• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, I forgot Splatoon 2 was having its Open finals today. Doubt it'll mean anything for Smash speculation though

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another reason the Smash fanbase is up its own ass when it says Geno, Chief, Lloyd, Dante, and Crash are boring picks is based on what characters people actually main and play. Ridley and K. Rool are both low tier but are still absolutely loved because so many people wanted them. Compare this to Plant, Inceniroar, and Byleth who people still actively complain about with the first two being hardly used by anyone and Byleth seemingly being used as a pocket more than anything else. Hell, look at all the people who STILL complain about characters like Wii Fit and Ice Climbers getting added and why I'm perpetually incredulous when people say they want curve balls but will literally complain for years following their addition to Smash.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a little fun idea, how would the character's trailer be named if they got in?
Min Min- Ramen Time
Banjo Kazooie- Best Friends
Joker- The Masked Rebel
Hero- Heroic Encounter
Terry- The Legendary Wolf
Byleth- The Ashen Demon
Edit more titles
King K Rool- The Rivals
Ridley- A Piercing Screech
Ken and Incinaroar- Clash of Flames
Isabelle- All in a Day's Work

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Another reason the Smash fanbase is up its own ass when it says Geno, Chief, Lloyd, Dante, and Crash are boring picks is based on what characters people actually main and play. Ridley and K. Rool are both low tier but are still absolutely loved because so many people wanted them. Compare this to Plant, Inceniroar, and Byleth who people still actively complain about with the first two being hardly used by anyone and Byleth seemingly being used as a pocket more than anything else. Hell, look at all the people who STILL complain about characters like Wii Fit and Ice Climbers getting added and why I'm perpetually incredulous when people say they want curve balls but will literally complain for years following their addition to Smash.
Piranha Plant did annoy me at first, but the fact the character was free (limited time but still free if you registered your copy) and was creative in terms of its moveset made it hard to hate. I definitely would've preferred my favorite Gen 7 'mon Decidueye, but Incineroar does at least fulfill a unique niche as a wrestler. Byleth...even after several months of owning the character I'm struggling to find nice things to say about, I could at least say Corrin was fun to play as

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Just a little fun idea, how would the character's trailer be named if they got in?
Min Min- Ramen Time
Joker- The Masked Rebel
Hero- Heroic Encounter
Byleth- The Ashen Demon
Edit more titles
King K Rool- The Rivals

Geno - The Star is Born
Doomguy - An Infernal Warrior
New Pokemon Snap kid/rep - Photo Shoot
Inteleon - An Agent's Assault
Cinderace - The Winning Score
Rillaboom - Drum Roll
BotW2 Zelda- A Wild Fighter
Porky - A Letter in the Dark (literally just the "Come and find me, Spankety spankety spankety" bit but with a Smash invitation)
Melia - A Starlight Element

And just for funsies:
Marin Aoki - The Prettiest Fighter

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
then someone "leaks" a character people weren't talking about, people think about it, the character gets demand, then goes from "who wants them?" to how boring of course everyone wants them
Or when a character that no one talked about in speculation 'leaks' and people act as if rhey are the perfect most deserving addition, that it was so obvious that they would be added and anyone who disagrees is just salty or living in a Smash Bubble and has no idea what actual fans want.

Then the 'leak' is found fake, people never talk about the character again, a new 'leak' pips up, repeat 53 times.

I think the only hoax that actually irritated me (Grinch depressed me) was the Agnes from I believe Bravely Default (she was literally photoshopped Palutena). A character no one discussed at all, here comes an image, and all of a sudden the Smash fanbase acts like she's one of the most deserving and iconic characters to be added and of course is more important than any of the crapton of potential Square options. I was also annoyed at the idea of the developers choosing her over the far bigger names like Erdrick, Geno, Sora, Lara, Sephiroth, Black Mage. Then it was revealed as fake and everyone pretended as if she and that discussion never existed.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant did annoy me at first, but the fact the character was free (limited time but still free if you registered your copy) and was creative in terms of its moveset made it hard to hate. I definitely would've preferred my favorite Gen 7 'mon Decidueye, but Incineroar does at least fulfill a unique niche as a wrestler. Byleth...even after several months of owning the character I'm struggling to find nice things to say about, I could at least say Corrin was fun to play as
I'm the opposite. Byleth has character in their moves and I like how they play and voiced. Byleth to me feels like a person with moves, while Corrin feels like moves attached to a person shaped object. Corrin may be the most forgettable blandest character added, even years later.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
While I’d ultimately love a pass like Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief for the number of people that want them, I think it’d be more exciting to me personally if the actual fighters we got were none of those, even better if they’re ones no one have even talked about seriously.

I also think there’s a decent chance of this happening as I’m not sure many people really expected Joker, Terry, or Byleth. Banjo always seemed like the least likely to me, but at the same time somehow the most possible. (Which I know doesn’t make much sense.). Hero I’m torn on, I don’t think it was super surprising, but to me not as unexpected as the three above.

Because of all the crap you guys have been through all this time, I do want Geno in Pass 2, and no offense to anyone who wants them, but I’m rooting against all of those other ones, plus Ryu Hayabusa. I’ll be happy if they get in of course, but I want to see some really off the wall picks.
Outside of the hardcore Smash speculation fanbase, I don’t think many people expect Master Chief or think he’s likely. So I feel he’d be just as shocking as Joker to the average fan/ gamer.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
So just don’t listen them. There are tons of vocal idiots in our community... giving each one the time of day is a bad idea. No need to double down on defensive posts

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm the opposite. Byleth has character in their moves and I like how they play and voiced. Byleth to me feels like a person with moves, while Corrin feels like moves attached to a person shaped object. Corrin may be the most forgettable blandest character added, even years later.
So forgettable that you seem to not remember his real name Corn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T9DxIj1GSTc
Min Min- Ramen Time
Joker- The Masked Rebel
Hero- Heroic Encounter
Byleth- The Ashen Demon
Edit more titles
King K Rool- The Rivals
Isabelle- All in a Day's Work
Wouldn't that depend on the contents of the trailer? For example I don't think anyone quite imagined Kencineroar to be revealed in the same trailer so it probably would have been different should they have gotten different trailers

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Woah woah woah, do we think the SMRPG remake is that far along in development?
Looking at the TGS schedule just now, Microsoft and Square Enix will be presenting one after the other on the 23rd of September. What if we get the SMRPG remake/sequel announcement at Square's block in TGS? I mean, Koei Tecmo's showcasing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity in their TGS block.
You all talk about "the" remake/sequel like it's a known thing rather than rumors. Why. What makes you so sure there is a follow-up game. I feel like every character support thread I visit, people are talking about "the upcoming remake/follow-up" to their game as if it's a sure thing.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I do think that Master Chief would be MEGA EXCITING, like THE THING to pair with Geno for a Smash Bros E3 announcement: Geno being "the Nintendo fan favorite/long awaited character", Chief being "the gaming icon that nobody expected". Geno/Chief combo would have stolen E3, even without new hardware from Nintendo.

THAT SAID, I'm not so sure how much I buy into Chief as of this moment. It relies so heavily on Master Chief Collection coming to Switch and to my knowledge we haven't had that much more beyond hearsay proving that to be anything more than rumor, whereas Geno has had an entire list of odd coincidences and such in his favor.

Despite the interview regarding Doom and the existence of the Vaultboy Mii (another Bethesda character that might have gone with Doomguy unless they really wanna keep "Id Software" front and center separate from Bethesda), I'd argue there's more in favor of Doomguy being in and the interview being a lie/deflection all along. I honestly DOUBT it, but you have to admit: We KNOW Doom Eternal is coming to Switch but it's gone missing despite being announced. Perhaps (adjust your tin foil hat for this one) Smash has something to do with it or there is some Super Switch coming with beefed up hardware that Doom Eternal is waiting to take advantage of? Plus there's the whole Cacomallow debate still in play.

And the last bit that will surely light a few fires if I haven't lit a fire already: I... tend to trust Imran when he said something along the lines of expecting more Nintendo characters this time around. I know people are expecting "a Capcom fighter, a Namco fighter, etc etc" but... don't be heartbroken if the characters are something more like "a Zelda fighter, a Pokemon" and the most Namco we get is a Ms. Pac-man echo fighter rather than "The Lloyd". That's kinda where I'm setting my expectations right now and yeah, there's very few fighters that would really set me off and make me not want them.

But I'm definitely prepared for "Geno and 8 aka the E3 couple" to be "the big ones" and the rest of them barring any surprise "bonus fighters" or additional Echo fighters, most of the remaining fighters will be Nintendo characters/more Nintendo characters than people are expecting. It would also fit in with Smash's hype cycle psychology of "Save the best for somewhere in the middle instead of last"

D

Deleted member

You all talk about "the" remake/sequel like it's a known thing rather than rumors. Why. What makes you so sure there is a follow-up game. I feel like every character support thread I visit, people are talking about "the upcoming remake/follow-up" to their game as if it's a sure thing.
Nah dude, it’s all more hypothetical scenarios if the rumors are real... I’m pretty sure we are all aware that these are just rumors as mentioned by Fatman and Slender... I have no idea what makes these rumors likely behind the scenes, but if they’re likely, they’re likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So just don’t listen them. There are tons of vocal idiots in our community... giving each one the time of day is a bad idea. No need to double down on defensive posts
Because it deserves to be called out. This weird recent contrarian idea that getting characters that the fanbase has wanted as far back as Melee is less desirable than getting HPV on your eyelids is just full on Flanderization of the Smash fanbase itself. We have physical evidence from Nintendo itself that people have been requesting characters like Geno and Crash since literally before Melee and we now have this growing narrative that this would unironically be bad? We saw grown men crying over K. Rool and Banjo but actually getting someone like Dante after 15 years is somehow undesirable? Again, it's the duality of the Smash fanbase and how it can never be satisfied, even when it gets what it literally wants.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
The characters themselves definitely aren't boring but in the sense that they have now became some of the most discussed names in the marginally small time they have been viewed to be on the table, it can be beating a dead horse a little bit. The reveal will completely reinvigorate everything though. Like before Cloud was revealed, there was all the BS surrounding how no one thought Square would play ball when 7 was literally the final fantasy that ripped itself from Nintendo and was even the best known one and was one of the most well known games of all time. But Nintendo not only got an FF character but they got Cloud specifically. Then practically everyone forgot about what was once said with the closest but if acknowledgement it got was how people were just generally surprised at the reveal. Granted its kind of different but it still shows how revealing these characters completely level the playing field.

I wouldn't exactly say most requested characters are just generic anime swordsman tbh. The only way they would be is if they were another FE character who could plausibly be a cop out like Leif. The only characters that are requested quite largely who aren't in your predictions IIRC are Isaac and Sora and it's quite apparent that Isaac has way more latent potential and Sora has a completely different type of sword.

Most characters who just don't stand out aren't acknowledged. Tonnes of people want the characters you want (even if a large number of a certain few of them are due to bandwagons that recently got traction due to a spike in discussion about them) and I assume it's just a vocal minority.
Hey, Leif could actually be really interesting. In Thracia 776 (his main game) he can only use swords. The light brand (his personal weapon) is magical and can shoot light. But in Genealogy of the Holy War (the first game he appeared in) he can become the the “Master Knight” class which he rides a horse and can use every single weapon in the game. That includes all melee (sword, lance, axe) all range (bow, every type of magic) and even staffs (healing, warp, and other nasty effects).

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I think there are definitely characters that make sense and are likely, but what we should all expect is the complete unexpected. Sakurai always aims to surprise more often than not. No one expected Joker nor Terry whatsoever and look they got in over picks people thought were essentially locks. Geno, Dante, Lloyd, Crash, and Master Chief are all characters I feel we may expect (or at least the general Smash community thinks a lot of these characters makw sense).

Sure people will hate on Geno or Lloyd and so on, but a lot of these aforementioned make sense and seem somewhat expected and predicted. The only thing we should expect for one or two characters in the pass is the unexpected. Obviously I think there will be fan favorite characters like Geno, but I think there will definitely be some unexpected surprises.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean being entirely fair I think Golden Sun genuinely has a lot going for it (which I assume is what you are referring to) but I get what you mean. Do I doubt a Mario RPG remake has been HEARD about? Not really, just given how exactly the rumor broke through multiple disconnected people. Does that mean it's actually real? No, its a rumor, and a rumor that we really have no concrete reason or backing to actually believe, and I don't really understand why portions of the thread are so keen on jumping on it being real.

Because it deserves to be called out. This weird recent contrarian idea that getting characters that the fanbase has wanted as far back as Melee is less desirable than getting HPV on your eyelids is just full on Flanderization of the Smash fanbase itself. We have physical evidence from Nintendo itself that people have been requesting characters like Geno and Crash since literally before Melee and we now have this growing narrative that this would unironically be bad? We saw grown men crying over K. Rool and Banjo but actually getting someone like Dante after 15 years is somehow undesirable? Again, it's the duality of the Smash fanbase and how it can never be satisfied, even when it gets what it literally wants.
"Well you see, those characters aren't getting in BECAUSE people want them! Don't you know Nintendo is actively looking to spite the Smash fanbase and only adding characters that were barely requested by anyone? Being a popular character is a BAD THING now, because Nintendo is run by contrarians like me!"

Seriously, if you showed these people just the Smash 4 additions (a roster I don't particularly like mind you) they would have an aneurysm over how much of it was GASP CHARACTERS PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANTED.

• Rosalina
  • Palutena
  • Little Mac
  • Shulk
  • MEGA MAN?
  • PAC-MAN?
  • MEWTWO, LUCAS, AND ROY?
  • CLOUD?!?!!?
  • BAYONETTA?

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
What HGV is doing is clout-chasing bull**** and reminds me of the kind of crap Sabi would pull, and I am so against it that it isn't funny. She's posting this vague image and going around like, "Nintendo doesn't care what you want. They'll only give you fanservice if it makes them money," paraphrased and not verbatim.

I keep telling y'all not to give her any attention, man. Just don't. Even if her information ever checks out, her behavior is repulsive. She doesn't deserve the limelight, much like Sabi didn't deserve his.
I really think this image """hint""" is just some random BS she posted that can't actually be solved. Whenever the next character is revealed, people will fit the square peg in the round hole and find a way to link it back to the image no matter who it is.
I often ask myself "How did this community let MandyCan happen?" As in, how did somebody who was obviously using the Twitter trick get so much traction for so long? I realize now that HGV69 is that but so much worse because she literally deletes her wrong predictions RIGHT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE'S EYES and no one notices or cares and keep pointing at the time she posted something that was vaguely correct.

D

Deleted member

I really think this image """hint""" is just some random BS she posted that can't actually be solved. Whenever the next character is revealed, people will fit the square peg in the round hole and find a way to link it back to the image no matter who it is.
I often ask myself "How did this community let MandyCan happen?" As in, how did somebody who was obviously using the Twitter trick get so much traction for so long? I realize now that HGV69 is that but so much worse because she literally deletes her wrong predictions RIGHT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE'S EYES and no one notices or cares and keep pointing at the time she posted something that was vaguely correct.
So in conclusion, let’s never talk about her “leaks” ever again. Honestly no surprise that she put some vague image hint just so she can send people on a wild goose chase.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Except you're equating literally everyone that wasn't "wanted" or "expected" automatically to Byleth and Plant, which is pretty freaking insanely super duper dumb. And how the **** was Incinceroar a curve ball anyways? Plant and Byleth, sure, but a new Pokemon was a pretty safe bet for anyone that wasn't believing the Grinch Leak. Pokemon is literally the epitome of a safe pick. Hell, one of the counterpoints to the Grinch Leak was that it DIDN'T have a Pokemon.

The funny thing is that while Byleth was controversial, there are still plenty of Byleth players online, probably more so than 80% of the characters that people deem less controversial. And then you relegate those players to simply having Byleth as pockets, when there is no information suggesting such. Yeah, in tourneys Byleth is rare and relegated to a pocket most of the time. But it's arguably even worse for K. Rool, Ridley, and even Banjo; because you don't see those characters in many top tier tournaments at all. And all of them have a decent amount of online play following, especially K. Rool. So your point doesn't even ******* work, because there are plenty of Byleth players, pockets or not. Even Incineroar see's a healthy amount of play as well. Plant struggles, but even then there is a following there; even if I don't like him as a addition.

But what about the other "unexpected" characters that you conveniently ignore; Joker and Terry. Because you can't seriously be arguing that those characters were "actually really safe bets". Joker is one of the most used characters in tourneys and on top of that see's a ton of play online as well, he was generally extremely well received too. While Terry did have a bit of a mixed reaction at the beginning, it did turn around rather quickly after people actually saw him in action. Most of the community on here, 4chan, and even ******* gamefaqs usually vote Terry as the best DLC, because he had a lot of value in him. Sure he may not see as much play as Joker, but still very well received.

Like I said before, brushing all "unexpected" characters in the same vein as someone like Plant or Byleth is just stupid. That's like me saying there are barely any Simon/Richter players hence, Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo are also not mained by a ton of people.

People don't criticize your pass because it's too boring, but because it's too predictable (outside of the likes of Chief); and filled with characters that take up a sizable chunk of speculation. People like to bring up the fact that Sakurai stated he wants Geno in Smash as a huge boon for him, but then the same people ignore the fact that Sakurai has also stated he likes helping out less popular series through Smash too. And conveniently all the people who listen to Sakurai for their favorite character, forget about that second statement. I mean Min Min literally started this pass out, and not a lot of people were expecting her before March. Your pass literally consists of 5 popular series, and with people saying that they "deserve" to get into Smash ever since the start of Ultimate, and pretty much everyone outside of Chief had a section of time where people were 100% convinced that they are coming. And most of the evidence you post is kind of flimsy anyways, and mostly consist of "Insiders have been hearing this, my source tells me this", and while I do believe that 3 of your characters have a good chance of making it in, I doubt that there's any accurate information on the entirety of the Fighters Pass; even amongst insiders. That's likely just for Sakurai and top Nintendo officials right now.

On top of all that, they've also really cracked down on leaks too. And if Geno isn't Fighter 7, then we can say Nintendo is probably throwing out a ton of leakbait left and right.

Because the Smash fanbase doesn't consist of 1 person? Like for example there are plenty of people who want Geno in Smash, but likewise plently of people who want someone like Sora. If Sora somehow got in and Geno comes as a Mii costume, do you think the entirety of the Geno fanbase would be "well Sora is a big request so I personally am very happy", likewise the same for someone like Crono. We don't really even need an answer, just look at the reactions to when Hero got announced, here. Do you think the entirety of the Smash fanbase wants characters that people have wanted for 15 years? Obviously not, there are plenty of people who want characters that made there debut in the last 5 years. Likewise, there are plenty of people who want an indie character to get in as a fighter.

And then we discuss the difference in regions too. Certain characters like Dante or Geno are clearly ahead of their rivals in the West; but in Japan you see Monster Hunter, exceeding Dante in fan polls. Geno is a good chunk less popular usually placing outside the top 10, and Sephiroth and 2B tend to beat him in a lot of polls. Waluigi barely has a following. Rex tends to be second right below Sora most of the time, and Arle tends to place quite high alongside Crash. Saber and Reimu aren't seen as meme picks by a lot of people, and usually place in the top 10.

Again, ultimately we get to the point where you can pretty much justify almost every character pick out there. And discounting anyone is pretty dumb in and of itself. No matter if they're new characters/old characters/"meme" picks/or over represented. At the same time, no matter who gets added; a group of people around the world will always be salty.

D

Deleted member

Hello Smashboards, it's your favorite theorycrafter Fatmanonice with a quick update on DLC for Smash Ultimate's Fighter Pass 2

- Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief are still on their way. I look forward to playing as all of them while enjoying my favorite food, vanilla ice cream.

- Geno is coming out next next next next week. Next last penultimate first second fifth week to be precise. Something something amiibo waves, something something September 25th, something something Japan will do something.

- Super Mario RPG remake is happening now. Just like Geno in Smash. It just manifested itself into existence like a Spirit Bomb. Nintendo will no doubt sell at full price as they are incapable of making products be worth less than $60.

- Sakurai is adding Smash Ultimate 2's roster as bonus fighters to Smash Ultimate. This includes Lololo, Lalala, Tralala (Echo), and Malala (peace activist).

- Me and Sakurai had a conversation the other day and I'm getting added to Smash Ultimate as the first bonus character. Basically as Popo but a super heavyweight. He told me my final smash is getting doxxed. I'm not very happy with it, but it is what it is.

Fatmanonice, signing out
lol I actually thought you were Fatman at first just joking around, seems like something he'd do

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Earlier today (and right now actually), I've come across two YouTube videos discussing the SMRPG remake/sequel rumor. Besides some insiders having teased Geno or SMRPG on their respective Twitter accounts a few weeks back, there was then that moment where Rogersbase, during the last Japan Time Podcast, spoke of the supposed rumor someone tweeted about. The two videos I came across helped clear out that query I had in regards to what tweet did Rogersbase saw (I think it was the one of Sharon). As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has mentioned before, the SMRPG potential remake/sequel rumor was one of the thing that among connoisseurs of it was collectively decided to be kept under wraps for very good reasons. Unfortunately the cat got out of the bag recently and it's begun to make the rounds. I'm hopeful that a SMRPG remake/sequel does pan out (or at least them adding SMRPG to the SNES NSO Library), and tie it in with revealing Geno as CP 7. Regardless, my expectations remain in-check. I'm sure Nintendo's got a few more announcements underway, and we've got some banger titles coming up soon.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would say it's credible for a lot of reasons:

-Square openly commenting on having a strong desire to remake classic NES/SNES RPGs.

-Both Trials of Mana and Octopath Traveler being very successful according to Square itself.

-The Switch being an absolute port monster for Square RPGs.

-Geno appearing in official Square Enix memos as far back as the summer of 2018 thanks to the Seven Squares leak.

-SMRPG now only one of two major SNES first party franchise games not on the NSO.

-Mario and Square Enix Smash Amiibos coincidentally being rereleased together later this month.

-Mario 35th anniversary this year.

-SMRPG 25th anniversary next year.

-A number of people coming out in the past week to say that they have heard SMRPG remake/sequel rumors since at least the spring.

-Cacomallow still not disproven.

-Ironically, a common argument against Geno was that Square wouldn't be interested in him because he couldn't be used to shill something recent but, if the remake rumor is true, he's technically promotional character just like Hero was for Dragon Quest XI S.

-7 was all but confirmed to supposed to be an E3 reveal. A Geno in Smash/SMRPG remake combo honestly makes too much sense.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So for this amiibo theory, there would be reprints of the Cloud amiibos to go with Hero? Right now, the only confirmed reprints are the Zelda champions. Could this still come later?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Hey, Leif could actually be really interesting. In Thracia 776 (his main game) he can only use swords. The light brand (his personal weapon) is magical and can shoot light. But in Genealogy of the Holy War (the first game he appeared in) he can become the the “Master Knight” class which he rides a horse and can use every single weapon in the game. That includes all melee (sword, lance, axe) all range (bow, every type of magic) and even staffs (healing, warp, and other nasty effects).
Yeah he could but I was just thinking about what Sakurai would do. If he were to add Leif he would function pretty similarly to Marth imo. There was even that whole rumour of Leif being scrapped in favour of Roy as a Marth clone. If he was unique probably some kind of thunder tome on side b, rewarp tome on Up B and Sword of Light attack on B which should look exactly like it should from the game. I suppose a better example would be Kris but even after fully playing through Thracia a long time ago, I still think that he would probably be relegated to clone due to mixture of lack of priority and just how FE has typically been represented.

I would unironically not mind Kris despite how many people hate him tbh. A customisation option done on the CSS with a Pokemon Trainer like moveset but with different weapons being toggled on the CSS to change the moveset would be kinda neat

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Just dropping this tweet here that I saw on Twitter. This showed up on my feed, and I couldn't help but share it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Truer words have literally never been said. :geno::geno::geno:

[Also, if you never heard of Erik Shaw, you really should. He's a chill dude and he makes some funny video game parodies. He is also a supporter of Geno as well and is hoping for his inclusion, just like the rest of us].

Droodle

Smash Lord
I will say that the chances of Nintendo swapping around characters is extremely low. Even if it's for something like revealing Geno with SMRPG or revealing Chief with MCC. Ultimately they can always do what they did with Byleth. Byleth had his DLC announced alongside Smash, they can always just do that, So if Geno is character 7, he was always meant to be character 7 and so on... They aren't swapping him around.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
You know what else deserves to be called out? Not letting people have their own opinions. The "Smash fanbase" isn't a hive mind where every person has to think only of the impact a character will have on the collective fanbase. People can, and should, want characters for their own reasons. I mean, I don't recall a large portion of this thread being particularly welcoming of Hero (or even when we only thought it was Erdrick), despite Dragon Quest being a massive property with just as sizable a fanbase, many of whom were thrilled to see the franchise included in Smash. Dragon Quest was a huge get for Smash, but that didn't really matter, because it was still in direct competition with Geno, and - at the time - was seen as a "better luck next time". So this thread was rightfully upset about it. I don't recall you saying "well, Dragon Quest is a big deal for the entirety of the Smash fanbase, so we shouldn't be upset about it". No, because it was an affront to Geno. It wasn't about the whole Smash fanbase then.

The fact that you always have to hyperbolize like this - "ugh, not wanting a character that's on my list is equivalent to getting HPV on your eyelids" - is absolutely ridiculous, and frankly ironic while simultaneously shouting "Smash fanbase bad!".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except you're equating literally everyone that wasn't "wanted" or "expected" automatically to Byleth and Plant, which is pretty freaking insanely super duper dumb. And how the **** was Incinceroar a curve ball anyways? Plant and Byleth, sure, but a new Pokemon was a pretty safe bet for anyone that wasn't believing the Grinch Leak. Pokemon is literally the epitome of a safe pick. Hell, one of the counterpoints to the Grinch Leak was that it DIDN'T have a Pokemon.

The funny thing is that while Byleth was controversial, there are still plenty of Byleth players online, probably more so than 80% of the characters that people deem less controversial. And then you relegate those players to simply having Byleth as pockets, when there is no information suggesting such. Yeah, in tourneys Byleth is rare and relegated to a pocket most of the time. But it's arguably even worse for K. Rool, Ridley, and even Banjo; because you don't see those characters in many top tier tournaments at all. And all of them have a decent amount of online play following, especially K. Rool. So your point doesn't even ******* work, because there are plenty of Byleth players, pockets or not. Even Incineroar see's a healthy amount of play as well. Plant struggles, but even then there is a following there; even if I don't like him as a addition.

But what about the other "unexpected" characters that you conveniently ignore; Joker and Terry. Because you can't seriously be arguing that those characters were "actually really safe bets". Joker is one of the most used characters in tourneys and on top of that see's a ton of play online as well, he was generally extremely well received too. While Terry did have a bit of a mixed reaction at the beginning, it did turn around rather quickly after people actually saw him in action. Most of the community on here, 4chan, and even ******* gamefaqs usually vote Terry as the best DLC, because he had a lot of value in him. Sure he may not see as much play as Joker, but still very well received.

Like I said before, brushing all "unexpected" characters in the same vein as someone like Plant or Byleth is just stupid. That's like me saying there are barely any Simon/Richter players hence, Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo are also not mained by a ton of people.

People don't criticize your pass because it's too boring, but because it's too predictable (outside of the likes of Chief); and filled with characters that take up a sizable chunk of speculation. People like to bring up the fact that Sakurai stated he wants Geno in Smash as a huge boon for him, but then the same people ignore the fact that Sakurai has also stated he likes helping out less popular series through Smash too. And conveniently all the people who listen to Sakurai for their favorite character, forget about that second statement. I mean Min Min literally started this pass out, and not a lot of people were expecting her before March. Your pass literally consists of 5 popular series, and with people saying that they "deserve" to get into Smash ever since the start of Ultimate, and pretty much everyone outside of Chief had a section of time where people were 100% convinced that they are coming. And most of the evidence you post is kind of flimsy anyways, and mostly consist of "Insiders have been hearing this, my source tells me this", and while I do believe that 3 of your characters have a good chance of making it in, I doubt that there's any accurate information on the entirety of the Fighters Pass; even amongst insiders. That's likely just for Sakurai and top Nintendo officials right now.

On top of all that, they've also really cracked down on leaks too. And if Geno isn't Fighter 7, then we can say Nintendo is probably throwing out a ton of leakbait left and right.

Because the Smash fanbase doesn't consist of 1 person? Like for example there are plenty of people who want Geno in Smash, but likewise plently of people who want someone like Sora. If Sora somehow got in and Geno comes as a Mii costume, do you think the entirety of the Geno fanbase would be "well Sora is a big request so I personally am very happy", likewise the same for someone like Crono. We don't really even need an answer, just look at the reactions to when Hero got announced, here. Do you think the entirety of the Smash fanbase wants characters that people have wanted for 15 years? Obviously not, there are plenty of people who want characters that made there debut in the last 5 years. Likewise, there are plenty of people who want an indie character to get in as a fighter.

And then we discuss the difference in regions too. Certain characters like Dante or Geno are clearly ahead of their rivals in the West; but in Japan you see Monster Hunter, exceeding Dante in fan polls. Geno is a good chunk less popular usually placing outside the top 10, and Sephiroth and 2B tend to beat him in a lot of polls. Waluigi barely has a following. Rex tends to be second right below Sora most of the time, and Arle tends to place quite high alongside Crash. Saber and Reimu aren't seen as meme picks by a lot of people, and usually place in the top 10.

Again, ultimately we get to the point where you can pretty much justify almost every character pick out there. And discounting anyone is pretty dumb in and of itself. No matter if they're new characters/old characters/"meme" picks/or over represented. At the same time, no matter who gets added; a group of people around the world will always be salty.
I guess I'll do this by paragraph:

-Pretty much everyone was expecting Decidueye until Verge gave it a hard no. Yes, Incineroar was a curve ball according to the fanbase.

-Byleth being a common pocket in tournaments is kind of the point I'm making. Online play is totally different and there's little stakes. Despite Ridley and K. Rool being kind of bad, they still get used in tournament play, a lot. Whether it's at the highest level is irrelevant, you have a lot of people who are literally paying to play tournament matches with these characters despite being unanimously subpar.

-Joker was pretty much the only unexpected character that the Smash fanbase didn't whine about. Let's be honest. Plenty of people were very openly upset about Terry, resulting in months of back and forth of people who actually knew who he was and those that thought he was a Literal Who.

-"It's too predictable." If this is who the evidence points to, why should I lie and insert other characters? For example, with Capcom, the evidence favors Dante by an absurd amount. It's such a blowout it's more believable that Capcom doesn't get a character at all than Dante, and I don't even like or want Dante. Why would I argue someone else? For the sake of spontaneity and eccentricity? Sure, I could say Phoenix Wright or Arthur but that would fly in the face of what's actually out there. "Here's who the evidence currently points to." I don't like it because it's too predictable and not wacky enough. "Um... Sorry?" I'm not going to lie about what I've found and seen to make certain characters appear more likely than they actually are. It's miserable ironic that people basically get mad at me for not lying to them in regards to this.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Just dropping this tweet here that I saw on Twitter. This showed up on my feed, and I couldn't help but share it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Truer words have literally never been said. :geno::geno::geno:

[Also, if you never heard of Erik Shaw, you really should. He's a chill dude and he makes some funny video game parodies. He is also a supporter of Geno as well and is hoping for his inclusion, just like the rest of us].
Oh, I remember Erik! He was a big Banjo supporter back before his reveal. Haven’t seen much from him since Banjo got in, but I’m happy to see he’s still willing to stand up for the Geno fans. I still remember this video he made back during base game!
It always makes me happy to see more “recognizable” internet people show their support for Geno/Mario RPG. From GaMetal, to Jerma985, to The Completionist, to RichaadEB. Really helps keep the positive mood and hope going!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know what else deserves to be called out? Not letting people have their own opinions. The "Smash fanbase" isn't a hive mind where every person has to think only of the impact a character will have on the collective fanbase. People can, and should, want characters for their own reasons. I mean, I don't recall a large portion of this thread being particularly welcoming of Hero (or even when we only thought it was Erdrick), despite Dragon Quest being a massive property with just as sizable a fanbase, many of whom were thrilled to see the franchise included in Smash. Dragon Quest was a huge get for Smash, but that didn't really matter, because it was still in direct competition with Geno, and - at the time - was seen as a "better luck next time". So this thread was rightfully upset about it. I don't recall you saying "well, Dragon Quest is a big deal for the entirety of the Smash fanbase, so we shouldn't be upset about it". No, because it was an affront to Geno. It wasn't about the whole Smash fanbase then.

The fact that you always have to hyperbolize like this - "ugh, not wanting a character that's on my list is equivalent to getting HPV on your eyelids" - is absolutely ridiculous, and frankly ironic while simultaneously shouting "Smash fanbase bad!".
It's not a matter of opinions, it's a matter of being aggressively contrarian and antagonistic. "Oh, Crash would be bad because he's popular." "Geno's a bad pick because people want him." You see this A LOT. Like I pointed out, the hypocrisies practically line up out the door. "Popular picks are bad but curve balls are bad too. Remember, if Sakurai chooses casual picks he doesn't care about the 'real fans' and if he goes with hardcore picks he's just pandering/shilling." It's exhausting and a big reasons why a good chunk of people can't stand the Smash fanbase.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
It's not a matter of opinions, it's a matter of being aggressively contrarian and antagonistic. "Oh, Crash would be bad because he's popular." "Geno's a bad pick because people want him." You see this A LOT. Like I pointed out, the hypocrisies practically line up out the door. "Popular picks are bad but curve balls are bad too. Remember, if Sakurai chooses casual picks he doesn't care about the 'real fans' and if he goes with hardcore picks he's just pandering/shilling." It's exhausting and a big reasons why a good chunk of people can't stand the Smash fanbase.
THIS!

I got this s*** a lot when Banjo & Kazooie were included in this game. As most of you know, Banjo & Kazooie were some of my most wanted characters before they were revealed. I flipped my s*** when they were revealed and to this day, no other reveal has topped that reveal for me in terms of personal hype. But of course my hype didn't really last long, as the Smash community ruined my hype as usual. So many people were calling him boring, saying how we Banjo fans "forced" Sakurai in to putting them in the game, and just a lot of mean and hurtful things toward our fanbase when a majority of us did absolutely nothing wrong. I just don't get what is so damn hard for people to be happy for a fanbase and congratulate them for getting their character. I'm not by any means saying you have to 100% like the character, but at least be happy for the people that did want him instead of saying rude things toward the character and our fanbase.

Moral of the story is, the Smash community will just never be satisfied. They will continuosly complain about more anime swordsman, while also complaining about some obscure character getting included, while ALSO complaining about some heavily demanded character getting included. Its just one big never ending cycle. I know once Geno gets revealed, he's going to face backlash no matter what, so its just best to ignore the haters, and just enjoy our star boi finally being in this Ultimate game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom