• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Please don't hate me for asking a question like this on this board, but are there any Square characters that you guys would accept if they made it in over Geno? Now, I really want Geno for all of you guys, and I really loved SMRPG, so I mean no ill will by asking.

For me, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with You ticks all the boxes for a Square character I want in Smash. History with Nintendo? Check. (Original game and the remastered Final Remix are both Nintendo exclusives.) Amazing soundtrack? Check. Unique aesthetics? Check. (Seriously, if you haven't seen the game or know anything about it, just Google the title and go to Images.) And it looks like they want to continue the series, at least in the form of the Final Remix sort of lead up as well as the anime they're releasing next year. (Though I think the anime is just a retelling of the first one.)

I personally and selfishly want Neku over Geno, but overall I hope Geno makes it in as it's been a long time coming and there are clearly some incredibly dedicated fans here and in the Smash community in general.
Probably no. Geno is the only Square character I am truly attached to. I’m not interested in another swordfighter like Crono or 2B. I think Lara Croft isn’t appealing to me honestly. Maybe her since she’s a gaming icon left for Smash. I would trade Cloud for Black Mage as the FF rep. I like Mallow, but it doesn’t feel right having him over Geno since I personally think Geno is a better fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Please don't hate me for asking a question like this on this board, but are there any Square characters that you guys would accept if they made it in over Geno? Now, I really want Geno for all of you guys, and I really loved SMRPG, so I mean no ill will by asking.

For me, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with You ticks all the boxes for a Square character I want in Smash. History with Nintendo? Check. (Original game and the remastered Final Remix are both Nintendo exclusives.) Amazing soundtrack? Check. Unique aesthetics? Check. (Seriously, if you haven't seen the game or know anything about it, just Google the title and go to Images.) And it looks like they want to continue the series, at least in the form of the Final Remix sort of lead up as well as the anime they're releasing next year. (Though I think the anime is just a retelling of the first one.)

I personally and selfishly want Neku over Geno, but overall I hope Geno makes it in as it's been a long time coming and there are clearly some incredibly dedicated fans here and in the Smash community in general.

Crono. Easily.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Ehhhhhh, to be honest, I am more attached to Geno than I am with any other character there is from Square-Enix.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Gex. Just based on the second game alone he'd have a lot of cool stuff to bring to Smash, such as the numerous amazing music tracks and a bevy of interesting stage ideas to pick from. And that's not even mentioning what they could do for Gex's moveset. I'b be pretty happy if he ever got in.

I also wouldn't be upset if Crono got in.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

Agree on Neku. It's hard to say whether I'd prefer the personal gratification of Neku or Geno ending a very long wait, but I'd say they're at least on par with each other.

Honorable mention to Zidane Tribal--I haven't played FFIX myself, but it's probably the FF I'm most interested in, and Zidane seems fun.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Eh...Geno is still mostly a Nintendo character in my eyes, and should honestly have been in forever ago.

That being said, though, I would love to see more casters in Smash, and Final Fantasy has an abundance of them. I think Black Mage / Vivi / Shantotto would all interchangeably be great, unique additions to the game.

D

Deleted member

No, I would not, and mostly it's because I'm not asking for a Square character, I'm asking for a Mario character that Square happens to own.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

So obviously Geno is my #1 pic overall, but I gotta say, I wouldn’t HATE IT if Yuna showed up in the game. Her guns are a bit reminiscent of Bayonetta, so I would prefer if all her specials were spellcaster oriented.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, as I don't really know a lot of Square characters, Geno's the only one I truly want. Let this endless feeling of waiting end Sakurai ;;;

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So, we are less than 10 days from the fabled Direct giving us our fan-favorite Star Warrior. I was looking back at other fan-favorite trailers and stumbled upon the Gangplank Galleon remix and I wanted to ask this question: What would be your reaction if the Beware the Forest's Mushrooms remix had lyrics / vocals added to it?

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Yea, a Dragon Quest Hero ;)

In all seriousness, not really? Dragon Quest was my one real exception because its a series with a massive (and generally Nintendo related) legacy and because Dragon Quest V is my favorite RPG and one of my top 3 favorite games. But Super Mario RPG is probably my 4th favorite game, so you can see the conflict there. Anyone but Geno kinda feels like a slap in the face at this point, you give him this costume in Smash 4 specifically because you know he is a popular and highly requested character, but then still don't decide to add him when given the chance? It's not that I don't like other Square choices like Crono or Neku, but aside from Sora none of them have the same demand. (and Sora is owned by Disney anyway.)

Not to mention like other people have brought up, Geno wouldn't be getting in to represent Sqaure, he's a Mario character first and foremost. A character who represents a very important game in said franchise that neither company either can or wants to awknowledge for various reasons.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still think that FP7 and chances are FP 8 will probably be revealed next week; and I don't think they'll be "underwhelming" either. Usually E3 pciks tend to be pretty exciting (and mostly fulfill the Western fanbases wishes)

For FP7 I still think Geno is looking pretty likely (I won't say hard confirmed or anything, but likely nonetheless). They tend to reveal big/long time requested characters at E3 so it fits pretty well with him, and while Geno isn't unpopular in Japan, it's safe to say the most of his appeal comes form the West, so I think he makes "sense" as a potential E3 pick.

Now I don't think FP 8 is "guaranteed" to show, but it's been a pretty long time so it would be "nice" to reveal them alongside FP 7. However, I wonder how they're going to approach FP 8. Last year, they did Banjo for the "Western appeal" and Hero for the "Eastern appeal", but even with that; there's no guarantee it'll end up being a character mostly appealing to the Eastern fanbase. The current rumors place a decent chance for Microsoft (Chief/Steve), Capcom (Dante), Activision (Crash), and Namco (Lloyd). But at the same time most/all of these characters also have a bigger push in the West than the East too. So who knows, we may end up getting a ton of Western fulfillment this upcoming direct rather than balancing it out like last year and characters 9-11 focus on finishing the Eastern fanbase's wishes.

The big Eastern (appealing) requests tend to end up being something like Rex, Bandana Dee, Reimu, Arle, Monster Hunter. Oddly enough Tales doesn't do super well in Smash polls in the East, despite being far more popular there (probably due to the characters being far more split in terms of fanbases there, compared to here).

So how would you feel if this ended up being the fighters pass?
FP 6: Min Min
FP 7: Geno
FP 8: Master Chief
FP 9: Reimu/Arle
FP 10: Dante
FP 11: Rex/XC 3 protag (late next year lines up with a potential XC3/monosoft game so it could be used to promote that, which Smash tends to end up doing as the "final" DLC character anyways)

Oddly enough, I think this pass makes a decent amount of sense in who we could potentially end up getting. Obviously it doesn't have to be these exact characters, but I think we will end up getting similar "scope" of characters.

Also a potential Geno and Master Chief reveal next presentation would be sweet.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

You don’t have to worry man, nobody’s gonna hate you for this question. It’s a good one and got a lot of us thinking (Not like we can do much else during these direct droughts).

For me personally, it’d be Black Mage. I was primarily a Nintendo kid growing up, so I never really knew about other game series like Final Fantasy because I never owned an Xbox/Playstation. I did however play an unhealthy amount of Mario Sports Mix on the Wii, and my favorite character was always Black Mage.

It wasn’t until I got older that I realized Black Mage and a handful of other characters were actually from Final Fantasy. This discovery elicited a resounding “huh, neat” from me, and I just kinda moved on.

But yeah I’d say Black Mage would be my second option besides Geno. I’d love to see my old basketball partner in Smash, and maybe his inclusion would push me to actually play through a Final Fantasy game.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If I had to have a different Square Enix character aside from Geno, I guess Crono just for the music. Lucca's my favorite character though so in a "realistic" scenario I would hope for at least a Mii costume of her.
Crono's the one Square Enix character I'll root for once Geno's put in the game, purely for music. But he's got incredible moveset potential, and his Final Smash could be a Triple Tech (preferably with Marle and Lucca).

Even his spirit battles can be easy designed, with ZSS as Marle, Geninja as Frog, and ROB as Robo. Mewtwo and two Kirbies can even mirror the Lavos Core battle.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still think that FP7 and chances are FP 8 will probably be revealed next week; and I don't think they'll be "underwhelming" either. Usually E3 pciks tend to be pretty exciting (and mostly fulfill the Western fanbases wishes)

For FP7 I still think Geno is looking pretty likely (I won't say hard confirmed or anything, but likely nonetheless). They tend to reveal big/long time requested characters at E3 so it fits pretty well with him, and while Geno isn't unpopular in Japan, it's safe to say the most of his appeal comes form the West, so I think he makes "sense" as a potential E3 pick.

Now I don't think FP 8 is "guaranteed" to show, but it's been a pretty long time so it would be "nice" to reveal them alongside FP 7. However, I wonder how they're going to approach FP 8. Last year, they did Banjo for the "Western appeal" and Hero for the "Eastern appeal", but even with that; there's no guarantee it'll end up being a character mostly appealing to the Eastern fanbase. The current rumors place a decent chance for Microsoft (Chief/Steve), Capcom (Dante), Activision (Crash), and Namco (Lloyd). But at the same time most/all of these characters also have a bigger push in the West than the East too. So who knows, we may end up getting a ton of Western fulfillment this upcoming direct rather than balancing it out like last year and characters 9-11 focus on finishing the Eastern fanbase's wishes.

The big Eastern (appealing) requests tend to end up being something like Rex, Bandana Dee, Reimu, Arle, Monster Hunter. Oddly enough Tales doesn't do super well in Smash polls in the East, despite being far more popular there (probably due to the characters being far more split in terms of fanbases there, compared to here).

FP 11: Rex/XC 3 protag (late next year lines up with a potential XC3/monosoft game so it could be used to promote that, which Smash tends to end up doing as the "final" DLC character anyways)

Oddly enough, I think this pass makes a decent amount of sense in who we could potentially end up getting. Obviously it doesn't have to be these exact characters, but I think we will end up getting similar "scope" of characters.

Geno, I don't really care about, but he would please a lot of people and we can finally put all the arguments to rest. Overall, he would bring more good than bad.
Master Chief isn't someone I actively push for, but he's a gaming icon who would've earned his place and I would be satisfied with him. Plus, I have a friend who really really REALLY likes Halo; As in, he's going to buy a Switch and a copy of SSBU just for MC if he gets in, then shove a gun into his screen and through mine until I purchase the DLC as well. This is not an exaggeration.
Reimu is my most wanted by a long shot and I will be extremely content with her. Anything else will just be a bonus after her.
Dante would be awesome. His attitude and playstyle would be a joy to see, and the soundtrack is a gift to the ears.
Rex is a pretty safe bet, and I'd be fine with him. Getting XC2's OST in Smash would be worth it.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I don’t think we’re getting FP8. I think we’re going to hit another info drought at least till early next year.
Agreed, this direct better be epic to tie us over until early next year! Staggered and steady releases of content into 2021 would be perfection.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don’t think we’re getting FP8. I think we’re going to hit another info drought at least till early next year.
I can't see that, atleast the waiting until next year part. If we really are getting a general next week I think it's a pretty good sign that stuff is mostly back on track, and for Smash it's obvious that the team worked out it's kinks with working remotely already anyway and that since it was DLC it wasn't as bad regardless. Especially if 7 is going to be a shadowdrop, which lets be real, if it is releasing in September like we think there's no reason they wouldn't hold the Sakurai Presents alongside the Direct like they did with Banjo, even if they wouldn't release for a few more weeks after. Ruling out a double reveal entirely seems silly.

Quincycoatl

Smash Rookie
Personally I'm not expecting FP8 to be revealed at this supposed next direct but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do. Assuming FP7 gets released in September, I'd estimate we'll get FP8 revealed January or February much like Byleth was.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
If I had to have a different Square Enix character aside from Geno, I guess Crono just for the music. Lucca's my favorite character though so in a "realistic" scenario I would hope for at least a Mii costume of her.
If I had another Square Enix choice besides Geno;
  • Tifa
  • Lara Croft
  • Crono

and for one's that'd be out of left field:
  • Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble
  • Yoyo Yoko from Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
Things are picking up in the rumour mill, eh? For this very reason, I'll try to avoid spoilers like the plague by only getting Nintendo updates from NoA's Twitter until the much-fabled hypothetical late August Direct airs. I think we're pretty safe in assuming that something is coming soon, given recent retailer leaks and... erm... subtle hints from generally trustworthy insiders like Zell, NateDrake and Jeff Grubb.

Until then, here's hoping that you'll eventually get your batsh*t crazy K. Rool moment. May the coming days be the end of the Star Road for you Geno supporters...

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
On one hand, it will suck if it turns out that we would have to wait longer for Geno (if those hints are anything to go by)

On the other, Dante is on my wanted characters list so that's cool

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, it will suck if it turns out that we would have to wait longer for Geno (if those hints are anything to go by)

On the other, Dante is on my wanted characters list so that's cool
The Dante hint was just bait. It could be Dante, but it won’t be because of that hint.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
My prediction is pretty much the same. However, I do think there is a distinct possibility we could have Fighter #8 revealed late in the year, but not released until earlier the next year like Byleth (though there is also the possibility that the fighter has a similar reveal and release cycle to Byleth as well).

Personally I'm not expecting FP8 to be revealed at this supposed next direct but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do. Assuming FP7 gets released in September, I'd estimate we'll get FP8 revealed January or February much like Byleth was.
I'm only expecting #7. I think that's really reasonable.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About who's next, I am not really with everyone else. I do think FP8, as in the eighth DLC character, will be shown in this possible next Direct. Of course, I could be wrong, but you gotta believe!

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm fairly confident in seeing both FP7 and FP8 revealed and released by year's end. It's frankly a bit disappointing to see people be this pessimistic.
the reason folks likely feel so pessimistic is due to how long we've been without ANY news.

...also other things going on right now have also probably made folks a little less optimistic and more pessimistic in general.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I know Sakurai talked about Lloyd being the obvious pick, but that was 6 years ago so maybe he’s changed his mind now. He could pick Yuri to appeal to Japan to balance things out with any Western oriented picks. Or perhaps Namco would ask for Yuri instead of Lloyd.

That line-up would be pretty hype though. Master Chief/Dante are my two most wanted, it’d be great to finally see Geno, I’m cool with a Japanese oriented pick (especially if Mr America aka Chief gets in) & ending things with a Nintendo character makes sense. Especially since it’s a Nintendo series a lot of people want to see get another character. I’d be a bit bummed about no Crash, but I’d still be extremely happy.

I’m curious. Who do you guys want the most after Geno? I know some of you said you’re done with Smash speculation after he potentially gets in, but do you guys still want anyone after him or is Geno the endgame?

For me, there is no endgame since I play so many games & would love to see many of them get some love in Smash.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Considering the Small Battlefield update came when it did. I doubt we see Fighter 7 released until much later into the year. Maybe around October or November?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
At the very least, I expect both Fighters 7 and 8 to be revealed this year.

Fighter 7 will (hopefully) be revealed during the Direct next week. There's also an amiibo wave in September, so unless Amiibo Theory decides to fail us now, Fighter 7 will most likely be releasing sometime in September also.

Fighter 8, I'm a little more iffy on. I do expect to see them revealed this year, whether it's a double-reveal with Fighter 7 or its own separate reveal sometime after Fighter 7's release. As for release though, I could see Fighter 8 releasing either sometime in December, or sometime in January next year.

Quincycoatl

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly confident in seeing both FP7 and FP8 revealed and released by year's end. It's frankly a bit disappointing to see people be this pessimistic.
I'm not really pessimistic about it, just uncertain of what could happen given plans being thrown into wack. I actually just remembered the Terry came out in November and Byleth in January (I had my timeline confused a little) so it's definitely possible for FP8 to at least be revealed before year's end.

Also a little off topic: but I had a really weird dream about Geno reveal, except he was a "real boy" and not a puppet... also he was using Master Chief's assault rifle.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Sepiroth, because A) The game needs more villains B ) He is one of my sisters most wanted

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Alternatives to Geno Square Enix-wise;

• Lara Croft (for her legacy in gaming in general; preferably her render could be an HD and more refined version to her TR III model)
  • Neku Sakuraba (this game's a hidden gem from the DS era and imo was still kinda slept on with the Switch port)
  • Maxim (yeah, I'm talking about Lufia's anime swordsman; Lufia II slapped on the SNES)

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Hmm....did we ever discuss Geno's animation if he gets spicy curry?
I imagine his damage/shocked reaction, but with the addition of flailing legs. Admittedly, I wonder if he'd be the one and only character who would receive additional fire damage for simply consuming it, given that he is, uh. A wooden puppet man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom