• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Considering what happened with the Partner Mini, it's quite possible that he and others have put together whatever's happening, but because they haven't been explicitly told something like "it's a Mario-focused mini direct" nobody wants to speak up and get Kelios'd.
Then why did he so adamantly deny NMHIII or BDII?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's a sad day when your name gets turned in a verb synonymous with public disappointment and backlash.
Kelios didn’t even leak the contents of said direct, only when it would be, and he was technically right. Peak “shooting the messenger” right there

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Considering what happened with the Partner Mini, it's quite possible that he and others have put together whatever's happening, but because they haven't been explicitly told something like "it's a Mario-focused mini direct" nobody wants to speak up and get Kelios'd.
Then why did he so adamantly deny NMHIII or BDII?
Probably for the same reason we had that awful "guess who, deconfirm" phase in the lead-up to Byleth: saying what it's not is much safer than saying what it is.

Firox

Smash Master
Kelios didn’t even leak the contents of said direct, only when it would be, and he was technically right. Peak “shooting the messenger” right there
SERIOUSLY! The fact that he stuck to his guns even to the very last second and was RIGHT, yet people took their disappointment out on him anyway. If he was able to pin point a direct like that despite all odds, it would have been smarter for people to keep their mouths shut and see if he could predict more in the future. Now we'll just have to resort to the usual logic-based predictions again.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
He just hinted at an Indie Direct. Which makes perfect sense.

"I miss indie games news ...."

So there it is, an Indie Direct is next (no Smash there, that's for sure) and the "main event" after that.
Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later and it's not Grubbs' event. There is something else this month, and since it's not a stop it has to be the "main event".

Update: Grubb:

"I think that if there is an indie world, then there is a mini direct soon after"

"I don't know for sure. But the one thing I've heard about something that is possibly in the works makes it sound like it's not an indie world. This is kinda how it went in March. I heard something, then heard it could be an indie thing, but attached games I heard about weren't indie, and then it all kinda fell into place: an Indie World one week and then the Mini Direct the next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see August basically repeat that."

Last edited by a moderator:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Who was claiming we'd see something Undertale related soon? Because that could be something to look for in an indie for sure.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He just hinted at an Indie Direct. Which makes perfect sense.

"I miss indie games news ...."

So there it is, an Indie Direct is next (no Smash there, that's for sure) and the "main event" after that.
Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later and it's not Grubbs' event. There is something else this month, and since it's not a stop it has to be the "main event".

Update: Grubb:

"I think that if there is an indie world, then there is a mini direct soon after"

"I don't know for sure. But the one thing I've heard about something that is possibly in the works makes it sound like it's not an indie world. This is kinda how it went in March. I heard something, then heard it could be an indie thing, but attached games I heard about weren't indie, and then it all kinda fell into place: an Indie World one week and then the Mini Direct the next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see August basically repeat that."
Just a heads up that, if you want to add more detail to your posts, it's better to edit it in rather than double-posting. (unless it's been more than a day between posts, double-posting can come across as being spammy) Also, it would help to include a link to where he said this.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If there is indeed an indie at all, then yeah, usually an indie happens before a general direct… usually

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A mini/partner direct and indie showcase this month and (maybe) a general Direct in September doesn't sound too outlandish.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Could this be what Zell meant by the lightning strikes twice thing? Guess that would make sense if that's kind of how it went in March. Huh. Either way, good things should be coming pretty soon either way, so that's exciting.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Could this be what Zell meant by the lightning strikes twice thing? Guess that would make sense if that's kind of how it went in March. Huh. Either way, good things should be coming pretty soon either way, so that's exciting.
Yes, he must have meant 2 Directs in August.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Decided to browse through the "Coming Soon" category of games on Nintendo's website to check the month of September and as of now, there is not a single relevant or "high-profile" game slated for said month. Not first party (Nintendo IP), nor third party. In the recent Earnings report there was no mention of a game to cover the month of September either. Either Nintendo truly has no plans for a game for the month of September (which is the month of Super Mario's Anniversary; the 35th in fact), or they will reveal it this month, or on the most unlikeliest scenario, they shadow-drop it on that very month.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Indie Direct, huh? That's potentially good news. Like I said, there's supposedly 4 Nintendo/indie projects in the works ala Cadence of Hyrule and, based on all that I've heard, I'm pretty sure at least two will be revealed by the end of the year. So... Indie Direct followed by a Mini next week and then the big-ass-rocket-****-your-pants Direct the week after? I mean... Okay... I'm just tired at this point... I'm slowly coming to the realization that Nintendo basically decided to stretch their E3 2020 over the course of 2 1/2 months and, while excited, there's a side of me that wonders who the hell signed off on that idea?

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Indie Direct, huh? That's potentially good news. Like I said, there's supposedly 4 Nintendo/indie projects in the works ala Cadence of Hyrule and, based on all that I've heard, I'm pretty sure at least two will be revealed by the end of the year. So... Indie Direct followed by a Mini next week and then the big-ass-rocket-****-your-pants Direct the week after? I mean... Okay... I'm just tired at this point... I'm slowly coming to the realization that Nintendo basically decided to stretch their E3 2020 over the course of 2 1/2 months and, while excited, there's a side of me that wonders who the hell signed off on that idea?
About those Nintendo/indie projects in the works ala Cadence of Hyrule, heard anything about a Donkey Kong one?

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they do an Indie Direct and then a mini instead of a Direct. And that's looking likely right now.
They won't do indie, then mini, then big one the week after.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Geno's literal intro into the game is Mario playing with a kid, the kid accidentally shots him in the face, Geno comes to life ala Pinocchio, he does a happy little cheer, wanders around in confusion in the dark, and then accidentally hits his head on the staircase before shaking it off and wandering outside with no real strategy or idea where he's actually going. That's like the opposite of edgy. I know he has guns n **** ™ but that aspect of him isn't saturated into his character. He's quiet and thoughtful but not aloof and that's part of why I got so attached to the character as a kid. Yeah, the low hanging fruit was definitely there and he could have been pretty much Wooden Cloud but they went in a completely different direction than faceplanting into 90's stereotypes.
I've been without power for 2 days so I'm catching up on the thread. I had to respond to this before going on.

I always pictured Geno having the same personality as adult Goku, with that strong sense of justice, an eagerness to teach, and a playful child-like outlook on the world. And when he comes across his enemies, he only gets to the grand speech and the "I guess I have to destroy you" moments once he has tested the foe and given them the chance to redeem themselves. I mean, that kind of stuff is completely woven within the dialogue of Super Mario RPG. I would even imagine him having a voice like Goku's to be real. And I'm not trying to sound like some weird DBZ fanatic, it's just a very easy comparison to make that most people reading will get. Geno is the Mario universe's version of Goku lol

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Me and xpnc xpnc were talking about this earlier. By themselves, Paper Mario: Origami Tsunami, Min Min in Smash, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, along with the SMT/Partner Direct and the separated Pokemon presentations aren't going to blow anyone away. Trickling stuff like this out over an entire Summer just makes fans more feral. Especially being almost a full year removed from the last proper Nintendo Direct. If they had combined most of this stuff (barring Pokemon since they do their own thing) it would've at least sated fans for a period of time. Doing it the way they've chosen is the least hype method possible. It feels like they're constipated and barely getting one turd out at a time.

Their incompetency with advertising is legendary

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
About those Nintendo/indie projects in the works ala Cadence of Hyrule, heard anything about a Donkey Kong one?

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they do an Indie Direct and then a mini instead of a Direct. And that's looking likely right now.
They won't do indie, then mini, then big one the week after.
Not DK. The DK rumor is that it's internally developed and going to be the first true first party DK since Jungle Beat. The 4 indie games are supposedly 3 NES classic revivals (one potentially being Balloon Fight and another you all wouldn't believe me if I said it but that's all I know) and one being one of the 3 dead franchises I've been teasing forever (also, yes, Golden Sun is one of them and I say this to have Naz's back because he's had mine in the past).

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't feel like going through 100 pages of a Resetera thread, can I get a quick rundown on what happened? Why the hell are we expecting 3 DIRECTS now? Who said what exactly?

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't feel like going through 100 pages of a Resetera thread, can I get a quick rundown on what happened? Why the hell are we expecting 3 DIRECTS now? Who said what exactly?
I think Grubb said he heard an indie was happening and Zell hinted at it. Then one or both said something about a general one, probably a mini.

D

Deleted member

A new Donkey Kong Country? *Ears perk up.* Oooh So one bored for that. Despite my name I haven’t played the games much but have grown to adore and appreciate them hope to hear more about that too.

Love Golden Sun from what I’ve seen so hopefully these Golden Sun HD rumours are true.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What exactly points to there being a mini and a general though? Couldn't it just be the indie direct and then a mini or general the week after? Everyone still seems pretty rock solid on the whole "two presentations" thing.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What exactly points to there being a mini and a general though? Couldn't it just be the indie direct and then a mini or general the week after? Everyone still seems pretty rock solid on the whole "two presentations" thing.
Honestly... I don't know at this point. Is the indie a "stop" or is it counted as one of the Directs? Zell's record is immaculate so I take his word on things but I'm really confused by what exactly people are hinting at right now.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Honestly... I don't know at this point. Is the indie a "stop" or is it counted as one of the Directs? Zell's record is immaculate so I take his word on things but I'm really confused by what exactly people are hinting at right now.
I think it's pretty obvious they are counting the indie direct as one of the presentations, why would they do a mini and a general back to back?

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
There is one stop and then the (again, singular) "main event". (he has been teasing this since after July 20th)
An Indie Direct would be the stop.
I'm not sure anymore if the "main event" would be a proper Direct or a Mini, really really hope it's the former but he never clarified.
Grubbs thinks it's an Indie Direct then a Mini because he heard about an Indie event but also games attached that aren't indie. Well I don't see any reason there to think it's a Mini and not a general so not sure what Grubbs' logic is, maybe he knows something more.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Not DK. The DK rumor is that it's internally developed and going to be the first true first party DK since Jungle Beat. The 4 indie games are supposedly 3 NES classic revivals (one potentially being Balloon Fight and another you all wouldn't believe me if I said it but that's all I know) and one being one of the 3 dead franchises I've been teasing forever (also, yes, Golden Sun is one of them and I say this to have Naz's back because he's had mine in the past).
New DK

C55698F4-44A7-4CFB-956E-A17D313C9DFF.gif

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
TL;DR of pretty much everything since July 20th

King Zell says there is one more "stop" (something to the level of a Partner Showcase; Partner Showcase is a stop) before the "main event".
He says there is no Partner Showcase in the second half of August and no General Direct in the first half of September.
He hints "sometimes lighting strikes twice" and says somebody guessed it right; it now can pretty much only mean 2 Directs in August
Jeff Grubbs says something Nintendo is happening between the 11th and 22nd
Nate and John-something also hint at 2 Directs
King Zell says repeats there is one more stop left before the main event, and this final stop isn't far away now
He says the stop is not on the 11th or 12th and does not feature neither NMHIII nor BDII
And lastly, he said "I miss indie games news ...." hinting at an Indie Direct
Then Grubbs says what I have transcribed and linked above

This should be about everything important

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
TL;DR of pretty much everything since July 20th

King Zell says there is one more "stop" (something to the level of a Partner Showcase; Partner Showcase is a stop) before the "main event".
He says there is no Partner Showcase in the second half of August and no General Direct in the first half of September.
He hints "sometimes lighting strikes twice" and says somebody guessed it right; it now can pretty much only mean 2 Directs in August
Jeff Grubbs says something Nintendo is happening between the 11th and 22nd
Nate and John-something also hint at 2 Directs
King Zell says repeats there is one more stop left before the main event, and this final stop isn't far away now
He says the stop is not on the 11th or 12th and does not feature neither NMHIII nor BDII
And lastly, he said "I miss indie games news ...." hinting at an Indie Direct
Then Grubbs says what I have transcribed and linked above

This should be about everything important
Alright, thanks for that.

As for DK, regardless of rumors I've been hard betting for months that a new DK game is being worked on and being done by one of the internal Nintendo teams, my problem has been trying to narrow down which one. Nintendo clearly has an interest in making DK a larger brand, and more importantly, seperating it from the main Mario brand. Over the last couple of years they've separated all the DK merchandise into a seperate brand from main Mario (aside from seemingly existing deals like Mario Kart) which hasn't been the case since probably the Rare days. The main Nintendo studios are actually acknowledging the DKC series/characters in stuff like Odyssey, which is more than you can even say for the Retro games, even though Nintendo has seemingly resisted acknowledging anything not related to the core Mario brand in Mario these days. I initially passed it off as a cool reference and nothing more, which it very well could have been at the time, but then Dixie and Funky show up in Mario Kart Tour, which is just, huh? The team that didn't even include Diddy Kong in Mario Kart 8 suddenly wants to add these two, even though Mario Kart is the poster child of bad roster choices these days, since again, they clearly don't want to awknowledge non-main Mario stuff? What changed?

Not to mention the fact they think Donkey Kong Country is a big enough brand on it's own to give it a whole section in the new Universal Studios theme park in Orlando? How the hell would they not be working on a new DK game? We also have two separate occasions of Miyamoto in the past trying to kickstart DK back off the ground again when no studio was working on him (Jungle Beat and Returns), I can easily see that happening again here.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Random thought that just came to me. In the debate between Waluigi or Geno there is a couple things in terms of content that Geno has over Waluigi.

That is Geno’s World. We all know it’s the Mushroom Kingdom through and through but honestly at the heart of Super Mario RPG there are quite a few things that Geno can bring to the table that you’d probably have to stretch for for Waluigi. Spirits in the form of Exor, The Axem Rangers, Brooke, and even Culex. Music is aplenty in SMRPG and a lot of it is exclusively that games music with only a few remixes scattered here and there. And of course the game is ripe for the picking in terms of the stage.

The only BIG thing I think Waluigi could have over Geno in terms of Mario characters is the pure and simple fact that Waluigi is more recognizable. Other than that? Well....

MattX20

Smash Hero
Random thought that just came to me. In the debate between Waluigi or Geno there is a couple things in terms of content that Geno has over Waluigi.

That is Geno’s World. We all know it’s the Mushroom Kingdom through and through but honestly at the heart of Super Mario RPG there are quite a few things that Geno can bring to the table that you’d probably have to stretch for for Waluigi. Spirits in the form of Exor, The Axem Rangers, Brooke, and even Culex. Music is aplenty in SMRPG and a lot of it is exclusively that games music with only a few remixes scattered here and there. And of course the game is ripe for the picking in terms of the stage.

The only BIG thing I think Waluigi could have over Geno in terms of Mario characters is the pure and simple fact that Waluigi is more recognizable. Other than that? Well....
Hence the theorizing of Waluigi being a bonus fighter ala Piranha Plant rather than a full on Fighter Pack. Geno's got plenty of content to work with

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I can't believe you forgot that Waluigi, unlike Geno, has genie shoes.

Pretty sure Sakurai has a thing for characters with genie shoes (citation needed).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't pin Waluigi against Geno because they both have their own merits and, with Geno being third party, I never really saw him as competition for the other Mario characters anyways. Square? Yes. Mario? No.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I've had this dark horse theory that Good Feel would develop a new Donkey Kong game. They seem to be the fall back guys for when Nintendo has a platforming series no one else wants to work on at that time. They did Wario Land, Kirby and 2 Yoshi games. A DK game seems like a logical next step for them.

I can't really see Nintendo EPD doing anything with DK ATM. The idea of an original 2D Mario on Switch is too lucrative for them to prioritize DK first.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I can't believe you forgot that Waluigi, unlike Geno, has genie shoes.

Pretty sure Sakurai has a thing for characters with genie shoes (citation needed).
No wonder in those older videos we never saw below his waist...Sakurai is WEARING THOSE GENIE SHOES!!! He resisted the urge during Min Min's to wear them.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
In terms of Direct vs. Mini Direct, I’m honestly fine with either of them if the Mini is ~20+ minutes. I’m sure FP7 will be out September at the latest so even if they’re not fully revealed in whatever comes up (though I think they will), the wait shouldn’t be very long. We’ve waited this long, what’s a bit more, haha.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I've had this dark horse theory that Good Feel would develop a new Donkey Kong game. They seem to be the fall back guys for when Nintendo has a platforming series no one else wants to work on at that time. They did Wario Land, Kirby and 2 Yoshi games. A DK game seems like a logical next step for them.

I can't really see Nintendo EPD doing anything with DK ATM. The idea of an original 2D Mario on Switch is too lucrative for them to prioritize DK first.
Even though they decided to port NSMBU and make Mario Maker 2 first instead? I really don't think there is a high demand for a new 2D Mario at the moment. I don't see Good Feel since they seem to take a really long time to develop their games recently and Yoshi only came out last year anyway, I think we are getting DK sooner than later. Plus there's this continued fact that Donkey Kong has basically lacked a stable developer and been shuffled around teams since the buyout that Nintendo would rather make an actual team for Donkey Kong rather than just giving it to yet another developer who will move on after 1-2 games.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

If Waluigi had his own Fighter Pack it would be all over the place. You could have him represent Mario Spin-offs as a whole, have his moveset 70% tennis based, his stage could be Waluigi Island representing Mario Party, and have him bring more music from Mario Kart. The Spirit Board could even mostly represent the Camelot side of the Mushroom Kingdom.

That said, it'll be less focused than a Geno Fighter Pack, since Waluigi doesn't have his own game or starred in a meaningful role in a main game.
Geno could represent Super Mario RPG and beyond, he's one of the main characters in the first ever Mario RPG, and plays a crucial part in the story for his first appearance in the Mario franchise.

All in all, both are eligible as fighters, I may be biased for Waluigi, but Geno is overall more suited for a traditional FP.
Waluigi should get the bonus tho.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Personally, I do think if Waluigi is in the Fighters Pass somehow, I feel like Geno probably won't, as much as I would want both of them. I do understand how some may not see them as competition, but I do feel like it would be odd to have two Mario characters in the Fighters Pass.

However, I do believe Geno is more Fighters Pass-material which is why I do think he is far more likely then Waluigi, but if we are really in for bonus characters, a top contender for a bonus character would be Waluigi imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom