• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
View attachment 285328
Ok, let's go through everything questionable about this step by step.

• If the presentation WAS on Monday I'm almost certain they would have announced it on Friday like they did for Min-Min's presentation back in June. Nintendo doesn't like making announcements on weekends, even for presentations.
  • Twitter Rando, enough said
  • Said Twitter Rando doesn't even fully trust his source and is saying to take it with a large grain of salt
  • Did you guys forget Nintendo is picking the characters? And that the two first party characters they HAVE chosen were from Switch games? No offense but I REALLY can't see Nintendo picking someone even as popular as Isaac without some kind of reason/new game. (I'm saying this as someone who does think Camelot is probably working on a new Golden Sun, but I also dislike backing non-concrete rumors/speculation with more non-concrete rumors/speculation.)
It'd be better said in Spanish what I think:
No le creo ni mierda a ese cabron.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Damn bro that’s some radical art. I’d pay you to teach me to draw like that.
Thanks. Just a messy, little doodle, though. That Geno kinda came out awkwardly, but I didn't really put as much effort into him as I could have. Couldn't really figure out how to refine his shape without making him clash with the paint-y forest too much, and it was already on one layer so I just left it as it was instead of trying to go back and do him again.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
By the time we get an announcement, I'd probably already be finished with the second sheet of the spreadsheet I'm working on.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry, I've been gone a long time.

What happened to bring up the chances?
A lot, honestly. Currently in a precoffee fugue but here's the stuff that has happened since January:

-SMRPG still not on the NSO.

-Geno Mii costume still missing.

-Cacomallow still hasn't been disproven.

-SMRPG remake rumors have technically been around since last December but a lot of people are admitting that they coincidentally all got this information around April. A lot of people, including myself, opened up about hearing them and talked about it earlier this week.

-Gamestop made a video over the summer accidentally saying Geno was coming to Smash. Proceeded to try to go through one of the most comically half assed cover ups in the history of gaming.

-Geno has been mentioned by a scores of the biggest insiders that cover Nintendo stuff over the summer. Many of these people were openly talking about Geno the night before there was "supposed" to be a major Nintendo presentation on July 20th.

-Two spirit events specifically focused on Square Enix properties. So far only three third parties have had special spirit events: Capcom, ARC Systems and Square.

-Paper Mario got a spirit event, arguably taking him out of the running for playable.

-Mario and Square Enix Smash Amiibo are planned to rerelease together later this month and we've known this since May.

-Very high profile Mario tournament coming up in November. They felt the need to announce it two months in advance.

-A ton of evidence supporting Mii Costume Guy's costume predictions came up over the summer. Mii Costume Guy was the one who said Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes would eventually happen last July.

-"Spirits deconfirm" hard BTFO by Min Min.

I think that's most of the big talking points for this year alone, never mind everything that happened last year.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
A lot, honestly. Currently in a precoffee fugue but here's the stuff that has happened since January:

-SMRPG remake rumors have technically been around since last December but a lot of people are admitting that they coincidentally all got this information around April. A lot of people, including myself, opened up about hearing them and talked about it earlier this week.

-Gamestop made a video over the summer accidentally saying Geno was coming to Smash. Proceeded to try to go through one of the most comically half assed cover ups in the history of gaming.

-Geno has been mentioned by a scores of the biggest insiders that cover Nintendo stuff over the summer. Many of these people were openly talking about Geno the night before there was "supposed" to be a major Nintendo presentation on July 20th.

-Two spirit events specifically focused on Square Enix properties. So far only three third parties have had special spirit events: Capcom, ARC Systems and Square.

-Paper Mario got a spirit event, arguably taking him out of the running for playable.

-Mario and Square Enix Smash Amiibo are planned to rerelease together later this month and we've known this since May.

-Very high profile Mario tournament coming up in November. They felt the need to announce it two months in advance.

-A ton of evidence supporting Mii Costume Guy's costume predictions came up over the summer. Mii Costume Guy was the one who said Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes would eventually happen last July.

I think that's most of the big talking points for this year alone, never mind everything that happened last year.

Nice rundown Fatmanonice!

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Was just about to post the tweet itself...

Basically, Monday is the big day, the character will be from Nintendo, and will come from (quoting @7NATOR 's translation here) "a little represented and much loved franchise that nobody expects".
he seems to like Geno a lot reading some of his tweets. He thinks Geno will be the next character but whether that’s changed with the latest info he got given is yet to be seen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 285313

4chan are freaking out about this and posted that Sora is in smash

Then mocking Geno, of course
-Shinji Hashimoto, the brand manager for Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts, says that there's no plans to have Sora in Smash in the summer of 2019.

-Imran Khan hard speculates that Disney would be a huge obstacle for Sora to get into Smash in early 2020.

-Nomura himself says that there's no major plans for the KH series on Nintendo platforms in the foreseeable future. Specifically says he wants to focus on other series on Nintendo platforms less than a week ago.

-Pokemon posts funni meme.

4chan: "SORA'S IN!"

-Geno fanbase points out dozens of things over several years that heavily suggest Geno is coming including Sakurai's literal endorsement of the character.

4chan:

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
-Shinji Hashimoto, the brand manager for Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts, says that there's no plans to have Sora in Smash in the summer of 2019.

-Imran Khan hard speculates that Disney would be a huge obstacle for Sora to get into Smash in early 2020.

-Nomura himself says that there's no major plans for the KH series on Nintendo platforms in the foreseeable future. Specifically says he wants to focus on other series on Nintendo platforms less than a week ago.

-Geno fanbase points out dozens of things over several years that heavily suggest Geno is coming including Sakurai's literal endorsement of the character.

4chan:
Yep, sounds about right regarding 4Chan and Gamefaqs

Griselda

Smash Lord
Just got up to go to the bathroom, but had a weird feeling that I needed to check back here for Geno news.. But apparently nothing happened? Maybe it's like a premonition or something. Gonna head back to bed and see how it turns out when I actually get up again later.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

4chan:
Dixie confirmed for Smash!

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

4chan:
Oh, I literally forgot that interview of Hashimoto. If somebody want it: https://mobile.twitter.com/Forest_ier/status/1132956324671709184

Genome

Smash Cadet
The whole 'campaign' for Geno in Smash and Min Min getting in has made me think seriously about the roster choices relative to the cast of the game's character. In other words, why don't we have more Smash picks who AREN'T the main character of their games? I mean, there are plenty of cases in which even Smash fans, who respect the 'protagonist rule/guideline' support non-main characters. Geno is the most prominent, but I'm referring to cases in which a side character/protagonist is deliberately chosen over the main one. Geno doesn't really count because literally every other party member from Super Mario RPG bar Mallow is already in the game. A more interesting case is Porky from Earthbound, as he is the most supported newcomer from the MOTHER series despite the protagonist of the first game, Ninten, completing the trio of protagonists from all 3 games if he got in. But it makes sense as to one is more supported than the other, after all, who would you choose without context: A third psychic boy who is basically a clone of another character in every way, or a egomaniac 1000 year old kid in a spider mech who used his private pig-themed military to take over an entire continent? While I did 'disqualify' Geno in a sense, this argument applies to him too. Would you rather pick a middle aged white dude with fire balls and a hammer or a militarized angel-possessed doll that shoot stars out of it's arms and uses weaponized versions of the Sun and Aurora Borealis? It just comes down to the fact that protagonists tend to be some of the most boring characters in their games either to serve as a template for normalcy in comparison to the weirder characters or just commercial reasons.
Travis Touchdown is an example of this to me. I understand why you make your protagonist a white guy with dudebro and weeb humor in a market filled with white guys with those comedic tastes, but I find Travis to be one of the most boring choices from No More Heroes (although I understand he's still a good person). I would pick Shinobu Jacobs, Jasper Bratt Jr., or even the new antagonist for NH3, Fu, over him. Shinobu in particular I could see as somewhat feasible, being a recurring character in all the games and likely appearing again in NMH3, but I doubt she would get in unless with specific director influence (like Min Min). An example in FP1 of a boring protagonist would have to be Byleth. I don't like any FE characters, but the protagonists in particular are as boring as watching paint dry.
So can we look forward to more non-main characters? Hopefully. Min Min has already broken that glass ceiling, which will live on in the decision making process for the next Smash games. And before anyone says Spring Man isn't the protagonist...come on man.
  • He's the most prominent character on the box art
  • He's playable in every demo Nintendo offers for the game
  • He has the most promotional art out of any character
  • He was the first character ever revealed for ARMS
  • He has a freaking evil version of himself. Yeah, you know the ones that all Nintendo protagonists have like Dark Link and Dark Samus? He has a rival in the form of Spring-Tron, an evil robot version of himself, which NO OTHER CHARACTER in ARMS has. And outside of the Nintendo comparison, Spring-Tron is most similar to Metal Sonic. And Sonic is most certainly the protagonist of his franchise (I don't even like Spring Man by the way but I have a point to prove).
So yes, Min Min broke the rule/guideline, and with luck we'll see more examples of this in the future, whether it be in FP2 or Smash 6.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, and this may be controversial for this thread, but I do believe if Sora does get included, Geno won't, since both characters require approval from Square, and vice versa. But, I don't really think Sora is all that likely. Like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice brought up, their is a lot of barriers standing in Sora's way compared to the massive amount of evidence in Geno's favor. And not only that, but I feel Disney is an important factor when it comes to the Kingdom Hearts series. I know their are plenty of Kingdom Hearts original characters, but would that even represent the franchise properly? I feel the main selling point of the KH series are all the Disney locations you can go to, as well as the Disney and Final Fantasy characters. If you were to get rid of all of that, then I really don't see the point in wanting to get Sora included.

If you're a Sora supporter that also happens to be a Geno supporter, I'm not trying to kill your dreams or anything. Even though I personally don't think Sora is getting in, it doesn't mean he won't. I just feel like their is a lot of things going against Sora atm compared to Geno's mountain of evidence supporting his inclusion.

Reactions: QQS

Genome

Smash Cadet
Not to derail but my god literally 90% of the comments are racist. It's like every insecure white 15 year old on the internet decided to Avenger's Assemble on this video to spam the same joke nonstop of comparing monkeys to black people. I just hope that these sad, sad people get help instead of turning into more Kyle Rittenhouses.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The whole 'campaign' for Geno in Smash and Min Min getting in has made me think seriously about the roster choices relative to the cast of the game's character. In other words, why don't we have more Smash picks who AREN'T the main character of their games? I mean, there are plenty of cases in which even Smash fans, who respect the 'protagonist rule/guideline' support non-main characters. Geno is the most prominent, but I'm referring to cases in which a side character/protagonist is deliberately chosen over the main one. Geno doesn't really count because literally every other party member from Super Mario RPG bar Mallow is already in the game. A more interesting case is Porky from Earthbound, as he is the most supported newcomer from the MOTHER series despite the protagonist of the first game, Ninten, completing the trio of protagonists from all 3 games if he got in. But it makes sense as to one is more supported than the other, after all, who would you choose without context: A third psychic boy who is basically a clone of another character in every way, or a egomaniac 1000 year old kid in a spider mech who used his private pig-themed military to take over an entire continent? While I did 'disqualify' Geno in a sense, this argument applies to him too. Would you rather pick a middle aged white dude with fire balls and a hammer or a militarized angel-possessed doll that shoot stars out of it's arms and uses weaponized versions of the Sun and Aurora Borealis? It just comes down to the fact that protagonists tend to be some of the most boring characters in their games either to serve as a template for normalcy in comparison to the weirder characters or just commercial reasons.
Travis Touchdown is an example of this to me. I understand why you make your protagonist a white guy with dudebro and weeb humor in a market filled with white guys with those comedic tastes, but I find Travis to be one of the most boring choices from No More Heroes (although I understand he's still a good person). I would pick Shinobu Jacobs, Jasper Bratt Jr., or even the new antagonist for NH3, Fu, over him. Shinobu in particular I could see as somewhat feasible, being a recurring character in all the games and likely appearing again in NMH3, but I doubt she would get in unless with specific director influence (like Min Min). An example in FP1 of a boring protagonist would have to be Byleth. I don't like any FE characters, but the protagonists in particular are as boring as watching paint dry.
So can we look forward to more non-main characters? Hopefully. Min Min has already broken that glass ceiling, which will live on in the decision making process for the next Smash games. And before anyone says Spring Man isn't the protagonist...come on man.
  • He's the most prominent character on the box art
  • He's playable in every demo Nintendo offers for the game
  • He has the most promotional art out of any character
  • He was the first character ever revealed for ARMS
  • He has a freaking evil version of himself. Yeah, you know the ones that all Nintendo protagonists have like Dark Link and Dark Samus? He has a rival in the form of Spring-Tron, an evil robot version of himself, which NO OTHER CHARACTER in ARMS has. And outside of the Nintendo comparison, Spring-Tron is most similar to Metal Sonic. And Sonic is most certainly the protagonist of his franchise (I don't even like Spring Man by the way but I have a point to prove).
So yes, Min Min broke the rule/guideline, and with luck we'll see more examples of this in the future, whether it be in FP2 or Smash 6.
Tbh I think Min Min pretty much established that rule. For a start Sakurai felt the need to actively point out why Springman wasn't the protagonist for those who were expecting him on that basis. He also even pointed out that ARMS has all characters as the MC just due to how it functions as a game. It's safe to say you need to be a protagonist in order to get in unless they are already playable but Min Min pretty much just confirmed it's existence and there are more layers to it than first thought.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to derail but my god literally 90% of the comments are racist. It's like every insecure white 15 year old on the internet decided to Avenger's Assemble on this video to spam the same joke nonstop of comparing monkeys to black people. I just hope that these sad, sad people get help instead of turning into more Kyle Rittenhouses.
YouTube has always been like this. At least YouTube now puts an effort into deleting racist videos, unlike the early days when the only thing it bothered to consistently moderate was porn. Nazi propaganda? Be our guest! Animal torture? Go right ahead! People literally dying on camera? Whatever gets those clicks! Nude paintings? ABSOLUTE. DEGENERACY!!!!!

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
YouTube has always been like this. At least YouTube now puts an effort into deleting racist videos, unlike the early days when the only thing it bothered to consistently moderate was porn. Nazi propaganda? Be our guest! Animal torture? Go right ahead! People literally dying on camera? Whatever gets those clicks! Nude paintings? ABSOLUTE. DEGENERACY!!!!!
I’m genuinely scared for what the world is going to look like socially and politically in 10 years.

If Geno could grant 1 more wish (aside from coming to Smash Bros), it should be to make the world more tolerant and understanding.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m genuinely scared for what the world is going to look like socially and politically in 10 years.

If Geno could grant 1 more wish (aside from coming to Smash Bros), it should be to make the world more tolerant and understanding.
Fatmanonice Invites More Hate Mail: Episode 33.

Wow. Pretty amazing how Facebook and YouTube have hard steered towards inspiring the rise of fascism around the world upon abandoning the collectivist ideals they were created upon and making everything about money and advertising. Isn't that crazy guys?

MattX20

Smash Hero
To get back on topic, we need to look at the last 3 weeks of the month with the deadline for the next wave of Smash amiibos approaching. We know that the Mario 3D All Stars collection releases next week, and the week after is a big focus on Age of Calamity. With all of Nintendo's big 2020 plans more or less revealed, the DLC's the only card they've yet to play. And going off the previous 2 DLC fighter releases, we had their presentations in the 3rd or 4th respective weeks of their release months. So, this week has a pretty decent chance for FP7's reveal. And no, it's highly unlikely that sales for Mario 3D All Stars will be cannibalized as the previous 2 DLC fighters demonstrated at least a week gap between reveal and release

MattX20

Smash Hero

Happy Birthday Mario! The celebration has yet to finish.
The celebration will likely continue on throughout the rest of the month, if not the year

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Time to binge-watch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal reactions in preparation for whatever may happen in the coming days. :nifty:

Reactions: TTF

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman

I... REALLY DID miss a lot.

I'm happy he's seeming likely!

T2by4

Smash Lord

Let's say this person isn't LARP'ing. Who could it be? It's definitely human. I originally thought doomguy with the image on the left looking like lips yelling, but the colors on the right don't seem to match up. I'm stumped.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
After seeing this retweet, it certainly does seem that Nintendo's strategy for announcing their top ranking titles via shadow drops. Again, a shadowdrop Smash Direct, or reveal of CP 7 next week wouldn't feel out of the norm (according to this anomalous year).

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Let's say this person isn't LARP'ing. Who could it be? It's definitely human. I originally thought doomguy with the image on the left looking like lips yelling, but the colors on the right don't seem to match up. I'm stumped.
The right part looks like the shoulder pad of an armor to me. Also the reply where she shows that someone found out make it look like they have a short name, like 7 letters at the very most.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Fatmanonice Invites More Hate Mail: Episode 33.

Wow. Pretty amazing how Facebook and YouTube have hard steered towards inspiring the rise of fascism around the world upon abandoning the collectivist ideals they were created upon and making everything about money and advertising. Isn't that crazy guys?
Facebook was never good.
Youtube kind of was.
Also, it will probably get worse as resources get decimated by population increasd, global warming and the incontrollable waste of resources by capitalism.
That's all I'll say because it... perturbs some users to criticize capitalism. And this is also the geno thread.

It might be. It also looks like censored porn.
I dislike this twitter person

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I question the validity of any “leak” showing what’s supposedly a screencap from a character reveal trailer. I don’t think these kinds of leaks have ever been legit, and I question how they would get a screencap in the first place.

Plus the mouth kinda looks like a real mouth, just really pixelated. Idk. To go along with this though, a person replying to the tweet mentioned the image on the bottom-right looks like Samus wearing a sleeveless power suit.

edit: but it does kinda seem like censored...gross stuff...someone else replying to the tweet thought that too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom