• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
He said non-bear Rare franchise, so it wouldn't be Banjo-Kazooie.

I don't think a separate game announcement/trailer would mean that the franchise in question is necessarily going to be getting a Smash Bros. Mii costume, though - we know that a new Battletoads game is being made, for example.
Yeah I don't see how the showcase today would tie into smash in any way? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are you implying one of the franchises in the showcase will outright say that their character is going to be a mii costume in smash? I don't really get it.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I was thinking on another Splash Art for Geno. Don’t think I have seen it before:

Geno Detours to Smash Route!

Just for fun because my favorites are:

Geno shoots for the stars!
Geno shoots for Smash!
Geno whirls in!
Geno lands into Smash!

and my all time favorite: Geno Awakens!
Geno Awakens is probably my favorite too

I also like:
Geno Squares Up
Geno Gives it a Whirl
Geno Stars in Smash
Geno Shoots for the Stars
Geno Blasts the Competition
Geno Beams Down
Etc

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just to repeat what I always say:

View attachment 279833

People don't have to believe me, just don't be assholes about it if I'm wrong because I get stuff second/third hand and I often fill in the blanks with my own speculation/theorycraft.
No way, you are out there with your "theory crafting! The internet does not like people doing that! If you are wrong ... then ... then ...

Oooh! All right, that's it! Dishonor! Dishonor on your whole family!

Make a note of this: dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow, dis...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wouldn’t non-bear mean like Joanna dark, battletoads, etc?
Yes - it would mean any Rare franchise that isn't Banjo-Kazooie. (even Sea Of Thieves would count, though I doubt that's what's being implied here)

Like I said, I'm skeptical that it would mean that the franchise in question would be getting a Mii costume, whatever franchise it winds up being, though I'd certainly be happy to see them doing something with Rare's franchises. (especially if there's a PC release involved - it's a shame that Rare Replay came out before Microsoft started releasing all of their exclusives on PC)

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Based on things I've heard and my own theorycraft, these are my current predictions:

-Waluigi (semi clone of Luigi, 35th Super Mario anniversary)

-Dixie (semi clone of Diddy, promotes upcoming DK game, 40th anniversary of DK)

-Medusa (semi clone of Palutena, promotes upcoming Kid Icarus game(?), Sora rep)

-Lolo/Lala (semi clone of Kirby, promotes upcoming Kirby game (?), HAL rep, technically part of HAL's 40th anniversary)

Another part of my theorycraft is that they would be paired with Geno, Chief, Dante, and Crash respectively.
Sakurai has said at multiple points in time that this FP is the end (at least for now). It's just these 6, there are no bonus characters (semiclones or not). On top of that, they're not going to increase their workload even if it's semiclones, they jusr promised 6 characters, and they'll deliver on that. I don't see why you're still expecting bonus characters to somehow make it in.

Besides on top of that,

Waluigi: If you're expecting Geno for the next character; then he represents Mario for his anniversary just fine. There is no reason to think that (logically speaking) both Geno and Waluigi will get in, in order to represent Mario's anniversary. Mario is already super well represented for most people, putting just 1 of them is enough. They don't need 2 to celebrate Mario's anniversary.

Dixie: I don't doubt that a new DK game is being worked on. But again, why would it mean that we're getting a new DK rep? DK/Rare already got tons of love both in the base game and in FP 1. Sure it's the 40th anniversary, but why would it mean a character? On top of that, the chances of a new DK game coming out by Christmas is pretty low.

Medusa: Sakurai is working on Smash, he isn't working on a Kid Icarus sequel. A port/remaster could work but again, does that mean it's getting a Smash character? Advertising a port via Smash seems a bit overkill. Even then Viridi would be a better fit for a semiclone of Palutena.

Lolo/Lala: I don't see this happening, even if it's the 40th anniversary of HAL. It'd be a huge middle finger to Dee, Magolor, Marx fans who have been asking for them, and Dee in particular has a huge fanbase. It'd be like Nintendo celebrating Mario's anniversary by putting in Wart rather than Geno or Waluigi. Don't really see why this character was brought up.

Really half of this seems like your wishlist (Dixie/Waluigi) and the other half seems like the random characters that no one expects (Medusa/Lolo). I think the prerequisites you made for the list is upcoming games/anniversaries but even then you've overlooked some particular details. Zelda's 35th is next year, and that franchise has been booming lately, if bonus characters are shill picks like you suggested then BOTW 2 also releases yet Zelda isn't on your "expected" list. Pokemon's 25th anniversary is also next year, and it'll probably get a new game too. But again it isn't on the list of what you are expecting. Xenoblade's 10th anniversary was this year, and a game released around the exact same time; yet it's not like Smash celebrated in a big way either. There's a ton of spirits, potential semi-clones, and costumes they could add but they chose not to.

So really Smash doesn't have to acknowledge anniversaries or upcoming games all the time. And most of the time it won't.

Yeah I don't see how the showcase today would tie into smash in any way? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are you implying one of the franchises in the showcase will outright say that their character is going to be a mii costume in smash? I don't really get it.
I think he's implying something Conker related, unless I'm mistaken. But even then, unless the Mii Costume Guy specifically told him about Conker in this showcase; it doesn't really imply anything. Microsoft's been trying to keep Conker "alive" through cameos and minor games ever since the Xbox One released (Project Spark, Young Conker).

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Microsoft Showcase:

"We've been working with Nintendo and will have more representation on Smash. Since Nintendo doesn't want to talk about their stuff anymore, take a look at this video to see who will be in Smash!"

Lol. Not going to happen, but man, seriously Nintendo, TALK ABOUT YOUR STUFF.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looked up the tweet and the mention that Nintendo would possibly have to make an announcement (or another "Direct") either next week or the one after does line up with the time that's left before the investors meeting of August 6th. Nintendo pretty much has up to either next week, or August 5th at the latest to drop some encouraging and solid announcements to quell investors' concerns. Personally, I'm feeling confident on news dropping next week.

Based on things I've heard and my own theorycraft, these are my current predictions:

-Waluigi (semi clone of Luigi, 35th Super Mario anniversary)

-Dixie (semi clone of Diddy, promotes upcoming DK game, 40th anniversary of DK)

-Medusa (semi clone of Palutena, promotes upcoming Kid Icarus game(?), Sora rep)

-Lolo/Lala (semi clone of Kirby, promotes upcoming Kirby game (?), HAL rep, technically part of HAL's 40th anniversary)

Another part of my theorycraft is that they would be paired with Geno, Chief, Dante, and Crash respectively.
I'm liking where this is going. :2gud: Also, XBOX showcase coming up in a bit.

domriver

Smash Lord
Another thing I wanted to share with you all is that today is Mii Costume Guy's final test. Three of his four "secret" Mii costumes have had official announcements this year, one in the Spring and two this summer, leaving the Microsoft one. If the game/franchise appears today, it's GG. There's no doubt in my mind after that the Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes are real too and I'll let you guys know, of course.
Would you please repost the Mii Costume Guy Leak please. So we can refer to that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Droodle Droodle

I've explained my reasoning for my theory:

-Zelda, Xenoblade, etc aren't part of my predictions because all their respective Smash Amiibo have already been rereleased. The theory is that certain Smash Amiibo have been held back for rerelease for one reason or another, potentially tying to Smash or upcoming games.

-The characters I'm considering as bonuses line up with the concept of semi-clones because they would be easier to make than totally unique characters and Sakurai has already shot down more echoes coming. That said, the "pool" in my theorycraft is: Luigi, Lucas, DK, Diddy, Palutena, and Kirby.

-Waluigi has been around in insider circles since November 2018 so I do still believe there's something to it.

-Dixie is kind of two fold. Decent evidence that there's a big DK project coming and the fact that Dixie technically started her life as a RARE character. If Chief really is #8 and DK really is the big secret holiday game, them coming together would make sense.

-Viridi is already a Mii costume and we've kind of established that full Mii costumes are basically a consolation prize. Springman and Ribbongirl further solidified that in my opinion. Medusa is the only other Kid Icarus character that would fit this bill, especially in the light that she's, design wise, basically Dark Palutena. Like I said in my theorycraft,Kid Icarus is also the only "true" Sora franchise too so that limits things even more.

-Lolo is a number of factors including some I'm not allowed to publicly talk about. Beyond that, Sakurai has stated that he really doesn't like adding characters that he specifically created and it's also pretty notable that we don't have our goofy WTF retro character yet. Coincidentally, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, and ROB haven't had their Amiibos rereleased yet. There's also the fact that Lolo was the original HAL mascot before Kirby and HAL is technically the company that spearheaded the entire Smash series.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Zelda, Xenoblade, etc aren't part of my predictions because all their respective Smash Amiibo have already been rereleased. The theory is that certain Smash Amiibo have been held back for rerelease for one reason or another, potentially tying to Smash or upcoming games.
Sakurai pretty clearly hinted that we're getting a Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo redesign though....

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Sakurai pretty clearly hinted that we're getting a Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo redesign though....
Didn't he explicitly say that we're NOT getting redesigns?

"However, some fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf have their designs from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, so it's too bad that we will not have updated versions." Sakurai can be a tease, but I don't think he's ever jokingly lied about something without establishing the truth within a minute, so I don't think this was a tease.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Didn't he explicitly say that we're NOT getting redesigns?
The say he acted when he said it seemed playful/coy. He could have been serious, but the way he said it ("some fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf have their designs from [Smash 4], so it's too bad we won't have their updated versions. Ahh, what a shame. But we've released them all. Every. Last. One.") made it seem like he wasn't serious.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
It's kinda crazy that Geno is one of maybe 3 or 4 characters who have remained consistently very relevant in speculation since E3 2018 (I would argue Sora, Crash and maybe Lloyd are the other 3). Other characters like Hayabusa or Doom Slayer sprung up real quick at a certain point and died down considerably (but are still popular), or are like Katalina (remember that?) who was a huge bandwagon for a couple days and died very quick. It's mad that Geno has been talked about in the same vein as Crash ****ing Bandicoot and Sora for over 2 years. We'll get there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would you please repost the Mii Costume Guy Leak please. So we can refer to that.
Yeah, of course. Here's a summary I made in June:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2774#post-23962058

Here's my first recap of what has and hasn't come from Mii Costume Guy back in March:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2510#post-23859500

Here's me talking about the first list back in December before more characters like Hollow Knight and Kris got added:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...es-the-slaughter.456945/page-34#post-23747578

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Bruh... first World Premier on the XBOX Pre Show is Dragon Quest XI. I have a feeling this was possible thanks to Nintendo.

EDIT: To put it in context, this is the FIRST Dragon Quest game on XBOX (on ANY XBOX platform). May not seem like a big deal but, it actually is.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
The say he acted when he said it seemed playful/coy. He could have been serious, but the way he said it ("some fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf have their designs from [Smash 4], so it's too bad we won't have their updated versions. Ahh, what a shame. But we've released them all. Every. Last. One.") made it seem like he wasn't serious.
Again, Sakurai has never trolled the audience without telling the truth only a minute later. I think the "every last one" bit was actually teasing the Joker and Hero amiibo (and, by extension, the DLC amiibo as a whole).

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That's the first DQ/FF on Xbox, right? I've never owned an Xbox before so I'm not intimately familiar with what they've had on it.
I know at the very least the FF13 trilogy and FF15 have been on Xbox consoles

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Bruh... first World Premier on the XBOX Pre Show is Dragon Quest XI. I have a feeling this was possible thanks to Nintendo.

EDIT: To put it in context, this is the FIRST Dragon Quest game on XBOX (on ANY XBOX platform). May not seem like a big deal but, it actually is.
Why, it's not like Nintendo is in charge of whatever Square does with Dragon Quest. They just published outside of Japan, and that didn't stop Octopath from coming to PC. Oh, and 11S ON PC, 11S ON PC, THANK GOD SQUARE. Atleast we know what one of their E3 announcements was.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Yes - it would mean any Rare franchise that isn't Banjo-Kazooie. (even Sea Of Thieves would count, though I doubt that's what's being implied here)

Like I said, I'm skeptical that it would mean that the franchise in question would be getting a Mii costume, whatever franchise it winds up being, though I'd certainly be happy to see them doing something with Rare's franchises. (especially if there's a PC release involved - it's a shame that Rare Replay came out before Microsoft started releasing all of their exclusives on PC)
So , a killer instinct mii costume based on the freaking cyborg.
Obviously. Can't have mk, but KI wasn't as blooody.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So , a killer instinct mii costume based on the freaking cyborg.
Obviously. Can't have mk, but KI wasn't as blooody.
I'm still 1% mad we didn't get KI (or non-banjo Rare in general) representation in Smash but it's pretty obviously Perfect Dark, the rumors have been swirling around it for the entire year at this point.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
A fellow Shadow ally possibly having credible info? Very interesting indeed. I'm unsure how trustworthy this guy is though. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what do you think of this guy? And I mean regardless whether he is credible or not, Geno is in and no one can convince me that those insiders talking up Super Mario RPG the other night was just for giggles.

...also, I'm surprised no one went to this guy's Twitter to check what else he's said. Because, lads, I found something
View attachment 279818

If this is true... this is what we call an epic gamer moment ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Just kidding, this would make so many people so mad. Though if Jonesy was just a Mii costume, I'd probably just laugh a lot.)
Oh man dear god I hope he means Jonesy as a Mii Outfit...
Again, random dude who won't even show the DM's? Can we wait until someone we actually trust talks to him before listening?
If you really don't believe me, here's all the proof you need that I have in fact talked the guy.

Screenshot_20200723-111650.png

I want you all to know that I would NEVER lie to this thread, and if I have something to share with all of you, I WILL SHARE IT.

What do you mean long story short?! Are his sources credible or not? What did he tell you and what did he share?

Explain!! o.o
I've replied to an earlier comment that he basically told me where these sources come from, however THAT I won't share since I'm pretty sure he doesn't want that information out their. He is also in PapaGenos's Discord so I personally don't think he would lie about this.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
If you really don't believe me, here's all the proof you need that I have in fact talked the guy.

I want you all to know that I would NEVER lie to this thread, and if I have something to share with all of you, I WILL SHARE IT.
I believe their issue wasn't with you, but with Shadow not sharing his DMs.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I believe their issue wasn't with you, but with Shadow not sharing his DMs.
Oh okay. But as I said, I'm not gonna ignore what he says just yet until I see his sources become right about this stuff. Their is a great chance that the reason he doesn't want to put the DMs out their is because of not wanting to out his sources, so I think this "leak" is a wait and see approach, to see if any of the information he has comes in to fruition.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The Dragon Quest XI "World Premier" kicking off the pre-show for now stands as a soft-confirm (imo) to an E3-tier "Direct" (or some form of presentation) next week. The last couple of E3's Nintendo had its Direct after Sony and Microsoft showed theirs, and from the looks of it, this is XBOX's E3 presentation.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The Dragon Quest XI "World Premier" kicking off the pre-show for now stands as a soft-confirm (imo) to an E3-tier "Direct" (or some form of presentation) next week. The last couple of E3's Nintendo had its Direct after Sony and Microsoft showed theirs, and from the looks of it, this is XBOX's E3 presentation.
If Nintendo was holding a general direct anytime soon they wouldn't be doing multiple third party showcases for the rest of the year, they would just put those announcements in the direct. I'm not saying we aren't getting some kind of presentation/announcements soon but I think people need to stop hoping for Nintendo to save their Holiday line-up by doing some giant mega announcement and accept that it really is probably just ports in 3D World, Pikmin 3, and The Mario Collection, Bravely Default 2, and one or two more minor games like Mario Sports or something, plus Pokemon/Smash DLC.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo was holding a general direct anytime soon they wouldn't be doing multiple third party showcases for the rest of the year, they would just put those announcements in the direct. I'm not saying we aren't getting some kind of presentation/announcements soon but I think people need to stop hoping for Nintendo to save their Holiday line-up by doing some giant mega announcement and accept that it really is probably just ports in 3D World, Pikmin 3, and The Mario Collection, Bravely Default 2, and one or two more minor games like Mario Sports or something, plus Pokemon/Smash DLC.
They *did* tell 3rd Parties to hold off on sending them any trailers until September, so I'm not entirely sure we won't see a general one this year.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am hoping nintendo will show us their e3 plans. I have a hard time believing they won’t show anything before the investor meeting. Everyone is ok with delays, they are to be expected. But staying quiet not to even show “here is what are plans were for E3 to showcase” is is a bad call.

we know that would be one of the questions from the investors if NOTHING is shown or teased. Was Nintendo planning on going to e3 just to say: “play animal crossing”?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle

I've explained my reasoning for my theory:

-Zelda, Xenoblade, etc aren't part of my predictions because all their respective Smash Amiibo have already been rereleased. The theory is that certain Smash Amiibo have been held back for rerelease for one reason or another, potentially tying to Smash or upcoming games.

-The characters I'm considering as bonuses line up with the concept of semi-clones because they would be easier to make than totally unique characters and Sakurai has already shot down more echoes coming. That said, the "pool" in my theorycraft is: Luigi, Lucas, DK, Diddy, Palutena, and Kirby.

-Waluigi has been around in insider circles since November 2018 so I do still believe there's something to it.

-Dixie is kind of two fold. Decent evidence that there's a big DK project coming and the fact that Dixie technically started her life as a RARE character. If Chief really is #8 and DK really is the big secret holiday game, them coming together would make sense.

-Viridi is already a Mii costume and we've kind of established that full Mii costumes are basically a consolation prize. Springman and Ribbongirl further solidified that in my opinion. Medusa is the only other Kid Icarus character that would fit this bill, especially in the light that she's, design wise, basically Dark Palutena. Like I said in my theorycraft,Kid Icarus is also the only "true" Sora franchise too so that limits things even more.

-Lolo is a number of factors including some I'm not allowed to publicly talk about. Beyond that, Sakurai has stated that he really doesn't like adding characters that he specifically created and it's also pretty notable that we don't have our goofy WTF retro character yet. Coincidentally, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, and ROB haven't had their Amiibos rereleased yet. There's also the fact that Lolo was the original HAL mascot before Kirby and HAL is technically the company that spearheaded the entire Smash series.
Yeah, but nothing is stopping them from re-releasing Amiibos without it being related to Smash though. And the fact that amiibo's being rereleased around the time of them relating to game/Smash announcements is a pretty loose thing. I agree that amiibo release dates indicate the expected time of the next fighter's release, but other than that they haven't really consistently predicted the reveal of future characters (if at all). I don't really remember all the amiibo restocks that have happened so far either, so I don't know when Zelda and Xenoblade amiibo's were restocked. But that's just me, you may know more on that. In my opinion, if they really were pairing amiibo's for characters; then something like K. Rool would have been also saved for Dixie rather than getting reprinted earlier.

Even if it's just a semiclone, it'll still be a good chunk of work considering that the team is probably quite a bit smaller than base game (even if it's ideally the size of FP1). Semiclones still nedd a lot of new animations, and I think pushing certain characters like Waluigi as a semiclone would be weird to do (he really is nothing like Luigi and in terms of size would be pretty different, though they made Dark Samus a semiclone so...). Now we have no information on how much time semiclones take, but I still think creating all the animations, testing for bugs/glitches, balancing likely take a month minimum (If we think 4 months is the right amount of time for a full blown character).

I also think it's a pretty big double standard for saying a full blown Mii costume is a consolation prize, and then saying something like an AT will get upgraded considering those are also consolation prizes. Waluigi and Mii costumes like Rex, Springman, Viridi are in pretty much the exact same position as neither an AT or a Mii costume has been upgraded in the exact same game. I don't really think there's enough evidence to say that base Mii Costumes are off the table yet AT's are not. Even if Waluigi has been heard a lot by insiders, he could totally just end up being leakbait for Geno (or maybe Geno is leakbait for him). I just don't think you can say that mii costumes are fully deconfirmed yet AT's are not with a straight face. Besides I don't really think AT's OR Base mii costumes deconfirm, and they definitely only did for Base content + Planned. Reminder that Sakurai even said that originally spirits were a way to represent characters in a way that wasn't fighters AKA a consolation prize, AT's/Mii costumes were either just higher priority or easier to get the rights of/port back from Smash 4.

In regards to Sakurai saying he doesn't like to add characters he has created, I don't really remember that. And it's not like Sakurai has no qualms with adding characters he had created in the likes of Smash 4 with Dark Pit for example (and while Palutena isn't completely created by him, he did create the modern representation of the design, and chances are Medusa would be in the exact same position), And while a Retro rep is decently likely (Hero/Terry esque), there are a dozen of other choices comparatively (the WTF character was Pirahna Plant, sure it isn't "Retro" but it definitely is WTF). Sakurai even directly compared it to the likes of Game and Watch, ROB, and Duck Hunt.

And on top of that Lolo and Lala weren't even in the spirit list, so clearly they weren't high in their list for representation in base (even as spirits). So unless Lolo has some amazing evidence backing him up by insiders, which I doubt. I can't really see a character like him getting in. Like I said before, there are a bunch of other "retro" characters they could end up adding, some first party and some third party.

Again overall I still think that even an echo/semi clone pass isn't happening. It's going to be these 6 unique characters, and we're done. There's far more evidence backing this up, comparatively. Suggesting that there are "bonus" characters happening right now, even if it's just semiclones, is just giving me Grinch leak flashbacks; where people were saying we have a good chunk of fighters left because Sakurai likes to defy expectations and it turned out we just had 2 left.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Albeit the only RARE title I saw in the showcase was Everwild, there was a nod to Battletoads on a game from a different studio (game's titled Grounded). Nonetheless, Microsoft got in some good announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom