• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Y'know, if I could actually work towards bringing Geno to Smash on my own, physically or otherwise, I'd probably feel a lot better. But it's never been directly in my hands, and that's what bothers me, I think. Sure, I voted for him when that was an option, but I'm not signing anything, I'm not spending money on deals between companies, etc.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's hard to say what Nintendo's planning but my whole mindset has been for a long time that Geno's reveal would not be straight forward. As soon as I learned about the SMRPG remake, my thoughts have been that it and Geno would be revealed at the same time. This is a big reason why I've been doubting a "Sakurai Presents" specifically to reveal Geno. Isabelle was revealed along with New Horizons and that was during a General. What's super annoying about all this is that a Geno/SMRPG remake combo would have been a very obvious E3 reveal but with General Directs likely being toast until Spring 2021, it's hard to imagine the alternatives for such an announcement. It's the same problem I have about a hypothetical Master Chief announcement. Master Chief in Smash is a HUGE deal; they're not going to shadowdrop arguably one of the most shocking Smash reveals ever so how are they going to do it? That's where we're stuck at right now.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to say what Nintendo's planning but my whole mindset has been for a long time that Geno's reveal would not be straight forward. As soon as I learned about the SMRPG remake, my thoughts have been that it and Geno would be revealed at the same time. This is a big reason why I've been doubting a "Sakurai Presents" specifically to reveal Geno. Isabelle was revealed along with New Horizons and that was during a General. What's super annoying about all this is that a Geno/SMRPG remake combo would have been a very obvious E3 reveal but with General Directs likely being toast until Spring 2021, it's hard to imagine the alternatives for such an announcement. It's the same problem I have about a hypothetical Master Chief announcement. Master Chief in Smash is a HUGE deal; they're not going to shadowdrop arguably one of the most shocking Smash reveals ever so how are they going to do it? That's where we're stuck at right now.
given how nintiendo has been with waiting long periods of time, i wouldn't be surprised if it was still an e3 announcement, just for e3 2021. (unless that gets canceled to in which case they wait until e3 2022)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looking at the TGS schedule just now, Microsoft and Square Enix will be presenting one after the other on the 23rd of September. What if we get the SMRPG remake/sequel announcement at Square's block in TGS? I mean, Koei Tecmo's showcasing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity in their TGS block.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
given how nintiendo has been with waiting long periods of time, i wouldn't be surprised if it was still an e3 announcement, just for e3 2021. (unless that gets canceled to in which case they wait until e3 2022)
I sincerely doubt it's going to be delayed until E3 2021. We've already seen that everything has been pushed back 3-4 months and there's decent evidence that the SMRPG remake was probably going to be one of the big holiday games. Summer releases turned into fall, fall into winter, etc. I don't think the delays are as monstrous as some people are thinking.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time Nintendo still needs to sell the pass and they never attend the Tokyo Game Show as seen in this year's schedule that continues. https://www.siliconera.com/tokyo-game-show-2020-schedule/ The only way FP7 can be revealed at this point is via a Sakurai Presents.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I sincerely doubt it's going to be delayed until E3 2021. We've already seen that everything has been pushed back 3-4 months and there's decent evidence that the SMRPG remake was probably going to be one of the big holiday games. Summer releases turned into fall, fall into winter, etc. I don't think the delays are as monstrous as some people are thinking.
Woah woah woah, do we think the SMRPG remake is that far along in development? I mean I guess I never thought about the release date for it because it always seemed like this intangible, too good to be true rumour.

So in a Covid world, would that put SMRPG to March-April? I wonder how that ties into Geno since Nintendo announces games very close to their release date now, yet Geno is likely to be the next Smash fighter.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
About twenty four (24) years ago, SMRPG released on the SNES (JP release on March 9th, 1996). Unfortunately by the time that the N64 released shortly after (JP release on June 23, 1996), relations between Squaresoft (now Square Enix) and Nintendo had deteriorated due to the later having opted for a new console dependent on cartridge games rather than CDs.

Fast forward to the present day; Nintendo and Square Enix have enjoyed a healthy partner relationship for quite a many years (since the GC/GBA days), and as we see the return of the original (now in HD) N64 launch title making a comeback in a much needed Super Mario collection, one can only wonder. Could the coming of the Super Mario 3D All Stars game coincide with the SMRPG remake/sequel, and Geno's inclusion in SSBU rumors we've been reading about for months; could they materialize this upcoming week (week in which Super Mario 64 returns)?

Ah, to speculate over video games and lore without end. :2gud:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wonder if they’re rearranging the release order of characters, which could explain the radio silence? So if the next character or two aren’t “shadowdrop” material like say Geno or Master Chief, they’ve pushed up someone like Mipha or Yuri instead.

But obviously the characters they’ve had to push up weren’t as far along in development, so it’s taken more time to get them presentable.

Genome

Smash Cadet
Trolling
Hello Smashboards, it's your favorite theorycrafter Fatmanonice with a quick update on DLC for Smash Ultimate's Fighter Pass 2

- Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief are still on their way. I look forward to playing as all of them while enjoying my favorite food, vanilla ice cream.

- Geno is coming out next next next next week. Next last penultimate first second fifth week to be precise. Something something amiibo waves, something something September 25th, something something Japan will do something.

- Super Mario RPG remake is happening now. Just like Geno in Smash. It just manifested itself into existence like a Spirit Bomb. Nintendo will no doubt sell at full price as they are incapable of making products be worth less than $60.

- Sakurai is adding Smash Ultimate 2's roster as bonus fighters to Smash Ultimate. This includes Lololo, Lalala, Tralala (Echo), and Malala (peace activist).

- Me and Sakurai had a conversation the other day and I'm getting added to Smash Ultimate as the first bonus character. Basically as Popo but a super heavyweight. He told me my final smash is getting doxxed. I'm not very happy with it, but it is what it is.

Fatmanonice, signing out

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hello Smashboards, it's your favorite theorycrafter Fatmanonice with a quick update on DLC for Smash Ultimate's Fighter Pass 2

- Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief are still on their way. I look forward to playing as all of them while enjoying my favorite food, vanilla ice cream.

- Geno is coming out next next next next week. Next last penultimate first second fifth week to be precise. Something something amiibo waves, something something September 25th, something something Japan will do something.

- Super Mario RPG remake is happening now. Just like Geno in Smash. It just manifested itself into existence like a Spirit Bomb. Nintendo will no doubt sell at full price as they are incapable of making products be worth less than $60.

- Sakurai is adding Smash Ultimate 2's roster as bonus fighters to Smash Ultimate. This includes Lololo, Lalala, Tralala (Echo), and Malala (peace activist).

- Me and Sakurai had a conversation the other day and I'm getting added to Smash Ultimate as the first bonus character. Basically as Popo but a super heavyweight. He told me my final smash is getting doxxed. I'm not very happy with it, but it is what it is.

Fatmanonice, signing out
If this is just to punk Blocked Content, then fantastic

a random user

Smash Journeyman

Fatmanonice, signing out
are you currently able to confirm or deny that your dlc stage (sold for a limited time until march 2021) is indeed a can of spinach

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
FATMAN MAINS RISE UP!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What HGV is doing is clout-chasing bull**** and reminds me of the kind of crap Sabi would pull, and I am so against it that it isn't funny. She's posting this vague image and going around like, "Nintendo doesn't care what you want. They'll only give you fanservice if it makes them money," paraphrased and not verbatim.

I keep telling y'all not to give her any attention, man. Just don't. Even if her information ever checks out, her behavior is repulsive. She doesn't deserve the limelight, much like Sabi didn't deserve his.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
What HGV is doing is clout-chasing bull**** and reminds me of the kind of crap Sabi would pull, and I am so against it that it isn't funny. She's posting this vague image and going around like, "Nintendo doesn't care what you want. They'll only give you fanservice if it makes them money," paraphrased and not verbatim.

I keep telling y'all not to give her any attention, man. Just don't. Even if her information ever checks out, her behavior is repulsive. She doesn't deserve the limelight, much like Sabi didn't deserve his.
It's insane how many people are listening to her and saying she got many things right when there is no proof of that.
Some of the claims some people thought she got correct... wasn't the games she was talking about.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Gonna make a hot guess; the SMRPG remake/sequel will also be a holiday title for this year. Along with HW: AoC, it'll be the perfect Christmas gift. :2gud:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If the Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is being held off for 2021, Sakurai could just have the game revealed simultaneously since they basically did the same thing for Dragon Quest 11 S for the Switch at E3 last year. I'm still confident we're getting FP7 revealed via Sakurai Presents as all the other major options are exhausted

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Today is September 13, which also means today is the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. Little did they know just how big an impact this game would make. This game essentially saved the video game market and it is easily one of the most important games of all time.

Here's to 35 more years of this wonderful franchise! [And let's hope for Geno's return as well].

Super Mario 35th.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Fatmanonice, signing out
I'll never understand the logic that my predictions are "boring." How are five characters that were once collectively dismissed by the fanbase as pipedreams "boring?" The crushing irony is that your typical Smash fan's wishlist is typically half anime swordsmen and then they look at someone like Chief and think, "wow, how boring." Beyond this, there's all the people that cried and threw a fit at most of the picks for the Fighter's Pass because they were arguably curve balls. It's the weird duality of the Smash fanbase:

-Characters that the fanbase actually wants are boring.

-Characters that the fanbase doesn't want are bad and prove Sakurai isn't listening to fans.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'll never understand the logic that my predictions are "boring." How are five characters that were once collectively dismissed by the fanbase as pipedreams "boring?" The crushing irony is that your typical Smash fan's wishlist is typically half anime swordsmen and then they look at someone like Chief and think, "wow, how boring." Beyond this, there's all the people that cried and threw a fit at most of the picks for the Fighter's Pass because they were arguably curve balls. It's the weird duality of the Smash fanbase:

-Characters that the fanbase doesn't want are bad and prove Sakurai isn't listening to fans.
What happened to Wah? Is he still being talked about?

a random user

Smash Journeyman

then someone "leaks" a character people weren't talking about, people think about it, the character gets demand, then goes from "who wants them?" to how boring of course everyone wants them

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I wonder if they’re rearranging the release order of characters, which could explain the radio silence? So if the next character or two aren’t “shadowdrop” material like say Geno or Master Chief, they’ve pushed up someone like Mipha or Yuri instead.

But obviously the characters they’ve had to push up weren’t as far along in development, so it’s taken more time to get them presentable.

Hopefully this ages poorly and the next character is revealed either this week or next, but... I can actually see this if Geno and Chief (assuming they are both coming for real and it isn't anyone else like Doomguy or someone) are THAT tied to announcements (Mario RPG remake/MCC Switch equivalent).

But yeah... I can see them going "Well, these characters NEED to be announced alongside their respective game announcements, so delay the two of them until a better time to announce their games comes, uhhhhh HEY OTHER ZELDA AND POKEMON FRIEND! Yeah, you two! Come up further in the line!"

BotW2 Zelda and Rillaboom/Inteleon/Cinderace/New Pokemon Snap kid with camera and car or whoever comes up instead and they have to wait until they are presentable before revealing them. Sucks, but that's the world right now.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Today is September 13, which also means today is the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. Little did they know just how big an impact this game would make. This game essentially saved the video game market and it is easily one of the most important games of all time.

Here's to 35 more years of this wonderful franchise! [And let's hope for Geno's return as well].

View attachment 285489
As you may know, today is Mario's 35th anniversary, so for celebrate it I just find this great fanart with a Ton of Mario characters (Included a certain Star Guardian :geno:) in the Mario&Luigi style: https://twitter.com/superkenny_png/status/1305141583185154050?s=20

Sorry Mario. Get Geno in Smash, THEN I'll celebrate.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll never understand the logic that my predictions are "boring." How are five characters that were once collectively dismissed by the fanbase as pipedreams "boring?"
I don’t think it’s boring, I think it’d be incredible. And top the first pass in every manner.

Which is why I think it won’t happen like that. Too good to be true :4pacman:

There’s a distinct lack of disappointment which is a staple for the end of a smash cycle.

Not callin you a liar, of course. I’d love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

The characters themselves definitely aren't boring but in the sense that they have now became some of the most discussed names in the marginally small time they have been viewed to be on the table, it can be beating a dead horse a little bit. The reveal will completely reinvigorate everything though. Like before Cloud was revealed, there was all the BS surrounding how no one thought Square would play ball when 7 was literally the final fantasy that ripped itself from Nintendo and was even the best known one and was one of the most well known games of all time. But Nintendo not only got an FF character but they got Cloud specifically. Then practically everyone forgot about what was once said with the closest but if acknowledgement it got was how people were just generally surprised at the reveal. Granted its kind of different but it still shows how revealing these characters completely level the playing field.

I wouldn't exactly say most requested characters are just generic anime swordsman tbh. The only way they would be is if they were another FE character who could plausibly be a cop out like Leif. The only characters that are requested quite largely who aren't in your predictions IIRC are Isaac and Sora and it's quite apparent that Isaac has way more latent potential and Sora has a completely different type of sword.

Most characters who just don't stand out aren't acknowledged. Tonnes of people want the characters you want (even if a large number of a certain few of them are due to bandwagons that recently got traction due to a spike in discussion about them) and I assume it's just a vocal minority.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Fatmanonice, signing out
Is this trolling or what? You’re using his avatar.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
God I only just noticed. This is a first I've seen not only for smashboards, but other sites where you can't freely change your username (I know you can do it with premium). Probably a joke but dunno if it's reportable but even if it is a joke it may be. If it is to dunk BC then that's pretty funny although inspect element would have been easier. It's only one right click away

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
God I only just noticed. This is a first I've seen not only for smashboards, but other sites where you can't freely change your username (I know you can do it with premium). Probably a joke but dunno if it's reportable.
I think he’s baiting Blocked Content.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
God I only just noticed. This is a first I've seen not only for smashboards, but other sites where you can't freely change your username (I know you can do it with premium). Probably a joke but dunno if it's reportable.
Ok I was confused because it looked like he was replying to himself at first lol.

I think he’s baiting Blocked Content.
Ah, ok. It doesn’t take much to bait him. I’m sure we’ll see another video about the leaker Fatmanonice shortly.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What happened to Wah? Is he still being talked about?
The situation hasn't changed for Wah. My thoughts were that because of his longevity in insider circles that he was going to be 6 but that obviously didn't happen. Despite this, Waluigi hasn't gone away and part of why I entertain bonuses. I compare him to Steve? When Banjo was revealed, serious conversation for Steve? all but evaporated, more or less confirming what two Microsoft ambassadors told Sabi in the spring of 2019 that Steve? and Minecraft content was very likely "deliberate misinformation" to keep Banjo from being leaked. In another vein, he's also like Ryu in that he's still around but nobody is totally sure why. Nothing has hard deconfirmed either character yet.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Today is a really special day for a TON of People (Including Myself). Today is the 35th anniversary of Mr. Video Game itself, Mario. I have a lot of Memories with This 24 years old fat man.
  • Entering paints, swimming, going in slides, launching Bowser to literal bombs, Flying,Making crazy Jumps,speedrunning, Making a classic BLJ,Taking a Metal or Invisibility caps or Just finding a new star or watching a giant castle in Super Mario 64
  • Killing Goombas, Koopas, Buzzy Beetles, Spinies, Taking Fire Flowers or Stars, trying to not be killed by a Hammer Bro, Going to a warp zone, unveiling that 7 bowsers were fake or destroying a bridge with an axe while I get disappointed when peach was in another castle in Super Mario Bros
  • Flying with a Tanooki, Taking a boot, a Hammer suit or Frog suit, trying to not be eated by big bertha, going to the background or a stage or finding a new secret in Super Mario Bros 3
  • Taking a Cape, Find a new Yoshi or exit, fighting a new koopaling, going to the Star Road or spinning in Super Mario World
  • Creating the first thing which comes to my mind in Super Mario Maker or Super Mario Maker 2
  • Flying around planets, getting a omega unique Power Up, Hearing a sad/emotive story with Rosalina, having a space themed adventure or taking a star piece in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Having a Tiny Mario (Or even a paper thin mario) but great adventure, unfolding plots and knowing new partners in Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The thousand year door
  • Seeing what crazy idea a developer could have in a unusual 2D Game like Super Mario Bros 2 or Mario Land and Mario Land 2
  • Having an Odyssey in which everybody has a hat, taking a new capture or even customizing Mario in Super Mario Odyssey
  • Making perfect attacks with 2 classic characters in Any Mario & Luigi
  • And finally, the reason why we are here. Having a Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure, Repairing the Star Road, Searching a Frog coin, finding that a plumber, a turtle, a girl, a cloud and a doll can beat a army of Metal and find the seven stars in Super Mario RPG
Wow, 35th years had bring us a lot of Adventures which I love with all my heart, as a part of Jump Up Super Star said:
"No one else could make it this far". No matter who it is, there isn't a character who has made more than Mario, not even Mickey Mouse. With all this said I just need to say one thing: Happy Birthday Plumber Boy. I hope that more success would be near

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

It’s pretty bizarre especially since Dante & Master Chief were considered impossible until this year. I imagine a lot of the people who hate that group of characters want the same old 1st party picks that everyone (including myself) want like Dixie, Waluigi, Isaac, etc...

Hopefully this ages poorly and the next character is revealed either this week or next, but... I can actually see this if Geno and Chief (assuming they are both coming for real and it isn't anyone else like Doomguy or someone) are THAT tied to announcements (Mario RPG remake/MCC Switch equivalent).

But yeah... I can see them going "Well, these characters NEED to be announced alongside their respective game announcements, so delay the two of them until a better time to announce their games comes, uhhhhh HEY OTHER ZELDA AND POKEMON FRIEND! Yeah, you two! Come up further in the line!"

BotW2 Zelda and Rillaboom/Inteleon/Cinderace/New Pokemon Snap kid with camera and car or whoever comes up instead and they have to wait until they are presentable before revealing them. Sucks, but that's the world right now.
I’d like for it to age poorly too lol. But I could see that being a possibility.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Not to mention people have started to do some digging and found that not only are a lot of her followers bots but many are likely accounts she created to interact with herself. Like I said the other day, this is on top of her putting out certain things she likely wasn't given permission to and the growing question of the ethics of how she gets the information to begin with. It really does reek of Sabi: having some legitimate information but getting it and putting it out there in wildly unethical ways.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I’d like for it to age poorly too lol. But I could see that being a possibility.
The only thing that gives me pause about the possibility is that all these "people who would know" teasing Geno/Super Mario RPG. Would they do that if he was indeed delayed/reshuffled alongside the timing of the announcement of a game?

Like I said, I can see it. I can see the next two characters originally meant for a big confetti laden reveal at E3 being SO tied to equally confetti laden GAME announcements that without those game announcements the reveals just don't work so they had to reshuffle the reveals, hence the wait for the next character aka waiting for them to be developed to a presentable state. Especially if it IS some oddball like "New Pokemon Snap kid with camera and car Bowser Jr style" then it's like "Oh boy, a Min Min type situation where development might actually take LONGER due to complexity."

But between the teasing and the Gamestop thing.... SOMETHING got out. Then brings the question: Is Geno still coming next and we just gotta sit tight and keep our pants on, or did he get delayed/reshuffled but word of his inclusion/E3 plans got out and "people who would know" just sort of ASSUMED he was next without knowing of the delay?

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
While I’d ultimately love a pass like Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief for the number of people that want them, I think it’d be more exciting to me personally if the actual fighters we got were none of those, even better if they’re ones no one have even talked about seriously.

I also think there’s a decent chance of this happening as I’m not sure many people really expected Joker, Terry, or Byleth. Banjo always seemed like the least likely to me, but at the same time somehow the most possible. (Which I know doesn’t make much sense.). Hero I’m torn on, I don’t think it was super surprising, but to me not as unexpected as the three above.

Because of all the crap you guys have been through all this time, I do want Geno in Pass 2, and no offense to anyone who wants them, but I’m rooting against all of those other ones, plus Ryu Hayabusa. I’ll be happy if they get in of course, but I want to see some really off the wall picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom