• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
It's funny when people call SMRPG a niche title that nobody knows and isn't important.. Considering it was the one that sparked the entire Mario RPG set of series (Origami King released not too long ago - it wouldn't even exist without Geno and SMRPG), was and still is popular enough to constantly be re-released, is responsible for the majority of the Mario characters' characterizations such as Bowser in particular, and - correct me if I'm wrong here - was a pretty important stepping stone for RPGs in general in the west.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've been mostly gone for a while, so I'm not up to date on what's going on. I heard something about update files or photos or something on the smash website that imply a new character soon? What's that all about?

Firox

Smash Master
Probably no one important.

Just to clear up some misconceptions: I don't work with GameXplain on any videos. I did a discussion with them once? Most of the time they just repost my translations.

Also, I don't officially work on Source Gaming anymore.
I still push some updates to things like the Definitive Unused Fighter List, and Smash Ultimate Timeline in order to help people get the right information.

I just do DYKG (research, fact checking and video editing), Memory Card and my own personal Twitter. I did invent "Hype Responsibly." It was a title of an article I wrote way back in the day. Nirbion is the one who made it into a meme! Anyway, I'll go back to lurking.
Holy crap! It's really you!

In that case, I just got one question.....why push Dustin? What did he ever do to you?

T2by4

Smash Lord
Probably no one important.

Just to clear up some misconceptions: I don't work with GameXplain on any videos. I did a discussion with them once? Most of the time they just repost my translations.

I still push some updates to things like the Definitive Unused Fighter List, and Smash Ultimate Timeline in order to help people get the right information.

I just do DYKG (research, fact checking and video editing), Memory Card and my own personal Twitter. I did invent "Hype Responsibly." It was a title of an article I wrote way back in the day. Nirbion is the one who made it into a meme! Anyway, I'll go back to lurking.
You're pretty much the go to guy for any and all translations I look to. You da man for hooking the nintendo community up, good stuff.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know u have a lot of sources, but are their any rumors of more conventional platforming keerby, or even a 3D kirby game?
Basically it was leaked last September that HAL was working on at least one Kirby game. In the spring around HAL's 40th anniversary, HAL didn't explicitly say they were working on a Kirby game but said the goal of the next Kirby game was to "have it be the pinnacle of the series." In my own research, I've found that Kirby himself is one of the Smash 4 Amiibo not rereleased yet for some strange reason. Beyond this, nobody on my end has heard specifics but Spawnwave was pretty blunt on Twitter yesterday and saying Kirby Fighters 2: King Dedede Goes to 7/11 probably wasn't "the big Kirby game" that HAL has been secretly working on but it shouldn't be too long before we see it.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I just do DYKG (research, fact checking and video editing), Memory Card and my own personal Twitter.
Oh good, it looks like there were some misconceptions after all. Maybe that means you didn't take part in creating that awful meme that everyone spams to curb people's excitement every time something potentially big comes up and...

I did invent "Hype Responsibly." It was a title of an article I wrote way back in the day. Nirbion is the one who made it into a meme! Anyway, I'll go back to lurking.

sigh

EDIT: Wait, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are you telling me you and this thread haven't seen the huge leak about a new 3D Kirby game? The fact that so many files were left in Kirby Fighters 2's Default.bin?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh good, it looks like there were some misconceptions after all. Maybe that means you didn't take part in creating that awful meme that everyone spams to curb people's excitement every time something potentially big comes up and...

sigh

EDIT: Wait, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are you telling me you and this thread haven't seen the huge leak about a new 3D Kirby game? The fact that so many files were left in Kirby Fighters 2's Default.bin?
Currently in a meeting so I'm not caught up yet. Basically we're getting these things in a few weeks that look like flamethrowers but blast disinfectant. They come with a backpack and everything. They're weirdly badass.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, I can safely guess that Nintendo doesn't have smash in mind for this week with the Toyko Game Show still ongoing (aside from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity more information coming in 2 days.). Though, I would be careful of coincidences since it can lead to disappointment once Challenger 7 (and possibly 8?) is revealed.

T2by4

Smash Lord
PushDustIn PushDustIn Honest thoughts on Geno's chances? I saw you made a post deconfirming that fake 4chan post about geno being a bonus fighter like plant. Do you think he's got a shot overall though?

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
For now, I can safely guess that Nintendo doesn't have smash in mind for this week with the Toyko Game Show still ongoing (aside from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity more information coming in 2 days.). Though, I would be careful of coincidences since it can lead to disappointment once Challenger 7 (and possibly 8?) is revealed.
Super excited for that. But seriously NIntendo just reveal Geno now? please? Just get it over with it. you have bigger fish to fry :troll:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm expecting the announcement and the Sakurai Presents to take place next week

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Nintendo does reveal Challenger 7 either the final days of September or the first two weeks of October, then Challenger 8 is maybe a holiday releases on December or January 2021. Though, I doubt that a double character reveal in the Sakurai Presents video may happen since it was stated last time in the ARMS present showcase (before Min Min was revealed as the ARMS rep).

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman

sigh

do you have a source for this leak? im looking but the only leak i can find is how fighters 2 itself was leaked, noothing about any files in it

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Nintendo does reveal Challenger 7 either the final days of September or the first two weeks of October, then Challenger 8 is maybe a holiday releases on December or January 2021. Though, I doubt that a double character reveal in the Sakurai Presents video may happen since it was stated last time in the ARMS present showcase (before Min Min was revealed as the ARMS rep).
I can see them sneaking FP8 in December to try to make up for lost time

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can see them sneaking FP8 in December to try to make up for lost time
So, do you think a Double character reveal is possible with the current situation worldwide? I do think it is possible to make it up due to the unfortunate schedule and info drop change.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, do you think a Double character reveal is possible with the current situation worldwide? I do think it is possible to make it up due to the unfortunate schedule and info drop change.
I certainly think it's possible to see a Sakurai Presents in late November or early December.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I certainly think it's possible to see a Sakurai Presents in late November or early December.
November wouldn't be the case since that is a month after the last Sakurai Presents video. December or January 2021 may be the target for the next one

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Hey Geno Gang, I turn 16 today!
Happy birthday!
Hope you enjoy the max of life at that age, time is still maneagable at your age.
----
Man, I'm gonna straight up post a part of an essay for a lit class where I explain a little why I love SMRPG
"

I was a child the first time I had nostalgia.The summer of 1997.
My brother and I came from a school day, one of the last weeks of kindergarten for me. We went straight towards our Grandpa ́s room and turned on the Super. Hoping to play, what at the time were crazy impressive graphics of Super Mario RPG. They looked like clay to us, but they were pre rendered 3d graphics. Colors so bright that they could seem to have taste for the eye.
---
Additions to essay:
(We managed to play through the game once! Then, the snes one day gave out, mysteriously.
In hindsight, I bet it fell off or someone dropped water to the electrical port,my grandpas had a fish tank near the tv for some reason)
---
Very simple, in hindsight. Super Mario RPG had one of the best stories for a kid. It took what is mostly a blank classic canvas of the hero saves the princess from a dragon.( Yes, Bowser is a Koopa, which is inspired from a japanese mythological monster named Kappa. In the end, it's a giant lizard that breathes fire.)

So that game subverted expectations by doing the following;
Mario has to save Princess Peach from Bowser story is done in the first twenty minutes of the game.
The big bad and hero get blasted by the new bad guys.
The hero meets a crybaby cloud and a star warrior pinocchio in the meanwhile.
The villain ́s objective is to get rid of wishes and make the world full of weapons( If it sounds familiar, don't ́t look at me.Look at congress for the last twenty years).
Bowser and Peach team up with the rest of this motley crew to save the land.
Also, the last stage is a weapon factory and the villain transforms like several times and looks like one robotic Santa Claus.

That's a lot to digest for a six year old but I was entranced by this clay world. I wanted more of it, and there wasn't any more.
This game was akin to John The Baptist when it comes to things that inspired me to write. It had character and a charm that is undeniable whenever I see a video or play it. A magic that is intrinsic to it. And what is the first thing one does when you discover a beautiful inspiring thing. Look for more of the stuff, and if there's not any of it?
Well, make more of it. We used to try and fail to draw the characters. We tried to make clay figures of the characters, and we used to take it from the stationery. But it's really hard for a kid. I tried writing short fan fiction about it but it was terrible and I knew it"
----
Addition:
I compare SMRPG to John the baptiste,because it was my first rpg. But my second rpg is probably my favorite one, it's not super hard to guess though.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I dunno why I'm awake now instead of later, but I suddenly woke up and felt weird, so I started playing SM64 (this is like the beginning of a creepypasta, I know) but at least in this 'didn't really sleep enough' mindset, I can definitely see what people are talking about when they say this game is creepy - and I think it comes from viewing it through the lens of someone who's already seen what will come later in 3D games. Going this far back, it feels sort of... fake. These paintings and the castle itself don't feel like real places. Nobody lives here. Nobody dies here. Nothing exists in these paintings beyond the minimum of what you need to collect stars, and the ground abruptly drops off into a void past where it needs to be. Even OoT feels so much more real and lived-in. Even the little things that try to 'justify' the stars like the captain's note claiming that the star is their treasure in Jolly Roger Bay feel artificial, like it's just enough to make sense as long as you don't think about it for longer than a few seconds. ..And then you do, and you realize that not only did Bowser hide the stars there just recently so this 'captain' couldn't have had that as an old treasure, but the whole 'find my treasure if you open the chests in the right order' thing doesn't quite make sense - and wait, why is the bay completely surrounded by rock walls with no way out-

. . .Yeah, I can definitely see why this game is creepy. It's still a fun game, and it can be cheerful and lighthearted when it wants to, but there's something off about it.

Compare that to SMRPG, because really that's the Mushroom Kingdom we're leaving before we go into 64's version - there are actual towns, people have families and jobs and can be put in danger and saved from it. A couple joyfully tells you that they're going to be married soon... and then they actually get married. They even have a honeymoon. And this all largely takes place in the background while you're focusing on your own story, because that's how a real world works. Not forgetting that Raz and Raini first speak to Mario as if they're old friends who've known each other for a while. People from different towns occasionally reference each other. And then there's that chase scene on Booster Hill where you can look out into the distant background and see all of the other locations, exactly where they should be in relation to each other, and you understand that you're in a real, consistent world - this is here, and that is there. We don't even really get that again until Sunshine, to put that into perspective.

You get the impression that this is a real, living world that people inhabit and things actually happen there, constantly, whether you're looking or not. Now, I understand that there would obviously be some trouble translating that to early 64 titles while they were still figuring things out, but like I just pointed out OoT managed it well enough. These early titles are a mixed bag, honestly - some of them can be pretty okay in terms of feeling like actual places, but then some of them just feel wrong.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, not to get too long winded but Nintendo THEMSELVES have accidentally leaked in the last month and a half that major Smash, Zelda, DK, Kirby, and hardware announcements are in the near future and is it any small wonder that many of us are testy AF at the moment?
Yep, I just want to see FP7 revealed and hopefully FP8 before the year ends

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
You guys take hyping responsibly as like some kind of threat

I've seen the cycle happen all year: We get fired up because we think its happening and it doesn't and this thread turns into like a funeral and we're miserable; I'm guilty too. July 20th was the worst when we got all these teases and signs of Geno and then we got WWE Battleground.

We don't say "Hype Responsibly" to ruin your fun, we say it because we know how bad the blow out can be and keeping your expectations in check will not only keep you sane, but make the sweet victory even SWEETER

So yeah HYPE RESPONSIBLY

Droodle

Smash Lord
So, not to get too long winded but Nintendo THEMSELVES have accidentally leaked in the last month and a half that major Smash, Zelda, DK, Kirby, and hardware announcements are in the near future and is it any small wonder that many of us are testy AF at the moment?
Doesn't really have to be anytime soon though, for all we know; those announcements are coming next year. In fact, outside of Smash I'd bet on it.

-It makes 0 sense to announce the Switch Pro before Christmas, because if it comes next March; then it'd just be draining potential Christmas sales. Nintendo typically has a short time between announcement of new hardware and release too. Both Switch and new 3ds XL were a little more than a month.

-Most of the Zelda/DK announcements are likely planned for their anniversaries next year, in fact I'd bet on a Zelda Direct in February considering that people will eat the WII U ports of WW/TP and a Skyward Sword HD up. Heck, Nintendo literally said not to expect BOTW 2 news in the near future, so I don't really see where you get the idea that Nintendo leaked major Zelda announcements in the near future.

-Kirby just has fighters 2 leak, and I know Spawnwave "hinted" at more Kirby stuff, but they really weren't leaks. I'm pretty sure HAL has said that they have multiple Kirby games in development for a while now, and that they want to make the best Kirby game that they can next.

So yeah I don't really think we're due for a big presentation anytime soon, most things point away from it. It'll likely be partner directs till the end of the year, maybe with a game-specific mini for things like Hyrule Warriors 2 (but I doubt it). And this isn't me being pessimistic, it just makes sense.

Our first actual general/mini will likely be next January. Where they'll probably go over the likes of Switch Pro, and games releasing in the 1st half of 2021. Then we'll likely have minis for Zelda and Pokemon anniversaries in February.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom