• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I have every right to say that I've observed toxicity that doesn't need to exist and that people are better than that. Never said I haven't done or won't do the same, or that I'm better than you... but if you're going to get so defensive about it...
We are because that's all you've ever done your entire time in this thread. You've been argumentative, judgmental, and generally unsympathetic to the struggle and feelings of oppression we have. You offer nothing except critique of our actions, while using every opportunity you can to call us toxic in order to stick YOUR finger in OUR faces and demand we behave the way you want us to. You have no right to tell us how to feel towards a cause we're passionate about. ESPECIALLY one as constantly plagued with class warfare discrimination like ours, This is the GENO thread. We love Geno here and we face more pain as a result of that than other fan bases do. That's largely the fault of people like you, with all due respect.

If you really care and want us to be less defensive, LEAVE US ALONE to enjoy our character as we see fit. You are not the first to spout your rhetoric and we've heard it a million times. We know what we are and we don't need to prove ourselves to anyone.

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
If you really care and want us to be less defensive, LEAVE US ALONE to enjoy our character as we see fit. You are not the first to spout your rhetoric and we've heard it a million times. We know what we are and we don't need to prove ourselves to anyone.
Have you read a single one of my posts here? Because all you just did was scream and cry about all of the other "bad people" who hate funny puppet man. I bother here because I enjoy SMRPG and the dumb stupid characters it offers. Geno included. This is a thread about one of those dumb stupid characters, specifically one that has a story so dark and edgy I could cut myself on it. Anyone taking serious slights to them as people because someone doesn't "get in line" seriously needs to reevaluate themselves and their priorities. This is a video game forum, have fun, enjoy the community you've built, and stop being so defensive.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Have you read a single one of my posts here? Because all you just did was scream and cry about all of the other "bad people" who hate funny puppet man. I bother here because I enjoy SMRPG and the dumb stupid characters it offers. Geno included. This is a thread about one of those dumb stupid characters, specifically one that has a story so dark and edgy I could cut myself on it. Anyone taking serious slights to them as people because someone doesn't "get in line" seriously needs to reevaluate themselves and their priorities. This is a video game forum, have fun, enjoy the community you've built, and stop being so defensive.
See? Right from the get go you have NO concept of what this thread represents to people. For that I DO take offense and I will continue to call you out for it. You think it is WE who have a problem, but all i've seen from you is scorn and, quite honestly, filth. You tell us to just have fun, while you think you have the moral superiority to tell us how to act. You don't, and I think you're being nothing but a passive-aggressive bully. Stop it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have no clue what Jeff Grubb's "wild card" hint is because I can count on my fingers and toes on what it could be from the treasure chest of lingering rumors:

-the most unbelievable of the three dead franchise revivals.

-the most unbelievable of the three Classic NES/indie collabs.

-the Master Chief Collection and/or RARE Replay for Switch.

-the Secret Butt Fun Square Enix project.

-the Namco dead franchise revival.

-F-Zero

-Literally anything in Pack 7 or 8 of Smash to the common observer.

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-Classic RARE franchises coming back on Microsoft and Nintendo platforms.

-Splatoon 3 or a Splatoon spin-off.

-A big ass Nintendo racing game that may or may not be Mario Kart but in the same vein.

-Zelda Remasters.

There's just way too much right now to totally narrow it down.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
See? Right from the get go you have NO concept of what this thread represents to people. For that I DO take offense and I will continue to call you out for it. You think it is WE who have a problem, but all i've seen from you is scorn and, quite honestly, filth. You tell us to just have fun, while you think you have the moral superiority to tell us how to act. You don't, and I think you're being nothing but a passive-aggressive bully. Stop it.
Moral superiority? It's in the name! Er... it would be if the name wasn't taken on Xbox Live. Curse you Miiiiiiiiicrooooooooooosoooooooooooooft!

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Yes, back to actual discussion.
I have no clue what Jeff Grubb's "wild card" hint is because I can count on my fingers and toes on what it could be from the treasure chest of lingering rumors:

-F-Zero

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-A big ass Nintendo racing game that may or may not be Mario Kart but in the same vein.

-Zelda Remasters.

I think it has to be Banjo, right? He's supposed to be in "Something" soon.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I think the issue Supirorguy Supirorguy is there isn't a inherently wrong (or 100% be it) view point on certain things. But the take away is the appearance of/lack of genuineness to your points. Since I don't know you, I am not assuming things, just going by the appearance of things at this point.

Topics: Hype responsibly / no echo chamber / dismissing those who don't believe Geno is a lock as hate / be healthy.

There isn't anything inhertiantly wrong with those topics. True. But what is really fueling those topics is the assumption that "If Geno does not get in, the fandom is going to riot since they are unhealthy." When a person is using these topics and these "warnings" to a specific fandom, it is making an assumption. It is assuming EVERYONE thinks Geno is a lock, they will attack anyone who doesn't, we can't hype responsibly and we will riot since we are unhealthy.

Imagine if you went to a NCAAP meeting with a large group of its members and say "Hey guys, don't commit any crimes since you wouldn't want to go to jail." How would that go for you? Would they think "Oh, he is watching out for us and our health, I don't want to go to jail!" or more like "Because we are black you think we are predisposed to commit crimes?" I know the answer to that one.

That is why I am NOT a fan of telling fandoms to Hype Responsibly, don't riot, be healthy, you all attack people who don't agree with you, etc. etc.

At most, you can say that in the Newcomer's thread to Hype responsibly since it is not one particular fandom.

If a SPECIFIC CHARACTER support thread has people who think said character is a lock. That's fine. They don't need to be told how to feel or act IN THEIR OWN THREAD. At most, to be true to your thought, you need to go to EVERY SUPPORT THREAD and say these words to clear this misconception. Though I highly doubt anyone who does the whole "Hype Responsibly/Don't Riot/Etc. Etc don't do that.

It'ss always the Geno thread. We need to be the targets. Ridley, K Rool and Banjo bore this mentality, I guess we will need to as well until either a costume or fighter is revealed. I pity the next long requested fighter.

I know how Greninja felt in Smash 4. X character is too strong? Better nerf Grininja. Online is laggy? Better Nerf Grininja. Rinse and repeat.

Ok I said my peace and will not bring up this topic again.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

-F-Zero

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-Zelda Remasters.

Is this the wild card on his schedule? My interpretation was that Nintendo’s got a direct coming at some point in that time period but he wasn’t sure exactly when.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Hype responsibility is ****ing trash
Let me crash and burn down in my own hype

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
I think the issue Supirorguy Supirorguy is there isn't a inherently wrong (or 100% be it) view point on certain things. But the take away is the appearance of/lack of genuineness to your points. Since I don't know you, I am not assuming things, just going by the appearance of things at this point.

Topics: Hype responsibly / no echo chamber / dismissing those who don't believe Geno is a lock as hate.

There isn't anything inhertiantly wrong with those topics. True. But what is really fueling those topics is the assumption that "If Geno does not get in, the fandom is going to riot since they are unhealthy." When a person is using these topics and these "warnings" to a specific fandom, it is making an assumption. It is assuming EVERYONE thinks Geno is a lock, they will attack anyone who doesn't, we can't hype responsibly and we will riot since we are unhealthy.

Imagine if you went to a NCAAP meeting with a large group of its members and say "Hey guys, don't commit any crimes since you wouldn't want to go to jail." How would that go for you? Would they think "Oh, he is watching out for us and our health, I don't want to go to jail!" or more like "Because we are black you think we are predisposed to commit crimes?" I know the answer to that one.

That is why I am NOT a fan of telling fandoms to Hype Responsibly, don't riot, be healthy, you all attack people who don't agree with you, etc. etc.

At most, you can say that in the Newcomer's thread to Hype responsibly since it is not one particular fandom.

If a SPECIFIC CHARACTER support thread has people who think said character is a lock. That's fine. They don't need to be told how to feel or act IN THEIR OWN THREAD.

Ok I said my peace and will not bring up this topic again.
You make some great points, but if one community is very clearly causing issues or having issues thrown at them something needs to change. It's not even Geno thread where most of the problems surrounding Geno thread crop up. The thread has been very clearly ostracized and "cast out", but instead of trying to mend bridges it seems that most of the people here would rather burn them. Having watched Ridley and Banjo threads closely, this community will never be accepted so long as it doesn't try to acknowledge other communities. This is even seen with community members who were active in Ridley and Banjo thread. Even if it's been a year or longer since they actually got put into the game.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The living star that possesses a brightly colored doll so that he can restore the power of wishes is the very definition of edge, tbh.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Geno is the 90s "Final Fantasy cool guy" and that's what I'm referring to. Having a giant sword cut through star road? Flying down to earth to prevent destruction? It's equal to how out of place Shadow the Hedgehog was at his time of introduction. Geno does anything but fit in, and that's why I like him.

in what ****ing universe? what?
Clearly you missed the secret room in Bowser's Castle which replaced the Star Gun with an Uzi 9mm.

Bit of a game breaker, though not as bad as the Lazy Shell.
He played a personalized copy of smrpg where geno has the personality of shadow the hedgehog

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So, the Pikmin 3 Deluxe ended up getting shadow-drop announced... definitely not something I expected. Granted, it's not that big of an announcement (it's great, don't get me wrong, but it's still just a "deluxe" port of a Wii U game), but I still expected to see it in a Direct of some sort. Also, I guess Nintendo will be going into that investor briefing with at least one release... so that's something...

So... what does this mean for everything going forward? Will we be getting a Partner Showcase and everything first-party will be shadow-drop announced? Will we be getting a Mario-themed Direct while everything not Mario-related gets shadow-dropped? Or is a big general Direct still in the cards and Nintendo is just off-loading the smaller announcements beforehand?

StarMagician

Smash Cadet
You make some great points, but if one community is very clearly causing issues or having issues thrown at them something needs to change. It's not even Geno thread where most of the problems surrounding Geno thread crop up. The thread has been very clearly ostracized and "cast out", but instead of trying to mend bridges it seems that most of the people here would rather burn them. Having watched Ridley and Banjo threads closely, this community will never be accepted so long as it doesn't try to acknowledge other communities. This is even seen with community members who were active in Ridley and Banjo thread. Even if it's been a year or longer since they actually got put into the game.
Who gives a ****? Why do you think anyone here is obligated to build some grandiose connection with other thread communities on Smashboards?
This is the Geno thread, where the Geno community gathers. No part of that involves being buddy-buddy with other communities, and no part of that hinges on being "liked." We do not need acceptance to any degree to do what we do here.

Your posts today really just reek of trying to stir up e-drama bull**** among Smashboards members. Give it a rest mate.

MattX20

Smash Hero

-F-Zero

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-Zelda Remasters.

Whatever it is, it's going to be a big reveal no matter what

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've got no need to try and mend bridges with those who would so easily cast me out. It's frankly not my, or anyone else's responsibility. It's video game speculation. I can exit this thread and have not a care in the world as to how anyone else views it, and my life will go on, unburdened. If the people who unjustly cast us out are so interested in making nice, maybe they should be the one to extend the olive branch?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Inappropriate content
A target community must be the problem, they have to be the one in fault. That sounds like China's view on the Uighurs. Obviously those dang Uighurs were/are the problem ... so that party is at fault and needs to fix it ....

See how that doesn't make sense. Why is the targeted party "the problem" for just ... being something? Or in this case, wanting a particular character?

Reminds me of youtube videos when a person says on newcomer speculation of "I hope Geno get's in" with responses of "GeNOPE" "No way for our stupid puppet."

A sizable part of the community does not like long requested characters. That's how it is ... so the hated long character is the problem?

EDIT: I Also want to be clear I am not lumping "the whole community" into this, specifically those who have some strong hatred for a particular character/fandom from franchises that have been wanted in Smash for a long time.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
One can hope and be excited for what they wish for in life, and still be mature enough to accept a different fate if things don't ever go in such way. There is no need to live a life of hopelessness as an "armor" against disappointment. You only live life once, and I would rather do it at my most rather than being a bummer all the way and missing the fun times that can be created through hope and optimism. Just be mature enough to accept things going differently and be able to move on in such case. No one needs to be told how to enjoy the stuff they like, nor be limited in how to enjoy them.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
One can hope and be excited for what they wish for in life, and still be mature enough to accept a different fate if things don't ever go in such way. There is no need to live a life of hopelessness as an "armor" against disappointment. You only live life once, and I would rather do it at my most rather than being a bummer all the way and missing the fun times that can be created through hope and optimism. Just be mature enough to accept things going differently and be able to move in such case. No one needs to be told how to enjoy the stuff they like, nor be limited in how to enjoy them.
Yep, also hey Nazyrus, how're you?

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
Doing alright I guess, just finding ways to kill time as nothing interesting continues to happen, lol.
While we have you here, are you able to comment further on anything you've heard re: Geno? You mentioned you heard one source claiming he was in, but that was before that whole hullabaloo of a week of misunderstandings. Was what you heard hinging on information that turned out to be false with the release of the Partner Direct as opposed to a full/mini one?

Apologies if I'm overstepping or minimizing anything here

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno's literal intro into the game is Mario playing with a kid, the kid accidentally shots him in the face, Geno comes to life ala Pinocchio, he does a happy little cheer, wanders around in confusion in the dark, and then accidentally hits his head on the staircase before shaking it off and wandering outside with no real strategy or idea where he's actually going. That's like the opposite of edgy. I know he has guns n **** ™ but that aspect of him isn't saturated into his character. He's quiet and thoughtful but not aloof and that's part of why I got so attached to the character as a kid. Yeah, the low hanging fruit was definitely there and he could have been pretty much Wooden Cloud but they went in a completely different direction than faceplanting into 90's stereotypes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno's literal intro into the game is Mario playing with a kid, the kid accidentally shots him in the face, Geno comes to life ala Pinocchio, he does a happy little cheer, wanders around in confusion in the dark, and then accidentally hits his head on the staircase before shaking it off and wandering outside with no real strategy or idea where he's actually going. That's like the opposite of edgy. I know he has guns n **** ™ but that aspect of him isn't saturated into his character. He's quiet and thoughtful but not aloof and that's part of why I got so attached to the character as a kid. Yeah, the low hanging fruit was definitely there and he could have been pretty much Wooden Cloud but they went in a completely different direction than faceplanting into 90's stereotypes.
Exactly, the cutscenes make it clear he's anything but edgy. I mean, he laughs at jokes and funny things too, the stereotypical edgy character wouldn't

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I prefer Nintendo doing this. His Royal Majesty, King Zell, says at least two more shadowdrops are coming before the Direct and, dollars to donuts, it's some of the rumors that hit critical mass a long time ago. The Mario remasters and maaaaaaaaaybe the Prime Trilogy are the two I immediately think of. This also means the Directs will overwhelmingly be brand new stuff that has been kept from the public eye so, hopefully more of you believe me now, there's some very good stuff in the near future.
the mario collection seems a bit big for a shadowdrop, the 3d land remake would

-F-Zero

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-Zelda Remasters.

don't forget the switch pro/ new version
and n64 games on switch online
edit: not sure why that first quote is there it wont let me remove it

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Where do you get the GALL to say we haven't been accepting to others? You are talking to a community of people who have in some cases had their lives ruined for supporting this character, and you tell us WE need to be more tolerant? Dude, if you're applying that to the way you're being received in this thread, That's on YOU. You are responsible for the way we treat you in here. Don't call us toxic for disagreeing with you when you say we are.

I swear, your ignorance about this community is staggering, no offense.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You mentioned you heard one source claiming he was in, but that was before that whole hullabaloo of a week of misunderstandings.
As far as I remember I clarified that I was just hyping out FP7 overall because I believe personally that it should be announced soon, based on what we know about the amiibos coming out in September and such. I even said I don't get info on smash stuff. At this point if FP7 is not revealed through whatever presentation comes during this month, it might be at the usual final direct (or mini or whatever they end making this time) of the year, which is always on September. I have no idea who FP7 is or if Geno is coming at all, but FP7 should be a Fall release, by pure logic.

I might have heard something from a different circle that I am not part of (as in, I only heard about it through a friend who IS part of such circle), but since I'm not part of that group of people, I cannot say that I can trust them nor that I know them enough to say they are even worth paying attention. It's better for me to only tease what I hear from my end specifically since that's where I can be sure of something truly. I don't like to spread info that I cannot verify myself, and nobody needs weak rumors that turns into nothing anyway, you all had enough of those at this point.

The only thing I have heard from my source during this whole year is that Golden Sun HD is coming ( hopefully still in 2020 if it hasn't been delayed like almost everything else has in gaming this year, lol ), and even I'm nervous about that one because I haven't heard any update on it or any other type of games since April, it's been hard to hear anything at all this year, for obvious reasons I guess.

But yeah, if Geno is leaked at some point, I don't think there's any chance at all that it will be from me, lol.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I might have heard something from a different circle that I am not part of (as in, I only heard about it through a friend who IS part of such circle), but since I'm not part of that group of people, I cannot say that I can trust them nor that I know them enough to say they are even worth paying attention. It's better for me to only tease what I hear from my end specifically since that's where I can be sure of something truly. I don't like to spread info that I cannot verify myself, and nobody needs weak rumors that turns into nothing anyway, you all had enough of those at this point.
Ahh, yes, that's what I was remembering. I appreciate the re-clarification! Sorry for dragging you into this otherwise

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
As far as I remember I clarified that I was just hyping out FP7 overall because I believe personally that it should be announced soon, based on what we know about the amiibos coming out in September and such. I even said I don't get info on smash stuff. At this point if FP7 is not revealed through whatever presentation comes during this month, it might be at the usual final direct (or mini or whatever they end making this time) of the year, which is always on September. I have no idea who FP7 is or if Geno is coming at all, but FP7 should be a Fall release, by pure logic.

The only thing I have heard from my source during this whole year is that Golden Sun HD is coming ( hopefully still in 2020 if it hasn't been delayed like almost everything else has in gaming this year, lol ), and even I'm nervous about that one because I haven't heard any update on it or any other type of games since April, it's been hard to hear anything at all this year, for obvious reasons I guess.

But yeah, if Geno is leaked at some point, I don't think there's any chance at all that it will be from me, lol.
Okay i came here for the Geno clarification and then my eyes did the cartoon BOING pop when I saw Golden Sun HD. What else can you say about that?

And all weak rumours aside - how do you personally feel about Geno’s chances in Smash?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
edit: just delete this post. it's not even worth it

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

Just curious, what did the person in that circle say about Geno exactly? That he was likely? That he was in for sure? Not enough to recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom