• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
So from this we can determine that the mechanics of Steve were as much a strain on development of Smash DLC as a global pandemic. This ridiculousness is why we haven't gotten any news for the majority of the year
Yeah, it looks like Steve was an absolute beast to program. That explains the massive drought in info. It also makes me wonder whether the hypothetical E3 reveal was actually supposed to be a double. I'm thinking that Steve was going to go in solo due to the sheer amount of effort he alone required.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Pretty good presentation all around, I think. The FP1 amiibo all look very nice and I can't wait to pick them up. Unlucky for Travis fans, though.

Firox

Smash Master
GENO FANS, WE HAVE SURVIVED, TRAVIS IS DECONFIRMED
Ironically, Travis was one of the few characters I actually wanted. At least we've got a sexy new Bomberman costume. I'm gonna buy the crap out of that thing.

Man, they could've at least gave Travis a track like Sans.

Rip Travis.
Yeah, now I get why Suda51 said "no comment" about Travis' inclusion. He wasn't playing coy. He was butthurt. I honestly don't blame him.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Okay so to summarise, there are multiple new developments in speculation

• The Steve presentation was recorded in mid-August.
  • The next amiibos are releasing in 2021, you could argue that we took a small hit since that mario tourney now isnt gonna mean anything.
  • Gil was the returning mii costume this time
  • Travis got mii costumed. RIP travis fans, he seemed cool. Also Bomberman got miid
  • Theres going to be a lot of memes of sakurai holding a diamond pickaxe and sword, as well as the new minecraft costumes(creeper, pig and diamond armor costumes- Unfortunately, no Cacodemon, which imo, puts cacomallow into the grave.

Overall, we are still in a pretty good position, the only real negative is that we are going to be waiting until 2021 for the next fighter.

- Also, Steve looks really fun. I was always kinda meh on Steve but he looks REALLY cool and his moveset is sick!

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Also, something to note, why was he just called Travis, not No More Heros? Did anyone notice that
For the same reason the Assassin’s Creed and Fallout characters only used their original names. Potentially something with the ESRB not letting Nintendo show logos for M rated games. There’s actually a theory related to it called M Theory.

domriver

Smash Lord
My thoughts:
First off - MY GOD- The way Sakurai explained Steve's inclusion they went to hell and beyond for this character. Steve in my opinion seems like a complex character. Not bad. Sakurai's way of thinking to incorporate it into much Smash just omg. I hope you STEVEN FANS love it. Hell, Sakurai even convinced me to give it a try. lol
Next. Gil and Travis - Gil was a Mii costume we were waiting for. Travis - RIP. Sorry to all those who wanted Travis. Bomberman looks neat! I just might buy him. Though i prefer him to be playable. Felt like he got the deluxe treatment since his costume is 100% spot on.
For Geno: wow - cacomallow continues to thrive. No Geno Costume yet again. We are still on this wild ride of Sakurai.
I need Banjo/Kazooie amibo.

Heres to Geno for FP8 :geno: :geno:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So the good news? We did get one returning Mii Costume from Smash 4, and it was just Gil, the Mii Costume'd character who probably had the least likely chance of becoming playable anyway. Geno, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter live to fight another day.

The bad news? We still ended up with one major tragedy...

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts:

• The Smash team did a fantastic job bringing Steve & Alex to life. Having different stages grant different materials to them (but having competitive stages be balanced) was well-thought out also.
  • Minecraft Kirby was beautiful.
  • A Steve with lots materials is going to be one of the scariest fighters to face once you’re off the ledge.
  • Rest In Peace, Travis and Gil.
  • I need that Banjo Amiibo!!
  • The dream of Geno persists!

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Also, something to note, why was he just called Travis, not No More Heros? Did anyone notice that
I noticed that too. I forgot why, but I think it has something to do with copyright. They also did this with Altair and Vault Boy, where they were referred to as “Altair” and “Vault Boy”, but not in the overseas versions.
61126B4D-6033-4F8B-A2E4-503E39A353B4.jpeg

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Alright, let's run this down.
  • 2021 Amiibo. ****. We really are waiting until January atleast for 8. Atleast we can hope for a Game Awards reveal?
  • Travis is dead. RIP. Also, can we please ignore Hotgirl for the rest of time now?
  • Bomberman doesn't shock me, them making Mii Costumes out of existing assets was a huge thing in Smash 4 that they've only starting doing in Pass 2 this time around it seems.
  • Gil. Reaaaally starting to get worried about Lloyd. Both the Namco costumes have come back on their own, just like they did in 4.
  • Minecraft-only costumes, no other Microsoft stuff. Hmmmm.
  • No Geno or Chocobo. Still.
  • 6 Mii Costumes, just as I speculated on due to the post gap. Feels good.

Firox

Smash Master
Unfortunately, no Cacodemon, which imo, puts cacomallow into the grave.
Slow your roll there, dude. Just because we didn't see Caco doesn't mean it's dead. Remember how Steve was in the works for close to 5 years? Sakurai isn't averse to holding onto things until the most opportune moment. If we don't see anything by fighter 10, then I think it would be safe to say it's dead.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So Amiibo theory would suggest we won't get the next character until 2021, but they're releasing three in the next wave, so they are outpacing the character releases. So isn't it possible we could still get another character release after Steve this year to catch up a bit to the Amiibos?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Huh, looks like I was on to something after all.

So guys, I want you to contemplate this, okay?

We did in fact get 6 costumes, but only 1 of them was a returning one. I'm under the assumption that Lloyd and Geno are in and that a hat isn't worth returning. If you consider that this means those costumes won't return, that leaves only 2 costumes and not 5. However, if you REALLY think the chocobo hat is coming back I suppose you can argue for 3 costumes. The fact that we got so many new costumes I think is evidence that some of this old costumes are not coming back, mostly Lloyd and Geno.

Travis being a costume makes total sense here: Suda went from begging to saying no comment but it was to early for Travis to be considered as the pass was already decided. Sucks for Travis fans but I personally never saw it being anything more than that, and the fact that Suda suddenly clammed up like that makes more sense considering the content was coming so soon.

Let this be a lesson to those who believed Mondomega who had no history. Geno never made sense here, and Lloyd is the frontrunner if we do get a Bamco rep so he was never likely to show up costumed anyway. Also, I was right about no Cacodemon here. There is no way Nintendo doesn't known about Cacomallow and no way they would drop Cacodemon before revealing Geno.

Got to go do some remodeling guys. Remember to be more positive about things because we've honestly been on a roll.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Slow your roll there, dude. Just because we didn't see Caco doesn't mean it's dead. Remember how Steve was in the works for close to 5 years? Sakurai isn't averse to holding onto things until the most opportune moment. If we don't see anything by fighter 10, then I think it would be safe to say it's dead.
It makes ZERO sense from a game dev pipeline standpoint to model these costumes out more than a year and a half before their release when stuff sitting around is more prone to be leaked or retooled because of new glitches.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Gil returning is a pretty big hit against Namco as Lloyd is the only costume left and certainly wouldn't release with himself. Still weird he is MIA but since Gil and Heihachi have returned in different updates I'm thinking that will be the same for Lloyd.
Not really. We still could get another Namco rep if Lloyd isn't in like a Soul Calibur character or KOS-MOS hmm... MMMMM?!!!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wouldn't discount LLoyd ending up being released with a stylistically similar fighter in the future at some point either, even if it isn't one from Bandai Namco.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Anyone else get the feeling that Travis was Geno'ed?

I get the sense that they were trying to get Travis working, but just couldn't quite create something to make it authentic enough and ended up Mii'ing him.

Gil returning now is a boon too, tbh. One more Smash 4 holdover being fit in where ever a spot exists.

Tinfoil Hat: Gil was inserted here because Sakurai was aware of the Cacomallow leak and didn't quite want to tip the hand just yet.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Not really. We still could get another Namco rep if Lloyd isn't in like a Soul Calibur character or KOS-MOS hmm... MMMMM?!!!
I really don't think KOS-MOS since Harada didn't even think a Xenosaga remaster was profitable so that would be an immediate turn off from Nintendo. As for Soulcalibur, I feel as though they probably would prioritise Heihachi which we know they didn't so I personally doubt it too.

D

Deleted member

Again, it makes perfect sense for Joanna Dark to be there. I have no idea why some of these names are brought up with no explanation. Are they a list of rejected characters?

Heoj

Smash Ace
If im being honest, I really dont understand why we are so confident in Lloyd. I mean dont get me wrong, I like Lloyd, im not super familiar with Tales, but Ive seen different moveset ideas and Ive played him in SSF2 and he has sick moveset potential, but Im honestly 100% sure hes gonna get mii'd.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I really don't think KOS-MOS since Harada didn't even think a Xenosaga remaster was profitable so that would be an immediate turn off from Nintendo. As for Soulcalibur, I feel as though they probably would prioritise Heihachi which we know they didn't so I personally doubt it too.
A Soul Calibur rep? Yes please.

to be on topic:

Geno for FP 8 :geno: :geno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom