• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So if Tuesday is a holiday in Japan, then I guess that rules out the 22nd for a major announcement... That literally just leaves next Thursday the 24th if we're meant to get anything else major in September from Nintendo itself. Like I said yesterday, for whatever reason, Nintendo not only sticks to particular days for announcements for usually months at a time but has a tendency to save it's biggest announcements for either the first full week of the month or the last. The 24th is the first true day of TGS but I've noticed that the scheduling is pretty wide open because Square and Microsoft are basically the only major livestreams for that day and, for most of the world, they wrap up by the afternoon:

For example, I'm in Missouri in the United States so Microsoft's presentation is at 7am and Square's is at 8am. The first day of TGS is done at 10am my time and the second doesn't kick off until 9pm. The second day doesn't start until 11am for Japan so an early morning Thursday presentation could definitely be a thing and still be reasonably convenient for a good chunk of the world.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm not wholly banking on this line of thought, but, considering that Sakurai sometimes defies convention with new additions to the roster, wouldn't it be something wacky if Geno and Mallow both got in as the only two characters who had the honor of sharing a character slot with different moves, switching between the two of them as if they were different skins? (Four for Geno, four for Mallow)

I absolutely do not take much stock in this, because I don't even think the game would be able to allow something like that. I merely just think that, even if we get Geno, it'll feel slightly weird that we would have nearly every playable character from Super Mario RPG (Mario, Peach, Bowser, Geno), but Mallow's just kind of stuck potentially being a head on a Mii Fighter.

There is zero chance that Sakurai would devote two fighter's pass slots to two characters from the exact same game, so, the only other way I could think for him to skirt past that issue would be to stack the characters on top of each other in the same slot. And yet, Geno and Mallow are too different to be considered an Olimar/Alph situation, so that wouldn't necessarily be the way to do it, either. But, again, this is me just kind of throwing words out; if Geno is in, I have incredible doubts that Mallow would be in right along with him, despite how much I would prefer otherwise.

I guess it's just fun to consider what kind of breaking-of-conventions could be done in order to throw the Mallow crew a bone, too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not wholly banking on this line of thought, but, considering that Sakurai sometimes defies convention with new additions to the roster, wouldn't it be something wacky if Geno and Mallow both got in as the only two characters who had the honor of sharing a character slot with different moves, switching between the two of them as if they were different skins? (Four for Geno, four for Mallow)

I absolutely do not take much stock in this, because I don't even think the game would be able to allow something like that. I merely just think that, even if we get Geno, it'll feel slightly weird that we would have nearly every playable character from Super Mario RPG (Mario, Peach, Bowser, Geno), but Mallow's just kind of stuck potentially being a head on a Mii Fighter.

There is zero chance that Sakurai would devote two fighter's pass slots to two characters from the exact same game, so, the only other way I could think for him to skirt past that issue would be to stack the characters on top of each other in the same slot. And yet, Geno and Mallow are too different to be considered an Olimar/Alph situation, so that wouldn't necessarily be the way to do it, either. But, again, this is me just kind of throwing words out; if Geno is in, I have incredible doubts that Mallow would be in right along with him, despite how much I would prefer otherwise.

I guess it's just fun to consider what kind of breaking-of-conventions could be done in order to throw the Mallow crew a bone, too.
I believe Geno and Mallow should not only be separate fighters, but should also have their own slots. A Geno/Mallow tag team conspect or Zelda/Sheik switch conspect is a bad idea in my opinion.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo fans: "We're not getting any news this week as Super Mario 3D All-Stars is releasing this week and Nintendo wants full attention on it"
Nintendo: "That's where you're wrong. Watch this."
[Nintendo gives us a Nintendo Direct Mini: Partners Showcase and a Monster Hunter Direct on the same day]

I don't get why people assume if there's a release date or information for a game in one week, that we can't get more in the same week. Next week doesn't have to be just about Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity information and TGS. We could see more, if Nintendo wanted. Plus Nintendo doesn't usually do anything for TGS (Koei Techmo would be showing off Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity).
Plus, as mentioned before, said information for Age of Calamity is being presented is on a Saturday, not any of the weekdays

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
So guys, I wonder when a Sakurai Presents may happen again?
I'm still sticking to my guns and going with my initial wager of October, and that's mainly because September already has so many things going on, that I don't really believe they're going to wanna stick a Smash presentation in the middle of all of that. It doesn't feel like there's much room for it here. Next month would be the best placement, I think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So guys, I wonder when a Sakurai Presents may happen again?
At the moment, it's looking like September 24th or October 8th at the earliest. October 1st is technically on the table too but I've noticed that Nintendo has a tendency to wait until at least the first full week of the month for Smash announcements for whatever reason. I want to say of all the DLC characters so far, Hero has been the one exception and he was an E3 announcement.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t know about you guys, but somehow, I doubt we will get a Sakurai Presents on the 24th this month.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I just want to bring this up:

There's 3 maintenances happening on the 28th. Could this be the date of #7's release? I dunno, but it's worth noting.
Out of all these, the Parent Confirmation thing is the most noteworthy and I know they updated it earlier this year but I don't remember when. Guess I need to painstakingly go through the maintenance archive again...

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

There's 3 maintenances happening on the 28th. Could this be the date of #7's release? I dunno, but it's worth noting.
Given that TGS is going on in the days leading up to the 28th, is it possible that 1, any games shown may get playable demos, and 2, said demos dropping onto the eShop would necessitate maintenance beforehand?

MattX20

Smash Hero

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Hmm, September 28th would approximate the three month mark since Min Min was released. Let's say that we do get CP 7 no later than three months after CP 6, then it would make sense for CP 7 to be announced next week, so that the week later (that of the 28th) the pack becomes available for download. Heh, and what a coincidence that would be since June 29th was also a Monday (Min Min's release).

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I never made an argument about whether Monster Hunter 'deserves a rep' because there is no such thing.

I actually lost my **** when they announced the new Monster Hunter and it pissed me off how people in this thread acted like this Showcase wasn't a big deal just because they have narrow tastes in video games. I can't wait to try on the giant Platypus armor and I'm very much hoping for a new weapon class. I'm so happy they kept changes from World that I think were much needed QoL additions and the Wire Bug seems so much fun I'm sure I'll die a thousand times to monsters I shouldn't just because I'm ****ing around with a rope bug.

Yes, believe it or not, I love Monster Hunter AND don't think they have a shot of getting a character. It is in fact possible, ladies and gents.

So in advance, stop assuming things about people. Every time this thread has assumed anything about me, they have been wrong.
Sorry I'm a little late on this but while seeing your other post did make want to write what I wrote, I just wanted to talk generally about Smash character speculation and used Monster Hunter as an example since it was on everyone's minds. I said that I rarely seen a person like a character and also think they SHOULDN'T get in, not that they CAN'T or is not possible. I know I like characters like Heavy and Commander Video and I don't think they have a chance in hell of getting in Smash right now, but I would never say they shouldn't get in. So I agree with your point on Monster Hunter relating to Smash.

However, there's no need to get frustrated at other people's tastes in games. I see directs as hyped-up, longer than normal, advertisements. So, if I or someone else doesn't like what is shown, then that's that. No reason to get riled up about what other people think of what is shown off in an ad. If you like Monster Hunter, then good on you for seeing what you wanted to see. But not everyone is gonna like something you like.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm a few pages behind, but for a thread that supposedly hates fan rules, some of ya'll sure do like to apply them to characters you don't want. What was it like 4 fan rules brought up against Monster Hunter? Maybe 5?
This is exactly what I was saying. As Geno supporters, we've had to fight gatekeeping like crazy, yet I find it disturbing how quick some people are to start using the exact same gatekeeping against other characters. Let's not become what we're fighting against.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'm a few pages behind, but for a thread that supposedly hates fan rules, some of ya'll sure do like to apply them to characters you don't want. What was it like 4 fan rules brought up against Monster Hunter? Maybe 5?
I wasn't part of that discussion, but I am of the opinion that some games can be better represented without giving that series a character.

For instance, I think Minecraft would be better represented in Smash with a stage and an assist trophy rather than a character though I do recognize the merits of a character from the series. Do I want a character from the series playable? Not really. Would I be upset if a character from Minecraft got in? No, I think their moveset would probably be pretty neat.

That being said, before Ultimate launched, I did (incorrectly) predict that we'd get a Monster Hunter as a playable character since Rathalos made it seem all the more obvious that such a thing was happening. For Monster Hunter as a series specifically, I do think it can be properly represented through either a boss or a character. I'm not attributing fan rules or anything, but these are my personal thoughts on the matter. If the focus of the series isn't the main character, then maybe the series is better represented with something else? For instance, Animal Crossing had a stage and an assist trophy long before it ever received a playable character. But am I opposed to a character? No.

I just wish Ultimate had a Brawl-esque "Boss Battle" mode to get the most out of the bosses instead of having to play specific Classic Modes with characters I don't like using or having to march all the way through World of Light again. That way we could appreciate the boss fights more easily. Part of what makes Monster Hunter interesting is how you have to throw yourself at a monster over and over again until you learn how to fight it. Ironically, this isn't one of the things you can do in Ultimate. You get very little practice with these bosses and I find that to be one of the few disappointing aspects of Ultimate.

I mean, yeah sure you can summon Rathalos in training mode since it's an assist trophy, too. But it doesn't do the full boss moveset as an assist trophy.

...Did I veer off my original topic?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
But to be fair, they're doing it against a character they don't care about, so it's totally fine. :ultpacman:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This is exactly what I was saying. As Geno supporters, we've had to fight gatekeeping like crazy, yet I find it disturbing how quick some people are to start using the exact same gatekeeping against other characters. Let's not become what we're fighting against.
There is a difference between fan rules that make no sense, like Spirits deconfirm so long as DLC is coming, and using information that has been given to us to come to a conclusion, like Monster Hunter is best represented by the monsters, Rathalos is both an AT and a boss with his own boss stage, making a playable monster is very improbable and thus far all the Capcom Mii Costumes have returned two at a time as filler costumes.

This is all rather damning, and the counterpoints are not very strong at all.

But to be fair, they're doing it against a character they don't care about, so it's totally fine. :ultpacman:
I already said how much I love monster hunter, do I have to upload my reaction to Rise as evidence?

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
There is a difference between fan rules that make no sense, like Spirits deconfirm so long as DLC is coming, and using information that has been given to us to come to a conclusion, like Monster Hunter is best represented by the monsters, Rathalos is both an AT and a boss with his own boss stage, making a playable monster is very improbable and thus far all the Capcom Mii Costumes have returned two at a time as filler costumes.

This is all rather damning, and the counterpoints are not very strong at all.
Here's the thing, you're entire argument here is:

"Monster Hunter is best represented by Monsters" + "making a playable monster is very improbable" thus we won't be getting a playable MH rep (excluding the rathalos costume)

Let's break this down:

-"Monster Hunter is best represented by Monsters": While I agree this is true, "best" is not the same as "only". We have actual instances in many other games where some form of hunter was represented, including other fighting games. This proves that representation BESIDES the monsters can and has been done. The inference of "monsters or nothing" for representation would be an erroneous assumption at best and a fabricated fan rule at worst.

-"making a playable monster is very improbable": I'll totally give you this. With the inclusion of the Rathalos AT and boss, I agree that adding another monster as a fighter would be incredibly improbable and frankly redundant, however, my point above renders this one moot.

-Lastly, and you didn't explicitly mention it in this particular comment, but there was also an argument made that a potential hunter wouldn't be original enough or have a moveset interesting enough to warrant becoming a fighter. This is an entirely subjective view which anyone is welcome to share or reject. Regardless, if Sakurai can make an interesting moveset out of a duck and a laughing dog, or an exercise peripheral, or several animal crossing characters that don't even feature any combat mechanics in their own games, I sincerely doubt he would fail to do something interesting with the hunter if he really wanted to. Any time someone claims, "oh, that character wouldn't get in because they'd be too similar to _____", they're just gatekeeping with assumptions and obvious bias.

It's important to note that most fan rules have at least SOME merit to them, albeit flawed. They try to use some form of logic to justify why characters they don't like won't get in. Now, I must say, I'm surprised to hear that you are such a huge MH fan, yet actively debate against their chances. I suppose we all have our own motivations but none of the arguments you've presented so far can completely dismiss the possibility of a monster hunter being added as DLC. Probable? Maybe, maybe not. But with the whereabouts of the rathalos costume unknown and the fact that a hunter CAN be added as content, I don't see how anyone could shoot down the prospect.

Last edited:

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Seems like we’re getting another online tournament next Saturday, not sure this means anything
Also this got added

Hot Girl Videos was right all along, we really ARE waiting until October 8th....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seems like we’re getting another online tournament next Saturday, not sure this means anything
Beat me to it but, yeah, I think this means we're bonezoned for Smash news for September. Beyond that, they've never done three tournaments in a row so that really does rule out October 1st too. Welp... Guess we're waiting until October 8th at the earliest...

D

Deleted member

Bodes well to me, so idk. We've spent a lot of time talking about how all the E3 stuff is suddenly happening, and would you look at that, our E3 invitational is happening except now we're all invited.

And E3 tournaments come with a character reveal.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Beat me to it but, yeah, I think this means we're bonezoned for Smash news for September. Beyond that, they've never done three tournaments in a row so that really does rule out October 1st too. Welp... Guess we're waiting until October 8th at the earliest...
No man, this isn't an event tourney, it's an official Nintendo tournament, completely different. It only happens over one day compared to the several days events do and doesn't even happen on a Friday. This conflicts with nothing other than not getting an ingame update before next Saturday which was obvious, we're still getting a normal in-game event next week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She was right. She was right all along.View attachment 286043
This community is really paddle-balling about Tiffany. One minute she's a know nothing fraud who wants to sell dildos to children by ****posting about Nintendo games and the next she's an all knowing prophet. Make up your minds.

October 8 doesn't even make sense in context of what fatman posted earlier, since the implication I was drawing from that is that we're going in this Monday/Wednesday -> Tuesday/Thursday pattern and October would be a Monday/Wednesday month. Maybe I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom