• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
None of us here believe that Geno is a lock, we just think he's fairly likely given all that has transpired over the past year or so of DLC
Don't speak for everyone. I have seen people say that, or at least say Geno is 100% in, or nearly that amount, like QQS.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
None of us here believe that Geno is a lock, we just think he's fairly likely given all that has transpired over the past year or so of DLC
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It’s happening guys, Geno is joining the party.
Always so sure. Always confident. He is here. If someone denies Geno’s chances after all what we know and after all the demand and after all that’s has been happening (specially No Mii costume yet, songs copyrighted, MinMin upgrade and mostly, Sakurai’s acknowledge), that someone is purely blind.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
One of my confidants saw my earlier post about the Smash website last night and apparently him and one of his friends documented what all went down. I slept through it so I only heard about a little when my cats woke up me up because the ****heads decided 3am was breakfast time today. He mentioned I suck at censoring things so I'll just copy and paste and call him and his friend Sherlock and Watson:

Sherlock: "Good morning fatman. I didn't tell you this since i thought you would be told or notice it but when the smash website glitched it wasn't just not loading for some people but it was loading for some like me and Watson. When we got in there the banner was glitching, the question marks on unrevealed characters were gone. The fighters tab was completely inaccessible unless i used a direct link. Icons on the fighters page weren't loading. Display by series was glitching out for me and Watson."

"The "super mario" part wasn't loading for me lmao. For Watson it was donkey kong, zelda and star fox. The link to the smash website from nintendo's official website just wasn't even there."

"When you attempt to see the smash site from nintendo's website (last night):

View attachment 281102"

"It was like this from the EU and US sites as well for those who could get in. In my case i couldn't even ****ing click the fighters tab. For Watson the banner was mass glitching and duplicating (like when a new character is added). For me a part of the banner was missing (the ****ing part to the left of mario)."

(Screenshot that was shared online last night of said glitch)

View attachment 281103
I do think the oddities of the page not loading properly and in certain spots definitely means something up. It's hard to say what means something and what doesn't, for example Mario / DK / Zelda / Starfox franchises not displaying properly, while I think it's possible that the next 4 DLC are related to them, I don't think it's likely. I think some of it is just the site being weird with whatever changes / source ID / etc. they were making. I do though feel that for the site to be functioning and loading properly for months now for all of a sudden not to be, something is probably going on. I think it's fair to say that whatever the cause, an August reveal is definitely happening. I don't think there's any precedence for this to happen a month away from any prior addition.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Not at all. Last time the site glitched up this much was before they added Hero and Banjo. Based on everything Sherlock and Watson noticed, the following are probably fair conclusions to make:

-We're likely to soon be getting a newcomer from one, possibly more, preexisting series as many of the individual series pages were apparently under maintenance last night.

-The Smash banner will probably be updated with at least two characters fairly soon given the notable size of the glitch on the banner.

-Given how hard the fighter page flat out glitched out, at least one new series being added soon is a reasonable expectation too.
We’re so close I can almost taste it

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do think the oddities of the page not loading properly and in certain spots definitely means something up. It's hard to say what means something and what doesn't, for example Mario / DK / Zelda / Starfox franchises not displaying properly, while I think it's possible that the next 4 DLC are related to them, I don't think it's likely. I think some of it is just the site being weird with whatever changes / source ID / etc. they were making. I do though feel that for the site to be functioning and loading properly for months now for all of a sudden not to be, something is probably going on. I think it's fair to say that whatever the cause, an August reveal is definitely happening. I don't think there's any precedence for this to happen a month away from any prior addition.
If it were meant to be revealed in September, chances are it would've happened at the end of the month. Maintenance for Smash reveals never happens this far in advance

D

Deleted member

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
What a shame that the thread in which supporters of a character have posted 3134 full pages worth of speculation, hopes and dreams believe that the character that they want is a 100% guarantee lock. The sheer liquid ****ing audacity of these people, right? Absolutely unacceptable.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What a shame that the thread in which supporters of a character have posted 3134 full pages worth of speculation, hopes and dreams believe that the character that they want is a 100% guarantee lock. The sheer liquid ****ing audacity of these people, right? Absolutely unacceptable.
He's not trying to crush any hopes and dreams, and having more than 3000 pages only means so much. He did not say it was absolutely unacceptable, too. He just wanted to share his thoughts.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Last time I checked, Sony was a Japanese-based company just like Nintendo. Microsoft is an American one. You know, United States of America? As in one of the most socially and economically impacted countries of the pandemic in the entire world? So two other companies are in a similar geographic and social position as Nintendo, yet still churn out content without complaint while Nintendo makes sure to cite COVID for each (and likely every upcoming) pathetic excuse for a direct. Sounds like an excuse to me. If they've inexplicably been hit harder, it would most likely be the fault of their own mismanagement of resources and even then their marketing team is dropping the ball hard. The FACT of the matter is that Nintendo's got seemingly nothing left in the tank for 2020 with the exception of (hopefully) some Smash DLC and maybe a last minute nugget for the holidays which we've yet to see. If they had any meaningful ammo, we would have seen it by now. I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong but it doesn't seem like that'll be happening any time soon.
Did you miss the part about the investigations that have essentially stopped their entire machinery?

D

Deleted member

Did you miss the part about the investigations that have essentially stopped their entire machinery?
I sure missed that, mind giving me a quick enlightenment? Am I about to be fed a tale about the fact that Nintendo has not been able to announce anything new since September 2019 because they're investigating something?

Griselda

Smash Lord
There's really no point in going into every part of life second-guessing your stances and feelings. In the end, anything could happen, and that's why it doesn't really matter whether you decide to feel more or less sure about a character coming to a video game. The world will keep spinning, regardless of whether Geno gets into Smash or not. Me, personally, I've already got some stress-related concerns for my health that definitely wouldn't be helped by my constantly going "Wait, nothing is guaranteed, so maybe I should be more cautious".

And another point I feel I should make: let's say Geno doesn't get in, and a full half of the people here lose their marbles in sadness and anger. ...That is also acceptable. People, as living human beings that should be respected as such, are entitled to their own emotions even if they are negative emotions. You can't control people and tell them that they can't be upset or sad or angry. That's just as fundamentally wrong as telling them that they can't be happy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I sure missed that, mind giving me a quick enlightenment? Am I about to be fed a tale about the fact that Nintendo has not been able to announce anything new since September 2019 because they're investigating something?
It’s those mega leaks like all those source codes, L IS REAL 2401 etc

Firox

Smash Master
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendos-major-franchises-tracking-the-years-since-new-entries

Found this article about when the last time was that we had an entry of each of Nintendo's IPs. A few interesting ones that jumped out at me:

-6 years, 3 months since the last mainline Mario Kart game. (MK8)

-6 years, 6 months since the last Donkey Kong Country (tropical freeze)

-7 years, 1 month since the last Pikmin.

-10 years since the last mainline Metroid game (Other M). What the hell, Nintendo?

-15 years since the last F-Zero.....

I think we're slightly overdue for a blast from the past. I think Geno would be a nice homage to hold us over until then.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I actually have a different theory on why those four were noticed to have glitches. The main thing they have in common is that they have multiple reps and their pages are set up in a particular way. The main page looks like this:

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/series.html

And here's the Mario page:

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/01.html

You'll notice that each of their pages "ends" at the bottom but is set up in a particular way. The series pages are set up by "blocks" and the characters with an uneven number of multiple reps have a "block" that's simply the series name. Here's "Mother" for comparison:

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/10.html

And here's Fire Emblem:

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/21.html

Chances are that multiple "uneven" series are going to change to even and why the glitch has occurred.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
There's really no point in going into every part of life second-guessing your stances and feelings. In the end, anything could happen, and that's why it doesn't really matter whether you decide to feel more or less sure about a character coming to a video game. The world will keep spinning, regardless of whether Geno gets into Smash or not. Me, personally, I've already got some stress-related concerns for my health that definitely wouldn't be helped by my constantly going "Wait, nothing is guaranteed, so maybe I should be more cautious".

And another point I feel I should make: let's say Geno doesn't get in, and a full half of the people here lose their marbles in sadness and anger. ...That is also acceptable. People, as living human beings that should be respected as such, are entitled to their own emotions even if they are negative emotions. You can't control people and tell them that they can't be upset or sad or angry. That's just as fundamentally wrong as telling them that they can't be happy.
This was never stated or implied. What was stated and implied was that throwing tantrums over a guest character in a children's party game is not healthy for anyone involved. Smash, and speculation, are supposed to be fun activities. It's perfectly fine to be invested, disappointed, and angry, but skepticism in doses prevents foolish outbursts of the likes of the Grinch Hoax.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think thinking a character is a lock is inherently unhealthy unless you’re bad at handling disappointment to the point of raging and being extremely hateful and maybe getting depressed - which a lot of the people who say “temper your expectations” seem to be afraid of, but they say this to people they don’t know a lot even if they don’t show signs of throwing tantrums, and so it’s sometimes annoying but understandable I guess. A lot of people who think something is guaranteed are just trying to be optimistic or have fun anyway, as they still at least have a bit of room for doubt.

Or, I’d like to think so, at least. I think he’s 99% gonna be in but I know The List™️ and what the insider dudes said could lead to nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s those mega leaks like all those source codes, L IS REAL 2401 etc
So Nintendo investigating leaks that just happened has put the kibash on their announcement of anything from October 2019 to present day. The full force of Nintendo's staff, from programmers, marketing, upper management and custodial staff have put boots on the ground, assisting the legal department and whatever law firm they contract in looking for clues as to how this mystery man or mystery team was able to leak the entire contents of their unused tape drives.

This is the new excuse?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendos-major-franchises-tracking-the-years-since-new-entries

Found this article about when the last time was that we had an entry of each of Nintendo's IPs. A few interesting ones that jumped out at me:

-6 years, 3 months since the last mainline Mario Kart game. (MK8)

-6 years, 6 months since the last Donkey Kong Country (tropical freeze)

-7 years, 1 month since the last Pikmin.

-10 years since the last mainline Metroid game (Other M). What the hell, Nintendo?

-15 years since the last F-Zero.....

I think we're slightly overdue for a blast from the past. I think Geno would be a nice homage to hold us over until then.
Actually, it's only been three years since Samus Returns. It may be a remake of a past installment, but it was made from the ground up and changed a lot. I'd say that's enough to be counted as it's own thing.

Firox

Smash Master
Did you miss the part where you have no proof that the investigations have "stopped their entire machinery"? I don't see how a leak of decades-old content has an impact on the development of Smash DLC or the next Zelda game. Even if it did, amazing to note that Sony and Microsoft haven't had to deal with internal leaks like that either. As I said before, it's Nintendo being incompetent with their resources.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t think thinking a character is a lock is inherently unhealthy unless you’re bad at handling disappointment to the point of raging and being extremely hateful and maybe getting depressed - which a lot of the people who say “temper your expectations” seem to be afraid of. A lot of people who think something is guaranteed are just trying to be optimistic or have fun anyway, as they still at least have a bit of room for doubt.

Or, I’d like to think so, at least. I think he’s 99% gonna be in but I know The List™️ and what the insider dudes said could lead to nothing.
Believe me, it can be. Plus, 99% is not 100%, but it can be risky. Unless you remained calm through the whole thing, it can backfire.

This was never stated or implied. What was stated and implied was that throwing tantrums over a guest character in a children's party game is not healthy for anyone involved. Smash, and speculation, are supposed to be fun activities. It's perfectly fine to be invested, disappointed, and angry, but skepticism in doses prevents foolish outbursts of the likes of the Grinch Hoax.
Exactly! While some people say they may not throw a tantrum, it is still possible. plus, still expecting Geno even if he does not get in Fighters Pass slot after Fighters Pass slot will make it worse. Not saying Geno can't be rooted for, especially after FP7, but if Geno does not get in by FP11, I can see a lot of backlash and a lot of disappointment, possibly anger. While people can do whatever they may want, it is not without consequences. So if people try to warn them, and they don't listen, the people who try to warn are not to blame, nor are Nintendo. The people who overhype themselves are.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
I actually have a different theory on why those four were noticed to have glitches. The main thing they have in common is that they have multiple reps and their pages are set up in a particular way. The main page looks like this:

You'll notice that each of their pages "ends" at the bottom but is set up in a particular way. The series pages are set up by "blocks" and the characters with an uneven number of multiple reps have a "block" that's simply the series name. Here's "Mother" for comparison:

And here's Fire Emblem:

Chances are that multiple "uneven" series are going to change to even and why the glitch has occurred.
Hmm, nice find.

Griselda

Smash Lord
And I said that if someone wants to throw a tantrum over a children's party game, then it's nobody's business but theirs. It's not healthy for you to be so concerned about the thread's reactions to Smash DLC. We're largely all adults, here, and even the few who might throw tantrums if Geno isn't in aren't going to be permanently harmed or killed by it.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
And I said that if someone wants to throw a tantrum over a children's party game, then it's nobody's business but theirs. It's not healthy for you to be so concerned about the thread's reactions to Smash DLC.
A community without basic human sympathy is dead. If people cannot control their emotions over such simple things, they shouldn't be allowed to be on their own. Regardless of age.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

And here's Fire Emblem:

Ah, that's interesting, but the pages are all set to dynamically scale. Like if you go to the Mario one and shrink it a bit (or stretch if you have it small to begin with), you can get a 3x3 tile layout and plenty of other layouts. Or if you make the browser width the minimum it can go (at least in Chrome), it switches to what appears to be the mobile layout. So I'm a little skeptical on this one personally.

And isn't Zelda an Even series? Why would that have effected that one? And I'm really struggling to find a 4th Starfox character they would add. People like Krystal, but I dunno.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Believe me, it can be. Plus, 99% is not 100%, but it can be risky. Unless you remained calm through the whole thing, it can backfire.

Exactly! While some people say they may not throw a tantrum, it is still possible. plus, still expecting Geno even if he does not get in Fighters Pass slot after Fighters Pass slot will make it worse. Not saying Geno can't be rooted for, especially after FP7, but if Geno does not get in by FP11, I can see a lot of backlash and a lot of disappointment, possibly anger. While people can do whatever they may want, it is not without consequences. So if people try to warn them, and they don't listen, the people who try to warn are not to blame, nor are Nintendo. The people who overhype themselves are.
I can’t speak for everyone else (though I have faith most of us can handle it), but believe me, I’m not gonna throw a tantrum. I’d be disappointed and maybe a bit sad at most, just like when Hero was revealed and I stopped expecting Banjo & Kazooie until near the end of E3 for some reason.

I’m not someone who demands something and cries about it if it doesn’t happen, even if I wish it did and (in certain situations) may do my best to give constructive criticism and suggestions to devs.

Tbh I really don’t think people should be bothered for just the possibility of throwing a tantrum until they actually throw a tantrum and it opens up the possibility for a learning experience. I know some people did something similar during the bird image thing but I think the thread has gotten better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A community without basic human sympathy is dead. If people cannot control their emotions over such simple things, they shouldn't be allowed to be on their own. Regardless of age.
Damn, bro. It's a real tragedy that people get on the internet and post inflammatory comments making themselves look like irredeemable jackasses and everyone else just has to frown and move on. I heard there's a lot of police stations hiring so if you need some extra income...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Of course, plus, it is quite immature for older people to throw a tantrum at older ages. People who do that may not care what others think when they do that, but it will hurt their image more than they may realize. What is so good about throwing a tantrum at the age of, say, 20, even if it is their business? Just because it may be their business, people won't just leave them alone. Plus, throwing a tantrum over Geno will affect our image altogether in the eyes of those outside this thread.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There is a mod here, mentioned days earlier that he/she has a connection in the industry and mentioned that the massive leak that Nintendo has had this year (with the recent one being the "L is real", and former being the source code for Super Mario 64 month earlier as a TLDR)... Nintendo apparently knows who leaked it, and is going to send a massive C&D, but they suspect that said person had an assistant in it all so everyone high and low is getting investigated.

Did you miss the part where you have no proof that the investigations have "stopped their entire machinery"? I don't see how a leak of decades-old content has an impact on the development of Smash DLC or the next Zelda game. Even if it did, amazing to note that Sony and Microsoft haven't had to deal with internal leaks like that either. As I said before, it's Nintendo being incompetent with their resources.
Well, concidering how big and important that leak has been, it should be an easy pill to swallow that they focusing on the leak... These leaks aren´t exactly only screenshots on an upcoming game. If they have someone that is able to leak their source code of a game even if it is older... What stops him/her to do it again with a Gamecube game, Wii game, or dare I say Switch game if they lower their guard? Have their source codes secured are more important for a company then what you realize.. Pausing 2020, might be a temporary loss (that Nintendo can take without any issues), but fixing the leak and upgrade it is a benefit in the long run.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Except no one in here is throwing tantrums. Thanks for your very clearly genuine concern though!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can’t speak for everyone else (though I have faith most of us can handle it), but believe me, I’m not gonna throw a tantrum. I’d be disappointed and maybe a bit sad at most, just like when Hero was revealed and I stopped expecting Banjo & Kazooie until near the end of E3 for some reason.

I’m not someone who demands something and cries about it if it doesn’t happen, even if I wish it did and (in certain situations) may do my best to give constructive criticism and suggestions to devs.

Tbh I really don’t think people should be bothered for just the possibility of throwing a tantrum until they actually throw a tantrum and it opens up the possibility for a learning experience. I know some people did something similar during the bird image thing but I think the thread has gotten better.
If you are not going to throw a tantrum, as well as other who have said that, good. But that doesn't mean everyone won't do that. Being overconfident can lead to disappointed and anger, and sometimes, it might not be seen until it is too late. And like I said about how others view us a could posts back.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Damn, bro. It's a real tragedy that people get on the internet and post inflammatory comments making themselves look like irredeemable jackasses and everyone else just has to frown and move on. I heard there's a lot of police stations hiring so if you need some extra income...
Sorry dude bro already work there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Except no one in here is throwing tantrums. Thanks for your very clearly genuine concern though!
Correction, we are not throwing tantrums now. Wait until the time comes for whoever may be revealed as Fighter 7 or 8, and how we might react if it isn't Geno.

And yeah, we are concerned.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Uh oh bros, looks like we got too confident again. We have been issued an automatic "hype responsibly warning". 4 more of those within the next 30 days and we'll be forced to write a 15 page essay on why Geno is actually terrible and never getting in Smash.
1596483271839.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I remember my uncle put it best when I was at his 40th birthday party when I was a preteen. He was sitting in a lawn chair, eating probably the best goddamned barbeque salmon I ever had in my life, already had probably 4-5 beers in his guts, and set his plate down to light up. The man looked like he was in total bliss and then I began to chastise him for smoking and drinking. Squinting at me, he leaned back in his chair and then asked me a question I'll never forget. "Do you know what the grand prize for being a wet blanket is? ... Dying alone." He then took a deep inhale, raised his eyebrows as if to say "you know I'm right" and then went right back to enjoying his party. Obviously, this has been my standpoint for not only Geno but Smash in general for Ultimate because during a global pandemic and global depression, people shouldn't have to EXPLAIN THEMSELVES in painstaking detail why they're optimistic or happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom