• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
≥tease that the headliner of your second season of DLC is a character from a first party "fighting game" that stubbed its toe and fell down on the way out of the gate, leave the community arguing over which slinky armed son of a ***** is gonna be the one for THREE MONTHS
≥release Noodle Arms the Enchilada as the headliner of your second season of DLC. She is something of a buggy mess and T poses to assert dominance.
≥a fan made mod for Melee adds rollback netcode to the game and absolutely destroys any viability that Ultimate has online
≥take zero legal action against Slippi/streamers proudly showing it off despite the fact that it poses a clear threat to the sales of Ultimate and the DLC
Yeah bro, a new fighting game IP selling more than 2 million copies really was a total blunder, even though established fighting game series rarely make it to over 1 million. Could you be any more clueless? Maybe if you tried really hard? And Min Min worked fine, so I'm not sure what the hell you're on about there. And finally, the very idea that you think emulated Melee has any effect on Ultimate in any way is an actual joke. Please, go back to /v/.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Making another now rare post to just throw in my 2 cents that I think the smash announcement will be the week of the 5th. It waits out TGS/the Zelda info dump and is still a reasonable time frame to reveal and release a character. Also remember that this date:
  • Still honors amiibo theory
  • Lines up with the end day of the 7-Eleven ad
  • Works with the timing of tournaments and in game events
  • If this is indeed a Mario character, it predates the tournament in November
  • Explains all the pre-uploaded in-game announcements that were skipped
Isn't Mario 35 coming out that week too? Maybe related or maybe not

axel_

Smash Journeyman
He was only in one game, and as a side character.
You don't know anything about storytelling. Johnny Jones, Boshi, etc. are side characters. Geno is not.

Most people remember SMRPG more as the first game where you could play as Peach and Bowser, not quite for Mallow and Geno.
Subjective. You don't get to decide what most people remember SMRPG for.

And that's not counting actually relevant characters for their genre, to the history of video games, or plain popular main characters from big franchises/companies.
If you think Byleth and Joker are relevant to the history of video games then maybe Smash speculation isn't really the thing for you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bro if the direct ain't next week im throwing in the towel. We've been at this for literal months claiming it's gonna be next week for sure. It's actual insanity.
That's why I tucked my expectations into my fanny pack after September 10th and more or less to decided to not expect anything until the week of October 5th at the earliest. I don't know how people are still willing to do the week-by-week thing at this point.

T2by4

Smash Lord
That's why I tucked my expectations into my fanny pack after September 10th and more or less to decided to not expect anything until the week of October 5th at the earliest. I don't know how people are still willing to do the week-by-week thing at this point.
Not even gonna bother with october 5th. Just gonna wait to be surprised. No point on pinning dates. We've been wrong over a dozen times in the past few months. It's clear we have no idea what's actually going on.

QQS

Smash Lord
1D7D2EB4-61ED-471C-AE25-F4EB3A9A353B.jpeg

In maybe 10 days or less all Geno fans worldwide will be in this mood, just like when Gohan defeated Cell.

It’s good I understand, don’t expect a real date but, expect Geno playable cause it’s happening and we are living it. Very soon. I don’t have extra info nor anything. For me the facts and “coincidences” are so obvious and Geno will be playable. Don’t know if as #77, #81 or Bonus; but playable somewhere in DLC. I just think his evidence is so damn clear and stars are aligning. It’s impossible that he won’t make it this time...believe it.

EDIT:

GENO FALLS DOWN LIKE A SHOOTING STAR!

(this tagline could be so easily epic) and also the Awakens! Or Joins the Party!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
View attachment 286713
In maybe 10 days or less all Geno fans worldwide will be in this mood, just like when Gohan defeated Cell.

It’s good I understand, don’t expect a real date but, expect Geno playable cause it’s happening and we are living it. Very soon. I don’t have extra info nor anything. For me the facts and “coincidences” are so obvious and Geno will be playable. Don’t know if as #77, #81 or Bonus; but playable somewhere in DLC. I just think his evidence is so damn clear and stars are aligning. It’s impossible that he won’t make it this time...believe it.
2020 going downhill was really just Goku tossing Cell a senzu bean. I can't tell if Cell's already pulled his Super Perfect thing yet, and that's a little worrying.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you went back quite a few days and pages to just completely randomly avoid my argument, ignore my questions, and pull your own opinions out of your ass to dismiss mine...

You don't know anything about storytelling. Johnny Jones, Boshi, etc. are side characters. Geno is not.
Nobody would ever agree with you that Flynn, Presea, Lenna, Arc, Cyrus, Orik, are not side characters... And yet all of them are very important to their games. But do you even know who I'm talking about and from which games? Because they all are EXACTLY like Geno: playable characters you can take with you in a RPG...

Subjective. You don't get to decide what most people remember SMRPG for.
Strong argument there, I can't but you can? My entourage counts for nothing? You speak for the rest of humanity? I can't share years of my perspective and comments I've gathered in the video game fandom? Comments not gathered on a strongly biased for Geno subforum?

If you think Byleth and Joker are relevant to the history of video games then maybe Smash speculation isn't really the thing for you.
If you can't recognize that Three House and Persona 5 are the best selling games of their solid and good selling franchises, even if they are newer, you clearly don't know what you're talking about either...

And you go to prove the point I was talking about: there's been some genuine replies to my messages, but also a ton of completely toxic behavior like this. And this goes to show that the Geno community can be just as insulting and pointless as some people can be on the regular speculation thread, which was the topic this was all about, in case you cared. All this against my arguments that were not even against Geno to start with. But might as well sling pointless condescending comments than actually reflect on the idea originally brought.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, trends showcase that next week will likely be Animal Crossing week, likely with the October/Halloween update; they tend to release the AC stuff right at the end/beginning of a month.

The week of the 5th seems like the safest bet for Smash, as others have mentioned. We'll probably hear some info on who it is/who it may be from insiders next week, unless it turns out to be a Byleth situation; where Sakurai and Nintendo kept the character top secret until literally the last second.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Yeah, trends showcase that next week will likely be Animal Crossing week, likely with the October/Halloween update; they tend to release the AC stuff right at the end/beginning of a month.

The week of the 5th seems like the safest bet for Smash, as others have mentioned. We'll probably hear some info on who it is/who it may be from insiders next week, unless it turns out to be a Byleth situation; where Sakurai and Nintendo kept the character top secret until literally the last second.
I've been thinking this myself:

Animal Crossing is very time sensitive and seasonal, unlike Smash Bros. With a holiday event coming up they're gonna wanna push that as soon as they can, like beginning of the month soon. They won't throw Smash in there because they're gonna want everyone playing AC for at least a week before bringing Smash to us.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Just be safe with the hype and move the expectation to the 8th. It could come before but that seems like the bet. If there’s nothing by the 8th I’m going into full hype hibernation.

You’re welcome to play the “maybe tomorrow maybe next week” game 3 months in a row but that ain’t me Chief.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Well it isn't a Sakurai Presents, but the Animal Crossing: You've Animal Crossed Me for the LAST Time "Fall Update" got revealed so... scratch one anticipated announcement

Unless there's something else currently unannounced like Kirby Fighters 2, that just leaves Crown Tundra and Smash.

Just gotta tough it out for about 8 to 9 more days, possibly even less if we're lucky. They can't hold on to Fighter 7 forever.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Unless there's something else currently unannounced like Kirby Fighters 2, that just leaves Crown Tundra and Smash.

Just gotta tough it out for about 8 to 9 more days, possibly even less if we're lucky. They can't hold on to Fighter 7 forever.
Kirby Fighters 2 was released about 36 hours ago.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Hopefully Smash will be shown first since the Pokemon DLC doesn't come out until November.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And just like that, next week is open for either Smash or Pokemon. Doubtful of both, but Animal Crossing getting dropped on a Friday has me hopeful somewhat.
This week so far has give us Kirby Fighters 2 leaked and shadow-dropped, a Dragalia Lost update video, and now Animal Crossing... and there's still Age of Calamity tomorrow, even if it's during TGS and being presented by someone other than Nintendo.

Smash and Pokemon sharing next week seems unlikely, but still definitely possible.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I wake up this morning to a true gem indeed: Nintendo showing pessimists that they've been going crazy in September and that the train hasn't stopped yet.

So, now that the Halloween Update for ACNH has been announced, what else is there for Nintendo to really hold onto before letting Sakurai reveal CP7.

Think about this critically: we've seen Mario, LoZ, Kirby, AC and we already got our 3rd Party friends out of the way. DK isn't as big as it once was and is likely next year anyway, MP4 still isn't ready, Star Fox is dead unless Ubisoft makes it apparently, Yoshi already got a game recently, new LoZ game has a dedicated breakdown video tomorrow and leaked new Kirby isn't likely to be for this year.

That leaves us with just Pokemon and Smash, two titans in their own right. However, we all well know that Pokemon is kinda treated as it's own thing and their DLC drops November 30th, which to me sounds like their time to shine is in October or even early November as I believe it was around June 2 when they announced the official release date of Isle of Armor to be on June 17th. That said, we've already had Pokemon and Smash very close to one another, what with Pokemon having two big announcements in June and one of them being on the 24th when Mr. Sakurai Presents Min-Min was on the 22nd. Thus, it is entirely possible for us to get Pokemon and Smash news in the same week, but unlikely due to the window of time still left for Crown Tundra vs Smash running low on time.

Now, I REALLY want you guys to focus on this. I actually wanted to make a video about this but I likely won't have time before the discussion moves on or we get real Smash news, so I'll just say it here for now: the 7/11 Ad gives us everything we needed to know that CP7 NEEDS to be revealed this coming week at the latest.

Firstly, the previous ads always had the character release with a relatively short amount of time before the ad was pulled, baring Joker who released shortly after. Before it was revealed in March that we had an ARMS rep coming, there was a 7/11 ad for FP2, meaning we also have evidence of a character being revealed (even if it was only the franchise) during the time a 7/11 ad was up, but the most important part of it all is this: putting up this ad only to reveal CP7 after the ad is pulled makes no sense and is in sense a waste of money.

See, everyone knows that FP2 is available for purchase, and everyone already knows Min-Min is the only character revealed for that pass thus far. Everyone who would have bought it just for the hype of having 6 more characters or who thought Min-Min was proof of faith enough to buy the pass as already done so by now. It makes no sense to remind everyone about the pass having 5 more characters coming right at this moment because your likely consumer base is so low...unless, you are reminding everyone because the next character is getting revealed soon, and tying it in with this ad will remind everyone again that they can get them and Min-Min and the next 4 character for $30.

CP7 can be released after the ad is pulled and that doesn't change anything, but CP7 HAS to be revealed before the ad gets pulled or they just wasted tons of money on poor advertising just to remind people of something they already know about and aren't likely to buy because they have already.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I was fully convinced that we would get fighter 7 before the end of September so I am disappointed that we are probably looking to October 8 at the earliest. That being said I will give it to the 8th to remain fully on the hype train. After that if we get nothing I think I'm just done caring. Thank goodness I've found For The King to keep me busy. Such a good game.

D

Deleted member

Just remembered “Geno blowing up Japan in Smash Kingdom” lol Let’s hope he doesn’t have to do that again. Or at least wait until the game ships worldwide again 😆
If Geno is in Smash, there would be an Smash Kingdom episode where he finally redeems himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, if next week is news time. Who is going to get it? Smash DLC challenger 7 (possibly 8) or Pokémon Crown Tundra DLC update?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hopefully we get an announcement for SMASH today. :C
With the announcement for New Horizon's Halloween update, I'm fairly confident the Sakurai Presents will happen next week. It's also plausible since we got a Smash tournament going on tomorrow

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Smash is now sitting at the bottom of the top 10 titles per week according to Famitsu and is doing worse than a ****ing soccer game. I have no idea why Nintendo hates Ultimate the way they do but at this point it's just willful negligence.
Are you expecting Smash to sell well forever? 20 Million is extraordinary.

Brawl sold around 13-14 million with a longer lifespan and a larger install base (the wii).

You should drop the sales argument in my opinion - it's just not a sound point. There is a limit to every game's sales and it may well already be hitting a ceiling in general. That could be for many reasons, perhaps people just aren't into party/fighting games. Maybe platform fighters aren't your thing. Maybe they don't have friends to play with, we could probably go on for a while with the reasons.

Point being, given the circumstances of it being the best selling smash game ever. There isn't much room to criticize Nintendo's marketing strategy with it, they've clearly done their job on this one. Now if we want to talk about about interest in DLC sales, that's a whole other story. Although I'm not 100% where the stats are on DLC.

It'd be interesting to see if there's a drop off in DLC sales depending on the time between each character.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If we’re at the point where they’re basically pulling out everything that they would have otherwise revealed before or at E3, the only thing really left to show is whatever Smash announcement(s) were gonna be at E3. Crown Tundra has two months, it can wait, which really just leaves Smash. With the 7/11 ad ending next week, we kind of have to get something beforehand, or as Forsaken said it would be a waste of money to either reprint the same ad or replace it with something new only for the Smash DLC to be announced a week or two afterwards

D

Deleted member

Are you expecting Smash to sell well forever? 20 Million is extraordinary.

Brawl sold around 13-14 million with a longer lifespan and a larger install base (the wii).

You should drop the sales argument in my opinion - it's just not a sound point. There is a limit to every game's sales and it may well already be hitting a ceiling in general. That could be for many reasons, perhaps people just aren't into party/fighting games. Maybe platform fighters aren't your thing. Maybe they don't have friends to play with, we could probably go on for a while with the reasons.

Point being, given the circumstances of it being the best selling smash game ever. There isn't much room to criticize Nintendo's marketing strategy with it, they've clearly done their job on this one. Now if we want to talk about about interest in DLC sales, that's a whole other story. Although I'm not 100% where the stats are on DLC.

It'd be interesting to see if there's a drop off in DLC sales depending on the time between each character.
Forever? No, what a silly thought. But, with Switches flying off the shelves as fast as they can be put onto them, I would expect Smash to continue to make waves. I'm not thinking it has a chance to beat Animal Crossing or the most recent Switch release, but I do expect one of the flagship titles for the Switch to beat sports games.

EDIT:

And just to bring it up, the Wii install base is not a good metric because grandma bought the Wii to do yoga. Adoption of that console was casual gaming based and the gritty looking Super Smash Bros. Brawl with angry Mario on the front was not gonna be what Cooking Mama and Wii Sports Resort "gamers" were buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom