• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The past month has been kind of nuts and why I'm hoping that the dam soon breaks on Nintendo's 2021 plans. Here's a recap:

-Skyworld Sword for Switch potentially leaks

-A retail listing heavily suggests BotW 2 is coming out a lot sooner than originally expected

-The whole Mario presentation

-First totally new Hyrule Warriors game in 6 years announced

-Mario Super Picross is going to be available outside Japan for the first time in 25 years

-The most wanted missing SNES game from the SNES Classic, DKC2, is coming to the NSO

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update, with 48 items including a mobile game, a downloadable game, and a home console game according to the registration

-Ninja Gaiden Trilogy potentially leaked

-Mass Effect Trilogy potentially leaked

-Switch Pro rumors get a massive boost. March 26th not so subtly keeps popping up as a release date for major games.

-FF VII/FF VIII combo pack for outside Asia potentially leaked

-Nintendo confirms in its latest investors meeting that their main strategy until 2023 is to expand on their existing IPs, increase their global appeal, and primarily do this will brand new games on Switch.

-Two brand new Monster Hunter games

-Scott Pilgrim, arguably one of the best beat em ups ever, is coming to Switch

-Ori on Switch

This is all before TGS and before Nintendo has announced a single genuinely new 2021 game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The past month has been kind of nuts and why I'm hoping that the dam soon breaks on Nintendo's 2021 plans. Here's a recap:

-A retail listing heavily suggests BotW 2 is coming out a lot sooner than originally expected

-Mario Super Picross is going to be available outside Japan for the first time in 25 years

-The most wanted missing SNES game from the SNES Classic, DKC2, is coming to the NSO

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update, with 48 items including a mobile game, a downloadable game, and a home console game according to the registration

-Switch Pro rumors get a massive boost. March 26th not so subtly keeps popping up as a release date for major games.

-Nintendo confirms in its latest investors meeting that their main strategy until 2023 is to expand on their existing IPs, increase their global appeal, and primarily do this will brand new games on Switch.

-Ori on Switch

This is all before TGS and before Nintendo has announced a single genuinely new 2021 game.
It's only a matter of time at this point before Smash news finally drops

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
It'd be nice if, on top of everything else, we could get a followup to the 3DS game, Fantasy Life. I keep praying for the day where we hear that news on the horizon, along with, oh, I dunno, all the Geno stuff, SMRPG remake/sequel, and the inclusion of Geno and Mallow in other games as more than just cameos.

Honestly, it's kinda sad that SMRPG is just kinda ignore by almost the entire rest of the Mario franchise (though I get it's copyright stuff most likely). I don't think any other game even mentions the world shattering event that was the Smithy Gang invasion.
Course, I'm biased in that I don't think any other Mario RPG has as much charm and character as SMRPG, but that's my personal take. More a testament to SMRPG because I know that the original two Paper Mario Games are exploding with character, charm, and creativity.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yes, several people in my network have contacted me regarding Chief since mid July, more or less backing up the accounts I gave here. It's one of those things where I'll say something, word gets around, they reach out to me and then we cross check what we have. "You heard Chief too? Here's what I have heard on my end." That sort of thing.
11E695E2-ECBA-465A-9249-0DA492F09986.gif

Interesting, veeeeery interesting. I’m definitely getting good feelings about both Geno & Master Chief right now. Definitely giving me the same vibes I had about Banjo last year.

We’ll see about everyone else, I think we’ll see another Nintendo character & I’m personally leaning towards a BOTW character rn but who knows.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

-Ori on Switch

Where do we go from here though? They confirmed several more Partner Showcases for the rest of the year so it seems we're sticking with the one a month thing. And they just dropped a HUGE announcement in here with Monster Hunter Rise, plus Stories 2, Disgaea 6, and Rune Factory 5 all being 2021 third party exclusives, and Ori 2 getting ported. This clearly isn't a dumping ground for "smaller filler direct announcements". We're still waiting on the No More Heroes stuff, Bravely Default 2's obvious delay, and the listed stuff you mentioned.

I guess the good news is 2020 is basically locked in so anything they announce from here on out is going to be 2021, but that could be any random weekday in the next few months. Really the only two things that seem certain at this point are Smash and Pokemon DLC, one of which is likely coming next week if Nintendo's week by week info dumps continue.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
When was the amiibo thing again? September 24th right?

Yeah we better see the Next Fighter by then i swear.
Apparently the Joker and Hero amiibos are already supported (added in the Small Battlefield update), so I don't expect the next character until some time after they come out.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Apparently the Joker and Hero amiibos are already supported (added in the Small Battlefield update), so I don't expect the next character until some time after they come out.
That's only the end of next week though, they could be revealed next Monday, release a week later, and still be after them. I went over this already, amiibo theory has nothing to do with the game NEEDING an update to add amiibo support, if it did none of the characters would release after the amiibo, which HALF of them have so far. All amiibo theory says is that they tend to release characters near amiibo releases, and it's been extremely consistent thus far so I don't see a reason to doubt it now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's only the end of next week though, they could be revealed next Monday, release a week later, and still be after them. I went over this already, amiibo theory has nothing to do with the game NEEDING an update to add amiibo support, if it did none of the characters would release after the amiibo, which HALF of them have so far. All amiibo theory says is that they tend to release characters near amiibo releases, and it's been extremely consistent thus far so I don't see a reason to doubt it now.
Exactly, it's the release dates between the fighter and the amiibos that have proven consistent thus far. As noted in that PDF https://drive.google.com/file/d/12qXtQmACJ41fuS-mygOKf9NwixMj_e-T/view?usp=sharing , the release dates typically don't happen much later than a week or two between them

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I went over this already, amiibo theory has nothing to do with the game NEEDING an update to add amiibo support,
I mean...the game does need to be updated to add the RFID# number of any new amiibos the game needs to support. It's a tiny change to make. My understanding is:
  • New amiibos are being released on X date
  • A new fighter is finished and ready to be added
  • The game must be updated to add the new IDs for new amiibos.

Because of those three events, Nintendo has so far scheduled things together for convenience. Roll the fighter out in the same version update as the required amiibo changes around the time the new amiibo come out.

The amiibo update is taken care of, so there is no pressing need to release or announce the next fighter in an update near the release of the amiibo.

I'm not saying they wont still announce #7 in the coming weeks. I'm just saying they don't have to anymore, which in my opinion makes an announcement unlikely.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean Nintendo has been pretty consistent with dropping a "highlight" each week of September, so I wouldn't count out Smash in September out yet.

Currently, the two things that make sense are the Pokemon DLC and Smash Fighter 7. We are getting an update on Hyrule Warriors 2 at the end of next week, but seeing as that already got a highlight, I'd say it doesn't really count against either of them. My guess is Smash next week (maybe at TGS?), with Pokemon getting an update in the last bit of September.

Obviously there is a chance that we may have to wait till October, but I don't think we can count September out for Nintendo at least in terms of Smash/Pokemon.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
View attachment 285989

Interesting, veeeeery interesting. I’m definitely getting good feelings about both Geno & Master Chief right now. Definitely giving me the same vibes I had about Banjo last year.

We’ll see about everyone else, I think we’ll see another Nintendo character & I’m personally leaning towards a BOTW character rn but who knows.
Not gonna lie, if we really end up getting Geno and Master Chief in Smash, I'll never ask for anything else ever again. The entire rest of the pass could be anything else and I'd be more than happy.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm kinda of the opinion that the more other series start getting announcements (Zelda, Mario, etc) the more people are just going to start thinking "Wait, what about Smash?"
Exactly which is why, in my opinion, if all this build up for this month was "just" for a Smash character, it would be kind of weird. Despite us being the Global Headquarters of Geno Cult LLC, Geno being the "big finale" of the month that had new Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, and no doubt a huge outpouring of third party games at TGS seems a bit off to me.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Exactly which is why, in my opinion, if all this build up for this month was "just" for a Smash character, it would be kind of weird. Despite us being the Global Headquarters of Geno Cult LLC, Geno being the "big finale" of the month that had new Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, and no doubt a huge outpouring of third party games at TGS seems a bit off to me.
Are you still predicting Geno/SMRPG remake being revealed together, then? Or something else?

Reactions: QQS

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair, just because they're not very defines as a character in their home game doesn't mean Smash can't give them a character. I'm sure they could whip something up out of the various emotes.

Either way I was only half-arguing anyways, though I'm sure Kirby declaring he won't forgive you while the symbols for "Menacing" surround him would kinda give off that impression.
Oh, yeah. Tbh I don't really care if a character like Monster Hunter gets in, I'm sure they'd be cool. I mean, even if a character is more meant as a generic avatar, they can still have cool designs, be fun, and show nice personality like Villager (and even the miis), since Smash can give them/extend on character like you said. I guess I'm just a bit quick to point out Steve and Alex being more than avatars since that was often used as a argument for why they won't/shouldn't get in, even if the argument wasn't actually used and just compared to them... (admittedly I don't really see it much at all anymore, but idk, it used to be somewhat common alongside other stuff before it died out and Steve fans finally got peace most of the time...)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you still predicting Geno/SMRPG remake being revealed together, then? Or something else?
I don't know but it feels like Nintendo is building up to something, doesn't it? Like we pointed out earlier today, Partner showcases have been the last full week of the month the last two months and not only is the one we got today easily the best of the three by a considerable amount but it arguably had some of the biggest third party announcements Switch has had so far this entire literal god forsaken year. Mario, Zelda, and now Monster Hunter, what's next?

Beyond that, there was already a lot that was on a low boil at the beginning of this month.

-Even with NMH3 and Bravely Default 2 being publicly delayed, there's no reason they can't give an update on either.

-Metroid is still MIA

-Bayonetta 3 is still MIA

-Crown Tundra needs an update.

-New Horizons has been teasing the October plans since literally February but we have no idea what they are yet.

-Lot of Zelda stuff with BotW2 being the most obvious.

-Smash, of course.

We're now down to the final full week of the month next week and for 7 of the 9 months this year this has meant presentations so what is Nintendo holding onto if Mario and a Partner Showcase are already out of the way?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I still think Nintendo announcing something each week in September is still in play. The first week they announced Super Mario 3D All-Stars and had an entire Direct themed around Mario's 35th anniversary, last week we had Hyrule Warriors: Calamity Of Ganon revealed, and this week we got the Partner's Showcase over and done with. At this point, I still can't completely toss out the idea of a Smash reveal in September since at this rate, Nintendo seems to be announcing one major thing each week this month, and Smash is something you should easily save towards the end of the month in my opinion.

At this rate, I don't think it'll be too long until Challenger Pack 7 cough Geno cough will get revealed.

link2702

Smash Champion
IDK about that. It's got some fierce competition. My favorite is always Turtles in Time. I had that on the SNES, but especially the arcade version.
Damnit. Why you gotta bring that up? Now I gotta go hunt down a Copy of Turtles in Time to add to my SNES collection.....

Shouldn't be too hard to find I don't think, the vintage stock near me probably has one.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I don't know but it feels like Nintendo is building up to something, doesn't it? Like we pointed out earlier today, Partner showcases have been the last full week of the month the last two months and not only is the one we got today easily the best of the three by a considerable amount but it arguably had some of the biggest third party announcements Switch has had so far this entire literal god forsaken year. Mario, Zelda, and now Monster Hunter, what's next?

Beyond that, there was already a lot that was on a low boil at the beginning of this month.

-Even with NMH3 and Bravely Default 2 being publicly delayed, there's no reason they can't give an update on either.

-Metroid is still MIA

-Bayonetta 3 is still MIA

-Crown Tundra needs an update.

-New Horizons has been teasing the October plans since literally February but we have no idea what they are yet.

-Lot of Zelda stuff with BotW2 being the most obvious.

-Smash, of course.

We're now down to the final full week of the month next week and for 7 of the 9 months this year this has meant presentations so what is Nintendo holding onto if Mario and a Partner Showcase are already out of the way?
They have done announcements for directs on Fridays, have they not? If there was a direct next week, tomorrow would be prime to get people hyped over the weekend for a direct on Monday.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They have done announcements for directs on Fridays, have they not? If there was a direct next week, tomorrow would be prime to get people hyped over the weekend for a direct on Monday.
The thing is, Monday and Tuesdays are national Japanese holidays. Unless we get a weekend livestream or Nintendo feels like breaking tradition, we'll have to wait until the later half of the week for a major news drop.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The thing is, Monday and Tuesdays are national Japanese holidays. Unless we get a weekend livestream or Nintendo feels like breaking tradition, we'll have to wait until the later half of the week for a major news drop.
We've already had Nintendo killing off Directs in favor of Partner Showcases, as well as shadowdropping stuff like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and the Mario Direct. By now, would Nintendo breaking tradition and having some sort of livestream or video presentation during a national holiday really be out of the question?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We've already had Nintendo killing off Directs in favor of Partner Showcases, as well as shadowdropping stuff like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and the Mario Direct. By now, would Nintendo breaking tradition and having some sort of livestream or video presentation during a national holiday really be out of the question?
It would at least be more of a stretch because a nation-wide holiday in a traditionalist country is in a completely different league than a companies' standard business strategies.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Even though people are always throwing shade at HotGirlVideos, she DID allude to October 8th being the day like a week ago...

...Really hope she isn't right this time

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 285989

Personally more than anything, I'm betting we will get another Xenoblade rep if any other Nintendo character get's in the Pass. Another Xenoblade rep is pretty much overdue.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Personally more than anything, I'm betting we will get another Xenoblade rep if any other Nintendo character get's in the Pass. Another Xenoblade rep is pretty much overdue.
Yeah, Rex would be my second choice. But Nintendo really seems to want to keep pushing BOTW. So I can see one of the Champions as a way to celebrate how beloved BOTW is, promote AoC/BOTW2 & finally give Zelda a new rep. But yeah Xenoblade is also long overdue too.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ve never seen them have any sort of reveal or info drop on a national holiday; especially big ones like New Years. Monday and Tuesday is Respect for the Elderly Day and Autumn Equinox (four day weekend woohoo!!). Even the old PotD avoided updates on Japanese holidays. Even if we didn’t get any sort of Info this week; I would still be doubtful about them revealing anything on those two days. Even an announcement of an upcoming presentation later in the week or the next week after. But then again, I’ve been wrong before. I’m not counting it.

Even though people are always throwing shade at HotGirlVideos, she DID allude to October 8th being the day like a week ago...

A lot of Japanese Smash circles I participate in have been throwing around an October reveal since mid-August. At this point, I’ve jumped onto the train. No word who it could be in those circles but Dante and Monster Hunter gets thrown around a lot. A lot. Especially MH with the reveal of Rise. Geno and Crash are mentioned often as well but within the context of “That’s what the West wants.” The Japanese Smash community is typically fine with this and is usually receptive to this sort of thing (like...they want Geno and Crash as well).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ve never seen them have any sort of reveal or info drop on a national holiday; especially big ones like New Years. Monday and Tuesday is Respect for the Elderly Day and Autumn Equinox (four day weekend woohoo!!). Even the old PotD avoided updates on Japanese holidays. Even if we didn’t get any sort of Info this week; I would still be doubtful about them revealing anything on those two days. Even an announcement of an upcoming presentation later in the week or the next week after. But then again, I’ve been wrong before. I’m not counting it.

A lot of Japanese Smash circles I participate in have been throwing around an October reveal since mid-August. At this point, I’ve jumped onto the train. No word who it could be in those circles but Dante and Monster Hunter gets thrown around a lot. A lot. Especially MH with the reveal of Rise.
You’re in Japanese Smash circles?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You’re in Japanese Smash circles?
I’m in two Smash discussion groups on a Japanese messaging/SNS app. One I’ve been apart of since Smash 4 and one that I was invited to a while back. Though I mostly lurk there and fish for info. It’s more or less what goes on here....but in Japanese lol. I do go through Smash Japanese sites, Twitter, and such for info as well. I also keep in contact with three of my previous JHS students (who have since graduate high school) and we talk Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m in two Smash discussion groups on a Japanese messaging/SNS app. One I’ve been apart of since Smash 4 and one that I was invited to a while back. Though I mostly lurk there and fish for info. It’s more or less what goes on here....but in Japanese lol.
Oh. Sounds interesting.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
IDK about that. It's got some fierce competition. My favorite is always Turtles in Time. I had that on the SNES, but especially the arcade version.
well Scott Pilgrim certainly is one of the best beat em ups,so is TMNT. The Simpsons is great too,and you can´t forget about X-men.
And if you don´t think X-men is one of the best, you´re definitely ¨welcome to die!¨.
My favorite will always be Alien Vs Predator. Because... wait, I´m offtopic now.

Be prepared though, Geno or fp7 will definitely be revealed late. When´s the next sakurai Column_?

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what do you think is the best possible scenario for FP2 characters later down the line at this moment? Who do you predict will be in FP2?

Last edited:

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m in two Smash discussion groups on a Japanese messaging/SNS app. One I’ve been apart of since Smash 4 and one that I was invited to a while back. Though I mostly lurk there and fish for info. It’s more or less what goes on here....but in Japanese lol. I do go through Smash Japanese sites, Twitter, and such for info as well. I also keep in contact with three of my previous JHS students (who have since graduate high school) and we talk Smash.
Don't you still live in Japan? I remember you talking about living there and raising your daughter (? Sorry, if I'm misremembering) a number of times in the past.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Nintendo fans: "We're not getting any news this week as Super Mario 3D All-Stars is releasing this week and Nintendo wants full attention on it"
Nintendo: "That's where you're wrong. Watch this."
[Nintendo gives us a Nintendo Direct Mini: Partners Showcase and a Monster Hunter Direct on the same day]

I don't get why people assume if there's a release date or information for a game in one week, that we can't get more in the same week. Next week doesn't have to be just about Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity information and TGS. We could see more, if Nintendo wanted. Plus Nintendo doesn't usually do anything for TGS (Koei Techmo would be showing off Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Don't you still live in Japan? I remember you talking about living there and raising your daughter (? Sorry, if I'm misremembering) a number of times in the past.
Yup, still here. It’s been a full decade this past August. We have two daughters: 3 years old last week and the youngest will be 1 year old in early December. However, because my parents health are failing and they have yet to meet thier grandkids, I’ll be immigrating my family back to the States within the year. Currently in the middle of the green card visa process for my wife and it’s so much paperwork and tons of waiting around. I wish I could have gotten into Smash events here but I live way out in the boonies and my time is spent either with the family, doing housework, or doing actual work. I posted a video of our house in Japan a couple weeks ago. And here’s one where I found a Tanuki.

Geno enjoys moderate popularity in Japan but, like Crash and Banjo before, it’s more of a “He’s popular in the West rather in Japan.” Which is strange considering he’s primarily a Made in Japan character. While 2B and Sora do tend to score higher than Geno when I check rankings or polls (Sora has been sitting at number 1 since Vol 2 started but I heard MH unseated him), Geno has maintained a position on the top 10-20 chart for the longest amount of time. Japan certainly wants him, that’s for sure.

For me personally, what intrigues me more about Geno’s inclusion is not so much the character but the costumes, Spirits, and music that comes with it. I love to come up with Spirit Battle ideas (especially in my news articles) and the ones that they could do with SMRPG would be amazing. Bowyer’s Spirit Battle could be a Stamina Match against Link on Garden of Hope who primarily uses his Neutral Special which occasionally receives a huge buff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom