• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The first time I heard the name Geno was when I first saw the Rawest Forest Mushroom video and Smash Kingdom videos on Youtube and Newgrounds back in the late 2000s. Even though Geno hasn't really been one of my most wanted characters for Smash, I've been a Geno supporter since then.

First time I played SMRPG was on the Wii VC back in 2012 and I stopped around the Coal Mines because I sucked and still suck at RPGs. Years later when I got the SNES Mini I picked the game up again and finished it.

My support for Geno grew stronger after I heard about Fatman's long journey in the Smash community to get him in. Honestly, I just hope Geno makes it in so Fatman and the rest of you that have been waiting for the doll for over 2 decades get's a happy ending.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
View attachment 286562

I often get asked a lot why I'm still doing this after 15 years and my biggest reason is because it's what 8 year old me would have wanted. Most of these are when I was 8, but the lion costume one and the one without glasses are younger but the point remains the same. Eight year old me cried at the end of SMRPG because I had the sinking that Geno, my favorite character in my favorite game to this day, was never coming back. This was a kid that was afraid of the dark, was way too tall for his age, struggled making friends, had to go to speech therapy and anger management, had ADHD, cried very easily, had nightmares fairly frequently, and often felt like there was no place in the world where he belonged. 24 years later, things are much better off but a lot of it wasn't easy and it was beyond the confidence of 8 year old me.

Aside from my current job, I've largely turned into who 8 year old wished he could be. I often wish I could tell him that things would work out in the end. Despite prolonged times of sadness, loneliness, fear, and even self loathing, things have come around. I'd want to tell him that he gets married, gets multiple degrees, learns to grow his own pumpkins, becomes master of his home kitchen, he drinks coffee black and whiskey without a chaser, gets published in several books, travels around the world, makes amends with his dad and, yes, even his sister, and makes lots of friends. I want to tell him that as the air starts to cool and his favorite time of the year approaches, thanks to years of support from friends and fellow fans from around the world, Geno's coming back soon.

He'll be four times the age he is now but I want him to know that the road leading up to it is going to be extraordinary. The wait will be long but it will definitely be worth it. I want him to know despite all his self doubt, he pulls through and that he had it in him the whole time without even knowing. His wishes are going to come true because him and many others around the world never gave up. He's not alone, never has been, and things will get better for him as time marches on...
I haven't been around SmashBoards for as many years as some here, but with what I've had the opportunity of learning within the Geno thread is that, I fervently hope we get the announcement of Geno finally making it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as one of the upcoming dlc fighters. Not so much because I want to see him join, but more so as a dedication, a tribute to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . Upon reading the numerous theorycrafts, anecdotes, and understanding the longevity of his support towards Geno; truly He has proven to be one of the bastions of support towards the character. All the fans that have been eagerly awaiting Geno's inclusion to the roster are just as deserving, but I gotta admit that our resident Popeye deserves the front row seat; VIP.

Sakurai: "Also, I would like to send a special shoutout to a long time supporter of Geno. You may know him on the Internet as Fatmanonice. This one's for you."

cue You Say Run ost

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario RPG was one of the first games I saved up for as a kid. I was doing extra chores, cutting neighbors' lawns, helping my family clean this doctor's office. Once I finally saved up enough money, I had to really convince my father to drive me to the store and let me buy it. He thought video games were a huge waste of time and also didn't want me to spend that much money at once. Once I finally picked it up, it became one of my favorite games.

I've been wanting Geno in another game, especially Smash Bros, ever since.

D

Deleted member

So I'm working on a meme, but it requires people who have been rooting for Geno for as long as Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and I have, which is to say since we played the game in 1996.

Who here has rooted for Geno since 1996 or 2007/2008? I'm making another one of the whole thread but I specifically need one about all us old Geno folk.
After seeing that Peach had a double slap jab combo, a parasol and a frying pan, I was super confident that I was about to unlock Geno back in Melee. Been waiting for the day ever since.

Like any good Geno fan, I'm dying on the inside.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
So I'm working on a meme, but it requires people who have been rooting for Geno for as long as Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and I have, which is to say since we played the game in 1996.

Who here has rooted for Geno since 1996 or 2007/2008? I'm making another one of the whole thread but I specifically need one about all us old Geno folk.
I've lurked here on smash boards since the smash Wii u/3ds, but I've wanting both Mallow and Geno since the original smash bros.

I used to go on the forums that Nintendo used to have on their website and (regretfully) Gamefaqs (each was during the brawl days).

I know my profile here only shows I've been active on here for about a year, and that's because I forgot my original username and password...

I played super Mario RPG since its release and would play it over the years on my SNES until the Wii virtual console released it, and then on the Wii u (I might be wrong on the systems, but I know each time it has been re-released, I have bought it)

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I still remember going with my dad when I was 8 to go to Best Buy to pick up Super Mario RPG, and seeing a big banner for the game hanging from the ceiling. I've always dreamt of the lucky sob (if anyone) who got to keep that.
Funny Canadian moment - I didn’t realize Best Buy was old enough to be around when SMRPG was released. I don’t think Best Buy came to Canada until 2004 or so.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man, this week has already been nutty but today added more to it:

-Nintendo accidentally leaks a full ass Kirby game, basically proving the Kirby rumors since last fall right and proving our theorycraft that Kirby was likely one of the E3 reveals.

-Metal Gear Collection leaked for PC. Some people think this low key suggests it'll probably come to Switch too since most of the other Konami collections have.

-Nintendo accidentally leaks the next Smash photo contest. Provides numbering for the next 12 updates, heavily implying the next Smash reveal is likely no more than two weeks off.

-Zhuge casually mentions the possibility of a 3D Zelda collection next year.

Damnit, Nintendo! Enough smoke, I want the fire! THROW ME INTO THE FIRE! LET ME BE CONSOOOOOOMED BY THE FIRE!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

-Nintendo accidentally leaks a full ass Kirby game, basically proving the Kirby rumors since last fall right and proving our theorycraft that Kirby was likely one of the E3 reveals.

-Metal Gear Collection leaked for PC. Some people think this low key suggests it'll probably come to Switch too since most of the other Konami collections have.

-Nintendo accidentally leaks the next Smash photo contest. Provides numbering for the next 12 updates, heavily implying the next Smash reveal is likely no more than two weeks off.

Damnit, Nintendo! Enough smoke, I want the fire! THROW ME INTO THE FIRE! LET ME BE CONSOOOOOOMED BY THE FIRE!
I know u have a lot of sources, but are their any rumors of more conventional platforming keerby, or even a 3D kirby game?

TTF

Smash Journeyman

I AM THE BOWSER OF DIRECTFIRE! AND I BRING YOU...

a random user

Smash Journeyman

Nintendo- how about we shadow drop fire logs at midnight over the course of a few months instead?

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice

A Metal Gear collection on Switch would be amazing.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo notified me on Twitter with this post and I almost lost it solely reading the top sentence until I clicked on the notification
disgaea is far more turn based "strategy" than it is rpg, the rpg part is mostly grinding for stats to do post game levels in the land of carnage

pinshadow

Smash Lord
For the record, let me explain a few things. I don't think I jumped the gun last night or anything, it's still a very good indicator that the next character is soon, buuuut I did some digging and other stuff came up.
  • The filename was not from the Smash in-game website, but the Official Nintendo Website posting the images with the exact same filenames as they WOULD have on the in-game website.
Why does that matter? Well, looking at past contests I realized there's a decent wait between when they publish the results on the official Nintendo website and actually get them in-game, likely due to having to translate all of Sakurai's comments into different languages.

Contest 1 : February 20th-February 25th : 5 days.
Contest 2 : March 26th-April 9th : 14 days.
Contest 3 : April 24th-May 7th : 13 days.
Contest 4 : June 4th-June 16th : 12 days.
Contest 5 : July 17th-July 25th : 8 days.
Contest 6 : December 4th-December 17th : 14 days
Contest 7 : February 14th-February 20th : 6 days
Contest 8 : June 10th-June 18th : 8 days

So yea, anywhere between 5-14 days really. There's really only one option here given what we know.
  • I don't think they've ever pushed an update/release during this gap. First time for everything I know, but we might not get the results in-game for another two weeks, and if that holds true here we won't be getting a release until after that, which... actually kinda lines up since we know the character is almost certainly not getting announced this week, meaning a reveal next week and a release the week after is the best case scenario at the moment.
Also, from what I can tell the number jumping doesn't mean the character has been skipped over, I:E they were meant to release earlier but their release got delayed or something. What it means is that all of the posts are ready to go for the character (which again, fantastic indicator we are close to release) and when they added the photo contest results they just skipped over all the "reserved" spaces.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

As someone who also first played Mario RPG in 1996, I can't overstate enough how much of a game changer it was to not only novice fans of RPG's like I was at the time (wait you're telling me I can't jump on enemies and go into a battle screen instead?) but also that this was the game that really gave the Mario universe a sense of something beyond the obstacle course like levels in had been.

Yes there had been various spin-offs of the franchise that expanded things out a bit (Yoshi's Safari, Dr. Mario, Mario Kart) there were all defined by their status as just that, alternate style games that featured the Mario cast. And Yoshi's Island had introduced a sense of timeline via its status as a prequel and its slightly alternate forms of enemies. Mario RPG though, made the setting a living breathing world for the first time; coins as currency, different lands with characters to interact with, a formal sense of scale for what the Mario landscape was. It was the first time in an actual Mario title felt like it went beyond just having stock characters and basic set pieces into a comprehension of universe that included ordinary people living ordinary lives.

The Paper Mario titles, the Mario Kart series, and most recently Odyssey have gotten a lot well deserved credit for having genuine worlds and really defining elements of the franchise, with New Donk City in the latter game as one example. And yet Mario RPG was the first to genuinely break that door down; even in a year that had an actual 3D Mario game that proved to be one of the most immersive experiences gaming had ever seen at that point in Mario 64? In many ways its the former game that truly gave the series three dimensions by virtue of being a title that wasn't just hopping on enemies and rescuing the princess.

The 2D games proved the series would be fun. Mario RPG proved it could be even more than that.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Also, from what I can tell the number jumping doesn't mean the character has been skipped over, I:E they were meant to release earlier but their release got delayed or something. What it means is that all of the posts are ready to go for the character (which again, fantastic indicator we are close to release) and when they added the photo contest results they just skipped over all the "reserved" spaces.
Dude, in your last post you said that it was likely they saved those spots for the new character and their content. Then you come out saying that probably isn't the case while then IMMEDIATELY saying that is what happened but with different words.

If it wasn't dedicated to a character that was supposed to be released already, they would not reserve and spots and just change the content.

It's okay for Geno to have good news my dude, you don't have to backpedal out of doubt.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Dude, in your last post you said that it was likely they saved those spots for the new character and their content. Then you come out saying that probably isn't the case while then IMMEDIATELY saying that is what happened but with different words.

If it wasn't dedicated to a character that was supposed to be released already, they would not reserve and spots and just change the content.

It's okay for Geno to have good news my dude, you don't have to backpedal out of doubt.
I'm not backpedaling? I'm seeing people trying to use this as evidence that 7 was meant to be released earlier in September when this doesn't really point to that. What this does point to is that 7's posts are all reserved and ready to go, that doesn't mean they were delayed or anything, just that it's all scheduled and likely in the system.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I don't post very often in this thread but I read through it everyday. I played SMRPG when I was really young, probably in like 2000/2001, and it's always been one of my favorite games of all-time. I didn't realize Geno was such a wanted Smash character until I got into Smash 4 speculation on smashboards like a year or two leading up to it's release. Back then, all I wanted was for Nintendo to acknowledge SMRPG again, and now around 7 years later it really feels like Geno has a good shot and could even be the next character. It's amazing.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’m not crying reading everyone’s childhood stories, you’re crying! I just have uh, dirt in my eye, is all.

Okay in all seriousness it’s super touching seeing everyone’s history with Geno and his origin game.

I wrote a big old text post about my history with SMRPG and Geno in Smash, so I put it in a spoiler so that I didn’t take up half the dang screen:

I was born in 2002, which makes me one of those “Gen Z” cryptids you keep hearing about. One of my earliest exposures to video games was Super Mario RPG when I saw my uncle playing the game as a wee toddler. The game stuck out to me because, well, I was a toddler; flashing lights and noises are like crack for dumb kids like me.

I wasn’t able to actually sit down and play Super Mario RPG until 2007, when my uncle let me borrow his SNES to play SMRPG (I guess I made my interest in the game very obvious as a child or something). So I got my dad to hook the SNES up to our CRT, and the rest is history.

I fondly remember coming home from school as a kid and always being super excited to play the game. This game helped me learn how to read, how many games can you say helped you do that? Maybe like two or three actually, wait that was a dumb questio-

Since this was one of my first games as a child, I was under the impression that Mallow and Geno were reoccurring characters in the Mario universe, so I was shocked to find out they never appeared again outside of Geno getting a cameo in Superstar Saga. It wasn’t until I got Smash Brawl that 7/8 year old me realized, “Oh crap, does anyone even remember Mallow and Geno?”

I took to the internet (Had to get a parent to teach me how to use the internet for this) and was relieved to find out that Mallow and Geno were still alive in the hearts of many, and a lot of that can be accredited to Smash speculation. I was too young and nervous to post to Smash forums but I always got enjoyment out of reading the forum messages on my old craptop. And thus began my journey.

SMRPG is a wonderful game that shaped my childhood and made me the person I am. It’s witty humor, fun combat system, and simple yet touching writing always gets a reaction out of me to this day. I’ve also met so many amazing people thanks to a shared love of SMRPG, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Sidenote: I am definitely one of those weirdos who wants Mallow to return almost as much as Geno. These two feel inseparable in my eyes, however I don’t want Mallow as his own character (At least not anytime soon). All I ask is that Mallow is included in one of Geno’s taunts or attacks, nothing more. These two embody SMRPG for me, so this is my own selfish desire.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I remember buying my copy of SMRPG used from a Blockbuster in Houston back in 96'. The first RPG I ever enjoyed, I was 8 at the time and have been a Geno fan ever since. I only began Smash speculation during brawl so it was around that time I realized he needed a Smash invite.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well, I hope that one of those playable characters is Marx. Since his appearance in Smash and Kirby Switch I've been hoping for him to appear more.
I hope to see all of the Dream Friends as Playable in this game.

Seeing how they could easily reuse all of the assests to have them playable (because all of the Kirby spin offs so far have reused the same engine and assests as the main games) not having the chance to play as Gooey or even Adeleine would be tragic.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My history with Mario RPG is in 2018 after Ridley and K Rool I was positive we’d also get Banjo and Geno. So I quickly picked up an SNES classic and played Super Metroid (which I’ve yet to finish) DKC (which has become one of my favorite game series) and Super Mario rpg (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

Now we got Banjo (who’s game I also love). But we’re still missing one...

Don’t exactly have a 20 year history with the game, but I’d still like to see Geno make it. He’s a cool character, and he’s represent the Mario RPGs and their origin greatly.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Reposting my comment from the newcomer thread.

Regardless of whether the leak/rumor of the 6 mii costumes turns out to be true. I fully expect speculation to take a turn due to a mii costume/costumes in the next DLC.

So far as other have said, we are missing 6 mii costumes, and every wave typically has 1-2 mii returning mii costumes.

Joker: Tails and Knuckles (wave of 6)
Hero: None (exception) (wave of 4)
Banjo: Proto-man and Zero (wave of 5)
Terry: Jacky and Akira (wave of 5)
Byleth: X and Megaman.EXE (wave of 5)
Min Min: Heihachi (wave of 5)

So currently we are missing 6 costumes which are:

• Chocobo (Square)
  • Geno (Square)
  • Lloyd (Namco)
  • Gil (Namco)
  • Rathalos outfit (Capcom)
  • Hunter outfit (Capcom)

Of note, Geno, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter all have a good bit of discussion in speculation. So unless we get another "exception" like Hero's wave, we can expect at least 1 of these 6 costumes to return in some way. Geno, Lloyd, and Hunter as said previously, would probably the biggest storm in speculation/controversy; as all three of them are decently requested. Monster Hunter costumes returning would also throw a loop in the "perceived" chances for someone like Dante (unless the costumes come with him, of course), as people will bring up the point of why they didn't save them for a Capcom wave. Likewise, Gil and Chocobo returning would also hurt the communities perceived chances for Geno/Square or Lloyd/Namco (Heihachi kinda did hurt already) showing up in the pass.

I know some people are expecting all 6 of these to be shown of in the next presentation, which while I think is unlikely is still within the realm of possibility (still unlikely though). Though the chances of getting 1-2 of these is super likely, and unless there is an exception, I know a lot of expectations about the next 4 characters will change. So I fully expect speculation to be kind of wild/toxic after the next reveal (which to be fair, it always is).

TL;DR; Expect a lot of fan-favorites/"expected" characters to take a hit in the community because of the costumes in the next reveal. Obviously for you guys, if Geno is character 7; you don't need to worry about this.

Last edited:

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman

I’m day 1! I scream-cried like crazy as a little kid when my parents accidentally sold my SMRPG official guidebook at a garage sale (I was flipping through it madly obsessed & set it down for just a minute to go to the bathroom)... we hunted the kid down who bought it at the sale & got it back hahaha. I didn’t even own the game yet bc I was poor but was just so obsessed with the designs (GENO most of all ofc). Saved all my money & we eventually got to buy it. I’ve played it I swear 100x through & campaigned for his inclusion in Smash since then very beginning. I’m 32, primo age, been shouting for GENO to the heavens all these years.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
As much sense as it makes to have Geno next with all the emphasis on seven. But knowing Sakurai, I shouldn’t expect him to do it unfortunately. I’m starting to accept that whomever seven was, it was probably supposed to be revealed at E3 with Min Min in a double reveal. So it’s probably going to be Crash Bandicoot.
Terry is kind of a low key character that unless you played KOF you didn’t know who he was. So that gives me hope that this second DLC won’t all be shills for financial logic(I hope)

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman

I even legit have this saved to my IG highlights when I first thought it was finally happening (109 weeks ago xD) bahhaha-
F118A8DB-3C24-447D-90B0-9217EA01AD64.jpeg

Genokie

Smash Rookie

I know I'm newish here, but Geno has been my favorite since I first played SMRPG back in the 90s. I can't say that I was asking for him in Melee since I didn't know about the game until it came out, but from the reveal of Brawl onwards, I've been hoping for Geno, and have had to see my friends get their most-wanted characters join the fight (Cloud and Banjo-Kazooie). Really hoping that Geno gets in through what seems like his last (for real this time) chance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regarding the Mii costume discussion, Square Enix content has only come with other Square Enix content. Cloud came with two Square Enix costumes. Hero came with four. Square Enix characters haven't even been allowed to be used in spirit events unless literally all the others belong to Square Enix too like with Trials of Mana and Octopath Traveler. This is one of the big things pointing to one of the remaining 5 packs being dedicated to Square Enix and thus a Square Enix character. We basically first determined that last fall thanks to Judge Heihachi and Power of Six theory.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
A bit bummed out that as we approach Thursday it would seem that we won't be getting any announcements regarding Smash this week. :( On the other hand, at least Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity news will be coming up this Saturday alongside the Smash Nintendo VS tournament. Hopefully next week will be it?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
As far as fellow old dogs-

I’m 1988
32 already, time needs to slow down.

I’ve played SMRPG on every system it’s come out on and multiple times on many.

I love Geno as a character, but more than anything I just love the game, and every character in it.

But playing Geno specifically would feel like a way to channel my appreciation properly. (I mean Mario Bowser and Peach are already technically reps). And bless the crybaby Nimbus Prince... but yeah- it has to be Geno to represent our gem of a game. I don’t feel like Mallow would mind watching from the sidelines anyway.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As far as fellow old dogs-
View attachment 286611
I’m 1988
32 already, time needs to slow down.

I’ve played SMRPG on every system it’s come out on and multiple times on many.

I love Geno as a character, but more than anything I just love the game, and every character in it.

But playing Geno specifically would feel like a way to channel my appreciation properly. (I mean Mario Bowser and Peach are already technically reps). And bless the crybaby Nimbus Prince... but yeah- it has to be Geno to represent our gem of a game. I don’t feel like Mallow would mind watching from the sidelines anyway.
No kidding! That said, I am one year older than you.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm not old enough to have played SMRPG when it first came out, but I am old enough to have grabbed it physically in-person in one of the last smaller game stores, before those all vanished around here. It was one of the handful of games I got alongside my SNES, along with Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and Megaman X (who I didn't know anything about, having only grown up playing the Mega Man classic series on my cousin's NES). I dunno the exact date, but I'm gonna say 2003-2004?

The Gamecube was technically my generation's console, and it's the first console I could call my own, but even before that I'd grown up with the NES, which tends to blur things a bit.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Basically the Geno thread once pinshadow pinshadow brings evidence that Smash news might finally be on the horizon
28EBE0A9-A955-47C0-BD73-D5F714A3D5C3.jpeg

I agree with Fatman that I'd like to be consumed by the fire. Yes please, Sakurai. Throw me into it.

(Also I usually don't have a problem with mods on this site, but I weirdly got a troll warning in here for the meme I posted last time. Apparently someone thought I was making fun of the Geno thread or something somehow? ...which is weird because I say like every week how much I like this thread and want Geno for you guys...)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I agree with Fatman that I'd like to be consumed by the fire. Yes please, Sakurai. Throw me into it.
>The Geno thread when Fighter 7 is getting close...
By the way, if Tony Jay were still alive, he would seriously be one of the best choices for a Smithy voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom