• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Posted this on Star Road earlier but I figured I'd bring it here. This is an update of something I did before Byleth was announced. Basically we determined a long time ago that Sakurai and co typically work on three characters at any given time when it comes to DLC. We have a strong idea about this for several reasons:

-Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were all datamined in April 2015 and released together in June 2015.

-Three "Marios" were found in Smash 4's code shortly after E3 2015.

-Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo were all formally shown off together in the December 2015 Smash Presentation.

-Plant, Joker, and Hero were in Ultimate's code in December 2018.

-Sakurai sent out a message to Japanese fans on Twitter in December 2018 noting that the first three characters of the Fighter's Pass were being worked on. (Pushdustin tweeted about it but I can't the tweet and searching Twitter is a pain in the ass without an account)

Beyond this, there seems to be a sort of "cool down/polish" period where characters are presentable and only need minor debugging and other characters are more focused on. There also appears to be a period before a character starts official development. I usually refer to this as "greenlighting" but it's more like character concept creation and negotiating/working with the original character creators to determine how they will be in Smash. We have an idea on these for several reasons:

-December 2018, Sakurai mentioned that he was working on the first three characters of the Fighter's Pass. Strangely didn't mention Plant.

-Apparently Banjo was being worked on in some capacity in December 2018 but wasn't in the game's code yet.

-Of the ones Sakurai has openly confirmed, Banjo's presentation was recorded shortly after Hero's release (August 2019), Terry after Banjo's (September), Byleth after Terry (November), and Min Min in early May 2020.

So, with all this on the table, let's map out a theoretical timeline for Smash Ultimate's DLC:

November 2018: Plant, Joker (both already in the game's code), Hero (in concept creation stage). Sakurai publicly announces that all the characters in the Fighter's Pass have been chosen.

December 2018: Plant (polish stage), Joker, Hero, (all in the game's code) and Banjo (concept stage)

January 2019: Nintendo finds out about the DLC datamines and begins to heavily encrypt updates to prevent future leaks.

February 2019: Joker (polish stage), Hero, Banjo, Terry (concept stage)

April 2019: Hero (polish stage), Banjo, Terry, Byleth (concept stage)

June 2019: Hero is pushed back to July for unknown reasons.

July 2019: Banjo (polish stage), Terry, Byleth, Min Min (concept stage)

September 2019: Terry (polish stage), Byleth, Min Min, 7 (concept stage). Sakurai announces more characters will be coming after the Fighter's Pass.

November 2019: Byleth (polish stage) ,Min Min, 7, 8 (concept stage)

December 2019: Byleth's announcement is pushed back to January for unknown reasons.

January 2020: Min Min (polish stage), 7, 8, 9 (concept stage). Sakurai formally announces Season 2 and notes all characters have already been decided.

March 2020: It's publicly announced 6 is delayed to June. Cites programming/balancing issues.

June 2020: 7 (polish stage), 8, 9, 10 (concept stage)

This is where we theoretically should be right now. Based on past precedent, 7 has likely been in a presentable state since late June/early July. Because it's been almost 3 months with no real update, we don't know what the team does during significant delays but the default theory is that they don't work on anybody new until someone else is released. This said, 7 is more than likely completely and totally done and 8 probably won't be too far behind, likely resembling how Hero and Banjo were only roughly a month apart because Hero's release was pushed from June to July for unknown reasons. This potentially establishs the theory that 7 will either be late September or early October and, in tandem, 8 will be early or mid November.

Last edited:

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Watch HALO:Infinite for the Switch announced with MC+GENO Reveal... could be why the graphics were so dated looking in their initial trailer lol! Would coincide nicely with a Switch Ultra reveal which' suspected to happen.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
People keep on forgetting that FE DLC got shadow dropped as a trailer right after Byleth's presentation, on twitter. Nothing is forcing Nintendo to hold off on just doing that for Geno and SMRPG, or any other character who has their announcement tied to a game trailer.
Here's the thing with that though... We already knew that was a thing. We already knew that we were getting a FE DLC that was a new story. We don't know for sure about the SMRPG remake/sequel/whatever or any other potential character related announcements.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Posted this on Star Road earlier but I figured I'd bring it here. This is an update of something I did before Byleth was announced. Basically we determined a long time ago that Sakurai and co typically work on three characters at any given time when it comes to DLC. We have a strong idea about this for several reasons:

-Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were all datamined in April 2015 and released together in June 2015.

-Three "Marios" were found in Smash 4's code shortly after E3 2015.

-Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo were all formally shown off together in the December 2015 Smash Presentation.

-Plant, Joker, and Hero were in Ultimate's code in December 2018.

-Sakurai sent out a message to Japanese fans on Twitter in December 2018 noting that the first three characters of the Fighter's Pass were being worked on. (Pushdustin tweeted about it but I can't the tweet and searching Twitter is a pain in the ass without an account)

Beyond this, there seems to be a sort of "cool down/polish" period where characters are presentable and only need minor debugging and other characters are more focused on. There also appears to be a period before a character starts official development. I usually refer to this as "greenlighting" but it's more like character concept creation and negotiating/working with the original character creators to determine how they will be in Smash. We have an idea on these for several reasons:

-December 2018, Sakurai mentioned that he was working on the first three characters of the Fighter's Pass. Strangely didn't mention Plant.

-Apparently Banjo was being worked on in some capacity in December 2018 but wasn't in the game's code yet.

-Of the ones Sakurai has openly confirmed, Banjo's presentation was recorded shortly after Hero's release (August 2019), Terry after Banjo's (September), Byleth after Terry (November), and Min Min in early May 2020.

So, with all this on the table, let's map out a theoretical timeline for Smash Ultimate's DLC:

November 2018: Plant, Joker (both already in the game's code), Hero (in concept creation stage)

December 2018: Plant (polish stage), Joker, Hero, (all in the game's code) and Banjo (concept stage)

January 2019: Nintendo finds out about the DLC datamines and begins to heavily encrypt updates to prevent future leaks.

February 2019: Joker (polish stage), Hero, Banjo, Terry (concept stage)

April 2019: Hero (polish stage), Banjo, Terry, Byleth (concept stage)

June 2019: Hero is pushed back to July for unknown reasons.

July 2019: Banjo (polish stage), Terry, Byleth, Min Min (concept stage)

September 2019: Terry (polish stage), Byleth, Min Min, 7 (concept stage)

November 2019: Byleth (polish stage) ,Min Min, 7, 8 (concept stage)

December 2019: Byleth's announcement is pushed back to January for unknown reasons.

January 2020: Min Min (polish stage), 7, 8, 9 (concept stage)

March 2020: It's publicly announced 6 is delayed to June. Cites programming/balancing issues.

June 2020: 7 (polish stage), 8, 9, 10 (concept stage)

This is where we theoretically should be right now. Based on past precedent, 7 has likely been in a presentable state since late June/early July. Because it's been almost 3 months with no real update, we don't know what the team does during significant delays but the default theory is that they don't work on anybody new until someone else is released. This said, 7 is more than likely completely and totally done and 8 probably won't be too far behind, likely resembling how Hero and Banjo were only roughly a month apart because Hero's release was pushed from June to July for unknown reasons. This potentially establishs the theory that 7 will either be late September or early October and, in tandem, 8 will be early or mid November.
I've been speculating FP8 to be a November release for a good while, so this lines up just about perfectly.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That's fair but we don't really have a reason to rule out next week (or even this week until tomorrow morning really) at all yet. Amiibo theory is consistent but it gives a wide range of dates. This also gives us a caveat that if Amiibo theory IS wrong there is genuine reason to believe 7 was meant to tie into a larger sort of announcement. The longer we go the weirder it looks.

Who's to say those announcements haven't had to have been delayed though? I mean we saw what happened with Infinite, that seems to be going back a full YEAR. Microsoft has an order of priorities and with a next-gen console launching this year the Switch isn't exactly high on that list. Master Chief Collection on Switch could easily have been pushed back, we still don't have ODST or 4 on PC. Whatever other stuff you are referring to, if it's true might have been caught in the chaos as well.
ODST is dropping on the 22th 4 should be this year since they've gotten them out so fast

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh it seems we DID get an update this month. Guess people saying Allstars was a special thing were right.
  • I have literally never heard of Peace Keepers
  • MARIO'S SUPER PICROSS? I guess that's not too weird given it was on the Virtual Console in Japan but still, pretty obscure
  • More NES Games? Man you have alot of these Nintendo.
Also the best SNES game not named Super Mario RPG is here too I guess no biggie.
8334d73e3998db054440e47e35896b4688a3a478_hq.gif

pinshadow

Smash Lord
DKC2 got added on the NSO and Super Mario ****in' Picross got localized in North America after 25 years. Man, this year has been surreal...
Not localized, just released, same as Panel De Pon. I think they realized there's no reason not to release them here since you don't need to be able to read Japanese to play them. It's not like we got SMT. They even put a video on Twitter for it.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Geno is the Donald Trump of Smash.
  • Gets brought up often
  • Is incredibly controversial
  • Divides people almost exclusively along party lines
  • Debates between both sides tend to get ugly
  • We have yet to see both of them in the same room together
Prove me wrong. Pro tip: You can't.

And just after I finished playing through DKC! Maybe this year ain't too bad after all.

So smash news is less likely for this week now?
Pretty much. I think it's safe to say means it'll mid-October at the latest before we hear anything about CP7.

View attachment 285694
OH MY GOD FINALLY I CANT BELIEVE IT TOOK THIS LONG FOR DKC2 BUT THIS MASTERPIECE IS FINALLY ON SWITCH!! Now new people can experience it and just see how amazing it is!

On a separate note, the continued absence of Earthbound makes me think there might be a remake in the works...
Toby Fox is making Earthbound 4, delays Undertale 2 to 2030. :ultpacman:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Geno is the Donald Trump of Smash.
  • Gets brought up often
  • Is incredibly controversial
  • Divides people almost exclusively along party lines
  • Debates between both sides tend to get ugly
  • We have yet to see both of them in the same room together
Prove me wrong. Pro tip: You can't.
It seems like a bad idea to bring politics into this out of nowhere, even jokingly. (also, it doesn't seem like a great idea to compare the character that you support to Trump)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So smash news is less likely for this week now?
Teeeeeeeeeeeechnically... decided to look into and it typically goes spirit event and then a tournament back and forth. If you want to get extra tinfoily, the 64th spirit event is the week of the 28th and, if the typical pattern holds, should be a tournament.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If there wasn't such a huge cult built around Melee, MAYBE this could have been a thing, but Nintendo would never risk splintering the fanbase again with an HD rerelease. I'd be down for Brawl though, if nothing else to play Subspace emissary again. Still the most epic cross-over story in Nintendo's history, even without any dialogue.
Knowing Nintendo they would use the PAL version since it is the most recent, and the Melee crowd would probably go into a huge ****fest over it since it features alot of impactful balance changes for certain characters.
I'm pretty sure if this did happen melee would use the PAL version that came out latter, a BUNCH of bugs were patched. given how melee is mostly big due to competitive using these bugs, people would be PISSED
Actually, Wavedashing was secretly part of Melee's mechanics. Watch this video to understand:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is cool, sure, but what would you think of this?

[This isn't Geno or SMRPG related, I know, but I made this because I was bored and I really loved the result of it, so here ya go. I know this probably will never happen, but one can dream right?]
View attachment 285675
I'm personally waiting for this.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Has Square even revealed anything major at all this year themselves come to think of it? I haven't heard of anything major from their front? I know they had rumors and what not that that they were close to revealing Final Fantasy 16.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has Square even revealed anything major at all this year themselves come to think of it? I haven't heard of anything major from their front? I know they had rumors and what not that that they were close to revealing Final Fantasy 16.
I think they announce some event for NieR: Automata for the 24th of this month if I'm not mistaken.

Here it is:

They're going to announce something for NieR at the Tokyo Game Show on the 24th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom