• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Was sent this. Not directly Geno related but some Fatman verification would definitely be good! :3

View attachment 284434

I mean, no offense but the guy is literally doing a series of posts right now telling people to not focus on what one specific person says too much and to form your own conclusions. Why are we even giving this literal random 4chan post a single ounce of attention anyway? I mean, we can literally prove it wrong with one point, announced on the 6th, the last Smash presentation we had was on a Monday and was announced the Friday before. Also the fact that's it's a Bethesda character... even though we already got the Vault Boy costume. And randomly knowing about and mentioning a completely unrelated TV show for no reason. Come on.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My only concern involving the 3D Mario Collection is the fact that it is only available until March 31, both digitally and physically. It isn't a huge deal for me since I plan to pick it up on launch date, but I will seriously never understand this decision. Isn't the point of porting over old games supposed to be a way for newer players to experience them? This feels like an instance similar to when Nintendo pulled Pikmin 3 out of the Wii U eShop, and its that Nintendo always forgets that not everyone has a Switch. Making this collection available for a limited time just feels scummy imo, and doing this just comes off as money hungry. My advice for anyone here that somehow DOESN'T have a Switch is if you're interested in this collection, you might as well buy this collection before buying the Switch itself, because chances are if you DO get a Switch, the collection probably won't even be available anymore. I'm all for Nintendo trying to increase sales for the Switch and their games, but releasing a product only to make it available for a limited time isn't the way to do it.

Of course, as I said, I am still unbelievably excited for this collection and can't wait to try it out, but I can't help but feel bad for all the people who don't have a Switch that might miss out on this collection of absolutely great games. I hope Nintendo changes their mind about this decision, or at the very least, make this collection available for release at a later date, but I kinda doubt it unfortunately.

Firox

Smash Master
My only concern involving the 3D Mario Collection is the fact that it is only available until March 31, both digitally and physically.
Agreed. I'm really not looking forward to the heinous scalping that will inevitably ensue with the physical copies. And why put a time limit on digital copies? That just doesn't make any sense aside from Nintendo creating a BS artificial shortage scheme for selling units. Then again, they could always bust a Konami/Disney and just wait about a year before re-releasing it with another "limited time" offer.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I think the only reason people still bring up 4chan posts is in case of a leak happening similar to that ONE leak that had Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant and no one noticed. Quite honesty, with the drought, we can bring up and dismiss those posts, just so we are aware of it. At least we'll have something to talk about, but we may not need it after today's direct

I'm glad there have been more directs lately, but man, it still left much to be desired. I'm content with what we got today, don't get me wrong, but our boy in blue can't get here any sooner, plus the other games that have been rumored.

I guess we wait another week till we have to wait another week.... again.... lol

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Alright everyone, I'm going to start some pre-emptive work on my BestGuyEver-styled Geno video and while I'm certain I can come up with something good on my own, I'd really appeciate some help with video clips and images for the different sections. If you've never seen BestGuyEver's videos on Geno, I'd recommend watching them here to get a better idea of what I'm trying to make.

Before I list what I'm looking for, however, let me first list off what I'm not looking for.
  • Don't recommend a song for this video. Typically BestGuyEver videos use a single music track to epitomize the character the video is about. While I'm sure you have plenty of ideas for a good song for Geno, I already have one picked out, so I don't need any suggestions.
  • Don't recommend videos from PapaGenos or TerminalMontage. Seeing as they're considered two of the biggest Geno fans around, I'm obviously already going to include clips from them.
  • Don't recommend Rawest Forest or Smash Kingdom. I'm well aware of both of them and rest assured they'll be included in the video in some way.
  • Don't recommend "Smashing Speculation: Hype And Transformation" by Jonathan Motes. I've got plans to include a clip or two from that as well.
  • Don't make suggestions regarding dunking on comments from people who thought Geno wouldn't make it in. While I'm not against such, that's not exactly the point of this video I'm making.
  • Don't suggest the "It's been 3000 years..." scene from Pokemon X & Y. While it may be fitting, I see it as too overplayed. Clips that capture a similar sentiment are fine, however.
Okay, so with that out of the way, here's what I need:
  • I'll need videos that talk about Geno, specifically with regards to him getting in Smash. It can be either a small part of the video or the entire video itself, but it needs to be about Geno. They can also be videos that are negative about Geno and his chances.
  • I'll need videos that can be used in reference to Geno, such as videos about puppets or videos about the return of an old friend.
  • While not needed, I'd love it if you guys could find a great GameFAQs (or Smashboards) post or two that goes in detail as to why Geno won't get in for me to read at the beginning of the video. This will need to be at least one paragraph long for me to consider it.
  • I'll need videos that capture a wide range of emotions, from joy to disappointment, to shock and surprise, to hopeful optimism and soul-crushing despair.
  • I'll need plenty of images, from articles about Square and Nintendo's falling out, to Geno meme images (both positive and negative), to screencaps of old Smashboards posts that could be worth bringing up.
If you have anything you feel is worth including, feel free to DM it to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Somethings I guess I should say in regards to this topic of researching things for speculation sake:

-Nobody knows everything. Usually for insiders they tend to specialize in specific companies. If someone is making a ton of claims for different companies all at once, that's definitely a red flag and should be questioned.

-Getting exact details is typically pretty hard. If people can list pinpoint details with elaborate descriptions such as trailers, that's usually another red flag. For example, the racing game rumor likely came true today but details were so vague most people were forced to come to their own conclusions. Verge and Sabi thought it was Mario Kart 9 because they probably did get details of a new Mario Kart but filled in the blanks. This happens a lot.

-Cross check and cross reference. You guys will notice that sometimes I get stuck because, lo and behold, I'm just a single person and I don't have infinite knowledge. This is why, for example, Slender is amazing at answering tech related questions because he actually knows this stuff. Mesh with other fanbases and hobbyists. Have people in your "portfolio" that are experts in certain things so you have reliable people to help things pass the sniff test.

-Ironic given I have ADHD but it's best to stay focused. I concentrate on Nintendo because that's what I care about. Research is best when it's the same way. If you pull yourself too thin in too many directions then what you find will be less reliable. On this note, having people you cross check and cross reference be interested in similar things helps with research overall because, if it's something you both like, that's good for comraderie and helps you connect to even more people with similar interest. With my guys, Nintendo is the thread that connects them but they have their own networks and interests beyond that that add to the overall pool of collective information.

-Sometimes stuff will stagnant and not much new will come out in support of it. That's not the worst thing to happen. Time gaps in information don't necessarily mean something is wrong and sometimes things take awhile to pan out. Like Lloyd in Smash, sometimes you just have to tuck things away for awhile when things get quiet, not totally discard them. A little bit of evidence is still better than contradictory evidence.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Was sent this. Not directly Geno related but some Fatman verification would definitely be good! :3

View attachment 284434

It's a 4chan text leak. It's about as reliable as me saying that we'll be getting a Sakurai Presents on September 9th about Ratchet and Clank as the new Smash fighter, with Mii costumes for Nathan Drake, Kratos, and Knack.

On a related note...

fatman does any of this line up with your sources? I'd guess fake but I'm guessing we'll hear about this leak for a week or so but maybe you can shoot it down or comment.View attachment 284425
When posting things from 4chan (or any other site, really), make sure to edit out any words that would normally be censored by the filter, particularly the hard swear words. I edited it out this time, though.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Alright everyone, I'm going to start some pre-emptive work on my BestGuyEver-styled Geno video and while I'm certain I can come up with something good on my own, I'd really appeciate some help with video clips and images for the different sections. If you've never seen BestGuyEver's videos on Geno, I'd recommend watching them here to get a better idea of what I'm trying to make.

Before I list what I'm looking for, however, let me first list off what I'm not looking for.
  • Don't recommend a song for this video. Typically BestGuyEver videos use a single music track to epitomize the character the video is about. While I'm sure you have plenty of ideas for a good song for Geno, I already have one picked out, so I don't need any suggestions.
  • Don't recommend videos from PapaGenos or TerminalMontage. Seeing as they're considered two of the biggest Geno fans around, I'm obviously already going to include clips from them.
  • Don't recommend Rawest Forest or Smash Kingdom. I'm well aware of both of them and rest assured they'll be included in the video in some way.
  • Don't recommend "Smashing Speculation: Hype And Transformation" by Jonathan Motes. I've got plans to include a clip or two from that as well.
  • Don't make suggestions regarding dunking on comments from people who thought Geno wouldn't make it in. While I'm not against such, that's not exactly the point of this video I'm making.
  • Don't suggest the "It's been 3000 years..." scene from Pokemon X & Y. While it may be fitting, I see it as too overplayed. Clips that capture a similar sentiment are fine, however.
  • I'll need videos that talk about Geno, specifically with regards to him getting in Smash. It can be either a small part of the video or the entire video itself, but it needs to be about Geno. They can also be videos that are negative about Geno and his chances.
  • I'll need videos that can be used in reference to Geno, such as videos about puppets or videos about the return of an old friend.
  • While not needed, I'd love it if you guys could find a great GameFAQs (or Smashboards) post or two that goes in detail as to why Geno won't get in for me to read at the beginning of the video. This will need to be at least one paragraph long for me to consider it.
  • I'll need videos that capture a wide range of emotions, from joy to disappointment, to shock and surprise, to hopeful optimism and soul-crushing despair.
  • I'll need plenty of images, from articles about Square and Nintendo's falling out, to Geno meme images (both positive and negative), to screencaps of old Smashboards posts that could be worth bringing up.
Feel free to use any of my Geno memes from today,

Friends returning and puppets? Have you given thought to anything from Toy Story, Disney's Pinocchio, or even this scene from The Brave Little Toaster?

IMO it fits PERFECT for many reasons!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
But like, why Nintendo gotta pretend like Galaxy 2 doesn't even exist? Didn't even appear in the historical montage at the end of the Direct, that was one of my favorite games. I like it better than the original. #JusticeforLubba

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But like, why Nintendo gotta pretend like Galaxy 2 doesn't even exist? Didn't even appear in the historical montage at the end of the Direct, that was one of my favorite games. I like it better than the original. #JusticeforLubba
They didn’t show SML2 nor NSMB2 either for some reason. All the mainline games appear on the Mario 35th website’s history thing, however.

I still find it weird how SMG2 isn’t part of 3D All Stars for some reason.

Nintendo also made a tweet about the history with a clip like the Direct’s except it didn’t have NSMBDS either :S

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

I'm actually working on a celebration video over on the Discord! Not so much in the vain of BestGuyEver, but more of a "We've come so far" kind of vibe. Can't wait to see both!

Here's some memes:
1567916097471.png

genojeb.png

GenoMan.png

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
How hard is it for Nintendo to just announce things a day ahead of time consistently? I don't get it, this has literally never been an issue before. I get it when it's just one game but an entire direct? I refuse to believe things are so messed up at Nintendo right now that they can't give a one day notice on a direct like this.
It truly is odd. I completely understand covid is screwing up their plans and everything but all this would take is a tweet that I can't see why that would be difficult to do. "Join us tomorrow at 6am PST for a Mario 35th anniversary Direct!" That took me maybe 1 minute.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1301511164648542209?s=20

I feel like this is newly announced mario themed tournament is something we need to look at with laser eyes right now. Notice how this tournament is said to take place somewhere in november and december.
If you ask me this is probably something really valuable for geno since hypothetically if geno was fp7 that would mean he would probably release somewhere in late september/october, meaning he would make it just in time for this tournament
Mario, Luigi, Doc, Peach, Bowser, Daisy, Rosalina, Jr. make 8, a nice even number for a tournament

Yoshi absolutely would be a part of this despite being under his own franchise in Smash. He's always included with Mario and friends. That makes 9.

Wario and the DK crew could or could not be added but would still make this an uneven number. It's difficult to say if they would be because Nintendo waffles on whether they are Mario characters anymore or not.

of course you don't need an even number of characters to have a tournament as players can play as the same character, but there's a poetry to having an even number.

My point is it could mean nothing or it could mean everything. We don't know. But it's something to ponder

D

Deleted member

Got some stuff.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
On the one hand, I believe the following; Considering how tight of a lid Nintendo kept over a Byleth reveal, I have an incredibly high level of doubt that they would even let so much as the hair on a singular pixel get away from them with regards to future gaming plans and announcements. Starfox? Banjo-Kazooie collection? Smash in general? Oh, dear oh dear.

But™ . . .

On the other hand; man, we sure heard a ton of people talkin up a storm about this mario 3D collection for the past several months. what on earth is it that kept byleth under wraps, but not the main man souper marty-o. it's so weird.

game development is weird, man. who knows.

I still am willing to bet that any 4chan leak that proposes to know the details of a Direct is absolutely going to be fake, however. I think this is a pretty firm stance that most of us generally take, anyway.
I think Nintendo and Sakurai chose to keep Byleth a harder locked secret because they knew if that got out it would bring a salt storm across the Smash community which it technically did when Byleth was revealed. Imagine how much worse people would have reacted to that if Byleth was leaked beforehand.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I would recommend gathering posts from people from the Newcomer Thread that dislikes the Geno fanbase saying Geno will never be in, bad **** about Geno or Fatman in your video so we can shove it in their face when he get's in. Also should gather their Geno raid posts as well.

Last edited:

Genome

Smash Cadet
This might have already been said but wow it is pathetic how low Nintendo is stooping in 2020. Super Mario 3D World and the Collection are both $60? And the latter is doesn't even have Super Mario Galaxy 2? And it's being sold for a limited time to artificially boost sales? Just goes to show that all companies are predatory towards the consumer once they have the tiniest bit of power to do so.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This might have already been said but wow it is pathetic how low Nintendo is stooping in 2020. Super Mario 3D World and the Collection are both $60? And the latter is doesn't even have Super Mario Galaxy 2? And it's being sold for a limited time to artificially boost sales? Just goes to show that all companies are predatory towards the consumer once they have the tiniest bit of power to do so.
If it was up to me and I was the CEO or somebody high in NoJ, I would put SM64, SMS, SMG, SMG2, SM3DL, and SM3DW all in the Super Mario 3D All Stars Collection.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
My only concern involving the 3D Mario Collection is the fact that it is only available until March 31, both digitally and physically. It isn't a huge deal for me since I plan to pick it up on launch date, but I will seriously never understand this decision. Isn't the point of porting over old games supposed to be a way for newer players to experience them? This feels like an instance similar to when Nintendo pulled Pikmin 3 out of the Wii U eShop, and its that Nintendo always forgets that not everyone has a Switch. Making this collection available for a limited time just feels scummy imo, and doing this just comes off as money hungry. My advice for anyone here that somehow DOESN'T have a Switch is if you're interested in this collection, you might as well buy this collection before buying the Switch itself, because chances are if you DO get a Switch, the collection probably won't even be available anymore. I'm all for Nintendo trying to increase sales for the Switch and their games, but releasing a product only to make it available for a limited time isn't the way to do it.

Of course, as I said, I am still unbelievably excited for this collection and can't wait to try it out, but I can't help but feel bad for all the people who don't have a Switch that might miss out on this collection of absolutely great games. I hope Nintendo changes their mind about this decision, or at the very least, make this collection available for release at a later date, but I kinda doubt it unfortunately.
Seriously, why is Nintendo still so insistent on this Disney Vault bull****? Even Disney stopped with the Vault thanks to Disney+ and people pirating the movies so why the hell is Nintendo doing it despite people emulating their games for years?

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Does it suck that Nintendo's doing these predatory business tactics? Yeah sure. But they are a company and they probably know that the amount of money they can get from charging 60 bucks for a limited time release of ports is probably more than if they kept it around forever but only charged 20-30 bucks. Nintendo has amazing characters and a huge library of classics but as a company they aren't our friends lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seriously, why is Nintendo still so insistent on this Disney Vault bull****? Even Disney stopped with the Vault thanks to Disney+ and people pirating the movies so why the hell is Nintendo doing it despite people emulating their games for years?
Probably because Disney is a American company and Nintendo is a Japanese company. The Japanese take pirating more seriously than Americans do I imagine so that's why Nintendo is like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom