• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
No. Instead of digging up the old post, basically when me and my guys heard Bethesda content was coming last November we were like "surely Nintendo wouldn't bring a major company onboard without a playable character, right?" Pack 5 then happened and then we saw Ubisoft costumes and suddenly we were like... Well ****... Apparently one of my contacts says I suck at censoring DMs but, no joke, the only one of my four main guys that actually backed me on my Dragonborn prediction messaged me during the Byleth presentation and said "we ****ed up, Fatman. We ****ed up so bad." I thought it was funny but he was mortified. Then after that Chief evidence poured in and pretty much everyone I'm connected to basically threw their Bethesda rep notes up in the air in frustration and dropped it, largely siding with Crash and Chief as the most likely Western reps based on what was (and still is) out there.
Actually, it was Nintendo who ****ed up or adding Byleth in the first place

Either way it's a shame, but it is what it is. Here's hoping Dragonborn surprises us! I honestly still think he's one of the most likely western characters.

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
Actually, it was Nintendo who ****ed up or adding Byleth in the first place
I still really wonder why they went with Byleth. I have nothing against the character, but I'm not a fan of FE either, among a lot of people. They knew how much people would groan about it. Did it really promote Three Houses all that effectively? Another mystery to the Smash riddle, I suppose

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Calling it right now: Geno is going to be announced on September 29th.

Why? Because that's the day the SNES Classic was released; which featured, wait for it... SUPER MARIO RPG.

Also because that's my birthday and I want to believe Nintendo will do me a solid, so I can have a good birthday for the first time in a while...

A guy can dream, right...?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Why is the Newcomer thread in a tizzy over Geno, or are they always like that?
Pretty much any time he's brought up, at least.

I still really wonder why they went with Byleth. I have nothing against the character, but I'm not a fan of FE either, among a lot of people. They knew how much people would groan about it. Did it really promote Three Houses all that effectively? Another mystery to the Smash riddle, I suppose
Well, Fire Emblem's huge in Japan, and Triple Tents was a massively successful and critically praised game, so it makes sense on-paper as to why Nintendo would want a character from that in Smash.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Currently at my childhood home because of my grandmother's funeral today so I dug up stuff from my trip to Japan in the summer of 2006. Smashboards isn't letting me post pictures at the moment so hopefully I can post them in the morning. Found several documents and photos to prove I went on the trip and that I did try to hand deliver a portfolio of Geno fan content to Nintendo's headquarters in Japan.
I know I've had my fair share of disagreements with you, but it really is respectable about how passionate you are about the whole Geno thing. It's a noble cause and you've took it further than anyone else ever would. The Geno fandom surely have a lot to look up to and it's an admirable trait to have when you look beyond those silly profile pictures we all have (I don't really have a pfp aside from a T)

This attests to his popularity. Not only the sheer number of supporters but also how they all stay because they have the perfect idols to look up to. After BK and K Rool Geno really is the next in line and the passion for the character by what you can call pinnacles of the fan base going above and beyond anyone ever could is one of the main reasons.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The newcomer thread hates talking about geno so much that theyve turned hating talking about geno into a new discussion topic. Like when someone mentions geno it always leads to like over a page of just "not the blue doll again", or "can we move on please".
Being a Geno fan on this site is awesome because the second-biggest thread is this one and the biggest thread is Geno Thread 2: Spite Boogaloo

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
My current prediction:
-We will get the announcement of a Smash presentation later this week.
-Monday or Tuesday it will air. The character will be playable at the beginning of October.
-FP7 will be Geno.
-FP8 will be Crash.
-FP9 will be Ryu Hayabusa.
-FP10 will be Professor Layton
-FP11 will be Master Chief.

But it isn't over yet. We will get 4 more "easier" to develop characters. Heavily requested characters that have most of their assets already in game or can get from somewhere else.
-If the Golden Sun trademark rumours are true, we might see Isaac as an upgrade to playable?
-Chorus Kids/Chorus Men/Glee Club were probably far in development in Smash 4, maybe they can give this one more try on Switch.
-They already have a Waddle Dee put in with King Dedede right? From there, they can make like a Bandana Waddle Dee?
-Dixie Kong with the Diddy Kong assets.
Will come in a cheaper pack, with only 2x a stage and 2x music. No spirit boards. Honorable mentions go to Waluigi, Octoling and Ring Fit Adventurer. They're also likely options if something like this will happen.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Calling it right now: Geno is going to be announced on September 29th.

Why? Because that's the day the SNES Classic was released; which featured, wait for it... SUPER MARIO RPG.

Also because that's my birthday and I want to believe Nintendo will do me a solid, so I can have a good birthday for the first time in a while...

A guy can dream, right...?
Happy Birthday

Being a Geno fan on this site is awesome because the second-biggest thread is this one and the biggest thread is Geno Thread 2: Spite Boogaloo
Actually, this thread is the third largest on the site, only behind the DLC speculation thread and the social thread, the latter of which has over 5000 pages

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just thought of an interesting but perhaps somewhat annoying game mechanic for a potential SMRPG sequel. Whenever Geno gets defeated in battle, his body is actually destroyed and you have to travel back to Gaz's house to pick up a spare, while in the mean time you're left with the star being itself, who either can't fight at all or just has terrible stats.

Perhaps in order to make this more of a proper element and not just a dumb extended way to revive a single character, you could hold more than one doll at a time, with there possibly being a couple different types of Geno dolls. A strength based one with terrible magic, as an example. Possibly letting Geno 'mimic' Bowser, Peach, Mallow, etc. I guess it'd be like class changes as a consumable item, in practice. Maybe you could find special shops to sell them, too, instead of the backtracking. Perhaps as a late-game move, Geno could also learn an attack that sacrifices the body he's currently using, but deals massive guaranteed damage as a trade-off.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I definitely don't hang in Newcom Spec much. There are certain occasions where what people can say seems to be condescending, and there is a lot of parroted stuff there where one person says something and someone else pretty much mimics the exact same thing despite being fully aware of it either being a beaten to death fact or it being mentioned in a post that you can assume they are aware of from a few posts before.

In threads like those it's hard to convince someone about something unless it's asking whether so and so would be cool which rarely has people unconvinced and a few other questions like that. It's not the entire thread but it is a fairly common theme there.

I don't have a problem with anyone there just for context but there are a few bad habits which I think should stop there

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
The newcomer spec is mean beyond all reason and im not a fan
Yeah I remember coming on to this site the first time. Think it's safe to say they didn't give the best first impressions, though it was nice there during the Min Min reveal.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Firox

Smash Master
WHOA MAN, aren't you playing with fire here? Don't you know people aren't ever supposed to disagree with me forever and ever as long as I live?
I know, man, I know. I forgot that we live in an age where having contradictory views is a crime punishable by public lynching.

In all seriousness, I think it's funny how people are incapable of being presented with evidence, regardless of how circumstantial, and simply saying, "Huh, maybe you're on to something. I guess time will tell if you're right." Nope. The only logical response is, "Yeah, this entire novel of evidence you've presented is completely bunk because bucket of chicken and everyone knows it's already been disproven by a total lack of counter evidence. I win, you lose. Go smash your head with a toilet seat because you care about something I don't."

RIP Logic, reason and empathy. I knew you well, but now I bury you next to the evil villain, Reality.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In about two minutes it'll be Wednesday, September 23rd in Japan. Time to stay on the lookout for potential announcements.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I just thought of an interesting but perhaps somewhat annoying game mechanic for a potential SMRPG sequel. Whenever Geno gets defeated in battle, his body is actually destroyed and you have to travel back to Gaz's house to pick up a spare, while in the mean time you're left with the star being itself, who either can't fight at all or just has terrible stats.

Perhaps in order to make this more of a proper element and not just a dumb extended way to revive a single character, you could hold more than one doll at a time, with there possibly being a couple different types of Geno dolls. A strength based one with terrible magic, as an example. Possibly letting Geno 'mimic' Bowser, Peach, Mallow, etc. I guess it'd be like class changes as a consumable item, in practice. Maybe you could find special shops to sell them, too, instead of the backtracking. Perhaps as a late-game move, Geno could also learn an attack that sacrifices the body he's currently using, but deals massive guaranteed damage as a trade-off.
Buildable, up-gradable Geno! I love it.

That was thankfully far more G-rated than the thumbnail seemed to imply

Anyway, yeah Newcomer Spec is pretty hostile towards Geno sometimes. They also love to talk about him for 2+ pages every time he gets brought up. Which is roughly every few days. I just ignore the hate there and almost always talk about other characters I'd like to see since I have plenty. Though I and a few others stick up for this thread on occasion. You gotta keep a cool head there, even when others hate on your most wanted. If you're sensitive about Geno/this thread, I don't recommend posting there.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
In about two minutes it'll be Wednesday, September 23rd in Japan. Time to stay on the lookout for potential announcements.
Tonight may be a good indicator actually as shouldn't we get a spirit event or tourney?

If you're sensitive about Geno/this thread, I don't recommend posting there.
Yeah not to try and generalise the whole of the thread or anything but I wouldn't even look in there. Most users are fine but the discussion can be quite varied to say the least when he gets brought up. I just ignore it but like you said, if you can't just don't go in there. You're basically walking over a cliff and expecting to be stood on solid ground when all is said and done. I like look in in there and catching up on 200+ pages every now and again but don't always check in there.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The cheeky Animal Crossing: New Horizons tweet was the midnight announcement. For now, let's hope that later throughout the day they pop some good announcements. Albeit... being September 23rd now in Japan... TGS 2020 will be starting in a couple of hours.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think Nintendo won't drop a lot of news during the TGS 2020. Though, the 26th will be more information covering Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. So, I guess we will just have to let time pass to find out with Nintendo's remaining plans.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo won't drop a lot of news during the TGS 2020. Though, the 26th will be more information covering Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. So, I guess we will just have to let time pass to find out with Nintendo's remaining plans.
There's also a Smash Tournament on the 26th, and only on the 26th as far as I know. Last time we had a Sakurai Presents announced, it was after a Smash tournament

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
StrangeKitten StrangeKitten

"Hamboning" sounds dirty but it's basically the art of making music by literally slapping yourself. It's one of those lost arts of American folk music that's weird as all hell but glorious.

volbound1700 volbound1700

I do. Back in January we were already pretty positive that at least 7 was meant to be the E3 reveal and now that it's almost October, it's clear that the original plan was 7 and 8 and we're just waiting for the shoe to finally drop.

D

Deleted member

I sure hope if Geno's gonna have to share the spotlight with someone, he's sharing it with some absolute nobody that'll make him look even better and not some door kicking pants ****ting fireball of a character that'll make everyone forget Geno exists.

I can think of a little green man from near Earth orbit that sure is getting passed around a lot who would do just that, and I haven't waited since Melee for this Mario character to get overshadowed and chadded all over by the original gaming bully.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
This interview was uploaded yesterday but, thought it'd be best to hear the deets straight from the source; Phil Spencer himself on the topic of the acquisition of ZeniMax.

Firox

Smash Master
I sure hope if Geno's gonna have to share the spotlight with someone, he's sharing it with some absolute nobody that'll make him look even better and not some door kicking pants ****ting fireball of a character that'll make everyone forget Geno exists.

I can think of a little green man from near Earth orbit that sure is getting passed around a lot who would do just that, and I haven't waited since Melee for this Mario character to get overshadowed and chadded all over by the original gaming bully.
While I totally get your sentiment, I'd rather get Geno and have him be overshadowed then nothing at all. That said, I'm curious how SE would feel about having one of their pseudo-IPs get run over like that. Almost makes me wonder if we really would get a double reveal or if Sakurai would want to give Geno more attention, all things considered. I mean, if the mii costume could get its own splash screen and special mention, I doubt Sakurai would let the actual fighter be a fart in the wind.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

If we’re being honest, Geno would be that nobody if he was revealed along with someone else. Not in terms of the Smash fan base, but to gaming in general.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Blame the pandemic that screw up the schedule for the world. Though, it was out of control nobody was expecting.
Also, this music track to somewhat stale down the waiting time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom