• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Man I’m not an Xbox guy at all, but I would kill for new Banjo content. Hopefully whatever is coming, Microsoft would be nice enough to allow it to come out on the Switch
I kind of disagree. I'm certainly not against a new Banjo game, but I don't think it'll be the same at all. As you likely know, the Rare team that worked on the original Banjo games are gone.

If it were up to me personally, I'd say let the series rest how it is, it concluded phenomenally if you don't think about Nuts & Bolts. The only company I really trust with making a 3D platformer at Banjo-Kazooie standards is Nintendo. Unless the new Banjo content are remakes in the fashion of the Crash and Spyro remakes, I can't help but feel we would get an underwhelming/average platforming game, nothing amazing.

But then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to reviving old franchises, not just because they can be seen as money-grabbing nostalgia, but because it can be like beating a dead horse if they don't do it right. I'm not trying to crush your spirit, don't get me wrong, I just don't know how I personally feel about new Banjo content.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Beno from Buper Bario RBG will greet us on the other side of this wild train, I just know it. When that'll be? Probably weeks, months, or until we all start chuggin' towards the next big speculative date!

I see Shinobi is back(?)... that could be interesting. Also, can we give it up for an entire year (almost) without a general direct? WOOOooo.... oh.
1596322121425.png

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Call it optimism from playing Hat in Time and the Spyro remake, but I'm feeling more optimistic about the development of 3D platformers (even outside Nintendo) these days. I think there's a whole series of people within gaming development who were fans of that genre and know what worked about it, and more importantly what didn't. Even as hit and miss as Yooka Laylee was, I do think it was good that it came out because you can pick through and examine the genuine strengths it has even when surrounded by a fairly flawed hub/world design.

And especially as someone who's seen how the 2D platformer has blossomed on the indy scene in the past 10 years, I think we're overdue for applying those kind of fresh ideas to the third dimension. Hat in Time alone demonstrated the strength of a versatile moveset combined with great movement, and I can so easily see a Banjo/Kazooie title applying the same aspects, especially if Rare was given a real budget.

Heck Super Mario Odyssey is in many ways more of a successor to B/K in its core design than Mario 64, and while that was made by Nintendo who are experts at this sort of thing, the fact that one of the most critically praised Mario titles of the last 9 years feels so inspired by a title made in 1998 speaks to how much one can do still do with that structure.

Last edited:

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around here for about a year now (only had the account for 8 months though) and I've finally worked up the courage to join the discussions. I might be active at weird times due to my timezone but I'm very excited to partake in some fun Geno speculation and discussion. Regardless of that though, I really do believe (like many others here) that Geno has a great chance of coming in these coming months and I'm eagerly waiting to see what the future holds.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around here for about a year now (only had the account for 8 months though) and I've finally worked up the courage to join the discussions. I might be active at weird times due to my timezone but I'm very excited to partake in some fun Geno speculation and discussion. Regardless of that though, I really do believe (like many others here) that Geno has a great chance of coming in these coming months and I'm eagerly waiting to see what the future holds.
Welcome to the thread

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I kind of disagree. I'm certainly not against a new Banjo game, but I don't think it'll be the same at all. As you likely know, the Rare team that worked on the original Banjo games are gone.

If it were up to me personally, I'd say let the series rest how it is, it concluded phenomenally if you don't think about Nuts & Bolts. The only company I really trust with making a 3D platformer at Banjo-Kazooie standards is Nintendo. Unless the new Banjo content are remakes in the fashion of the Crash and Spyro remakes, I can't help but feel we would get an underwhelming/average platforming game, nothing amazing.

But then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to reviving old franchises, not just because they can be seen as money-grabbing nostalgia, but because it can be like beating a dead horse if they don't do it right. I'm not trying to crush your spirit, don't get me wrong, I just don't know how I personally feel about new Banjo content.
Watch Microsoft announcing it, and it is done by Playtonic... That would be quite ironic

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey everyone,

Welcome to the thread! Here, have a Geno Hat!
Hat time.png

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hey everyone,

Always great to see new people join the thread, especially during these long periods of time when Nintendo likes to sit on their hands and not announce what they're up to. Welcome DeltaCrow!

(I also like your Gliscor profile picture, his design is great. One of my favorite Pokémon!)

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we'll ever see a 3D platformer revival on the scale of what we saw with 2D platformers.

3D platformers are a massive undertaking, especially if you want to make a good one. 3D level design requires way more planning, you can't really just casually draw a Super Mario 64 level on a piece of paper. There's much more modeling and lighting effects that have to be put in. The camera is WAY tougher to nail down, as are the controls. And each level takes way longer to make, so you have to decide between having a shorter game or having a padded game unless you've got Mario Odyssey's budget, and most do not.

Not to say 2D platformers take no effort, but it's much simpler. Heck, I made a 2D platformer for my programming class. In comparison to 3D platformers, 2D ones are just a lot more economical and the end results of a low budget 2D platformer are much more polished than that of a low budget 3D platformer. This is why up to the point the revival has mostly been remakes. I do hope we get more, but besides Odyssey and A Hat in Time, we still don't have that many good, original, modern 3D platformers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
3D platformers were definitely a product of their time but if you guys really want to talk about something that's had a renaissance recently it's 2D RPGs. It's kind of ironic because back when I was a kid, lengthy RPGs were niche as all hell but now it's kind of become the go to for what gamers want in games.

1995: "A 50 hour game to 100%? Gross... Who has the time?"

2020: "A 100 hour storymode? Sign me the **** up!"

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Its finally done everybody! This animatic shares all my memories of being a Geno Supporter over the past 13 years of speculation and I am glad to share this with you guys. We may be in a news drought for a bit longer but I can wait a little more as long as I endure with you guys by my side. So let's keep supporting the character and get our wish granted. Enjoy Geno bros!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
And here is the biggest ballot ever made with 22,000 votes in which Geno is 8th: https://twitter.com/BallotMan/status/1289713592934133760?s=20
Look, as someone who has TF2 as literally my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and who has Heavy as his ultimate dark-horse candidate, this is a load of ****. Heavy is Number 1 by 1198 votes? Really? I'm not even disproving of the other results, polls will differ, but come on. Even in the last giant poll done by Source Gaming he was 24th with 254 votes. I've seen this poll get spread to places like r/tf2, what this is is a relatively outside dedicated fanbase coming together to swing a poll in their favor.

EDIT: Apparently the account used to be a Demoman for Smash account, MAYBE the fact that a lot of the people who were following this account beforehand were obviously TF2 fans might have swung the results in that direction based on who they would have shared it to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Apparently the Twitter account used to be TF2-themed.

So now there are people that seriously think Heavy is a great character pick... We've come a long way from Cloud being a meme.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Look, as someone who has TF2 as literally my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and who has Heavy as his ultimate dark-horse candidate, this is a load of ****. Heavy is Number 1 by 1198 votes? Really? I'm not even disproving of the other results, polls will differ, but come on. Even in the last giant poll done by Source Gaming he was 24th with 254 votes. I've seen this poll get spread to places like r/tf2, what this is is a relatively outside dedicated fanbase coming together to swing a poll in their favor.

EDIT: Apparently the account used to be a Demoman for Smash account, MAYBE the fact that a lot of the people who were following this account beforehand were obviously TF2 fans might have swung the results in that direction based on who they would have shared it to. :rolleyes:
Honestly, It’s not even just the fact that Heavy won by nearly 1200 votes. When they posted an update 4 days ago, Heavy was just barely at 1,200 votes in 2nd. And that’s when the votes were around 18k+, when the poll would go on to have 22k+. So 1,800 people voted for Heavy, in the span of four days, which would also equal around HALF of the votes being for Heavy in those four days. It just feels rigged somehow.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I thought Heavy making it to #1 all of a sudden was weird too, but the ballot dude had this to say:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Imo he would be cool, but I don’t care about him as much as a lot of the others tbh; I only played a bit of TF2 back in 2012, I just think the characters are funny and cool.

Steve, Waluigi and Rayman dominated for a good while. I’m happy to see them (don’t care about Rayman much but I think he’s cool too) and Geno in the top 10. Kinda sucks Skull Kid and Porky were low...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Going to edit this, since evidence shows there was literally no rigging or cheesing even.

Somebody just posted it in a bad spot, which were biased for Heavy. Even he found it strange and didn't think it should make sense.

Though it being a previous TF2 twitter surely meant some of the votes were lucky bias spots. But that's not intended by the poll creator.

If it wasn't posted on Reddit by another user, Heavy would still be top 4 anyway, probably right before or after Rayman. Waluigi clearly was going to win normally, with Steve hitting 4th spot easily. It's probably best to look at it as this; Waluigi was the true winner, Rayman/Heavy were practically tied, and Steve took 4th place. The rest looks pretty normal. Which isn't a bad poll at all.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
With how often people question the validity of and move goalposts regarding polls where Geno has done well or even topped I think it’s completely fair to question a poll where Heavy from TF2 came in first lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With how often people question the validity of and move goalposts regarding polls where Geno has done well or even topped I think it’s completely fair to question a poll where Heavy from TF2 came in first lol
Oh look, another quintuple digit participant poll where Geno's in the top ten but, remember guys, literally nobody knows who he is or wants him. :troll:

TheBeastHimself

Really hoping we get some news this month, which it does seem like we will. I'm already sad this month, not to get off topic, but I just finished Avatar the Last Airbender for the first time and I'm so sad I watched it so fast (was definitely tear-bending at the end.)

I haven't played Mario RPG in over two years, I've only played through the game once. I want to play a cute JRPG, I've already played the Mother games to death, I think it might be time I pick this game up again. Will probably lift up my spirits!

TheBeastHimself

I feel like I didn't get enough out of my first playthrough of Mario RPG. At the time I first played it, I was already biased because I played the other Mario RPG games, so I was like "oh this is cool and all, but it's very archaic." I want to replay it and appreciate the game for what it is, without comparing it to other games. Because I really do think it has a lot of charm. The art style is very unique, along with the characters, and the sound effects of all things are iconic.

link2702

Smash Champion

The rare team of old is dead yes. BUT since microsoft owns rare and thus by extension Banjo....

They could simply just not use the current team of rare and go with a different team entirely.

And now this is definitely jsut wishful thinking on my part, but maybe microsoft might strike a deal with nintendo; allow the new banjo game on switch(or all the old banjo games at least) as well as xbox, in return for Nintendo being allowed to work on the game and/or give advice since they still know exactly how to do 3D platformers.

Alternatively they might hire the Yooka-laylee team, who is mostly old rare employees, they'd certainly do a better job than current rare.

Of course this is all wishful thinking on my part. But perhaps seeing banjo's popularity in smash, and games like yooka existing, as well as mario odyssey being such a hit, Microsoft might think its a good time to revive Banjo.

Oh right uh...Geno. Please lets have some Geno news this week.

D

Deleted member

Does anybody else suddenly remembers the Erdrick speculation days and glad those days are over?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Does anybody else suddenly remembers the Erdrick speculation days and glad those days are over?
Those 6 months up to E3 of last year were the worst I ever recall in Smash speculation. Even the dryspell we are going through right now is preferable to that

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, as crazy as this sounds, I actually do think Heavy, a TF2 rep, or a Valve rep in general is a "slept on" pick for Smash. Sure, TF2 isn't on a Nintendo system nor does Nintendo or Valve have really any established relationship, but a Valve rep would easily be one of the best characters to represent PC gaming, along with Gordon Freeman. Valve is the company behind steam and because of them, they have created a massive surge of popularity for PC gaming, and two of the most popular games on Steam is Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. Besides, I feel like a Valve rep would be one of those characters that no one seriously actually thought had much of a chance, but get "wowed" when they see the reveal, kinda like Cloud and Joker, and Sakurai loves going "out of left field" by adding characters we'd never expect to get included in Smash.

Do I think a Valve rep is likely? Not really, but I do think its a slept on pick for characters that could have a chance, and I think a Valve rep could definitely be another contender for a Western company to get a character on the roster.

Firox

Smash Master
And here is the biggest ballot ever made with 22,000 votes in which Geno is 8th: https://twitter.com/BallotMan/status/1289713592934133760?s=20
Yeah, while this poll may look impressive with 22,000 votes, I'm really questioning the legitimacy when Heavy from TF2 is #1. He is obscure as all hell from a general gamer perspective considering that he's only one of many roles from a "hero" shooter that's 13 years old. Don't get me wrong, people could argue Geno is in the same boat, but when you compare the ease and diversity of their potential movesets, it's hardly a contest. To be honest, if this poll is seriously legit then I have some dire concerns as to the taste of the general gaming community. LOL The fact that Goku got voted in the top 50 despite Sakurai saying VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS ONLY is proof that people are dumb as a brick. Sometimes it really is a godsend that Sakurai doesn't listen to the crack-headed masses.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, while this poll may look impressive with 22,000 votes, I'm really questioning the legitimacy when Heavy from TF2 is #1. He is obscure as all hell from a general gamer perspective considering that he's only one of many roles from a "hero" shooter that's 13 years old. Don't get me wrong, people could argue Geno is in the same boat, but when you compare the ease and diversity of their potential movesets, it's hardly a contest. To be honest, if this poll is seriously legit then I have some dire concerns as to the taste of the general gaming community. LOL The fact that Goku got voted in the top 50 despite Sakurai saying VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS ONLY is proof that people are dumb as a brick. Sometimes it really is a godsend that Sakurai doesn't listen to the crack-headed masses.
It’s because the ballot was shared on the TF2 subreddit and got 1k upvotes, so I guess they pushed him to the top within the past few days.

also The Ballot Man said the only character that seemed to get botted was Elma from Xenoblade. Tbh I find any bot votes happening to sound weird, though they could’ve just made multiple emails (it only allowed you one vote).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s because the ballot was shared on the TF2 subreddit and got 1k upvotes, so I guess they pushed him to the top within the past few days.

also The Ballot Man said the only character that seemed to get botted was Elma from Xenoblade. Tbh I find any bot votes happening to sound weird, though they could’ve just made multiple emails (it only allowed you one vote).
It's possible that whoever posted it on the TF2 subreddit had a plan to bot it, but it's not always easy to prove.

And Reddit is hardly a "small" place, so the amount of votes don't even sound that odd entirely. But my guess is the user who did post it there(not Ballot Man) knew they could easily skew it to make Heavy the obvious winner.

Griselda

Smash Lord
The 'Geno is a small character and nobody knows him' thing annoys me every time I see it. Regularly in this thread I see people from several countries that aren't my own, with more sometimes just showing up. ..Which literally means that Geno is known and loved across the world. SMRPG is popular enough to be rereleased many times, almost always makes lists of the top SNES games, and it's on the SNES Classic - and let me reiterate the point I made from a while back. The SNES Classic has its games hard-coded in and under normal circumstances you don't download anything else onto it. As it comes from the store, it doesn't have a variable library.

That means that the decision was made to place SMRPG into every single unit that was ever or ever will be produced, and they made that decision when there were a great many other games that they could've chosen to put into that slot, instead. But they didn't. They chose SMRPG, and though that, they chose Geno. They chose to mass-produce Geno because he and his game aren't just popular, they're very historically important to the RPG genre, especially in the west.

And the whole 'younger generations don't know him, so it doesn't count' thing is dumb, since Nintendo/Square seem to be be actively trying their hardest to ensure that said younger generations do know about SMRPG, considering they've released it again pretty much every home console generation since rereleasing SNES games in a way they can profit from has been possible.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's possible that whoever posted it on the TF2 subreddit had a plan to bot it, but it's not always easy to prove.

And Reddit is hardly a "small" place, so the amount of votes don't even sound that odd entirely. But my guess is the user who did post it there(not Ballot Man) knew they could easily skew it to make Heavy the obvious winner.
Yeah I understand. Tbh I don’t think TF2 is that obscure, either; it may not be talked about very often outside its community from what I’ve seen, but its YouTube videos seem popular. Apparently it has had millions of players, too.

But yeah I’m not surprised Heavy got a lot of votes from the ballot being shared on Reddit. Personally I was only surprised and a bit iffy at first due to him seeming to not be there until recently, when Waluigi, Rayman and Steve were consistently on top, but then I saw what The Ballot Man said.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I understand. Tbh I don’t think TF2 is that obscure, either; it may not be talked about very often outside its community from what I’ve seen, but its YouTube videos seem popular. Apparently it has had millions of players, too.

But yeah I’m not surprised Heavy got a lot of votes from the ballot being shared on Reddit. Personally I was only surprised and a bit iffy at first due to him seeming to not be there until recently, when Waluigi, Rayman and Steve were consistently on top, but then I saw what The Ballot Man said.
There's some arguments that other characters are oddly placed as well, but I think what people forget is "largest poll ever" means he's going to advertise it practically everywhere too. Sony characters? Makes sense, since he's just trying to get opinions.

I feel if a neutral party started the poll on a different twitter, Heavy wouldn't be that high(since it's a TF2 twitter). My guess is Heavy is one of the most requested for Smash, so some are akin to meme-like voting. The ones they think would be a more popular vote, not who they actually want. Of course, there's no denying people want him in Smash too. I'd say it's odd Master Chief is so low, but when you consider that people still think a Nintendo appearance is required(and let's be real, not all will count a partial Minecraft cameo, as it's a costume resembling him, not the character himself being in), it starts to fit. There's also ones who you'd think be a little higher, like Agumon, due to being from a far bigger franchise than some, but then some don't actually know it started as a video game too. Goku is pretty low voted too despite obviously having no real chance.

What people want and think will happen is a big issue. Many ignore rules or try to impose one on themselves for these polls. So to be honest, beyond the subreddit bit, I feel this is a rather authentic poll over all.

Paraster

Smash Lord
There's some arguments that other characters are oddly placed as well, but I think what people forget is "largest poll ever" means he's going to advertise it practically everywhere too. Sony characters? Makes sense, since he's just trying to get opinions.

I feel if a neutral party started the poll on a different twitter, Heavy wouldn't be that high(since it's a TF2 twitter). My guess is Heavy is one of the most requested for Smash, so some are akin to meme-like voting. The ones they think would be a more popular vote, not who they actually want. Of course, there's no denying people want him in Smash too. I'd say it's odd Master Chief is so low, but when you consider that people still think a Nintendo appearance is required(and let's be real, not all will count a partial Minecraft cameo, as it's a costume resembling him, not the character himself being in), it starts to fit. There's also ones who you'd think be a little higher, like Agumon, due to being from a far bigger franchise than some, but then some don't actually know it started as a video game too. Goku is pretty low voted too despite obviously having no real chance.

What people want and think will happen is a big issue. Many ignore rules or try to impose one on themselves for these polls. So to be honest, beyond the subreddit bit, I feel this is a rather authentic poll over all.
It occurred to me that the ballot account has, for a while, been posting "in-progress" results, showing the tally at several different points in time before it closed (is it even closed yet? I'm not clear on that), so it's possible that the vote counts people saw influenced their decisions. Maybe Heavy appeared in the top 20 or so so early that that got people's attention, causing a feedback loop of sorts.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
So tonight at 9 pm there might be a chance of a nother announcement of a direct But I doubt it

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Tonight is the night! Roll on, 12 AM! LETS GET THIS ARC OVER WITH! This Post Mini#1 arc has been nothing but filler! I hope Geno gets the win this chapter but I think we might have to wait for him to achieve full Direct before he can deliver the final blow. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's prophecy seems to still be in play at least. He's had a lot of Character development this arc. I hope this next chapter gives him more to do. Actually, I could easily see him showing up at the end of all this as being Geno all along.

The Nazyrus Nazyrus subplot was interesting but its really calmed down since. I hope he re-enters the story soon!

Can't say I see where Terry fits in to the Geno story. I suspect a red herring here but maybe he'll prove important to him later.

Super excited! The writing for this August storyline has been gold so far. Let's see where all this buildup goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom