• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Say, doesn't this Kirby Fighters 2 leak feel like news may actually be coming up soon, despite TGS? I mean, rather than a leak, or an "oopsie", this almost seems like if it was deliberate.
I think this is kind of the biggest takeaway from what just happened; It wasn't even a retailer that made the Oopsie this time, it was Nintendo themselves. There has to be something of note right around the corner. Maybe. Hopefully?

Griselda

Smash Lord
'Breath of Evil' doesn't feel like a Zelda title. I'm pretty sure whatever title this game will have won't match up well with any of the ones people have come up with - I remember well back when we were still calling BoTW 'Zelda U' and we didn't know that the Sheikah Slate was a magic tablet, and people thought it was a book. The title people suggested back then was 'The Sheikah Tome' or something like that. I feel like that 'Breath of Evil' title alone is enough for me to not take that supposed leak seriously.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The moral of the story?

Seething hatred is pointless and short-lived, but love is positivity, productivity, and lasts forever. :)
Yay, it's nice to see you back! :)

(Maybe you were always here and I was being dumb, but I felt like you haven't been here in forever!)

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I think this is kind of the biggest takeaway from what just happened; It wasn't even a retailer that made the Oopsie this time, it was Nintendo themselves. There has to be something of note right around the corner. Maybe. Hopefully?
Bandana Waddledee for smash confirmed

Heoj

Smash Ace
Honestly its most likely just going to be a random twitter shadowdrop, probably this week.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, at the very least we know we aren't getting a Sakurai Presents this week now, right? This is probably our announcement for the week(?) I'm not really surprised, fills the quota for the obligitory "yearly Kirby game" and didn't the team say they had some spinoffs they were working on? That being said, is this the kind of thing they would reveal alone? I mean it's a 20 dollar eshop Kirby spinoff, unless it's getting RELEASED tomorrow I don't think it's big enough to carry hype on its own. You know, the kind of game that would benefit being part of some kind of larger presentation?

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Say, doesn't this Kirby Fighters 2 leak feel like news may actually be coming up soon, despite TGS? I mean, rather than a leak, or an "oopsie", this almost seems like if it was deliberate.
I told you guys that Nintendo isn't above doing their own slip-ups to deter any would-be infiltrators or outside influences. This happened last year with the SNK copyright.

QQS

Smash Lord
Min Min was revealed in June 22 and released in June 29. She is already 3 months since the reveal; and next Tuesday she will be 3 months since her release. It’s even more if you consider that “A fighter from Arms will join” was on March 26.

All of this + Joker/Hero amiibo + Mario tournament in Smash + Geno’s chances to fit the number #7 + Square taking the second spot in a Fighter Pass again + a Third party rep being more likely due to there were two First party in a row + that póster that says until October 4th: makes very likely that #7 reveal is inminent.

Now: the missing costume + the takedowns + Min Min base game Spirit upgraded to a Fighter + this is the Smash that will make everyone happy + not just recognizable; fun to play + easily top 3 most wanted left +fit the #7 spot and the Mario themed tourney + Sakurai wanting Geno since Brawl + Fan Demand fulfilled: makes very likely that #7 is Geno.

7322B2A0-76D4-4EC1-852F-2747E6ABB82A.jpeg

Credits to artist on Instagram.

If you ask me, Geno is IN in a 100% chances.

GENO LANDS FROM THE STARS!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
UHHH GUYS, I might have something here.
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/f9fa4f48-6413-46a1-8f73-6ca7390648ca
So the new Smash JP Picture Contest results got posted, big whoop. They are on the official Nintendo website, but not the Smash in-game website. So why am I talking about this?

The URL for the images still uses the filenames they WOULD have on the in-game website.
https://topics-cdn.nintendo.co.jp/image/2020/09/15230204662314/800/2103_news_01.jpg
Notice the news number is 103. The last news number that was used on the in-game site?
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/fbaa2e35/img/2091_list.jpg
91. That's a 12 post gap, meaning that THE NEXT UPDATES BATCH OF POSTS ARE SEEMINGLY SCHEDULED.

This HAS happened atleast one other time from memory. The Eight Smash Art Dojo Contest was posted on June 18th and skipped to number 90, with Min Min being released 11 days later using all the numbers before that for that packs posts.

IT'S HAPPENING BOYS.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
So the new Smash JP Picture Contest results got posted, big whoop. They are on the official Nintendo website, but not the Smash in-game website. So why am I talking about this?

The URL for the images still uses the filenames they WOULD have on the in-game website.
https://topics-cdn.nintendo.co.jp/image/2020/09/15230204662314/800/2103_news_01.jpg
Notice the news number is 103. The last news number that was used on the in-game site?
91. That's a 12 post gap, meaning that THE NEXT UPDATES BATCH OF POSTS ARE SEEMINGLY SCHEDULED.

This HAS happened atleast one other time from memory. The Eight Smash Art Dojo Contest was posted on June 18th and skipped to number 90, with Min Min being released 11 days later using all the numbers before that for that packs posts.

IT'S HAPPENING BOYS.
Imma be honest, I dont really understand any of this but it sounds interesting!
genomemedude.png

Noipoi

Howdy!

IT'S HAPPENING BOYS.
Mayhaps a much anticipated event is drawing near!

The time of excitement is rapidly approaching!

Things are lookin up!

50B4D5EF-A68B-496C-8491-FEAE21002424.gif

IT’S HAPPENING

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Imma be honest, I dont really understand any of this but it sounds interesting!
View attachment 286542
It's pretty simple really. The in-game smash website (the way the game shows you stuff like events and pop-ups, ect) can be accessed through any old internet browser since, well, it's just a website. By inspecting the images you can see that each news post, spirit event, and tourney is assigned a number and they tend to go chronologically. For whatever reason (despite seemingly not doing this before as I've just checked) the official Nintendo website posted images from the last Smash photo contest using the same filenames as they would have on the ingame website, which tells us the post number is 103. And since it doesn't line up chronologically, as the last news post was number 91, the only explanation for such a large gap is that a batch of posts coinciding with an update is coming.

Based on past precedent (if you can't tell, I've been keeping track of this seemingly pointless knowledge for awhile now) let me try and stitch together what the post order could/should look like. We've got 11 slots to work with.

• 92: Version 9.0.0 Coming Soon (posted a few days before the update to warn people about replays and then hidden when the update goes live)
  • 93: Software Update Available : Version 9.0.0
  • 94: "Fighter 7" Challenger Pack Available for Purchase
  • 95: Fighter Pass Vol. 2 Avalible for Purchase!
  • 96: Mii Costume 1
  • 97: Mii Costume 2
  • 98: Mii Costume 3
  • 99: Mii Costume 4
  • 100: Mii Costume 5 (?)
  • 101: Mii Costume 6 (?)
  • 102: Exclusive Offer For Switch Online Members (?)
  • 103: 9th Photo Contest Results
For the record, I'm somewhat unsure about the last 3. The last 3 characters all had Exclusive Offers For Switch Online Members released alongside them, so we can reasonably assume that's what one of the last 3 slots is. But the other 2? The only reasonable thing to assume they are is Mii Costumes, and 6 has been our limit so far, though we haven't had a character come with 6 since what, Joker? Though that was before stuff likely started getting moved around... don't read TOO much into it, since there really isn't much to get out of it, but I think we can atleast partially assume 7 is indeed coming with 6 costumes. Hmmm.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty simple really. The in-game smash website (the way the game shows you stuff like events and pop-ups, ect) can be accessed through any old internet browser since, well, it's just a website. By inspecting the images you can see that each news post, spirit event, and tourney is assigned a number and they tend to go chronologically. For whatever reason (despite seemingly not doing this before as I've just checked) the official Nintendo website posted images from the last Smash photo contest using the same filenames as they would have on the ingame website, which tells us the post number is 103. And since it doesn't line up chronologically, as the last news post was number 91, the only explanation for such a large gap is that a batch of posts coinciding with an update is coming.

Based on past precedent (if you can't tell, I've been keeping track of this seemingly pointless knowledge for awhile now) let me try and stitch together what the post order could/should look like. We've got 11 slots to work with.

• 92: Version 9.0.0 Coming Soon (posted a few days before the update to warn people about replays)
  • 93: Software Update Available : Version 9.0.0
  • 94: "Fighter 7" Challenger Pack Available for Purchase
  • 95: Fighter Pass Vol. 2 Avalible for Purchase!
  • 96: Mii Costume 1
  • 97: Mii Costume 2
  • 98: Mii Costume 3
  • 99: Mii Costume 4
  • 100: Mii Costume 5 (?)
  • 101: Mii Costume 6 (?)
  • 102: Exclusive Offer For Switch Online Members (?)
  • 103: 9th Photo Contest Results
For the record, I'm somewhat unsure about the last 3. The last 3 characters all had Exclusive Offers For Switch Online Members released alongside them, so we can reasonably assume that's what one of the last 3 slots is. But the other 2? The only reasonable thing to assume they are is Mii Costumes, and 6 has been our limit so far, though we haven't had a character come with 6 since what, Joker? Though that was before stuff likely started getting moved around... don't read TOO much into it, since there really isn't much to get out of it, but I think we can atleast partially assume 7 is indeed coming with 6 costumes. Hmmm.
Aren't stages getting a news update thing?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Do you think the possibility of coming with six costumes would point towards Geno not being 7?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Aren't stages getting a news update thing?
Nope, that's covered in the Challenger Pack. Here's the official website if you want to check anything.
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/index.html

Do you think the possibility of coming with six costumes would point towards Geno not being 7?
IDK. It doesn't really mean anything other than "Character 7 is probably coming with 6 costumes". Hero came with 4 NEW costumes, Geno could easily also and have the 2 returning Square costumes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m not sure if Nintendo would want to pay the rights of a 3rd party costume alongside a playable character. Why buy the costume when there is the real thing? But at the same time, there were DLC costumes of already playable characters in Smash 4 like Samus, Fox, and Falcon however, they’re first party. It’s like MegaMan playable then a Megaman costume. Guess we’ll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I think Geno’s Mii costume pack would be Mallow, Smithy, Crono, Chocobo, possibly another FF character and maybe 2B.

Reactions: QQS

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't really see why Geno's Mii costume wouldn't come back along with him as a fighter, since it'd just be more money for them in the end, and they already have it ready. And I don't think that it'd be absent just because he's a fighter, since we have costumes of Falcon, Samus, Link etc.

Reactions: QQS

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

IT'S HAPPENING BOYS.
The best part about this is Min Min was revealed on June 22nd, 4 days after June 18th. If this pattern holds true for the next fighter, we could be seeing a reveal VERY soon.

My god. It’s happening. The anticipation has driven me insane but it’s almost time.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't really see why Geno's Mii costume wouldn't come back along with him as a fighter, since it'd just be more money for them in the end, and they already have it ready. And I don't think that it'd be absent just because he's a fighter, since we have costumes of Falcon, Samus, Link etc.
I mean, I think it's probably a case of 'why buy it when he's already playable'. That's a tendency for all Ultimates DLC outfits they seem to just be flat out ignoring characters who are already playable despite the inordinately large amount there was in Smash 4.

On the topic of Geno Mii outfits, ones which are a given are obviously Smithy and Mallow. I think it would be cool if they did Bowyer but somehow had him shoot from his bow body. Impractical and dare I say impossible but would be really cool. Exor would work perfectly as a skin of the sword for swordfighter even if he would be scaled down but that would obviously mean he needs an actual outfit. Dunno what though. More FF costumes and the Chocobo hat returning seems a given. Maybe something for Chrono, maybe some Bravely Default love? It would be pretty cool if one of the protags were outfits but when you changed the mii type it would be concordant with a different class in Bravely Default whatever best fits being treated moreso as a class change of sorts. All of them would be the dream but feasibly it would probably just be Agnes themed and maybe at a stretch we could get Tiz when it's put over a male. I'd love Edea as she's my favourite but it would probably come down to those 2. It would be cool if they did all of that but eh.

They could also pull some stuff from Bravely Second I suppose but they have been quite strict with letting content from games that aren't out yet into Smash with first parties quite a lot and it's quite a lot more restrictive with third parties. The only instance I remember is one Metal Gear track from Brawl IIRC but not much aside from that.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean, I think it's probably a case of 'why buy it when he's already playable'. That's a tendency for all Ultimates DLC outfits they seem to just be flat out ignoring characters who are already playable despite the inordinately large amount there was in Smash 4.

On the topic of Geno Mii outfits, ones which are a given are obviously Smithy and Mallow. I think it would be cool if they did Bowyer but somehow had him shoot from his bow body. Impractical and dare I say impossible but would be really cool. Exor would work perfectly as a skin of the sword for swordfighter even if he would be scaled down but that would obviously mean he needs an actual outfit. Dunno what though. More FF costumes and the Chocobo hat returning seems a given. Maybe something for Chrono, maybe some Bravely Default love? It would be pretty cool if one of the protags were outfits but when you changed the mii type it would be concordant with a different class in Bravely Default whatever best fits being treated moreso as a class change of sorts. All of them would be the dream but feasibly it would probably just be Agnes themed and maybe at a stretch we could get Tiz when it's put over a male. I'd love Edea as she's my favourite but it would probably come down to those 2. It would be cool if they did all of that but eh.

They could also pull some stuff from Bravely Second I suppose but they have been quite strict with letting content from games that aren't out yet into Smash with first parties quite a lot and it's quite a lot more restrictive with third parties. The only instance I remember is one Metal Gear track from Brawl IIRC but not much aside from that.
At the very least, I think Geno is bringing with him one Super Mario RPG costume (likely something based on Mallow or Smithy) and one Final Fantasy costume (very likely the Chocobo hat from Smash 4).

I'm more curious about what other potential Square Enix costumes he could bring, if he comes with any. Besides Chocobo, would he bring in costumes from other Final Fantasy games? Would he bring in more Dragon Quest costumes, since Hero brought in only four? What about the main characters from Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? Would he bring Mana costumes? Bravely Default? Octopath Traveler? Brave Fencer Musashi? Nier? Ogre Battle? Tomb Raider? Legacy of Kain? Anything from Taito?

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I think the costume will come back even if Geno makes it as a fighter, just as you said: they have it ready and it will be more money for them. And there may be people who only buy the Mii costumes and not the DLC fighters, since they are bought separately after all, so it would cover all possibilities. Now, I have no idea who would prefer to buy a Geno Mii costume over the actual character, but I guess the possibility is still there so better to capitalize on all grounds. And, like you said, we have examples of Mii costumes of fighters in the game already anyway.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Huh.. I don’t think it would be considered a direct though but we’ll have to wait and see

Trevenant

Smash Lord
These direct archives are literally only updated for actual directs just for additional context before we start theorizing it's for a Sakurai Presents. The only things that are in the archive which don't have direct in the name are just their E3 press and they are obviously still directs either way. It's probably a game specific direct tbh. Maybe a Kirby one to reveal the new game.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

IT'S HAPPENING BOYS.
We technically already had the 7/11 ad for this, but yeah, this does still help reinforce the idea that Fighter 7 is supposed to be finished, revealed, and released by October 4th. Definitely feels like things are starting to ramp up now... we're just missing the most important thing, and just take a wild guess what that is...

These direct archives are literally only updated for actual directs just for additional context before we start theorizing it's for a Sakurai Presents. The only things that are in the archive which don't have direct in the name are just their E3 press and they are obviously still directs either way. It's probably a game specific direct tbh. Maybe a Kirby one to reveal the new game.
I wouldn't disagree that Kirby Fighters 2 leaking means we're getting some sort of Direct, but unless there's multiple other upcoming Kirby stuff we don't know about, I don't know if we'd get a Kirby-focused Direct just to reveal what's essentially a spin-off game.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I think Geno’s Mii costume pack would be Mallow, Smithy, Crono, Chocobo, possibly another FF character and maybe 2B.
His mii costumes would most likely be

mallow

smiffy

chocabo

thag red shell mii costume from the mario series that was dropped from the base game

Cacco demon thing from doom

And then a premium costume from a company.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
We technically already had the 7/11 ad for this, but yeah, this does still help reinforce the idea that Fighter 7 is supposed to be finished, revealed, and released by October 4th. Definitely feels like things are starting to ramp up now... we're just missing the most important thing, and just take a wild guess what that is...

I wouldn't disagree that Kirby Fighters 2 leaking means we're getting some sort of Direct, but unless there's multiple other upcoming Kirby stuff we don't know about, I don't know if we'd get a Kirby-focused Direct just to reveal what's essentially a spin-off game.
I don't really think it's a Kirby focussed direct mainly just spitballing. Maybe a Zelda one since there's obviously BoTW 2 and more Age Of Calamity stuff. Whatever it is, it kind of has to be game specific since a partner showcase wouldn't show up this prematurely. I'd like to say Smash but I'm personally just expecting a Sakurai Presents for that

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't really think it's a Kirby focussed direct mainly just spitballing. Maybe a Zelda one since there's obviously BoTW 2 and more Age Of Calamity stuff. Whatever it is, it kind of has to be game specific since a partner showcase wouldn't show up this prematurely. I'd like to say Smash but I'm personally just expecting a Sakurai Presents for that
We've already got Age of Calamity showing up at TGS this weekend courtesy of Koei Tecmo, and while it's possible that Breath of the Wild 2 may get its own Direct, not only would I not hold my breath on that, it wouldn't explain why Kirby Fighters 2 of all things got leaked instead of a Breath of the Wild 2 Direct. Plus, we already got a Partner Showcase for September last week, and it was simply labeled "September 2020", meaning we likely aren't getting another one until October starts.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
We've already got Age of Calamity showing up at TGS this weekend courtesy of Koei Tecmo, and while it's possible that Breath of the Wild 2 may get its own Direct, not only would I not hold my breath on that, it wouldn't explain why Kirby Fighters 2 of all things got leaked instead of a Breath of the Wild 2 Direct. Plus, we already got a Partner Showcase for September last week, and it was simply labeled "September 2020", meaning we likely aren't getting another one until October starts.
I pointed out why it probably isn't partner related but my question is what else could it be? They seem to have killed off general directs for the remainder of the year and a partner showcase, like i said wouldn't be added this prematurely as it would be for October. Only real series which could get one are Kirby, Zelda, at a big stretch Pikmin, or something which we just don't know yet.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I woke up thinking about the Kirby Fighters 2 leak and remembering to what other instance it reminded me of and, a similar leak (straight out of Nintendo) occurred back when it accidentally uploaded a Castlevania soundtrack to the SSBU playlist on YouTube. This happened before the August 8th, 2018 Smash Direct in which Simon and Richter Belmont were revealed. For the moment, I'll be keeping an eye out for a potential Direct of some sort (whether a General, a Mini-First-Party-Focused, or a Smash) gets announced for tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

Huh.. I don’t think it would be considered a direct though but we’ll have to wait and see
Life has been sad ever since smashboards stopped letting me greentext but I can try hard. You can't remove this relic of toxic /v/ culture that easily, board developers.

≥a whole ass kirby game leaks by Nintendo's own hand
≥direct archive updates
≥there's more evidence that a lot of Smash information is missing

But Pushdustin said "no".

Sure, we've had some rough rides, but this is convincing evidence that maybe we're looking at something a bit more smooth. I don't know why this dude gets off on trying to temper people's expectations but I wish he'd pick up a normal vice like drugs or alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Life has been sad ever since smashboards stopped letting me greentext but I can try hard. You can't remove this relic of toxic /v/ culture that easily, board developers.

≥a whole ass kirby game leaks by Nintendo's own hand
≥direct archive updates
≥there's more evidence that a lot of Smash information is missing

But Pushdustin said "no".

Sure, we've had some rough rides, but this is convincing evidence that maybe we're looking at something a bit more smooth. I don't know why this dude gets off on trying to temper people's expectations but I wish he'd pick up a normal vice like drugs or alcohol.
I don't think PushDustin is 'getting off' on tempering expectations, but considering the kind of Twitter feed he runs, he has to at least be impartial with the information he puts out, because if he otherwise decides to go all-in on something, then he's going to have to deal with a horde of people crowding his account later demanding why he dared to get their hopes up by "leaking" information about a hidden YouTube direct in the archives or whatever in the event things don't peter out as expected.

Push seems like a decent dude who regularly goes out of his way to provide translations of articles and information that we would otherwise not be privy to; of course he wouldn't want to jeopardize that by trying to crank up a hype meter with little basis for doing so, outside of "Hey, private videos were updated, that's pretty strange, huh?"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just wanted to bring this up, Twitter is clamoring for Sony to buy Konami in "retaliation." I know this doesn't have to due with Geno, but I just thought it'd be worth letting you guys know because I haven't seen it brought up here. If there ends up being some kind of "bidding war" over gaming studios, it could have major implications on 3rd party inclusions in subsequent Smash installments.
I really hope Sony doesn't buy Konami because that would mean Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Bomberman, Silent Hill, Frogger, Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, ect would all become Sony exclusive IPs. Plus, Snake and the Belmont bois would be cut permanently from Smash and would most likely never return. Plus, Bomberman and Goemon's chances of getting into Smash as playable characters would go up in smoke forever. This would be a nightmare scenario for me as my most wanted character Goemon will never get into Smash's roster if Sony buys Konami.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Almost forgot these became available today.
I've been enjoying the Picross game. I can't understand a lick of it, but, I'm still managing to clear puzzles and advance, so, that's something! Grateful for the inclusion of DKC2 - Now we just need DKC3, and most important of all, SMRPG. Wherever, you know, that one is.

Firox

Smash Master
Forgive my ignorance, but who exactly is Pushdustin and why is he so important?

Also, why does he Push....dustin? Kinda rude if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom