• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, that announcement. Considering the rumors, backing and stuff that is being talked about, we may get something.

As usual, I'll be neutral when it comes to the hype but you can bet I'll be crossing my fingers for hype announcements ala Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

Mario RPG remake/sequel, please?

Or maybe actually Geno?

Or both?

(And personally, a word on DOOM ETERNAL...)

:bowser: .

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
A reasonable expectation, I think, is likely something in regards to that Monster Hunter title that we're supposed to be seeing before TGS. As far as other announcements, I think Bayonetta 3 isn't too far off from a possibility, either. As far as anything else? I wouldn't expect the world, per se. A mini is a mini, after all. Anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes seems like a good estimate of what we'll see tomorrow, and I can't really expect a crazy amount of games as a result of that. Just some of the bigger ones that have either been leaked, or heavily hinted towards.

That said, apparently there are murmurings of additional post-Direct announcements throughout the day? You never know what to expect if that's the case, so, maybe we'll get some extra happy tidbits, who knows?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It's reaching but I'd like to think if the fighter were third party owned, it would technically count as a partner showcase.

Colors

Smash Rookie
Hello again!

Thank you, everyone, for welcoming me to the thread with open arms. I'm not experienced enough to quote anyone just yet, but I truly value the camaraderie here! And to the individual complimenting my username and profile image, thank you! My in-game names are always based around colors, but the more common ones were taken, so on a whim I gave 'Colors' a shot and it seems to have worked! Also, thank you to the individual who gave me a Geno Hat! I truly appreciate it! It actually inspired me to share a 3D Geno Hat with you all, but I'm still working on that.

Before I jump into the hot topic of the day (the Direct Mini: Partner Showcase tomorrow!) I just wanted to take a brief moment to tell you all how much I truly value the contents of this thread. It's no understatement when I say I love all the discussion points, all the memes, all the ominous twitter posts and, yes, I even love the arguments that take place here. The latter may seem like a bit of a red flag to some of you so please allow me to explain: I truly believe that people only argue about something they're truly passionate about it. We're all Smash fans here. We're all so passionate about the game, the DLC packs, and potential newcomers. It's true joy to share in this unbridled love with everyone here. When I see some light banter going on in here, I see the feelings of my heart reflected in every single one of you engaged in these heated discussions. It makes me happy that we all care so much about this game, and I sincerely hope everyone gets their most wanted and comes out feeling satisfied!

But alas, this is a Geno thread and the topic of the hour is the Direct Mini happening tomorrow! Aaaaaaa! Part of me would be incredibly thrilled to see a remake of Super Mario RPG announced tomorrow, but then another part of me is completely dreading it! As irrational as it sounds, I would personally feel like a reveal of such a game would hurt Geno's chances. Again, I know it's irrational. It could very well boost his chances, I just feel like it there's an unspoken hierarchy everything needs to fall in. In my mind's eye, I imagine a Geno Smash reveal first, and then the remake announced second. Alternatively, SMRPG could be announced tomorrow, and then Geno's announcement could be disguised as revealing more footage for the game down the line? There's so many possibilities. There's one thing I'm sure of though, and that's the fact that I'm unbelievably hyped. September appears to the month of shadowdrops! Week after week, we just keep getting them. I can't help but feel like there will be something next week as well. It feels like Nintendo set a hype train in motion, and you would think they would just set the brakes after every new reveal, but they've been continuously sharing new, varied content every week. It feels like the brakes should be rewritten as broken since the announcements aren't stopping yet. I'm rambling at this point, but I'm truly excited for tomorrow's reveals.

Honestly, it feels a little weird. It feels like, if a SMRPG remake was announced at any point, it feels like I could learn to love and forgive the Paper Mario series again. That would be the perfect indicator to me that Nintendo hears our cries about wanting a more traditional RPG. Combined with older fans' insatiable love towards Geno, well, a SMRPG remake almost sounds like a corny love letter, a sheer force of good will that can chip away & break down the sturdy walls built around someone's heart.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hello again!

Thank you, everyone, for welcoming me to the thread with open arms. I'm not experienced enough to quote anyone just yet, but I truly value the camaraderie here! And to the individual complimenting my username and profile image, thank you! My in-game names are always based around colors, but the more common ones were taken, so on a whim I gave 'Colors' a shot and it seems to have worked! Also, thank you to the individual who gave me a Geno Hat! I truly appreciate it! It actually inspired me to share a 3D Geno Hat with you all, but I'm still working on that.

Before I jump into the hot topic of the day (the Direct Mini: Partner Showcase tomorrow!) I just wanted to take a brief moment to tell you all how much I truly value the contents of this thread. It's no understatement when I say I love all the discussion points, all the memes, all the ominous twitter posts and, yes, I even love the arguments that take place here. The latter may seem like a bit of a red flag to some of you so please allow me to explain: I truly believe that people only argue about something they're truly passionate about it. We're all Smash fans here. We're all so passionate about the game, the DLC packs, and potential newcomers. It's true joy to share in this unbridled love with everyone here. When I see some light banter going on in here, I see the feelings of my heart reflected in every single one of you engaged in these heated discussions. It makes me happy that we all care so much about this game, and I sincerely hope everyone gets their most wanted and comes out feeling satisfied!

But alas, this is a Geno thread and the topic of the hour is the Direct Mini happening tomorrow! Aaaaaaa! Part of me would be incredibly thrilled to see a remake of Super Mario RPG announced tomorrow, but then another part of me is completely dreading it! As irrational as it sounds, I would personally feel like a reveal of such a game would hurt Geno's chances. Again, I know it's irrational. It could very well boost his chances, I just feel like it there's an unspoken hierarchy everything needs to fall in. In my mind's eye, I imagine a Geno Smash reveal first, and then the remake announced second. Alternatively, SMRPG could be announced tomorrow, and then Geno's announcement could be disguised as revealing more footage for the game down the line? There's so many possibilities. There's one thing I'm sure of though, and that's the fact that I'm unbelievably hyped. September appears to the month of shadowdrops! Week after week, we just keep getting them. I can't help but feel like there will be something next week as well. It feels like Nintendo set a hype train in motion, and you would think they would just set the brakes after every new reveal, but they've been continuously sharing new, varied content every week. It feels like the brakes should be rewritten as broken since the announcements aren't stopping yet. I'm rambling at this point, but I'm truly excited for tomorrow's reveals.

Honestly, it feels a little weird. It feels like, if a SMRPG remake was announced at any point, it feels like I could learn to love and forgive the Paper Mario series again. That would be the perfect indicator to me that Nintendo hears our cries about wanting a more traditional RPG. Combined with older fans' insatiable love towards Geno, well, a SMRPG remake almost sounds like a corny love letter, a sheer force of good will that can chip away & break down the sturdy walls built around someone's heart.
Welcome! I appreciate this heartfelt message. Even though from the bottom of my heart I would want both an SMRPG remake and Geno in Smash, I know we probably won't get both, and an SMRPG remake sounds like the biggest pipe dream to me. But hey, we can still remain hopeful no matter how unlikely it is! Geno has been widely considered to be an unlikely character for years until now, where he actually may be the runner up for who CP7 is, so their is still hope!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hello again!

Welcome to Smashboards

To quote people,

49846C35-37F4-4616-A7C2-9FD9E232798C.jpeg

To Multi-quote, click + Quote next to Reply

54A60A2D-1E46-4F3D-ADA6-C2901AA6E043.jpeg

then...

63FC3EA8-150F-4D16-B858-EA3AAEA8AE7D.jpeg

This will bring up a new window asking you if you want to quote these messages. If so, then hit “Quote Message”. This will add more than one reply to your post. Please remember to use the Edit feature if you want to add something else but no one has replied after your earlier post. Double posting is against the rules. Feel free to ask if you need any help.

As for this upcoming Mini, I don’t have much hope for anything of note being shown off and I’m still betting on getting F7 in October. While I am a supporter of Sora, 2B, and low key Chrono, getting Geno would be the perfect fit for Vol 2. Personally though, I’m more so interested in seeing the stage and the spirits that’s included. The music would also be a huge plus for me.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You have been officially calibrated by Garrus Vakarian, feel proud, not everyone has that privilege.

On a serious note, I said it already on the Isaac thread, but I really don't wanna have expectations for tomorrow. The partner showcases have been super disappointing overall, just having one good announcement title in them at best. Thank god they were just uploaded and skippable, but in this case it's gonna be live streamed so I do hope they fill it this time with stuff the majority actually can get behind… The way it was announced this time compared to previous showcases + Imran hyping it up as a good day for gaming alongside today's PS5 event really makes me wonder if the Monster Hunter game that shinobi said would be revealed before TGS isn't gonna be the only great thing… but for now I'm just gonna expect MH, I don't wanna get burnt expecting anything from partner showcases, lol

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Oh I guess we could get a Bravely Default 2 delay notice / trailer with 2021 window, cause I heavily doubt that's gonna be 2020 anymore, it would have gotten a date already if it was like that imo…

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
An excerpt from Nintendo's Fiscal Year Ending March 2021: Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

Page 53:
"We have covered three main topics in today's presentation. First, the trust relationship we have worked to build with consumers across multiple hardware generations is a key contributor to our ongoing business. Therefore, as we develop sustainable business models, it is important that we continue living up to consumers' expectations of Nintendo and maintain their trust."

Page 56:
"Finally, we have one more announcement to make. We will air the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase, September 2020, which introduces titles from our development and publishing partners, at 11 p.m. on September 17 (JST)."

Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200916e.pdf

Enjoy ladies and gentlemen. :denzel:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You have been officially calibrated by Garrus Vakarian, feel proud, not everyone has that privilege.

On a serious note, I said it already on the Isaac thread, but I really don't wanna have expectations for tomorrow. The partner showcases have been super disappointing overall, just having one good announcement title in them at best. Thank god they were just uploaded and skippable, but in this case it's gonna be live streamed so I do hope they fill it this time with stuff the majority actually can get behind… The way it was announced this time compared to previous showcases + Imran hyping it up as a good day for gaming alongside today's PS5 event really makes me wonder if the Monster Hunter game that shinobi said would be revealed before TGS isn't gonna be the only great thing… but for now I'm just gonna expect MH, I don't wanna get burnt expecting anything from partner showcases, lol
Based on how the previous Partner Showcases went, the most I'm expecting out of this one is...
  • Maybe a Monster Hunter for Switch announcement (but not guaranteed)
  • ... and some smaller games and DLC that you may or may not care about
... which would be disappointing and continue the trend of these Partner Showcases just being "the regular Direct sizzle reel made into its own thing". Again, it's sad because these Partner Showcases have the potential to be pretty cool. Imagine if we ended up getting this...
  • Big New Switch game announcement #1 (example: the rumored Monster Hunter Switch game)
  • Big New Switch game announcement #2 (example: the rumored Super Mario RPG remake)
  • Switch port announcement #1 (example: Nier: Automata)
  • Switch port announcement #2 (example: Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection)
  • News update on a pre-existing Switch game (example: Bayonetta 3 or Doom Eternal)
  • ... and some smaller games and DLC that you may or may not care about
  • 20-25 minutes of content overall
... this should be the bare minimum for a Partner Showcase to be considered good. Admittedly, the insiders hinting at there being some surprises there implies we might be getting something like that, but for now, I'm not getting my hopes up.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Like I've brought up before I'm still trying to figure out what Nintendo gains from splitting these announcements up in 20 different ways instead of just doing one big presentation. I mean, we're almost certainly getting Monster Hunter tomorrow alongside some other (cool?) stuff if all this teasing is anything to go by. Combine that with the last two partner showcases and all the Nintendo news over the last 2 months and we have 2 BIG third party announcements in MH and SMTV, a bunch of smaller third party announcements, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors, and all the Mario stuff, plus Smash I guess given we have to be close to that too (right?). That's a good, satisfying direct, and don't pull the "they can't because covid" card because they're clearly capable of holding all these smaller presentations, I'm sure anyone with a decent grasp on Adobe Premiere could edit all of these different announcements and showcases into one solid direct pretty easily. What IS the gameplan here?

QQS

Smash Lord
People, I respect all opinions but if you ask me what do I prefer between:

a) Geno for Smash (with SMRPG to NSO)
b) SMRPG remake
c) SMRPG sequel

Given that Smash is my favorite game in life since I was 9 years with Smash 64 in 1999 and given that I played as Geno as 6 years in 1996, I say without hesitation Geno Playable in Smash 10000% over the other options. That’s my only and last dream. Geno as a fighter in my favorite game. Which is happening for me. Now if we can have also Sequel or Remake, please welcome of course!

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
An excerpt from Nintendo's Fiscal Year Ending March 2021: Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

Page 53:
"We have covered three main topics in today's presentation. First, the trust relationship we have worked to build with consumers across multiple hardware generations is a key contributor to our ongoing business. Therefore, as we develop sustainable business models, it is important that we continue living up to consumers' expectations of Nintendo and maintain their trust."

Page 56:
"Finally, we have one more announcement to make. We will air the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase, September 2020, which introduces titles from our development and publishing partners, at 11 p.m. on September 17 (JST)."

Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200916e.pdf

Enjoy ladies and gentlemen. :denzel:
First paragraph is interesting.
The second paragraph....not so much.
That same our development and pubkishing partners line WAS said in the first partner direct. Don't get too hyped on that line.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yeah i really wanna see why would Imran hype this up alongside the PS5 event as "great gaming news" or however he phrased it, it better not be just MH…
Yea, if its just MH, its big news, but its also spoiled at this point, so that takes away the hype of this event.

Its like the Mario Collection: literally everything was discussed about it except Nintendo officially confirming, so when they did,, it was less 'What a surprise!' and instead more 'Well its about time, Nintendo!'

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Colors Colors A warm welcome to you, I'm glad you're here!

Just wanted to gauge some opinions here: What are the odds tomorrow's direct will yield nothing too interesting and we'll all conclude with a unanimous "meh"?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Colors Colors A warm welcome to you, I'm glad you're here!

Just wanted to gauge some opinions here: What are the odds tomorrow's direct will yield nothing too interesting and we'll all conclude with a unanimous "meh"?
My personal opinion: pretty likely. I think that this Partner Showcase will be no better than the previous ones, with the possible exception of a potential Switch-exclusive Monster Hunter game (emphasis on "possible", since we might not even get that).

If I'm wrong and we get more than that (which insiders seem to be implying will be the case), I'll happily take the L, but the way Nintendo has handled these has not given me any confidence.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
If this post on the smashboards blog is correct, Joker and Hero Amiibo support is already in Smash Ultimate. There will be no need for an update before the release of the amiibo wave to support the new ones.

If true, I'm afraid it's very bad news. It means that Sakurai's team knew in advance the next fighter would not be ready for release before the Amiibo wave, so they prepared an update more than a month in advance to add the Amiibo support. This means, of course, Fighter #77 is not going to be released before the Amiibo wave. It will come sometime well after that wave.

Basically, buckle in because we're not seeing that fighter until October at the earliest. My money is on November.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If this post on the smashboards blog is correct, Joker and Hero Amiibo support is already in Smash Ultimate. There will be no need for an update before the release of the amiibo wave to support the new ones.

If true, I'm afraid it's very bad news. It means that Sakurai's team knew in advance the next fighter would not be ready for release before the Amiibo wave, so they prepared an update more than a month in advance to add the Amiibo support. This means, of course, Fighter #77 is not going to be released before the Amiibo wave. It will come sometime well after that wave.

Basically, buckle in because we're not seeing that fighter until October at the earliest. My money is on November.
Fighter 7 feels like it's simultaneously getting both closer and farther away.

If this is true, then at this rate, Nintendo and Sakurai might as well just throw out that December 2021 deadline, cause the likelihood of going past that deadline into 2022 is getting higher and higher.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Assuming that amiibo update was put in earlier and the amiibo theory is dead:

Wonderful marketing: reveal a product and then more than a year later only show 1/6th of it. Glad I didn't buy the pass.

And yes yes, the old 'Virus delays!' Yes, that is a valid issue and important to keep in mind with the flow of work. But most people just want to know who the next character is, not screaming to play as them. Basically, what is stopping them from SHOWING number 7? They did it with other characters. What's so special about 7 that they have to keep silent until some God forsaken 'perfect' moment?

D

Deleted member

Fighter 7 feels like it's simultaneously getting both closer and farther away.

If this is true, then at this rate, Nintendo and Sakurai might as well just throw out that December 2021 deadline, cause the likelihood of going past that deadline into 2022 is getting higher and higher.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo isn’t really in a hurry to simply announce new fighters. The virus isn’t really a legit reason to reveal NOT release but reveal only 1 fighter in this pass so far. Sakurai and his team work on multiple characters at a time and they said progress is going fine working from home. We would of known who 7 is back at E3 and yet we still don’t know. I wouldn’t even care that they shadowdrop the announcements like they did to other major announcements. Nintendo sucks at handling DLC. If leakers came out, Nintendo should be glad they did their job for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

This is a little misleading. Amiibo theory has never had ANYTHING to do with updates needing to happen BECAUSE of them needing amiibo support. For example, we never had an update specifically to add support for the Pichu, Isabelle and Pokemon Trainer, and the latest update before their release was almost 2 months before in 3.10, which added the VR support, meaning the support was in the game 2 months in advance. Despite that, Hero still released only 4 days after the amiibo dropped.

Besides, if Amiibo theory was based on needing updates, characters would never release after the amiibo, which has happened for half the characters so far. All amiibo theory says is that characters tend to release near new amiibo. It's been consistent for 6/7 DLC characters so far, the only one it hasn't had no amiibo releasing near them at all, and there's no real reason not to expect the pattern to continue here. I WOULD say it means the release of the character isn't going to happen at this point until after the amiibo drop, but we already knew that since they drop on the 25th and characters seem to be getting atleast a week between Sakurai Presentation and release now.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
People, I respect all opinions but if you ask me what do I prefer between:

a) Geno for Smash (with SMRPG to NSO)
b) SMRPG remake
c) SMRPG sequel

Given that Smash is my favorite game in life since I was 9 years with Smash 64 in 1999 and given that I played as Geno as 6 years in 1996, I say without hesitation Geno Playable in Smash 10000% over the other options. That’s my only and last dream. Geno as a fighter in my favorite game. Which is happening for me. Now if we can have also Sequel or Remake, please welcome of course!
If they did an SMRPG remake like FF7 Remake, then remake, hands down. There’s no way they’d do that but it’d be top option. Then sequel, then Smash+NSO last. It’d all be good but that’s my preferred choice order.

QQS

Smash Lord
Calm down people, I think fighter #7 and most probably, Geno, will be revealed during from Monday 21 to Friday 25 of September. I’m starting to decline on the double reveal of Geno and Crash at once. But I believe 100% Geno is #7 and Crash is #8 in different videos, probably with a longer gap of time due to this situation.

There is no chance in hell that Geno is not coming playable this time. Still so obvious for me. Not because just my faith, but also facts and timing of the stuff happened.

If you don’t believe me and wanna have a little extra faith, go check ForsakenM ForsakenM TIMING POST, specially part 4 when he explains how the things happened.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ESSAY is algo good.

GENO FOLLOWS SMASH ROUTE!

Heoj

Smash Ace
Calm down people, I think fighter #7 and most probably, Geno, will be revealed during from Monday 21 to Friday 25 of September. I’m starting to decline on the double reveal of Geno and Crash at once. But I believe 100% Geno is #7 and Crash is #8 in different videos, probably with a longer gap of time due to this situation.

There is no chance in hell that Geno is not coming playable this time. Still so obvious for me. Not because just my faith, but also facts and timing of the stuff happened.

If you don’t believe me and wanna have a little extra faith, go check ForsakenM ForsakenM TIMING POST, specially part 4 when he explains how the things happened.

I mean like... I really value your optimism but like... at least in my opinion, we definitely aint seeing fp7 this month and well be lucky if we see it in october

Griselda

Smash Lord

I think if anyone could will a character into Smash through optimism alone, it'd be you.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I see zero reason to go into doomposting mode. We've had major Nintendo news every week this month and I don't see that not continuing to next week. All the amiibo support being added in 8.1 means is they don't have an update planned before the 25th, which is literally the end of next week. The character could drop anytime after that then and could be announced before then as well for a release later. Seriously, chill out people.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Today in Square Enix news, this apparently leaked:

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were sold as a physical combo in Asia but apparently Larry the inept intern struck again and it's going to be announced internationally soon. Man, Square Enix is really dedicated to putting out PHYSICAL VERSIONS of their CLASSIC GAMES on the NINTENDO SWITCH HOME VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, isn't it?
Huh? I thought this was international.
The store downtown where I live has been selling this for I don't know how many months now.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman

If Geno is #7 and Crash is #8, do you think there’s a chance we’ll see Crash at the Game Awards? He feels like a Game Awards worthy character to me.

QQS

Smash Lord
If Geno is #7 and Crash is #8, do you think there’s a chance we’ll see Crash at the Game Awards? He feels like a Game Awards worthy character to me.
Would be epic yes, Crash is a must!

I just firmly believe it’s a matter of when about Geno. I didn’t tell you all before but I work at Square Eniqqs and I know Geno is a fighter.

:3

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I see zero reason to go into doomposting mode.
On the contrary, I see plenty of reason to start doomposting.

...:4pacman:
Though speaking of Doom, I wonder if there's any Geno fan art where, instead of the cartoonish Mario proportions he usually has, he's instead depicted with realistic human proportions like a comic book character (like Doctor Doom above, but with a blue cloak/cape and made of wood instead of metal).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom