• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Not just one, but two Monster Hunter titles, the reveal of Disgaea 6 being console exclusive, the reveal of the sequel to Ori (March 2020 release initially) arriving on Switch in the same day as the Partner Showcase (not sure which game was the 5-year-old port, in this case, but..), and a couple of other items that aren't as high-profile, sure, but I think this was rather good, given the past history of what was essentially sizzle-reel material with the occasional hiccup of something interesting.

I don't think it's particularly fair to the selection to suppose that MH was the only noteworthy item on the list, and everything else was a wet raspberry. For a wide selection of people, a lot of what was shown were particularly big deals.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd just like to point out how startling the difference is in the reactions to the last two Partner Directs and this one. Really the problem isn't the format it was the lack of anything of genuine substance until now

Nintendo thinks they're REAL smooth... We see them, they don't fool us.

MattX20

Smash Hero
On the topic of Monster Hunter in Smash, I strongly doubt it for one main reason: brand expansion. Not a topic I bring up a lot because it's a bit too adulty for my tastes and kind of takes some of the mystique out of Smash picks but I'd argue it's very relevant here.

When it comes to Smash third party picks, it's pretty obvious that the first pick of a third party is overwhelmingly their most iconic. Konami got Snake, SEGA got Sonic, etc. Capcom is especially interesting. Looking at their line up, Megaman isn't in the top 3 sales wise:

It's ranked 4th and Resident Evil has had almost triple the overall sales. Nobody will deny, however, that Megaman is unmistakably Capcom's most iconic character and the strongest overall connection to Nintendo fans. Once Megaman was added, it was time to choose another. Street Fighter is ranked 3rd but nobody will deny that Ryu is a gaming giant. Capcom also not so subtly used Ryu in Smash to "relaunch" the Street Fighter brand on Nintendo platforms. Now we're in an interesting position that points to the strong possibility of a third Capcom franchise rep. I doubt they will go with Monster Hunter and I'll explain why.

Monster Hunter doesn't really "need" to be established on Nintendo platforms. It sells like crazy no matter what it's put on and even the 3DS and Wii U games pulled in some very impressive numbers. The cross market of Monster Hunter and Nintendo fans is very, very strong. In a word, Monster Hunter doesn't "need the boost." Whether Monster Hunter is in Smash or not, sales are still going to pour in because they already have and will easily continue to.

What is a Capcom franchise that would benefit from a Smash appearance though? What is a Capcom franchise that currently has very "young" Nintendo loyalty but fans have very vocally demanded more? What is a Capcom franchise that has overwhelmingly gone to a competitor in the past but the market on their own side has recently been busted wide open? The answer is Megaman Soccer, I mean... Devil May Cry.

Coincidentally, Dante is also a super heavily requested character, making the situation even better. Popular character? Check. Opens up new markets? Check. Sticks a finger in Sony's eye? Check. Gives Nintendo yet another M rated series? Check. You get the idea. I think he's a putz but I can't deny that Dante is a golden goose of a character, much in the same vein as Bayonetta, Joker, and Hero. Monster Hunter in Smash is just kind of redundant but Dante in Smash opens a lot of doors for both Nintendo and Capcom and just one of the reasons why I feel they'll ultimately go with him if Capcom gets another rep.
The only genuine competition Dante has as far as a prominent Capcom rep goes is Phoenix Wright due to his series being all but Nintendo exclusive and the series was very popular on handhelds like Professor Layton. Apart from Geno and the Namco rep, those two are by far the strongest contenders for a potential Capcom rep

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
9/10 partner showcase for me. I couldn't care less about the shoot shoot pew pew games. Monster Hunter went beyond my expectations and Ori 2 getting shadow dropped literally made me shed a tear, that was an insta-buy for me! This was in a different timeline than those past showcases lol, the quality games picks were on another level

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I saw they had Rune Factory 5, which I've always wanted to try the Rune Factory series. It's like Harvest Moon with monsters or something. But what else was there

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Saw this posted over on the Newcomer thread...
Nintendo has been killing it this September, and we're not even done yet.

All we needed was some patience.
I don't remember if Zippo is considered credible or not, but we do still have a week and a half of September left...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Saw this posted over on the Newcomer thread...

I don't remember if Zippo is considered credible or not, but we do still have a week and a half of September left...
He is not, he has a terrible track record of getting things wrong despite whatever stuff he has gotten right. I'm not gonna trust him on Mega man news as much as I would LOVE it… I want to believe in capcom's redemption arc as much as everyone else but i'm not gonna believe a word from zippo lol specially since he got banned once from that era site for making people believe in mario kart 9 and then acting passive aggressive when being corrected that it was an old promo art.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'd just like to point out how startling the difference is in the reactions to the last two Partner Directs and this one. Really the problem isn't the format it was the lack of anything of genuine substance until now

Nintendo Marketing: ''Guys, GUYS, I made a shocking discovery! Our customers seem to be happy and excited when we actually announce games! Is it possible we were wrong when we thought being completely silent was the best way to communicate? Do our competitors know of this crazy turn of events where you get positive press when you announce upcoming games?! We need to research this more!'

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Marketing: ''Guys, GUYS, I made a shocking discovery! Our customers seem to be happy and excited when we actually announce games! Is it possible we were wrong when we thought being completely silent was the best way to communicate? Do our competitors know of this crazy turn of events where you get positive press when you announce upcoming games?! We need to research this more!'
no you fool, they are exited thanks to the long wait, delay fighter 7 another 3 months

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Given Ori's apparent connection to Microsoft (I'm not the most familiar with that series; correct me if I'm wrong), could the Will of the Wisps announcement have been one of the three or four that Chief could have capped off?
Microsoft owns the Ori IP, so Microsoft is still working with Nintendo!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think """"""""""something"""""""" next week is pretty much a given at this point. Nintendo has been slowly playing its cards to an agonizing degree but three of the cards played today were two Monster Hunter games and Ori. All three of these games are big enough deals to be headliners of a General Direct; what the Hell is Nintendo holding onto that allows them to nonchalantly reveal these games in a Partner? Not one but two games for one of the best selling third party franchises and the most on the nose Microsoft/Nintendo team up this year? I don't think enough people grasp how big of a deal it is and, again,TGS is next week and another partial to wrap up September after that. As others have said, there's a pretty good chance Nintendo isn't done yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is Nintendo participating in TGS this year?
Not directly. With almost every major Japanese game company making an appearance and hosting hour long livestreams, however, third party Switch announcements will likely cascade out the door. Nintendo may do something seperate from the event too.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Is the Age of Calamity news drop next week or the week after? Cause if it's next week I don't expect Smash news until October.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah next week is TGS and will have more AoC info. I would be surprised if more than that gets shown next week. I'm fearing we will have to wait for the week after which will be the last week of the month / first days of october, since that's closer to the whole amiibo deal. That's just my guess tho, i would like to be surprised next week beyond AoC news.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
the reveal of the sequel to Ori (March 2020 release initially) arriving on Switch in the same day as the Partner Showcase (not sure which game was the 5-year-old port, in this case, but..)
Oh ****, my bad. I thought it was the original Ori that got shadowdropped.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Man I’m happy I grew up with the stuff that I did when I was a kid. Monster Hunter as a character in Smash just seems so generic. Geno is such a cooler character in every way. He checks off all the boxes!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Man I’m happy I grew up with the stuff that I did when I was a kid. Monster Hunter as a character in Smash just seems so generic. Geno is such a cooler character in every way. He checks off all the boxes!
This sounds and reeks of ''I've never played Monster Hunter."

Like you can love Geno without liking the other but at least let the comment make sense friend.

There's NOTHING generic about how many things the Hunter could do as fighter. So many weapons at their disposable from those games. He/she would play nothing at all like anyone else in the cast really if done right.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wanted to revisit a topic that I touched on a little in the past but figured it's worth revisiting as we all slowly go mad waiting for Smash news. Nintendo's a huge stickler for scheduling and, up until this year, predominantly focused their major announcements on one or two particular days of the week. From January through May this year, it was Tuesday and Thursday. Then, for whatever reason, Nintendo shifted to Monday and Wednesday for June through August. In September, Nintendo has gone back to Tuesday and Thursday. When Nintendo establishes a day for announcements, it will typically hold this pattern for months afterwards. This said, until October at the very least, it's been hard established that Tuesday and Thursday are the big announcement days meaning the 22nd, 24th, and 29th are the remaining days we should be paying the most attention to for major announcements for the remainder of the month.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This sounds and reeks of ''I've never played Monster Hunter."

Like you can love Geno without liking the other but at least let the comment make sense friend.

There's NOTHING generic about how many things the Hunter could do as fighter. So many weapons at their disposable from those games. He/she would play nothing at all like anyone else in the cast really if done right.
Actually, there is nothing special about a hunter.

Many character use oversized weapons. Many characters use weapons made from materials or pieces of what they kill. Many characters wear stylish armor. Many characters use weapons that have fantasy elements like elemental attacks, explosions, buffs and debuffs or multiple forms. Many characters do bombastic and flashy attacks that aren't even slightly realistic. Many characters have animal companions. Many characters hunt animals and fight things bigger than themselves. Many characters eat a lot of food in one sitting.

There aren't very many action figures possessed by star spirits that fire all manners of bullets and can shoot holy lasers and turn into a cannon. By comparison, a hunter is much less interesting.

In Monster Hunter, it's all about the monsters. Ergo, if a monster can't be a playable character, MH will not get a rep.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wanted to revisit a topic that I touched on a little in the past but figured it's worth revisiting as we all slowly go mad waiting for Smash news. Nintendo's a huge stickler for scheduling and, up until this year, predominantly focused their major announcements on one or two particular days of the week. From January through May this year, it was Tuesday and Thursday. Then, for whatever reason, Nintendo shifted to Monday and Wednesday for June through August. In September, Nintendo has gone back to Tuesday and Thursday. When Nintendo establishes a day for announcements, it will typically hold this pattern for months afterwards. This said, until October at the very least, it's been hard established that Tuesday and Thursday are the big announcement days meaning the 22nd, 24th, and 29th are the remaining days we should be paying the most attention to for major announcements for the remainder of the month.
That's been true of most Nintendo announcements, but the Sakurai Presents we got last time happened on a Monday, so I'm keeping my eyes open for Friday to see if there's announcement for it for next week. If not, then Tuesday and Wednesday since the Tokyo Game Show starts on Thursday of next week

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If we get lucky, an announcement for the next Showcase, whether it be Smash or Pokemon, could happen on Monday (21st) and it drops the following day on the 22nd.

I think the Pokemon DLC and Smash are both worth a 24hr heads up to prepare reactions.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Didn't the creator of Bayonetta retweet the Partner's announcement? I thought that would hint at Bayonetta 3 being shown, or mentioned at least.
Tell that to kamiya on Twitter.
"BLOCKED"

The first partner was crappily received after months of barely any news, nintendo skipping e3,built in hype and the strange "development and publishing partners" pr line.
Second was ignored and had no games of note that I can remember.
Third one was livestreamed, had two days of previous announcement, most people who were expecting cool stuff had been already filled by zelda and the mario collection, and it had new games and games of note. Also,most people already knew what partner directs entailed.
3RD PARTIES.
No wonder in the different reception beyond the games.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Pretty good direct if I do say so myself.

So a bit of a correction: Monster Hunter was TECHNICALLY in the base game of MvCI as she was in the story mode even though she was DLC that cost extra cash to get as playable. One of the many problems with that horrible game.

Also, the monsters still represent the series best, as the Hunter is always a generic avatar for your character a la Steve? Clearly, no monster could be a playable character in Smash unless it was a smaller one but the big ones are the ones who are iconic. Thus, it is better to incorporate the iconic armors for Miis instead. In Teppen, the playable characters from Monster Hunter are Rathalos, Nergigante and a Felyne. No Hunter to be found there.

In Wings Of Ruin, there are named characters who are important, but it's still mostly focused on Rathalos and an egg and Stories is a spin-off RPG series that is much more narrative driven. When they introduce new content to Monster Hunter, do they show the new gear or accessories first? No, it's all about the monsters, the rest comes after.

Using the Rathalos Armor in SFV and Smash 4 as evidence to back you up falls short because the armor itself is what is iconic, not the hunter, which is why it can be easily used as skins for generic Miis and the armor is red and semi-flamboyant which fits Ken. Once again, this speaks more for Rathalos being the flagship character of Monster Hunter. Even if you consider the generic Hunter armor, once again it's iconic because it's the first armor you get and you tend to keep it for a bit before you can upgrade even if it's only bits and peaces of it, not because of the hunter.

In essence, it's highly unlikely for Smash to have a playable monster from Monster Hunter, so the best way to represent the series is not by a fighter, by with iconic armor sets for Miis and Rathalos as both an AT and boss.

This is why the odds of a Monster Hunter rep are so abysmally low. Also, can we stop being reactionary and shouting from rooftops every time a game is announced for Switch that they must be getting a character in Ultimate? How many times must this be thoroughly proven wrong before you stop barking it like a dog who thinks they saw a squirrel. Use your brain on this one, guys.

Both of these titles are for next year, one of them being the middle of next year. This would mean that to coincide with these plans, Capcom would have had to negotiate for Monster Hunter to have a character before June 2019 to have them in FP2...but Capcom already negotiated for Rathalos to be an AT and boss for the base game and no MH character got in the base game or FP1. Wouldn't that have been the time to negotiate for that, during the massive success of Monster Hunter World and the rising hype of Iceborne? Not over a year later for two games that don't come out until next year?

Come on guys, you can do better than this.
This has got to be one of the dumbest fan rule-esque arguments that I've seen in a long, long time. Rathalos Armor is super iconic because a lot of times it's seen as the go-to look for the Hunter, it's the look seen in pretty much most of the promotional work; it's literally their most iconic look, and honestly a community symbol. Sure, Rathalos itself is the main flagship of MH; but that doesn't mean that certain Hunter appearances aren't iconic either.

I don't really get what you're trying to get at with that argument that somehow the armor set is iconic, but the Hunter themselves aren't; and that means that somehow the best way to represent MH is through costumes rather than a fighter. It's like arguing that all the Chief/Doomguy popularity originates in their outfits, and the characters themselves aren't iconic, so the best way to represent their series is through a costume (in that it literally makes 0 sense).

And even then, I don't know what you're talking about the "first armor set being more iconic than the hunter", especially because most of the time you decide the hunter's clothes "default" look, and most of the official starting armor sets differ slightly in each game anyways (though I may be wrong on this one, since it's been so long since I started a new file).

Again, MH is definitely focused on the "Monsters", but that doesn't really mean that the Hunter himself isn't an icon either. I mean they don't even start off trailers with monsters anymore, but usually with the hunter and the palico/felyne exploring first (both in World and Rise, along with a couple others).

If the complaint is that MH has no "default" look, like you yourself stated; they tend to go with rathalos armor set in most cases. Kirin armor is also pretty popular in certain crossovers, followed by some of the other flagships. If the complaint is that it's a (mostly) silent character with no defined personality, well we have gotten the Heroes from DQ, and Joker from P5 (who really isn't that silent in Smash), and much like those characters MH also displays a ton of their "personality" through animations. On top of that we have also gotten Byleth, who has much less personality literally. In terms of characters with customization appearances, we have gotten Robin and Corrin; and both of them went with their most popular default appearance; which the equivalent of that would be the Rathalos Armor set.

And the complaint of "they negotiated with the IP in some form before, and it didn't get in as a fighter then; so why would it now", doesn't really work only for MH either. They negotiated for Geno and Mallow spirits during base game, that doesn't mean that Geno has to remain a spirit through FP 2 (hopefully). We don't know what kinds of negotiations occur in the back. For all we know, Nintendo may have wanted to wait until a new mainline MH game came out on the Switch, before it gave them playable representation. Obviously, it's all hypothetical.

And yeah, I find it pretty annoying when people consider a character a "lock" when a game is announced; but most people don't do that. It's only natural a character see's more discussion due to game announcements, and there is nothing wrong with that. Because ultimately, there have always been characters that got into Smash due to recent games; it's a natural part of speculation, and you don't have to tell people to shut up about it.

If we discount the promotional appeal of a character, we may as well ignore other things that factor into Smash as well, so things like fan demand, shouldn't really matter either. But both those things definitely do in some aspects.

So literally all I see you doing in this post, is trying to find any counterarguments to the potential inclusion of Hunter, without really looking from a objective place and considering the things that Hunter does have going for him; which is massive Japanese popularity (both as a series and in terms of Smash), the biggest Capcom series currently, a potentially super unique play style with the likes of traps, felynes, and hunting styles, and multiple upcoming Switch games.

On the other hand, to be fair; let's consider the disadvantages. It's already represented in Smash in some form, and Monster Hunter has always been more about the Monsters than the player (which while being a weak reason to potentially prevent the Hunter from joining, still is a reason), middling international popularity (in terms of Smash).

So all in all, I think MH has a pretty fair shot, not abysmally low like you suggested and likewise not a lock either. I've always said in the Newcomer thread, that the biggest Capcom front runners are Dante and Monster Hunter, and they both have solid things that go in their favor.

Firox

Smash Master
Actually, there is nothing special about a hunter.

Many character use oversized weapons. Many characters use weapons made from materials or pieces of what they kill. Many characters wear stylish armor. Many characters use weapons that have fantasy elements like elemental attacks, explosions, buffs and debuffs or multiple forms. Many characters do bombastic and flashy attacks that aren't even slightly realistic. Many characters have animal companions. Many characters hunt animals and fight things bigger than themselves. Many characters eat a lot of food in one sitting.

There aren't very many action figures possessed by star spirits that fire all manners of bullets and can shoot holy lasers and turn into a cannon. By comparison, a hunter is much less interesting.

In Monster Hunter, it's all about the monsters. Ergo, if a monster can't be a playable character, MH will not get a rep.
Dude, let me start by saying I do not particularly care if a Monster Hunter is added to smash and I personally agree with you that Geno would be a much more interesting character by comparison, but I feel it important to emphasize that the comments made about MH were NOT a comparison between the two. The point was simply being made that MH could potentially have a wide variety of weapons and moves to make them more interesting which is a 100% true statement. I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that MH couldn't be original with the ludicrous spread of guns, blades, hammers, tools, traps, etc. they possess, obviously has never legit played a Monster Hunter game in the last 5 years or is straight-up shamelessly gatekeeping.

It would be like someone arguing about why Terry never would have been added to smash because we already have two traditional fighting game characters so YAWN, my character is better cuz reasons. Really? Let's not be as horrifyingly petty as the Geno detractors. I, for one, have spent way too long fighting against gatekeepers to willfully be guilty of the exact same thing.

And no, MH is not only about the monsters. As someone already posted earlier, there is a lot of MH content in other games (including fighting games) that feature the hunter themselves. If you don't like or want a hunter in Smash, I totally sympathize, but let's please not invent reasons to gatekeep.

PS. All things considered, my confidence in a hunter coming to smash has dropped quite a bit (probably around 25%). Still, we can't deny the possibility that it could happen.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Given Ori's apparent connection to Microsoft (I'm not the most familiar with that series; correct me if I'm wrong), could the Will of the Wisps announcement have been one of the three or four that Chief could have capped off?
No BUT there's supposed to be a couple of other Nintendo/Microsoft announcements on the way that are supposedly tied into Chief's trailer according to three people I talk to. Three different people in my network who likely don't even know each other all basically saying the same things regarding Chief in Smash and why I'm taking it as seriously as I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom