• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ok so if the rumors are true and the Mario 3D Collection is being revealed tomorrow, can I let off a mini rant?

While the absence of Galaxy 2 is only a rumor, it would be very disappointing if it turns out to be the outcome and the only 3D game absent. I won’t lie that my love for the first game is stronger than the second, yet even then Galaxy 2 is an excellent sequel and undeniably has some of the best level designs ever in Mario. I‘m still holding out a little bit of hope that people are wrong about Galaxy 2 not making the cut, but it’s also something I can definitely see Nintendo doing.
Galaxy 2 in my opinion is a underrated masterpiece up there with the likes of SMB3, SMW, and SM64 of being one of the best Mario games of all time.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Wondering if we could get an announcement in 25 minutes or so. Since the ACNH direct was announced at 5 PM EST when it wasn’t Daylight Savings Time, I’m guessing it could be announced at 6 PM EST in Daylight Savings Time, especially if it happens to be Mario focused. Probably not though, I’m mostly betting on a shadowdropped mini. That or they give us a heads up 10 hours before like what they did with the first Partner’s Direct.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Gonna say like Peppy Hare; "it's quiet, too quiet". Looked up Nintendo's twitter and as some have pointed out, they didn't post anything at all today; a Wednesday, middle of the week. I'd understand if it were the weekend but, while in the middle of the week, not even a meme tweet? Hmm...
It's the combination of no tweets from any of the main accounts, the lack of a Smash event announcement this week, and a decent chunk of people implying the Mario Collection being dropped tomorrow that's leaving me somewhat puzzled. We obviously aren't getting a major direct since they would have announced it, they wouldn't do it when all these partner showcases are still a thing and especially not a week after one, and no one has really implied or rumored one regardless. I don't think that entirely stops them from announcing some kind of specialized direct later in the day like they did with Animal Crossing, or the partner showcase at Midnight, but why? And that still doesn't really explain the Smash event not being announced this week at all yet.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I know I said I was going to take a break from posting until there was more news, and while that's still true, I did come across something I wished to share with the thread.

20200902_162936.jpg

These official Puma × Nintendo shoes were leaked ahead of time. They are 100% real and official. Now upon a closer inspection, does anything jump out at you? What I noticed right away is that on the inside of one of the shoes, there is a Super Mario 64 render.

I think this really solidifies the Mario 3D collection rumors. Why? Well because why is this render here? No, really, why did Nintendo choose this Super Mario 64 render for these official Puma x Super Mario shoes? These shoes are for kids, so using the 64 render as nostalgia doesn't make sense. Super Mario 64 isn't relevant to kids basically at all. Why not put a more modern Mario render like from Odyssey or something?

Someone could argue that Nintendo makes retro shirts all the time with retro Mario from the NES days for younger audiences. That's true, however, those shirts are in their own vacuums as retro-specific shirts. NES Mario is also referenced a lot more than N64 Mario in marketing and in Nintendo's games. Heck, NES and SNES Mario has even been more readily available due to the Switch online service. For generic Mario products like the Mario Legos, Mario glue, etc., Nintendo uses modern renders of Mario. So why for these generic Super Mario branded sneakers (not Super Mario 64 brand), would Nintendo use an old render from a game that isn't too relevant to children whatsoever? Some may think this is tinfoil hat territory, but I legitimately think what I'm saying makes sense from a marketing standpoint. While yes, I'm not a marketing expert, but again, why would Nintendo use a render from a game that children haven't really played for a product aimed a children?...

That is, of course, unless Nintendo is going to bring back Super Mario 64 sometime soon somehow...

( papagenos papagenos I think I found something worth discussing.)

EDIT: pinshadow pinshadow found that the logo is the Super Mario 64 logo, making them Super Mario 64 branded shoes. ...which I suppose proves my point in a different way because why would Nintendo market Super Mario 64 specific shoes to kids in 2020 if they weren't going to make Super Mario 64 relevant again in some way?

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I know I said I was going to take a break from posting until there was more news, and while that's still true, I did come across something I wished to share with the thread.

View attachment 284255

These official Puma × Nintendo shoes were leaked ahead of time. They are 100% real and official. Now upon a closer inspection, does anything jump out at you? What I noticed right away is that on the inside of one of the shoes, there is a Super Mario 64 render.

I think this really solidifies the Mario 3D collection rumors. Why? Well because why is this render here? No, really, why did Nintendo choose this Super Mario 64 render for these official Puma x Super Mario shoes? These shoes are for kids, so using the 64 render as nostalgia doesn't make sense. Super Mario 64 isn't relevant to kids basically at all. Why not put a more modern Mario render like from Odyssey or something?

Someone could argue that Nintendo makes retro shirts all the time with retro Mario from the NES days for younger audiences. That's true, however, those shirts are in their own vacuums as retro-specific shirts. NES Mario is also referenced a lot more than N64 Mario in marketing and in Nintendo's games. Heck, NES and SNES Mario has even been more readily available due to the Switch online service. For generic Mario products like the Mario Legos, Mario glue, etc., Nintendo uses modern renders of Mario. So why for these generic Super Mario branded sneakers (not Super Mario 64 brand), would Nintendo use an old render from a game that isn't too to children whatsoever? Some may think this is tinfoil hat territory, but I legitimately think what I'm saying makes sense from a marketing standpoint. While yes, I'm not a marketing expert, but again, why would Nintendo use a render for a game that children haven't really played for a product aimed a children?...

That is, of course, unless Nintendo is going to bring back Super Mario 64 sometime soon somehow...

( papagenos papagenos I think I found something worth discussing.)
Now THAT'S a good catch. I was going to post the shoes as just more evidence of "hey Nintendo IS actually doing a pretty big push for Mario this year for the anniversary" along with stuff we already know like the Gaming Chairs, the new controllers they announced, the Lego Mario and NES, the board games including a Mario Celebration themed Monopoly, along with others but it felt redundant. Now I realize I was wrong.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE

ZOOM
20200902_162936_jpg_JPEG_Image_1462_×_823_pixels_Scaled_97_.png

That's not the normal Mario logo, THAT'S THE MARIO 64 LOGO.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

ZOOM
View attachment 284256
Um

20200817_142343.jpg

...well still! It is weird that Nintendo are making Super Mario 64 themed shoes in 2020 for kids, despite the game not being relevant to them! So maybe this somewhat proves even more that the collection is coming because why would Nintendo market a game for kids that isn't relevant to them?

(This still makes sense right?)

QQS

Smash Lord
So we got for SEPTEMBER:

-9/9: Crash 24° years (Geno is also from 1996 and has 24 years)
-9/13: Super Mario 35° years
-9/23: Nintendo 131° years
-Waves of amiibo who always come with character reveals
-Historical General Directs this month (last General was September 2019)
-Lack of First Party news and lots of rumor about it

Im preparing for a Zelda/Metroid reveal, SuperMario big reveal and mostly for our DOUBLE E3 REVEAL of GENO #77 and CRASH #78 bringing each SMRPG to the Switch library + Crash 4 to Switch. Also Premium Costume of Mallow or Sora (or maybe Mallow as part of any Geno's move) + Vista Hill stage + songs remixed by Yoko + more Final Fantasy songs added. After that I can see Rayman, Dante, Doomguy and/or another rep of Sonic or Zelda.

Despide everything just give us Geno in any Challenger Pack and hopefully soon (sweet coincidence also as #7).

GENO ALIGNS into BATTLE!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Um

View attachment 284258

...well still! It is weird that Nintendo are making Super Mario 64 themed shoes in 2020 for kids, despite the game not being relevant to them! So maybe this somewhat proves even more that the collection is coming because why would Nintendo market a game for kids that isn't relevant to them?

(This still makes sense right?)
That's... exactly my point? I wasn't disagreeing with you, pretty much the opposite. Mario 64 branded Puma's specifically being made for the anniversary? If only there was... some kind of way to PLAY Mario 64 on Nintendo's newest console... some kind of.. collection or something....

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So we got for SEPTEMBER:

-9/9: Crash 24° years (Geno is also from 1996 and has 24 years)
-9/13: Super Mario 35° years
-9/23: Nintendo 131° years
-Waves of amiibo who always come with character reveals
-Historical General Directs this month (last General was September 2019)
-Lack of First Party news and lots of rumor about it

Im preparing for a Zelda/Metroid reveal, SuperMario big reveal and mostly for our DOUBLE E3 REVEAL of GENO #77 and CRASH #78 bringing each SMRPG to the Switch library + Crash 4 to Switch. Also Premium Costume of Mallow or Sora (or maybe Mallow as part of any Geno's move) + Vista Hill stage + songs remixed by Yoko + more Final Fantasy songs added. After that I can see Rayman, Dante, Doomguy and/or another rep of Sonic or Zelda.

Despide everything just give us Geno in any Challenger Pack and hopefully soon (sweet coincidence also as #7).

GENO ALIGNS into BATTLE!
I wouldn't expect a double reveal as it really isn't likely that they would have an outlet to announce them in especially considering how much has changed. Geno seems quite likely but a double honestly doesn't seem likely but Geno returning is honestly pretty fun to think about this month in and of itself

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
That's... exactly my point? I wasn't disagreeing with you, pretty much the opposite. Mario 64 branded Puma's specifically being made for the anniversary? If only there was... some kind of way to PLAY Mario 64 on Nintendo's newest console... some kind of.. collection or something....
No worries chief, I knew you weren't disagreeing. I was just caught off guard that I missed that and now our arguments for why the collection is real are probably stronger now!

I'm just tired at this point and want the collection to be revealed already

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We really need a new Geno discord. Not a fan of the "Star road"

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Now THAT'S a good catch. I was going to post the shoes as just more evidence of "hey Nintendo IS actually doing a pretty big push for Mario this year for the anniversary" along with stuff we already know like the Gaming Chairs, the new controllers they announced, the Lego Mario and NES, the board games including a Mario Celebration themed Monopoly, along with others but it felt redundant. Now I realize I was wrong.

ZOOM
View attachment 284256
You got the ZOOM, but my friend you failed to add the ENHANCE!

1599086394977.png

Mario 64 inserts

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just for the sake of conversation, I do kind of wonder if wires got crossed because since July we've heard:

-A potential Friday Direct

-A Direct or a major announcement on a Thursday (multiple times)

I do kind of wonder if information got mixed up and a big reason why some of this stuff has been ****ed up is because people keep getting the right DAYS for things but the wrong dates and the wrong types of presentations.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've got a feeling so complicated that we're currently in the calm before a storm... what kind of storm, I don't know. We'll hopefully find out before the day is over, but Nintendo's strange silence on their Twitters today, plus the recent evidence such as the Nintendo Direct Archive page update and those Super Mario 64-branded shoes posted earlier, and insiders hinting at something coming in mere days, makes me think something big's coming... or at least (hopefully) something bigger than yet another Partner Showcase or twitter announcement.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just for the sake of conversation, I do kind of wonder if wires got crossed because since July we've heard:

-A potential Friday Direct

-A Direct or a major announcement on a Thursday (multiple times)

I do kind of wonder if information got mixed up and a big reason why some of this stuff has been ****ed up is because people keep getting the right DAYS for things but the wrong dates and the wrong types of presentations.
It's possible I suppose. It's also possible we might get a Direct shadowdropped tomorrow, and it may or may not have Smash news. We'll just have to wait and see

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The next two hours is make or break for this weird radio silence today

1. The latest Smash-related announcements we've had were Joker's presentation shadowdropped out of nowhere, and the announcement of Terry's showcase. Both happened at 8:00pm EST
2. There's an outside chance our missing tournament could be dropped on Smash JP tonight, and it was just a day late to coincide with the Paper Mario event running longer than usual

If nothing at all happens... beats the hell out of me.

T2by4

Smash Lord

1. The latest Smash-related announcements we've had were Joker's presentation shadowdropped out of nowhere, and the announcement of Terry's showcase. Both happened at 8:00pm EST
2. There's an outside chance our missing tournament could be dropped on Smash JP tonight, and it was just a day late to coincide with the Paper Mario event running longer than usual

Isn't it just 20 minutes from now?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I did some research and checked every single spirit event & event tournament since the release of Smash Ultimate two years ago and I can corroborate what pinshadow pinshadow also said:

There are only 3 times an event was either not announced or announced one day later: And all 3 times a new character and a Sakurai Presents video were published!!! All other weeks the events were announced according to the regular schedule.

The week with "Sakurai Presents: Hero" was the only week without a Spirit Event / Event Tourney. The weeks with the "Sakurai Presents: Banjo & Kazooie" and "Sakurai Presents: Hero" were weeks with a delayed Event announcement.

This week is the fourth time since 2018 without an event announcement according to the regular schedule – this has to be it, a FIGHTER REVEAL TOMORROW is VERY LIKELY, possibly even a Sakurai Presents + a very soon release!!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
For some reason, I always found 'The Rapper's Angel' to be a ridiculously cool title for Exor.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I mentioned this yesterday but the Paper Mario event running longer has NOTHING to do with it. ALL Spirit events featuring new spirits run for 5 days instead of the usual 4, likely to allow people to collect them before they dissappear for a few months, and they have NEVER prevented a new event from being announced the normal time on Tuesday.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This week is the fourth time since 2018 without an event announcement according to the regular schedule – this has to be it, a FIGHTER REVEAL TOMORROW is VERY LIKELY, possibly even a Sakurai Presents + a very soon release!!
So far, we've yet to get an announcement in advance today. If we get no announcements today, and tomorrow is really it for Fighter 7, then this could possibly be a shadow-drop, the second shadow-dropped character since Joker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom