• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
One of the things I've been kind of mulling over is that I don't think I ever believed in Geno being perfectly set as Fighter #77. As much as it would fit, as perfect as it would seem... the truth of the matter is that Sakurai rarely does things that come off as perfect theming. The only time of note would be Little Mac's inclusion on the Punch-Out anniversary for Smash 4, but I rarely see any other examples cited, if any exist at all. That said, I've kept to a cautiously optimistic approach, versus the attitude that it was a sure thing. It feels like we could easily set ourselves up to fall into a trap with that mindset, and if Geno turns out to not be the perfect #7, then I fear that there is a risk of frustration being funneled towards Sakurai because of a 'missed opportunity'.

For all we know, the curveball is that Geno is in, but he's actually #8. I've actually been wondering if that was going to be the case for a while, now. Given the talk surrounding Crash and, now, Monster Hunter? I'm starting to be a little concerned that we're still going to be on this journey for a while.
I definitely feel like if Monster Hunter is happening, it would definitely show up way later this pass, like 9 or 10, we have nothing to worry about in that sense, and for Crash, i really dont get what your worried about, Crash has a game releasing around fp7s potential reveal, K... and? Like i personally feel like some people are relying on the idea of crash being revealed just cuz of a new game.

Ayyy, we made it to 3333!

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Hero and Terry were also dropped directly after their presentations. Byleth and Min Min were the ones who had to wait a week before releasing.
Well, Byleth and Min Min are the most recently-released characters, which is what makes it seem like waiting a week or two after their Presents is an emerging trend. It's certainly what I expect, which makes me think an October release is the most likely. But of course, that doesn't rule out a same-day release entirely. That possibility is still on the table

pinshadow

Smash Lord
While we continue to sail through purgatory, I've been thinking about the rumored Switch Pro and it's made me think about how Nintendo has handled launches most of its history. They usually do: a new game for one of their bigger franchises (typically Mario or Zelda), something casual AF, and a new franchise launch or dead franchise revival (usually something experimental). You can see the rundown here:

March 26th keeps coming up and, based on Nintendo's history, it's safe to assume at least three first party games on that day. BotW2 wouldn't surprise me at all along with Mario Kart 9 if it's real. This then begs the question of what this third (and possibly fourth) first party games are supposed to be? I'm genuinely wondering if Donkey Kong Country is supposed to be one of them. Mario, Zelda, and DK all available for the Switch Pro's launch would be a hell of an offer.
Here's the thing though, not a new console, it's a console revision. I thought we kinda ruled out MK9 anyway for the time being because of the whole Live thing serving as an explanation for the weirdness surrounding the "racing game" rumors? Not to mention I'd think it's a little too soon for either DK or Zelda, and Nintendo certainly wouldn't launch both together, too big.

HOWEVER, I think we can instead get a better grasp by looking at what launched aside previous hardware revisions in modern Nintendo history to see if anything sticks.
  • 3DS XL: Launched Alongside New Super Mario Bros 2 in both Japan and US (Brain Age : Concentration Training as well in JP)
  • 2DS : Launched Alongside Pokemon X and Y in all terriories (aside from Japan, where the 2DS wasn't sold until Special Gen 1 Pokemon Edtions in 2016)
  • New 3DS: Launched Alongside Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate in all territories, and alongside Majora's Mask outside of Japan
  • Switch Lite: Launched Alongside Link's Awakening
So clearly, yea, they like launching games alongside revisions, but not going absolutely crazy on releases. I really wouldn't expect more than one first party game alongside it. Could it be BOTW2, DK, or something else big? Maaaaaybe, but those just feel more like Fall/Holiday releases to me. Not to mention for BOTW2, isn't there some OTHER Zelda game we need to get out of the way first? Maybe one that got listed about a month ago, one that also happens to be a remake, and it just so happens Nintendo's last two major console revisions also launched alongside Zelda remakes? Not to mention it's a game based entirely around gyroscopic motion controls, which based on how they handled Mario Galaxy they really don't seem to like getting rid of for those games, and it would seemingly be required to be played in docked mode, a perfect game to come alongside a more powerful docked only Switch? Just some thoughts.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I definitely feel like if Monster Hunter is happening, it would definitely show up way later this pass, like 9 or 10, we have nothing to worry about in that sense, and for Crash, i really dont get what your worried about, Crash has a game releasing around fp7s potential reveal, K... and? Like i personally feel like some people are relying on the idea of crash being revealed just cuz of a new game.

Ayyy, we made it to 3333!
In fairness, the only reason I've had my thoughts on Crash is because of how much people were expecting him to be an E3-level reveal, a la Banjo-Kazooie. These are thoughts I've had percolating since the beginning of Summer, not so much anything that was brought about because he has a game on the way.

On that note, I appreciate the reminder. I need to keep my eyes open, because I almost forgot he had a game on the way, and I truly look forward to that entry.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
At the very least, if "7/11 theory" holds up, we should know who the next fighter is by next week.

I'm just... so happy right now that we have some sort of time frame to look forward to. It really makes the wait much more bearable. And after saying that, now watch as we pass by October 4th and we still get nothing.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, i have a few ideas , but this could go one of either ways.

a) we could get Geno as fighter number 7, as 7 stars, fighter 7 , fighter 77 , 7 colours which mark with the stars (fighters) theory.

OR

b) Geno could be between fighter 8/9 as next year is super Mario rpg's 25th anniversary, so it could coincide with the anniversary of where geno became a character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I remember people caught on to the 7/11 ads foreshadowing major announcements and I want to say they significantly changed it by the time Byleth came out. I guess it would be helpful to note how Byleth and Min-Min were handled.
It's our only potential lead that we've had in a long while though, and we've speculated the reveal at bare minimum to be in September. It just helps narrow things down a bit. Plus, remember that it's been almost 3 months since Min Min was both revealed and released, and the fact they're advertising the second Fighter Pass again makes me think FP7 is not far away

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think some time in entirely viable. It would roughly fit the Amiibo theory, not be that different from some of the longer wait times between fighters in the first pass, and be a big event for the early fall when seemingly every other potential major announcement (first party reveal, partner showcase, indie direct, Pokemon presentation) is still some ways off.

A lot of what's been shown off as of late has had a common element of being a bit time sensitive. Indie directs and partner showcases are likely negotiated with companies for certain dates, the Mario 35th anniversary was a package that needed to get the word out about the 3D Mario All Stars Collection, and both Hyrule Warriors 2 and Monster Hunter Rise were best revealed before the Tokyo Game Show. But assuming Fighter 7 is done (and neither Nintendo nor Sakurai have given any indication that progress on that has been overtly affected), then it is the one piece of big news that would be least affected by any sort of timetable and would be safest to not show off until now.

I have doubts about anything close to a double reveal, but a single Sakurai presents with reveal when the last month and half has been Nintendo finally getting in the routine of weekly news? Wholly realistic.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
:ulthero: :ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:
7-11 ad end: 4th August 2019
Hero reveal: E3 2019
Hero release: 30th July 2019

:ultbanjokazooie:
7-11 ad end: 15th September 2019
Banjo reveal: E3 2019
Banjo release: 4th September 2019

:ult_terry:
7-11 ad end: No ad available
Terry reveal: 4th September 2019
Terry release: 6th November 2019

:ultbyleth::ultbylethf:
7-11 ad end: 2nd February 2020
Byleth reveal: 16th January 2020
Byleth release: 28th January 2020

:ultminmin
7-11 ad end: 26th April 2020
ARMS fighter rep teaser: 26th March 2020
Min Min reveal: 22nd June 2020
Min Min release: 29th June 2020
Covid-19 had an effect on development.

❔
7-11 ad end: 4th October 2020

MattX20

Smash Hero
:ulthero: :ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:
7-11 ad end: 4th August 2019
Hero reveal: E3 2019
Hero release: 30th July 2019

:ultbanjokazooie:
7-11 ad end: 15th September 2019
Banjo reveal: E3 2019
Banjo release: 4th September 2019

:ult_terry:
7-11 ad end: No ad available
Terry reveal: 4th September 2019
Terry release: 6th November 2019

:ultbyleth::ultbylethf:
7-11 ad end: 2nd February 2020
Byleth reveal: 16th January 2020
Byleth release: 28th January 2020

:ultminmin
7-11 ad end: 26th April 2020
ARMS fighter rep teaser: 26th March 2020
Min Min reveal: 22nd June 2020
Min Min release: 29th June 2020
Covid-19 had an effect on development.

❔
7-11 ad end: 4th October 2020
Thanks for that information, it's very important. With it, apart from MinMin and Terry being the only one without one, all of the 7/11 ads place the release date very close to the date the ad is pulled

MattX20

Smash Hero
So... Entertaining this, I feel like it has two options... Reveal on September 24th or Reveal on October 1st. I'm going to side on October 1st for the time being. A reveal on the 1st and then a release on the 8th or 13th kind of makes sense to me based on everything.
I'm more confident in the former honestly. A Sakurai Presents wouldn't overshadow Age of Calamity since it's on Saturday and not the normal weekday schedule

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm more confident in the former honestly. A Sakurai Presents wouldn't overshadow Age of Calamity since it's on Saturday and not the normal weekday schedule
Plus the Age of Calamity presentation is largely coming from Koei Techmo in association with the TGS event more than Nintendo specifically.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Aight so the ad is up till the 4th. The 4th is a Sunday which means our dates for getting a character reveal are

Tuesday 22
Wednesday 23
Thursday 24
Tuesday 29
Wednesday 30
Thursday 1st

time to speculate. What’s everyone’s predictions for the reveal.

the TGS take place on 24th till the 27th so if Nintendo don’t wanna compete with it then a smash reveal won’t happen on the Thursday (24th)

That leaves the 22nd and 23rd, and the 29th, 30th and the 1st

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Aight so the ad is up till the 4th. The 4th is a Sunday which means our dates for getting a character reveal are

Tuesday 22
Wednesday 23
Thursday 24
Tuesday 29
Wednesday 30
Thursday 1st

the TGS take place on 24th till the 27th so if Nintendo don’t wanna compete with it then a smash reveal won’t happen on the Thursday (24th)

I really want it to happen this week on the 22nd or 23rd.

But my inner realist says the 29th.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman

Tuesday 22
Wednesday 23
Thursday 24
Tuesday 29
Wednesday 30
Thursday 1st

most likely scenario is between the 29th and the 1st

MattX20

Smash Hero

Tuesday 22
Wednesday 23
Thursday 24
Tuesday 29
Wednesday 30
Thursday 1st

Even if I'm wrong, I'm going to currently guess the 22nd or 23rd for the actual announcement of the Sakurai Presents and Thursday is when it occurs. Since Age of Calamity is being more heavily showcased at an even Nintendo doesn't take part in, it shouldn't be unreasonable to assume that they wouldn't have a DLC reveal be considered competition for Age of Calamity. Remember, the game doesn't come out until November. It can be only viewed as competition if the game and FP7 release on the same week

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Don't the 7-11 adds usually point to releases, not announcements? I thought how it worked was they would add an already announced but not released character to the image and we would know they would release before the add gets taken down. This one just shows Min Min still, so I don't see how it impacts FP7.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Don't the 7-11 adds usually point to releases, not announcements? I thought how it worked was they would add an already announced but not released character to the image and we would know they would release before the add gets taken down. This one just shows Min Min still, so I don't see how it impacts FP7.
In normal cases, they usually tie into both the Sakurai Presents and the release dates.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Guys, I'm gonna be real talking for a second here.

People who know me tend I try and be a tad bit devil's advocate when it comes to reveals and such. Let me say with genuine excitement, that I have never felt more confident for Geno being next than I am right now.

But there is still a chance Geno isn't next.

I am not telling ANYONE here to not be excited. No, please, get excited, things have NEVER looked so good for him. But also please just remember in the back of your mind that nothing is guarenteed here by any stretch. And if it isn't Geno, we are not remotely out of the game yet. But there may be a chance we will still have to wait, and I want everyone here to at least acknowledge that possibility.

Again, GET excited. Get pumped. But please don't trip down the hill. If we're not next, let whoever else's wish gets granted enjoy their moment.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
In normal cases, they usually tie into both the Sakurai Presents and the release dates.
But have they ever hinted at actual character announcements? Because the suspicious part of the adds was always that they advertised a character that wasn't available yet. This one is just a regular add.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Guys, I'm gonna be real talking for a second here.

People who know me tend I try and be a tad bit devil's advocate when it comes to reveals and such. Let me say with genuine excitement, that I have never felt more confident for Geno being next than I am right now.

But there is still a chance Geno isn't next.

I am not telling ANYONE here to not be excited. No, please, get excited, things have NEVER looked so good for him. But also please just remember in the back of your mind that nothing is guarenteed here by any stretch. And if it isn't Geno, we are not remotely out of the game yet. But there may be a chance we will still have to wait, and I want everyone here to at least acknowledge that possibility.

Again, GET excited. Get pumped. But please don't trip down the hill. If we're not next, let whoever else's wish gets granted enjoy their moment.
I don't disagree. There's certainly a chance that Geno isn't Fighter 7...

... and that's okay, at least for the most part. Geno not being Fighter 7 doesn't mean he's not coming at all. He could still be Fighter 8 or 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom