• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've recently discovered this remix of Against an Armed Boss and I can't get enough of it right now.

Honestly I want to see Geno for his fans and I do feel invested in him getting in.....but probably more than anything I'm anticipating getting an awesome remix of Against an Armed Boss in Smash.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Thinking more about it, I don't find Doom Guy and Master Chief redundant at all. Completely different franchises. Similar character designs, sure, but it's not that bad. Doom invented the modern FPS genre, while Halo presumably used Doom as inspiration while building something entirely new that revitalized and further popularized the genre. While I personally don't want them because first-person shooters aren't my thing, both characters would be excellent additions to Smash. Plus, our only shooter reps are the Samuses, the spacies, Mii Gunner, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Inkling; with Duck Hunt being the only first-person one - a game very far-removed from what the genre would become. We could really do with the two most iconic FPS characters in Smash.

That said, I figure for most people, it's not that they find the two to be redundant, but rather, Nintendo might. Adding two western FPS reps who have similar designs does sound quite un-Nintendo (Joker, Hero, and Byleth all have drastically different designs, after all), but they are also the kings of left field, so who knows?

To keep things on-topic, man, Geno is also a shooty boi. And now I want a Mario FPS. dangit! Would probably be the only FPS I'd be interested in playing

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Not necessarily that it confirms but it shows that the main obstacle to making an AT playable is a non issue. Waluigi is playable? Just turn off his AT when he's in game. Like the list I shared shows, it's a very, very extensively implemented feature in the game where probably like 80% of the ATs have at least one stage that they can't be activated on. Plus "spirits deconfirm" died a hard death a month and a half ago now and I seriously doubt Min Min will be the only promotion before the end of this game.
Seeing the way in which Sakurai talked that much about spirits in MinMin's video make me think that he is hinting that another spirit (Hopefully our boi) will be upgraded. He literally said that more Spirit battle will end changing in the future

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Seeing the way in which Sakurai talked that much about spirits in MinMin's video make me think that he is hinting that another spirit (Hopefully our boi) will be upgraded. He literally said that more Spirit battle will end changing in the future
I actually don't expect this particular statement to hold up as evidence for more Spirits - It seemed more he was bringing that up because Mii Costumes and the like could replace certain characters already present in Spirit battles, and in fact, around the time he was specifying those details, he had just finished talking about the Cuphead battle in particular, if I remember correctly.

This isn't to suggest that the Geno spirit is out of the running, of course, I'm just pointing out that I never saw this specific statement from Sakurai as confirmation of spirit upgrades for actual Fighters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The only thing that makes me hesitant about that, is that I just checked and Min-Min's spirit battle actually didn't change. It's still a fight against Corrin. So I'm not sure if this exactly points to a spirit being promoted. (It could just be more Sans/Cuphead type mii costumes being added with spirits)

That said I could see that quote from Sakurai meaning things like that could be changed in an update going forward. (and I mean, a willingness to change up things already in the game is still a good thing for anyone who's character is already represented in the game in some way)

7NATOR

Smash Master
The only thing that makes me hesitant about that, is that I just checked and Min-Min's spirit battle actually didn't change. It's still a fight against Corrin. So I'm not sure if this exactly points to a spirit being promoted. (It could just be more Sans/Cuphead type mii costumes being added with spirits)

That said I could see that quote from Sakurai meaning things like that could be changed in an update going forward. (and I mean, a willingness to change up things already in the game is still a good thing for anyone who's character is already represented in the game in some way)
The Spirit battle changes were weird. Ribbon Girl got some changes and Ninjara also got a Spirit battle. Ryo from Art of Fighting was also changed so the battle uses his Costume, but the actual battle doesn't change

It's weird

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The Spirit battle changes were weird. Ribbon Girl got some changes and Ninjara also got a Spirit battle. Ryo from Art of Fighting was also changed so the battle uses his Costume, but the actual battle doesn't change

It's weird
Thinking about it some more....

I wonder if the changes were only cosmetic because of the high score system on spirit battles? People can't really compare their high scores accurately if one person had the Min-Min battle version of Min-Mins spirit battle and the other person had the Corrin version of Min-Mins spirit battle.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Thinking about it some more....

I wonder if the changes were only cosmetic because of the high score system on spirit battles? People can't really compare their high scores accurately if one person had the Min-Min battle version of Min-Mins spirit battle and the other person had the Corrin version of Min-Mins spirit battle.
But Cuphead has both the Mii Costume version and the Mega Man version, so I don't think that could be it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Thinking more about it, I don't find Doom Guy and Master Chief redundant at all. Completely different franchises. Similar character designs, sure, but it's not that bad. Doom invented the modern FPS genre, while Halo presumably used Doom as inspiration while building something entirely new that revitalized and further popularized the genre. While I personally don't want them because first-person shooters aren't my thing, both characters would be excellent additions to Smash. Plus, our only shooter reps are the Samuses, the spacies, Mii Gunner, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Inkling; with Duck Hunt being the only first-person one - a game very far-removed from what the genre would become. We could really do with the two most iconic FPS characters in Smash.

That said, I figure for most people, it's not that they find the two to be redundant, but rather, Nintendo might. Adding two western FPS reps who have similar designs does sound quite un-Nintendo (Joker, Hero, and Byleth all have drastically different designs, after all), but they are also the kings of left field, so who knows?

To keep things on-topic, man, Geno is also a shooty boi. And now I want a Mario FPS. dangit! Would probably be the only FPS I'd be interested in playing
Technically it's a rail shooter, but I'm pretty sure this counts. https://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Safari

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Not necessarily that it confirms but it shows that the main obstacle to making an AT playable is a non issue. Waluigi is playable? Just turn off his AT when he's in game. Like the list I shared shows, it's a very, very extensively implemented feature in the game where probably like 80% of the ATs have at least one stage that they can't be activated on. Plus "spirits deconfirm" died a hard death a month and a half ago now and I seriously doubt Min Min will be the only promotion before the end of this game.
I can agree with that part. Truth be told, if there is any AT that will be upgraded if I have to guess is Isaac and not Waluigi (as you know, I don´t think they are going to double dip with the same franchise) and it could be a good idea if they truly wants to resurrect Golden Sun as the rumor applies

7NATOR

Smash Master
I can agree with that part. Truth be told, if there is any AT that will be upgraded if I have to guess is Isaac and not Waluigi (as you know, I don´t think they are going to double dip with the same franchise) and it could be a good idea if they truly wants to resurrect Golden Sun as the rumor applies
Isaac being the Promotional character of the pass would be weird to see. At least i can't see him getting hate like with Corrin, Byleth, and Hypotehtical Gen 8 Pokemon

But honestly, if Geno is in, then Bomberman, Shadow, Isaac >>>>>>Waluigi

MisterMike

Smash Champion
In a serendipitous turn of events, I noticed on the Super Mario Wiki in Geno's trivia that while every other character uses a suit of a standard playing card deck, Geno's star is not an outlier, but instead an uncommonly used symbol for the jokers of a deck. I did a quick search and it turned out to be absolutely true. I never knew!

That whole "WILDCARD: NINTENDO" thing that Jeff Grubb has on his list sure does ring of a hint, now... and Jon's Clubhouse Games post from forever ago looks even more like a hint. Big tinfoil hat hours.
Well... more like small tinfoil hat hours for now.
GenoThinkingTinfoil.png

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Isaac being the Promotional character of the pass would be weird to see. At least i can't see him getting hate like with Corrin, Byleth, and Hypotehtical Gen 8 Pokemon

But honestly, if Geno is in, then Bomberman, Shadow, Isaac >>>>>>Waluigi
I don´t see why it would be so weird? Golden Sun needs some push if they want to kick start it. Smash is the smart move to go.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Plus "spirits deconfirm" died a hard death a month and a half ago now and I seriously doubt Min Min will be the only promotion before the end of this game.
This is something I would like to comment on.

I see this statement of 'Min Min killed the Spirits Deconfirm argument!' a lot and while I appreciate the enthusiasm it's just wrong and it frustrates me.

DLC killed that argument long before we even had Spirits or a Spirit Mode.

If this was Smash 64 or Melee or Brawl where there was no chance at DLC, then yes Spirits would likely be the best we would get.

However, DLC opens the door to change, and thus there was never an argument to begin with. As long as Sakurai, his crew and Nintendo all agree to keep the DLC train a-chugging and not close that door then there is always possibility.

If you REALLY think about it, Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4 are the perfect examples: they already had trophies in the game, and yet that meant nothing once the DLC gates first opened up shop. The same rings true for Spirits in Ultimate.

Thus this argument was dead and stupid from the FP1 reveal and stays dead until development on Ultimate is retired. Min Min wasn't what killed it: Min Min is just an obvious flag to...umm...certain individuals who need things spelled out for them in big bold red letters.

I would go so far as to argue that even Spirits brought in later updates could still be on the table, as the only thing going against it is that why negotiate for and put in just Spirits if you plan for characters as well, but Min Min actually crushes that argument because her Spirit Board being a fusion of old and new Spirits means it shows it wasn't planned but things changed later on.

Basically, other than non-video game originated characters, there are no true limits...and it's always been that way.

Oh ****, can someone make the 'always has been' astronaut meme of this for me?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don´t see why it would be so weird? Golden Sun needs some push if they want to kick start it. Smash is the smart move to go.
I meant weird as in, Isaac being added in for Promotional reasons and not just because he's fan requested. Isaac has has been in the footing of characters like K.Rool and Banjo in that they aren't relevant, and both those characters got in because of the fans. I'm just saying Isaac being added for Promotional reasons added on top would just be weird, but I'm not against it i guess

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I meant weird as in, Isaac being added in for Promotional reasons and not just because he's fan requested. Isaac has has been in the footing of characters like K.Rool and Banjo in that they aren't relevant, and both those characters got in because of the fans. I'm just saying Isaac being added for Promotional reasons added on top would just be weird, but I'm not against it i guess
Still don´t get the weird thing. Especially since it would technically kill to birds with one stone.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I completely agree with this. I'm not too familiar with the series at all, and I know plenty of people who aren't as well . As an RPG fan, if the character was at least interesting in Smash it would definitely push me to pick up a copy of any new Golden Sun game that comes out.

Other than Geno, I would personally like to avoid the addition of other Mario characters, since there so many other series/franchises that should be looked into before triple dipping in regards to dlc.

On a side note, played that Cris Tales demo, its on the ps4, but I believe its on the switch. Kinda reminded me of Paper Mario and SMRPG with the art style and timed hit mechanic. Seems like something that some of users in this thread might be interested in.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So apparently NateDrake just said that as of current, he has heard nothing for the 13th.

Boy, starting to feel awful dry...

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I see this statement of 'Min Min killed the Spirits Deconfirm argument!' a lot and while I appreciate the enthusiasm it's just wrong and it frustrates me.

If this was Smash 64 or Melee or Brawl where there was no chance at DLC, then yes Spirits would likely be the best we would get.

However, DLC opens the door to change, and thus there was never an argument to begin with. As long as Sakurai, his crew and Nintendo all agree to keep the DLC train a-chugging and not close that door then there is always possibility.

If you REALLY think about it, Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4 are the perfect examples: they already had trophies in the game, and yet that meant nothing once the DLC gates first opened up shop. The same rings true for Spirits in Ultimate.

Thus this argument was dead and stupid from the FP1 reveal and stays dead until development on Ultimate is retired. Min Min wasn't what killed it: Min Min is just an obvious flag to...umm...certain individuals who need things spelled out for them in big bold red letters.

I would go so far as to argue that even Spirits brought in later updates could still be on the table, as the only thing going against it is that why negotiate for and put in just Spirits if you plan for characters as well, but Min Min actually crushes that argument because her Spirit Board being a fusion of old and new Spirits means it shows it wasn't planned but things changed later on.

Basically, other than non-video game originated characters, there are no true limits...and it's always been that way.

Way ahead of you, man!
SpiritsNeverDisconfirmed.png

Griselda

Smash Lord
The Mallow figure is like 50-60% done, sculpt-wise. Turns out he's got a pretty complicated design for a cloud with pants, and I can only tolerate so much smoke at a time without health issues, so I'll finish him another day. He's currently only missing his arms and the detail on his pants/shoes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The Mallow figure is like 50-60% done, sculpt-wise. Turns out he's got a pretty complicated design for a cloud with pants, and I can only tolerate so much smoke at a time without health issues, so I'll finish him another day. He's currently only missing his arms and the detail on his pants/shoes.
Definitely looking forward to how he looks and alongside Geno

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Yeah, spirits most likely never mean something because imagine this:
-Sakurai: Ok, we need an Smash DLC, any idea?
-Nintendo Worker: I was thinking on Rayman, has good moveset potential, we are friend with Ubisof.....
-Sakurai: NO, Rayman is one Photo over 1300 which the majority of people don't even know is there. Let's make something like Porky.
It sounds Stupid. BUT now the detractors can't say that anymore.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really don't think they have some kind of hard fast "we're only going to upgrade this many spirits/assist trophies" rule. I'm guessing Sakurai is making his decision the way he always does. (which is unknown to us, we can only assume what's going through his head when he decides which characters become playable)

I feel like Sakurai mentioning Spring Man as a possibility during Min-Mins reveal kind of shows that he isn't really considering spirits or assist trophies as "special cases". Spring Man was a viable option like any other.

(on the idea of assist promotions I do think Isaac and Waluigi are the main front runners, though I would say there's a case for Shovel Knight as well....probably the most "proven" of all the indie games represented in Smash (well maybe on par with Shantae) and if assist trophies are open to promotion I don't see why Shovel Knight wouldn't be considered. (he got plenty of fan support during the lead up to Ultimate)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I really don't think they have some kind of hard fast "we're only going to upgrade this many spirits/assist trophies" rule. I'm guessing Sakurai is making his decision the way he always does. (which is unknown to us, we can only assume what's going through his head when he decides which characters become playable)

I feel like Sakurai mentioning Spring Man as a possibility during Min-Mins reveal kind of shows that he isn't really considering spirits or assist trophies as "special cases". Spring Man was a viable option like any other.

(on the idea of assist promotions I do think Isaac and Waluigi are the main front runners, though I would say there's a case for Shovel Knight as well....probably the most "proven" of all the indie games represented in Smash (well maybe on par with Shantae) and if assist trophies are open to promotion I don't see why Shovel Knight wouldn't be considered. (he got plenty of fan support during the lead up to Ultimate)
I agree that there is not impossible that will/could be more one Assist Trophy upgraded... All I´m saying that I think Isaac is the frontrunner if the rumor of the revival is true and the reason I don´t think Waluigi will be upgraded is that I don´t think we will get more then one character per franchise, with Geno likelier then him. If we get more Assist Trophies then Isaac, then it will be a Zelda character like Impa, Skull Kid, or Midna.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
i didn't think about it until now, but in terms of Nintendo helping indie devs, yacht club games did thank Nintendo when they won indie game of the year with shovel knight a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoNRM_sAjzQ
edit: this was before shovel knights Japanese release (witch Nintendo translated and published)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we get more Assist Trophies then Isaac, then it will be a Zelda character like Impa, Skull Kid, or Midna.
Skull Kid? Maybe.

Personally I have a hard time seeing Impa or Midna being a part of this fighter pass. Especially Midna, I know it's kinda iffy to bring up the R word these days but I think a lack of relevancy still means something if you also don't have a gaggle of dedicated fans to back you up....and I don't think Midna really has the level of fan support needed to have her promoted to playable.

If we're getting a new Zelda character my money is all on Skull Kid.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Skull Kid? Maybe.

Personally I have a hard time seeing Impa or Midna being a part of this fighter pass. Especially Midna, I know it's kinda iffy to bring up the R word these days but I think a lack of relevancy still means something if you also don't have a gaggle of dedicated fans to back you up....and I don't think Midna really has the level of fan support needed to have her promoted to playable.

If we're getting a new Zelda character my money is all on Skull Kid.
Mine too. But who knows. Maybe I´m wrong and Waluigi will happen (and I won´t be anything but indifferent if it does happen)

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
There's really no reason to see Geno and Waluigi as a 'there can only be one' situation. I've said it before, but they're entirely different types of characters, despite both having the 'Mario' name attached to them. They have basically nothing in common, and would cater to entirely different parts of the audience without 'taking away' anything from each other. Geno is a Mario character, yes, but that means something different than it does for Waluigi. Think of it more like a subseries situation - for instance, Prince Peasley is a Mario & Luigi character, while Vivian is a Paper Mario character. They share the greater 'Mario' blanket, but that's it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I wouldn't call it "dead" per se, but definitely a shadow of its former self. If nothing else, it would create the inevitable schism in the fanbase that I predicted where a sizeable amount of the people would stay with Ultimate and turn it into the next Melee. I'm staunchly of the belief that if Nintendo/Sakurai don't manage to make Smash 6 BIGGER than Ultimate, it will be a flop by comparison.

.....YES.
The problem with making a new game and cutting characters to add new ones is that people will go "why didn't you just add this to Ultimate?" There's literally no reason to cut characters when they can just put more stuff in Ultimate. What could they possibly add that they couldn't just put in Ultimate that would justify that?

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's really no reason to see Geno and Waluigi as a 'there can only be one' situation. I've said it before, but they're entirely different types of characters, despite both having the 'Mario' name attached to them. They have basically nothing in common, and would cater to entirely different parts of the audience without 'taking away' anything from each other. Geno is a Mario character, yes, but that means something different than it does for Waluigi. Think of it more like a subseries situation - for instance, Prince Peasley is a Mario & Luigi character, while Vivian is a Paper Mario character. They share the greater 'Mario' blanket, but that's it.
But at the end of the Day, it's still is 2 Mario characters, no matter how different they are from each other. So I don't think it's impossible for Waluigi to get in if Geno is also in, but that's something that will end up hurting him, especially since we already got 2 New Mario characters in Ultimate already (Daisy and Piranha Plant), and that there are other popular characters that also have a chance and are in line for a FP2 Slot.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So apparently NateDrake just said that as of current, he has heard nothing for the 13th.

Boy, starting to feel awful dry...
I think I'm going to have a stroke if nothing happens next week. We've pretty much done this all year.

"Something is coming in two weeks."

"Something is coming in a week."

"Something is coming this week."

"Oh wait, we were wrong/Nintendo postponed it for some reason."

Nintendo fans knowing we would have known all this stuff months ago if it wasn't for a literal once in a century plague:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
But at the end of the Day, it's still is 2 Mario characters, no matter how different they are from each other. So I don't think it's impossible for Waluigi to get in if Geno is also in, but that's something that will end up hurting him, especially since we already got 2 New Mario characters in Ultimate already (Daisy and Piranha Plant), and that there are other popular characters that also have a chance and are in line for a FP2 Slot.
Hasn't stopped them before :4feroy::4corrin:

EDIT: I didn't even account for the fact :4lucina::4robinm: were already in the base game too

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Its absolutely not impossible that there will only be one. Heck for what we know, a company could get several spots in this pass and/or being a bonus. There is just a gut feeling that some (myself included) that they won´t do more than one character per franchise. I could care less if Waluigi gets in personally... I just don´t see him and Geno getting in together. Especially since this is most likely the last bash of characters and Nintendo and Sakurai probably want to cover the most bases possible before it ends.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I think I'm going to have a stroke if nothing happens next week. We've pretty much done this all year.

Nintendo fans knowing we would have known all this stuff months ago if it wasn't for a literal once in a century plague:

If Geno is the next character, isn't it driving you crazy that we might not see him for 3-4 months compared to when he was "supposed" to be revealed?

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's obnoxious how the insiders are acting about the whole thing to say the least

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Its absolutely not impossible that there will only be one. Heck for what we know, a company could get several spots in this pass and/or being a bonus. There is just a gut feeling that some (myself included) that they won´t do more than one character per franchise. I could care less if Waluigi gets in personally... I just don´t see him and Geno getting in together. Especially since this is most likely the last bash of characters and Nintendo and Sakurai probably want to cover the most bases possible before it ends.
Yeah, and let's do that by ignoring the one character whose deconfirmation caused the biggest uproar in Smash history.

Not even Ridley or K. Rool generated the same kind of impact when they were deconfirmed in previous Smash games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, and let's do that by ignoring the one character whose deconfirmation caused the biggest uproar in Smash history.

Not even Ridley or K. Rool generated the same kind of impact when they were deconfirmed in previous Smash games.
If the uproar was so important for them, then they would have started with him ( I mean, they started with Arms of all things, not some heavily requested character.). But like I said. I can be wrong, and if I am, I´m happy for you. I just can´t see them double-dip on any franchise or company (when it comes to the third party).

Edit - Just for reference, I´m not against any character as long its not "4th party characters" aka Son Goku, Batman, Shrek... you name it

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If the uproar was so important for them, then they would have started with him. But like I said. I can be wrong, and if I am, I´m happy for you. I just can´t see them double-dip on any franchise or company (when it comes to the third party).
You're forgetting that uproar was caused RIGHT after he was shown as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. They weren't just gonna take his AT out and then make him a full character at launch.

Griselda

Smash Lord
You're forgetting that uproar was caused RIGHT after he was shown as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. They weren't just gonna take his AT out and then make him a full character at launch.
On top of this, wasn't the first Fighters Pass already mostly planned out at launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom