• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yes I truly believe the Direct announced at 3AM something is gonna be hypeworthy
The time of day of the announcement isn’t the point, the fact that it’s over 24 hours notice is.

And anyway, that was 5 pm for Japan so if anything it might just indicate that there will be some more Japan-centric games shown.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I mean we’ve been burned by these Partner Showcases before, I’d reign in the expectations myself, personally.

I’m expecting nothing more than a reveal of only one of the following: Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, or Bayonaise 3.

But will obviously be pleasantly surprised by SMRPG if it shows up. I’m just really not expecting it.
Bayonetta 3 please. SMRPG of course - any time.

Nintendo just announced a partner live stream in the middle of the night/morning/afternoon.

What a time we live in.

EDIT: It is also weird that there is no approximate time for this. Still expect only 8 minutes, but I would be down for 9 minutes of content! :4pacman:
They are going to break their own record! Watch it be 4:01 minutes long! :troll:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What are the chances we see a smash announcement in this partners direct.

Something big has got to be getting shown otherwise they wouldn’t have announced it in advance and they would’ve Shadow dropped it by now.

Either a huge game is gonna be announced or a smash reveal. Is it too far of a stretch to think a smash reveal could happen.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Something big has got to be getting shown otherwise they wouldn’t have announced it in advance and they would’ve Shadow dropped it by now.

Either a huge game is gonna be announced or a smash reveal. Is it too far of a stretch to think a smash reveal could happen.
With how unpredictable these direct announcements have more or less been, a Smash announcement in this partner's direct for all we know could happen or at least the announcement for when FP7's reveal/Sakurai Presents takes place

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Technically, technically,

Smash Ultimate, despite being a 1st-party game, is developed by Sora Ltd. with assistance from Namco Bandai, both of which are 3rd-party studios.

Cadence of Hyrule showed up in the first Partner Showcase, which is an indie-developed 1st-party game.

Obviously I know the chances are >.9%, but considering the fact that they’re even calling this a Mini Direct instead of just a Partner Showcase, and doing everything that Fatman just mentioned to make it high-vis and not spoiled, meaning there’s major announcement(s) incoming.

With the idea that Geno, is 7, was supposed to show up at E3 and probably be accompanied by the SMRPG Remake announcement (also technically a 1st-party game developed by a 3rd-party), there’s a chance, however utterly minuscule, that a billed and announced-in-advance Mini Partners Direct revealing SMRPG and Geno in Smash Ultimate afterwards - both of which are developed by 3rd-party “Partners” - could potentially happen.

Will it? Probably not, and again I’m just throwing out the hottest of takes, but the fact that Nintendo is making such a big deal out of this means that it’s, obviously, a big deal, so I’d rather shoot for the stars (within reason; again, Cadence of Hyrule is my anchor point to ground this within the realm of “it may be only 0.01% but it’s not actually 0%”) and then just go about my day when it doesn’t happen but still acknowledge the thought that it could.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Well, um... You see... Excuse me a moment...

"Of course."

View attachment 285751

(Yawn) What a day. It's 10am and I'm pooped.

"Yes, waiting for Smash news has been exhaust...Good Lord what's happening on Thursday?!?"

A hype worthy Partner Direct?

"A... a hype worthy Partner Direct? At this time of year, at that time of day, being hyped by all the same insiders that hyped the last two?!?"

Yes!

"...can I know how long it is?"

No.
This just made sense to me because i love steamed hams.

Attachments

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Going off my previous post, I'm optimistic because, while a lot of people have been upset about the content of most of the presentations since March, I've noticed that Nintendo is becoming smarter and more time efficient with their presentations. Like I noisily slapped my thighs about after the Nindie Direct, they crammed 24 games in 22 minutes, 18 still if for whatever reason you don't count the sizzle reel. With Mario, they did 6 games (two being collections so technically 11 games in all) in 10 minutes along with a ton of collab announcements. The August Partner basically had 12 games (one being a collection) in 10 minutes. Even the July partner showcase had 5 games in 7 minutes. Compare this to Directs in the past where Nintendo would wax poetic about a single game for 10-15 minutes and it's an enormous improvement. This said, even if the presentation ends up being 10 minutes, it's still likely to have a lot in it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
GenoIWonderWhenTheHappinessWillCome.png

God ****ing dammit, not again. Why the **** do they believe that cutting out all of the table scraps from a regular Direct and showing them all together in their own presentation is worth anyone's time? And now they're ****ing livestreaming these things? Are they actually that desparate for viewership that they're pretending these are the kinds of things worth getting up early in the morning for?

"Oh but Mike, surely it must be good! I mean, insiders are starting to hype this one up and everything!" Yeah, and the sun rises in the east, what the **** else is new? I don't know if you know this, but insiders are just as in the goddamn dark about this **** as we are these days. They have no ****ing clue what these presentations house until hours before they go live, all they've heard is that something good is allegedly coming soon, and much like Scott Bakula they're hoping that their next leap will be the leap home. But it never ****ing is, at least not with these presentations.

All of the good **** that's been announced this year from Nintendo (Your mileage may vary on this one) has been shadowdropped on twitter, what makes you think these presentations will have anything close to what you're hoping for? What, because it's being livestreamed as opposed to being plopped onto their YouTube channel with zero fanfare? We're currently 2 for 2 when it comes to these things being hot garbage and you're honestly trying to believe this next presentation will be the one to change all that? "But hey, we've gotten a few good announcements before, so they could actually announce something in this presentation that isn't ****." Because I guess announcing a rhythm game spinoff of an overly convoluted JRPG game totally makes up for the otherwise terribly bare offerings.

Now maybe I'm wrong here, and I honestly hope I am, and we'll end up getting some good **** to look forward to from all this, but I'm sure as hell not holding my breath on that front, and I'm sure as hell not waking up at the ass crack of dawn to set up my mic and OBS just to record my reaction to a bunch of random **** I don't give a **** about.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm annoyed that news Nintendo announced are vague, but it is better than nothing.
Screenshot_20200913-153228_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The time of day of the announcement isn’t the point, the fact that it’s over 24 hours notice is.

And anyway, that was 5 pm for Japan so if anything it might just indicate that there will be some more Japan-centric games shown.
I think this is important to note too because 5PM in Japan would predominantly be when people are either getting off work or on their commute home. It's honestly a sweet spot of the time of day that your average Japanese adult wouldn't be heavily distracted.

Noipoi

Howdy!
C40125D7-F63C-41B6-9A56-FA4A715A1308.jpeg

I’m actually not mad about this one, just because there wasn’t a week of insider’s hyping up a direct to end all directs beforehand.

After August I expected a partner showcase every month for the remainder of 2020, so I’m not surprised either.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
View attachment 285765
I’m actually not mad about this one, just because there wasn’t a week of insider’s hyping up a direct to end all directs beforehand.

After August I expected a partner showcase every month for the remainder of 2020, so I’m not surprised either.
Pretty much, I've been expecting one anyday now because of all the Monster Hunter rumors. The fact this is getting a decent bit of hype surrounding it from both Nintendo themselves and others, with a days warning and being livestreamed, not a video drop. They WANT people to see this, and while it could be for any number of reasons, I'd be lying if I said Smash WASN'T a plausible explanation (and I'm saying this as someone who only ever expects Smash in normal directs). 7 tying in with a seperate third party game announcement is something I think is entirely reasonable, let's see how stuff plays out.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Something to think about. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is a first party IP game being developed by a partner/third party (Koei Tecmo) and the story of said game is canon to the series. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is also a game of a first party IP that was developed by a partner/third party (Square Enix, back then Squaresoft), and albeit the story can be debated whether it's canon or not within the Super Mario universe, it sure as heck helped develop the personalities of many of the main Mario series characters (especially Peach, Bowser and some of his minions, the Chancellor, etc.).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The last time Nintendo gave a heads up for a livestream the day before was the Paper Mario showcase and the indy game reveal from Way Forward. And what was that result, like 17K people leaving the chat?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Man, I'm sorry. I can't be hyped about this Partner Direct when they announced it at THREE IN THE MORNING

I'm not even upset about it either, I don't have the energy to rant and rave when I've already accepted General Directs are dead for the foreseeable future. Honestly, I've started looking ahead to October for Smash. If Nintendo has historically avoided TGS, why would they announce anything this time?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Man, I'm sorry. I can't be hyped about this Partner Direct when they announced it at THREE IN THE MORNING

I'm not even upset about it either, I don't have the energy to rant and rave when I've already accepted General Directs are dead for the foreseeable future. Honestly, I've started looking ahead to October for Smash. If Nintendo has historically avoided TGS, why would they announce anything this time?
It was a Japan-time thing, it got announced at the end of their corporate meeting last night. Just the fact it got announced a day in advance and is getting livestreamed is enough for me. NoA even put out a second tweet this morning for it, I'm telling you it was just a Japan-time thing.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, I think the timing only really hints that what's revealed will be a big deal to Japanese Nintendo fans, which further gives credence to the Monster Hunter rumors given how portable MH is huge over there.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You know, we never DID rule out a Monster Hunter character did we. I've been leaning more towards Dante as the seemingly inevitable Capcom rep but it's not like Monster Hunter doesn't have plenty going for it.
  • Giant Franchise, both in Japan for many years and worldwide with World (huh). Literally the best selling Capcom game ever.
  • Supposedly has a new (mainline?) Switch game coming soon, according to people like Shinobi
  • Mii Costumes are still missing, despite Rathalos being a boss in the main-game. If it's a point for Geno, I don't see why it isn't a point for them (less strongly since Geno has the whole "No returning costumes with Square despite being a Square character" deal, but still)
Really the only thing pointing against it is the fact the Monster Hunter team seems kinda conflicted about wanting the Hunters in fighting games, and flat out refused to let a Hunter in MVC3, but they let the armor sets show up in Smash and did let the Hunter in Infinite so who knows. If Nintendo wanted it, they'd probably get it. At the very least I'd argue they have as much going for them as Dante does.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Waiting for Geno to come back, is like Linus expecting the Great Pumpkin to show up on Halloween.

Firox

Smash Master
So how long do you guys thing a "mini" Direct could be? What's the longest on record?

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Takes out vuvuzuelas, air horns, CUBE AMP with electric guitar, and megaphone

GENO BROS! ARE Y'ALL READY TO GET HYPED?!?!

silence

I SAID, GENO BROS! ARE Y'ALL READY TO GET HYPED?!?!?!?!?!?!

RichaadEB along with Jonny Atma come in shredding Forest Maze cover

Geno Bros: "YEEEEEEEEEAAAH!!!!!!!"
dont forget familyjules!

RetroBro

Smash Ace

Haven't they basically announced most partner showcases before?

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
The first was announced like 7 hours before the fact and the second was completely shadowdropped.
this IS really interesting, i wonder what could happen? im keeping my hopes way down, yknow, im thinking maybe a little news on bayo 3, that mass effect leak happened.. maybe fall guys? i have no idea.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
this IS really interesting, i wonder what could happen? im keeping my hopes way down, yknow, im thinking maybe a little news on bayo 3, that mass effect leak happened.. maybe fall guys? i have no idea.

Maybe they just have a marketing team that just spins a bottle around that determines shadowdrop, 8 hours before, 24 hours before.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they just have a marketing team that just spins a bottle around that determines shadowdrop, 8 hours before, 24 hours before.
lol nah, they have a guy in a parachute jump from a plane, and then he lands on a target and whatever date he lands on, they shadow drop it then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom