• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As I've been exploring SmashBoards in recent weeks, it's honestly crazy to me to see how much people dislike Geno and this thread specifically. Maybe some people have some valid criticism, or even a bad experience they've had here in this thread, but I think the bulk of the disdain is merely a result of those on top will always have the most haters.

(Not saying this thread is on top or the greatest, simply that it's the most active and viewed character support thread.)
Geno has always been a "you either get it or you don't" character and instead of the healthy response of "I don't understand or I don't want it but that's perfectly okay", the typical response of a good portion of the Smash fanbase has been "if I don't understand it or want it, it's stupid and its supporters are stupid and supporters that start with the letter F probably lie to children for Reddit Gold™ like some sociopathic leprechaun ( Firox Firox , you sick ****). Geno? More like... the Human Genome Project, because I wish could erase the Geno gene from existence, breaking international law and committing euGENOics; amirite lads or amirite lads?"

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
It's just a matter of when he will be revealed, Geno that is; going off by this post, of course.

So, we're in some kind of Anti-Fatman war with some haters hating on him? Not cool.
There àlways have been a war with fatmanasia.(cheeky 1984)
Not Geno related, but happy 19th birthday to the GameCube and Luigi's Mansion!

View attachment 285585

Its crazy to think that next year will be when the GameCube will enter the 20's club along with the SNES and N64. Time certainly flies.
Thanks for making me feel Ancient.
View attachment 285592
Why are people underplaying what Ryce said? That seemed like a pretty blatant hint to me. It was told like as if something in the future would prove that Geno isn't edgy. I can't be the only one reading it as that.
It could be a hint. It could also be him explaning stuff. It's not evidence.
At this point FP 7 is done and FP 8 is probably already done - and they are working on FP9 . Min min was presentable in May. E3 got screwed. I dont know whats the hold back to show off FP7 now. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo / Sakurai decided to do a FP 7 AND FP 8 presentation together and call it for the year. I wouldn't mind to be honest. At least we know which characters are coming. December/ January they can reveal FF9 e3 the FF 10 AND FF 11 and be done with it.
It's been less than three months.
They've been adjusting to the home offices, japanese work culture is different than in the u.s.
Also, if it's a third party,sakurai has to make a presentation to that developer. I don't know if it's still in person.
Plus, characters get fancy ass cgi or 2d animated trailers. Those take time.
I don't think we'll get a double reveal unless this **** goes to october. And that, would be worrying.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
As I've been exploring SmashBoards in recent weeks, it's honestly crazy to me to see how much people dislike Geno and this thread specifically. Maybe some people have some valid criticism, or even a bad experience they've had here in this thread, but I think the bulk of the disdain is merely a result of those on top will always have the most haters.

(Not saying this thread is on top or the greatest, simply that it's the most active and viewed character support thread.)
That video by Jonathon Motes about how hype works and how it relates to Geno really explains this well.

Basically, we all love Geno and hype him up, but then people who have no attachment come by and see us hyping him up and expect him to be the most amazing thing ever and then he turns out to be a dead character from 25 years ago and they are confused. We continue to hype them, and these people either:
  1. Stay confused about our hype but have nothing against us or the character, thus being neutral.
  2. Don't want the character themselves but want Geno to get in to make us happy, thus being for us.
  3. Get sick and tired of everyone talking about Geno and decide they think he isn't worthy, thus being against us.
Meanwhile we just keep gushing about our wonderful blue puppet boi and in some cases overhyping him JUST a smidge and people get sick of it and **** on us, so we retaliate and think we are one of the most 'oppressed' fanbases when literally the next heavily-discussed character will be just as hated on just like Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were in the past.

Firox

Smash Master
Geno has always been a "you either get it or you don't" character and instead of the healthy response of "I don't understand or I don't want it but that's perfectly okay", the typical response of a good portion of the Smash fanbase has been "if I don't understand it or want it, it's stupid and its supporters are stupid and supporters that start with the letter F probably lie to children for Reddit Gold™ like some sociopathic leprechaun ( Firox Firox , you sick ****). Geno? More like... the Human Genome Project, because I wish could erase the Geno gene from existence, breaking international law and committing euGENOics; amirite lads or amirite lads?"
LOL I do like lying to children for Reddit Gold™....💰:slime:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dude same.

We’ll make it brother, there’s nothing more attractive to a woman then spending your time on internet message boards!
I mean, it worked for me. Going on 8 years in about 2 1/2 weeks. There's hope for you lads. A lot of it is honestly having CONFIDENCE (insert Howie scream here) and, unironically, some of the best dating advice I ever got was: "if you were a Smash character, would anybody want to pick you?" It's not beeeee yourself, it's be yourself, better and continuously working to not only be interesting to other people but to improve yourself. Also, it's important to find balance in three huge things: interests, hobbies, and talents. Interests are things that you're invested in outside yourself, hobbies are the self application of these interests, and talents are interests that you've invested yourself in enough to actually be good at. Way too many people focus on interests and not enough actual investment to make them hobbies or even talents.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey, so YouTuber BlastBox is making a video about Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and is asking for people's ideas.
He's also provided a template with which to make your Fighters Pass with.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, it worked for me. Going on 8 years in about 2 1/2 weeks. There's hope for you lads. A lot of it is honestly having CONFIDENCE (insert Howie scream here) and, unironically, some of the best dating advice I ever got was: "if you were a Smash character, would anybody want to pick you?" It's not beeeee yourself, it's be yourself, better and continuously working to not only be interesting to other people but to improve yourself. Also, it's important to find balance in three huge things: interests, hobbies, and talents. Interests are things that you're invested in outside yourself, hobbies are the self application of these interests, and talents are interests that you've invested yourself in enough to actually be good at. Way too many people focus on interests and not enough actual investment to make them hobbies or even talents.
Legitimate dating advice? In my Geno thread? It’s more likely than you think.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The recent Ryce post strikes me as yet another one for the "keep an eye on it" bin. It might be a hint, might not be, but it's worth keeping in mind considering he gets inside info. Hopefully we'll find out soon if this was a hint or not.

I know for a fact that he leaked this entire MvCI roster and one of the SFV DLC seasons but for the life of me I cannot remember which one it was. The talk is that he is a tester and that is were he gets the information he has shared with us, so as long as he either still is a tester for Smash/was a tester during the proper window of time, him talking about Geno like this is kinda nuts.
I think it was Season 2 (the one that brought back Akuma and brought in a bunch of new characters like Kolin and Zeku), since I remember that entire season being leaked ahead of time by someone, and it might've been Ryce.

INB4 the inevitable "Mallow is Sans" theories.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

So, this is happening on Thursday, and according to the article:

Nlife Media is pleased to announce that Nintendo Life, the world’s most visited Nintendo-centric news, reviews and features site, is holding a special video presentation during PAX Online x EGX Digital during which multiple unannounced titles for the Nintendo Switch will be revealed, alongside new footage from several previously-confirmed games, giving players a fresh look at 40 exciting new titles.

The presentation – which will air on PAX Online’s Twitch channel and via Nintendo Life’s YouTube channel – will last just over 30 minutes and will contain titles from established indie publishers as well as smaller studios that are taking their first steps on Switch.

This is more or less an Indie World Showcase under a different umbrella. I have a feeling my hunch was right: This will take this weeks slot, and Smash is next week.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Nlife Media is pleased to announce that Nintendo Life, the world’s most visited Nintendo-centric news, reviews and features site, is holding a special video presentation during PAX Online x EGX Digital during which multiple unannounced titles for the Nintendo Switch will be revealed, alongside new footage from several previously-confirmed games, giving players a fresh look at 40 exciting new titles.

The presentation – which will air on PAX Online’s Twitch channel and via Nintendo Life’s YouTube channel – will last just over 30 minutes and will contain titles from established indie publishers as well as smaller studios that are taking their first steps on Switch.

This is more or less an Indie World Showcase under a different umbrella. I have a feeling my hunch was right: This will take this weeks slot, and Smash is next week.
Nintendo's taking so long to get Switch games out there that Nintendo Life's just like "Fine, I'll do it myself.".

MattX20

Smash Hero

Note that it said previously confirmed games too, the reveal for FP7 could happen there as well

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
This thread is too far off the rails for me, so I wish you all good luck and will stop back in for congratulations when Geno is hopefully announced! Good luck all, hopefully good news comes soon!
okamifire okamifire No, its all good now. We just got a little heated. Fatmans been having a hard time.

THIS WEEK, GANG!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Note that it said previously confirmed games too, the reveal for FP7 could happen there as well
Not really? I don't think Nintendo themselves are involved in this (other than all the games being on Switch). which means Fighter 7 is likely not being revealed here... unless they decided to just let a Nintendo-themed news website handle the reveal.

Plus, if Smash was being revealed there, we likely would've gotten a tweet about it in advance.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That seems REALLY unlikely that they would drop a Smash character in an event that we, up until literally just now, didn't know existed and Smash fans might not even watch at all
Not really? I don't think Nintendo themselves are involved in this (other than all the games being on Switch). which means Fighter 7 is likely not being revealed here... unless they decided to just let a Nintendo-themed news website handle the reveal.

Plus, if Smash was being revealed there, we likely would've gotten a tweet about it in advance.
At this point, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something like this so I'm not going to write it off

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
At this point, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something like this so I'm not going to write it off
I know this whole year's been one big question mark for everything, but Nintendo just letting a news website reveal a Smash character instead of doing it themselves feels weird, even for 2020.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Why the hell would a completely unaffiliated showcase of Switch games affect ANYTHING Nintendo has planned for this week?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Legitimate dating advice? In my Geno thread? It’s more likely than you think.
It used to be something I did a lot but now it's just "theorycraft Geno into Smash, Fatman" and "my blood pressure isn't high enough today; give me something to be irrationally angry about, Fatman."

Just some more on this topic, if confidence is something foreign to you, imagine someone you think is cool and confident and then try to put yourself in their shoes. For me, my frame of reference for when I got serious about dating in college was Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop. This wasn't like putting on a voice or dressing up like him, it was asking myself how he would handle certain situations. Once confidence actually felt natural and not forced, my own personality took over, making it genuinely authentic to me. That's another thing about self improvement: it has to be natural and organic. If you pursue certain hobbies, you have to have a legitimate interest in them and not be doing them for someone else. This makes the nature progression of hobbies to talents significantly smoother. At its foundation, all hobbies and talents are inherently self investment.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, this Thursday presentation Nintendo Life is presenting might have some promising information. If there are 40 titles, there's gotta be something of note there

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Dang, crazy idea just popped. What if in a SMRPG sequel, party members actually got the option of using traditional FF spells/abilities?

Mario
  • Abilities: Jump (a-la Dragoon, plus... it was his original special move in SMRPG), Kick
  • Spells: Fire, Fira, Firaga
Mallow
  • Abilities: Bluff (increase Sp. Atk.), Cry (decreases enemy Def. by 50%)
  • Spells: Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga, Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, Cure, Libra
Geno
  • Abilities: Focus (increases Phys. Atk.), Bless (party recovers Flower Points/MP)
  • Spells: Haste, Protect, Shell, Reflect, Holy, Flare, Death (you know... cause Geno Whirl)
Bowser
  • Abilities: Cover, Brace, Throw
  • Spells: Bio, Poison, Break, Quake, Fire, Fira
Peach
  • Abilities: Pray,
  • Spells: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja, Raise, Arise, Esuna, Silence, Confuse
Dunno, would be kinda cool as a nod to the early FF games.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Nope, no switching allowed. Once you've chosen a main, you're mains for life. That tiny Italian boxer imprinted on you and there's no going back.
That doesn't apply to me, I'm a flat earther.
(And my actual main is Ganondorf) :ultganondorf:

Imagine playing as anyone else on the Smash roster when Wario is literally right there. :ultwario:

Clearly everyone else is an uncultured swine.:ultpacman:
Wario is actually awesome to play as, much better than Brawl :warioc: and Smash 4 :4wario2: imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom