• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Even if a General Direct happens soon, will we still get a Smash character announcement? Haven't most of the DLC characters been revealed either at a special event, or during one of Sakurai's own presentations? I think Hero was the only exception but I could be wrong. But hey, with the lack of any Nintendo news, maybe a DLC drop during a direct is a given.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Even if a General Direct happens soon, will we still get a Smash character announcement? Haven't most of the DLC characters been revealed either at a special event, or during one of Sakurai's own presentations? I think Hero was the only exception but I could be wrong. But hey, with the lack of any Nintendo news, maybe a DLC drop during a direct is a given.
If we're getting a General Direct there will definitely be 7 along with it.

Let's see if the predictive models will come true, they seem a bit more likely now.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
"Some already got it right, but keep on guessing.

It makes the life of youtubers/****sites harder"

A list of guesses that were made before the post, one of these is correct :
1) Mini Direct soon
2) 2 Directs in August: Partners first half, general second half.
3) mini direct in august same date as july.
4) TOK-style twitter drop
5) Partner Mini Direct on Monday and General Direct on Thursday

Not sure if the list is complete or not.

He said he doesn't know about a Twitter announcement, which could deconfirm 4.
I've honestly no clue which of these it could be. If I had to take a guess... maybe he means two Directs/presentations in the same week, like with the Min Min and Pokemon Unite presentations? I don't think that's ever happened before (feel free to correct me), so maybe he's saying it's gonna happen again?

vivala

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Terry, regardless of how niche he is or not, I think those of us with fairly limited knowledge of the full scope of gaming franchises need to embrace getting seemingly unknown characters. A big part of the fun of Melee and Brawl (the games that came out in my childhood) was getting to know these characters that I knew absolutely nothing about. 75% of Melee's roster consisted of literally whos to kid me, but it made them almost more exciting. I still remember looking up how to unlock characters, seeing the name Falco, and thinking "His name looks kinda like Captain Falcon's! I wonder if he's his sidekick or something," and then having my mind absolutely blown when this bird man showed up instead. Obviously smash reveals have changed a lot from the days of playing Melee as a kid, but I feel like smash speculation could become a lot more enjoyable if we channel that sort of energy.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
All of the Directs ever since Smash Ultimate released have had a Smash announcement of some kind, even the Mini one in March; IIRC the last one without a reveal proper was one in February last year where they just gave a bit more info on Joker who was already announced, but even then, they mentioned it. So yeah, I don't see this next one (if it happens) missing Smash. Though at this point I wonder if there'd be a Direct proper to begin with. I guess it could be just separate presentations to carry the announcements about.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Though at this point I wonder if there'd be a Direct proper to begin with. I guess it could be just separate presentations to carry the announcements about.
Personally I prefer characters being announced during Directs, they make the presentations a lot more fun on top of the other content Nintendo is revealing. Like, announce a character in a Direct, then have Sakurai go into more detail about the character in a separate presentation right before the character is dropped. It seems like that was always the Nintendo tradition, but that tradition has hit the wayside as of recently.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We need to pay additional attention this weekend for a potential drop on Nintendo's Twitter accounts. They very well could do this again

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It isn't exclusive of Terry, but I agree that such behavior doesn't help anyone in the end. I guess it's like a dead end. Some folks call Terry "literal who", others get pissed and act condescending with the first ones, and so on.

I just think these problems would disappear if the community was a bit more open minded. That doesn't mean you have to like or dislike everything, opinions are opinions and everyone can dislike a character. But it isn't the same to say "well, this character isn't for me, that's disappointing" to go with "it can't be, they have added this literal who instead of my most wanted? what a waste".
The first example is a normal reaction, the second one will only generate drama and toxicity.

My point is, I think this work of being more nice and open minded, and don't attack anyone for their opinions, is something that must be done with...
Sorry, on mobile and deleted a bit more than I meant to.

So to clarify as the 'being condescending' part has apparently been applied to me and I've apparently gone so far that even the king of being condescending himself Mr. @KCCHIEF27 had to judge me on it.

When I see the same conversation come up over and over it irritates me. This talk about Terry was over and done with a month or so after his reveal. Terry is not niche, is an icon, and anyone who calls him a 'literal who' is very limited in their gaming experience. Smash fans have proven to have a massive portion of those who only know about characters they want and the big characters everyone is talking about in speculation and tend to ha e very little knowledge outside of that.

That's it, the discussion has been had and the conclusion was met. Nothing has changed to warrant bringing up Terry in a discussion about niche outside of 'Hey, remember when Smash fans thought Terry was niche and then Sakurai and other fans showed them it was their own interests that were niche? Yeah, good times.'

So when I see people trying to argue or say otherwise going on almost a year later, I don't really care about keeping my irritation in check nearly as much. No sugarcoating, just raw debunking.

That said, when the conversation is fresh and not old or old with a slightly different color of paint, I'm all about it.

Speaking of niche, Geno really does fall under that category strictly due to his lack of appearances. Not gonna stop him from getting in Smash though.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
We need to pay additional attention this weekend for a potential drop on Nintendo's Twitter accounts. They very well could do this again
Last time for the Mini Partner Showcase it was Sunday Midnight ET/ 6:00 AM Monday CEST. (don't think this ever happened before)

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Regarding Terry Bogard, I considered him as a legacy character, rathen than iconic. He caters retro/arcade/lapsed gamer audience, people who played SNK arcades at 90’s (or very early 00’s). I know that people under 20 may not have something nostalgic with Terry. In my case, I played Metal Slug and KOF in arcades when I was a kid, and also bought Fatal Fury for Wii VC, so I was very happy when Terry was announced for Smash. :)

On topic with future Direct dates, maybe they will release a new partner mini direct in these 15 days and a general direct later august or late september.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regarding Terry Bogard, I considered him as a legacy character, rathen than iconic. He caters retro/arcade/lapsed gamer audience, people who played SNK arcades at 90’s (or very early 00’s). I know that people under 20 may not have something nostalgic with Terry. In my case, I played Metal Slug and KOF in arcades when I was a kid, and also bought Fatal Fury for Wii VC, so I was very happy when Terry was announced for Smash. :)

On topic with future Direct dates, maybe they will release a new partner mini direct in these 15 days and a general direct later august or late september.
Fatman's current theorycraft interestingly points to the 3rd and 4th of August potentially holding something, but I'm adopting a wait and see approach to be certain

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
When expectations are so low and, quite frankly, being burnt out with Nintendo, I'm not holding my breath in expecting anything. The excitement for news has faded into a "Let's just get this over with/check off the box" vibe.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Yeah... Guys... Stop waiting for a silver bullet... I remember bemoaning back in JANUARY that Directs have become significantly harder to pin down since my NoA ambassador friend bowed out after the VGAs and VRPlant doesn't allow any of his info to be public because Sabi stole a comically huge amount of it. The days of having insiders deep enough to not only know Direct dates but allow it to be publicly shared are long gone. Like I showed yesterday, presentation predictions have been horribly unreliable for 8 months now so try to piece things together yourselves.
You say this as multiple direct dates have been leaked WEEKS in advance this year, something I can't really recall ever happening. It's the one thing people in the know seem consistent on this year.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, do you recall what the rest of FP2 was listed as? I don't put too much stock into text leaks from any of the chans, but if they had Byleth and Min Min on there, that's enough for me to humor.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Prinny4Smash/status/1217882075300270085

I misspoke, I saw it on Twitter -- not 4chan -- but it DID originate on 2ch on Jan 15th, a day before Byleth's reveal (timestamp is in the screenshot Prinny shares). This person correctly predicted that DLC5 would be a Nintendo character, but that's about all it has going for it. The post seems to suggest FP1 was moved around as well, which kind of makes sense, especially if Byleth was moved forward to cover the space that Hayabusa left behind when he was moved back to a later date.

Think about it: we heard rumors for "Erdrick" (Hero) or just "Square is the 1st DLC" waaaay before Hero actually got released, while Joker was a complete shock not a single leaker predicted. Considering Joker had hardly anything prepped for the VGAs, not even a model, maybe they decided to move him up to the top of the pass to get the hype train rolling and/or throw people off the trail? Sakurai admitted Hero took a lot of dev time as he needed constant balance testing, and hackers found files for Hero and Joker in base game. In other words, Hero was absolutely being worked on early in the DLC, at the very least simultaneously to Joker. Also, we had rumors of Hayabusa getting in FP1 going super far back as well, with some supposed insiders staking their reputations on him being in the game and sticking to their guns even after he wasn't revealed to be DLC at all. He could very well still be coming in FP2; even without leakers throwing weight behind him, he makes a ton of sense if Sakurai chose fighters like Simon, Terry or Banjo to toss into this game. Then we throw in that Min Min was likely delayed from an April release (which would have originally lined her release up with the 3-4 month gaps we had been getting pretty regularly between each DLC fighter, since Byleth was just released in January), the fact we've got pretty solid evidence that DLC7 should have been revealed by now, the Cacomallow leak, and a ton of other things... They easily could have been shuffling things around, with Covid just sort of being a convenient cover for them trying to shake off leakers. I would hazard a strong guess that there were some shenanigans going on behind the scenes with switching up the release of different fighters. You don't even need this supposed "leak" from 2ch to support that particular argument.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I've honestly no clue which of these it could be. If I had to take a guess... maybe he means two Directs/presentations in the same week, like with the Min Min and Pokemon Unite presentations? I don't think that's ever happened before (feel free to correct me), so maybe he's saying it's gonna happen again?
I think he just means a partner direct is coming, and we won't get it announced until midnight the day before. I mean, collective amnesia is a thing and right now that's the most relevant and recent thing MOST readers would be referring back to. "Lightning striking twice" could just mean "you're getting another awfully received little direct soon" IMO

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Thought maybe somebody else would've posted between my two replies :p

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Imagine if Nintendo keeps delaying the Direct by a week each time people leak their old game assets.

Oh god. Then we're never gonna get a Direct again are we?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman's current theorycraft interestingly points to the 3rd and 4th of August potentially holding something, but I'm adopting a wait and see approach to be certain
Well, yes and no. The date my predictive model produced was August 4th but, for the sake of accuracy, predictive models need to have margins of error. You usually have to have a ton of data to produce this so we'll simply things. The predictive models I created for Min Min had the following three dates for being "significant": June 20th, June 23rd, and June 29th. June 22nd was Min Min's reveal and the 29th was her release. Putting this in consideration, the margin of error was basically 2 days, meaning this is the extent the data could be off but still useful. With this in mind, let's just do that...

August 4- 6th if my predictive model for 7's announcement is accurate.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I think we are at the point where I feel like Nintendo is just going to take the rest of the year off, and maybe this new partner showcase series is supposed to hold us over until then.

I had hope for Nintendo to showcase new entries, info, anything, but from the way they're handling everything with distraction attempt memes and things that should've been announced on Twitter...

I'm hoping they get their magic spark back. I miss that whimsical giddyness, and we could all use something at the moment to take ourselves away from the current mess of a world we live in. :luigi64:
(Edit: this sounds way darker than I imagined it, basically, we may have to wait a little bit, and maybe we'll get a big E3 style direct that'll blow us all away!)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, yes and no. The date my predictive model produced was August 4th but, for the sake of accuracy, predictive models need to have margins of error. You usually have to have a ton of data to produce this so we'll simply things. The predictive models I created for Min Min had the following three dates for being "significant": June 20th, June 23rd, and June 29th. June 22nd was Min Min's reveal and the 29th was her release. Putting this in consideration, the margin of error was basically 2 days, meaning this is the extent the data could be off but still useful. With this in mind, let's just do that...

August 4- 6th if my predictive model for 7's announcement is accurate.
Okay, that makes sense

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just took the plunge and bought Origami King, just because as I said before there isn't really anything else. I've literally only just started, but just the opening shots of Toad Town make me wonder what a full 3D remake of SMRPG could be like, with the capacity for dynamic camera angles and cutscenes. I think it could really help sell the moods of many of the game's scenes, if used well.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Even if a General Direct happens soon, will we still get a Smash character announcement? Haven't most of the DLC characters been revealed either at a special event, or during one of Sakurai's own presentations?
*ahem*
1596230285791.png

**AHEM**
1596230244174.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
Every character that has ever been revealed in a general Direct:

Rosalina, Little Mac, Shulk, Lucas, Cloud, Inkling, Isabelle, and Terry.
Some pretty noteworthy names to be sure. If Geno is somehow not "worthy" of being an E3-style reveal, then he's a phenomenal general direct style reveal

QQS

Smash Lord
Hi people, been a little busy with Work from the home, that’s why I have been reading all but interacting a less. What’s has been happening? Any news of Directs or regarding our puppet?

Back on topic, look how I found my Geno doll trying to escape from my room in the middle of the night to join the battle ultimately:

28881A72-00FB-4E97-A5F9-53A1A5D6E36E.jpeg

I told him if’s everything is okay. He turn around and told me:

29F4E4CD-932A-450D-9F7D-96F3DA60235B.jpeg

“My time hidden is coming to an end. I must serve a higher demand after 24 years”

Best wishes from Chile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom