• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I want to echo a thought mentioned earlier (at work, can’t find the post or who posted it), that all of the major insiders credible insiders came into today thinking this Direct was going to be “the BIG ONE”. And though that didn’t pan out, so many different insiders started being cheeky and posting Geno- and SMRPG-related tweets, comments and pictures.

Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I was here last year when Banjo was announced, and so many of the then-credible insiders suddenly started being cheeky and posting Banjo-related tweets, comments and pictures leading up to E3. Now, imagine what would have happened if E3 last year got split up into minis and the back half where Banjo was revealed was saved for a later mini, maybe a week or two down the line?

I feel like the same is happening here. The way Kelios implied it on Twitter, he was fully expecting this to be the Direct in its entirety, and he and the others were blindsided when it appears that the Direct was split up piecemeal. So with Kelios ‘saying the quiet part out loud’, you have all these insiders who likely were in the same boat as Kelios, so what happens in the lead up to E3: Delayed Edition?

Geno

Geno everywhere

And everybody got bamboozled as far as the Direct being what it was. That’s not their fault for Nintendo changing plans close enough to release that they didn’t hear anything about it through their networks. But what they did hear evidently led them to believe/know that Geno is coming to Smash and so they played the Banjo game again.

So we’re in for a good time, even if it’s not today. We’ve waited for over two years now since Ultimate was announced to get Geno, what’s another week or two in the scheme of things? As frustrating as it may be, we’re hitting a fever pitch in terms things going in favor of Geno, so we just have to hold out a little while longer. And once he’s in, we won’t even care about the wait, because the reward is more than worth it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Cheer up yall! You think after years and years of waiting, us Waiting another month or two is that horrible? We got this... Grab a soda drink and a chocolate bar, treat yourself and carry on like the champs you all are and Fatmanonice, your still gonna be the go to guy in this thread dont worry, leaks and rumors arent law after all.
Another four months of being the internet's punching bag? No thanks

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One silver lining to all this is if Nintendo really is doing this episodic bull**** then a Mario Mini Direct is not only pretty much a lock but it's likely the next "episode" because, as Pinshadow has pointed out a few times, it was supposed to be it's own seperate thing at E3 2020 anyways.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Reading youtube comments/twitter is a trip right now. "They said it was a partner showcase why are people mad?" and it's like, yea, we knew it was that, we aren't mad because of the games they showed, were mad because they're holding this partner showcase in the first place when they have zero first party games announced for 2020 and this did nothing to fix it. We are literally in the exact same position we were yesterday, and where we were two months ago after Paper Mario got announced, sans SMT coming out in 2021 I guess.

It's just blatantly frustrating personally because for the past month since the Min Min presentation I've been deadset on this idea that Nintendo had to reveal stuff in July and literally everything that's happened over the last month pointed to that, yet now here we are now with Nintendo giving us that July announcement, but basically saying they have no direct at all for the rest of the year and all first-party announcements will probably be shadow dropped. The only reassurance we got today was more third party stuff in the future. That's my fault I suppose for hyping myself up but like, come on.

One silver lining to all this is if Nintendo really is doing this episodic bull**** then a Mario Mini Direct is not only pretty much a lock but it's likely the next "episode" because, as Pinshadow has pointed out a few times, it was supposed to be it's own seperate thing at E3 2020 anyways.
I've been considering that, I mean what's on the table for Mario right now? The collection, plus potentially a Sports Game and MK9. That's enough for a mini. But would they hold it so close? I mean if the collection IS out in September like people are implying then they have to do it soon right?

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So Skull Kid comes to Cadence of Hyrule before Smash eh? I do have some thoughts about today and overall I'm still in a good mood despite not getting any news I particularly care for in this mini.

SMT is obviously a big deal let's not act like it isn't. And honestly Cadence DLC is too. And after thinking about it. I kind of do get it if they'd want to have multiple of these mini directs and specific partner showcases. Even though the Switch has been out for awhile, let's not forget how much the Wii U struggled with third party content especially compared to the Switch. It's no wonder that Nintendo would want to celebrate these partnerships and really elevate them to the point of being the stars of their mini directs/directs. As someone else said, it's not really about us consumers unfortunately but it's not necessarily going to ignore us either it's just going to, for lack of a better phrase, string us along. But the point really is that from Nintendo's perspective they might not see it the same way (them not caring about fans or being sluggish with reveals) because they know the bigger picture and they have some ideas for how to slowly reveal this picture to us.

Of course the ended the presentation saying stay tuned for more of these presentations which unfortunately I think could go one of two ways: either this is just a generic sign off remark and there really isn't much to look forward to or there are more things to look forward to. Unfortunately either of these scenarios seems equally plausible. I'm pretty sure more info is to come though. I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing what Nintendo has in store. I honestly really do agree with Icewolf that Covid likely has affected Nintendo and while games may be on schedule it's possible reveal schedules were altered as a result to leave less room for error in release dates.

And I mean really nothing bad happened. We got more information for games and Geno's chances to get in Smash were not altered in any negative (or positive) way.

I think leakers have at least some legitimate information and it was a classic case of overconfidence based on strong information that ended up not coming to fruition...today but may still come to light in the next couple of months in unexpected spread out announcements because Nintendo has to Nintendo (honestly it's probably just a lot easier for them to manage smaller showcases like this opposed to bigger ones with more moving parts). Anyway, Fatman deserves absolutely no negativity thrown his way. Fatman has stated time and time again that he is just speculating based on what he knows and that he trusts the information coming from certain leakers based on what he knows but he can't be sure. Thanks for being a pillar of this community Fatman and dealing with all the crap you deal with. You're the man...the fat man.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Lol glad I don't listen to video game news as much now

I slept like a baby because of that

But really people are so are some what jumping the gun it's separated in to multiples parts

Yep last part will probably have are character 8

Last edited:

MrMemeGod

Smash Rookie
Even though this was the worst direct ever.

I honestly thought i'd be bummed out more than I am.

Like, imagine if every direct from here on out was extremely compressed and corrupted and always 144p. People screaming "LET'S GOOOO" at like 3 blue pixels. Now that's comedy gold.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm more disappointed in this partner show case not because ''Third party really?"

But rather what was shown of third party:

- DLC that could have easily just been a Twitter announcement
- A generic Apex Legends looking shooter.
- Chibi WWE Wrestling game

These 3 things being paired with Shin Megami was......

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
ItS bEcAuSE nInTeNdIEs aRe fOr MaNbAbIeS aNd ThEy GoTtA mAnBaBy.

I just hope Geno gets the band-aid ripped soon cause I am absolutely done with dealing with most of the internet in general le Ebin bee tea eff oh culture.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Wooo Mario Mini Monday let’s goooo

*sigh* ngl guys even I’m having a hard time at this point

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Something just came to my mind, not quite related but semi: we always should take everything insiders say with a grain of salt, at all times, because remember what they said about Origami King being 'back to form' for Paper Mario, then it turns out it's ****ing not (even the director told classic fans to have an open mind, a.k.a. **** your feedback), that info was from the devteam/employees who are so tone deaf they deemed it 'back to form', so perspectives don't always line up depending on the source the info comes from, or like in this case collide like two oncoming trains.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nintendo's shortest turn around from announcement to release of major, physically released games is about 5-6 weeks for both Labo VR and Ring Fit, and both of those are the kinds of casual-oriented products Nintendo just tends to drop out of nowhere. I think the shortest modern Big Game to Release turn around is still Origami King at 9 weeks. So in otherwords, if they have ANYTHING physical out in August this week is the deadline for that. September is more shaky but they still only have a few weeks to actually do something.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You know how Brawl has a Mario music file in its code called "snd_bgm_A12_MORINOKINOKO" with the Japanese phrase translating to "Forest Mushrooms", which could've been the music from Toadwood Forest from one of the Mario & Luigi games... or, possibly some version of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms? You also know how unused voice clips from previous games (like Captain Falcon's "COME ON, BLUE FALCON!" line) have been reused in later games?

Imagine if Geno's reveal trailer plays and has a remix of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms... and then, during the gameplay presentation, Sakurai says that that wasn't just any remix, but was specifically a remix that was intended for Brawl if Geno made the cut, then got shelved when things didn't work out, and is now being brought back for Geno's grand return... how ****ing wild would that be?

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I know people are disappointed in today's Mini, but I went in with zero expectations and am hyped to hell at SMT V. This direct exceeded my expectations after Nintendos tweet last night LOL.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have to say, I wasn't so shattered, and the episodic thing did not get me down as much as it should have, but still; this sucks.

Not going to blame anyone, including Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the insiders here, though.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Something just came to my mind, not quite related but semi: we always should take everything insiders say with a grain of salt, at all times, because remember what they said about Origami King being 'back to form' for Paper Mario, then it turns out it's ****ing not (even the director told classic fans to have an open mind, a.k.a. **** your feedback), that info was from the devteam/employees who are so tone deaf they deemed it 'back to form', so perspectives don't always line up depending on the source the info comes from, or like in this case collide like two oncoming trains.
it is though. Partners are back (even though it’s temporary)

battling system is inspired by the first 2 games
A theatre like TTYD

A story like TTYD

it’s not a full on return to form but it’s definitely a return to form therefore the leakers were right

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know people are disappointed in today's Mini, but I went in with zero expectations and am hyped to hell at SMT V. This direct exceeded my expectations after Nintendos tweet last night LOL.
The impression I got was "no new games" from the tweet, and we got new games. So I'm overall pleased.

It helps the WWE game looks completely hilarious and fun. Too bad I don't do mobile gaming. Albeit, even if I did, the only thing it needs to please me is a character creator. That's what makes the WWE games the best for me. I have all the N64 ones, and a few from other consoles.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Another four months of being the internet's punching bag? No thanks
This. I'm so sick of strawmen and harassment sent our way.
You guys don't deserve any of this

Edit: I retracted my earlier remarks upon further reflection. I apologies for coming off as toxic and flamming other groups/fans.

Last edited:

protoblues

Smash Cadet
Enjoyed the mini and am excited for more Cadence of Hyrule remixes to listen to and SMT V being real again. Not much news for us as Geno fans though. Just when is that Mario direct coming?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Though initially disappointing, I think things should start picking up soon. The new tab is removed from the Smash site indicating a reveal is imminent. Insiders have teased there's a lot of big games on the horizon. Some insiders seem to be dancing around Geno and Mario RPG. Kelios seemed to imply another First Party direct. And as some users here pointed out, the name July Showcase implies we probably won't get one till next month at least. We still have roughly 2 full weeks of July left so to be optimistic, hopefully we'll get some bigger news soon

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You guys don't deserve any of this and it's always the same group of fake Smash Bros fans that do this. The Joker/FE mains and fans.

My motivation to keep playing is to stomp every Joker/Weeb fan so hard in Smash Bros so hard to the point they are never gonna want to play/associate with Smash Bros ever again.

I'm gonna go galaxy brain on their barbie doll looking characters with all the so called cereal box mascots. lol
isnt it a bit much to paint all Joker/FE mains and fans as ones going at you? It would be better to get mad at those idividuals then the whole fandom of the characters. I know your fandom has been clowned on but is doing this to them gonna send a good message or make people clown on you harder?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
You guys don't deserve any of this and it's always the same group of fake Smash Bros fans that do this. The Joker/FE mains and fans.

My motivation to keep playing is to stomp every Joker/Weeb fan so hard in Smash Bros so hard to the point they are never gonna want to play/associate with Smash Bros ever again.

I'm gonna go galaxy brain on their barbie doll looking characters with all the so called cereal box mascots. lol
Persona 5 fans (NOT any Persona fans before that game) are the most toxic fanbase I have ever met. Every person that has a Joker profile picture or some resemblance has turned out to be a horrific person in some way or another. Not even joking with that.

Trust me when I say this, though: I don't think FE fans are at fault here. Persona 5 fans are RABID, to the point they'll send people death threats.

Videos like these illustrate that perfectly.

Heoj

Smash Ace

i think you probably shouldn't generalize the "weeb fans" as geno haters, cuz it isn't going to stop people throwing **** at us.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Get some air, man.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The p5 fans that only learend about Joker from smash( basically the new fans) are the worst fans, the ones that knew about Persona already dont assosiate ourselves with them lol You should see p5 fans clown on the "fans" that send those stupid Calling cards on twitter

But leave your hate for FE out of your rants because we didnt do anything to you

Last edited:

Monue

Smash Apprentice
>.> I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan hoping that the anime themed protagonist Isaac gets in to smash, and I love playing Persona and secondary main Joker... But I also want Geno to get in, and I haven't attacked anyone? Why are we attacking one another and generalizing at all?

Last edited:

MrMemeGod

Smash Rookie
You can get the same point across without painting with such a broad brush. It doesn't matter who mains who. What matters is if the person themselves is bad or good. That's it.

You can main k.rool or banjo or (hopefully someday) Geno. and still be the worst person on the planet. Mains don't determine anything nor does a fan of a series.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's best not to make broad, sweeping generalizations about what "types" of fans don't want Geno in. People can still support Geno while liking Persona 5, or Fire Emblem, or what have you.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
A fan base that goes on and on incessantly about how other fanbases generalize and marginalize its members has absolutely no right to do the same thing in return.

Y’all are better than that.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, how is everyone holding out here? Is everyone good now because it seems a lil bit more calmer now. Now all we gotta do is wait for the next mini direct
I suppose so? I'm really just wondering where we even go from here. General Directs seem dead for the time being due to this whole "Partner Showcase" being a recurring thing for the next few months it seems. It really brings into question what Nintendo is doing for first party announcements. Are they really going to just shadowdrop everything on Twitter like Origami King? How does it make sense for them to feel the need to promote the reveal of third party stuff ahead of time with directs but not their own game reveals?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It’s funny in hindsight how absolutely hyped I was last night, wow.

But if this really is the chopped up remains of the E3 direct, set to be released on a weekly (or monthly?) basis, then maybe we’ll get some cool stuff soon? Maybe? Possibly? Please?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
So, how is everyone holding out here? Is everyone good now because it seems a lil bit more calmer now. Now all we gotta do is wait for the next mini direct
The feeling of it all being a fever dream caused by overhype is starting to calm down. Seriously, I still can't believe that Atlus showed SMTV and Nocturne HD in the same direct, and that they are both for 2021 with V getting a worldwide release.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Flaming

Okay you can **** off with that. As a Joker/Fe fan who wants Geno most of all, I can tell you this is objectively false. Can we stop trying to make fire emblem the bad guy for literally everything? "Fire Emblem is responsible for Geno hate! Fire Emblem is responsible for Banjo hate! Fire emblem is responsible for modern paper Mario!" These are all real examples. Don't complain about people ****ting on your fanbase and then **** on them in the same breath, especially when it's a completely false sweeping generalization anyway.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ah, now I remember why I don’t go here when speculation quiets down! People unironically saying that their goal is to exclude me and people like me from wanting anything to do with their series!

As a Joker main, I’ve now seen hate from both the threads of my most wanted characters, and that genuinely sucks. I want to see Geno and Chief make it in this pass without being bombarded by the whole “your main shouldn’t have gotten in” bull**** that this thread itself faces constantly.

(And besides, it’s not Persona and FE fans that you should worry about here, not at all, because there’s an important distinction: They already got their characters. No specific fanbase is even to blame, it’s all the collective bad seeds of every major request that isn’t in the game yet that’s the issue, as Geno is wrongly seen as a “waste of a slot”. While the people who genuinely want other characters like Chief and Sora and are completely civil about it are many, it’s that vocal minority that we notice the most.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom