• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of had an epiphany earlier. You know how March 26th keeps not-so-subtly coming up for major game releases on Switch? The most substantial theory is that this is when the Switch Pro is due out. You know how we have noticed that everything has very notably been delayed 3-4 months? You want to know what 4 months prior to March 26th is? November 26th. You want to know what day that is? Thanks ****in' giving and technically the first official day of holiday shopping! This makes perfect sense for obvious reasons.

If you start applying this to other games, suddenly things start to make more sense. Pikmin 3 Deluxe would have been a summer release just like the original release of Pikmin 3, Age of Calamity would have been a late summer release just like the original Hyrule Warriors, 3D World Deluxe would have been an October release just like Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3, etc. What if we applied this to E3 as well? E3 would have started on June 8th if not for COVID-19. Add four months and you get October 8th. Maybe this was the plan all along?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe. This has been such an unconventional year that Nintendo bucking precedent to do a Direct on October 1st is something I suppose could happen. I decided to research when Nintendo has done updates to the Parental Controls and there was three times this year:

-A few days before the Indie Direct in March

-The first full week in April

-Shortly before the July partner showcase

I don't know if it means much but I guess I can look into 2017-2019 later today..
Meanwhile, yesterday had no less than three different types of Directs (granted, one was from Nintendo Life), and they're having stuff set to be announced/happen on a weekend for the first time since the :ulthero: gameplay showcase: Hyrule Warriors info and now the Smash invitational.

The only certainty we got right now is that something (event or whatever else) will be announced for Smash at next Tuesday 9 PM EST (morning in Wednesday, Japan). Otherwise, we really don't know what to expect anymore. :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know if anyone already said this here, but here is something from a user named NotGenerico on another thread. I don't want to quote him, as it would bring his attention to here, so I will just post what he said in quotation marks.

"This new tournament being announced made me wonder if the previous Japan-only tournament showed up on the Japanese website. I thought that these type of tournaments were possibly the events that began with 3, but I looked it over at https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/ja/index.html and couldn't find it anywhere.

By the way, looking at the first Twitter announcement, these new type of tournaments are distinctly called オンラインチャレンジ (Online Challenge) instead of トーナメント (Tournament). The Mario-themed tournament was called this in the Japanese stream of the Mario 35th anniversary direct, so it seems like it'll be another one of these special tournaments. Fun fact, Yuichi Nakamura, voice actor of Jojo's Bruno Bucciarati, narrates the Japanese Directs.

I considered that the Mario tournament could have been the skipped Tournament Event, but the fact that it's part of these "Online Challenges" means that it's not going to be numbered like the other Tournaments we've had, so that provides more evidence that the skipped Tournament potentially features the next character and that this skipped Event is not the Mario tournament.

There were 11 days between the News Events that were pushed forward and the Min Min announcement, so I'm expecting a new character announcement in less than 2 weeks. That is of course, if the skipped tournament is in fact the one that accompanies every new character."

What do you all think of this?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's definitely a given that they'll have to address the odd numbering for the regular tournaments sooner or later, especially with the Mario 35th plans having been shifted to push the skipped regular one back.

Whether it'll be sometime next week, the one after, or the week of Thursday the 8th is the big mystery.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
1600465487925.png

Just really put this in perspective:

FighterZ has announced, revealed, and released THREE of their Five character DLC pass in the time it's taken Nintendo to fart out even ONE

Hell, TWO of those three were revealed and released before Min Min came out! To top it off it's Bamco, the same company that's working on Smash! What the **** is taking so goddamn long??

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 286069

FighterZ has announced, revealed, and released THREE of their Five character DLC pass in the time it's taken Nintendo to fart out even ONE

Hell, TWO of those three were revealed and released before Min Min came out! To top it off it's Bamco, the same company that's working on Smash! What the **** is taking so goddamn long??
There's really no excuse for Smash to be taking this long when other fighting games have seemingly had no trouble.

Granblue Fantasy Versus has revealed two of its Season 2 DLC characters so far.

Street Fighter V not only had a fifth season of DLC announced, they also revealed four of the five characters within that season, plus what specific contents each character comes with and a roadmap of when to expect them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 286069

An excellent question to be sure, and to further add on to that, all but 1 of the remaining characters for the recent Street Fighter 5 season of DLC have been announced and their release months on top of that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sak values surprises, and I assume that there's possibly a lengthy playing period in the characters' origin games to see how they work so that they can more or less be developed properly.

Also, the...disease has screwed up current plans completely.

In any case, the year isn't over yet. The deadline is still safe. I'll remain patient.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 286069

I really do think it has to do with the next characters being tied to other announcements. Even without that timeline I posted the other day, Nintendo itself confirmed last September that work on Season 2 had started. It's now been a year and we've had one character pack in Season 2 and a bonus stage. Think about it... They announced a new Mario, a new Zelda, and not one but two Monster Hunter games before 7 and 8. Sakurai himself has said that the team isn't super struggling so I really do think it's because they're tied to major game announcements that Nintendo is holding onto for whatever reason.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
There's really no excuse for Smash to be taking this long when other fighting games have seemingly had no trouble.

Granblue Fantasy Versus has revealed two of its Season 2 DLC characters so far.

Street Fighter V not only had a fifth season of DLC announced, they also revealed four of the five characters within that season, plus what specific contents each character comes with and a roadmap of when to expect them.
Just for the sake of it, I threw together a comparison image and just

Man...

1600467006096.png

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I really do think it has to do with the next characters being tied to other announcements. Even without that timeline I posted the other day, Nintendo itself confirmed last September that work on Season 2 had started. It's now been a year and we've had one character pack in Season 2 and a bonus stage. Think about it... They announced a new Mario, a new Zelda, and not one but two Monster Hunter games before 7 and 8. Sakurai himself has said that the team isn't super struggling so I really do think it's because they're tied to major game announcements that Nintendo is holding onto for whatever reason.
Next week has more info on Age of Calamity, but that's on a weekend and I think it'll be presented by Koei Tecmo during their TGS presentation. Not only that, but Monday and Tuesday next week are national holidays, meaning they're likely not revealing anything early in the week.

So will Age of Calamity presented by Koei Tecmo on Saturday essentially be it for next week's news? Or will Nintendo surprise us and give us another thing besides Age of Calamity next week?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, some insiders have cryptically talked about Super Mario RPG coming back in some form. Jeff Grubb in particular name-dropped it without context or elaboration.

Given how leaked things took a while to come to fruition, this game (supposedly as a remake) may come back, but if that's the case, why not announce it during Mario's 35th? 🤔

Also, I can't shake off the feeling that SFV's final character will be a joke one that'll baffle or piss off most of the fanbase.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Just for the sake of it, I threw together a comparison image and just

Man...

View attachment 286074
Really hoping they reveal two characters a-la E3 2019. I mean, it would line up with upcoming releases (excluding the rumored SMRPG remake/sequel):
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time = releases on October 2nd
  • DOOM Eternal (Switch ver.) = release date still TBA (but really... should be soon by now)
Also, I wonder if Capcom has plans to bring DMC 4 anytime soon? With the announcement of DMC 5 SE being announced for PS5, and with the growing speculation over a Switch Pro coming out perhaps early next year, they could make a version for it as well. Though I gotta say, after seeing the reveals of MH Rise, and MH Stories 2 (especially this one), a MH character really went up on likelihood for Smash dlc imo. The main character of MH Stories 2 seems like a good candidate (since it's a fleshed out character and not an avatar like in mainline MH games).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Really hoping they reveal two characters a-la E3 2019. I mean, it would line up with upcoming releases (excluding the rumored SMRPG remake/sequel):
  • DOOM Eternal (Switch ver.) = release date still TBA (but really... should be soon by now)
Also, I wonder if Capcom has plans to bring DMC 4 anytime soon? With the announcement of DMC 5 SE being announced for PS5, and with the growing speculation over a Switch Pro coming out perhaps early next year, they could make a version for it as well. Though I gotta say, after seeing the reveals of MH Rise, and MH Stories 2 (especially this one), a MH character really went up on likelihood for Smash dlc imo. The main character of MH Stories 2 seems like a good candidate (since it's a fleshed out character and not an avatar like in mainline MH games).
Well, on my end, I was told in July that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal was supposed to have (their words exactly) "very obvious" first party content so that's likely the reason why that's being held off too. Yet another thing that was very likely supposed to be a major Direct announcement before COVID-19 bent the world over and spanked its ass with a shovel. Here's where I talked about it openly in this thread for the first time:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Incidentally, we at the Doom Slayer thread wonder why Eternal's release date still has yet to be announced, even though the Partner Showcases provide the perfect excuse to do so.

The only thing that disputes Doom getting anything for Smash so far is the quote that was said by a director at Bethesda saying that "nothing serious" happened during the talks with Nintendo, if anyone ignores the whole Schrodinger's fake leak that is the Cacodemon Mii hat.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Well, on my end, I was told in July that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal was supposed to have (their words exactly) "very obvious" first party content so that's likely the reason why that's being held off too. Yet another thing that was very likely supposed to be a major Direct announcement before COVID-19 bent the world over and spanked its ass with a shovel. Here's where I talked about it openly in this thread for the first time:

Ah yes, true. Actually, on the topic of Bandai Namco, a few months ago they announced the new Mr. Driller game, which was one of three "Encore" trademarks they filed around September 2019 (including one VERY highly requested franchise of a certain hero from a land called Phantomile).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
In all fairness, that's only a little worse than the reveals for Joker and Hero.
That’s true but atleast we KNEW E3 would bring something. We have no deadline like that in sight right now.

It would probably be a Hunter from the main series. I don’t think Sakurai would want to represent a character from a spin-off instead of the main series. That sounds weird saying that in the Geno thread but I meant as the first rep for a series lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That’s true but atleast we KNEW E3 would bring something. We have no deadline like that in sight right now.
Yeah, that's why it feels longer than it actually is. Time grinds to a halt when you're bored and blazes by when you're having fun. A dearth of news is boring, therefore, time progresses at a snail's pace.

It would probably be a Hunter from the main series. I don’t think Sakurai would want to represent a character from a spin-off instead of the main series. That sounds weird saying that in the Geno thread but I meant as the first rep for a series lol
Seeing as Rise got the bulk of the promotion, I'd say it's 90% going to be a mainline game Hunter. Avatars mean jack when we've gotten eight already (:ultpokemontrainer::ultvillager::ultrobinf::ultcorrinf::ultinkling::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbylethf:), with Inkling in particular being very similar to the Hunter in that they're fully customizable and make up a group (Or a species, rather), just like the Hunters. And no, Agent 3 doesn't count; Octo Expansion wasn't a thing when the roster was solidified.

In the meantime, I'm going to sit down and think about what Capcom's best-selling video game series Monster Hunter has to do with the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars character Geno.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
What 1st party content would work in doom it’s not like most Nintendo characters are ripping monsters with a bea......unless the metroid hunter is about to rip and tear. I now want metroid x doom . Make it happen please!!!! Cacomallow is real!!!!!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
First and foremost, I must apologize for my "inactivity" today. I've been just busy for the last few hours playing Super Mario 3D All-Stars today, and even though I already played these games, I am still having a blast just playing through these games again on the Switch. Just warning you all, SM3DAS might take over my life for these next few days, so just be warned lol.

I don't think I missed anything Smash related except for that Japanese-exclusive Online tourney mode that is apparently in the American version today, so that's cool I suppose.

ChameleonTwist

Smash Rookie
First and foremost, I must apologize for my "inactivity" today. I've been just busy for the last few hours playing Super Mario 3D All-Stars today, and even though I already played these games, I am still having a blast just playing through these games again on the Switch. Just warning you all, SM3DAS might take over my life for these next few days, so just be warned lol.

I don't think I missed anything Smash related except for that Japanese-exclusive Online tourney mode that is apparently in the American version today, so that's cool I suppose.
Enigma735 Enigma735 , please don't apologize (at least to me!) because I am in the same boat. I preordered a physical copy (though didn't get up to Best Buy today), despite the fact that I have played all these games on their original platforms. So, you're loving it? Glad to hear. Really looking forward to getting my hands on in the next 48 hours.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Tbh, I am having the same problem. Yesterday I saw a 10 Hours (Yeah, 10 Hours) long Twitch Stream of Sunshine and Tomorrow is 64's time

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Here's the thing, you're entire argument here is:

"Monster Hunter is best represented by Monsters" + "making a playable monster is very improbable" thus we won't be getting a playable MH rep (excluding the rathalos costume)

Let's break this down:

-"Monster Hunter is best represented by Monsters": While I agree this is true, "best" is not the same as "only". We have actual instances in many other games where some form of hunter was represented, including other fighting games. This proves that representation BESIDES the monsters can and has been done. The inference of "monsters or nothing" for representation would be an erroneous assumption at best and a fabricated fan rule at worst.

-"making a playable monster is very improbable": I'll totally give you this. With the inclusion of the Rathalos AT and boss, I agree that adding another monster as a fighter would be incredibly improbable and frankly redundant, however, my point above renders this one moot.

-Lastly, and you didn't explicitly mention it in this particular comment, but there was also an argument made that a potential hunter wouldn't be original enough or have a moveset interesting enough to warrant becoming a fighter. This is an entirely subjective view which anyone is welcome to share or reject. Regardless, if Sakurai can make an interesting moveset out of a duck and a laughing dog, or an exercise peripheral, or several animal crossing characters that don't even feature any combat mechanics in their own games, I sincerely doubt he would fail to do something interesting with the hunter if he really wanted to. Any time someone claims, "oh, that character wouldn't get in because they'd be too similar to _____", they're just gatekeeping with assumptions and obvious bias.

It's important to note that most fan rules have at least SOME merit to them, albeit flawed. They try to use some form of logic to justify why characters they don't like won't get in. Now, I must say, I'm surprised to hear that you are such a huge MH fan, yet actively debate against their chances. I suppose we all have our own motivations but none of the arguments you've presented so far can completely dismiss the possibility of a monster hunter being added as DLC. Probable? Maybe, maybe not. But with the whereabouts of the rathalos costume unknown and the fact that a hunter CAN be added as content, I don't see how anyone could shoot down the prospect.
Hey, sorry I didn't respond to this earlier but I REALLY dislike being on mobile in general and I wasn't about to try and address this on mobile as the post you quoted was done on mobile and I was heavily displeased with how it was formatted.

So, let's clear up the first mistake, which is the topic in discussion itself: you believe the discussion to be 'Why Monster Hunter won't get a character in Smash' (sounds like a click-bait youtube video, right?) but in reality, the discussion was not started by me. The original discussion was 'Is Monster Hunter likely to get a character into Ultimate' and while most persons were saying 'Yes!' because 'Monster Hunter just got two games revealed for Switch' which is the age-old 'Game on Switch = Character in Ultimate' argument that has been trashed to the point where it only becomes recognizable by switching the face of the character in question on what seems like a weekly basis (I remember when it was Tracer/D.va because of Overwatch) while I myself was saying 'It's not very likely' because of the evidence laid in front of me and because only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Thus I never even started the argument/discussion, but I am one of the few who thought Monster Hunter has little chance, and my side isn't 'No Monster Hunter rep' as much as it is 'Monster Hunter rep is highly unlikely'.

With that out of the way, let's check out all these points one at a time.

- Obviously this is true, as like I said myself, my argument is that it's heavily unlikely, not impossible. Also, the fact that the Hunter appeared in MvCI is proof enough that depending on the situation they can and will use the Hunter themselves as representation, although I would like to point out that in the story mode during this point heavy focus takes place on trying to save Valkanda from the wrath of the Elder Dragon Dah'ren Mohran, so even then it wasn't just about the Hunter themselves. However, this seems to be the only case in which the Hunter themselves has been represented as I cannot find any other time they have been used, though perhaps I just haven't dug deep enough. However, to back up my argument that they favor monsters over the Hunter for representation...
  • During the crossover event between MHW and FFXIV, MHW got to fight Behemoth while FFIV got, you guessed it, Rathalos. Funnily enough, Square took their own take on what Rathalos armor would look like in the world of FFXIV, to what I have gathered is the dismay of a lot of players as it looks rather generic in comparison to other armor sets in FFXIV.

• As you well know, Smash 4 got both the Rathalos Armor and the Hunter's Armor (which I incorrectly stated as Default Gear: it's actually one of the first sets you can craft, which is why I confused it with the default gear) as Mii Costumes and Rathalos is an AT and boss in Ultimate.

• Rathalos and Tigrex showed up in hunting grounds in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

• Rathalos made an appearance in Dragalia Lost and I believe Rathalos armor is/was available.

• Teppen, which is a mobile card game that uses only Capcom characters, features three heroes from the Monster Hunter series. They are Rathalos, Nergigante, and a Felyne. No Hunter to be found despite it fitting well into the game, but perhaps it will happen later on? I looked at all the Monster Hunter-themed cards and not a single one of them references Hunters outside of a card called Barrel Bomb with is an explosive Hunters can place down during a battle. The rest are either monsters or references to monsters, be it attacks they use or situations they can cause.
I also found that in Lost Planet 2 you can apparently use Rathalos armor, but all of this proves my point, including Hunter in MvCI as the default outfit is Rathalos armor (secondary is Kirin armor): Rathalos is the posterboy of Monster Hunter, and by extension Rathalos armor is iconic. The big things about Monster Hunter are first and foremost the monsters and how the fight will be like and right behind it is how cool the armor and weapons will be and how good they will be. Thus, it makes perfect sense for Smash to have Mii Costumes of the armor of the most iconic monster and the another armor that is iconic for being one of the first you can craft, and it also makes sense for Rathalos to be a boss (I still get blown away every time he shows up via AT). However, is there a need for more if and when those costumes return? You already have the poster boy of your franchise and two iconic armor sets in a franchise where the monsters and the armor sets and weapons are what matters, not the characters, so do you really feel the need for that? Or do you feel that Monster Hunter has been properly represented already?

Regular folks may say no, but Sakurai and his team and Capcom and the Monster Hunter team could very well think otherwise.

- I'm glad we don't have to argue about this point because it would be silly to suggest a monster could be a playable character. The monsters people love are way too big and broken and the monsters who could work aren't nearly as iconic or favored by the community. If you think Plant was a wacky blow to the community, just imagine a playable Jagras.

- There was never an argument coming from me that a Hunter isn't original enough to be playable, I merely suggested that they didn't offer much we haven't already seen and are kinda generic: A person wielding an oversized, fantasy-styled weapon with lots of tools and many attacks isn't really that new to Smash. This is a weaker argument to be sure, but Sakurai has expressed his desire for the DLC character to truly offer something unique and new to Ultimate, something that isn't already there. To date, we have...
  • Joker, a character who has a temporary buff that is linked to a meter that builds over time and when damage is taken. This buff either augments or flat-out changes moves for a period of time, and he unpowered Down-B allows him to build more meter when hit during its active window. His gun overall is also fairly unique.

• Hero, who has way too many specials in his Command Menu and can randomly crit on smash attacks.

• Banjo & Kazooie, who has a Side-B that offers nigh full invincibility but has limited uses per stock and a Neutral-B that has two variations and can fire projectiles rapidly while moving.

• Terry Bogard, the first character to have both a Forward-B and a Back-B and a mechanic that gives him super powerful moves he can somewhat abuse when his percent is high/health is low.

• Byleth, a character who wields multiple melee weapons as well as a bow that gives them access to a wide range of abilities as well as an Up-B that is rather unique.

• Min-Min, a character that is so focused on ranged combat that they almost can't fight up close, has a Neutral-B and Side-B that are nontraditional and completely change how she is played, and a Down-B that swaps weapons mid-combat.
Sadly, adding a Hunter to the game doesn't offer much in terms of uniqueness: Byleth covers hording multiple weapons that function very differently and Min-Min has weapon swapping, which again is something you can't even do in Monster Hunter. We already have characters who buff themselves, characters that can place traps, lots of heavy-hitting fighters with large weapons...whenever I sit down and try to think of something that a Hunter can offer, I come up with things that have already been done, and that is with me seriously sitting down and giving it thought. I know Sakurai and his team can work wonders with characters but it really seems like the opportunity has been lost with Byleth. Once again, a weaker argument, but it was Sakurai's own words that he is striving for uniqueness when it comes to DLC.

Now, if you talk about the spin-offs where they can tame and ride monsters? That is a whole different story.

There is no gate being kept here, merely analysis of information, and this leads me to believe the scales are not in favor of Monster Hunter. Remember, my argument is not 'Monster Hunter has no chance' but rather I am responding to the discussion of 'Does Monster Hunter have a chance' with a reply of 'It really doesn't look like they do, and here is why I think this way.'

Speaking of bias, hopefully you all will understand now that I check my bias at the door when it comes to debates. I have spent thousands of hours on World and was pissed that I missed out on the most recent festival due to being up north on this remodeling project. I lost my **** when I saw the rope bug feature. I love the new platypus monster and I will now be buying my first-ever Amiibo because they now have Monster Hunter Amiibo, and I'm not one to easily buy merchandise that I can't play or wear. This new wave of having games that have dynamic action is amazing for me, and it started for me with Vindictus, but now so many games are taking this angle and I love it and I feel as though World had some bit of impact on this. I would spend hours just grinding resources I needed and even then I was enjoying myself.

With all of this, I don't see a Monster Hunter character coming to Smash. I think Dante and Phoenix Wright have much better chances, but I honestly don't think Capcom is getting a character in this pass. There just hasn't been any real evidence to support that, and it's one of the few things I disagree with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice on. This isn't even the pathetic 'I want it badly, so Nintendo will never do it because they are evil and I can't be happy' mindset: I just simply did research and came to a conclusion. Now you know that my bias, which would be in favor of a Monster Hunter character because I love the franchise so much and I would buy them easily, plays no part here.

I'm of the opinion that you cannot learn, grow, or understand where the other person comes from if you don't check your bias and open your mind to the possibility that you may be wrong and that there may be something to gleam from what the other side has to say, no matter how small.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I was always suspecting that Doom Eternal would have Animal Crossing content in the Switch Version. It’s either gotta be Metroid or Animal Crossing. Or Both. I’m betting there’ll be multiple Nintendo themed costumes for the Slayer.

A Geno themed one would be cool, but that won’t happen haha.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

Ooh, if this is true, I hope one of them is a Samus skin for the Slayer, or anything Metroid really. I would personally be both humored and miffed if Animal Crossing content is in the Switch version, too.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I am kind of sick of the "Switch Pro" discussion tbh. I'm not even sure it would be a significant enough upgrade.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey, sorry I didn't respond to this earlier but I REALLY dislike being on mobile in general and I wasn't about to try and address this on mobile as the post you quoted was done on mobile and I was heavily displeased with how it was formatted.

So, let's clear up the first mistake, which is the topic in discussion itself: you believe the discussion to be 'Why Monster Hunter won't get a character in Smash' (sounds like a click-bait youtube video, right?) but in reality, the discussion was not started by me. The original discussion was 'Is Monster Hunter likely to get a character into Ultimate' and while most persons were saying 'Yes!' because 'Monster Hunter just got two games revealed for Switch' which is the age-old 'Game on Switch = Character in Ultimate' argument that has been trashed to the point where it only becomes recognizable by switching the face of the character in question on what seems like a weekly basis (I remember when it was Tracer/D.va because of Overwatch) while I myself was saying 'It's not very likely' because of the evidence laid in front of me and because only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Thus I never even started the argument/discussion, but I am one of the few who thought Monster Hunter has little chance, and my side isn't 'No Monster Hunter rep' as much as it is 'Monster Hunter rep is highly unlikely'.

With that out of the way, let's check out all these points one at a time.

- Obviously this is true, as like I said myself, my argument is that it's heavily unlikely, not impossible. Also, the fact that the Hunter appeared in MvCI is proof enough that depending on the situation they can and will use the Hunter themselves as representation, although I would like to point out that in the story mode during this point heavy focus takes place on trying to save Valkanda from the wrath of the Elder Dragon Dah'ren Mohran, so even then it wasn't just about the Hunter themselves. However, this seems to be the only case in which the Hunter themselves has been represented as I cannot find any other time they have been used, though perhaps I just haven't dug deep enough. However, to back up my argument that they favor monsters over the Hunter for representation...
  • During the crossover event between MHW and FFXIV, MHW got to fight Behemoth while FFIV got, you guessed it, Rathalos. Funnily enough, Square took their own take on what Rathalos armor would look like in the world of FFXIV, to what I have gathered is the dismay of a lot of players as it looks rather generic in comparison to other armor sets in FFXIV.

• As you well know, Smash 4 got both the Rathalos Armor and the Hunter's Armor (which I incorrectly stated as Default Gear: it's actually one of the first sets you can craft, which is why I confused it with the default gear) as Mii Costumes and Rathalos is an AT and boss in Ultimate.

• Rathalos and Tigrex showed up in hunting grounds in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

• Rathalos made an appearance in Dragalia Lost and I believe Rathalos armor is/was available.

• Teppen, which is a mobile card game that uses only Capcom characters, features three heroes from the Monster Hunter series. They are Rathalos, Nergigante, and a Felyne. No Hunter to be found despite it fitting well into the game, but perhaps it will happen later on? I looked at all the Monster Hunter-themed cards and not a single one of them references Hunters outside of a card called Barrel Bomb with is an explosive Hunters can place down during a battle. The rest are either monsters or references to monsters, be it attacks they use or situations they can cause.
I also found that in Lost Planet 2 you can apparently use Rathalos armor, but all of this proves my point, including Hunter in MvCI as the default outfit is Rathalos armor (secondary is Kirin armor): Rathalos is the posterboy of Monster Hunter, and by extension Rathalos armor is iconic. The big things about Monster Hunter are first and foremost the monsters and how the fight will be like and right behind it is how cool the armor and weapons will be and how good they will be. Thus, it makes perfect sense for Smash to have Mii Costumes of the armor of the most iconic monster and the another armor that is iconic for being one of the first you can craft, and it also makes sense for Rathalos to be a boss (I still get blown away every time he shows up via AT). However, is there a need for more if and when those costumes return? You already have the poster boy of your franchise and two iconic armor sets in a franchise where the monsters and the armor sets and weapons are what matters, not the characters, so do you really feel the need for that? Or do you feel that Monster Hunter has been properly represented already?

Regular folks may say no, but Sakurai and his team and Capcom and the Monster Hunter team could very well think otherwise.

- I'm glad we don't have to argue about this point because it would be silly to suggest a monster could be a playable character. The monsters people love are way too big and broken and the monsters who could work aren't nearly as iconic or favored by the community. If you think Plant was a wacky blow to the community, just imagine a playable Jagras.

- There was never an argument coming from me that a Hunter isn't original enough to be playable, I merely suggested that they didn't offer much we haven't already seen and are kinda generic: A person wielding an oversized, fantasy-styled weapon with lots of tools and many attacks isn't really that new to Smash. This is a weaker argument to be sure, but Sakurai has expressed his desire for the DLC character to truly offer something unique and new to Ultimate, something that isn't already there. To date, we have...
  • Joker, a character who has a temporary buff that is linked to a meter that builds over time and when damage is taken. This buff either augments or flat-out changes moves for a period of time, and he unpowered Down-B allows him to build more meter when hit during its active window. His gun overall is also fairly unique.

• Hero, who has way too many specials in his Command Menu and can randomly crit on smash attacks.

• Banjo & Kazooie, who has a Side-B that offers nigh full invincibility but has limited uses per stock and a Neutral-B that has two variations and can fire projectiles rapidly while moving.

• Terry Bogard, the first character to have both a Forward-B and a Back-B and a mechanic that gives him super powerful moves he can somewhat abuse when his percent is high/health is low.

• Byleth, a character who wields multiple melee weapons as well as a bow that gives them access to a wide range of abilities as well as an Up-B that is rather unique.

• Min-Min, a character that is so focused on ranged combat that they almost can't fight up close, has a Neutral-B and Side-B that are nontraditional and completely change how she is played, and a Down-B that swaps weapons mid-combat.
Sadly, adding a Hunter to the game doesn't offer much in terms of uniqueness: Byleth covers hording multiple weapons that function very differently and Min-Min has weapon swapping, which again is something you can't even do in Monster Hunter. We already have characters who buff themselves, characters that can place traps, lots of heavy-hitting fighters with large weapons...whenever I sit down and try to think of something that a Hunter can offer, I come up with things that have already been done, and that is with me seriously sitting down and giving it thought. I know Sakurai and his team can work wonders with characters but it really seems like the opportunity has been lost with Byleth. Once again, a weaker argument, but it was Sakurai's own words that he is striving for uniqueness when it comes to DLC.

Now, if you talk about the spin-offs where they can tame and ride monsters? That is a whole different story.

There is no gate being kept here, merely analysis of information, and this leads me to believe the scales are not in favor of Monster Hunter. Remember, my argument is not 'Monster Hunter has no chance' but rather I am responding to the discussion of 'Does Monster Hunter have a chance' with a reply of 'It really doesn't look like they do, and here is why I think this way.'

Speaking of bias, hopefully you all will understand now that I check my bias at the door when it comes to debates. I have spent thousands of hours on World and was pissed that I missed out on the most recent festival due to being up north on this remodeling project. I lost my **** when I saw the rope bug feature. I love the new platypus monster and I will now be buying my first-ever Amiibo because they now have Monster Hunter Amiibo, and I'm not one to easily buy merchandise that I can't play or wear. This new wave of having games that have dynamic action is amazing for me, and it started for me with Vindictus, but now so many games are taking this angle and I love it and I feel as though World had some bit of impact on this. I would spend hours just grinding resources I needed and even then I was enjoying myself.

With all of this, I don't see a Monster Hunter character coming to Smash. I think Dante and Phoenix Wright have much better chances, but I honestly don't think Capcom is getting a character in this pass. There just hasn't been any real evidence to support that, and it's one of the few things I disagree with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice on. This isn't even the pathetic 'I want it badly, so Nintendo will never do it because they are evil and I can't be happy' mindset: I just simply did research and came to a conclusion. Now you know that my bias, which would be in favor of a Monster Hunter character because I love the franchise so much and I would buy them easily, plays no part here.

I'm of the opinion that you cannot learn, grow, or understand where the other person comes from if you don't check your bias and open your mind to the possibility that you may be wrong and that there may be something to gleam from what the other side has to say, no matter how small.
Wow, there's quite a lot here and I wanna start by thanking you for the thoughtful and respectful post. After reading it all, it looks like we actually agree on pretty much everything. I suppose the wording on some of your previous posts made it sound like a "monsters represent MH or nothing does" mentality but it seems like that's not the case. You acknowledged that the hunter can and has been used before, but also point out the various in-game reasons why Sakurai may choose to opt out. I acknowledge that us getting another actual monster as a playable character is incredibly unlikely and everything beyond that is subjective so there's not really a point to arguing about it.

In short, we agree that getting a monster hunter fighter is possible but also unlikely. That seems like a fair statement. I guess time will tell.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I was always suspecting that Doom Eternal would have Animal Crossing content in the Switch Version. It’s either gotta be Metroid or Animal Crossing. Or Both. I’m betting there’ll be multiple Nintendo themed costumes for the Slayer.

A Geno themed one would be cool, but that won’t happen haha.
If Doom Eternal on Switch is getting some first-party content, it's most likely Metroid, whether it's a skin that makes Doom Slayer look like he's wearing one of Samus' Power Suits, or a whole level where Doom Slayer is running around Planet Zebes and unleashing hell upon the likes of Ridley, the Space Pirates, Kraid, and Mother Brain.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've been hearing a fair bit about a switch pro here. Is this like a DSI type thing and not a ps4 to ps5 thing? Asking for my wallet

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I've been hearing a fair bit about a switch pro here. Is this like a DSI type thing and not a ps4 to ps5 thing? Asking for my wallet
Well, there's this article from Bloomberg where Nintendo is supposedly telling third parties to make their Switch games 4k ready...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well, there's this article from Bloomberg where Nintendo is supposedly telling third parties to make their Switch games 4k ready...

As long as I'm not missing out on games, I'm cool with just keeping my switch

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 286069

One word: Nintendo. Nintendo and whoever is running their scheduling department is insane for making the fans wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom