• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As much as I want this to be over I've kind of been in this state of mind since 2018 that Geno wasn't an if but a when. Geno being part of official memos as per the Seven Squares leak and Geno regularly being a part of NoA employee rumors including among supervisors honestly sealed it for me a long time ago. If Friday doesn't pan out, it's just back to waiting until the inevitable happens.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
As much as I want this to be over I've kind of been in this state of mind since 2018 that Geno wasn't an if but a when. Geno being part of official memos as per the Seven Squares leak and Geno regularly being a part of NoA employee rumors including among supervisors honestly sealed it for me a long time ago. If Friday doesn't pan out, it's just back to waiting until the inevitable happens.
Oh yeah, I'm not anywhere near giving up if Geno isn't FP7 or FP8 or doesn't happen Friday or whatever. But I do think I'll let it go if Geno is announced a Mii Costume again. Obviously there's no rules about not being added as a Mii Costume and then later becoming a fighter, but in the same pass... I think that's a deconfirm to me.

I'm still in the opinion that I'd rather Nintendo just announce the characters in the pass right from the beginning. Speculation is interesting but to me it's not fun, haha. To each their own though.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
c
Oh yeah, I'm not anywhere near giving up if Geno isn't FP7 or FP8 or doesn't happen Friday or whatever. But I do think I'll let it go if Geno is announced a Mii Costume again. Obviously there's no rules about not being added as a Mii Costume and then later becoming a fighter, but in the same pass... I think that's a deconfirm to me.

I'm still in the opinion that I'd rather Nintendo just announce the characters in the pass right from the beginning. Speculation is interesting but to me it's not fun, haha. To each their own though.
Especially after paying in full before getting anything.

But it does help the lifespan of the game I guess. I'd happily maintain the player base and buzz in the game as long as possible and drawing it out does do that to an extent... I agree though, it's no fun for us who are going to be playing regardless! I'm not gonna lie, if they said we're adding Geno, but he's the 11th fighter and coming out 2021, I'd probably take a break from the game for a while, and that's from someone probably in the top %s for playtime.

T2by4

Smash Lord
It's pretty much the make or break for the Cacomallow mii costume for me as well. If it doesn't come out this direct, then it's gotta back faked somehow.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I’m reasonably confident that we are getting at least two character reveals here. Even if we were only slotted to have one at E3 (for some reason), we’re basically on September’s doorstep and we probably would’ve gotten another Direct next month or early October with a character reveal, so with it being so close they could’ve just combined whatever they’d have saved into this Direct for timing’s sake with DLC releases and just push the fall Direct to late Oct-early Nov maybe

But on the topic of potential bonus fighters, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what’s the over/under on the possibility of getting 7, 8, and two bonus characters? 7/8/9 or 7/8+B1 are all possible (especially if 7/B1 are Geno/Waluigi, respectively), but 4 reveals? Wondering your thoughts from a theorycrafting standpoint

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Its great how everyone and their uncle is hinting/implying/predicting something on Friday.

The problem is that there is one entity in this whole thing that isn't saying anything related to it: Nintendo. Kind of like how if everyone in your company, from the bottom rungs to the near top of the ladder, is discussing the potential of a pay raise, but it means nothing when the boss itself isn't saying it.

I hope this doesn't end up where everyone completes all the necessary Direct steps in terms of predictions, reactions and excitement and forgot to make sure step 1 is complete: Nintendo announces a Direct.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Things feel conclusive if only because of the volume of stuff that's leaked in the past week:

-Zelda Remasters are likely real.

-BotW2 is likely coming out sooner than we think.

-New hardware rumors are back, seemingly repeating what many people like myself heard in January.

-One of my guys tapped me the other day to back up the N64/Gameboy NSO rumors floating around all summer, fairly confident that one would likely appear in the next Direct. (Also floated the idea of RARE N64 games on the NSO given the brewing storm of Nintendo/Microsoft rumors. Also floated the idea that we could be getting this instead of RARE Replay on Switch and... I'm kind of digging that idea, honestly.)

-Another one of my guys tapping me to suggest they might have found something suggesting a FOURTH dead franchise (not including the NES/Indie collabs) might (keyword: might) eventually happen. I mention this because insider rumors always start to pop like popcorn when a presentation is on the horizon and the idea that yet another Nintendo franchise could be raised from the dead is a big deal.

There's a lot of electricity in the air and it at least FEELS like the axe is going to fall soon.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I was completely fine with FP1 not being revealed at once since they revealed those characters at a fairly steady pace. But it’s been 9 months since FP2 was revealed & we only know 1 character. It’s been awful; hype for FP2 is non existent at this point lmao.

They should either reveal the whole pass or at the very least reveal the planned release months for the remaining 5.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I don't really mind not knowing the pass contents for the sake of not knowing what you're paying for personally. I've never been disappointed by a DLC so far. Even Corrin who at the time no one had ever heard of in Smash 4 was fun for me. I also have a decent job and live in a household with two incomes, and while I'm definitely nowhere near "rich", I can comfortably afford my hobbies, and Smash is one of my favorite things in the world so I don't mind buying anything related to it.

I just don't like not knowing the contents because of the toxicity of the internet and speculation in general. Banjo & Kazooie were my most wanted since the N64 Smash came out and while I never really expected them, I always thought they had a non-zero chance. Small, but there. Besides fans of BK and a few small reasonable groups out there, most of the internet seemed to constantly diarrhea all over the idea of them ever having a chance. I respect people's opinions, but it was unwarranted. If they're a video game character, they have a chance. No exceptions. Now, the further away from the protagonist you are, I agree your chances go down, like I don't really expect Marin from Link's Awakening to be playable, but to outright say she's impossible and then constantly talk garbage about them is just annoying. (Welcome to the internet, amirite?)

But yeah, I want the contents of the pass to be announced just so people shut the hell up about that kind of stuff, haha.

As for what's going to be released in the next Direct, be it Friday or in September, I'm pretty convinced we'll be getting FP7 and FP8 announced. Just based on the frequency of announcements and the existence and ongoing pandemic that will absolutely go well into 2021 if not longer, I don't see the frequency changing that much. If there's only going to be one or two major announcements a year, and the "deadline" for Fighter's Pass 2 is the end of 2021, they have to be announcing 5 characters in about the span of a year. I guess they could dump it all in 2021, but I feel they'll announce FP7 with a Fall 2020 release and FP8 with a Winter / Early Spring release personally. Not sure how I feel about non-pass characters. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it, but am not expecting it.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Im now more convinced to believe that the splash art will be something like:

GENO SERVES A HIGHER REQUEST!

Due to his monumental demand since 2 decades, probably one of the 5 biggest in Smash history.

EDIT:

View attachment 283392

SAKURAI JUST POSTED EXOR.

okay it’s not Exor but a man can dream...
Saw this image posted on Twitter and, albeit the hint does remind me more of Mack from SMRPG, this also reminded me of another time Sakurai potentially (and intentionally) hinted at an upcoming DLC fighter. Ya'll remember this?

Yeah, that was such a random coincidence, right?:denzel:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Then who? Monolith Soft? Retro Studios? Next Level Games? Some obscure developer i have never even heard of?
I don´t know, but there isn´t exactly the OG company that has done the remakes/ports for Majorask Mask, Luigi's Mansion 1, Samus Returns, or Kirby Yarn for example. The only "OG" company that does the remakes for their franchise within Nintendo is the Intelligent System for the FE remakes.

Mercury Steam made Samus Returns and Grezzo have worked on the Zelda remakes for example

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/Jjn3kPdEXfY Got this from Newcom Spec so credit where it's due to Rie Sonomura as it'd be cheap not to and I didn't find it (don't really know how the user feels about tagging so just to not be annoying, hopefully they find it). Nate Drake reclarifying it's a general so nothing new. Still seems to be happening Friday without any of the timezone shenanigans people have been discussing and doesn't clarify whether it's a general or a mini but I'd say the latter is more likely because Friday. Not much new but it's nice either way

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
With Zelda remasters, the only one I remember conclusively being rumoured is Skyward Sword so were there others? Would be nice for it to release this year since BotW 2 is probably way off but I'd say Skyward Sword probably spring next year.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as the announcement of the Direct itself goes, today is the earliest we can expect it. My personal bet is going to be tomorrow at the latest if my guess about the talk hearing of a direct on Friday is because of Japanese time zones.

Reactions: QQS

Trevenant

Smash Lord
As far as the announcement of the Direct itself goes, today is the earliest we can expect it. My personal bet is going to be tomorrow at the latest if my guess about the talk hearing of a direct on Friday is because of Japanese time zones.
Has this kind of stuff happened with the leakers saying a direct is coming? Namely Kelios, Nate Drake or Directfeed Games or Nate the Hate or whatever other name you'd like to call his abundance of personas, Zell and Jeff Grubb? NoA really has no reason that we know of to be carrying a Japan time for a direct since they'd have their own time. Last month those 3 were the ones who said we'd get a direct on the 20th last month which they were half right about and it happened exactly on that day meaning whoever is repeating this info is most likely from NoA/whatever country they are in. We would need actual precedence of one of these guys getting a Japan time for a direct for it to feasibly be entertained which I don't think they have. If we are considering these rumours then we should probably take their word for friday.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I would love a Skyward Sword along with Galaxy 1 + 2 remakes, or heck, even just Switch rereleases. I don't know why, but I have a burning hatred for games where you are required to play with the Wii Remote and only the Wii Remote, so I skipped them that generation. I think I've played just about all of the other Mario and Zelda games that didn't require a Wii Remote. (Though with college and timing I did manage to miss out on Twilight Princess.

Along with FP7, maybe FP8, any news on rereleases of these games would be great news. Just finishing up Link's Awakening and Odyssey the other week, I'd love to revisit the Mario / Zelda games I missed out on.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Has this kind of stuff happened with the leakers saying a direct is coming? Namely Kelios, Nate Drake or Directfeed Games or Nate the Hate or whatever other name you'd like to call his abundance of personas, Zell and Jeff Grubb? NoA really has no reason that we know of to be carrying a Japan time for a direct since they'd have their own time. Last month those 3 were the ones who said we'd get a direct on the 20th last month which they were half right about and it happened exactly on that day meaning whoever is repeating this info is most likely from NoA/whatever country they are in. We would need actual precedence of one of these guys getting a Japan time for a direct for it to feasibly be entertained which I don't think they have. If we are considering these rumours then we should probably take their word for friday.
I'm going based on past precedent with what happened with Cloud in Smash 4 and that Friday in North America and a good chunk of Europe will be Saturday in Japan

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
RIGHHHTTTT. Like how Metroid Prime Trilogy HD still exists and Nintendo is holding them off for some reason.
We’ve already established rumors can take time to come to fruition if real, especially this year with it being ridden with a global pandemic. You don’t have to believe they’ll happen, of course, but I really don’t see why you’re acting as if both are 100% not gonna happen in a sarcastic manner, especially the Mario remasters which almost every big insider/source and their grandma talked about with confidence.

I get that you don’t like insiders for some reason, but these dudes, even if they don’t have perfect track records, are still very reliable based on how much they’ve gotten right.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
With Zelda remasters, the only one I remember conclusively being rumoured is Skyward Sword so were there others? Would be nice for it to release this year since BotW 2 is probably way off but I'd say Skyward Sword probably spring next year.
I believe somebody said something about Ocarina of Time getting trademarked or something of that nature? Could be also coming to the Switch along with Skyward Sword.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
So on NateDrake's latest podcast (who most of us know is a legitimate gaming industry insider) starting at 3:29, he said the following...

"Nintendo will host a Nintendo Direct this week on Friday, August 28th. ...to my knowledge, it is a general Direct. And, let's make it simple. If it is announced on Thursday, then it's a general. If it's not announced on Thursday, it means it's shadowdropping on Friday and that would make it a Mini. One thing is for certain, there will be 1st party games and there will be 3rd party games. This is something we should look forward to. Now don't overhype it, this isn't their E3 replacement. I mean it could be in terms of the amount of announcements, it should be a quality show."

If you listen to more of the podcast, Nate is very certain that a Direct is coming this week, no holds bars. He essentially stresses that he doesn't know the Direct's branding. But he also stresses that regardless of whether or not it is a general or Mini, that the Direct should be quality (just don't expect it to be their E3 replacement).

Link to podcast:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
We’ve already established rumors can take time to come to fruition if real, especially this year with it being ridden with a global pandemic. You don’t have to believe they’ll happen, of course, but I really don’t see why you’re acting as if both are 100% not gonna happen in a sarcastic manner, especially the Mario remasters which almost every big insider/source and their grandma talked about with confidence.

I get that you don’t like insiders for some reason, but these dudes, even if they don’t have perfect track records, are still very reliable based on how much they’ve gotten right.
The thing is, Grubb and Kelios are absolutely flawless as far as I recall, can't speak for Nate and KZ.

This person is just another boring pessimist. "Things can't possibly be good because [insert X dumb reason here] and I'd rather be negative than positive because [insert self-justified reason that doesn't really make sense here]."

Ignore them and move, if you have to even Ignore them to make sure you can move on. They will learn soon enough, and then you can enjoy the cathartic relief that comes from all the good news happening combined with those who doubted having to own up to it.

In other news, this project for this post is taking a long while. It begins with video I'm editing but with the fact that I don't get a chance to really work on it until after 6 and I get up at 7 and do manual labor that I'm not used to most of the day makes it hard to work on for too long. Add in that I'm a gamer and like to play games when I'm done and it makes it hard to focus, but more than that this project has required use of GIMP and multiple online tools in addition to Sony Vegas as opposed to my first one which only required my Sony Vegas.

I think that this won't be done until after the Direct, so instead I'm going to work on a meme I think I can get done tonight.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I believe somebody said something about Ocarina of Time getting trademarked or something of that nature? Could be also coming to the Switch along with Skyward Sword.
That would be cool. OoT in HD would be amazing. Smash Ultimate have us a slight state with Great Bay and the desert stage I forgot and such but properly done would be really cool. BotW 2 isn't coming any time soon (at least another year) so I'd happily settle for that. Would be nice if they just made the Switch the Zelda Console by shoving a tonne of the games on there. Wii U has 2 easy ports which could be brought over for instance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah. Basically the rumor since April has been Ocarina of Time HD or a full blown remake. Kind of hoping for a remake with a bunch of new content and BotW engine because that would be cool as hell in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

I mean, Pikmin 3 Deluxe took almost two years to pan out and Metroid Prime 4 was significantly delayed so this is hardly unrealistic.
I'm still wondering what the cutoff point is to consider rumors like Pikmin 3 Deluxe to have been total throwaway predictions that happen to come true. It's not very hard to predict a Switch port of virtually every first party Wii U title that didn't get a 3DS (of all consoles) port after Zelda being a dual platform release, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Pokken getting ports and even Smash Ultimate is something of a non-traditional port, and Mario maker 2 is basically glorified DLC. Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 have floated around for what feels like ever because the Wii U was a barren wasteland and everything else that it had to offer got off of that sinking ship and ended up on some handheld.

All this said, if Metroid Prime Trilogy actually comes true, well, I guess I'll change my tune.

Firox

Smash Master
So on NateDrake's latest podcast (who most of us know is a legitimate gaming industry insider) starting at 3:29, he said the following...

"Nintendo will host a Nintendo Direct this week on Friday, August 28th. ...to my knowledge, it is a general Direct. And, let's make it simple. If it is announced on Thursday, then it's a general. If it's not announced on Thursday, it means it's shadowdropping on Friday and that would make it a Mini. One thing is for certain, there will be 1st party games and there will be 3rd party games. This is something we should look forward to. Now don't overhype it, this isn't their E3 replacement. I mean it could be in terms of the amount of announcements, it should be a quality show."

If you listen to more of the podcast, Nate is very certain that a Direct is coming this week, no holds bars. He essentially stresses that he doesn't know the Direct's branding. But he also stresses that regardless of whether or not it is a general or Mini, that the Direct should be quality (just don't expect it to be their E3 replacement).

Link to podcast:
Now THIS is the kind of info I'm looking for! A fairly legit confirmation of a direct! Woooooooooooo!

a random user

Smash Journeyman
RIGHHHTTTT. Like how Metroid Prime Trilogy HD still exists and Nintendo is holding them off for some reason.
pikmin 3 deluxe

Yeah. Basically the rumor since April has been Ocarina of Time HD or a full blown remake. Kind of hoping for a remake with a bunch of new content and BotW engine because that would be cool as hell in my opinion.
given how ocarina of time (and majoras mask) were remade fairly recently (3ds), i feel that it is more likely that they port those versions as a "deluxe" edition, like they have been with the wii u games that came out around the same time, i do hope they add a few things that were planed for the disk drive expansion that was canceled

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
pikmin 3 deluxe

given how ocarina of time (and majoras mask) were remade fairly recently (3ds), i feel that it is more likely that they port those versions as a "deluxe" edition, like they have been with the wii u games that came out around the same time, i do hope they add a few things that were planed for the disk drive expansion that was canceled
A new hard mode in OoT where every dungeon is like the Water Temple. And when you get to the actual Water Temple, you explode. Repeatedly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to derp around with a timezone converter to see what time a Friday General Direct would be for most of the world. I was told that they're typically 5PM Eastern Time/Warner/AOL so that means...

2-5PM on Friday for a vast majority of North, Central and South America.

10PM -12AM for a vast majority of Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

6 AM for Japan.

This... Is really convenient. Think about it... A typical work/school day around the world is 7am-3PM or 9am-5PM. For most people around the world, they would likely be off work or done with school for the week. This hypothetical Direct would be the weekend for most of the world. For North, South, and Central America roughly after or close to the end of the work day. For Europe, at night but it's not even that late, especially since it's a Friday. For Japan, it's a little early but all your typical Japanese person would have to do is roll over in bed and grab their phone to watch the Direct. This is just another thing on the pile that makes me think that this Direct could potentially be a wiggum biggum.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Things feel conclusive if only because of the volume of stuff that's leaked in the past week:

-Zelda Remasters are likely real.

-BotW2 is likely coming out sooner than we think.

-New hardware rumors are back, seemingly repeating what many people like myself heard in January.

-One of my guys tapped me the other day to back up the N64/Gameboy NSO rumors floating around all summer, fairly confident that one would likely appear in the next Direct. (Also floated the idea of RARE N64 games on the NSO given the brewing storm of Nintendo/Microsoft rumors. Also floated the idea that we could be getting this instead of RARE Replay on Switch and... I'm kind of digging that idea, honestly.)

-Another one of my guys tapping me to suggest they might have found something suggesting a FOURTH dead franchise (not including the NES/Indie collabs) might (keyword: might) eventually happen. I mention this because insider rumors always start to pop like popcorn when a presentation is on the horizon and the idea that yet another Nintendo franchise could be raised from the dead is a big deal.

There's a lot of electricity in the air and it at least FEELS like the axe is going to fall soon.
I mentioned the same idea a month or two ago, it makes the most sense given the state of things.
It could just be ports of the originals though, Rare Replay is still too much but just the two Banjo games is feasible. I've honestly entertained the idea that rather than rereleasing them through the Eshop instead Nintendo and Rare would work out something with a hypothetical N64 Online and have the original versions of their N64 games on the service. That way there's a way to play the games on Switch, we can get Diddy Kong Racing rereleased finally, but Xbox still has the superior XBLA versions and it doesn't take alot of work from Rare.
Also, I still really don't get the doubt surrounding the Mario Collection. This isn't a one person rumor, literally everyone credible under the sun, not even insiders just analysts and journalists in general, has reported on it, every single major gaming website reported on it (even those that almost never cover leaks and rumors), this isn't a Star Fox Grand Prix thing, if they're wrong about this, this is pretty much the biggest and longest lasting fake rumor I've ever seen. And I know you might WANT people to crash and burn, but come the hell on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom