• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
A reasonable expectation, I think, is likely something in regards to that Monster Hunter title that we're supposed to be seeing before TGS. As far as other announcements, I think Bayonetta 3 isn't too far off from a possibility, either. As far as anything else? I wouldn't expect the world, per se. A mini is a mini, after all. Anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes seems like a good estimate of what we'll see tomorrow, and I can't really expect a crazy amount of games as a result of that. Just some of the bigger ones that have either been leaked, or heavily hinted towards.

That said, apparently there are murmurings of additional post-Direct announcements throughout the day? You never know what to expect if that's the case, so, maybe we'll get some extra happy tidbits, who knows?
It's fascinating that I was not only correct about Monster Hunter being the core focus, but the idea that the Mini was a live presentation specifically because Monster Hunter was involved seems to have also been right on the money. Monster Hunter fans even get an entire Direct to themselves. Dang, man.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I know Rathalos was a boss in base, but still I believe it still shoots down Monster Hunter's chances. It would be kind of weird having Rathalos in the game for 2 years and than Monster Hunter finally showing up as a fighter after all that time.
How’s that any different from having a Spring Man assist trophy in the game for 2 years then getting Min Min?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, that was underwhelming... as usual from a partners direct.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps coming to Switch later today was a nice surprise. It's a solid Metroidvania that's definitely worth looking into. (the first game has a demo on the eShop, I believe)

A new Monster Hunter and Disgaea game are pretty big announcements, though I haven't really gotten into either series, so I'm not sure how big of a deal they are.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Okay so im not really paying much attention to the mh direct cuz i just aint really into it. So overall, i guess it was better than the other two but this being a livestream meant i couldn't fastforward anything which was a bit annoying. Nothing really mindblowing imo, fans of disgaea, mh and rune factory are probably losing their minds.

edit: I know we shouldnt be like "this character is getting a new game that means they will be in smash", but i feel like capcom and nintendo are REALLY going deep with Monster Hunter and a MH character in smash definitely seems like something they would do considering everything. Like a switch exclusive monster hunter(plus that second mh game, not sure if that was also an exclusive or what) is probably a REALLY big thing and i dont think this is the last we see of mh.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
my thoughts on the nintendo mini
Monster Hunter - very nice to those who enjoy the series.
Ori - interesting - the gamestyle/ gamyplay looks fluidity if thats a word - idk anyone play it? Is it any good?

The rest of the announcements in between Monster Hunter and Ori were meh.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Definitely the best Partner so far by a considerable amount. Also nice to see the dam has finally broken for 2021 Switch announcements.
The only game I’ve been interested out of any of these directs is Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, but they definitely made the biggest deal about this partner direct.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Definitely the meatiest of the Partner Showcases so far, seems their reasons for streaming it are likely due to MH getting its own little Direct at the end.

Nothing that particularly interests me but not bad at all.

Edit: OH NO MORE AMIIBO I HAVE TO BUY OH NOOOOO

Last edited:

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah idk. I’ve never even played a MH game but it seems more closely tied to Nintendo than DmC does.
Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney are more associated with Nintendo than Devil May Cry as pretty much all Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney games have been on Nintendo platforms. The entire Ace Attorney franchise was exclusive to Nintendo platforms for almost 2 decades until recently from what I can recall. Monster Hunter is Capcom's best selling franchise, but that doesn't mean they're going to go with Monster Hunter. Otherwise Microsoft would have gone with Steve instead Banjo & Kazooie because Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. Honestly, I think at this point the Capcom rep is either going to be Dante or Phoenix Wright and I hope it's the lawyer.

Paraster

Smash Lord
While I was out picking tomatoes in my garden, I realized that the best way I can describe it without spoilers or betraying anyone's trust is that Chief's rumored reveal is supposed to be a "capstone" of sorts. It's supposed to tie in like three or four announcements that no doubt would have been E3 announcements if not for COVID-19 and strongly makes me believe that it was meant to be "the Big Finale" of Nintendo's E3 2020. That said, those other announcements would need to happen first and probably wouldn't have the full impact if there was a significant time gap between them.
Given Ori's apparent connection to Microsoft (I'm not the most familiar with that series; correct me if I'm wrong), could the Will of the Wisps announcement have been one of the three or four that Chief could have capped off?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Here's the the most likely source, which also happens to be the source of the "Monster Hunter devs were unhappy about the Hunter being in MVCI" argument that people keep using...
Not ENTRIELY true. Let's be real here, we know they flat out REFUSED to let a Hunter into MVC3. The team made a proposal and the MH team didn't allow it. Why? Who knows, I've seen a few explanations. Maybe they don't like establishing a "standard" look for the Hunters Armor Set. Maybe they'd rather have the face of Monster Hunter be the actual MONSTERS than the Hunters themselves. Obviously they still let a Hunter into Marvel Infinite, but who knows how they feel about something like Smash. They did choose to put in Rathalos first after all.

Last edited:

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Monster Hunter actually looks interesting. I've tried demos of other titles, but I often found them too clunky to really get into. I've been wanting a good Metroidvania to sink my teeth into since I got through Hollow Knight, so Ori 2 looks great. So it's easily the best partner mini showcase we've seen so far.

Geno or any other first party/Smash/Mario announcements next week. The waiting continues.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, Rathalos is on the cover on almost all the games for pete sake. It makes sense they went over with a Rathalos boss instead of a playable Monster Hunter first. Rathalos and the monsters in general are more iconic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't care about any of the series they presented but I'm more excited about what this all means for my theorycraft:

-Ori rumors were true. Microsoft is still super buddy buddy with Nintendo.

-Capcom is releasing some pretty big ass exclusives on Switch. Further solidifies that one of the remaining 5 packs will likely be dedicated to Capcom.

-Nintendo gave third parties the go ahead to announce games up to summer 2021. Wouldn't be surprised if we started to see Nintendo's 2021 plans by November.

Yeah, yeah... "That's it, no Smash" but the timing of everything puts extra attention on next week even more so now that Nintendo dropped some pretty big megatons in this presentation.

Firox

Smash Master
Actually, I have the source right here.

While it doesn't mention Smash, they didn't want him in MvC and think the monsters are the best way to represent the series.
Ok, so the "Capcom doesn't want hunter in Smash" claim is a bit of an extrapolation based on the fact that they were apparently opposed to putting a hunter in MvC3. While this is a likely assumption, it still doesn't really debunk the fact that if Nintendo and Sakurai were to go to Capcom and say, "I want to put Hunter in Smash for this big bag of cash" that they would say no. Regardless, I suppose time will be our judge.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Actually, I have the source right here.

While it doesn't mention Smash, they didn't want him in MvC and think the monsters are the best way to represent the series.
That's true, they did veto a Monster Hunter character being in MVC3... but you specifically said...
The Monster Hunter devs said they don't want a Monster Hunter character as a Smash Fighter.
... so, if the Monster Hunter devs have said anything about specifically not wanting a playable Hunter in Smash... source?

Not ENTRIELY true. Let's be real here, we know they flat out REFUSED to let a Hunter into MVC3. The team made a proposal and the MH team didn't allow it. Why? Who knows, I've seen a few explanations. Maybe they don't like establishing a "standard" look for the Hunters Armor Set. Maybe they'd rather have the face of Monster Hunter be the actual MONSTERS than the Hunters themselves. Obviously they still let a Hunter into Marvel Infinite, but who knows how they feel about something like Smash. They did choose to put in Rathalos first after all.
The MVC3 veto happened back in 2010, and the Hunter appearing in Infinite was as recent as 2017-2018. I think the Monster Hunter devs have since softened their stance on the Hunter being in fighting games... and even if they haven't, a reminder that when we got a Dragon Quest character, Sakurai and the Smash devs were able to include not one, not just two, but four different Dragon Quest heroes as playable characters, something that was previously considered unthinkable due to how protective Square Enix is of Dragon Quest. If Sakurai and the Smash devs can pull that off, I doubt they'd have too much trouble getting a playable Hunter into Smash.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
IF we get another Capcom character at all, I can see it easily being Phoenix Wright. It's still a long shot to me. Capcom also doesn't even NEED to get a new character in Smash. Idk.

I think people look at Capcom way too much. Something tells me Nintendo and Sakurai would give us an off brand Dante like...say...Travis Touchdown instead. Why you ask? Just a feeling.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
As much as I would like a MH rep for Smash I feel like they would be way too close to Byleth to do their different weapons justice. Big heavy weapon attack, long range lance, quick dual sword attacks, a bow/gun for range. They even have a grappling hook.
True. They really should have just did a MH character instead and avoided all that backlash.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Oh wow, it's ****ing HADES.
Oh yeah,there's two new monster hunters of you like that.
Definitely not worth waking at 7 am if you don't care for monster hunter.
I guess it's not as bad as the last one.
No bayo 3 though :/
I really hate the our development partners line.
It's just publishing partners.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
That was actually pretty nifty lol. MH Rise looks amazing, Ori looks fun, and Empire of Sin is coming to Switch (still prolly only getting it for PC but still, it's cool)

Note to self: try to have book published before Rise comes out so I can enjoy the game lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we don't see FP7 by the end of October, I'm seriously doubting we will see FP7 in 2020 at all. God, I hate it when Jon from GameXplain makes negative predictions and they come true. I know he is gone, but he said something recently not too long ago along the lines of to not expect anything major from Nintendo until January at the earliest.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about any of the series they presented but I'm more excited about what this all means for my theorycraft:

-Ori rumors were true. Microsoft is still super buddy buddy with Nintendo.

-Capcom is releasing some pretty big ass exclusives on Switch. Further solidifies that one of the remaining 5 packs will likely be dedicated to Capcom.

-Nintendo gave third parties the go ahead to announce games up to summer 2021. Wouldn't be surprised if we started to see Nintendo's 2021 plans by November.

Yeah, yeah... "That's it, no Smash" but the timing of everything puts extra attention on next week even more so now that Nintendo dropped some pretty big megatons in this presentation.
And once again I’m hyped lmao

I’m already looking forward to Age of Calamity gameplay next week but if there’s a smash announcement as well imma lose it

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Ultimately, for someone like me, the Direct wasn't particularly to my tastes, but, I'd be willfully ignorant if I didn't acknowledge the fact that series like Monster Hunter, Disgaea, Rune Factory, and Ori are particularly huge deals, with a ton of fans that are seeing some cool stuff coming to a console like the Switch. Underwhelming for someone like me, who shares no real investment in the franchises put on the table, but, I cannot sit here and pretend that this Mini had nothing of value. This was one of the beefier showcases, make no mistake. I feel like, in terms of content and value, the Minis have been incrementally improving, and this was probably the best one of the lot thus far.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I enjoyed most of what I saw in that direct. New Disgaea, Rune Factory, Monster Hunter and Ori are great, Hades coming out soon will be fun, and I am actually fairly interested in Squares new 3d Platformer. Kinda sad we didn't get a Smash Announcement, but I doubt it'd have been in a partner direct mini and not a smash direct (Even though a Monster Hunter character would be fun).

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
IF we get another Capcom character at all, I can see it easily being Phoenix Wright. It's still a long shot to me. Capcom also doesn't even NEED to get a new character in Smash. Idk.

I think people look at Capcom way too much. Something tells me Nintendo and Sakurai would give us an off brand Dante like...say...Travis Touchdown instead. Why you ask? Just a feeling.
I really don't see Phoenix Wright happening at all. Have they even done much with him recently? Seems like they'd rather focus on promoting a more popular and current series.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I really don't see Phoenix Wright happening at all. Have they even done much with him recently? Seems like they'd rather focus on promoting a more popular and current series.
I can see why. Phoenix is just my personal insight. Not a single Capcom character seems likely at all to me tbh, but if I had to look at one series objectively. Ace Attorney seems like it'd bring the most to the table.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom