• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Alright, let's get my thoughts out on this real quick.
I'm not mad at this nor am I even surprised Minecraft is getting represented in Smash, let alone a fighter, but I swear that trailer really felt like it was playing with my emotions. The trailer starts out with all these 90's gaming icons clashing together, so obviously my initial guess as who it may be is Crash, who is one of my most wanted characters, so obviously I get hyped. But then, I suddenly realize that this isn't for Crash since Mario is knocked in to this black room. I was really thinking he was in Bowser's Keep from Mario RPG, so then I start to get hyped for Geno, because again, he is another one of my most wanteds, and then we're greeted to a door, and its Steve. Just Steve. After that, I just didn't even know how to react.

Even though I am a bit salty over the trailer really messing with me, I do have to admit that Steve looks fun to play as and I will definitely tune in to see what Steve has to offer on Saturday. Let's just hope Geno's outfit doesn't come back with him because then I would really feel like that would rub salt on the wound. I am happy for the Steve fans who did get their character since I do realize he was a heavily requested character, and Minecraft is such a cultural phenomenon, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed after that reveal.

Don't forget what I said yesterday, we still have four more spots left on the Fighters Pass, and its very likely Geno is in it. It just means today isn't his day like many of us thought. However, let's all not be debbie downers here, and let's congratulate a Steve fan who regularly comes to this thread almost everyday. Congrats TheCJBrine TheCJBrine !

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
But, if anything, this confirms that companies can have multiple third party reps per Smash installment. Microsoft has two now, proving the rules people arbitrarily come up with are wrong. Square can have two or more.
It's not two per DLC period, it's two per pass.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Not my preferred choice for a second Microsoft rep (my condolences to the Chief), but I asked for a character that was worth the wait and would get a ton of people excited, and a Minecraft character certainly fits the bill. Congrats to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine for getting his most wanted, and here's the rest of the thread getting its most wanted soon.

The potential Mii Fighter Costumes we might see this Saturday though, they're probably gonna be... a whole lot of something.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
This is what I expected, a character that would serve as a twist to subvert people's expectations. I love Minecraft as a game, but I acknowledge that Steve isn't as important as say, the Creeper or even the Enderman. I guess Nintendo wanted to ensure sales for the pass, and they got it.

D

Deleted member

It's a weird turn of events because even this fanbase has been like "oh, Geno would never be the headliner of an E3" and yet, here we are, Master Chief dead in Miami and Steve was the Hero/Daisy of E3 2020. Good Lord... 77 would have been absolutely perfect but holy hell if Geno was supposed to be the BIG reveal of E3 2020...
Was Steve heard alongside MC? If not, Nintendo went full on lockdown mode. The worst case scenario that we get a Square rep and it isn’t Geno making him leakbait and this is quite concerning. Geno was false info for Hero so hopefully he’s reality like Steve is this time.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Man its going to be really difficult to still be confident in genos chances. The best case scenario is that steve and geno were meant to be e3 reveals but then as they got delayed, maybe they decided to wait until the minecraft event to announce steve, and then they delayed the mario tournament so they can just and just be in time for genos release.

luffycrying.jpg

Droodle

Smash Lord
Congrats to CJBrine. I was thinking Steve was going to be in around August, but I got convinced it would be Chief; but you stuck with him a lot longer than I.

Excited to see the implications of this, as most people I know thought for sure it would be Chief if its another Microsoft character. I think most of the Steve rumors died after Banjo. Opens up the possibility for a lot more unpredictable characters. I wonder if this will change the perceptions of any other Western character, I'd say Crash has a decent shot still; but by no means a lock. At the very least, so far the 2 Western 3rd parties are also super popular in Japan.

Also no surprise twitter is crashing, Minecraft is MEGA popular literally everywhere.

Also I know the leak was most likely fake, but didn't it say "Western" and a character not a lot of people predict. It technically ended up being true, I guess.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Was Steve heard alongside MC? If not, Nintendo went full on lockdown mode. The worst case scenario that we get a Square rep and it isn’t Geno making him leakbait and this is quite concerning. Geno was false info for Hero so hopefully he’s reality like Steve is this time.
I mean I’ve long said this but at this point it’s obvious vergeben was leakbaited by Minecraft/Steve. But because of that leakbait people latched onto Steve who was a nobody as far as Smash speculation goes. And now Steve is in smash. The same is possible for Geno post-Grinch leak.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbh this means Geno would be our only hope at a relatively simple character should be be 8. Tbh him being revealed second at what would have been E3 is plausible since that was Banjo's slot last time after the Hero who would, in this scenario, be Steve as he doesn't only appeal to Japan but he appeals pretty much everywhere.

D

Deleted member

Thank you for the congrats I’m so freaking happy I even teared up during the stream. My two most wanteds are now in Smash (Banjo and Steve), and now Geno takes their place. Hopefully he’s not far behind, as he’s also reached most-wanted status for me.
Grats man! I was personally laughing my ass off as soon as I saw Steve, was so funny. His animations definitely looked weird as hell but I love em, wouldn't have it any other way lol

I guess the "Minecraft content" Verge was talking about is finally here. Honestly not even mad about this at all, Been playing Minecraft since beta, but poor Chief, man.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You know what? I'm ok with this. Would I prefer Chief? Yea, but I can't doubt Minecraft's impact and that he is an E3 level bombshell, he looks 100 times better than I ever imagined and I will never doubt Sakurai ever again in terms of making a character look good, and the only thing that would have made this better is it to have actually been at E3 to be completely full circle with Banjo. I am shook. I can't believe they both won in the end, arguably the best timeline for this weird ass arc.

Also while I'm saving judgement until we learn more on Saturday but I really don't think this conflicts with Geno at all and honestly I think it mostly lines up with the logic we've been operating on for the whole pass. Still a company already in Smash, still not a Square character.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The only thing this changes is the perceived chances of Master Chief happening, according to Fatman's speculation. I doubt Halo will be getting in, now.

Geno is UNAFFECTED. Just because he wasn't shown now doesn't mean he can't be in. This is just one of the other 4 fighter pack characters being revealed.

You're allowed to be upset, you're allowed to be disappointed, but don't just lose hope because you didn't see our boy today. Lot's of people didn't get to see who they wanted today, we all knew that going in.

I didn't really want Steve, either, but his moveset (including his animation, yikes) looks not only incredibly faithful to the series, but pretty much how I expected it to work in Smash. We literally have a terraforming character in Smash now.

The stage looks amazing, however. That much I expected.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This was E3?

I don't even know whats worse right now. Being left in limbo with possible hope or just being told "No".
Steve is a big deal no matter how you look at it. Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time so that alone shows Steve is something. If Steve was originally the opening act of Nintendo's planned E3 Presentation, than I can't imagine who they were saving for the finale because they must be HUGE.

Last edited:

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
not gonna lie. this

this was hilarious.

Steve and Alex come with 3 skins each, then it's enderman and zombie, which i find really nice. plus, their style is so different from the rest of the cast, like how Game and Watch is 2d instead of 3d

i actually am hyped for this character. they weren't on my most wanted, but they look fun to play.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, hypothetically, what if Steve and Geno were meant to parallel Hero and Banjo from last e3.

Hero: Dragon Quest is a legendary, respected and incredibly popular series (at least in Japan)
Banjo: Really an appeal to the hardcore smash fanbase who’ve wanted them for a while.

Steve: Minecraft is a legendary, respected and incredibly popular game pretty much everywhere.
Geno: Really an appeal to the hardcore smash fanbase who’ve wanted him for a while.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seriously, who is **** is 8?!? Steve is officially the first true Western character in Smash and he wasn't even supposed to be the E3 closer. I don't think you all grasp how significant that is. So, we now have 8, who by a decade and a half of E3 precedent is more than likely:

-a fan favorite

-90% third party

And again, this is supposed to be a character that tops Steve... That suggests an enormous fan favorite to me. It sucks that we're back to waiting but this is far from over.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Steve is disappointing in the sense that we only have 5 characters left so one of those not being one of your most wanted is always going to hurt to some degree. With that said Steve at least has a unique and imaginative moveset which is more than can be said for Byleth, so even if I'm not off the wall hyped I do think he's a fairly solid addition to the game. Good thing this happened after my Minecraft hate cooled down haha.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Sure wasn't expecting that. But correct me if I'm wrong here. Minecraft is part of Microsoft, isn't it? So yes, Master Chief would be out of the running, but what about Doom Slayer? Would he be roped in as a Microsoft rep or a Bethesda Rep? Up until recently I think he would be considered part of Microsoft. Maybe one of the costumes that comes with Steve is Doom Slayer AND Cacodemon? That is if we consider the Doom Franchise as Bethesda and not Microsoft. Lets see what mii costumes come with Steve, it may confirm some things. Just food for thought.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is what I expected, a character that would serve as a twist to subvert people's expectations. I love Minecraft as a game, but I acknowledge that Steve isn't as important as say, the Creeper or even the Enderman. I guess Nintendo wanted to ensure sales for the pass, and they got it.
Without a doubt. If Nintendo wanted to give Fighters Pass 2 a shot in the arm so it can sell gangbusters, you can't do much better than Minecraft.

The best case scenario is that steve and geno were meant to be e3 reveals but then as they got delayed, maybe they decided to wait until the minecraft event to announce steve, and then they delayed the mario tournament so they can just and just be in time for genos release.
If Steve and Geno were both revealed in a Direct like Hero and Banjo, I think their placements would be similar (Steve at the beginning to grab attention, then Geno near the end for a surprise).

Here's to hoping Geno is Fighter 8 and will come not too soon after.

Sure wasn't expecting that. But correct me if I'm wrong here. Minecraft is part of Microsoft, isn't it? So yes, Master Chief would be out of the running, but what about Doom Slayer? Would he be roped in as a Microsoft rep or a Bethesda Rep? Up until recently I think he would be considered part of Microsoft. Maybe one of the costumes that comes with Steve is Doom Slayer AND Cacodemon? That is if we consider the Doom Franchise as Bethesda and not Microsoft. Lets see what mii costumes come with Steve, it may confirm some things. Just food for thought.
After Microsoft bought ZeniMax and now owns Bethesda and ID, Doom Slayer could be a similar case to Joker. Technically a third rep for a parent company (Microsoft/Sega), but they're played up as reps for a subsidiary company (Bethesda/Atlus).

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
**** OFF WITH YOUR HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE MAN!

I don't care if this gets marked as flaming, your attitude is straight hot garbage. There is no reason to not be hype about this inclusion just because it's no Geno.

This thread will recover from this just like we have many a time before, and it's better to be hype and then be wrong then be a negative nancy like you and shove it in people's faces when you are right.
You're the one choosing to get upset

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I hope the wait between fighter 7 and 8 isn't nearly as long as 6 and 7. I feel like this hit harder than it had to just because of the wait between reveals.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Surely might be that they're still updating the site but, check out the Fighters page. https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/index.html

Still 5 "?" spots. Also, look at the background color of Steve. The color is a blue similar to Terry's, as Min Min's is similar to Banjo's. Could CP 8 be similar to Byleth's?

EDIT: Also, let's hope that we at least get a heads up of when to expect CP 8 after Saturday's "Mr. Sakurai Presents".
EDIT 2: Never mind, just saw Nintendo's tweet reminding of Saturday's character showcase and they specifically warn that there won't be any other character revealed in said presentation. (-_-)
EDIT 3: The fighters page has been dutifully updated and now it correctly shows only 4 "?" spots left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom