• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I wouldn't personally use this as proof of any kind, only because these things can slip by in presentations when a different team who may not be familiar with ownership is involved. Also Opossum made a really good point in how it could potentially differ.

I will agree with WaxPython that music rights is a bit of a complex issue that deviates from contract to contract. (If thats what hes trying to say) There may be confusion as to who composed the music vs who owns it. The two aren't necessarily always the same or multiple parties could partially own it. Or how the contract is drawn could allow the original creator to use it for other projects specifically.

If square owns both the DQ music and SMRPG music 100% then yea they could be a little stingy, but at the end of the day it just means that Geno comes with 1-2 songs. Which I would assume most fans would take over the worst case scenario.
This too. People bring up the fact that they used beware the mushrooms as a big deal, but like Opposum mentioned licensing for advertisement and licensing for the actual game is different.

I mean Life Will change literally played in Joker's reveal trailer and has 0 presence in the actual game. I think Cloud in Smash 4 played Bombing Mission too, but that wasn't in the actual game either.

Playing Beware the Mushrooms doesn't really tell us anything in the long run and has no indication of copyright issues.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have been at work and just digesting everything that has gone on. The fact we got SMT V FINALLY announced with a date (sort of) is incredible!
I am a newbie to Atlus games, but I tried SMT 3 way back when and I just could not do it. I am looking forward to tackling it again.

It is very odd that NOW Nintendo decides to experiment with the Direct formula and not just...wait? However, it is kind of funny that we got something and we may get another one or two in the coming weeks. What a time we live in!

Genome

Smash Cadet
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0270/Screenshot_2020-07-20_at_10.25.01_AM.png
I posted this meme earlier today and it was removed for spam, so I'm re-posting it with my complete thoughts on the July 20th direct.

I personally don't think it was a very good direct, considering it had the same impact as a standalone SMT5 trailer. Don't get me wrong, I'm copping SMT5 day one, but it doesn't justify a whole direct (no game really does). And since Nintendo said they aren't limited by COVID, it's a shame that the latter half of 2020 is still a blank slate. Here's hoping that they see the dislikes and fuse their showcases back into an actual direct, because that seems better than one fan base being happy per 2 week period.

I'm dipping temporarily from these forums. See you guys later.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
We have time to kill and that's about it until the big N decides to play ball again. As somebody said earlier, industry insiders all Genoposting before what they thought was a big direct is a big deal on its own, just add it to the pile.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Anyone else just thinking about how industry insiders like Jeff Grubb and Imran Khan just randomly decided to talk about Super Mario RPG content in Smash on Twitter last night? (Along with André Segers from GameXplain, but he isn't technically an "industry insider.") You know, typical talk to just randomly have right before the rumored Direct with a chunk dedicated to the Super Mario franchise. Definitely doesn't mean anything. Yep, I'm just looking into things too much...
Didn't the same thing happen with Banjo before his E3 reveal?

I have been at work and just digesting everything that has gone on. The fact we got SMT V FINALLY announced with a date (sort of) is incredible!
I am a newbie to Atlus games, but I tried SMT 3 way back when and I just could not do it. I am looking forward to tackling it again.

It is very odd that NOW Nintendo decides to experiment with the Direct formula and not just...wait? However, it is kind of funny that we got something and we may get another one or two in the coming weeks. What a time we live in!
Sure as hell threw all the leakers and insiders for a loop.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Anyone else just thinking about how industry insiders like Jeff Grubb and Imran Khan just randomly decided to talk about Super Mario RPG content in Smash last night? (Along with André Segers from GameXplain, but he isn't technically an "industry insider.") You know, typical talk to just randomly have right before the rumored Direct with a chunk dedicated to the Super Mario franchise.
Jeff Grubb has said multiple times in the past that he wants Geno in Smash, and that he's a huge fan of Mario RPG (same with Andre Segers), and Jeff even clarified that his SMRPG tweets yesterday were a joke. So I think they should be treated in such a way. Both Jeff and Andre aren't really "Smash" leakers, but it's safe to say they do have sources at Nintendo.

The odd one out is Imran Khan, who I don't know if he is a Mario RPG/Geno fan. That said, he doesn't really blatantly hint at the character until after the character is revealed (for example he cleverly disguised Min Min). Even though he didn't say Geno, it's pretty heavily implied that he's talking about him in his tweet (or maybe you could argue for Paper Mario).

That combined with clearly how out of tune insiders are with current Nintendo, and how Nintendo especially plays really carefully with Smash reveals nowadays, makes it sound like they were just having fun and joking around rather than leaking. Even some other insiders like NateDrake for example, were saying we won't be getting a Smash announcement even if we get a general direct (and NateDrake knew Min-Min ahead of time).

The only reason Banjo was heavily teased by insiders is because E3 Directs are shown off to press behind closed doors, which doesn't happen outside of E3 anymore. Imran himself confirmed recently that outside of physical E3 events, insiders aren't given a first look at direct announcements well in advance because Nintendo wants to prevent even the simplest of leaks, Outside of that most Smash leaks nowadays happen a week or two before the character is actually shown off, and it's unlikely 7 will be shown off soon.

I'll follow Grubb's advice and take it like a joke rather than a leak.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I think they intend on releasing their planned e3 direct piecemeal with release dates included as much as possible to avoid any COVID uncertainty. Unfortunately this means we'll have to put up with a lot of directs that dont seem good by themselves.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really want to replay SMRPG right now, but my stupid Wii u game pad is drifting really badly and I'll need to get a replacement before I can use it again. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a good way to emulate it or an easy way to fix a gamepad? Can you just use a Wii remote for it?

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
I really want to replay SMRPG right now, but my stupid Wii u game pad is drifting really badly and I'll need to get a replacement before I can use it again. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a good way to emulate it or an easy way to fix a gamepad? Can you just use a Wii remote for it?
I could send you a PM about that.
Edit: Eh I'll just say it in the thread. bsnes is a good emulator for SMRPG. Googling it should help you find it. Finding a rom shouldn't be too hard, I can't tell you which site to use. You'll need to get 7-Zip or winrar to extract the files, and setting it up when it's all in its own folder should be easy. Then you go into settings and input settings to map the buttons to your keyboard. You could also plug in a USB controller if you don't want to use a keyboard, then map the buttons. This is of course completely hypothetical I don't condone emulation.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Weird Question, But Will Geno make Wood sounds if he makes it in. Like when he's moving, do you think There's gonna be the sound of Wood along with his footsteps?

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
I could send you a PM about that.
Edit: Eh I'll just say it in the thread. bsnes is a good emulator for SMRPG. Googling it should help you find it. Finding a rom shouldn't be too hard, I can't tell you which site to use. You'll need to get 7-Zip or winrar to extract the files, and setting it up when it's all in its own folder should be easy. Then you go into settings and input settings to map the buttons to your keyboard. You could also plug in a USB controller if you don't want to use a keyboard, then map the buttons. This is of course completely hypothetical I don't condone emulation.
Funny thing is that i use my pro controller on my computer sometimes (good example is SRB2 Kart which also has a mod where you can play as geno but unfortunately not mallow) so if i do that then im basically playing SMRPG on the NSO before it's even on the NSO

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Today I have been hard at work making a YouTube video that I know will make everyone in this thread happy. The video is scheduled to be uploaded on Friday, so I can't wait for you all to see it!

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Glad you understood what I was getting at

for real

yall here are some of the saddest people I have ever met..
"What?
Passive Aggressiveness is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Passive Aggressiveness evolved into Direct Aggression!"

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys! I haven't posted in this thread in months, but I always like checking it out!

Not sure if anyone cares (and hopefully this is allowed) but I've started live-streaming myself learning to play the Project M mod version of Geno! I'm trying to make it a usual thing to continue to spread the character and also introduce myself to another style of Smash Bros gameplay! Here's my initial stream trying a bunch of the characters out, a video focused on learning Geno's mechanics, and my most recent Geno practice - recorded just a few hours ago! If I'm not allowed to link these, please let me know and I'll edit my post :)

The version I'm playing is "PMEX Remix" - if you're unfamiliar, it's an even further modification of Project M that adds a ton of original characters (Geno, Sans, Metal Face, Ninten, Waluigi... the list goes on!) I wanted to try the character ever since I saw the videos of the development and release from the creator. I think this version will be a steady rotation for me - until he's actually announced, anyways!

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Today I have been hard at work making a YouTube video that I know will make everyone in this thread happy. The video is scheduled to be uploaded on Friday, so I can't wait for you all to see it!
Send me your channel to follow you, buddy!

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
it is though. Partners are back (even though it’s temporary)

battling system is inspired by the first 2 games
A theatre like TTYD

A story like TTYD

it’s not a full on return to form but it’s definitely a return to form therefore the leakers were right
That ain't it, chief.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So in today's video recorded BEFORE the direct, Arlo used Beware The Forest's Mushrooms as the music. NO this isn't evidence, I just find it REALLY funny all the rumors. Not even non-insiders can resist. LOL! :)

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm far more interested in what music would come with Geno rather than the stage. And if said music can be played on any Mario stage.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.
You know what, I think you have a point.
Let's go with Monster Hunter or Chosen Undead.
Those are hype and relevant, we don't really need someone like Geno.
Like, we don't need Ice Climbers, Mr. Game&Watch, R.O.B., Little Mac, Duck Hunt, K. Rool, and Banjo...

Oh...
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Arlo uses Super Mario RPG music a lot. It's arguably a better album than game.

So in today's video recorded BEFORE the direct, Arlo used Beware The Forest's Mushrooms as the music. NO this isn't evidence, I just find it REALLY funny all the rumors. Not even non-insiders can resist. LOL! :)

You're incredibly aggressive with this post for no reason, and miss the point of Little Mac entirely. Punch Out!! was more relevant than ever before at the time of Smash 4.

You know what, I think you have a point.
Let's go with Monster Hunter or Chosen Undead.
Those are hype and relevant, we don't really need someone like Geno.
Like, we don't need Ice Climbers, Mr. Game&Watch, R.O.B., Little Mac, Duck Hunt, K. Rool, and Banjo...

Oh...
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

D

Deleted member

I’m not mad disappointed yeah.

Don’t come at leakers or insiders they were just reporting what they heard.

We’ll get something Nintendo first-party eventually.

For now just hoping these Direct Mini Presents have some surprises.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
“Man, this new Nintendo Partner Direct was not received well, I wonder what the Geno thread thinks about i-“
CD759CE0-8954-4BFE-86FF-BA781C71A41B.jpeg

In all seriousness this direct was sort of underwhelming, but the Shin Megami Tensei stuff was cool. I think people are understandably upset though, if you’re not a SMT fan then there wasn't really anything of substance in that direct.

Was definitely not expecting to come back and see some of the stuff being talked about though. How did we get onto the topic of labeling all Geno haters as Persona/Fire Emblem fans? Rhetorical question, I already know why and I’m not even gonna open that can of worms again.

Hopefully Nintendo actually has some content to share. It’s getting a little frustrating seeing Sony and Microsoft announce a ton of new titles, and all Nintendo had to share was their vacation photos to hawaii and an arts and crafts project.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
The time gap between Paper Mario's announcement and release was 64 days. This was about 9 weeks or slightly more than 2 months. The gap between Min Min's original planned Amiibo wave and changed Amiibo wave was 56. Both are pretty close to the general "Ideal DLC gap" that we've seen in the past, averaging about two to two and a half months: February, April, June/July, September, November, December. Now, let's use this calendar calculator to determine something:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=09&d1=25&y1=2020&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=60&rec=

60 days before September 25th, the Japanese release of Joker and Hero is exactly July 27th. Not exactly rocket science but if we change this date to October 2nd, the new date becomes August 3rd. Coincidentally, both days are having Online Maintenance.
ObeseManOnLava working the numbers again.:ultpacman:

Seriously though, much appreciated FMOI, your resolve alone is admirable.

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Hope no one is too upset about the direct. It's not what we expected, but doesn't mean we should lose hope. Seems like the insiders/leakers were correct about the timing of the direct, but not which direct it was going to be. And hasn't that happened before, where information is correct but is mixed up? For all we know, this legendary direct with Mario remasters, new 1st party games and the Geno reveal is under wraps and could be dropped at any time.

Stay strong, Genobros. Nintendo is being frustrating, but it's no reason to lose hope or get angry at people.

MrMemeGod

Smash Rookie
If Geno got in smash. What would you think his victory animations would be?

(Outside of the obvious one he does in game with the nod)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.
Geno is a character that most of us have been rooting for since Melee. This was back when Super Mario RPG was still new at the time of Melee's release, being only five years old. Its why most people requested for characters like King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie because, yes, while they are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, they have been requested for Smash for ages, back when they were considered new at the time.

Basically what I'm saying is, despite being a one time spin off character from a 24 year old game, Geno is a character that we have wanted to see for almost 20 years now and we are still holding out hope for this character 20 years later.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

I actually made a full Geno moveset back in April, including ideas for his victory animations. So I’ll just link it here: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1AmKrQjhMtxIpGyyQ58vliak1UdqkmWwyWV1l1n4yB5o

(Should probably update the current chances section now that we have the ARMS character, but I don’t feel like it at the moment.)

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Obviously besides the nod, two other ideas I have for the victory pose is:
1: Geno runs up and "collects" a star piece, reminiscent of when Mario collects a star piece for the Star Road in SMRPG.
2: The Geno doll sits down as the star spirit escapes the body of the doll, ascending to the heavens, reminiscent of the ending of SMRPG when Geno leaves the party.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
We can't denigrate leakers for leaking while simultaneously applauding them for doing that very thing.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
No sympathy for leakers who are feeling frustrated/overwhelmed by the negative attention they get when people find out what actually happens.

You wanted attention, so you leaked sensitive data, and now you've got attention. If you don't like it, then don't leak it.
Kelios isn't frustrated nor overwhelmed because he got negative attention. He is frustrated and overwhelmed because people are harassing him because it wasn't the Direct they thought he was teasing. Harassing someone is NEVER okay whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom