• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
What If Geno had a Palutena's Guidance

Pit: Hey, Lady Palutena, who's this puppet?

Palutena: Geno here is a star spirit from the heavenly realm of Star Road!

Pit: He's from the heavens? So is Geno like me then?

Palutena: In some respects yes. Two decades ago, Star Road was shattered, and Geno was dispatched by a higher authority to descend down to the mortal realm to retrieve its missing pieces and was assisted by Mario!

Pit: What higher authority? Viridi, is he one of yours? He's made of wood after all...

Viridi: Are you kidding? A perfectly good tree DIED to make that wooden husk of his! I'd sooner use him for fire wood!

Palutena: You see Pit, Geno has no real physical form, so he's possessing the body of that toy in order to move about the mortal realm

Virid: Plus his name isn't even Geno! His true name is incomprehensible to mortals

Pit: What is it?

Viridi: View attachment 283285

Palutena:
No, no, it's pronounced View attachment 283286

Pit: Um, so can I get some battle tips?

Viridi: NO! It's View attachment 283287 !

Palutena: View attachment 283288 !!!

Pit: I guess not...
I alredy hear it but just too awesome and it adapts the Mario RPG's style in general. For example when Pit understand tha Palutena and Viridi will just discuss about Geno's real name reminds me when Mario, Mallow and Geno came back to Rose Town when they beat Bowyer and get the 2nd star they explain Gaz all the Star Road story and Geno says: Do you understand it? And he says: I think not, to be honest and then they fall in the floor dissapointed even if he is just a kid who cares about Mario
Hey guys, I'm on the precipice of this post being done but it likely won't be tonight.

To include you all, I want you to hit me up with your favorite Broken Fan Rule from Ultimate.

Basically, whichever fan rule that Ultimate broke that made you feel the most like 'Ha, SUCK ON IT! I TOLD YA!', I want you to hit me up with that right here right now.

Do your best not to make it character-specific (IE 'Ridley is too big' or 'B&K are a dead franchise') but something that encompasses multiple characters (IE 'These characters are too irrelevant') can totally work.
Tbh my favorite ones are: Spirit, Western, Irrelevant and Nintendo won't add they just for fan demand, they don't promote nothing

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm on the precipice of this post being done but it likely won't be tonight.

To include you all, I want you to hit me up with your favorite Broken Fan Rule from Ultimate.

Basically, whichever fan rule that Ultimate broke that made you feel the most like 'Ha, SUCK ON IT! I TOLD YA!', I want you to hit me up with that right here right now.

Do your best not to make it character-specific (IE 'Ridley is too big' or 'B&K are a dead franchise') but something that encompasses multiple characters (IE 'These characters are too irrelevant') can totally work.
"SPIRITS DECONFIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRMMMM"

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

A very specific one, but the most glad that died was "the DLC characters have to appeal to new audiences, not the Smash Bubble" which started beign made when Joker was announced, and died when Banjo was revealed.

The other? "Nintendo characters are not gonna be part of the Fighter Pass" i guess.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

"Relevancy" being kicked in the proverbial groin with K. Rool and then Banjo

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

My favorite ones probably have to be "DLC characters have to promote something and can't just be added for the fans" (Banjo almost completely goes against this, as well as Terry to a lesser extent) and "Spirits deconfirm" (we can all thank Min Min for this one).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Palutena: In some respects yes. Two decades ago, Star Road was shattered, and Geno was dispatched by a higher authority to descend down to the mortal realm to retrieve its missing pieces and was assisted by Mario!

Pit: What higher authority? Viridi, is he one of yours? He's made of wood after all...

Viridi: Are you kidding? A perfectly good tree DIED to make that wooden husk of his! I'd sooner use him for fire wood!

Palutena: You see Pit, Geno has no real physical form, so he's possessing the body of that toy in order to move about the mortal realm

Virid: Plus his name isn't even Geno! His true name is incomprehensible to mortals

Palutena:

This is really well done! Usually these fan guidances are terrible, but this one is legit.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If I had to make a guess of when the direct would be announced, Tuesday at the earliest and Thursday at the absolute latest if occurs on Friday though the more likely one due to time zones is Wednesday to announce the Direct for Thursday
Not really. Again it does seem Friday as this info apparently comes from NoA sources. The Partner Showcase was basically proof of this. NoA has no reason to be passing around Japan times unless it's some crappy leakbait attempt anyway. I just assume it's optimism which is fine.

If we are believing the rumours then we honestly have no reason to doubt it's happening Friday. That falters the idea of a major direct a bit, now that I think about it more but we could get a mini. It seems to be a general anyway not a partner showcase so unless Nintendo decide to piecemeal it out and make it more detrimental to themselves in the long run then we should probably think something will happen or all the rumours were false

Last edited:

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
I just got the idea for a Geno creepypasta where someone's copy of Ultimate glitches out and Geno vanishes. His icon on the CSS is just a black box with nothing in it. When they try to select him, only half of his name plays and the announcer just calls out 'NO'.
But when they start the match his disembodied hat and cape are still there, moving as usual. Half of his specials are glitched, too, and cause the other fighters to T-Pose for several seconds after hitting. When Geno wins, the announcer just repeats 'NO' over and over.
Once again, you created a really fun idea I have to chime in on. I never considered the idea of a Geno creepypasta before, but I really want one to exist, especially if Geno doesn't make it into Smash. Like, it will be a creepypasta entity that represents our lingering anger and disappointment from having our hopes crushed after waiting for so long.

We could call it the "No-Doll", and it's backstory could be based around the idea of the Geno Doll getting possessed by an evil spirit, rather than the Star Spirit we all know. The doll becomes a nightmarish monster that is know for prolonging the death of his victims. It encourages its victims to hope and WISH for some way to survive; getting joy out of listening to them plead and beg as it tortures them. And when it gets to the point where the victim is literally wishing to die and be released, and No-Doll just leans in and whispers "NO." They die only when it wishes to let them. The silencer of wishes and hope, The No-Doll.

Alternatively to your idea of how it could function in Smash, I can imagine this working as a SMRPG creepypasta too. Imagine someone playing SMRPG normally, up until they get to Rose Town, but when they get to the cutscene where the Geno Doll gets possessed, it's not the star spirit that possesses it; instead, some glitchy, shadowy entity enters the doll. The normal music isn't playing during the cutscene, it's dead silent as the Geno Doll gets up and walks out without the usual animation. When they get control of Mario again and leave the house, Rose Town is empty; the Toads that were frozen by the arrows are just gone, and a slower, eerier version of the song that normally plays, "Here's Some Weapons", is playing instead. The player instinctively heads to the Forest Maze next, where things seem normal at first as they follow Geno. However, things start to get unsettling as there's seemingly no end to the paths. Even as the player uses a guide to navigate the forest perfectly, they start ending up in new rooms they don't recognize, like the game is suddenly randomly generating new rooms. There's no end to the maze, and if they try to leave, there's no exit. The music starts to change, the enemies and graphics start to glitch out. No blood or gore, just the game literally breaking little by little. When the player enters into battle, they are greeted with glitched character models that shouldn't even be there; and the darn music just keeps playing. At some point, they can't even follow Geno's model anymore, he doesn't show up; but the player starts getting the feeling... that they're the one being followed. They'll swear that, just for one frame, they saw Geno's hat and cape following just a few steps behind Mario; or that he'll appear for a split second on one of the paths, just standing there, staring at them before disappearing. Every path they take, just makes the graphics and music deteriorate more, until they get to the point where they decide to restart the SNES. But as they do, the game screeches and word "NO." appears on the screen and the game resets and starts right back in the Forest Maze, every time. They're already trapped, unable to escape. All they can do is continue to wander the maze as it becomes more twisted and the No-Doll shifts more and more, twisting and glitching out Geno's sprite, creeping closer and closer, Sprite, hear someone repeating "No.", over and over, getting louder and deeper until they hear it pounding in their ears, driving them mad

I cannot begin to imagine what this abomination would actually look like, but I'd like to challenge all the artists here to come up with their own rendition, with each one being a different form the No-Doll is capable of taking. Come on, let's make our own creepypasta! :D

Griselda

Smash Lord
Once again, you created a really fun idea I have to chime in on. I never considered the idea of a Geno creepypasta before, but I really want one to exist, especially if Geno doesn't make it into Smash. Like, it will be a creepypasta entity that represents our lingering anger and disappointment from having our hopes crushed after waiting for so long.

We could call it the "No-Doll", and it's backstory could be based around the idea of the Geno Doll getting possessed by an evil spirit, rather than the Star Spirit we all know. The doll becomes a nightmarish monster that is know for prolonging the death of his victims. It encourages its victims to hope and WISH for some way to survive; getting joy out of listening to them plead and beg as it tortures them. And when it gets to the point where the victim is literally wishing to die and be released, and No-Doll just leans in and whispers "NO." They die only when it wishes to let them. The silencer of wishes and hope, The No-Doll.

Alternatively to your idea of how it could function in Smash, I can imagine this working as a SMRPG creepypasta too. Imagine someone playing SMRPG normally, up until they get to Rose Town, but when they get to the cutscene where the Geno Doll gets possessed, it's not the star spirit that possesses it; instead, some glitchy, shadowy entity enters the doll. The normal music isn't playing during the cutscene, it's dead silent as the Geno Doll gets up and walks out without the usual animation. When they get control of Mario again and leave the house, Rose Town is empty; the Toads that were frozen by the arrows are just gone, and a slower, eerier version of the song that normally plays, "Here's Some Weapons", is playing instead. The player instinctively heads to the Forest Maze next, where things seem normal at first as they follow Geno. However, things start to get unsettling as there's seemingly no end to the paths. Even as the player uses a guide to navigate the forest perfectly, they start ending up in new rooms they don't recognize, like the game is suddenly randomly generating new rooms. There's no end to the maze, and if they try to leave, there's no exit. The music starts to change, the enemies and graphics start to glitch out. No blood or gore, just the game literally breaking little by little. When the player enters into battle, they are greeted with glitched character models that shouldn't even be there; and the darn music just keeps playing. At some point, they can't even follow Geno's model anymore, he doesn't show up; but the player starts getting the feeling... that they're the one being followed. They'll swear that, just for one frame, they saw Geno's hat and cape following just a few steps behind Mario; or that he'll appear for a split second on one of the paths, just standing there, staring at them before disappearing. Every path they take, just makes the graphics and music deteriorate more, until they get to the point where they decide to restart the SNES. But as they do, the game screeches and word "NO." appears on the screen and the game resets and starts right back in the Forest Maze, every time. They're already trapped, unable to escape. All they can do is continue to wander the maze as it becomes more twisted and the No-Doll shifts more and more, twisting and glitching out Geno's sprite, creeping closer and closer, Sprite, hear someone repeating "No.", over and over, getting louder and deeper until they hear it pounding in their ears, driving them mad

I cannot begin to imagine what this abomination would actually look like, but I'd like to challenge all the artists here to come up with their own rendition, with each one being a different form the No-Doll is capable of taking. Come on, let's make our own creepypasta! :D
"So, my copy of SMRPG is trying to eat my soul, or something. Keeps screeching and won't let me start a new save file."
"..Just get a new copy."
"What? No, have you seen the prices on SNES games these days? I gotta play this one."
"What about the Wii U Virtual Console?"
"The Wii what?"

Someone should totally do this as a fangame, though. Not sure how much you could pull off with an actual romhack. I do enjoy the visual of something following you through the maze, though - like Mario leaves the screen and in the split second it's fading to black you see something coming from the opposite path, but it goes so fast that you can't make it out. As for appearance, I dunno - since my idea didn't really feature the doll at all, and even the canon Geno Doll only seems to get bigger when the spirit possesses it. But if we're trying to twist it, something a little more tree-like might work. Like it's shifting from a possessed formerly-inanimate object and moving towards being an actual living creature.

I'd personally avoid having it look too fleshy or bloody - if only to avoid it just amounting to Geno.EXE or something. I'd almost wanna suggest something stretched out and lanky with a long muzzle, but that's probably just because I've been playing Bloodborne. It might be more unsettling to keep it as close to normal Geno as possible, like it's just something slightly wrong. The uncanny valley and all. Since while your idea is fine too, mine was less about it being monstrous or actively malevolent, and more that there's just something eerily wrong going on during a random play session. Which is why I avoided any blood or unexpected new levels or characters popping up, and tried to keep it as something creepy but still believable within Ultimate.

QQS

Smash Lord

Palutena:

(Just imagine Palutena and Viridi are just spitting out a mess of Mario RPG sound effects in trying to pronounce Geno's name)
One of the last missing things I see about Geno for the first time. Well done there, buddy!

and GENO FOR SMASH! 💙💚

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
"So, my copy of SMRPG is trying to eat my soul, or something. Keeps screeching and won't let me start a new save file."
"..Just get a new copy."
"What? No, have you seen the prices on SNES games these days? I gotta play this one."
"What about the Wii U Virtual Console?"
"The Wii what?"

Someone should totally do this as a fangame, though. Not sure how much you could pull off with an actual romhack. I do enjoy the visual of something following you through the maze, though - like Mario leaves the screen and in the split second it's fading to black you see something coming from the opposite path, but it goes so fast that you can't make it out. As for appearance, I dunno - since my idea didn't really feature the doll at all, and even the canon Geno Doll only seems to get bigger when the spirit possesses it. But if we're trying to twist it, something a little more tree-like might work. Like it's shifting from a possessed formerly-inanimate object and moving towards being an actual living creature.

I'd personally avoid having it look too fleshy or bloody - if only to avoid it just amounting to Geno.EXE or something. I'd almost wanna suggest something stretched out and lanky with a long muzzle, but that's probably just because I've been playing Bloodborne. It might be more unsettling to keep it as close to normal Geno as possible, like it's just something slightly wrong. The uncanny valley and all. Since while your idea is fine too, mine was less about it being monstrous or actively malevolent, and more that there's just something eerily wrong going on during a random play session. Which is why I avoided any blood or unexpected new levels or characters popping up, and tried to keep it as something creepy but still believable within Ultimate.
I definitely agree with you on its design being more tree-like. Like, almost like The Beast from "Over the Garden Wall" with how it has branches growing out of its head like horns. Or that one Mario creepypasta that takes place in a creepy forest, with a monster that looks like a deformed Peach with branches growing out of her body. Just unsettling and uncanny like that. Like it's a tree creature becoming one with the Forest Maze itself. Maybe I did make it sound too malicious; I do have more appreciation for the creepypastas where things are just "off" and build horror from not understanding what's going on. But I also like creepy nightmare fuel designs, so it's hard to find a good balance there, lol. But yeah, definitely nothing like Sonic.EXE because that's just trying too hard be scary in all the wrong ways.

QQS

Smash Lord
I have another vision of the future, correct me if I’m wrong in the near future:

Characters I see 100% happening in FP2:

GENO: you can see why I believe this basically in all my posts in this thread. I always believed this since Ultimate got DLC, and each time that months happened, it confirms my theory even more. At first it was Missing Costume, 2 decades of Fan Demand, Sakurai Acknowledge and Songs Copyrighted. Then Mods Takedown, then again Missing Costume, then the final piece to come full circle and makes me believe even more: Min Min upgrade. After that, it’s just a matter of time to reveal this long demanded character. My most wanted ever and a character that will add many things in many aspects: the Last epic of the Big Four, beautiful design, fresh and fun moveset, epic revival, tons of money, tons of people happy like us. Square used the second spot in FP1 (#72) to reveal Hero; now coincidentally the second spot in FP2 belongs to #77. Also note that Geno is the second member to Join The Party in his Game and probably in FP2 too.

CRASH: the last biggest mascot left. Which is also reviving in Crash 4; which is going to be ported to Switch I think.There is no reason to not have Crash4 ported to Switch if we already have Crash games on Switch. Also, Crash 4 to Switch will perfectly match Crash Joins the Battle; just like Hero did with DQ11 on Switch. Here in monumental scale cause Crash is a Mario-Sonic-Mega Man-Pac Man kind of icon/mascot.

PORKY: (this is my last vision). I have never played these games and only know them since 1999, the first Smash. But I believe he is happening for being a Nintendo villain with a fresh and new moveset and also to follow the sequence of Heroes vs Villains with a franchise which is in Smash since the first Smash.

Well my most wanted EVER have always been: Mega Man, Geno, Skull Kid, Zero from MMX and Knuckles (or Tails).

But I believe Geno, Crash and Porky are the next ones. Other two of the pass probably between Rayman, Dante, Hayabusa, Lloyd, Isaac or Sora. Probably bonuses like Dixie, Bandana and Pokemon.

Anyway the thing here is GENO and he is happening yes or yes. With him playable I’m satisfied 8000%. Cause I will enjoy forever my 2 most wanted 3rd parties ever: Mega Man and Geno!

Best wishes! Cheers for the double reveal very soon (Geno and Crash).

Geno CGI trailer, official design HD and his songs will be the most beautiful thing ever happened in gaming. Having him back with the crew of SMRPG in the best fighting game ever, will be priceless.

Can’t wait for GENO’S AWAKENING, I have been wishing this since I played as Geno
In 1996 with 6 years; and when I fall in love with Smash 3 years later. My inner child will explode in tears of joy when they reveal this pretty doll.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I have another vision of the future, correct me if I’m wrong in the near future:

GENO: you can see why I believe this basically in all my posts in this thread. I always believed this since Ultimate got DLC, and each time that months happened, it confirms my theory even more. At first it was Missing Costume, 2 decades of Fan Demand, Sakurai Acknowledge and Songs Copyrighted. Then Mods Takedown, then again Missing Costume, then the final piece to come full circle and makes me believe even more: Min Min upgrade. After that, it’s just a matter of time to reveal this long demanded character. My most wanted ever and a character that will add many things in many aspects: the Last epic of the Big Four, beautiful design, fresh and fun moveset, epic revival, tons of money, tons of people happy like us. Square used the second spot in FP1 (#72) to reveal Hero; now coincidentally the second spot in FP2 belongs to #77. Also note that Geno is the second member to Join The Party in his Game and probably in FP2 too.

CRASH: the last biggest mascot left. Which is also reviving in Crash 4; which is going to be ported to Switch I think.There is no reason to not have Crash4 ported to Switch if we already have Crash games on Switch. Also, Crash 4 to Switch will perfectly match Crash Joins the Battle; just like Hero did with DQ11 on Switch. Here in monumental scale cause Crash is a Mario-Sonic-Mega Man-Pac Man kind of icon/mascot.

PORKY: (this is my last vision). I have never played these games and only know them since 1999, the first Smash. But I believe he is happening for being a Nintendo villain with a fresh and new moveset and also to follow the sequence of Heroes vs Villains with a franchise which is in Smash since the first Smash.

Well my most wanted EVER have always been: Mega Man, Geno, Skull Kid, Zero from MMX and Knuckles (or Tails).

But I believe Geno, Crash and Porky are the next ones. Other two of the pass probably between Rayman, Dante, Hayabusa, Lloyd, Isaac or Sora. Probably bonuses like Dixie, Bandana and Pokemon.

Anyway the thing here is GENO and he is happening yes or yes. With him playable I’m satisfied 8000%. Cause I will enjoy forever my 2 most wanted 3rd parties ever: Mega Man and Geno!

Best wishes! Cheers for the double reveal very soon (Geno and Crash).

Geno CGI trailer, official design HD and his songs will be the most beautiful thing ever happened in gaming. Having him back with the crew of SMRPG in the best fighting game ever, will be priceless.

Can’t wait for GENO’S AWAKENING, I have been wishing this since I played as Geno
In 1996 with 6 years; and when I fall in love with Smash 3 years later. My inner child will explode in tears of joy when they reveal this pretty doll.
Hope it's a double reveal but the more I think about it, if it's happening Friday I think it's probably going to be some kind of mini. The leakers seem to be fairly certain it's an actual direct with first party stuff in it too and not some announcement. If it's a mini we would probably be lucky to get one reveal and not just a crappy guessing game. If it was a general full direct wouldn't they just hold it on Thursday? Hope to be wrong though.

The ARMS discussion turned into everyone beating a dead horse quickly due to how much we knew and didn't know at the same time. If it's the Mario series in general a guessing game wouldn't work as well as a fighting game with one title to its name while still being relatively young but it's Nintendo. This is probably the pessimist in me speaking but for the most part I haven't really been wrong so that's fun I guess.

None of it affects Geno aside from when he may be revealed but him actually getting in is what matters. And he is the front runner for Mario characters which are in general pretty likely so he should be fine.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Hope it's a double reveal but the more I think about it, if it's happening Friday I think it's probably going to be some kind of mini. The leakers seem to be fairly certain it's an actual direct with first party stuff in it too and not some announcement. If it's a mini we would probably be lucky to get one reveal and not just a crappy guessing game. If it was a general full direct wouldn't they just hold it on Thursday? Hope to be wrong though.
I remember when it was brought up, it was pointed out that we've had a Direct on a Friday at least once before... but I don't know if we know what kind of Direct that one was, whether it was a general, a mini, or game-focused.

I've no idea what kind of Direct to expect on Friday (assuming it's coming on Friday and not earlier or later). All the big insider guys except Jeff Grubb seem mostly confidant that, regardless of what it is, we're at least getting something this week that's much more substantial than just an 8-minute Partner Showcase. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that they're right and we won't get blindsided again, but who knows...

Griselda

Smash Lord
I definitely agree with you on its design being more tree-like. Like, almost like The Beast from "Over the Garden Wall" with how it has branches growing out of its head like horns. Or that one Mario creepypasta that takes place in a creepy forest, with a monster that looks like a deformed Peach with branches growing out of her body. Just unsettling and uncanny like that. Like it's a tree creature becoming one with the Forest Maze itself. Maybe I did make it sound too malicious; I do have more appreciation for the creepypastas where things are just "off" and build horror from not understanding what's going on. But I also like creepy nightmare fuel designs, so it's hard to find a good balance there, lol. But yeah, definitely nothing like Sonic.EXE because that's just trying too hard be scary in all the wrong ways.
I'm not familiar with the Mario forest creepypasta, but I do recall The Beast. Branch antlers would be cool, but again that might just be because I've got Bloodborne on the mind. I'd still want it to be like Geno, though, rather than just a tree monster. Maybe keeping his gun theme, but firing out thorns or something instead of bullets.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
View attachment 283304

ElizaArtz on Twitter did this Vol. 2 Spirit Board menu concept, guess who joined the battle! (Sorry if it was posted before)
Dude, this looks so good. If the finished official DLC is anywhere near as clean as this, I’d be impressed. I personally would be happy with the pass as well with that set. I do think at least two of them will make it in, but it’s a solid set there.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Just for clarification, which mobile game are you referring to and was it anything official?
Sorry to say I don’t remember the app’s name or details anymore. My recollection tells me it was an official Nintendo-themed-and-sanction quiz. The app held (might still exist, not sure) regular quizzes and Nintendo had them do one for them. The quiz only had ten multiple choice questions and one of them was which game has a wooden doll that comes to life. I think it’s listed in Fatmanonice’s Geno-for-SmashBros manifesto.

I was confident in Geno before, but what cemented it to me was 2 things. First, in a random quiz from a mobile app with mostly non-gamer participants, Nintendo chose, out of its incomprehensibly gigantic library of games and characters and stories, one of its limited 10 questions to be about SMRPG, an old and very obscure game for that audience. Second, out of every possible reference they could have chosen in SMRPG, all the characters and locations and minigames and stories, they chose Geno to be the clue (though they didn’t mention him by name). The question you have to ask yourself is not why did they pick SMRPG and Geno. It’s, why did they pick SMRPG and Geno when they could have picked anything else?

Geno has 0 modern relevance to Nintendo besides fan demand in SmashBros. Either they were testing the waters of general familiarity with Geno/SMRPG, or someone at least a little high up the creative corporate ladder in charge of finalizing the quiz likes Geno. Either bodes well enough, especially given the timing of the quiz, which is around when they would have been solidifying FP2. That last sentence can’t be understated so I’ll say it again. The mobile game quiz Nintendo deliberately made happen, by design included a question with Geno as the clue, and it was right around the same time he would have been selected or at least very seriously considered for SSBU FP2 (late 2018 if I’m not mistaken).

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I remember when it was brought up, it was pointed out that we've had a Direct on a Friday at least once before... but I don't know if we know what kind of Direct that one was, whether it was a general, a mini, or game-focused.

I've no idea what kind of Direct to expect on Friday (assuming it's coming on Friday and not earlier or later). All the big insider guys except Jeff Grubb seem mostly confidant that, regardless of what it is, we're at least getting something this week that's much more substantial than just an 8-minute Partner Showcase. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that they're right and we won't get blindsided again, but who knows...
That was the very first general direct apparently but hasn't happened since in what should be about 7 years of us getting them since. We should be getting something come Friday unless Nintendo year it to pieces like what apparently happened last month. We should probably have some idea of who the new character is. Extra emphasis on some as a mini seems to be a completely plausible outcome and they may pull another guessing game.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
That was the very first general direct apparently but hasn't happened since in what should be about 7 years of us getting them since. We should be getting something come Friday unless Nintendo year it to pieces like what apparently happened last month. We should probably have some idea of who the new character is. Extra emphasis on some as a mini seems to be a completely plausible outcome and they may pull another guessing game.
There was a Friday Direct (General Direct) in May 2013.
Now please stop pattern******* nothing makes sense this year.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
There was a Friday Direct (General Direct) in May 2013.
Now please stop pattern******* nothing makes sense this year.
But I still don't see how that would any chance of them not holding a general major direct a day before considering they are never done on Fridays. I was told by someone else about the first direct airing then so if I was incorrect, my bad.

Tbh due to this year not making sense, that itself throws whether it would be a major blowout like I've seen the majority of people expecting into proportion. Say BOTW 2 was going to be shown in the direct, that would have probably been cut out as that is probably longer away.

We could get a character reveal but I kind of doubt it. And we have no reason not to believe that if it was a full on general, we wouldn't get it Thursday aside from 1 instance that occurred 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I have really high doubts that Porky would be a part of this fighter pass.

Before Min-Min came along you had people pointing at the lack of a Porky spirit and that it looked strange....but now that spirits don't deconfirm it doesn't look like Porkys spirit was left out to make it possible for him to be playable.

I don't know why Porky doesn't have a spirit, but I don't think it was because they wanted to make him playable.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
But I still don't see how that would any chance of them not holding a general major direct a day before considering they are never done on Fridays. I was told by someone else about the first direct airing then so if I was incorrect, my bad.

Tbh due to this year not making sense, that itself throws whether it would be a major blowout like I've seen the majority of people expecting into proportion. Say BOTW 2 was going to be shown in the direct, that would have probably been cut out as that is probably longer away.

We could get a character reveal but I kind of doubt it. And we have no reason not to believe that if it was a full on general, we wouldn't get it Thursday aside from 1 instance that occurred 7 years ago.
The way I see it, COVID isn't going away any time soon. I don't expect their workflow to change much in 2021, at least until there's a functional safe vaccine for the general population, which isn't immediately around 2020's corner. If the new norm for Direct announcements for a year or two is a couple times a year with a mini or two here or there, and if by chance this week will have a full Direct, there's no way they don't announce at least one Smash FP character. Unless they start announcing characters outside of Directs, sort of like how Byleth was, I imagine every major presentation will have at least one character, given that they're 4+ months apart. Not saying they have to be released around that time, but like... if this August/September Direct is a full Direct, I almost expect FP7 to be announced and released for Sept/Oct, and then FP8 to be revealed and put at something like Winter 2020. They've made no indication yet that Smash DLC has been delayed, so until they do, there are still 5 characters to announce and release in 15 months. That's roughly one every 3 months, max.

Also, Friday isn't as unheard of as people are saying. Here is a short list of the Friday presentations that have existed in the past. Most are themed like the "Xenoblade Chronicles X" one, "Animal Crossing: New Leaf", etc, but there are some General ones strewn in there too.

List of Nintendo Direct presentations
Broadcast typeCoverageDateRegions
Nintendo DirectNintendo 3DS and Wii games
Friday, October 21, 2011​
Japan, North America
Nintendo Direct MiniBrain Age: Concentration Training
Friday, September 7, 2012​
Japan
Nintendo Direct MiniNew Super Mario Bros. 2
Friday, September 28, 2012​
Japan
Nintendo DirectAnimal Crossing: New Leaf
Friday, October 5, 2012​
Japan
Friday, February 1, 2013​
Japan
Nintendo DirectWii U and Nintendo 3DS games
Friday, May 17, 2013​
Japan, North America, Europe, Australia
Nintendo DirectThe Wonderful 101
Friday, August 9, 2013​
Nintendo DirectNintendo 3DS games
Friday, January 17, 2014​
South Korea
Nintendo DirectYo-kai Watch 2
Friday, July 4, 2014​
Japan
Nintendo 3DS DirectNintendo 3DS games
Friday, July 11, 2014​
Japan
Friday, August 29, 2014​
Japan
Nintendo DirectXenoblade Chronicles X
Friday, February 6, 2015​
Japan
Friday, April 24, 2015​
North America
Pokémon DirectPokémon Sun and Moon and 20th anniversary
Friday, February 26, 2016​
Japan, North America, Europe, Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan
Indie WorldIndie games for the Nintendo Switch
Friday, May 11, 2018​
Japan
Friday, May 31, 2019​
Japan

And hey, I could of course be completely wrong about this. I'm not saying I'm sold on Friday being a full Direct, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me if it was a full Direct and there was not at least one Smash reveal though.

D

Deleted member

The way I see it, COVID isn't going away any time soon. I don't expect their workflow to change much in 2021, at least until there's a functional safe vaccine for the general population, which isn't immediately around 2020's corner. If the new norm for Direct announcements for a year or two is a couple times a year with a mini or two here or there, and if by chance this week will have a full Direct, there's no way they don't announce at least one Smash FP character. Unless they start announcing characters outside of Directs, sort of like how Byleth was, I imagine every major presentation will have at least one character, given that they're 4+ months apart. Not saying they have to be released around that time, but like... if this August/September Direct is a full Direct, I almost expect FP7 to be announced and released for Sept/Oct, and then FP8 to be revealed and put at something like Winter 2020. They've made no indication yet that Smash DLC has been delayed, so until they do, there are still 5 characters to announce and release in 15 months. That's roughly one every 3 months, max.

Also, Friday isn't as unheard of as people are saying. Here is a short list of the Friday presentations that have existed in the past. Most are themed like the "Xenoblade Chronicles X" one, "Animal Crossing: New Leaf", etc, but there are some General ones strewn in there too.

Japan, North America
Japan
Japan
Friday, October 5, 2012​
Japan
Japan
Friday, May 17, 2013​
Friday, August 9, 2013​
South Korea
Friday, July 4, 2014​
Japan
Friday, July 11, 2014​
Japan
Friday, August 29, 2014​
Japan
Japan
Friday, April 24, 2015​
North America
Friday, May 11, 2018​
Japan
Friday, May 31, 2019​
Japan

And hey, I could of course be completely wrong about this. I'm not saying I'm sold on Friday being a full Direct, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me if it was a full Direct and there was not at least one Smash reveal though.
Very interesting that almost all of the Friday directs were Japan exclusive. I have to wonder if that means we'll get it on Thursday...

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Very interesting that almost all of the Friday directs were Japan exclusive. I have to wonder if that means we'll get it on Thursday...
I'll admit it was a little unclear at the page I was looking at whether that was Friday for North America or the actual Friday in Japan since it wasn't listed in a time zone. I assume though that it's as you said, a Friday Direct date for a Japan exclusive Direct is probably one that aired in what would be Thursday evening here.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to say I don’t remember the app’s name or details anymore. My recollection tells me it was an official Nintendo-themed-and-sanction quiz. The app held (might still exist, not sure) regular quizzes and Nintendo had them do one for them. The quiz only had ten multiple choice questions and one of them was which game has a wooden doll that comes to life. I think it’s listed in Fatmanonice’s Geno-for-SmashBros manifesto.

I was confident in Geno before, but what cemented it to me was 2 things. First, in a random quiz from a mobile app with mostly non-gamer participants, Nintendo chose, out of its incomprehensibly gigantic library of games and characters and stories, one of its limited 10 questions to be about SMRPG, an old and very obscure game for that audience. Second, out of every possible reference they could have chosen in SMRPG, all the characters and locations and minigames and stories, they chose Geno to be the clue (though they didn’t mention him by name). The question you have to ask yourself is not why did they pick SMRPG and Geno. It’s, why did they pick SMRPG and Geno when they could have picked anything else?

Geno has 0 modern relevance to Nintendo besides fan demand in SmashBros. Either they were testing the waters of general familiarity with Geno/SMRPG, or someone at least a little high up the creative corporate ladder in charge of finalizing the quiz likes Geno. Either bodes well enough, especially given the timing of the quiz, which is around when they would have been solidifying FP2. That last sentence can’t be understated so I’ll say it again. The mobile game quiz Nintendo deliberately made happen, by design included a question with Geno as the clue, and it was right around the same time he would have been selected or at least very seriously considered for SSBU FP2 (late 2018 if I’m not mistaken).
Remember this tweet?-

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Remember this tweet?-

This tweet is 2 years old now. Hopefully, we'll find out sometime this week whether or not the seeds of Geno's inclusion were being sown back then.

D

Deleted member

I'll admit it was a little unclear at the page I was looking at whether that was Friday for North America or the actual Friday in Japan since it wasn't listed in a time zone. I assume though that it's as you said, a Friday Direct date for a Japan exclusive Direct is probably one that aired in what would be Thursday evening here.
It is not as common anymore since Nintendo has really tried to embrace a global release schedule if at all possible, but they used to do an awful lot of directs for Japan's consumption exclusively. Towards the bottom of that list, you start to see directs that are changed/updated for the US, like the Xenoblade or "3DS Games" and as such air on different dates. Assuming a Friday direct for us would likely make this Japan's first Saturday direct, which just makes it even more strange.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

"Spirits deconfirm" because it was one of the dumbest examples of gatekeeping ever and the one that was fought the most aggressively. It was also the Titanic of many an edgelord that was like "if there's literally a single promotion of any kind in DLC, I'll delete my account and then make snow angels in dog **** outside my school! UH DURR HURR HURR!"

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Even if it is a mini Direct, I am just happy we are finally getting some formal information again.

Also, would be a bonus if this Direct is on Thursday (Birthday).

EDIT: ForsakenM ForsakenM "Relevancy" rule being stomped out by the likes of King K. Rool and Banjo.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
"Spirits deconfirm" because it was one of the dumbest examples of gatekeeping ever and the one that was fought the most aggressively. It was also the Titanic of many an edgelord that was like "if there's literally a single promotion of any kind in DLC, I'll delete my account and then make snow angels in dog **** outside my school! UH DURR HURR HURR!"
Its disturbing how the deconfirming speculation scene over the years went from:

'I'm not confident that -character- will be added because -actual plausible reasons- but I could be wrong!'

To

'No, dumbass, -character- will never happen EVER because -pathetically flimsy 'proof'- and you know what? GOOD. All the better they aren't added just to spite that fanbase. Screw 'em.'

Detractors have become far more obnoxious, vindictive and obsessive than supporters, but its the supporters always get singled out as the problem in Smash speculation.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
To me, the "Relevancy Rule" never really made sense. Maybe not for Smash 64 (though Captain Falcon wasn't everyone's favorite character at the time, he at least had an active game.), but you can't tell me that Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., or Duck Hunt were anywhere near relevant at the time of their release. (Heck, even now outside of Smash, when's the last time you saw any of them in anything outside their source game, decades old.) Part of why I like Smash is the representation throughout the years of video gaming history. If they're a video game character, they're relevant enough to be a character in Smash. The end.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
To me, the "Relevancy Rule" never really made sense. Maybe not for Smash 64 (though Captain Falcon wasn't everyone's favorite character at the time, he at least had an active game.), but you can't tell me that Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., or Duck Hunt were anywhere near relevant at the time of their release. (Heck, even now outside of Smash, when's the last time you saw any of them in anything outside their source game, decades old.) Part of why I like Smash is the representation throughout the years of video gaming history. If they're a video game character, they're relevant enough to be a character in Smash. The end.
The only thing more baffling than choosing a weak fanrule hill to die on is still adamantly supporting it even after it gets completely debunked. Relevancy was throw around constantly as proof against K Rool but he destroyed that argument, only for people to pick it right back up in speculation with Banjo and Kazooie. The confusing thing is that relevancy was used far more against Banjo and Kazooie's addition than things like being owned by Microsoft which at least has some leg to stand on as a potential hurdle to get over compared to relevancy.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t be surprised if detractors actually do not care about relevancy. They just find some reason to downplay an inclusion being impossible because they simply don’t like a character. To this day a person using the relevancy argument after if Geno is in, they’re clearly ignoring the rule debunked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I wouldn’t be surprised if detractors actually do not care about relevancy. They just find some reason to downplay an inclusion being impossible because they simply don’t like a character. To this day a person using the relevancy argument after if Geno is in, they’re clearly ignoring the rule debunked.
I will explain my thoughts on this post in the form of a GIF

Firox

Smash Master
Yup. It all boils down to one thing: DENIAL. At the end of the day, people get butt hurt when someone else gets their pick and they don't, so they make up rules and move the goal posts to justify themselves. It was never about actual relevance or a bunch of PNG's. It was about ****ting on other peoples' desires to feel better about their own. Classic humans being humans.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Japan, North America
Japan
Japan
Friday, October 5, 2012​
Japan
Japan
Friday, May 17, 2013​
Friday, August 9, 2013​
South Korea
Friday, July 4, 2014​
Japan
Friday, July 11, 2014​
Japan
Friday, August 29, 2014​
Japan
Japan
Friday, April 24, 2015​
North America
Friday, May 11, 2018​
Japan
Friday, May 31, 2019​
Japan

If we do get a general then even I will admit the next character is practically a guarantee. I'm sceptical of a double reveal due to how Nintendo has generally approached the year which is pretty much confirmed to be due to the virus, that's practically the only thing different about this year from any other year and anything else people might say would have caused it pretty much stems back to the virus.

I always see people say how Sony and Microsoft aren't really affected by it but the way I see it, that's probably because they have completely new systems launching in a couple of months so they can't afford to screw up. They can't really let marketing and such be affected otherwise the systems themselves would be affected. I'm not saying Nintendo sticking their heels in the ground isn't dire but it's pretty self explanatory as to why it would be more dire if done by Sony or Microsoft. I think a Mini is probably more likely due to how unoften they have occurred in comparison to Thursday but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom