• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well, we've now established that bonus stages are a thing so next step up is potentially characters.
If we are getting two Mario characters, then I call we get two Zelda characters.... (aka, I can´t see Nintendo Dubble dip on a franchise, even when it comes to Mario)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think more stages out side of the Fighters Pass are coming after this. They didn't need to make 3 separate random buttons for each stage variation. It worked fine the way it did before. The only thing that comes to mind is that they plan on filling in the stage select screen entirely so they needed something to fill it out

Hopefully we can get stuff like Pac Maze and Pokefloats down the line. At the very least, I could see them making Small Battlefield available for every stage

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
What we need now is the direct itself to tell us what's coming next. The Ron Paul post could mean a shadowdrop tomorrow for all we know

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
If we are getting two Mario characters, then I call we get two Zelda characters.... (aka, I can´t see Nintendo Dubble dip on a franchise, even when it comes to Mario)
Yeah I agree with this. Zelda is severely underrepresented in Smash and it is a crime that we haven't had a new Zelda character since Brawl and a completely new one since Melee. While I'm not expecting another Zelda character, I think we really do need one.

If we were to get another Zelda rep, my bet would be on Impa.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Hasn't Sakurai basically killed the idea of characters beyond the 6 we were promised though? Sakurai never suggested stages were off the table and we may likely receive a couple more but Sakurai has said these are the only ones 3 times tbh. Last time he was more adamant than ever

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree with this. Zelda is severely underrepresented in Smash and it is a crime that we haven't had a new Zelda character since Brawl and a completely new one since Melee. While I'm not expecting another Zelda character, I think we really do need one.

If we were to get another Zelda rep, my bet would be on Impa.
It feels like the arguments about Geno+Waluigi is "35h anniversary"... and if that's the cause, why aren´t we expecting 2 Zelda reps then since its Zeldas 35th concidering they have also a ton of old-time request (Impa, Skull Kid, Midna)???

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hasn't Sakurai basically killed the idea of characters beyond the 6 we were promised though? Sakurai never suggested stages were off the table and we may likely receive a couple more but Sakurai has said these are the only ones 3 times tbh. Last time he was more adamant than ever
Now this is very true. We have been told multiple times that the fighters were IT. But I honestly took it as in everything the pass had to offer. As in, Fighter WITH music and a Stage.

Incredibly weak thought, but I was under that impression. And with this new Stage out of nowhere...it seems we could get AT MOST one bonus fighter.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
It is the last of the DLC until it isn’t.

No one was expecting stages outside of the fighters pass, and many have been under the impression that we are only getting fighter pass 2 and nothing more, no new modes or anything, just more spirits and what’s included in the fighters pass.

yes, keep expectations in check, but personally I wouldn’t rule out additional DLC, including more fighters.

D

Deleted member

Here’s my wishlist for content outside the fighters:

PokeFloats
PAC Man Maze
Orbital Gate

Break the Targets
Smash Run from the 3DS
Board the Platforms
WoL expansion is probably a long shot, but would be cool.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
To be fair, Sakurai never said that bonus stages were planned yet that is exactly what we got. Same case here. Sakurai never said that bonus characters are or aren't planned. What he MAY have meant is that Volume 2 may be the last Fighters Pass, but not the last thing in terms of content.

Honestly, I do think we could get bonus fighters. One of the biggest things that leads me to believe this is the fact that their is an entire section DEDICATED to bonus fighters and the only one their is Piranha Plant. To me, it kinda feels odd and "out of place" for an entire section dedicated to one fighter. I think this may be because more additional fighters could happen down the pipeline.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

No one was expecting stages outside of the fighters pass, and many have been under the impression that we are only getting fighter pass 2 and nothing more, no new modes or anything, just more spirits and what’s included in the fighters pass.

yes, keep expectations in check, but personally I wouldn’t rule out additional DLC, including more fighters.
Not only that, I remember there being people who thought that the first Fighters Pass would basically be it for DLC, and look where we are now...

I think it's safe to assume that, for now at least, Fighters Pass 2 and its included contents will be it... but I also won't rule out the possibility that Nintendo, the developers, or both will change their minds along the way and do some more additional DLC.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

That's something I pointed out though. Stages weren't really expected because people don't really discuss stages at least not as much as characters. And Small Battlefield is honestly not too major a stage. Either way we could play the anything can happen card, but I personally don't think we should as one reason so many people dislike it is because it is only applied to things people want to make an excuse to view as likely whether have no other plausibly applicable reason.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Not only that, I remember there being people who thought that the first Fighters Pass would basically be it for DLC, and look where we are now...

I think it's safe to assume that, for now at least, Fighters Pass 2 and its included contents will be it... but I also won't rule out the possibility that Nintendo, the developers, or both will change their minds along the way and do some more additional DLC.
I agree.

I brought up the fact that we do not know what’s happening on Nintendo or Sakurais end, we only know what they tell us.
Plans change (just look at how things have changed with the pandemic)

That said, I’m looking at 3 stage slots left on the stage select screen. Maybe there will be 1 fighter without a stage and a Fighters Pass 3 with only 3 packs.

Just throwing that idea out there, it could be just a fighter with a stage and nothing more, only time will tell.

Overall, I am very pleased with this update, lol

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I found out about "Small Battlefield" on one of my discords and I swear I thought it was a meme at first.

At least there's now a 1% chance Poke Floats gets added.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Well, we've now established that bonus stages are a thing so next step up is potentially characters.
Battlefield.jpg

Speaking of bonus stages, looking at the new stage selection screen, if we fill out the empty spaces on the bottom row there's 8 spaces left to fill. With 5 more pack stages left, that leaves 3 more spaces, so at the least 3 more bonus stages are possible.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
What we need now is the direct itself to tell us what's coming next. The Ron Paul post could mean a shadowdrop tomorrow for all we know
Better yet, imagine a "Direct Direct!", where it's literally nothing but Nintendo telling us when the next directs are.

...sadly enough, at this point, that actually sounds somewhat appealing...

...huuuuggghh...

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 281342

Speaking of bonus stages, looking at the new stage selection screen, if we fill out the empty spaces on the bottom row there's 8 spaces left to fill. With 5 more pack stages left, that leaves 3 more spaces, so at the least 3 more bonus stages are possible.
In online matches, their is a random button that you're able to choose so it actually leaves two more extra slots open. Still, this is pretty exciting stuff. My hopes for bonus stages is some returning ones like Poke Floats, PAC-MAZE, Rainbow Road and even Meta Crystal

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
In online matches, their is a random button that you're able to choose so it actually leaves two more extra slots open. Still, this is pretty exciting stuff. My hopes for bonus stages is some returning one like Poke Floats, PAC-MAZE, Rainbow Road and even Meta Crystal
If we're talking about returning stages and not new ones, here's at least one from each previous main title I'd like back:

64: Meta Crystal
Melee: Poke Floats
Brawl: Rumble Falls
3DS: Pac-Maze
Wii U: Jungle Hijinxs or Orbital Gate Assault

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Today sure has been a weird ass day for Smash. A small but pretty good update just getting shadow dropped, more theorycrafting, and this fabled Ron Paul poster I only just heard about. A pretty good birthday gift, eh Sigran101 Sigran101 ?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
While i'm trying to keep Sephazon's post at the back of my mind, part of me just wonders why they wouldn't just fill four more slots to get all the dummy slots filled and the roster a perfect square. Maybe they could change their mind if the middling characters of Pass 2 sell really well. I'm not expecting Pass 3 at all but I still don't want to say additional characters in some form is entirely out of possibility. We didn't even know we could get individual free stage dlc until today.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Great news indeed!

I'm not gonna get too used to the idea of additional stages until we get at least one more, I kinda see Small Battlefield as an effortless bonus. What we do need is Poke Floats. I don't care how much of an abomination that stage was to play on, it deserves to be an Ultimate, and I have a lot of fun thinking about what the Battlefield and FD modes of that stage would look like lol.

With all the little hints and tidbits we've had today and this past week, it's safe to assume we'll get an update on the next fighter soon! At least we have more evidence that development of Smash has not been hindered by COVID, so there's no reason that news of the next fighter would be delayed like other Nintendo content. Please be Geno! At the very least, please be a character I want! :)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, that was a surprise. I didn't expect to see an update to come out like this. So, out of nowhere. I would have thought that they were only for glitches and stuff but nothing like a new type of stage.

I'm guessing there's still attention for the game like that on the table. And that can be just as hype as a new character. I'm ok with that.

And also, if they went with an update like this, then I'm sure a character or characters are very well finished or close to and it's just a matter of time before a reveal.

Like I said, a 'Mr. Sakurai Presents' showcase it's what's going to happen.

Stuff is happening and we're not in the dark as we thought (at least with Smash).

:bowser:.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm counting the rest of the week out now, next week or after seems like our ticket out of this mess. Just sit back and watch how stuff plays out.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Poke Floats wasn't one of my favorite stages, I would want to see it return just to see how beautiful it would look in modern graphics in HD. It would probably be the most beautiful stage in Ultimate from a visual stand point. I imagine it would be a nightmare to program, but if they did it once they can do it again.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
View attachment 281342

1596605255598.png

I did a mockup, assuming that last spot gets taken by either a random button or Stage Builder selection; we're looking at potentially two more stages beyond the Fighter's Pass

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Not seeing anyone else talk about this-

Are the new music selection settings not working as intended? I can't select any new songs for any of the Battlefields or Final Destination.

Everyone is talking about how exciting this is, but the option just isn't there for me. Not in My Music anyway.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Something random I thought I'd share, I figured out why I support Geno so much. Super Mario RPG isn't my favorite Mario RPG, and I don't really have a big attachment to Geno like most others in this thread. I think I support him more because Mario RPG games have been my favorite sub-series of the Mario franchise. I grew up with the Mario & Luigi games being some of my favorite games of all time, Super Mario RPG was awesome, and I'm only now getting to the Paper Mario games and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Geno to me is more of representing the Mario RPGs as a whole, and I really admire that idea. Also, reviving a character who everyone thought was gone forever in Smash is just such an epic concept, and Geno would likely have the coolest moveset in the game. And I feel Geno might usher in a new era of Mario RPGs, so I'd be excited to see what the future holds (as long as Nintendo strays away from mediocrity.)

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
You have to select the song by pressing the button on stage select ( on the little preview image). You cant use my music for 1000+ songs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So does anyone right now know how many stage slots are currently left in the game's coding? I think they recently added more slots to the code but I'm talking about currently though.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
You have to select the song by pressing the button on stage select ( on the little preview image). You cant use my music for 1000+ songs.
Oh that's pretty lame. So you have to actively pick the song you want? I thought we were able to set new music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom