• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Well if the Direct is next week, that's around the time the Fall direct happened last year (September 4)

It's possible stuff that were to be announced in E3, along with Stuff planned to be in a Fall direct comes in this one Direct. if So, I actually could see 2 reveals this direct. Of course FP8 would release probably within the Next Three Months or so, and FP7 releases sometime in December
you mean that the other way round right?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So how many reveals are people actually thinking? I was wondering where everyone was at as I've seen some people split which honestly had me kind of surprised. I always thought the consensus was one but seems I'm wrong
I believe we are at least getting one. If we are getting more this year, I can´t see it being revealed until around November. There has been so much "Nintendo has to reveal... then nothing", that I´m confused that some folks still believe that we are getting as many as 3 post Min-Min revealed this year.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Y'know, it's posts like this that get me thinking: If anyone in our community, such as papagenos papagenos or Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , 100% knew that Geno was coming, do you think they'd tell us? Now I'm not saying that they're dishonest people or anything. For better or for worse Fatman has been very open about what he's heard, and from what I've seen of him PapaGenos seems like an all around honest guy, though I don't know him personally. But I can't help but wonder how they'd react upon knowing for certain that Geno was coming. Would they tell us, or would they keep it a surprise?

I sometimes have to hold info to protect sources and what not but if I knew for sure Geno was coming (or if I believed he was all but confirmed) I'd at least let everyone know I believed he was coming or that I had heard something and believed it or whatever. Thats what I did for "banjo is in for sure" coming from a microsoft source during the grinch leak and Geno would be the same way if I hear something definitive.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I sometimes have to hold info to protect sources and what not but if I knew for sure Geno was coming (or if I believed he was all but confirmed) I'd at least let everyone know I believed he was coming or that I had heard something and believed it or whatever. Thats what I did for "banjo is in for sure" coming from a microsoft source during the grinch leak and Geno would be the same way if I hear something definitive.
How confident are you in Geno's chances right now, Papa?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know who PapaGenos is, is this someone relevant in the smash scene?
He's a user on this forum who makes Youtube videos about any Smash rumours or leaks that pop up. (also, he posted roughly two posts above your post)

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I think at this point I’d be more shocked if Geno WASN’T #7.

the thing that got me was Grubb, Imran, and Andre Segers all tweeting/teasing about him within like...36 hours. That’s what sealed it for me.

not to mention the whole walk of evidence stretching beyond the tweets. I don’t think any other character has as much evidence as Geno right now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know who PapaGenos is, is this someone relevant in the smash scene?
Some guy with a hat I think. Heard he's kind of an Omega Chad though so I make sure to keep the volume down on his videos when my wife is in the room so she doesn't suddenly feel compelled to leave me for him.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm not going to write off Monday through Thursday of next week as it's possible that the 28th could be referring to when the Direct airs in Japan due to timezone differences
Does seem to be optimism more than anything but I guess it's best to stay open. These leaks and when it comes to directs pretty much always come from the region the leaker is in meaning that if it were jt then we probably wouldn't even know about it. 28th is likely the day for America.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You also have to understand that Papa has a very professional approach to all this to the point where we're kind of opposites. He's lawful good, I'm chaotic good. He takes criticism in stride, I regularly tell my critics to go **** themselves. He hypes responsibly, I blast forward with my predictions like a Von Franco painting and don't care if I crash and burn. He doesn't pull the trigger unless he's like 95% certain on something, I lock in predictions months in advance and don't change them unless something major comes up. It's fun and I like the differences in our approaches to all of this.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
You also have to understand that Papa has a very professional approach to all this to the point where we're kind of opposites. He's lawful good, I'm chaotic good. He takes criticism in stride, I regularly tell my critics to go **** themselves. He hypes responsibly, I blast forward with my predictions like a Von Franco painting and don't care if I crash and burn. He doesn't pull the trigger unless he's like 95% certain on something, I lock in predictions months in advance and don't change them unless something major comes up. It's fun and I like the differences in our approaches to all of this.
I guess the beauty is all roads lead to Rome.

Sidenote, have we ever had a Friday direct?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So how confident are we that a general direct is coming next week? Are we basing our expectations on rumors alone or do we have any concrete precedents to go by?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So how confident are we that a general direct is coming next week? Are we basing our expectations on rumors alone or do we have any concrete precedents to go by?
I'm pretty sure the only concrete thing to prove a Direct is happening would be for a Direct to be officially announced. Only thing so far is that directs normally happen within a couple weeks of an Indie Showcase (though not always the case) and Zell and others are hinting at the 28th being significant in some way. Some say Direct, others won't commit.

So no, just rumors atm.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Does seem to be optimism more than anything but I guess it's best to stay open. These leaks and when it comes to directs pretty much always come from the region the leaker is in meaning that if it were jt then we probably wouldn't even know about it. 28th is likely the day for America.
Cloud in Smash 4 had a reveal that corresponded to Japanese time instead of American, so we have precedent for something like this and I'm not going to discredit the possibility

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I'm not caught up on this thread since yesterday and don't plan on commenting just yet. Instead, I wanted to get us back on the topic of Geno's Fighter Pack

What music tracks do you expect Geno to arrive with?

The minimum is 2, based on the "unofficial" Square-Enix DLC rule started with Cloud in Smash 4 (and technically continued with Hero in Ultimate)

It's highly unlikely he will be getting over 50 tracks (like Terry) or nearly the entire game's OST (like Min Min). So, for a maximum I would say we could maybe get around 8-11 tracks, since the rest of the DLC fighters had something within that range (Joker and Byleth = 11, Banjo = 10, Hero = 8, tho technically 2x4).

Geno Fighter Pack Music Tracks

"Confirmed"
(these are the 2 music tracks removed from a popular Youtube channel around the time Megalovania was scrubbed, the rumor being they were DMCA'd by Nintendo)
  1. Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Geno's "theme song", likely to be remixed)
  2. Fight Against an Armed Boss ("big" boss music from SMRPG, works really well as a catchy, imposing battle theme)
My Recommendations
3. Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (the demo music, pretty synonymous with SMRPG and works well as a peppy battle theme even just as is)
4. Fight Against Monsters (big DUH, this is the normal battle theme)
5. Hello, Happy Kingdom (the bgm from the Mushroom Kingdom, it can easily be sped up to make for an interesting, stressful tune. Also the only SMRPG track to
reappear in another game, that being Fortune Street for the Wii)
6. Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster (this is the boss music for any bosses that don't grant Star Pieces, so Croco, Belome, etc. It's a bit slower than the other boss theme, but has a similar imposing sense of dread to it, like you're trying to overcome a challenge. Worthy of a remix)
7. Let's Go Down the Wine River (this is a weird one, but it's one of mini-game tracks and I always felt it really exemplified this game well and would make for a fun, sped up and chaotic Free-For-All battle track)
8. Let's Race (the Yo'ster Island racing music, it could easily be reworked into another track as part of a remix medley or just be its own thing. Not a standout tune, but one that just "feels" like something they'd toss in there because you can never predict Sakurai and the dude is corny AF)
9. Booster Medley (2 tracks repping one of the weirder characters from the game and one I 100% could see Sakurai making a Spirit Battle and obsessing over how "strange" he is because he's "not-Wario." The 1st track plays before you meet him and ends up in a ton of lo-fi/vaporwave mixes on Youtube, FYI, which is kind of neat. The 2nd is after you meet Booster, and a little more peppy)
Happy Parade, Delightful Parade (yeah, the credits music, bc screw you. It works really well as a medley of the entire game's OST, and with a proper remix could seriously be awesome)

Honorable Mentions

Grandpa and the Delightul Tadpoles (I just wanted to share this one, because it brought me back to constantly having this track stuck in my head so bad I would whistle it whenever I was drawing during my middle school art class, much to my teacher's dismay)

Fight Against Smithy/Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming (I actually don't see this as an "essential" song, since it doesn't quite have that perfect mix of being a frantic battle theme that the other fight songs do. I'm probably wrong though!)

The Axem Rangers Drop In (popular bosses from SMPRG, this is just a remix of the SMB Underground theme. Still a really cool one and something that would make sense to just "drop in" without making a remix or anything, but also not essentially unique or anything)

Let's do the Fooka-Fooka! (if Mallow gets music representation, this makes sense to me. It's the music from Nimbus Land, and could be remixed into something peppy and battle worthy. But it's also not a top priority)

Let's Play Geno (this is a weird one, because I like it a lot, but it's just a remix of the SMW Ground theme so it technically already exists and you can get the same "effect" just playing that track on whatever Geno's stage ends up being...)

Barrel Volcano (one of my personal faves, but even though it's fast and has a sort of pressing feel to it, it doesn't exactly feel quite right hitting you in the middle of a battle. This one is like 50/50 for me)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Cloud in Smash 4 had a reveal that corresponded to Japanese time instead of American, so we have precedent for something like this and I'm not going to discredit the possibility
Shouldn't rule it out that largely sure but these guys predicted that partner showcase last month and that happened in America the exact date they said suggesting their sources are NoA meaning that the chances are pretty low of that happening.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I'm not caught up on this thread since yesterday and don't plan on commenting just yet. Instead, I wanted to get us back on the topic of Geno's Fighter Pack

The minimum is 2, based on the "unofficial" Square-Enix DLC rule started with Cloud in Smash 4 (and technically continued with Hero in Ultimate)

It's highly unlikely he will be getting over 50 tracks (like Terry) or nearly the entire game's OST (like Min Min). So, for a maximum I would say we could maybe get around 8-11 tracks, since the rest of the DLC fighters had something within that range (Joker and Byleth = 11, Banjo = 10, Hero = 8, tho technically 2x4).

"Confirmed"
(these are the 2 music tracks removed from a popular Youtube channel around the time Megalovania was scrubbed, the rumor being they were DMCA'd by Nintendo)
  2. Fight Against an Armed Boss ("big" boss music from SMRPG, works really well as a catchy, imposing battle theme)
My Recommendations
3. Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (the demo music, pretty synonymous with SMRPG and works well as a peppy battle theme even just as is)
5. Hello, Happy Kingdom (the bgm from the Mushroom Kingdom, it can easily be sped up to make for an interesting, stressful tune. Also the only SMRPG track to
6. Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster (this is the boss music for any bosses that don't grant Star Pieces, so Croco, Belome, etc. It's a bit slower than the other boss theme, but has a similar imposing sense of dread to it, like you're trying to overcome a challenge. Worthy of a remix)
7. Let's Go Down the Wine River (this is a weird one, but it's one of mini-game tracks and I always felt it really exemplified this game well and would make for a fun, sped up and chaotic Free-For-All battle track)
8. Let's Race (the Yo'ster Island racing music, it could easily be reworked into another track as part of a remix medley or just be its own thing. Not a standout tune, but one that just "feels" like something they'd toss in there because you can never predict Sakurai and the dude is corny AF)
9. Booster Medley (2 tracks repping one of the weirder characters from the game and one I 100% could see Sakurai making a Spirit Battle and obsessing over how "strange" he is because he's "not-Wario." The 1st track plays before you meet him and ends up in a ton of lo-fi/vaporwave mixes on Youtube, FYI, which is kind of neat. The 2nd is after you meet Booster, and a little more peppy)
Happy Parade, Delightful Parade (yeah, the credits music, bc screw you. It works really well as a medley of the entire game's OST, and with a proper remix could seriously be awesome)

Honorable Mentions

Grandpa and the Delightul Tadpoles (I just wanted to share this one, because it brought me back to constantly having this track stuck in my head so bad I would whistle it whenever I was drawing during my middle school art class, much to my teacher's dismay)

Fight Against Smithy/Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming (I actually don't see this as an "essential" song, since it doesn't quite have that perfect mix of being a frantic battle theme that the other fight songs do. I'm probably wrong though!)

The Axem Rangers Drop In (popular bosses from SMPRG, this is just a remix of the SMB Underground theme. Still a really cool one and something that would make sense to just "drop in" without making a remix or anything, but also not essentially unique or anything)

Let's do the Fooka-Fooka! (if Mallow gets music representation, this makes sense to me. It's the music from Nimbus Land, and could be remixed into something peppy and battle worthy. But it's also not a top priority)

Let's Play Geno (this is a weird one, because I like it a lot, but it's just a remix of the SMW Ground theme so it technically already exists and you can get the same "effect" just playing that track on whatever Geno's stage ends up being...)

Barrel Volcano (one of my personal faves, but even though it's fast and has a sort of pressing feel to it, it doesn't exactly feel quite right hitting you in the middle of a battle. This one is like 50/50 for me)

Barrel Volcano and Fight against Smithy are top of the line. Come on.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't rule it out that largely sure but these guys predicted that partner showcase last month and that happened in America the exact date they said suggesting their sources are NoA meaning that the chances are pretty low of that happening.
All the guys that predicted it thought we'd get a Mini or General, however. I think it was Fatmanonice Fatmanonice way back in the thread who said that likely Nintendo decided to chop up whatever they planned for E3 and just piss it out into the wind to see where it landed. In other words, the insiders have the all correct or near correct info, but the reveals and releases are pretty much unknowns as Nintendo has been totally effed by Covid and may or may not also be trying to weed out/confuse leakers due to the major leaks they've had this year.

Barrel Volcano and Fight against Smithy are top of the line. Come on.
I like 'em, but I'm going off the way they've picked music tracks before. I mean, we didn't even get the Gruntilda music for Banjo! They make some weird ass choices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not going to write off Monday through Thursday of next week as it's possible that the 28th could be referring to when the Direct airs in Japan due to timezone differences
I'm placing my bets on the 28th being an absolute latest/"week of the 28th" deal (but normally one refers to the week by the day of the Monday, not the Friday...), and instead really have my sights trained on the 25th, because if some Mario collection is due for September, Nintendo's history of Friday releases for the past ~5 years (I say this because all of Nintendo's first party titles in my memory have released on Friday since around 2014 - especially worldwide simultaneous releases) virtually demands it be released on a Friday, and September's final Friday is the 25th. This of course is in reference to Japan's requirement for a 30 day announcement period for preorders.

To provide a few examples: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros for 3DS (and Wii U!), Yoshi's Wooly World and fast forward to today we have Smash Ultimate, Super Mario Maker 2, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, and even some shovelware garbage like Clubhouse Games. They all fall on a Friday. If you get curious and can think of any other games since 2013 or 2014, you'll find that they too fall on a Friday, with limited exceptions in Japan in which they may come out on the Saturday or Thursday before, but those kinks have been smoothed out over the past half decade and we're seeing a trend in which Japan gets it on a proper Friday as well.

Naturally, Nintendo could buck this trend and release Mario 3D Collection (or whatever they want to call it) whenever the hell they want to, but even the next release we know of, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, is set to release on a Friday. All I'm saying is that it would be extremely strange for Nintendo to release a game on any other day. If Mario has been pushed back to October, so be it, and at that point I'd be worried about the 28th being an announcement more than I would it being a direct.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I like 'em, but I'm going off the way they've picked music tracks before. I mean, we didn't even get the Gruntilda music for Banjo! They make some weird ass choices.
True. I'm sure Grant had some hand in the choices since he was relatively in charge. The thing we have to consider is that with games there are generally too many to pick from. Square will likely have their hands on the rights for these songs unlike Final Fantasy. Nobuo owns most of the compositions, which is why we probably only got 2 songs for FF.

It'd be super unfortunate to only get Forest Mushrooms/Fight Against a Stronger Monster.

Songs that I think will likely be added (or should be):

1) Booster's Tower
2) Star Hill
3) Smithy's 1st form
4) Bowser's Castle Theme (2nd time)
5) Weapon Factory
6) Fight Against Monsters
7) Slope (Seriously it's amazing, everyone will remember this once you listen to it)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Has been asked many times before and I will bring it up again.

Who do you think will be challenger 7 and possibly 8 later this year?

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I think at this point I’d be more shocked if Geno WASN’T #7.

the thing that got me was Grubb, Imran, and Andre Segers all tweeting/teasing about him within like...36 hours. That’s what sealed it for me.

not to mention the whole walk of evidence stretching beyond the tweets. I don’t think any other character has as much evidence as Geno right now.
Do you have the links to those tweets?

Firox

Smash Master

"Confirmed"
My Recommendations

Honorable Mentions

My must-have is Smithy's battle theme. If they remix it with some electric guitar then I think I could die complete. Fully orchestrated would be sexy too.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
1 Beware The Forest’s Mushroom
2 Fight Against a Boss (Armed)
3 Fight Against a Monster (Somewhat Stronger)
4 The Road is Full of Dangers
5 Still, The Road is Full of Dangers
6 Rose Town
7 Moleville Town
8 Seaside Town
9 Midas River
10 Credits / Ending Parade
11 Fight Against Smithy
12 Fight Against Culex (please!!!)

D

Deleted member

I don’t much attention to what happens here all the time but I guess we got an update here on the site? Cool.

Hopefully Direct within the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
How there isn't something relevant I will remind that my Birthday is today. I hope we could have news soon
Happy birthday, bro! Hope you get your wishes granted.

For Geno in Smash music... the battle theme, the boss battle theme, Barrell Volcano (or the Axem Ranger chase scene music, atleast), the Factory music... those are all I had in mind. I guess the Forest song, maybe some generic overworld music stuff remixed, too. Idk....

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Technically yes but never a General. I want to say the last Friday Direct was in 2014 and it was specifically for Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U.
I mean, the March mini was on a Friday, feels weird not to count that given it was almost half an hour long. Being honest I think Nintendo might go for that again here, something tells me that for whatever reason they associate General Directs with physical appearances by figureheads in the company and that some of the higher ups at Nintendo are committed to that part of the branding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom