• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Current mood music (bright and swirly/wavy color warning, might not wanna look if you're sensitive)
Just give me Geno. Isn't that something that's possible? If it's something that's possible, then give him to me. If it's something that isn't possible, then say so.

D

Deleted member

They wouldn't have released a Partner Direct only to release another one a mere few weeks later. It costs money to have someone compile this ****, translate it, and do the voice over for it. They would have held off on the Partner Direct if there was information to be had for it. If we get another one early in August, or even in August at all, I will be very surprised.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is Cuphead's trailer for the PS4 and it is out now. I will warn you about how the characters are present in this trailer's style.

Firox

Smash Master
And I'm serious about doing something like creating our own indie game or something to that effect let's do that!
Wait a tick! You might be on to something there. You know how game developers are often tone deaf and never seem to continue fan-demanded projects until fans just make them themselves? What if we made our own knock-off SMRPG 2? Obviously, you'd have to make it generic enough that Nintendo and SE don't sue over it, but if it were similar enough for them to realize what we're trying to emulate? They might follow up with something real. It worked for Mighty Number 9 and Megaman 11. And didn't Yuuka-Laylee manage to spark something toward reviving 3D platformers? I'd be willing to crowd fund something if it could ram a boot up Nintendo/SE's rectum enough to spark some SMRPG attention.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hmm. looks like you need some clarification here. Bakugan is not only obscure nowadays, but it was originally planned to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan videogames were planned before the tabletop game and anime. While the anime and tabletop games were released first, they were soley used to promote the Bakugan videogames. So, thus Bakugan is a videogame franchise because it was intended to debut as a videogame.
Alright then.

If you plan on making a big discussion about it, though, I recommend doing so outside this thread. Personally, I’d only expect spirits of Bakugan characters if anything.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Alright then.

If you plan on making a big discussion about it, though, I recommend doing so outside this thread. Personally, I’d only expect spirits of Bakugan characters if anything.
You are correct! Bakugan is a videogame franchise, so we can still get Bakugan content in Smash. However, it's an obscure franchise since the mid-2010s, so I would just want Dragonoid as a spirit. I will mention more discussion about it in a different thread.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, we don't need a general direct for Smash Bros news/confirmations. Sakurai could easily have FP7's presentation all recorded and edited and ready to go.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

What the last year has felt like. I imagine staring at this long enough would actually drive you mad. The world has nothing to do, nothing to look forward to in the short-term (or even long-term, really). Animal Crossing sold a gizbillion copies because people were cooped up all day. The amount of money they're squandering if they truly do have a bunch of things sitting on that are near-release is insane

if you're like me and you need to see this gif end

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Again, we don't need a general direct for Smash Bros news/confirmations. Sakurai could easily have FP7's presentation all recorded and edited and ready to go.
Glad someone finally said it. A whole reveal and explanation for Geno, all dedicated to the star warrior himself

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Which they've only ever done when the character is either releasing the same day or a week or two later. And like we've been over so many times, the next character is very likely releasing in September. It feels like people are grasping at straws at this point to try and justify Nintendo not waiting until September because it's not what they want. Are we getting another Partner Showcase in August? Almost certainly. Is Nintendo going to drop a game or two on twitter for release in September? Probably. But should we be getting our hopes up for some kind of massive event in August? No, I really don't think we should.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

I'm sure this has been linked at some point but there's over 3k pages to go through. I saw this video and the custom level based on the fight against Bowser in the beginning of the game would be amazing!

I hope that we get something like this that comes with Geno. Even better if somehow it's tourney legal so we get to see a lot more of it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Which is precisely why that won't happen, because Nintendo has proven themselves to be hilariously inept

Those Sakurai presents only happen very close to launch and all signs point to that being in September.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Do you think Geno is only coming with Smithy and Mallow costumes, since we haven't really heard about anything else? I wouldn't complain about those two, of course, but there's so much more that they could pull from SMRPG that'd be perfect for that.
Here is how I picture what Geno's Mii costume selection will look like in his pack:

Mallow
Smithy
Geno
Chocobo
2B
Sephiroth or Crono

I'm damn sure the first 5 will be there.

Oldhead

Smash Rookie
We need to stop asking "What's Nintendos 2020 lineup???" When we should be asking "What's Nintendo's 2021 lineup?"

At this point I'm accepting the fact that the drip feed we got this year is what's going to hold us until next year. Even if HotGirl is right and August 3rd winds up being another crappy Partners Direct and they DO maybe talk about No More Heroes or Bayo 3, odds are they're shunted to 2021 as well.

At most we can hope for the Mario Collection (if it even exists) 3D World Deluxe, and maybe one Smash reveal

Hope you ain't bored of Animal Crossing yet
Yeah, definitely this. Nintendo is also kicking off a huge ad campaign (I've seen it all over YouTube and TV), and it seems their big push for Holiday 2020 is...hardware. All of these ads highlight the actual consoles, with a focus on the Switch Lite. Existing games like Animal Crossing, BOTW, and Mario Maker are featured, and it's all very much tailored to millennial/Gen X parents who want to play nostalgic games with their kids. It feels like the strategy for the rest of the year is to Just Sell Systems, which after the buzz surrounding Animal Crossing and the general strong track record of the Switch so far kind of makes sense. I think if the Mario Collection is coming in 2020 then that lines up with this strategy pretty well, as it's more nostalgia that they can use to pull in casual gamers.

I get it, anyone who spends their time on a gaming message board is definitely not a "casual gamer", so this strategy feels crazy to all of us here. But Animal Crossing is legitimately huge with an unheard of tail/staying power, and if they can sell a system to someone who is only going to get a couple of first-part games, that feels like an obtainable strategy for Nintendo, especially in the year of Covid where completing projects from home makes things a lot more difficult.

Smash is arguably their least "casual" franchise, at least how the fans see it, and revealing more fighters probably doesn't really get them that much closer to selling more Switches. We may be in for a long winter, folks...

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Here is Cuphead's trailer for the PS4 and it is out now. I will warn you about how the characters are present in this trailer's style.
That's what the mii outfit should have looked like

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Yeah, definitely this. Nintendo is also kicking off a huge ad campaign (I've seen it all over YouTube and TV), and it seems their big push for Holiday 2020 is...hardware. All of these ads highlight the actual consoles, with a focus on the Switch Lite. Existing games like Animal Crossing, BOTW, and Mario Maker are featured, and it's all very much tailored to millennial/Gen X parents who want to play nostalgic games with their kids. It feels like the strategy for the rest of the year is to Just Sell Systems, which after the buzz surrounding Animal Crossing and the general strong track record of the Switch so far kind of makes sense. I think if the Mario Collection is coming in 2020 then that lines up with this strategy pretty well, as it's more nostalgia that they can use to pull in casual gamers.

I get it, anyone who spends their time on a gaming message board is definitely not a "casual gamer", so this strategy feels crazy to all of us here. But Animal Crossing is legitimately huge with an unheard of tail/staying power, and if they can sell a system to someone who is only going to get a couple of first-part games, that feels like an obtainable strategy for Nintendo, especially in the year of Covid where completing projects from home makes things a lot more difficult.

Smash Ultimate is arguably their least "casual" franchise, at least how the fans see it, and revealing more fighters probably doesn't really get them that much closer to selling more Switches. We may be in for a long winter, folks...
Smash is literally the best selling fighting game of all time dude. It's the second best selling game on the entire system aside from Mario Kart. It most certainly isn't niche and has a massive casual install base as well. We are getting Smash stuff, no doubt, it's about the last thing I'm worried about Nintendo wise.

This idea that Nintendo has no games for the rest of the year, that they are just going to rely on a price-cut and their existing library is fair enough but they still have to have something. Mario Collection, Pikmin 3, 3D World, that's a solid Holiday Line-up obviously combined with Pokemon, Smash, and Animal Crossing DLC/Updates. But it also has nothing really NEW. I can't see Nintendo relying on just ports and updates for the rest of 2020, they have to have SOMETHING.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
After Today, i’m not counting on August to bring the goods at all. We’ll get another partner mini, it will be garbage as usual, and all eyes will be on september

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At this time I'm just going to wait to see what the week of the 3rd brings. Given, well, everything right now, do we really need more NintenDOOMED before we even know next week isn't bringing anything noteworthy?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let me ask you a question guys: Would you speculate with each other until FP2's fighters all get release or would you whether know who they all are now even if we don't see the last character until December of next year? Personally, as fun as it has been here speculating with you guys, I would like to know now so I can get off this crazy ride. It's been fun, but I've lost my patience and I'm ready for this game to end.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this time I'm just going to wait to see what the week of the 3rd brings. Given, well, everything right now, do we really need more NintenDOOMED before we even know next week isn't bringing anything noteworthy?
No we do not. It's not something we need right now frankly. I'm trying to remain optimistic about Geno's chances and August would still make sense to reveal FP7 if Geno's slated for a September release.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Let me ask you a question guys: Would you speculate with each other until FP2's fighters all get release or would you whether know who they all are now even if we don't see the last character until December of next year? Personally, as fun as it has been here speculating with you guys, I would like to know now so I can get off this crazy ride. It's been fun, but I've lost my patience and I'm ready for this game to end.
I mean, Smash Speculation has been a barren wasteland for half a year after everything blew up with Byleth. There's just nothing to talk about. We have basically nothing to go off of outside of rumors since Nintendo isn't revealing characters or anything for that matter. What we really need at this point is more fuel for the fire and Nintendo just refuses to give us that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, Smash Speculation has been a barren wasteland for half a year after everything blew up with Byleth. There's just nothing to talk about. We have basically nothing to go off of outside of rumors since Nintendo isn't revealing characters or anything for that matter. What we really need at this point is more fuel for the fire and Nintendo just refuses to give us that.
I know. This drought has made me lose my patience and I'm ready for this game to end.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Reveal them all right the hell now, or at least reveal the first half of the pass.

FighterZ made the smart choice: They opened by revealing Kefla and Ultra Instinct Goku and that's held everyone up until this point. The "wait and see" approach worked for the last Fighter's Pass because starting with Joker they all rolled out fairly consistently. We're now more than halfway done with this miserable year and we have ONE character, and it's a character people weren't that excited for to begin with. Couple that with the fact that Nintendo DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE FOR THIS YEAR

At least by knowing at least half of the past now, we'd have something to look forward to. Rather than the lingering doubt of "Oh, it's probably going to be another stupid reveal like Byleth...." over our heads

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, once Geno is confirmed I may very well be done with speculation altogether and just consume smash more casually.

Firox

Smash Master
Personally, as fun as it has been here speculating with you guys, I would like to know now so I can get off this crazy ride. It's been fun, but I've lost my patience and I'm ready for this game to end.
Same. Just tell me who's in the pass so I can get on with my life and decide whether Nintendo deserves my money. I'll be plenty hyped just trying to predict movesets rather than being trapped on Mr. Toad's Broken-down-park-bench-of-a-ride.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I wanna apologize for barely being active here today. I have been just very busy playing Super Mario 64 with Beta Luigi!
P.S. I know I'm a naughty boy
20200728_183411.jpg

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
The 1st "good" new in the day: People had asked Nate if he think that the Mario 3D Collection will be ShadowDropped in August and he said that could happen (Let's remember that he think that we are getting a Mario game in September):
EeCCvZ9XoAIVqPt.png

Droodle

Smash Lord
Since we're likely seeing a similar setup to the first pass, except for some more first parties (maybe?).

Give me 5 recommendations for how the rest of the pass will go, given these requirements:

1. 3rd party character that's more catered towards the West (ie. Banjo).
2. 3rd party character that's more catered towards Japan (ie. Hero).
3. Character that comes from a recently popular game that was decently big both in Japan and outside of it (ie. Joker).
4. 3rd party character that comes from a "niche" series with a lot of legacy. HARD MODE: Character has to bring a lot of music alongside them (ie. Terry).
5. Character from a recent first party game that would get promotional benefits (ie. Byleth) (You can "predict" future games for this).

Don't double dip on series or developers. Outside of Nintendo, duh. And try to be realistic.

My picks would be:
- Geno (Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this here.)/Waluigi/Crash
- A Tales character. Lloyd or Yuri, maybe Alphen.
- Dante/Sora
- Demi-Fiend from SMT/Adol Christin from Ys/Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
- Sylux for Metroid/Zelda for BOTW 2/Xenoblade 3 character

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Since we're likely seeing a similar setup to the first pass, except for some more first parties (maybe?).

Give me 5 recommendations for how the rest of the pass will go, given these requirements:

1. 3rd party character that's more catered towards the West (ie. Banjo).
2. 3rd party character that's more catered towards Japan (ie. Hero).
3. Character that comes from a recently popular game that was decently big both in Japan and outside of it (ie. Joker).
4. 3rd party character that comes from a "niche" series with a lot of legacy. HARD MODE: Character has to bring a lot of music alongside them (ie. Terry).
5. Character from a recent first party game that would get promotional benefits (ie. Byleth) (You can "predict" future games for this).

Don't double dip on series or developers. Outside of Nintendo, duh. And try to be realistic.

My picks would be:
- Geno (Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this here.)/Waluigi/Crash
- A Tales character. Lloyd or Yuri, maybe Alphen.
- Dante/Sora
- Demi-Fiend from SMT/Adol Christin from Ys/Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
- Sylux for Metroid/Zelda for BOTW 2/Xenoblade 3 character
  1. Geno (his popularity is mostly western, I believe, albeit not without some Japanese support)
  2. Kiryu Kazama (the Yakuza series only recently started picking up steam in the States, could see Kiryu being added to help promote some Switch ports)
  3. Dante (while I think Phoenix Wright edges out in chance, Devil May Cry V does give Dante a certain advantage that might win out)
  4. Ryu Hayabusa (like Terry, he could act as a "company rep" for Koei Tecmo, bringing in music from Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and the Warriors series)
  5. Officer Howard (like Byleth, I could see Astral Chain getting in despite the timing not matching up)
So who is Direct-Feed Games, anyhow?
Direct-Feed Games is Nate's Twitter account, I believe.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
It's going to be a WWE Battlegrounds Direct
I wanna apologize for barely being active here today. I have been just very busy playing Super Mario 64 with Beta Luigi!
P.S. I know I'm a naughty boy
View attachment 280406
Mind if I DM you about that? I'm super interested in doing the same.

Also, I'm sure it's been posted a dozen times at least, but I was going back and listening to the Forest's Maze arrangement on Yoko Shimomura's greatest hits performance, and it's so good it hurts. It also pleases me that both SMRPG songs on that collection are the "Geno" songs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They wouldn't have released a Partner Direct only to release another one a mere few weeks later. It costs money to have someone compile this ****, translate it, and do the voice over for it. They would have held off on the Partner Direct if there was information to be had for it. If we get another one early in August, or even in August at all, I will be very surprised.
I think what happened is that the E3 Direct got split into three: two minis and the main. This said, I doubt it was made on the fly.

D

Deleted member

Since according to insiders we won't get anything until September and August only having a Partner Showcase for the 3rd, I made something that's very fitting for the situation.
PicsArt_07-28-07.11.29.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom