• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I haven´t played sunshine in more than a decade. Sunshine was definitely a disappointment in it´s time. Hard to do a BESTGAMEEVER/DEFINEGAMING trick twice in a row. But out of all the post mario´s, it´s the best one ( hated playing galaxy on the wii, because I was massively dissapointed in the wii)

( No dream too medium rare plays on the background)
Is this hope?

Be careful what you wish for....
I don´t know what I want, specially if Square´s behind it. FF7R proved that they just can´t be trusted with doing a simple thing. Then again, it depends what studio is behind it....
FF7R is really good, just a shame it’s split into multiple parts.
If SMRPG is remade or a sequel is created I would prefer anyone but Nintendo actually develop it. Either Square, Platinum, Namco-Bandai have my vote as long as it’s translated into an action rpg style game.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..I mean, I just don't really see the need for a SMRPG remake. Sure, there are a few things that you could do to help some of the game's problems like letting items stack for instance, but minor things like that could just be in a touched-up port rather than a full remake. I know I've mentioned things like fully 3D environments for dramatic camera angles and extra cutscenes and such, but that's all just something I'd think about if they decided that they just had to do a remake, which I don't think they do.

SMRPG, for the most part, is a pretty solid and well put-together game. It's why it's still so popular after all this time. In my opinion it set the standard for turn-based combat, and I think that's backed up by the way the games after it all built upon its battle system, especially in regards to action commands.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
FF7R is really good, just a shame it’s split into multiple parts.
If SMRPG is remade or a sequel is created I would prefer anyone but Nintendo actually develop it. Either Square, Platinum, Namco-Bandai have my vote as long as it’s translated into an action rpg style game.
I disagree on ff7r being really good, I don´t think it´s a bad game by any means, but it´s very flawed in level design and narrative wise. Splitting into parts it´s the least of it´s flaws and understandable for the most part.
It´s good but not great. I wanted to love that game but I really don´t want to play it again unless I play it with someone else. It could be I´m very attached to the original cause it changed my life and it´s my favorite game too.

Mario Rpg is also one of my top 10 favorite games and I really don´t see any of those developers doing a sequel or remake giving it the treatment and respect it deserves. Square has the trials of mana or the enix side that could do it great.

Platinum has way too many projects up on the air, and they just got into some big tencent money on them. I don´t think they´ll last as a name that´s a synonym with quality for very much long.
I don´t know about Namco. It´s kind of strange but I´d rather have some low name developers do the remake than a lot of these big companies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I saw a tweet askin’ people if they’d like an SMRPG remake or sequel and I saw some people worried about a remake because of Paper Mario, and I started thinkin’ and figured I’d share my thoughts about all that PM stuff since I think others feel similar to that (also while I’d like an SMRPG remake a sequel would be cooler since a remake is unnecessary, though I wouldn’t mind much either way personally, both would be cool):

Y’know I’m starting to think the lack of unique individual characters that belong to an existing race/species in the newer Paper Mario games is due to Tanabe or someone higherup in the team.

Yeah there’s that rumor of Nintendo being hypocritical and overly paranoid in keeping brand recognizability/consistency that they don’t realize how making entirely new characters just does the same frickin’ thing if not worse, and I’m still kinda worried about that too, but you look at other Mario games including those that came after the supposed time the Mario Quality Assurance team was formed (which may have even just been after SMRPG due to enemies having the wrong names and stuff, according to a reddit post that was shared in here not long ago (not by me; Theguy123 found and shared it + AceAttorney9000 found a comment from the Reddit poster in it), the reddit dude seeming to have done his research though didn’t provide sources so eh but stuff seemed to line up), and they don’t seem to have this problem.

Dream Team still used characters like Private Goomp and the other two enemy characters who join him + the generic Toad NPCs were kept more in line with the usual Toads like the Reddit dude talked about (plus Popple appears and there are some variations of existing enemies even if not much); the M&L remakes still had unique, important Toad characters and such and had Private Goomp etc. even in Bowser Jr.’s Journey; Odyssey has that girl Goomba and they even had concepts of Glydon being a unique Waddlewing individual before they decided to make him a dinosaur thing; 3D World has those cat goombas; King Bob-omb returned in Super Mario Party and Mario Kart Tour; Toadette still exists; Miyamoto was cool with if not even in love with all the unique stuff in Odyssey and he himself likes bringing back some old characters like the Koopalings even if he likes to see new as well...

Heck, there’s even the fact Tanabe thought there weren’t many friendly races besides the Toads. Um, what? What about the Piantas and Nokis? The penguins from SM64 and Galaxy? The bees and maybe others I forgot from Galaxy? The rabbits? All the new ones from Odyssey? Those fairy girls in 3D World? Other humans if SMB3’s multiple kings are anything to go by? What about friendlier Wigglers etc., some of those enemies y’all aren’t using? Where the frick are the Yoshis?! It’s just weird, man.

So, yeah, I’m thinking Nintendo may be alright with unique individuals as long it’s clear they’re their own individual character of a species (with their own name and such) and not like a new redesign + the normal species they’re a part of appears in the game too maybe. Seems Paper Mario’s situation may just be due to Tanabe or some dumb Chief Creative Officer above him.

Also here’s the Reddit post I mentioned + a comment from the poster if anyone is curious; again, Theguy123 shared it here originally and AceAttorney9000 saw the comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/papermario...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm probably in the minority here, but if we get a Mario RPG remake, I'd prefer they kinda take a Link's Awakening approach and make the game feel more like a giant diorama than give it modern models and such.

zelda_links_awakening_nintendo_switch_03_ad_l.jpg

1_-YRHnkvN55d6aL-uwcpsMg.png

Sorta a middle ground between these, maybe with a bit more of a claymation style. I dunno. Would be an excuse to make it on a "budget" while keeping it faithful.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
given how square changed ff7's combat entirely i wouldn't be surprised if they did the same to mario rpg. at the same time octopath traveler and bravely default have done well, so the odds of them changing the combat seem to be 50/50. whether or not that is a good thing depends of how you prefer rpg combat, and what they change it to.
graphics are an easy area to say they would improve, namely that a bunch of mario enemy's are off model/ have the wrong name, i feel like its safe to say it would have the standard mario graphics style, or the heavily stylize it,. it is also highly likely they will rerecord the music. the more interesting thing would be how level designs might change a bit due to haveing a new camera or if they add any new areas, or maybe new party members like luigi

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I think Super Mario RPG's different artstyle compared to the Mario look at the time is part of its charm tbh, with its sprites resembling Donkey Kong Country more than Mario World. I wouldn't like to see it more on-brand. I think a Link's Awakening stylized approach would be the best since it would keep a unique artstyle compared to the standard Mario game these days, which I think is more loyal to the original.

With that said some of the enemies could def get a make over, not the original enemies, but the ones that were supposed to be based off Mushroom Kingdom enemies that ended up lost in translation.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm probably in the minority here, but if we get a Mario RPG remake, I'd prefer they kinda take a Link's Awakening approach and make the game feel more like a giant diorama than give it modern models and such.

View attachment 284583
View attachment 284582

Sorta a middle ground between these, maybe with a bit more of a claymation style. I dunno. Would be an excuse to make it on a "budget" while keeping it faithful.
Maybe the rumoured sequel could have a paper aesthetic or something then.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I dunno about the Link's Awakening style, to be honest. I got used to it by the end of the game, but it's still a little too cutesy and toy-like for my tastes. You could make an argument for it fitting LA because of the nature of the game's setting, but that doesn't really apply to SMRPG.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

View attachment 284583
View attachment 284582

Love this idea. I am 100% loving this idea. Regular 3d wouldn´t cut it. Maybe cel-shaded style could work. But there´s something special about early cgi 3d.
There´s this article about early 3d cgi that new 3d doesn´t have. The mario SGI MOD is absolutely amazing and what i´m talking about.
It´s also one of the things that I fear when Geno comes out for smash. His model will look weird because of Ultimate´s questionable lightning.
It´s one of the slight flaws from Ultimate.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Love this idea. I am 100% loving this idea. Regular 3d wouldn´t cut it. Maybe cel-shaded style could work. But there´s something special about early cgi 3d.
There´s this article about early 3d cgi that new 3d doesn´t have. The mario SGI MOD is absolutely amazing and what i´m talking about.
It´s also one of the things that I fear when Geno comes out for smash. His model will look weird because of Ultimate´s questionable lightning.
It´s one of the slight flaws from Ultimate.
My main worry about Geno's Ultimate model is his face. How expressive will he be, and will it clear the uncanny valley? ..And also will it actually look like his fighter render art? Young Link's face bothers me, for instance. To me, it looks rather like imperfectly-shaped clay and doesn't really resemble his render art. His hair also doesn't seem to be positioned on his head quite correctly.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You're making the claim that the casual players of the Smash community don't know who Geno is and/or they wouldn't want him in Smash? The casual players definitely know who Geno is, and they probably want him in the game too. Who do you consider to be the hardcore players? Honestly, that sounds like it's gatekeeping who can or can't want Geno in the game. I mean, yeah, you can argue that only the hardcore fanbase wants him, but I don't see the evidence for that since Geno happens to be all over Smash speculation, hardcore or otherwise.

On a separate note, Europe got SMRPG through the Wii VC as well. As we all know the Wii outsold most consoles, so if the amount of people who looked at the Wii Shop Channel is even remotely comparable to half of the Wii's install base, then SMRPG got much more exposure through the VC than it did through its original sales run on the SNES. That's a lot of people who don't play Smash that could've played SMRPG. And that's not even counting the SNES Mini.
I´m not saying that there is no casual that doesn´t want him. You are missing my point (with a hardcore fan I mean people like us that is deep in the speculation scene)

If you had to found it randomly, I highly doubt it sold on pretty much every console if you know what mean. Granted, we both are talking by assumption here, but I find it likelier that majority did not find it then find it statistically if you had to find it by chance concidering people here in Europe most likely had/has no fricking idea what the game was or even existed. Your comment is exactly what I mean with the Miles Morales example. Beliving our bubble that is much larger than it actually is which is that it's known worldwide by most people (as in majority casual players) around the world knows and loves the game. And due to what I mentioned earlier.... It´s highly unlikely no matter how good Wii sold.

Maybe I´m wrong (and I wish that I am) but concidering the circumstance (aka had to find it out randomly in a sea that contains thousands of chests to the point that it easily under shadowed smaller games ) I can´t see it being a big deal here in Europe, I highly doubt it. Had it had an original European release date, chances are that people here would know about it, from either own purchase, or someone that has played it if they are a casual player (as in someone that just randomly buys a game from time to time) Its due to this that its smarter to do a remake, before doing a sequel even though the first one has aged phenomenally.

I´m not saying that a sequel to SMRPG is never gonna happen. But its truly jumping the gun to believe that a sequel will happen before a remake. But I promise you this and you can screenshot this if you want. If a sequel truly happens before a remake. the first thing I do is that I go to this thread and admit that I was wrong.

By your example, the casual audience is this case are people who do not read the comics, play the games, nor watch the cartoons, but only see the movies? Spider-Man doesn't get movies because those casual movie-goers ask for them, Spider-Man gets movies because his fanbase asks for them. The fanbase are the people who read the comics, play the games, watch the cartoons, and are the driving force of the character's popularity. They always have been, and always will be. Does this mean that the casual movie-goers don't ask for more of those movies? No, it doesn't. They enjoy what they saw and ask for more, too.

Speaking as someone that knows the industry, and is a Marvel and DC fan, Miles Morales has only been in one Spiderman game and it's on the PS4 game, and the comic-book sales are to the brink of bad sales that if Disney and Warner Brothers would shut down the comics department, it wouldn´t be that shocking. It's even said that the supposed reboot that DC Comics are doing, is the last-ditch effort to see if comics are worth doing. The only "comics" that are currently striving are mangas (particularly My Hero Academia) even though its still a "niche entertainment". Spiderman animated series has been canceled left and right. The Earth Mightiest Heroes and Teen Titans are fan-favorite series that fans have asked for to return for years, but it has never happened. Young Justice came back for one season on the DC Universe app, but there is zero knowledge about a 5.... and that season came out around a year) So your argument about "its because of the hardcore fans that it happens" does not exactly work on this regard.

Let me ask you this....Why do you think Warner Brothers for example only did Superman and Batman movies until Marvel took a gamble? Its because they knew that those properties print money because of their worldwide status (see The Dark Knight trilogy as the perfect example). The same goes with Spiderman at that time.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Guys, some people on GameFAQs seem to think that the image in the following link is enough to dismiss Ryce's initial post:

https://imgur.com/HIEscKY
TBH that's kind of cos it is. Don't mean any offence to anyone or anything but after more research it seems Ryce really doesn't know anything and the things I was told were sourced by PapaGenos from people who watched the video to point towards Ryce knowing anything was the post he made when Shinobi teased BK which was not at all indicative of whether he actually had smash info as it was just him filling in the blanks as to why Shinobi did tease Banjo due to him being an Era old timer so to speak

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
TBH that's kind of cos it is. Don't mean any offence to anyone or anything but after more research it seems Ryce really doesn't know anything and the things I was told were sourced by PapaGenos from people who watched the video to point towards Ryce knowing anything was the post he made when Shinobi teased BK which was not at all indicative of whether he actually had smash info as it was just him filling in the blanks as to why Shinobi did tease Banjo due to him being an Era old timer so to speak
Counterpoint: I mean, it could definitely be nothing, yeah, and there's probably additional information that I'm not seeing, but taking that image by itself - just saying 'lol' doesn't actually mean much either way, to be honest. On top of that, let's say this person was legitimately hinting at a Geno reveal in Smash.. there's no way they'd just say "Yeah, I was hinting at a Geno reveal in Smash".

I'm not gonna cling to the possibility of it being a hint as a lifeline or anything considering how much else we have to look into, but I'm not gonna just toss it out yet, either.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Geno is big within the Smash community, but the game isn´t exactly big outside of it.
The only people who unironically say this are people who only know Geno through Smash speculation. Because SMRPG was very popular upon release, and has been very popular in re releases. There’s a reason why SMRPG and Earthbound are the two SNES games still in major demand for NSO and it’s not because of Smash speculators. There are many vocal Geno detractors who try to gaslight Nintendo fans into thinking SMRPG is some really obscure game but it’s really not at all. It’s like saying Kirby 64 is some obscure niche game. It’s not. It just came out a long time ago and hasn’t gotten a remake. But in its time it was very popular and still remembered fondly by fans. It’s the same situation for SMRPG. Oh and why was it rereleased? Why did it make the cut for the SNES Classic when so many games didnt? It’s not because of Smash speculation either.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Counterpoint: I mean, it could definitely be nothing, yeah, and there's probably additional information that I'm not seeing, but taking that image by itself - just saying 'lol' doesn't actually mean much either way, to be honest. On top of that, let's say this person was legitimately hinting at a Geno reveal in Smash.. there's no way they'd just say "Yeah, I was hinting at a Geno reveal in Smash".

I'm not gonna cling to the possibility of it being a hint as a lifeline or anything considering how much else we have to look into, but I'm not gonna just toss it out yet, either.
Yeah they wouldn't but after said research I did, Ryce didn't even hint at Plant. He's not going to come out and admit it yeah but this is quite similar to what Hitagi did after they were being covered by YouTubers. The way it's laid out just seems to me that they think it's a real funny thing considering they have never actually leaked Smash. They did leak M V C: I, but that has absolutely no overlap with Nintendo as it didn't even release on Switch and it has even less overlap with Smash. Ryce honestly just seems to be speculating like the rest of us and i personally don't think he necessarily needs a spotlight shone over him when he probably doesn't want one.

It's not like Geno hinges on Ryce anyway. One piece of evidence going bad is completely fine. One thing I've seen people always act like is that when some evidence goes bad, they completely forget that he has other things going in favour of him. Not necessarily you but it's other people. Geno is likely based on other things which honestly hold up a lot stronger than a few coincidences that were bound to falter anyway, it's not like they are 'ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL IN SUCCEEDING IN THIS FUTILE RESISTANCE' or something like that.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Yeah they wouldn't but after said research I did, Ryce didn't even hint at Plant. He's not going to come out and admit it yeah but this is quite similar to what Hitagi did after they were being covered by YouTubers. The way it's laid out just seems to me that they think it's a real funny thing considering they have never actually leaked Smash. They did leak M V C: I, but that has absolutely no overlap with Nintendo as it didn't even release on Switch and it has even less overlap with Smash. Ryce honestly just seems to be speculating like the rest of us and i personally don't think he necessarily needs a spotlight shone over him when he probably doesn't want one.

It's not like Geno hinges on Ryce anyway. One piece of evidence going bad is completely fine. One thing I've seen people always act like is that when some evidence goes bad, they completely forget that he has other things going in favour of him. Not necessarily you but it's other people. Geno is likely based on other things which honestly hold up a lot stronger than a few coincidences that were bound to falter anyway, it's not like they are 'ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL IN SUCCEEDING IN THIS FUTILE RESISTANCE' or something like that.
Geno is - and apparently always has been - in a rather frustrating position in terms of potential evidence. Like every hint is a 'phantom clue' that doesn't really mean much on its own besides being a little odd, but when viewed through the lens of another clue, it looks somewhat different, and when you view those two after seeing another one etc. It's like putting together one of those huge 500+ piece puzzles, and the pieces are so small that individually they're just random blobs of color, but once you get about twenty of them together you start to think "Wait, maybe I know what this is". But because it has 500+ pieces, even those twenty that you think you're starting to understand are only a very small part of the whole picture.

But it feels a little different, now, too. I only joined in on Smash speculation comparatively recently, and even now I'm never the one to actually uncover or present information (other than that one thing about GameStop editing that video in stores). But even just in the time I've been here I've seen a ton of weird things pop up and be brought to the table by others here, and it feels like it's happening more frequently, as time goes on. Insiders or people with connections can backpedal or claim they're just joking all they want, but at this point I think it's guaranteed that something SMRPG-related is going to happen very soon. If it turns out that Geno isn't in Smash, then the 'joke' becomes something like 'haha, you thought Geno was in Smash, but actually he's in Mario Party' or something like that. I really doubt that everyone would suddenly be talking about SMRPG if nothing at all was going to happen with the game or its characters.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
This has started to circulate. Take as you will, I do want to see if I can find that user though.

Oh is this from Japan Time? That’s Rogersbase talking. He’s someone with enough insight where, if he’s bringing up a rumor as possible I’d say it’s worth looking at

Theguy123

Smash Lord
To be honest the square rumour could be true. Tanabe already implied in the paper mario interview that the mario and Luigi RPG series was not dead and that they had something in the works.

then there was that massive long post I shared last week that was from reddit where someone was going over the restrictions and breaking down everything and they said Nintendo bought out the mario and Luigi RPG rights and then brought up square Enix.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Imagine if after 20+ years, Nintendo and Square Enix decided to go back to the drawing board and finish what was initially going to be the true Super Mario RPG 2 (which due to their fallout ended up turning to Nintendo's Paper Mario for the N64)? I understand the argument of it not making much sense if a SMRPG remake were released while at the same time the original SMRPG were added to the SNES NSO library. However, a remake with greatly improved graphics (or even a different, favorable aesthetic) and with a more active combat system wouldn't necessarily make the SNES NSO inclusion pointless. Though I agree that a sequel (say like they actually do make that SMRPG sequel that was originally supposed to have been made) would be much more well received by old fans, and would be a cathartic choice. It would be the definitive passing of the page between what was a bitter time between Nintendo and Square Enix; a time that many in the industry thought that the damage would be irreparable. Of course, Square came around later by making games for Nintendo systems, but this would finally gently remove the band-aid on the decades old scar, with a loving "mommy's kiss" on top.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I see we’re in the Endgame now.
Feels like we've entered the Endgame at least 6 or 13 times by now.

There's only two ways the amiibo theory and Mario November theory can line up for Geno: either he's revealed this month and released in November (this would damage the amiibo theory since it would be a new amiibo without a character release) or someone else is character 7, revealed and releases this month, and Geno is character 8, revealed in November.

Could also be Geno is revealed and released this month and has nothing to do with the Mario tourney.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Seriously though I feel like Sunshine is the Melee of the 3D Mario games. The games skill ceiling is quite high to master but it’s like a dance of jumps and flips and spins and dives once you get it down. Sunshine is fast, like really fast. Yeah it definitely has its quirks like the Lilly pad and pachinko parts but really I think Sunshine is THE most fun to master. Definitely the Melee, to Mario 64’s Smash 64, then followed by a casual masterpiece in Brawl/Galaxy.

You could even keep this comparison going.
Sunshine is a fun game, but the pachinko stage and the final level before the Bowser boss fight just suck

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the fence.

We have lots of evidence suggesting Geno is happening. But it's also very circumstantial. The fact we still have no indication of the next fighter and it's what, September? That's alarming to me. Why is Nintendo holding these reveals hostage?

Sakurai did state that everything was going on schedule, but it is evident from this Mario direct that Nintendo itself is not on schedule. With the recent revelations that Nintendo's marketing team decides when characters get revealed, coming from PushDustIn PushDustIn translations of Sakurai columns, I think there is certainly proof to support that Nintendo is holding off this next character for as long as they can so they can have some hype going into the holidays. papagenos papagenos suggested this too in his newest video.

We should have gotten this character back in June, as that would make sense as the original schedule pre-pandemic. Min Min would have been a March/April reveal or release and we would be now either seeing or playing as the third character this month.

You know, one thought is that if the Smash team is on schedule but Nintendo is behind, there's a chance that we may be getting extra content. It's a small chance, but it kind of depends on whether Small Battlefield was a last minute decision due to having extra time or if it was something planned a while ago they decided to just dump instead of waiting for a bigger patch. Because if the team is back on schedule, it seems like they could already be well underway on FP9 or even FP10 now while Nintendo still hasn't even revealed FP7.

We know they had Plant in development well before launch thanks to leaks, and Hero plus Joker had files in the game right after launch. Banjo also leaked like, what, 6mos before E3? They definitely have a lot more content developed that we probably won't even see for at least a year from now. A lot of work had to be done pre-pandemic on this stuff if DLC 2 was decided in June 2019 and, again, Sakurai said his team is working on schedule again.

With this in mind, it may be safe to assume they're probably "ahead" of the Nintendo release schedule. So what's stopping them from developing a couple extra stages, a bonus fighter or tweaking things like they did with the online? Nintendo is releasing content when it feels like it, and we now they pushed releases at least 3mos to 6mos back to deal with Covid (see the Mario 35th Direct for clear evidence of this). This places Nintendo Marketing at revealing things much later than the Smash Team develops it, so the idea we could be getting content beyond the DLC2 isn't that far fetched anymore. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice even staked his reputation on it.

Tl;dr if the Nintendo releases are delayed but the smash team is still on schedule, they may be further ahead on content compared to when Nintendo is going to reveal it. Getting additional content is not that far-fetched but we may not see it for a long time

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Geno is - and apparently always has been - in a rather frustrating position in terms of potential evidence. Like every hint is a 'phantom clue' that doesn't really mean much on its own besides being a little odd, but when viewed through the lens of another clue, it looks somewhat different, and when you view those two after seeing another one etc. It's like putting together one of those huge 500+ piece puzzles, and the pieces are so small that individually they're just random blobs of color, but once you get about twenty of them together you start to think "Wait, maybe I know what this is". But because it has 500+ pieces, even those twenty that you think you're starting to understand are only a very small part of the whole picture.

But it feels a little different, now, too. I only joined in on Smash speculation comparatively recently, and even now I'm never the one to actually uncover or present information (other than that one thing about GameStop editing that video in stores). But even just in the time I've been here I've seen a ton of weird things pop up and be brought to the table by others here, and it feels like it's happening more frequently, as time goes on. Insiders or people with connections can backpedal or claim they're just joking all they want, but at this point I think it's guaranteed that something SMRPG-related is going to happen very soon. If it turns out that Geno isn't in Smash, then the 'joke' becomes something like 'haha, you thought Geno was in Smash, but actually he's in Mario Party' or something like that. I really doubt that everyone would suddenly be talking about SMRPG if nothing at all was going to happen with the game or its characters.
Insiders are definitely talking Mario RPG. The ones that are worth really looking at are Grubb, Imran Kahn and maybe Andre from Gamexplain although he has always been avid for Geno so idk. I personally do also agree with something happening with Mario RPG happening.

And the evidence point is completely true too. On its own it's not much but when everything is looked at through the bigger picture so to speak that's when it looks like these large amount of coincidences may actually be meaningful.

My main point with Ryce was mainly he isn't a smash insider per se while Grubb and GameXplain have gotten Nintendo stuff right while Imran outright got Min Min right by making an acrostic tweet thread about smash. It seems that we are almost indefinitely (key word almost) getting our next character relatively soon at least by Mid October and honestly quite a bit points to Geno. I just hope people learn in the time till then to completely give up hope because a piece of evidence that ended upbeing meaningless in hindsight didn't actually mean much. Some characters can only wish they were in as good a position as Geno is

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
After watching PapaGenos's latest video, I am extremely happy over how much more optimistic he is over Geno's chances. Before he seemed very adamant that Geno would be a deluxe Mii Outfit, but now he seems MUCH more confident in playable Geno, which is very heartening to hear. I really hope CP7 grants our wishes soon, because it always seems like Geno's chances increase day after day. :)

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
Yea, with Roger talking about that rumor. It is a very nice time. I personally have heard SMRPG remake and wondered about posting it here. I caught wind that it is wanted to be kept secret here so I didn't mention anything till that video.

But I don't expect a sequel, I expect a remake full out (I heard a range of things to style of Links Awakening which I think works perfectly). But the idea of sequel is one that makes me wonder what they will do with it. Just gotta wait the time out, I am expecting some great things out of FP2 if a lot of things I heard are correct.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Remastering funky looking graphics like in Mario rpg is a double edged sword.

Sometimes it’s better letting things be left pixelated and more left to the imagination.

I feel like the 3d pokemon team didn’t hit all the marks when they made the jump, but that being said, I think it was a huge undertaking and a difficult job.

Like think about crying bowser.

1599312737561.png

Vs

1599312765467.jpeg

It’s just a different feel.

I’d honestly just like them to add the original to the switch.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
With the recent revelations that Nintendo's marketing team decides when characters get revealed, coming from PushDustIn PushDustIn translations of Sakurai columns,
Oh dear GOD no. Their marketing team has been so inefficient and blundering this year, making decisions as if they are literally flailing their arms around while holding a Magic 8 Ball. If they are in charge of reveals, they will botch the timing where the characters are already released. I bet their next character reveal will be Mario.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Hey Geno thread what’s happenin- oh. Super Mario RPG 2 rumours?

I’m gonna take this very cautiously. The idea of a Super Mario RPG sequel sounds too good to be true.

RogersBase has made it clear he has some insider info in the past (1:38, 31:47), though he’s speaking about someone else mentioning the rumours. But “correctly predicted the date of the last four Nintendo Directs”, “not a wannabe insider”. Roger, your getting me curious man.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Shofu is a Poketuber, but the guy who is talking may be Rogersbase. It sounds a lot like him.

Boy howdy, what a time we live in.

EDIT: Shofu hasn't done a lot of Pokemon games in awhile, but wildly known as such.
I'm a big Japan Time Podcast fan. Some things I'll share that I know:

• That is indeed Roger talking
  • He used to be an NOA ambassador
  • He is friendly w NOA staff and has appeared in official crossover videos with Treehouse staff. In the past they have invited him out to events and have given him sponsored content to show off in his videos (like free games). He even got to visit Nintendo of Japan, but it's not clear if he just went to the building for a photo op or actually was invited (he never really said, probably the former)
  • In the clip he was starting to say Geno before he was cut off. It's very very clear.
  • He has been calling Geno for a long time now. Geno has appeared in most of his prediction videos for Ultimate from pre launch through current DLC speculation.
  • Most of his co-hosts are Geno fans. And if they aren't they all agree he's likely.
  • The Japan Time Podcast would invite Smash community celebs like D1 in the past and they would also toss out they supported and/or thought Geno was likely based on what they knew.
  • Roger, Shofu and the rest all knew that Incineroar was coming ahead of the November Smash direct and flat out said they knew "an unknown character" as evidence they knew Grinch was fake back when it was still hotly debated. After somebody slipped and said Incineroar by name they pretended it was just speculation about who the unknown fighter was, but after Incineroar was revealed they admitted everyone one of them knew he was coming and joked their slip up totally got somebody at Nintendo in trouble.
  • Roger claims to have known about other characters before their reveal but never really clarified who. I know Ridley was one of them, though he never flat out said he knew he has implied his connections all told him ahead of E3 2018
  • He's also hugely in support of Dante, Chief and Crash -- 3 other characters we keep hearing tossed around. Roger also jokes about Waluigi being a real possibility. His most recent prediction video has Geno, 2B, Travis, Pokemon, Chief, Sora and Phoenix Wright but he admits that characters like Dante and Crash could easily replace those.

So go ahead and add that to the list

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Finally. FINALLY I can stop playing the fool, thanks to Polarthief Polarthief opening up Pandora's Box. Not just the Star Road Discord knew about this supposed SMRPG 2/Remake Electric Boogaloo Rumor. ;)

Anyway, Thanks to you CopperKoopa CopperKoopa . I had forgotten how "in the know" RogersBase was/is.

It is time to start hyping the **** up!

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Guys, some people on GameFAQs seem to think that the image in the following link is enough to dismiss Ryce's initial post:

https://imgur.com/HIEscKY
Grrr, THIS is why i always say if you're an insider the best thing you can do is WATCH WHAT YOU ****ING SAY! You are not a "Normal" person no matter how much you might want to be treated like one. Your words MEAN something and will be taken seriously by someone as a result. THINK before you make jokes!

Finally. FINALLY I can stop playing the fool, thanks to Polarthief Polarthief opening up Pandora's Box. Not just the Star Road Discord knew about this supposed SMRPG 2/Remake Electric Boogaloo Rumor. ;)

Anyway, Thanks to you CopperKoopa CopperKoopa . I had forgotten how "in the know" RogersBase was/is.

It is time to start hyping the **** up!
How did you know about it?

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
..I mean, I just don't really see the need for a SMRPG remake. Sure, there are a few things that you could do to help some of the game's problems like letting items stack for instance, but minor things like that could just be in a touched-up port rather than a full remake. I know I've mentioned things like fully 3D environments for dramatic camera angles and extra cutscenes and such, but that's all just something I'd think about if they decided that they just had to do a remake, which I don't think they do.
If any, I think the main problem was that the canon based on Mario universe and Mushroom Kingdom was kinda outdated, as there are visible difference from current canon. N64 titles like Super Mario 64 and Paper Mario 64 are close to the basis for modern Mario universe. Just like the classic Donkey Kong Arcade canon isn't the same with DKC canon.

If they do get a remake, the part about mushroom kingdom, bowser castle and neighbor area would need some rework to look close to modern settings. Would be even good to insert Toadsworth and Kamek.

But I don't expect a sequel, I expect a remake full out (I heard a range of things to style of Links Awakening which I think works perfectly). But the idea of sequel is one that makes me wonder what they will do with it. Just gotta wait the time out, I am expecting some great things out of FP2 if a lot of things I heard are correct.
Depends on what the purpose is, tho.

If we want a story era like Fawful from M&L titles, it might work. But beside that, Nintendo seem to tend to just make independent stories which have own unique and exclusive characters and settings.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I haven´t played sunshine in more than a decade. Sunshine was definitely a disappointment in it´s time. Hard to do a BESTGAMEEVER/DEFINEGAMING trick twice in a row. But out of all the post mario´s, it´s the best one ( hated playing galaxy on the wii, because I was massively dissapointed in the wii)

( No dream too medium rare plays on the background)
Is this hope?

Be careful what you wish for....
I don´t know what I want, specially if Square´s behind it. FF7R proved that they just can´t be trusted with doing a simple thing. Then again, it depends what studio is behind it....
Sorry, but FF7R is a masterpiece and is essentially universally critically acclaimed. Its proof that the CAN be trusted and that they are finally listening again.

If some of the claims I've seen in this thread were from you, it puts you the .5% that complains about very minor things and personal preference rather than real issues. If people can call my objective critiques of KH3 nitpicky and subjective, the things I've seen about FF7R might as well not even be said in comparison.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I'm a big Japan Time Podcast fan. Some things I'll share that I know:

That is Roger talking
He used to be an NOA ambassador
He is friendly NOA staff and has appeared in crossover videos with Nintendo. In the past they invited him out to do stuff and have sponsored content in his videos
He was starting to say Geno before he was cut off It's very very clear
He has been calling Geno for a long time now. Geno was appeared in most of his prediction videos for the past 3 years
He knew that Incineroar was coming, as did most of the podcast. He claims to have known other characters but never really clarified who

So go ahead and add that to the list
he’s not an insider. Why are people assuming he’s an insider. He clearly heard about that girl who said she heard about a mario RPG 2 by square being made and then just passed it on.

Let me get this right. According to people if you mention wanting Geno in smash or w possibility of a mark RPG remake then your automatically an insider with info.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
he’s not an insider. Why are people assuming he’s an insider. He clearly heard about that girl who said she heard about a mario RPG 2 by square being made and then just passed it on.

Let me get this right. According to people if you mention wanting Geno in smash or w possibility of a mark RPG remake then your automatically an insider with info.
But... I just linked to a GameXplain discussion where he admitted to have known about Dark Souls Remastered and the January 2018 Mini Direct ahead of time. Plus other people like Nazyrus coming in here to share that they don’t think he’s talking about “Twitter girl”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom