• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Oh, no doubt. I hoping both the dead franchise revival and the "Black Box" collab my contact implied would be by the end of the summer come true tomorrow. If at least one of them doesn't happen, I will commit not happy.
First, just want to say I told you guys they would announce it. If we've been hearing for a while they would, they would!

And "Black Box"? Are you confirming I was right when I guessed the revivals would be those types of games, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? Looks like Balloon Fight and Mach Rider are coming back, guys!😜 (I don't have sources! Just guessing)

Splatoon has been an interesting case for a while, between the Save Our Salmons 2020 post at the beginning of this years and the Splatfest reruns, some of which have different internal code-things than the other Splatfests.
Save our Salmons could lead to the rumored tactics spin off. Salmonids would make great fodder for a game of that style.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
But yes, that general Direct. Got good feelings toward next week (possibly). Can't wait to see how crazy the NY Center crowd reactions are going to be.
Nintendo NYC says that “In order to keep our customers and employees safe, all events at Nintendo NYC have been postponed until further notice. We appreciate your patience.”. This would definitely include a Direct viewing, given that the congregation of people is 100% what they’re trying to prevent. Reservations from store entry to store exit are limited and 30 minute max. I don’t really expect to see any sort of storeroom direct until a vaccine, honestly, and even then that’s a far way off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
CopperKoopa CopperKoopa I mean, pretty much. Just to recap what this contact told me in early July:

-Supposedly three Indie/Nintendo collabs coming based on "Classic" NES franchises.

-Said each was being handled by a different studio and that Nintendo told them to "take their time" to impress them with the final product.

-Part of an ongoing initiative to trust indies with their IPs that was started with Cadence of Hyrule and (hopefully) a supposed upcoming dead franchise revival.

-My guy said that none were Japanese exclusives and that none had ever had true sequels. (Yes, this heavily implies the NES "Black Box" series.)

-Claimed he only knew one for sure and was so confident about it that he not only predicted it would be shown by the end of 2020 but the summer. Explicitly told me to not name it in public because of the surprise factor.

-Made an educated guess about another, predicting Balloon Fight.

-Talking back and forth, he admitted he had no clue about the third but in our discussion we agreed on several that would be prime candidates like Mach Rider.

That's the nitty gritty of it all.

D

Deleted member

CopperKoopa CopperKoopa I mean, pretty much. Just to recap what this contact told me in early July:

-Supposedly three Indie/Nintendo collabs coming based on "Classic" NES franchises.

-Said each was being handled by a different studio and that Nintendo told them to "take their time" to impress them with the final product.

-Part of an ongoing initiative to trust indies with their IPs that was started with Cadence of Hyrule and (hopefully) a supposed upcoming dead franchise revival.

-My guy said that none were Japanese exclusives and that none had ever had true sequels. (Yes, this heavily implies the NES "Black Box" series.)

-Claimed he only knew one for sure and was so confident about it that he not only predicted it would be shown by the end of 2020 but the summer. Explicitly told me to not name it in public because of the surprise factor.

-Talking back and forth, he admitted he had no clue about the third but in our discussion we agreed on several that would be prime candidates like Mach Rider.

Clu Clu Land 2 sure is the quality content we've been waiting for an indie world for half a year for... Thank you, Nintendo, extremely cool. At least we'll finally get that gritty Ice Climbers reboot!

MattX20

Smash Hero

I imagine Mach Rider would be a welcome one too. Though, there's always been demand for Star Tropics to come back too

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Honestly I would love a new Ice Climbers. They've always felt like the odd one out when it came to retro-reps in Smash. Duck Hunt and the zapper are iconic in gaming history, as is ROB who outright saved video games.

Ice Climbers seems like they threw a dart at the NES library; their game wasn't particularly notable and Excitebike, Balloon Fight, and even Urban Champion are remembered more fondly than Ice Climber. IC's only claim to fame is... being in Smash

Give 'em a new game.

1597679639287.png

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice

We gettin' Mach Rider up in hurr

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It would seem that after a solemn Obon Holiday, Nintendo has finally awakened and is about to drop some good news in the coming days. Something that gives me good expectations for tomorrow's Indie World Showcase is the time at which it will be broadcast; sometime during the afternoon. By then most people will be wide awake, others at work, but it's a good time for viewers to pay unadulterated attention. Now, for some reason as I thought about it, a game came to mind that perhaps might be showcased tomorrow and, maybe I'm wrong (most likely) but could be one of the rumored Nintendo-Indie Dev collabs. The game I'm talking about is one that originally started as the Mother 4 game developed by fans, but later was rebranded as Oddity.

Not much has been mentioned about this game by the people developing it for quite some time (since... January 2020 pretty much). Who knows, maybe Nintendo came up to the team and agreed to help them out with finishing/releasing the game this year.

EDIT: Forget what I said about the broadcast hour. Looked at it again and saw it'll be during the morning. 😐

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
okayy so if a direct is acctually announced next week, hopefully our waiting is over.
What was the day people were thinking it's gonna be. I recall them predicting an indie for this week and a general either next week or the week after. Did they specifically state a certain day?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What was the day people were thinking it's gonna be. I recall them predicting an indie for this week and a general either next week or the week after. Did they specifically state a certain day?
28th, literally next Friday, also making it the first General Direct on a Friday ever if true.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unfortunately it seems like the direct may be on August 31st

i have a feeling when insiders were hinting at the 17th, they meant the announcement day, not the day of the presentation. Same goes for the 28th
Kind of. Zell's hints in July implied something happening on a Monday and then a Thursday so we could possibly interpret this now as announcements and not the actual presentations. Plus, a General Direct on a Monday would just suck so much ass, you have no idea... I need like three cups of coffee on your typical Monday morning to not totally descend into pure nihilism; please, dear God, Nintendo... Don't make this rumored Direct on a Monday morning...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Kind of. Zell's hints in July implied something happening on a Monday and then a Thursday so we could possibly interpret this now as announcements and not the actual presentations. Plus, a General Direct on a Monday would just suck so much ass, you have no idea... I need like three cups of coffee on your typical Monday morning to not totally descend into pure nihilism; please, dear God, Nintendo... Don't make this rumored Direct on a Monday morning...
One way or another, we'll find out if tomorrow's indie direct lines up with the intel you received

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It would seem that after a solemn Obon Holiday, Nintendo has finally awakened and is about to drop some good news in the coming days. Something that gives me good expectations for tomorrow's Indie World Showcase is the time at which it will be broadcast; sometime during the afternoon. By then most people will be wide awake, others at work, but it's a good time for viewers to pay unadulterated attention. Now, for some reason as I thought about it, a game came to mind that perhaps might be showcased tomorrow and, maybe I'm wrong (most likely) but could be one of the rumored Nintendo-Indie Dev collabs. The game I'm talking about is one that originally started as the Mother 4 game developed by fans, but later was rebranded as Oddity.

Not much has been mentioned about this game by the people developing it for quite some time (since... January 2020 pretty much). Who knows, maybe Nintendo came up to the team and agreed to help them out with finishing/releasing the game this year.

EDIT: Forget what I said about the broadcast hour. Looked at it again and saw it'll be during the morning. 😐
Are they finally gonna release it winter 2014 like they promised?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If this rumored Direct is coming this month, I'd be happy with it at any time of any day. Heck, even 4 AM on Sunday. Information is information. Pretty safe to say given the timing, as long as it is a Mini or a Full Direct, there'll be Smash information, which ultimately is what I care about most. (Though upcoming games are exciting too of course.)

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping they actually show some spotlight to No Straight Roads; I've been dying to play it, it's coming out on Switch in 9 days and not enough people know about it.

But yes, that general Direct. Got good feelings toward next week (possibly). Can't wait to see how crazy the NY Center crowd reactions are going to be.
it saw an add for it on a tv at gamestop, so more people may have seen in than you think, don't know how that will turn into sales though

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, an Indie Direct was confirmed as real? Nice. Things are happening, finally. Hopefully, soon enough a regular direct finally outs an end to this drought. Even if it's a mini, and an actual mini at that.

With this Indie Direct, I'm not expecting much except maybe some games like Fall Guys being teased or announced to be ported to Smash. It's recent and could get attention to the Switch, Giga Bash as well. Give me some Kaiju action, if you haven't tell by my name, hehe. An announcement for a port in that one tooth, hopefully. And MAYBE, an Indie attempt with a Nintendo property ala Cadence of Hyrule.

That would be cool. Either way, we might get stuff that is interesting. So, buckle up.

:bowser: .

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I just read a theory on GameFAQS about how the DLC has been from Square Enix every fifth character. Cloud was the fifth DLC character ever, Hero was the 10th, and now we're waiting for the 15th character to be announced. Obviously a coincidence, but I'll find it to be pretty funny if Geno actually does end up being the 15th DLC character.

D

Deleted member

I just read a theory on GameFAQS about how the DLC has been from Square Enix every fifth character. Cloud was the fifth DLC character ever, Hero was the 10th, and now we're waiting for the 15th character to be announced. Obviously a coincidence, but I'll find it to be pretty funny if Geno actually does end up being the 15th DLC character.
How convenient...

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
E11FB28C-E0D9-41B3-A184-625B6A0BC69F.jpeg

Man, Geno really is the most convenient character in Smash history number wise.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
well the indie was real, hope that means were on track to finish things up in about a week. I don't know about you all but I'm ready for this **** to be over.
You and me both, brother.

Alright, BIG WACKY GUESS TIME for the Indie.

Ice Climbers by Yacht Club Games. I think they could do a pretty awesome re-imagining of that game.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So, on a scale of 1 (dumpster fire) to 10 (crazy hype), what are your predictions for the upcoming Indie Direct?

I'm thinking maybe a 5. Most of it will probably be shovelware but then maybe balance things out with at least one hype reveal?

D

Deleted member

well the indie was real, hope that means were on track to finish things up in about a week. I don't know about you all but I'm ready for this **** to be over.
Probably because I don't have anything else to do aside from work and speculate Smash, but this whole wondering if Geno's in has really taken front and center in my mind, to the point where I find myself extremely tired of this speculation ****. It's such a god damned rollercoaster and I just want to get off of it. From when I was a little kid, unlocking characters in Melee and sort of refusing to believe that Mr. Game and Watch was really the last thing the game had in it, all the way to now where I'm a grown ass man, I want Geno to be a playable character in Smash. It's not so much to ask, you know? This wait is killing me, this up and down and back and forth with insiders and Nintendo increasingly purchasing caulk to seal up the cracks... It's tiresome. I'm biased as all hell but Geno deserved this moment ages ago and it feels like we're waiting for some provable drop of information, our "Smashing Good Time" as it has come to be called, that should have happened not just earlier this year, but tweleve ****ing years ago in Brawl. I hate it, to be quite honest.

I want my boy in Smash, or I want to stop being jerked around. Give me the character or give me the costume and let's end this horse ****.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
You and me both, brother.

Alright, BIG WACKY GUESS TIME for the Indie.

Ice Climbers by Yacht Club Games. I think they could do a pretty awesome re-imagining of that game.
yacht club games in busy making "cyber shadow" I'm not sure their dev team is big enough to make two games at once

TTF

Smash Journeyman
So, on a scale of 1 (dumpster fire) to 10 (crazy hype), what are your predictions for the upcoming Indie Direct?

I'm thinking maybe a 5. Most of it will probably be shovelware but then maybe balance things out with at least one hype reveal?
I'm at a 6 (Pretty Good). I like that indie devs & games get a chance to shine and you never know when there's one that's gonna scratch your itch just right.
Heck, just the fact we're getting some kind of Nintendo news is a plus to me.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm at a 6 (Pretty Good). I like that indie devs & games get a chance to shine and you never know when there's one that's gonna scratch your itch just right.
Heck, just the fact we're getting some kind of Nintendo news is a plus to me.
Can't argue with that. SOME news is always better than NONE.

Reactions: TTF
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom