• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
IF, and I mean a big IF because i'm not asking for this, but IF we went Blizzard I'd much prefer these over an OW character:

Thrall

4_Hearthstone-Thrall.jpg

Warcraft is a legendary game, even if I stopped playing long ago. There are also other picks you could have, but Thrall's a badass.

Zealot (Or Karrigan)
Protoss_Zealot_2_by_SgtHK.jpg

A Protoss zealot, or Karrigan I guess, from Starcraft would be pretty cool. Not going to happen but yeah, you guys got me thinking about Blizzard.

Diablo
Diablo-2-logo.jpg

now that Ridley's not too big, Diablo could be added I guess.

Again, none of these are happening, and I'm not asking for them, I just would rather a more badass pick than Tracer if we're going Blizzard.

All I want is Geno.
Anyone else can join and I'd still be happy.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
I miss trophies, in particular the way that the ones in Melee had a classic version that reflected the way they looked in their old appearances. We could've had the actual 3d model this render came from as Geno's classic trophy.
That would have been so cool... Wish he would have got in earlier in the series.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Im feeling pretty confident for a sakurai presentation to be announced sometime this week, I definitely feel like ill just crash and burn but overall its looking pretty likely

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Strangely enough basing on patterns, there’s no usual 6am PST/9am EST announcement today, maybe we get something an hour from now?

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
IF, and I mean a big IF because i'm not asking for this, but IF we went Blizzard I'd much prefer these over an OW character:

Thrall

View attachment 287365

Warcraft is a legendary game, even if I stopped playing long ago. There are also other picks you could have, but Thrall's a badass.

Zealot (Or Karrigan)
View attachment 287366

A Protoss zealot, or Karrigan I guess, from Starcraft would be pretty cool. Not going to happen but yeah, you guys got me thinking about Blizzard.

Diablo
View attachment 287368

now that Ridley's not too big, Diablo could be added I guess.

Again, none of these are happening, and I'm not asking for them, I just would rather a more badass pick than Tracer if we're going Blizzard.

All I want is Geno.
Anyone else can join and I'd still be happy.
Why do people actually believe that the Christian ethos Devil will actually be put into smash. This is like borderline insanity. I've seen this many times now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Where do I even begin...

-Claims Tracer was decided earlier this year. Sakurai himself said the Season 2 picks were finalized by mid January.

-Nintendo confirmed that work was already being done on Season 2 as of September 2019. If Tracer was 7 but wasn't finalized until "the early months of 2020", this does not line up with the development timeline at all because the last character would have been negotiated around this time, not the second of six.

-Unless the person is a playtester, getting information on actual character stats is extremely hard.

-Claims to know Tracer's trailer; even more super specific information that typically only the developers themselves know until their debut.

Waaaaaaaaay too many red flags here.
Just because I'm annoyed this morning, I'm going to dunk on this rumor some more:

-7 was supposed to be the opening act for E3, no way in hell it was going to be the first true Western character addition to Smash.

-No offense to Tracer but going off the previous point, being the first true Western character to join Smash is a hell of an honor. Think about it... Every character up to this point has been Japanese or owned by Nintendo at some point. Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo are technically Western creations but were created when Nintendo owned RARE. The next Western character added is going to be a huge milestone and Tracer's competition is pretty monstrous. She's competing with global icons like Crash and Master Chief, nevermind Crash is owned by the same company as Tracer. She's up against characters that have not only had support for over a decade but come from big expansive franchises that basically defined their debut generation of gaming. It's unfair to compare them to the point of being cruel.

Last edited:

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
There was one on the 26th, most likely nothing important
it's interesting though. because i just checked nintendos playlisting page.

sure enough, it did get updated yesterday along with other playlists. and after doing some scrolling, i found about 7 private videos.

i don't think those videos were there before. i could be wrong

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why do people actually believe that the Christian ethos Devil will actually be put into smash. This is like borderline insanity. I've seen this many times now.

All things considered, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, particularly when Diablo's the face of a fairly big Blizzard series.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Just because I'm annoyed this morning, I'm going to dunk on this rumor some more:

-7 was supposed to be the opening act for E3, no way in hell it was going to be the first true Western character addition to Smash.

-No offense to Tracer but going off the previous point, being the first true Western character to join Smash is a hell of an honor. Think about it... Every character up to this point has been Japanese or owned by Nintendo at some point. Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo are technically Western creations but were created when Nintendo owned RARE. The next Western character added is going to be a huge milestone and Tracer's competition is pretty monstrous. She's competing with global icons like Crash and Master Chief, nevermind Crash is owned by the same company as Tracer. She's up against characters that have no only had support for over a decade but come from big expansive franchise that basically defined their debut generation of gaming. It's unfair to compare them to the point of being cruel.
Sure, but Crash in all his glory has faded through wear and tear. He's an "icon" of the 90s and early millennium if anything. But platformers falling out of favor combined with his mediocre to bad games after the original trilogy have pushed him off the deep end. He's has a resurgence selling 10 million copies with the trilogy and some great marketing. But Overwatch has sold 50 million copies, people know who the characters of OW are - especially Tracer. I'd argue more people know who Tracer is currently, especially younger people, than Crash.

Master Chief I think is pretty much what you've described and has suffered in the past 5 years probably to a lesser degree than Crash.

Overwatch is still very fresh in people's minds and was explosively popular as I pointed out above. Out of all the Blizzard characters to enter Smash - she's probably the one. WoW has plenty of lore characters, but none of them are charismatic or poster children of Blizzard. Even Thrall is a relative unknown because you could have played WoW and still never encountered him in the game. Overwatch has advertised itself very well and all of its characters. I know people have brought up other characters from Blizzard's games, but OW fits the best thematically with Smash/Nintendo. The game goes far out of its way to reduce violence and appeal to a younger audience as opposed to Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. I know that extremely violent games basically intersect with Smash at this point with Metal Gear and Bayonetta, but I have to play the "those are exceptions to the rule" and not the standard.

I'd say that there are plenty of Western characters that an equal or even better chance than Tracer. But I definitely don't see the incomparable scenario. She's extremely popular.

RetroBro

Smash Ace

All things considered, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, particularly when Diablo's the face of a fairly big Blizzard series.
No it is. These are cartoonish representations of "Devils"

Diablo is literally the "Lord of Terror" in his games. I've dedicated most of my life to play Diablo 1, 2, and 3. The representation that Diablo brings is something that will never be in Smash for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Didn't the person who started this latest Tracer rumour turn out to be a known GameFAQs troll? I'm not sure why it's still being discussed if that's the case.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder why the video presentation is only going to be about three minutes long. I assume it's just a trailer, followed by some comments from Sakurai, but it seems different from the usual Sakurai Presents format, at least from how it's worded. Maybe the character won't release for a while but they wanted to get an announcement out there?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sure, but Crash in all his glory has faded through wear and tear. He's an "icon" of the 90s and early millennium if anything. But platformers falling out of favor combined with his mediocre to bad games after the original trilogy have pushed him off the deep end. He's has a resurgence selling 10 million copies with the trilogy and some great marketing. But Overwatch has sold 50 million copies, people know who the characters of OW are - especially Tracer. I'd argue more people know who Tracer is currently, especially younger people, than Crash.

Master Chief I think is pretty much what you've described and has suffered in the past 5 years probably to a lesser degree than Crash.

Overwatch is still very fresh in people's minds and was explosively popular as I pointed out above. Out of all the Blizzard characters to enter Smash - she's probably the one. WoW has plenty of lore characters, but none of them are charismatic or poster children of Blizzard. Even Thrall is a relative unknown because you could have played WoW and still never encountered him in the game. Overwatch has advertised itself very well and all of its characters. I know people have brought up other characters from Blizzard's games, but OW fits the best thematically with Smash/Nintendo. The game goes far out of its way to reduce violence and appeal to a younger audience as opposed to Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. I know that extremely violent games basically intersect with Smash at this point with Metal Gear and Bayonetta, but I have to play the "those are exceptions to the rule" and not the standard.

I'd say that there are plenty of Western characters that an equal or even better chance than Tracer. But I definitely don't see the incomparable scenario. She's extremely popular.
She's popular but characters like Crash and Chief have been called literal rivals to Mario. Tracer is popular but characters like Crash and Chief are popular and have long legacies and are iconic around the world and are stars of "classic" games and are essentially the defacto mascots of their respective companies and... I could go on. Popularity is fine but, especially for third party characters, it's a sum of a whole kind of thing. Tracer has been a semi wanted for maybe a year and we're comparing that to characters from franchises with games in the double digits who have been wanted in Smash for years in double digits. I'm not saying she would be a bad character or even a bad choice but I'm extremely incredulous at the idea that she could pole vault the line when she's up against characters like Crash, Chief, Rayman, Doom Guy, etc.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Sakurai Presents is happening, guys!

Of course the guy with the Sonic avatar was speedy enough to post about it first.

THE DAY HAS COME! IT'S TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME! IT'S TIME! Ohhhh HOHOHOHOHOHOHO

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
I wonder why the video presentation is only going to be about three minutes long. I assume it's just a trailer, followed by some comments from Sakurai, but it seems different from the usual Sakurai Presents format, at least from how it's worded. Maybe the character won't release for a while but they wanted to get an announcement out there?
that may be the case. but that means it's time to get our hopes up!

it could be either next week or mid october when they come out, seeings as later weeks are for pokemon and pikmin

Genobros! i wish you luck for your boy!

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
WE DID IT WE WON FINALY. HONESLTY AT THIS POINT I DONT CARE ANYMORE THAT ITS 3 MINUTES!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom