• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So, here's something a little interesting. I've been keeping track of all of the numbers assigned to each of the Spirit Events and Tournaments in the official in-game website...
...ever since they went all over the place in the few months surrounding Byleth's release. Nothing has really gone off track since then (aside from 2 Spirit Events in 2019 and One Tournament near Byleth I still can't quite explain) until tonight. The new tourney dropped as Number 30, with the last one 4 weeks ago being 28, meaning one was skipped over, which just so happens to coincide with the week we got no event 2 weeks ago. Meaning, yea, they did flat out skip over a Tourney that week. What does it mean? It could be a number of things. Generally when numbers get skipped over the events just happen out of order, sometimes weeks or even months later. But they don't hold no event for the week outright, again they just go out of order. Maybe it was tied to a character being released, and that DOES actually jive with the idea that Nintendo always holds a direct in early September since 2016 (and even this year with Mario) and they could have planned to do the same thing they did with Banjo last year, but at the same time wouldn't they have moved it since characters have obviously been pushed back, and not just leave a empty week? It's a really weird tidbit of information.
I would've thought that the Mario-themed tournament announced in the Mario Direct was meant to be the "tourney event" for that week, but if this is any indication, it wasn't... so was Fighter 7 meant to be revealed then?

Another one, and it's not even the end of the month... well, at least it's being dropped after Nintendo finally gave us some info on first-party games, so there's that.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
  • Me when I realized we probably aren't getting anymore news this week so the entire Nintendo discussion until at least Monday is going to revolve around Super Mario 3D All-Stars
View attachment 285726
I don't know when the hell it happened, but I am so sick of the modern Nintendo community at large these days, and one of the reasons I enjoy being in this thread so much is that it's NOT like it. This thread is generally chill, usually pretty reasonable, if a little quick to jump to conclusions sometimes, but all in all pretty positive to be in. The ridiculous takes I've seen surrounding this game (and certain OTHER Nintendo topics over the past year) are driving me up a goddamn wall and it's still three days away from even being out. I'll admit I heavily lean on the side of disliking Nintendo's decisions here but still, it's a MOOD with this stuff on both sides.
Well, guess I got my wish huh?
Nintendo:

Good News? Continues the trend with us getting a new Nintendo announcement every week this month. And with the spirit/tourney pattern pointing towards a tournament the last week of the month, that correlates with a reveal next week and a release+character tourney a week later. Here we go.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The saddest part, at least for me, is that I want to be more excited for these. In theory, a Direct mini that's dedicated to third-party stuff would be awesome, or at least pretty cool. You get some news on some long-absent games like Bayonetta 3 and Bravely Default II, plus some new cool stuff like a new Monster Hunter Switch game, some new Switch ports of games like Grand Theft Auto V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil VII, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Darksiders III...

... instead, you get a bunch of smaller games that you'd expect to see in the sizzle reel of a real Direct. I normally try to be optimistic for these kinds of events, but that first Partner Showcase left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm open to being surprised in a good way, but we'll see...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The saddest part, at least for me, is that I want to be more excited for these. In theory, a Direct mini that's dedicated to third-party stuff would be awesome, or at least pretty cool. You get some news on some long-absent games like Bayonetta 3 and Bravely Default II, plus some new cool stuff like a new Monster Hunter Switch game, some new Switch ports of games like Grand Theft Auto V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil VII, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Darksiders III...

... instead, you get a bunch of smaller games that you'd expect to see in the sizzle reel of a real Direct. I normally try to be optimistic for these kinds of events, but that first Partner Showcase left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm open to being surprised in a good way, but we'll see...
At the very least we can expect to see Monster Hunter here, that much seems pretty obvious. Everything else? Who knows.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well... I mean, not to be the guy I try not to listen to anymore but...………… a week after a partner showcase sometimes there's something real dropped right? and that lines up with the 24th date people have been speculating......………...
so maybe the 24th we get some smash info. I don't know. I'm over dates. But my life could use a little boost right now, gimme that good news Smash news.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
At the very least we can expect to see Monster Hunter here, that much seems pretty obvious. Everything else? Who knows.
Monster Hunter is actually something I'm not expecting to see. If long-awaited hype games like Bayonetta 3 and Doom Eternal aren't being shown off (again, despite a Partner Showcase being a good place to show them off), I've no hope for Monster Hunter making any sort of appearance, unless it's something small like a Switch port of Monster Hunter Stories.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Age of calamity news next week at TGS. I'm feeling they are gonna make smash fans wait the whole month at this point...again

Monster Hunter IS happening. Most likely why this is getting announced this time so far in advance.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Monster Hunter is actually something I'm not expecting to see. If long-awaited hype games like Bayonetta 3 and Doom Eternal aren't being shown off (again, despite a Partner Showcase being a good place to show them off), I've no hope for Monster Hunter making any sort of appearance, unless it's something small like a Switch port of Monster Hunter Stories.
I'm just going off what all the rumors are pointing to, pretty much everyone is saying Monster Hunter is going back to Nintendo and revealed before TGS next week, this is the best opportunity to show it.

I'm tired as hell right now so I just noticed that it's actually for tomorrow, not this morning, meaning the marketing team currently trapped in Nintendo's broom closet finally remembered that people like stuff getting announced ahead of time. More importantly, the marketing team remembered that LIVESTREAMING IS A THING, this isn't just a video drop. Something tells me this is going to be a little bigger than the last two if they actually seem to be caring about it a bit.

The tweet in question...
I'm curious... but I'm still keeping my expectations low.
Telling you guys, it's MH. Though the fact he seems to think multiple notable things are here is interesting.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

Griselda

Smash Lord
Can someone give me a recap on what exactly that guy's hinted at so far that hasn't yet happened?

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
I know I shouldn't be excited for anything ever, but the fact that this is livestreamed when the previous two (and a gotdamn Super Mario Direct) weren't does raise an eyebrow. Do Sora and Bamco count as "partner developers"?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I know I shouldn't be excited for anything ever, but the fact that this is livestreamed when the previous two (and a gotdamn Super Mario Direct) weren't does raise an eyebrow. Do Sora and Bamco count as "partner developers"?
No, atleast Smash doesn't count as a partner game or anything like that. Don't go in expecting Smash, be surprised on the slim chance we do see it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What will all of you do once Geno is revealed? Walk into the sunset? I'm sure you'll miss the speculation to some extent! I kinda do with K. Rool. It's certainly been a journey for you all.
Probably leave Smashboards and speculation all together. Ultimate already gave me 3 out of my 10 most wanted with K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie so after Geno get's in I'm done. There are other characters I want more than Geno like Goemon and Krystal, but this long *** drought and Covid have made me lost all my patience.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Bamco 100% counts, considering the Don-Chan collection that was anounced in the last direct. Sora technicaly counts as a partner developer since it's Sakurai's company and not directly owned or linked to Nintendo, but realisticaly it doesn't.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
We need somebody to leak FP7. So, who’s it gonna be? :ultpacman:
I'll do it!

Fighter 7 is Geno. His stage is Super Stache Smash from Mario & Luigi, and he brings a midi-remix of One Winged Angel and nothing else.

Coincidentally, I also have info on Fighter 8, who will be Sephiroth. His stage is based on Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, and he brings Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and nothing else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So has anyone's pre-order for Super Mario 3D All Stars from Amazon been cancelled yet? I ask because I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon and I'm worried they're going to cancel it.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581

In all fairness, the first partner showcase was pretty dang cool with SMT3 remastered and 5. That satisfied me. Personally, It was the second showcase that really upset me.

About this one, I'm actually pretty optimistic here. I mean, I know it's a million miles removed from the conventional realm of realism, but hey. I would regret not tuning in if Mario RPG got remade by some off chance or something at one of these. lol I mostly tune into these for the novelty of them honestly.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I've actually only ever watched a Nintendo video live like once or twice. Waking up to see what happened after it's already over is pretty normal, for me.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
There it is as expected. Was announced at the briefing.
It is 1000% going to have Monster Hunter.
The fact it's livestreamed says it all.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What will all of you do once Geno is revealed? Walk into the sunset? I'm sure you'll miss the speculation to some extent! I kinda do with K. Rool. It's certainly been a journey for you all.
I'll finally rest. And watch the sun rise on a grateful universe.

I'll probably keep speculating, though. I enjoy thinking of the possibilities for Smash, and it gives me a reason to look into series or games that I might not have played otherwise.

As for the Partner Showcase, I'm glad that they're announcing something, but after the last two, I'm assuming that this one isn't going to interest me much. (Prove me wrong, Nintendo...)

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
I expect this one to be much, much better than the previous ones, especially the last one. Livestreamed, no length announced, announced at an investors briefing 30+ hours in advance, inevitably going to announce a new Monster Hunter title and according to Jeff Grubb it should have at least a "handful of really pleasant surprises".
By the way, given the timing and Nintendo Dream's Monster Hunter history, it's been clear for a while now that's the surprise title the issue will have.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Geno is the Donald Trump of Smash.
  • Gets brought up often
  • Is incredibly controversial
  • Divides people almost exclusively along party lines
  • Debates between both sides tend to get ugly
  • We have yet to see both of them in the same room together
Prove me wrong. Pro tip: You can't.
No he's not, Geno's trying to fix the Star Road, not build walls.

Waluigi on the other hand...
Wall-Luigi_MSC.png

Quoted from the Super Mario Wiki:
"In Mario Strikers Charged, Waluigi is a defensive captain. His Super Ability is, Wall-Luigi!"

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

" I Know that 90% of the people hated the last 2 Partner Showcases but as they said...the third time lucky. This should be much better with Capcom, EA, Ubi, Atlus, S-E and more. Also... this time is not shadow dropped for a big reason. "

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
The thing that bothers me is not the wait for FP7, but more how stagnant the Switch's first party lineup has been this year. So far, the only first party games left for the year is Super Mario 3D All Stars (not only another set of ports, but one that's a pretty crappy deal), Pikmin 3 Deluxe (an enhanced port of a Wii U game), and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (the only one of the three to be a new game). Feels like the only major first party releases of the year that wasn't a remaster or a port were Animal Crossing and Ring Fit

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
The thing that bothers me is not the wait for FP7, but more how stagnant the Switch's first party lineup has been this year. So far, the only first party games left for the year is Super Mario 3D All Stars (not only another set of ports, but one that's a pretty crappy deal), Pikmin 3 Deluxe (an enhanced port of a Wii U game), and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (the only one of the three to be a new game). Feels like the only major first party releases of the year that wasn't a remaster or a port were Animal Crossing and Ring Fit
and the collection of 31 board games, if you count it as a game that is.
edit forgot about paper mario: origami king

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The fact that this is the first Partner Showcase they announced in advance, and it’s gonna be live-streamed, mean that Monster Hunter is like 95%-100% showing up. Beyond that, it’ll be interesting to see what else is in it, especially Grubb’s wildcard game

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
And what's worse is that Nintendo has gotten massive success this year. So they will see their profits and their current marketing methods (being silent, wishy washy with information, erratic Direct announcements, and only announcing things until they are literally out the door), assume they are related and continue it.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Bruh... like damn i feel so stupid. I just finished 4 or 5 hour long exam, fast forward until i get my phone and open up youtube and i see the japanese youtube account with a livestream for tomorrow that literally says "Nintendo Direct Mini" i check and it goes live on thursday and I realise its real. So now im losing my bananas thinking a normal direct mini is coming and my mind IMMEDIATELY goes to "holy sh!% were gonna get fp7!
Then i open up smashboards and find out its only a partner showcase...

mangenomeme.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom