• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To anybody just tuning in, here's the rundown:

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update that includes 45 items with three being a mobile game, a downloadable game, and a home console game. If I were a DK fan, I'd definitely start stocking up on champagne bottles.

-With the recent big Zelda and DKC trademark updates, definitely adds a couple of extra Ms to the HMMMs that the recent Mario Sports, Golden Sun, N64, etc, trademark updates created.

-Super Mario All-stars leaked and it's been discovered that it uses a modified Wii U emulator. Provides evidence that Nintendo has been tinkering with N64 roms for more than just All Stars.

Weirdly a big day Nintendo speculation wise.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
ds/3ds has quite a few problems with any games, that need the bottom screen for touch controls. Gameboy should run fine
edit: also adding in the original gameboy/ gameboy color
You know, with you mentioning the difficulty of implementing ds/3DS bottom screen controls, it reminded me of a conversation I had the other day about why Mario Galaxy 2 was glossed over with the Mario 3D all stars. Didn't Galaxy 2 feature a lot of wii mote controls for Yoshi and stuff? I think they may have painted themselves into a corner with the stupid motion controls in such a way that future hardware would be unable to replicate.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
You know, with you mentioning the difficulty of implementing ds/3DS bottom screen controls, it reminded me of a conversation I had the other day about why Mario Galaxy 2 was glossed over with the Mario 3D all stars. Didn't Galaxy 2 feature a lot of wii mote controls for Yoshi and stuff? I think they may have painted themselves into a corner with the stupid motion controls in such a way that future hardware would be unable to replicate.
the switch can use the gyro sensors in the joycon to work like wii pointer controls. world of goo used them like this. don't know how accurate they are though

TriggerX

Smash Ace
It would help to include some text in this post, but I'm not sure if it's just leftovers from the Wii U virtual console. Perfect Dark was never released on the Wii U.
Maybe they just wanted to test a wide variety of games on the emulator. Perfect Dark is a good candidate since it utilizes that Expansion Pak from what I recall.
There were only so many games that actually used it.
But who knows, could be anyone’s guess. Hopefully this does end up turning into a virtual console on the switch along with a GameCube one.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Man, Nintendo is really dumb if they’re just sitting on trailers for a Mario RPG remake, Golden Sun remake, new DKC, BOTW2 & several Smash characters just because they’re now scared to reveal anything unless they know it’s coming out within 2 months.

I think the majority of their fanbase would understand any delays.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Man, Nintendo is really dumb if they’re just sitting on trailers for a Mario RPG remake, Golden Sun remake, new DKC, BOTW2 & several Smash characters just because they’re now scared to reveal anything unless they know it’s coming out within 2 months.

I think the majority of their fanbase would understand any delays.
My bet is that Nintendo HATES delays. We've seen it very few and far between with them recently, but usually the big titles that get delayed are stuff like Metroid and Zelda games. I'm willing to bet BOTW2 was probably once going to be a 2020 game, but eventually shifted to 2021 even before Covid due to the massive undertaking of the project. They are probably really ashamed of what happened with Prime 4 and don't want to look vulnerable as a company.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Hey everyone! Its been a while, sorry to show up out of nowhere. Ive been focused on college stuff and haven't had time to go on smash boards or do really anything else. Just wanted to stop on by and say hi :bee:, Ive viewed the last 10 or so pages. From what im hearing it sounds like we're in a pretty good position in terms of announcements (the Mario stuff) and the likelihood of a smash character this year soon. If I remember correctly Tiffany T. hinted at October 8th for when the next smash character could be revealed, so not too long from now. Geno is in a really good position too, with really everything pointing at his inclusion, so that's exciting. (Though also note I think Tiffany T. hinted at FP7 being a third party used for sales in her replies on her post where she said she's "95% certain" she knows who the next smash character is, but I think its just speculation.) Regardless, it looks like were in a good spot, and I hope we get a reveal soon!

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Hey everyone! Its been a while, sorry to show up out of nowhere. Ive been focused on college stuff and haven't had time to go on smash boards or do really anything else. Just wanted to stop on by and say hi :bee:, Ive viewed the last 10 or so pages. From what im hearing it sounds like we're in a pretty good position in terms of announcements (the Mario stuff) and the likelihood of a smash character this year soon. If I remember correctly Tiffany T. hinted at October 8th for when the next smash character could be revealed, so not too long from now. Geno is in a really good position too, with really everything pointing at his inclusion, so that's exciting. (Though also note I think Tiffany T. hinted at FP7 being a third party used for sales in her replies on her post where she said she's "95% certain" she knows who the next smash character is, but I think its just speculation.) Regardless, it looks like were in a good spot, and I hope we get a reveal soon!
Wait, October 8th? I thought it was this month.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I assume you missed some stuff that happened earlier, but it’s best not to trust Tiffany. She got a few things right, but she’s gotten more wrong then right. Including mentioning something would happen last Friday, and... well there was nothing.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I assume you missed some stuff that happened earlier, but it’s best not to trust Tiffany. She got a few things right, but she’s gotten more wrong then right. Including mentioning something would happen last Friday, and... well there was nothing.
Yea, ive noticed, its been a bit on and off with her predicting things.

Droodle

Smash Lord
My bet is that Nintendo HATES delays. We've seen it very few and far between with them recently, but usually the big titles that get delayed are stuff like Metroid and Zelda games. I'm willing to bet BOTW2 was probably once going to be a 2020 game, but eventually shifted to 2021 even before Covid due to the massive undertaking of the project. They are probably really ashamed of what happened with Prime 4 and don't want to look vulnerable as a company.
Nintendo does hate delays, but I'm willing to bet that they didn't even plan to make BOTW 2 a 2020 game at this point. Nintendo has been pretty keen on admitting they want Zelda to be a yearly thing, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean mainline games every year either.

The only indication that we ever had of BOTW being 2020 was from Zell, back in 2019. However many insiders came out this year suggesting that BOTW 2 was never even meant for 2020 anyways, and with the release of Hyrule Warriors 2 being a BOTW prequel; it's safe to assume that Zell's information was actually about this game and BOTW 2 was always 2021.

That said next year will probably be Zelda heavy anyways, and probably have some focus on Metroid/Pokemon too. And chances are half the DK trademarks are for the anniversary next year anyways. We probably can expect the Wii U ports of TP/WW and a enhanced port of Skyward Sword alongside BotW 2. For Metroid, it's probably Metroid V and Prime collection (Prime 4 is likely 2022), and for Pokemon I expect Gen 4 Remakes and ports of Gen I/Gen 3 Kanto games (if they add Gameboy to Switch online/eshop). And probably a couple new DK games/ports.

A game that probably got shifted to next year is probably the Super Mario 3D World port, because I can't see any reason to release it early next year; after the anniversary. Probably a good chunk of other unannounced stuff.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm more confident we'll see FP7 revealed and released before the end of the month. Remember, the deadline for the next amiibo wave is next Friday, and they have to update the game before or around that time and the DLC fighters typically release around the Japanese release dates for Amiibos over the West

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I'm more confident we'll see FP7 revealed and released before the end of the month. Remember, the deadline for the next amiibo wave is next Friday, and they have to update the game before or around that time and the DLC fighters typically release around the Japanese release dates for Amiibos over the West
I expect FP7 before the Amiibo wave. But I also am prepared for that update to just happen on its own, without a character.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
To anybody just tuning in, here's the rundown:

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update that includes 45 items with three being a mobile game, a downloadable game, and a home console game. If I were a DK fan, I'd definitely start stocking up on champagne bottles.

-With the recent big Zelda and DKC trademark updates, definitely adds a couple of extra Ms to the HMMMs that the recent Mario Sports, Golden Sun, N64, etc, trademark updates created.

-Super Mario All-stars leaked and it's been discovered that it uses a modified Wii U emulator. Provides evidence that Nintendo has been tinkering with N64 roms for more than just All Stars.

Weirdly a big day Nintendo speculation wise.
tenor.gif

Yea, the trademarks have basically sealed the deal for me in terms of what I'm thinking Nintendo is doing with DK. I thought about mentioning it yesterday but honestly it's just yet another piece of evidence that points towards Nintendo taking an initiative in making DK a core franchise for them again and finally giving it a stable development team, likely internally. Not to mention next year IS the 40th anniversary for Donkey Kong, I know people were salty Nintendo didn't acknowledge DKC's 25th but I think Nintendo would choose the arcade game's release to celebrate instead. The giant trademark certainly points towards more than just a game. (also the fact that it's a Donkey Kong Country trademark and not Super Donkey Kong, which is what the franchise has always been refereed to in Japan, but who knows if that means anything.)

As for the N64 stuff though, from what I recall Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, an Resident Evil 2 were all found in the Wii U VC as leftovers in the data for other games. The other games being in there doesn't mean anything since it's built on the same architecture. (Being honest I'm just smoldering at how genuninely bare-minimum the ports seem to be, literally just emulated roms, zero fixes to anything, you can't even skip cutscenes in Sunshine and no autosave, so have fun getting stopped by the save prompt every single time you grab a blue coin and a nozzle, and despite being emulated roms there's alot of weird ass changes I've seen just today and I'm sure stuff will keep coming up.)

EDIT: Also, just based on past patterns, I'm expecting an update tonight where they add the amiibo functionality to Hero and Joker, just based on the 10 day window they've given to the other waves in the past for this.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is cool, sure, but what would you think of this?

[This isn't Geno or SMRPG related, I know, but I made this because I was bored and I really loved the result of it, so here ya go. I know this probably will never happen, but one can dream right?]
View attachment 285675
If there wasn't such a huge cult built around Melee, MAYBE this could have been a thing, but Nintendo would never risk splintering the fanbase again with an HD rerelease. I'd be down for Brawl though, if nothing else to play Subspace emissary again. Still the most epic cross-over story in Nintendo's history, even without any dialogue.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

[This isn't Geno or SMRPG related, I know, but I made this because I was bored and I really loved the result of it, so here ya go. I know this probably will never happen, but one can dream right?]
View attachment 285675
Knowing Nintendo they would use the PAL version since it is the most recent, and the Melee crowd would probably go into a huge ****fest over it since it features alot of impactful balance changes for certain characters.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 285675
I'm pretty sure if this did happen melee would use the PAL version that came out latter, a BUNCH of bugs were patched. given how melee is mostly big due to competitive using these bugs, people would be PISSED

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I was actually kind of pondering to myself earlier today about how crazy it seems that we've gone nearly nine months in full from when the last character from FP1 was released, by which point we were already aware that more fighters were coming. Given what all is happening for the remainder of September, I actually would not be terribly surprised if this wait carried over into October.

Considering the length of time, I would love to say that this would mean some kind of double reveal / double release, but I think that's probably asking for way too much, given what all's still currently going on.

But, I'll place my bets right now; I'm going to settle in on the belief that October will be the month for Smash to receive some additional news / updates, and I don't believe that the upcoming Amiibo release will really mean much, considering the various defying of expected conventions that we've already been witness to this year.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure if this did happen melee would use the PAL version that came out latter, a BUNCH of bugs were patched. given how melee is mostly big due to competitive using these bugs, people would be PISSED
To this day, I still find it hilarious that the most lauded "mechanics" of competitive melee are the exploitable glitches it had.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was actually kind of pondering to myself earlier today about how crazy it seems that we've gone nearly nine months in full from when the last character from FP1 was released, by which point we were already aware that more fighters were coming. Given what all is happening for the remainder of September, I actually would not be terribly surprised if this wait carried over into October.

Considering the length of time, I would love to say that this would mean some kind of double reveal / double release, but I think that's probably asking for way too much, given what all's still currently going on.

But, I'll place my bets right now; I'm going to settle in on the belief that October will be the month for Smash to receive some additional news / updates, and I don't believe that the upcoming Amiibo release will really mean much, considering the various defying of expected conventions that we've already been witness to this year.
I'm begrudgingly getting to this point. I'm wondering if it was Nintendo's plan this whole time to reschedule E3 for early October and we've been played for fools for 3 1/2 months. I mean... Amiibo Theory would still technically be right because the North American release is October 2nd but, **** me with a rake, this has been a slog...

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
irl headcanon:

The Nintendo Ninjas have been deployed effective September 1st, 2020. They are to strike at the mere mentioning of Geno being revealed as DLC Fig... slash

Nothing to see here ladies and gentlemen. Continue discussing and supporting Geno for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Thank you for your patronage by playing our games. :)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm begrudgingly getting to this point. I'm wondering if it was Nintendo's plan this whole time to reschedule E3 for early October and we've been played for fools for 3 1/2 months. I mean... Amiibo Theory would still technically be right because the North American release is October 2nd but, **** me with a rake, this has been a slog...
Or that Nintendo's E3 wasn't as big as it was made out to be? And if it WAS their plans have been radically restructured? I really think we need to stop expecting Nintendo to drop an E3 bomb on us, it's already been 3 MONTHS. It's obvious that with all the Mario and Hyrule Warriors stuff out in the open we aren't getting anything else substantial soon outside of DLC releases and maybe one early 2021 game announcement some time in October. I genuninely think Nintendo has decided to hold their cards for when they make a big push for the Switch Pro next year.

Though I do think the longer they wait to reveal 7 the more conspicuous it looks. Think about it, Nintendo was willing to announce just the FRANCHISE Fighter 6 was from 3 months in advance just to keep the hype going and the community satiated. Now it's been 3 months since E3 and not a peep from them? If we DO reach the end of September without 7 I'm really starting to consider the idea that 7 was meant to coincide with some kind of other reveal.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I sort of understand that. But as a fan, I’d rather know something is coming even if it’s years away. Knowing Metroid Prime 4 & Bayonetta 3 are actually happening is great even if they’re years away.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
pinshadow pinshadow I know that we hard disagree on this topic but the reason I think that there's probably going to be a notable presentation this year because "7" and especially "8" are supposed to tie into multiple major announcements. For 7, if it really is Geno and the SMRPG remake, I don't think that's something they'd randomly drop and Sakurai has never done a new game reveal in a Sakurai Presents presentation. "There's a first time for everything", sure, but Geno's legacy and especially SMRPG's make me believe they wouldn't reveal it in anything short of a Direct. That's the caveat. For the one I'm allowed to explain, I can't see Geno in Smash and the SMRPG remake being separate announcements.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
pinshadow pinshadow I know that we hard disagree on this topic but the reason I think that there's probably going to be a notable presentation this year because "7" and especially "8" are supposed to tie into multiple major announcements. For 7, if it really is Geno and the SMRPG remake, I don't think that's something they'd randomly drop and Sakurai has never done a new game reveal in a Sakurai Presents presentation. "There's a first time for everything", sure, but Geno's legacy and especially SMRPG's make me believe they wouldn't reveal it in anything short of a Direct. That's the caveat. For the one I'm allowed to explain, I can't see Geno in Smash and the SMRPG remake being separate announcements.
Or we could just be wrong about who 7 and 8 actually are? Let's be blunt here, pretty much every source is saying no direct anytime soon, this is it for now save for DLC, Partner Showcases, and Twitter drops, in a year where they've been right on the money about most major announcements AND presentations. So either 7 gets revealed in the next few weeks and isn't tied to anything, what they are tied to is shadowdropped on twitter, or we're waiting a lot longer than we think. (For the record, if I'm right about who you think 8 is it's weird that you aren't explaining it given you've been pretty open discussing the idea in the past and it's not like you'd be the first guy to break the rumor, it's been floating around for well over a year.)

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
People keep on forgetting that FE DLC got shadow dropped as a trailer right after Byleth's presentation, on twitter. Nothing is forcing Nintendo to hold off on just doing that for Geno and SMRPG, or any other character who has their announcement tied to a game trailer.

Yeah, I know that SMRPG remake is a big game comparatively to just DLC and Nintendo probably would like it to be in a Direct, but as we've seen already Nintendo has no qualms of shadow dropping MAJOR announcements on twitter.

And yeah...
Or we could just be wrong about who 7 and 8 actually are? Let's be blunt here, pretty much every source is saying no direct anytime soon, this is it for now save for DLC, Partner Showcases, and Twitter drops, in a year where they've been right on the money about most major announcements AND presentations. So either 7 gets revealed in the next few weeks and isn't tied to anything, what they are tied to is shadowdropped on twitter, or we're waiting a lot longer than we think. (For the record, if I'm right about who you think 8 is it's weird that you aren't explaining it given you've been pretty open discussing the idea in the past and it's not like you'd be the first guy to break the rumor, it's been floating around for well over a year.)
We could all just be wrong about the next couple of fighters, it's not like it's unheard of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
pinshadow pinshadow I do think Chief is 8 but I've been asked to not talk about a number of different things regarding his potential reveal. That's why I don't really go back and forth with you on this topic because I can't openly use those as counterpoints. Could I be wrong? Yes but a good number of people I trust have all shared similar details on this topic and why I believe it wouldn't be your typical Smash reveal.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
pinshadow pinshadow I do think Chief is 8 but I've been asked to not talk about a number of different things regarding his potential reveal. That's why I don't really go back and forth with you on this topic because I can't openly use those as counterpoints. Could I be wrong? Yes but a good number of people I trust have all shared similar details on this topic and why I believe it wouldn't be your typical Smash reveal.
Fair enough I guess. I'll admit this back and forth is getting old and neither of us are really going to change our minds on it. Reaaally starting to feel like this has dragged on long enough and we're just waiting for Nintendo to pull off the band-aid and tell us who the hell 7 is already.

• "The Entire Fighter 7 Mood"

1455489119449.png

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Cacomallow is real with Geno as 7 & Chief as 8 in a double-reveal... been saying this forever.

The reason it's a Cacodemon hat instead of a Doomguy character or Mii Costume is because Doomguy & Master Chief share too much similarity in appearance. Makes far more sense to represent Doom via Cacodemon Hat.

GENO's chances are insanely high but even I could never picture him as an individual reveal as he's far too niche from the mainstream at this point... they'd want to amp up his reveal with somebody HUGE in the mainstream. I've been thinking forever that a Perfect Dark nod in the form of a Mii Costume would make sense too... just adds to the pile for MC.

Master Chief, especially with Infinite looming, is a no-brainer.

Watch the Halo Collection drop on Switch too as part of the reveal.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
There is also a small, small possibility that 7 may be revealed at the TGS, it's not like it's an impossibility considering that Joker was tied to a Game Awards reveal (though in that case Ultimate did come out at the exact same day). It would suck, as I imagine a lot of people won't be able to watch it live; but it's still in the cards. I imagine Tokyo Game Show will be quite the showcase either way, considering we can expect a lot of JP companies that couldn't use E3 swapped their plans over to TGS. Even Microsoft has the starting showcase...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fair enough I guess. I'll admit this back and forth is getting old and neither of us are really going to change our minds on it. Reaaally starting to feel like this has dragged on long enough and we're just waiting for Nintendo to pull off the band-aid and tell us who the hell 7 is already.

• "The Entire Fighter 7 Mood"

View attachment 285676
While I was out picking tomatoes in my garden, I realized that the best way I can describe it without spoilers or betraying anyone's trust is that Chief's rumored reveal is supposed to be a "capstone" of sorts. It's supposed to tie in like three or four announcements that no doubt would have been E3 announcements if not for COVID-19 and strongly makes me believe that it was meant to be "the Big Finale" of Nintendo's E3 2020. That said, those other announcements would need to happen first and probably wouldn't have the full impact if there was a significant time gap between them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
While I was out picking tomatoes in my garden, I realized that the best way I can describe it without spoilers or betraying anyone's trust is that Chief's rumored reveal is supposed to be a "capstone" of sorts. It's supposed to tie in like three or four announcements that no doubt would have been E3 announcements if not for COVID-19 and strongly makes me believe that it was meant to be "the Big Finale" of Nintendo's E3 2020. That said, those other announcements would need to happen first and probably wouldn't have the full impact if there was a significant time gap between them.
From that description, the Tokyo Game Show or the Game Awards seem like the only possible opportunities for Master Chief to be revealed if he is indeed FP8

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
At this point I'm thinking the last week of September or early October.

Amiibo theory has held up pretty well.
That's fair but we don't really have a reason to rule out next week (or even this week until tomorrow morning really) at all yet. Amiibo theory is consistent but it gives a wide range of dates. This also gives us a caveat that if Amiibo theory IS wrong there is genuine reason to believe 7 was meant to tie into a larger sort of announcement. The longer we go the weirder it looks.

Who's to say those announcements haven't had to have been delayed though? I mean we saw what happened with Infinite, that seems to be going back a full YEAR. Microsoft has an order of priorities and with a next-gen console launching this year the Switch isn't exactly high on that list. Master Chief Collection on Switch could easily have been pushed back, we still don't have ODST or 4 on PC. Whatever other stuff you are referring to, if it's true might have been caught in the chaos as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We still need to see what this presentation Nintendo Life is holding on Thursday has for potential info. If nothing Smash or FP7 related, it could relate to things Fatman has heard over the past year

Reactions: QQS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom