• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
At a certain point we need to stop making excuses for why Nintendo won't have a direct. Sony and Microsoft have been pumping out quality video content every other week so at this point it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to be "waiting for them to be done" because it's just looking worse and worse for them.
Dude, I've been screaming this same thing for a while now. Nintendo keeps spewing excuses for why they've been delayed, blaming COVID and who knows what else, yet their competition lives in the same world they do and don't seem to have any qualms about churning out content. My only conclusion is that Nintendo is bone dry and they've been doing everything they can to downplay it. I still think that they did an Irish jig when E3 got cancelled because they were probably sweating bullets trying to figure out how they were going to fluff their way through it. It's kinda sad to see the management of such a large company flop like a bunch of fish beside their competitors.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
At a certain point we need to stop making excuses for why Nintendo won't have a direct. Sony and Microsoft have been pumping out quality video content every other week so at this point it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to be "waiting for them to be done" because it's just looking worse and worse for them.
Like I said, Nintendo is just going to ride out this year save DLC and ports. It's going to be tough to convince me otherwise

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they take this stuff into account. Remember they revealed the Switch same say as RDR2.
The presentation disappointingly will not have any notable next-gen news, it's mainly PS4 stuff.
Maybe? I don't know if Nintendo cares much about that level of interference though. I mean, E3 exists. And they also have been known to release games on the same day as major releases for competition (even other consoles)
I doubt it, especially with Sony outright saying it has nothing to do with the PS5. It also sounds like it's mostly going to be an update on previously announced games so, if anything, Nintendo probably would want to do a presentation on the same day for the sake of an "easy win."
Why would it exactly? I don't see how a Sony presentation would stop Nintendo from getting their supposed directs/presentations out there
You guys are likely right, I’ve just been so burnt out by the lack of first party news that I’ve become pretty pessimistic about any Direct rumors. If these rumors come true though then I will be very happy, but I’m just very cautious right now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Either or, honestly. I could see the double presentation week panning out but it really doesn't have to. There was already a ton of smoke on Thursday as this post shows:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3117#post-24037563

As Matt reminded us, the big ass online updates are today too so we had seven coincidences before the weekend even began. From there, even more got added to the pile:

-King Zell's hints.

-Shinobi making a rare appearance for a cryptic tease.

-No More Heroes 1 and 3 ratings leaked over the weekend.

-Apparently the Smash site went down for a notable amount of time last night.

-10 brand new Amiibo slots appearing on the official Amiibo site as of last night:

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/

-Not sure if it's really a sign but a lot of people have pointed out that the official NoA Twitter has been ****posting pretty hard since Wednesday.

So... Yeah... Lots of smoke so expecting something to happen this week is not at all odd.
On their own, they don't mean much, but all of this together is eyebrow raising

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Either or, honestly. I could see the double presentation week panning out but it really doesn't have to. There was already a ton of smoke on Thursday as this post shows:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3117#post-24037563

As Matt reminded us, the big ass online updates are today too so we had seven coincidences before the weekend even began. From there, even more got added to the pile:

-King Zell's hints.

-10 brand new Amiibo slots appearing on the official Amiibo site as of last night:

-Not sure if it's really a sign but a lot of people have pointed out that the official NoA Twitter has been ****posting pretty hard since Wednesday.

So... Yeah... Lots of smoke so expecting something to happen this week is not at all odd.
Well, I didn’t say we wouldn’t get a General Direct soon or this week, did I? Whatever happens, maybe we will get a General Direct this week, or a Mini, since it IS too soon to say it is not happening. Safe to say though that nothing’s happening today.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
For the record, this Sony event has been rumored for a couple weeks, it's 40 minutes but focused exclusively on third parties. For someone like Sony that really isn't too big of a deal since that means almost anything could show up and Sony relies more on bigger third parties than Nintendo anyway. I can't see Nintendo doing something the same day presentation wise.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Let me do you all a favor and let you in on the other dates HGV has heard:

8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7
8/10, 8/11, 8/12, 8/13, 8/14
8/17, 8/18, 8/19, 8/20, 8/21
8/24, 8/25, 8/26, 8/27, 8/28
8/31

Her sources are 50/50 on each and every one of these dates. Subject to change.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
At this point "leakers" are just constantly throwing out dates and if a direct happens to actually appear they get to look super credible until the next 30 dates they throw out wrong and we move on to the next "leaker".

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Dude, I've been screaming this same thing for a while now. Nintendo keeps spewing excuses for why they've been delayed, blaming COVID and who knows what else, yet their competition lives in the same world they do and don't seem to have any qualms about churning out content. My only conclusion is that Nintendo is bone dry and they've been doing everything they can to downplay it. I still think that they did an Irish jig when E3 got cancelled because they were probably sweating bullets trying to figure out how they were going to fluff their way through it. It's kinda sad to see the management of such a large company flop like a bunch of fish beside their competitors.
Excuses? Since when have they've been making out excuses? Everyone has been affected differently by the virus y'know, why even make excuses around this?

Especially considering they directly acknowledged the pandemic twice in the past directs, meanwhile Sony and Microsoft have never mentioned it at all in their respective presentations. That to me tells me they've taken a bigger hit from the pandemic than the latter too have.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

-King Zell's hints.

Wait, what did Shinobi tease? All I saw was him teasing a Legacy Xbox IP

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One of my confidants saw my earlier post about the Smash website last night and apparently him and one of his friends documented what all went down. I slept through it so I only heard about a little when my cats woke up me up because the ****heads decided 3am was breakfast time today. He mentioned I suck at censoring things so I'll just copy and paste and call him and his friend Sherlock and Watson:

Sherlock: "Good morning fatman. I didn't tell you this since i thought you would be told or notice it but when the smash website glitched it wasn't just not loading for some people but it was loading for some like me and Watson. When we got in there the banner was glitching, the question marks on unrevealed characters were gone. The fighters tab was completely inaccessible unless i used a direct link. Icons on the fighters page weren't loading. Display by series was glitching out for me and Watson."

"The "super mario" part wasn't loading for me lmao. For Watson it was donkey kong, zelda and star fox. The link to the smash website from nintendo's official website just wasn't even there."

"When you attempt to see the smash site from nintendo's website (last night):

unknown-4.png
"

"It was like this from the EU and US sites as well for those who could get in. In my case i couldn't even ****ing click the fighters tab. For Watson the banner was mass glitching and duplicating (like when a new character is added). For me a part of the banner was missing (the ****ing part to the left of mario)."

(Screenshot that was shared online last night of said glitch)

2020-08-03_5.png

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I see we have more rumored dates for a "direct".
I'm sure unlike the last 30 times these rumors have turned out to be nothing burgers, this burger will definitely have something in it!

MattX20

Smash Hero
One of my confidants saw my earlier post about the Smash website last night and apparently him and one of his friends documented what all went down. I slept through it so I only heard about a little when my cats woke up me up because the ****heads decided 3am was breakfast time today. He mentioned I suck at censoring things so I'll just copy and paste and call him and his friend Sherlock and Watson:

Sherlock: "Good morning fatman. I didn't tell you this since i thought you would be told or notice it but when the smash website glitched it wasn't just not loading for some people but it was loading for some like me and Watson. When we got in there the banner was glitching, the question marks on unrevealed characters were gone. The fighters tab was completely inaccessible unless i used a direct link. Icons on the fighters page weren't loading. Display by series was glitching out for me and Watson."

"The "super mario" part wasn't loading for me lmao. For Watson it was donkey kong, zelda and star fox. The link to the smash website from nintendo's official website just wasn't even there."

View attachment 281102"

"It was like this from the EU and US sites as well for those who could get in. In my case i couldn't even ****ing click the fighters tab. For Watson the banner was mass glitching and duplicating (like when a new character is added). For me a part of the banner was missing (the ****ing part to the left of mario)."

View attachment 281103
So it's not unreasonable to assume this period was maintenance for the site?

pinshadow

Smash Lord

View attachment 281102"

View attachment 281103
Yep, sure sounds like site maintenance to me, at the very least I can confirm more or less the same thing happened about a week before Terry released last year.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yep, sure sounds like site maintenance to me, at the very least I can confirm more or less the same thing happened about a week before Terry released last year.
I think I remember that as well along with Nintendo of Spain leaking FP4 was going to be from SNK

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I fear most is that if Geno is on the FP, he could be any of the FIVE upcoming fighters. So if we're that unlucky, we may not get a Geno reveal until 2021, if we're that lucky to begin with. I think that's what is making me more antsy for news than anything.

D

Deleted member

What I fear most is that if Geno is on the FP, he could be any of the FIVE upcoming fighters. So if we're that unlucky, we may not get a Geno reveal until 2021, if we're that lucky to begin with. I think that's what is making me more antsy for news than anything.
I really don’t wanna wait for Geno being revealed in 2021 myself. But as long Geno is in, that’s good enough for me. If someone came out leaking Geno, can’t say it’s not Nintendo’s fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
We have waited around 24 years to see Geno return playable in some form, we can wait for him to be playable to whenever the last FP2 character is released

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So it's not unreasonable to assume this period was maintenance for the site?
Not at all. Last time the site glitched up this much was before they added Hero and Banjo. Based on everything Sherlock and Watson noticed, the following are probably fair conclusions to make:

-We're likely to soon be getting a newcomer from one, possibly more, preexisting series as many of the individual series pages were apparently under maintenance last night.

-The Smash banner will probably be updated with at least two characters fairly soon given the notable size of the glitch on the banner.

-Given how hard the fighter page flat out glitched out, at least one new series being added soon is a reasonable expectation too.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

View attachment 281102"

View attachment 281103
Honestly, its weird that they are doing ANY work on the site at times not connected to a publically known character release or reveal date. They went 5 months without updating the site between Byleth and Min Min, not even to remove the new tag, but barely a month after Min Min they removed the new tag and the site glitches out.

Since its not used for daily updates anymore, its odd that things would change on the site if there's nothing planned at the time to update.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not at all. Last time the site glitched up this much was before they added Hero and Banjo. Based on everything Sherlock and Watson noticed, the following are probably fair conclusions to make:

-We're likely to soon be getting a newcomer from one, possibly more, preexisting series as many of the individual series pages were apparently under maintenance last night.

-The Smash banner will probably be updated with at least two characters fairly soon given the notable size of the glitch on the banner.

-Given how hard the fighter page flat out glitched out, at least one new series being added soon is a reasonable expectation too.
So, if it holds up, FP7 and FP8 are on the near horizon

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
The same thing happened pre-Hero and Banjo? I don’t recall that, I assumed it to only be a simple maintenance of the website

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Not at all. Last time the site glitched up this much was before they added Hero and Banjo.
So, if it holds up, FP7 and FP8 are on the near horizon
Do we know specifically how long before Hero and Banjo did the site glitch out? A week? Two weeks? A day?

Things are starting to really build up to a Smash reveal coming soon. All that's missing now is a date...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The same thing happened pre-Hero and Banjo? I don’t recall that, I assumed it to only be a simple maintenance of the website
It wasn't 1:1 but the site glitched up a decent amount. Last night was actually significantly worse in comparison but, up to this point, the worst glitches on the site came shortly before Hero and Banjo. This definitely puts things in perspective.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
After such a long journey, records of the Geno gospel according to Saint Fatmanonice shall go on throughout history depicting this man of faith's arduous journey; enlightening the sheep with the holy theorycrafts and unbending will.

Fatmanonice B.G. (Before Geno)

Fatmanonice A.G. (After Geno)

Jesting aside, I've come to reflect that the reasons I want for Geno to make it into the roster are actually not for personal desire, but for the joy of others.
  • For all the Geno fans that have rooted for the character to one day join Smash as a full-fledged playable fighter.
  • For Fatmanonice who among the Geno supporters, many years ago he went the extra mile of actually going to Japan and leaving at Nintendo HQ what could be considered the will of the Geno fanbase humbly requesting his inclusion.
  • For the SMRPG speedrunners (LackAttack, Pidgezero, Justincredible, etc.) who as connoisseurs of all the frames and tricks within this classic game, they too would be overjoyed with such an announcement.
  • For BestGuyEver to create his masterpiece on Geno's inclusion to the Smash roster.
  • For Terminal Montage's magnum opus animation on (you guessed it) "Something about Geno in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" .

Firox

Smash Master
Excuses? Since when have they've been making out excuses? Everyone has been affected differently by the virus y'know, why even make excuses around this?

Especially considering they directly acknowledged the pandemic twice in the past directs, meanwhile Sony and Microsoft have never mentioned it at all in their respective presentations. That to me tells me they've taken a bigger hit from the pandemic than the latter too have.
Last time I checked, Sony was a Japanese-based company just like Nintendo. Microsoft is an American one. You know, United States of America? As in one of the most socially and economically impacted countries of the pandemic in the entire world? So two other companies are in a similar geographic and social position as Nintendo, yet still churn out content without complaint while Nintendo makes sure to cite COVID for each (and likely every upcoming) pathetic excuse for a direct. Sounds like an excuse to me. If they've inexplicably been hit harder, it would most likely be the fault of their own mismanagement of resources and even then their marketing team is dropping the ball hard. The FACT of the matter is that Nintendo's got seemingly nothing left in the tank for 2020 with the exception of (hopefully) some Smash DLC and maybe a last minute nugget for the holidays which we've yet to see. If they had any meaningful ammo, we would have seen it by now. I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong but it doesn't seem like that'll be happening any time soon.

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
It wasn't 1:1 but the site glitched up a decent amount. Last night was actually significantly worse in comparison but, up to this point, the worst glitches on the site came shortly before Hero and Banjo. This definitely puts things in perspective.
That’s pretty interesting then. Considering the pandemic as well it’s likely more difficult for them to seamlessly run it 24/7

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now, if there is a direct/direct mini this week and not a partner showcase, expect the earliest to be Wednesday for it to air and Thursday at the latest

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Read up a bit, and most of the messages I'd want to quote are so far back now that I can't find them. I, instead, won't be quoting any messages.

Building an echo chamber is never a good idea. Dismissing anyone who doesn't believe Geno is a lock as hate isn't smart. I would love to see Geno included, I could write multiple essays on the topic of him specifically, but I know that it is always healthy to stay skeptical. That's something I've never seen from this community in the almost decade I've followed it, good health. Geno's chances are looking good, but they aren't looking infallible. This isn't Ken, there will never be another Ken. How many of you are prepared to accept this as another set of coincidences akin to Isaac or Shadow? Just remember to have fun and stay a healthy community!

Boshi for Fighter's Pass 2! :ultpacman:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Read up a bit, and most of the messages I'd want to quote are so far back now that I can't find them. I, instead, won't be quoting any messages.

Building an echo chamber is never a good idea. Dismissing anyone who doesn't believe Geno is a lock as hate isn't smart. I would love to see Geno included, I could write multiple essays on the topic of him specifically, but I know that it is always healthy to stay skeptical. That's something I've never seen from this community in the almost decade I've followed it, good health. Geno's chances are looking good, but they aren't looking infallible. This isn't Ken, there will never be another Ken. How many of you are prepared to accept this as another set of coincidences akin to Isaac or Shadow? Just remember to have fun and stay a healthy community!

None of us here believe that Geno is a lock, we just think he's fairly likely given all that has transpired over the past year or so of DLC

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Agreed. Evidence can only do so much, and may turn out to be there for other reasons other than pointing to Geno. It is not healthy to expect with 100 percent certainty, especially when you do not know for sure at all. I want Geno, but I would not call him a lock. In fact, I can see why he could not be FP7a nd FP8. Don't get your hopes up too high just to get possibly disappointed, guys. Trust me and Supirorguy. It's not mentally healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom