• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Nintendo: "For this partner direct, we wanted to unveil an epic collaboration between us and a very old partner of ours. Back then, they were known only as Square. Together, we forged a fresh new take on the world of Mario like no one had ever seen before. New friends. New enemies. New dimensions. The first of many Mario role-playing games to come, though none would ever quite capture the same magic and charm of this particular entry. More than 20 years have passed, but even today, the love and admiration fans have for the game continues to live on. That's why, coming in 2021, we eagerly present to you the second collaboration between Nintendo and Square: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars REMAKE for Nintendo Switch! Please look forward to more information in the coming months..."

(Screen fades to black....then the Smash crossbars cut across the screen....the trailer opens to a dark forest...a mysterious figure rains arrows down on Mario, Peach and Bowser. Each of them get struck one by one, becoming paralyzed. Mario watches helplessly as Darkon controlled puppets descend to attack...then a new mysterious figure blasts them away...the smoke clears....)

GENO BLASTS FROM PAST!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
We 100000% already know Monster Hunter Switch (which alone warrants a livestream, high fanfare and heavy marketing) is there lol, this isn't a big mystery
That still wouldn't be enough to justify a mini direct on its own, let alone streaming it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In other news, the key points from yesterday's Nintendo investor meeting were translated into English and Nintendo itself basically confirms that their key strategy until 2023 is to hardcore expand on their existing IPs with home console games being the core focus:

maxresdefault (2).jpg

LOOK GUYS, LOOK! GUYS! LOOK, DAMNIT, LOOOOOOOOK!!!

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo: "For this partner direct, we wanted to unveil an epic collaboration between us and a very old partner of ours. Back then, they were known only as Square. Together, we forged a fresh new take on the world of Mario like no one had ever seen before. New friends. New enemies. New dimensions. The first of many Mario role-playing games to come, though none would ever quite capture the same magic and charm of this particular entry. More than 20 years have passed, but even today, the love and admiration fans have for the game continues to live on. That's why, coming in 2021, we eagerly present to you the second collaboration between Nintendo and Square: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Star REMAKE for Nintendo Switch! Please look forward to more information in the coming months..."

(Screen fades to black....then the Smash crossbars cut across the screen....the trailer opens to a dark forest...a mysterious figure rains arrows down on Mario, Peach and Bowser. Each of them get struck one by one, becoming paralyzed. Mario watches helplessly as Darkon controlled puppets descend to attack...then a new mysterious figure blasts them away...the smoke clears....)

GENO BLASTS FROM PAST!
Bro I would legit cry, but it just feels too good to be true 😔

Noipoi

Howdy!
In other news, the key points from yesterday's Nintendo investor meeting were translated into English and Nintendo itself basically confirms that their key strategy until 2023 is to hardcore expand on their existing IPs with home console games being the core focus:

View attachment 285771

Okay where the hell is that Wario from? I gotta know.

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 285771

This is basically the cherry on top of all the research and stuff you've heard for the past year or so

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Well, um... You see... Excuse me a moment...

"Of course."

View attachment 285751

(Yawn) What a day. It's 10am and I'm pooped.

"Yes, waiting for Smash news has been exhaust...Good Lord what's happening on Thursday?!?"

A hype worthy Partner Direct?

"A... a hype worthy Partner Direct? At this time of year, at that time of day, being hyped by all the same insiders that hyped the last two?!?"

Yes!

"...can I know how long it is?"

No.
"Seymour, the SmashBoards' on fire!"

"No, mother, it's just casual speculation."

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
lol nah, they have a guy in a parachute jump from a plane, and then he lands on a target and whatever date he lands on, they shadow drop it then
This ritual is also where most of the money for the marketing department goes. That's why they're being so slow to announce stuff.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Compare this to Plant, Inceniroar, and Byleth who people still actively complain about with the first two being hardly used by anyone and Byleth seemingly being used as a pocket more than anything else. Hell, look at all the people who STILL complain about characters like Wii Fit and Ice Climbers getting added and why I'm perpetually incredulous when people say they want curve balls but will literally complain for years following their addition to Smash.
This is a LIE. "Actively" the ass: Plant and Incineroar are very much used a lot thank you very much, as my experiences online, and seing many discords, sites, subreddits and etc have proven to me, so your lie feels flat, in fact all ultimate unique newcomers have more than one massive discord each at least, the use of characters this game is great despite the roster being so big. And I havent seen anyone complain about Wii Fit and Ice Climbers nor about the other two in years now... except you right now. So dont you dare make **** up and lie about characters you never knew in a game you dont play as your post proved right there. We can support any future character we want without being forced to **** in others malicously that we like too just because its not who you decided on.

To not be offtopic, I'd love if the character pack was representative of mario rpgs as a whole (like a big music pack like snk one)

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Looks like the next online tournament is 1-on-1 with fighters who don't use projectiles.

Clever of that Sakurai, trying to weave us all off of projectiles knowing that Geno is likely going to have some zoning capability :geno:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
This is a LIE. "Actively" the ass: Plant and Incineroar are very much used a lot thank you very much, as my experiences online, and seing many discords, sites, subreddits and etc have proven to me, so your lie feels flat, in fact all ultimate unique newcomers have more than one massive discord each at least, the use of characters this game is great despite the roster being so big. And I havent seen anyone complain about Wii Fit and Ice Climbers nor about the other two in years now... except you right now. So dont you dare make ** up and lie about characters you never knew in a game you dont play as your post proved right there. We can support any future character we want without being forced to ** in others malicously that we like too just because its not who you decided on.

To not be offtopic, I'd love if the character pack was representative of mario rpgs as a whole (like a big music pack like snk one)
Ummmm you are making just as many ignorant comments. You don’t know how often fatman plays. I have to say - I play Smash online a lot and the only character I see (out of the ones mentioned) is Byleth. Maybe fatman’s information was anecdotal to his experiences, and that’s fine. That’s all you have to say.

Also - kinda torn that this was just a baiting post? But maybe not? Someone wanna verify for me?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
You know, we never DID rule out a Monster Hunter character did we. I've been leaning more towards Dante as the seemingly inevitable Capcom rep but it's not like Monster Hunter doesn't have plenty going for it.
  • Giant Franchise, both in Japan for many years and worldwide with World (huh). Literally the best selling Capcom game ever.
  • Supposedly has a new (mainline?) Switch game coming soon, according to people like Shinobi
  • Mii Costumes are still missing, despite Rathalos being a boss in the main-game. If it's a point for Geno, I don't see why it isn't a point for them (less strongly since Geno has the whole "No returning costumes with Square despite being a Square character" deal, but still)
Really the only thing pointing against it is the fact the Monster Hunter team seems kinda conflicted about wanting the Hunters in fighting games, and flat out refused to let a Hunter in MVC3, but they let the armor sets show up in Smash and did let the Hunter in Infinite so who knows. If Nintendo wanted it, they'd probably get it. At the very least I'd argue they have as much going for them as Dante does.
If I had to pick either Dante or a MH character, Dante would my choice. I only played a Switch demo of a MH game (I didn't like it), but I see the main appeal of MH being the monsters themselves. I assume that's why Rathalos is a boss but there was no character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is a LIE. "Actively" the ass: Plant and Incineroar are very much used a lot thank you very much, as my experiences online, and seing many discords, sites, subreddits and etc have proven to me, so your lie feels flat, in fact all ultimate unique newcomers have more than one massive discord each at least, the use of characters this game is great despite the roster being so big. And I havent seen anyone complain about Wii Fit and Ice Climbers nor about the other two in years now... except you right now. So dont you dare make ** up and lie about characters you never knew in a game you dont play as your post proved right there. We can support any future character we want without being forced to ** in others malicously that we like too just because its not who you decided on.

My guy...I literally main Wii Fit and she was one of my favorite Smash reveals ever. I only dropped a single tournament in my area as Wii Fit and it was a doubles. I won the only in person Ultimate tournament I've attended so far as Wii Fit. I've been a subscriber to the Wii Fit Smash Encyclopedia Youtube channel for years. This all is exceedingly easy to look up. Aside from that, Ice Climbers were among my most wanted veterans to return for Smash 4 and Ultimate and you can find posts dating back to 2013 to prove this.

Yes, people still actively whine about these characters. I was practically pushed out of my own venue because people hated my Wii Fit so much. Also on the Discord and YouTube channels I commonly frequent people whine about these characters too. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, welcome to the Geno thread, I guess. Help yourself to the beer in the fridge.

Firox

Smash Master
Ummmm you are making just as many ignorant comments. You don’t know how often fatman plays. I have to say - I play Smash online a lot and the only character I see (out of the ones mentioned) is Byleth. Maybe fatman’s information was anecdotal to his experiences, and that’s fine. That’s all you have to say.

Also - kinda torn that this was just a baiting post? But maybe not? Someone wanna verify for me?
As someone who plays a TON online (of every mode, not just QP) I can tell you that there are a LOT of people that play both Incineroar and Byleth. In fact, Byleth is one of the most commonly picked characters next to (in no particular order) Ness, Lucas, Banjo-Kazooie, Capt Falcon, DK, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Samus, Link, Zelda, Cloud and Joker. Incineroar is a little less common that the aforementioned characters but still shows up at least once with almost every 32-man tournament. I'd say Plant is the rarest of the three but is still more common than characters like Olimar, Duck Hunt or Metaknight. As a Greninja main, I can tell you that Byleth and Incineroar are much more common to see than the frog. Greninja's are actually kind of rare, and good ones are even more so.

My credentials are: 1000+ QP matches
546 1v1 Tournaments
648 Arena matches
(Disclaimer: I can't speak for FFA matches or tournaments because I avoid them like the plague)
(Yes, I probably have way too much free time)

In my personal experience, both Incineroar and Byleth are still regarded as heavily shilly, but people have mostly come to respect their power and accept them. Plant, on the other hand, is still very controversial as a character, however, as a fighter, people have mostly gotten over it and moved on. I feel the Plant has mostly been forgotten by the masses due to its general lack of fanbase and competitive potential.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
devil may cry 5 special edition just announced for playstation 5, it dosn't seem to be an exclusive
aparently the game has 120 fps, launches for $40
edit ps5 is nov 12
500 for normal
400 for digital only

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
FF 16 just revealed as PS5 exclusive. Will Switch get an exclusive game from Square as well?
It's console exclusive, also available on PC, as usual
Switch is getting Bravely Default II and probably The World Ends With You 2 so far

Pretty disappointing show, they didn't show any release windows/dates, not even launch titles

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I have never felt so bad for a person as I feel for Phil Spencer right now. Imagine betting your entire farm on Game-Pass being a fantastic value and your backwards compatibility over having exclusives, and then Sony dumps like 10 exclusives AND announces that Playstation Plus now comes with a metric TON of PS4 games at launch for no additional charge, instantly rivaling GamePass. Meanwhile the one game you planned to course correct your biggest franchise is a mess and had to be delayed an entire year, and you've already been the underdog with no real noteworthy games for an entire generation. Xbox just got BURIED and it's already in a 10 foot deep hole.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I have never felt so bad for a person as I feel for Phil Spencer right now. Imagine betting your entire farm on Game-Pass being a fantastic value over having exclusives, and then Sony dumps like 10 exclusives AND announces that Playstation Plus now comes with a metric TON of PS4 games at launch for no additional charge, instantly rivaling GamePass. Meanwhile the one game you planned to course correct your biggest franchise is a mess and had to be delayed an entire year, and you've already been the underdog with no real noteworthy games for an entire generation. Xbox just got BURIED and it's already in a 10 foot deep hole.
can't you also play a bunch of the game pass games on pc on top of that?
also demons souls is also on Pc so not a "true" ps5 exclusive

pinshadow

Smash Lord
can't you also play a bunch of the game pass games on pc on top of that?
also demons souls is also on Pc so not a "true" ps5 exclusive
IT IS? Huh. Thats weird given its a Sony published game but ok. ITS ALSO A LAUNCH TITLE APPARENTLY? Xbox's hole just got a few feet deeper.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
sweet! :O i hope we at least get an affirmed "yes its still happening, heres a trailer"
N I C E
I have never felt so bad for a person as I feel for Phil Spencer right now. Imagine betting your entire farm on Game-Pass being a fantastic value over having exclusives, and then Sony dumps like 10 exclusives AND announces that Playstation Plus now comes with a metric TON of PS4 games at launch for no additional charge, instantly rivaling GamePass. Meanwhile the one game you planned to course correct your biggest franchise is a mess and had to be delayed an entire year, and you've already been the underdog with no real noteworthy games for an entire generation. Xbox just got BURIED and it's already in a 10 foot deep hole.
XBOX is very squished, pc has pretty much the same games as xbox, the ps5 has exclusives and a nice game pass now, and the switch has enough exclusives to undercut the series s.
They really need to have some serious game exclusives now
.Is it the end? or will microsoft keep pumping money into a losing proposition?
I still wouldn´t count them out though.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
So, why should I be excited for Partner's Showcase 3: Return of Jafar again after today?

View attachment 285785
i mean you dont HAVE to be excited, almost everyone has their hopes way down low as its a "partner showcase" but pointing out that that this announcement of it seems off to all the others, as they were either shadow dropped or announced a few hours beforehand. so who knows at this point, in the end , it gives up something to watch ^^

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, why should I be excited for Partner's Showcase 3: Return of Jafar again after today?

View attachment 285785
Uh, actually, it's Partner Showcase 3 and The King of Thieves thank you very much. No offense but no duh a Partner Showcase is going to be smaller than what is effectively Sony performing a perfect Geno Whirl on Xbox. We're still going to see Monster Hunter, maybe even Bayonetta 3 if Kamiya retweeting it means anything. Don't go in expecting the world but there's room for some expectations man.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

View attachment 285771

What exactly is the significance of this if I may ask?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
All Nintendo has to compete with Sony's banger presentation today is another Partner Showcase..... yknow if Nintendo didn't brand these as Nintendo Direct Minis and instead made them their own thing people could almost definitely swallow it better.

1600291373466.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What exactly is the significance of this if I may ask?
Basically Nintendo told a metaphorical room full of the people that regularly invest huge sums of money in them that their key strategy until 2023 is to expand the appeal and influence of their existing IPs (characters, franchises, etc) by not only significantly expanding on merchandise and media based on them, but ultimately tying these into BRAND NEW GAMES. For example, relevant to your personal interests, this could mean stuff like Advance Wars shirts, comic books, and mobile games but the key purpose of this, according to Nintendo, is to get people attached to the actual games in the series. This is a HUGE deal and basically confirms what I've been hearing on my end since last summer: Nintendo not only wants to experiment with it's popular franchises but also wants to try to revive a ton of their less popular and even "dead" franchises.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Demons Souls also on PC, Miles Morales also on PS4, Sackboy also on PS4, Horizon Forbidden West also on PS4 (and PC later)
This thing's got no games. They're giving up on exclusives, going the way of Microsoft.
And PS Now is **** compared to Game Pass.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Demons Souls also on PC, Miles Morales also on PS4, Sackboy also on PS4, Horizon Forbidden West also on PS4 (and PC later)
This thing's got no games. They're giving up on exclusives, going the way of Microsoft.
And PS Now is **** compared to Game Pass.
We don't even know alot of the titles on PS Collection, and it's no additional charge. So it's half the price of Gamepass with already a good line-up to rival it,
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Battlefield 1
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Last Guardian
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Days Gone
  • Bloodborne
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Until Dawn
  • Resident Evil: Biohazard
I'm not really seeing a few titles being Crossgen as a negative, they're still Playstation exclusives. Fair enough that Demon Souls is on PC (are we POSITIVE this isn't a marketing error? they didn't say PC in the presentation like they did for the other games on PC, and it's a Sony published game.) but it's still not on Xbox. Seriously, if you want to talk "no-games", what the HELL does Xbox have?

EDIT: They privated the Demon Souls video, its a mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom