• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Did the non-Banjo Rare franchise that will make or break the Mii Costume guy show up?
Nope, but given that the Fable 4 Playground rumors were 100% true and the fact we still haven't seen what The Initiative, the studio rumored to be doing Perfect Dark, is doing it's still up in the air.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I am hoping nintendo will show us their e3 plans. I have a hard time believing they won’t show anything before the investor meeting. Everyone is ok with delays, they are to be expected. But staying quiet not to even show “here is what are plans were for E3 to showcase” is is a bad call.

we know that would be one of the questions from the investors if NOTHING is shown or teased. Was Nintendo planning on going to e3 just to say: “play animal crossing”?
They were planning to tell us about Paper Mario. And probably nothing else.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Microsoft Showcase:

"We've been working with Nintendo and will have more representation on Smash. Since Nintendo doesn't want to talk about their stuff anymore, take a look at this video to see who will be in Smash!"

Lol. Not going to happen, but man, seriously Nintendo, TALK ABOUT YOUR STUFF.
Yeah, I doubt we will ever see a Smash Character shown at a Competitor's event.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but nothing is stopping them from re-releasing Amiibos without it being related to Smash though. And the fact that amiibo's being rereleased around the time of them relating to game/Smash announcements is a pretty loose thing. I agree that amiibo release dates indicate the expected time of the next fighter's release, but other than that they haven't really consistently predicted the reveal of future characters (if at all). I don't really remember all the amiibo restocks that have happened so far either, so I don't know when Zelda and Xenoblade amiibo's were restocked. But that's just me, you may know more on that. In my opinion, if they really were pairing amiibo's for characters; then something like K. Rool would have been also saved for Dixie rather than getting reprinted earlier.

Even if it's just a semiclone, it'll still be a good chunk of work considering that the team is probably quite a bit smaller than base game (even if it's ideally the size of FP1). Semiclones still nedd a lot of new animations, and I think pushing certain characters like Waluigi as a semiclone would be weird to do (he really is nothing like Luigi and in terms of size would be pretty different, though they made Dark Samus a semiclone so...). Now we have no information on how much time semiclones take, but I still think creating all the animations, testing for bugs/glitches, balancing likely take a month minimum (If we think 4 months is the right amount of time for a full blown character).

I also think it's a pretty big double standard for saying a full blown Mii costume is a consolation prize, and then saying something like an AT will get upgraded considering those are also consolation prizes. Waluigi and Mii costumes like Rex, Springman, Viridi are in pretty much the exact same position as neither an AT or a Mii costume has been upgraded in the exact same game. I don't really think there's enough evidence to say that base Mii Costumes are off the table yet AT's are not. Even if Waluigi has been heard a lot by insiders, he could totally just end up being leakbait for Geno (or maybe Geno is leakbait for him). I just don't think you can say that mii costumes are fully deconfirmed yet AT's are not with a straight face. Besides I don't really think AT's OR Base mii costumes deconfirm, and they definitely only did for Base content + Planned. Reminder that Sakurai even said that originally spirits were a way to represent characters in a way that wasn't fighters AKA a consolation prize, AT's/Mii costumes were either just higher priority or easier to get the rights of/port back from Smash 4.

In regards to Sakurai saying he doesn't like to add characters he has created, I don't really remember that. And it's not like Sakurai has no qualms with adding characters he had created in the likes of Smash 4 with Dark Pit for example (and while Palutena isn't completely created by him, he did create the modern representation of the design, and chances are Medusa would be in the exact same position), And while a Retro rep is decently likely (Hero/Terry esque), there are a dozen of other choices comparatively (the WTF character was Pirahna Plant, sure it isn't "Retro" but it definitely is WTF). Sakurai even directly compared it to the likes of Game and Watch, ROB, and Duck Hunt.

And on top of that Lolo and Lala weren't even in the spirit list, so clearly they weren't high in their list for representation in base (even as spirits). So unless Lolo has some amazing evidence backing him up by insiders, which I doubt. I can't really see a character like him getting in. Like I said before, there are a bunch of other "retro" characters they could end up adding, some first party and some third party.

Again overall I still think that even an echo/semi clone pass isn't happening. It's going to be these 6 unique characters, and we're done. There's far more evidence backing this up, comparatively. Suggesting that there are "bonus" characters happening right now, even if it's just semiclones, is just giving me Grinch leak flashbacks; where people were saying we have a good chunk of fighters left because Sakurai likes to defy expectations and it turned out we just had 2 left.
Pretty much my only problem with all the Waluigi talk is that he could easily be leakbait. If Waluigi was heard by insiders forever since November 2018, isn’t that suspicious since nobody even knew extra characters back then? Paragon was told last, like I recall pre-E3 and yet Waluigi still isn’t here. If ARMS is the only Nintendo pack, that means no Waluigi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just so that people know what I'm talking about, I asked the Mii Costume Guy in-between if I had permission to share the following message if something came up in the X Box presentation suggesting the Perfect Dark rumors were true. Here's the original Mii Costume list I got back in December before a number of others were added by the end of the month. I decided to censor the Sony name because it's still a really cool surprise in my opinion:

unknown-1~2.png

D

Deleted member

Just so that people know what I'm talking about, I asked the Mii Costume Guy in-between if I had permission to share the following message if something came up in the X Box presentation suggesting the Perfect Dark rumors were true. Here's the original Mii Costume list I got back in December before a number of others were added by the end of the month. I decided to censor the Sony name because it's still a really cool surprise in my opinion:

View attachment 279847
Mallow, Smithy, Chocobo, and 2B for Geno’s Mii costume pack? I was hoping for a Crono costume. Still cool though.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

View attachment 279847
So, just so I'm remembering correctly, neither the "Nintendo" or "Sony" costumes are actually characters owned by either company right? Just heavily associated with them?

Looks like I was absolutely correct in suspecting that development had been affected far more than we were initially led to believe.
It's an article from March dude.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 279847
They did say more announcements were on the horizon, so a Perfect Dark game being revealed before year's end is plausible

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
It certainly is - and, not much of a surprise here, but the pandemic has not improved since then. In many cases, it has only gotten worse - especially in the US, where travel needs to be common for continuation of business in a lot of cases. This doesn't tell me anything different other than if it was this bad three months ago, there is no way it has gotten any better.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, just so I'm remembering correctly, neither the "Nintendo" or "Sony" costumes are actually characters owned by either company right? Just heavily associated with them?

Exactly. Like I've said in the past, I don't like "Fatman exclusives" and I was warned the secret Mii costumes would more than likely be tied to future announcements. This is why I'm making them public now because Cadence got a ton of DLC on Monday, the Sony character got a new game in the PS5 showcase, 2B had a mobile game announced in the Spring, and, with Fable 4 confirmed after leaking with a Perfect Dark reboot, the Perfect Dark rumors are like 95% true at this point.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Exactly. Like I've said in the past, I don't like "Fatman exclusives" and I was warned the secret Mii costumes would more than likely be tied to future announcements. This is why I'm making them public now because Cadence got a ton of DLC on Monday, the Sony character got a new game in the PS5 showcase, 2B had a mobile game announced in the Spring, and, with Fable 4 confirmed after leaking with a Perfect Dark reboot, the Perfect Dark rumors are like 95% true at this point.
and with Microsoft (and seemingly Sony) apparently done with their console presentations/what probably were their E3 plans, Nintendo's big reveals can't be very far off.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh, so it WAS 2B, huh. You do know they also announced a remake/remaster of the original Nier at the end of March right?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Looks like I was absolutely correct in suspecting that development had been affected far more than we were initially led to believe.
Well, if Min Min truly was delayed, that should just prove alone that it has been affected in some compacity no matter if we like it or not.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I have a good idea who I think the Sony-related costume is. It certainly matches everything you’ve said.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

View attachment 279847
Gotta say, that'd be a pretty good list of Mii Costumes. 2B as a Mii Costume would be pretty nice, especially if they decide to pair her with Neir Automata music.

So I take it the mystery costume is Ratchet? Rift Apart was revealed during the PS5 Presentation and he'd fit well as a Mii Gunner costume.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So after all this is said and done, how're you feeling overall for Geno's chances? Give us a percantage.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Again, it's not a character owned by Sony, they'd never put anything they own in Smash, just someone heavily associated with them. No clue who it could be even looking at the PS5 showcase though.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 279847
Looks like seven letters. Sackboy? Does Sony own Media Molecule?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

View attachment 279847
Ain´t Miss Pacman in license hell though?

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
What if we were originally supposed to get a General Direct on Monday, hence why all the insiders were hyping it up, but Nintendo decided to push it back so they wouldn't be overshadowed by Microsoft's conference?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have a good idea who I think the Sony-related costume is. It certainly matches everything you’ve said.
I have three in mind and they each would be incredible.

Also, I had a hunch 2B was the Square Mii Costume Fatman heard about. Especially noticing the announcements surrounding Nier.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, I think the craziest thing about today isn't the borderline confirmation of the Perfect Dark reboot (or the fact Mii Costume Guy knew about it back in December) but the fact that it signs a light on a really, really bat**** rumor that's existed since last fall. Basically Microsoft and RARE were apparently so blown away by the positive reception that Banjo got for Smash and that, because of it, they were going to entertain NEW RARE games not being XBox exclusives in the future. Today's events may add credence to that.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think the craziest thing about today isn't the borderline confirmation of the Perfect Dark reboot (or the fact Mii Costume Guy knew about it back in December) but the fact that it signs a light on a really, really bat**** rumor that's existed since last fall. Basically Microsoft and RARE were apparently so blown away by the positive reception that Banjo got for Smash and that, because of it, they were going to entertain NEW RARE games not being XBox exclusives in the future. Today's events may add credence to that, especially RARE being totally AWOL today.
What are you talking about, we literally saw Everwild today, and Sea of Thieves for Series X as well, did we watch the same conference?

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about, we literally saw Everwild today, and Sea of Thieves for Series X as well, did we watch the same conference?
Either way, isn't Perfect Dark rumored to be by a different dev?

I think Battletoads isn't by Rare either, I think Fatman might be saying they were encouraged enough to loan out Rare IPs to other devs.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm old. I'm only familiar with the old N64 RARE properties. Still, point remains, this could potentially suggest non X Box exclusive RARE stuff in the future.
So do you more mean "classic Rareware stuff" when talking about it, or did you simply not know of their other properties? Just to clarify what you mean better.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Again, it's not a character owned by Sony, they'd never put anything they own in Smash, just someone heavily associated with them. No clue who it could be even looking at the PS5 showcase though.
The only character that I can think of is someone like a Resident Evil character (but is something like Resident Evil showing up at PS5 announcement really a surprise?) and I'm pretty sure that if a Capcom character shows up, then an RE costume is definitely happening (pretty easy guess). Oddworld is a possibility but I don't fully associate it with Playstation.

Ain´t Miss Pacman in license hell though?
Yep, that's why Bamco always uses a different name (and a slightly different design) for Ms. Pac Man in modern media. Every time they use the character/name, they have to pay royalties to GCC and the rights became even more of a mess when AT games entered the picture and Namco tried to sue them for attempting to get rights to Ms. Pac Man arcades. I doubt that she'll get a mii costume because unlike DQ, the companies involved in amking Ms. Pac man seem to hate each other as well. The last time she showed up officially was in Sonic Dash back in 2018 after a long hiatus, but that was a f2p character/game so chances are licensing was fairly different. On top of that, that was before Atgames also got somewhat involved.

Honestly, I think the craziest thing about today isn't the borderline confirmation of the Perfect Dark reboot (or the fact Mii Costume Guy knew about it back in December) but the fact that it signs a light on a really, really bat**** rumor that's existed since last fall. Basically Microsoft and RARE were apparently so blown away by the positive reception that Banjo got for Smash and that, because of it, they were going to entertain NEW RARE games not being XBox exclusives in the future. Today's events may add credence to that, especially RARE being totally AWOL today.
Everwild was shown off by modern RARE today. And really the only thing I can see from RARE that isn't Xbox/PC is the RARE REPLAY. Everything else seems too high graphically for the Switch and Xbox isn't interested in PS4. So aside from ports of old RARE games, there's little to no chance for any potential new games to come to the Switch.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
What if we were originally supposed to get a General Direct on Monday, hence why all the insiders were hyping it up, but Nintendo decided to push it back so they wouldn't be overshadowed by Microsoft's conference?
3 Days is at least a bit of time, it's not like it would be followed immediately same day or next. And if they do have AAA first party games to show, I'm not sure that the general demographic would be overshadowed by what Microsoft has. Not saying it might not have anything to do with it, but I dunno, doesn't seem like with the amount of time between it, it'd have made a difference.

That said, if that were the case, if they do announce one tomorrow for next week or announce one early next week for later next week, that could be part of it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So do you more mean "classic Rareware stuff" when talking about it, or did you simply not know of their other properties? Just to clarify what you mean better.
I didn't know of their other properties but, if I had to guess, the non exclusive stuff probably would be old RARE stuff because there's definitely an audience for it as Banjo made abundantly clear.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

View attachment 279847
>2B Mii Fighter costume

I've nothing against 2B, and it would suck if she got Mii Costume'd like this, but... oh, the irony if this is true, after all the people who went "Geno will get Mii Costume'd and 2B is becoming playable instead because she's more popular and beneficial to Square Enix"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom