• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset because yes, Nintendo's been very poor at communicating information this entire year and some transparency would go a long way. But I have to say, what did you expect? Once it was announced on Twitter we all knew this was going to be a ten minute presentation focused solely on already announced third party games. This honestly was more than I expected because I was fully prepared for ten minutes of Bakugan. SMTV finally getting a proper showcase is huge.

"But the insiders said" I hear people yelling. No insider in infallible. We heard directly from Nintendo what this presentation was gonna be like. And now Kelios is being harassed off of Twitter and leaking in general because Nintendo fans are screaming infants taking out their frustrations on them. Even Kelios seems shocked at what was announced.

This is what is meant when people say "hype responsibly" and yet every time some says it it's met with comments of "don't tell me what to do". And now those same people are throwing tantrums over video game commercials. Again I'm not trying to excuse Nintendo's poor communication and seemingly lack of anything to show this year. But I swear Nintendo fans set themselves up for disappointment and then bully people off social media when they don't get what they want.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So... Let me get this straight... Nintendo took a perfectly amazing, possibly LEGENDARY, E3 Direct, chopped it into four videos, and is basically going to make it an episodic thing for the next three weeks...

On the bright side, if that's true, at least we know we're getting something next week... and if Kelios is right about a first-party Direct coming shortly after, hopefully we'll get something better next week.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
what’s less than nothing? Do we need to give their games back to be less?
"We're sorry to announce that Banjo's licence for Smash has expired, and will be removed from the game. Please understand."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, the outrage wouldn't have been so bad if there had been at least ONE hype thing in the entire presentation.
You got SMTV and a SMT III Remake.

That's your hype thing.

I don't even like SMT, but I acknowledge its a big deal even if it doesn't appeal to me.

It essentially carried the whole thing.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'd say its a three part problem.

• Nintendo is in an announcement lull, causing the fanbase to get frustrated.
  • Leakers well leaks things they've heard. Fans expectations go higher than they would have otherwise.
  • Nintendo releases news as they intended, but its doesn't live up to the hype and fans go ape ****.

None of the above parties are really to blame. It's just a vicious cycle we're all stuck in.
I think the biggest problem is just Nintendo's total lack of transparency. That is the root problem that causes leakers to even be a thing people pay attention to and why people are continually feeling disappointed. If they even gave rough month-long windows for when to expect directs or information ahead of time then people wouldn't go nearly as crazy and the pressure wouldn't be on them. I don't condone giving hate to insiders who are just trying to give us something to look forward to at all. Nintendo has ****ing bungled this entire year big time so far and I do believe it will pay off and they have games, but the way they go about this stuff shoots themselves in the foot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset because yes, Nintendo's been very poor at communicating information this entire year and some transparency would go a long way. But I have to say, what did you expect? Once it was announced on Twitter we all knew this was going to be a ten minute presentation focused solely on already announced third party games. This honestly was more than I expected because I was fully prepared for ten minutes of Bakugan. SMTV finally getting a proper showcase is huge.

"But the insiders said" I hear people yelling. No insider in infallible. We heard directly from Nintendo what this presentation was gonna be like. And now Kelios is being harassed off of Twitter and leaking in general because Nintendo fans are screaming infants taking out their frustrations on them. Even Kelios seems shocked at what was announced.

This is what is meant when people say "hype responsibly" and yet every time some says it it's met with comments of "don't tell me what to do". And now those same people are throwing tantrums over video game commercials. Again I'm not trying to excuse Nintendo's poor communication and seemingly lack of anything to show this year. But I swear Nintendo fans set themselves up for disappointment and then bully people off social media when they don't get what they want.
I think this is kinda different. We were expecting a normal Direct, not something like this.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Guys, we should probably thank Kelios for his information on his account. I didn't like the Direct, but we should at least show him some appreciation for getting the dates/times for these directs accurately

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

That's your hype thing.

I don't even like SMT, but I acknowledge its a big deal even if it doesn't appeal to me.

That was cool, but they should've been clearer with the message. They managed expectations better with the Bakugan Treehouse than this: that's my issue right now.
Guys, we should probably thank Kelios for his information on his account. I didn't like the Direct, but we should at least show him some appreciation for getting the dates/times for these directs accurately
Yeah, send good positive messages to him. Let's use our power for something good.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
what’s less than nothing? Do we need to give their games back to be less?
You read my mind. I see the post and think to myself, "Really? Nintendo fans can get LESS?" Well then, I guess if they don't like money, I as the consumer can simply give them the giant middle finger and move on. Oh, and slide them a copy of How to **** Your Company into the Ground by Konami.

That's your hype thing.

It's great that SMT means something to somebody, but it doesn't to me. And judging by the almost universal ire out there right now, I don't quite think it was enough to effectively carry the presentation. Maybe it was SUPPOSED to, but I really don't think it did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lolxd this direct is exactly why god doesn't exist or Nintendo would have been smote by now.
When your name translates to "leave luck to Heaven" you're basically implying that you're pretty certain God's in your corner so I think they'll be ok.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If there was maintenance today, and we’re getting similar maintenance for the coming weeks, then it seems we may very well be getting various smaller presentations. Perhaps we won’t have to wait too long for some hype, but of course some of the hype announcements like the Mario stuff could be coming in September...

edit: Nothing about Steveposting was good. As someone who loves Steve, Banjo and Kazooie, seeing Steve treated as a villain for Banjo to beat up really sucked. At least further stuff made up for it by having Steve help Banjo beat up the imposter Grotesque Steve and there was artwork of Steve and Banjo being friends. Admittedly the grotesque render was funny at first and still kind of is tbh, but now it’s just a symbol of unnecessary hatred and dumb crap, a lot of people having flung crap toward real Steve fans because of it (albeit the people flinging crap are far outnumbered by genuine fans so whatever I suppose).

Also, I'll talk to some people in private about it but the Cadence is a big deal too and points to certain things in the future.
Skull Kid fans rise up!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That was cool, but they should've been clearer with the message. They managed expectations better with the Bakugan Treehouse than this: that's my issue right now.
I mean, they made it clear it would be third party oriented. Or at least they tried.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm also a little confused as to why they didn't show some of the JP games in the US Mini. Sakuna, for example, is being released in the US (and is the #1 game I've been looking forward to for a year now, hah): https://store.xseedgames.com/product/sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin/ .

I imagine there's some sort of 1st party Direct / Mini coming sometime soon. Nintendo has to know where their revenue is coming from, and it's not Chibi Wrestling.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So... Let me get this straight... Nintendo took a perfectly amazing, possibly LEGENDARY, E3 Direct, chopped it into four videos, and is basically going to make it an episodic thing for the next three weeks...

That's about my reaction.

Also, hey Fatman, we ain't best buds or close pals or anything obviously, but thanks for everything you do man. You and Zell and Kelios and the others like y'all. I don't know if you have a way to contact them directly, but really, thank you guys. You do keep the hope going, and you do keep our spirits up. I don't know if it'll ease your mind or help you sleep better, but it is sincerely appreciated.

Because I can only speak for myself here, if nothing else, you've been keeping and are keeping me, at least one person, really hopeful and excited over news to come.
Get some fresh air, rest your eyes, and don't sweat Nintendo's weird choices. Same goes for all the other leakers, man.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I'd say its a three part problem.

• Nintendo is in an announcement lull, causing the fanbase to get frustrated.
  • Leakers well leaks things they've heard. Fans expectations go higher than they would have otherwise.
  • Nintendo releases news as they intended, but its doesn't live up to the hype and fans go ape ****.

None of the above parties are really to blame. It's just a vicious cycle we're all stuck in.
Absolutely agree with this. However, I don't believe we'd be in quite this state as a community without that second part, which is what I'm trying to say. Leakers influence is a net negative on a community! We're going to go through a week of turmoil at least over this. I totally understand being frustrated with nintendo, but the impact of their releases wouldn't be quite as bad without the hype train rolling like mad.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You read my mind. I see the post and think to myself, "Really? Nintendo fans can get LESS?" Well then, I guess if they don't like money, I as the consumer can simply give them the giant middle finger and move on. Oh, and slide them a copy of How to **** Your Company into the Ground by Konami.

They meant that fans shouldn't attack the insiders...

Dude, halt thy rage boner and read the posts you're complaining about.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely agree with this. However, I don't believe we'd be in quite this state as a community without that second part, which is what I'm trying to say. Leakers influence is a net negative on a community! We're going to go through a week of turmoil at least over this. I totally understand being frustrated with nintendo, but the impact of their releases wouldn't be quite as bad without the hype train rolling like mad.
On the contrary, I'd feel much more bitter/less hopeful about Nintendo this year if it weren't for people like Kelios and Fatman being so confident that good stuff is coming.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Man, if I had told my past self that the worst thing Nintendo has ever put under the "direct" label would not be E3 2015 or February 2019, I'd have thought I was bull****ting myself.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
On the contrary, I'd feel much more bitter/less hopeful about Nintendo this year if it weren't for people like Kelios and Fatman being so confident that good stuff is coming.
I'm not saying they are, but for the sake of argument, what if they're wrong? I can't believe you won't be more devastated to learn they're wrong, than you would be if you'd never had that expectation to begin with.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe the split into multiple mini directs to allow things to breath? If the insiders are right about them having a lot to share that could cause hype that's the only thing that really makes sense to me, but in the end I feel it just makes it worse personally.

Like once Shin Megami showed up the other 3 announcements just kind of became overshadowed completely.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
There are 4 main problems in total:
- Time was not well spent (only 5 games in total)
- Didn't do anything to keep expectations in check like usual
- Not announcing it 24 hours in advance: Treehouse was revealed a lot earlier, told who the developer was and managed expectations + letting time to sink in.
- Not branding as a SMTV focus Direct with other small things: Nocturne would've still been a nice surprise and expectations would've adjusted better.
Nintendo's messaging is REALLY, REALLY bad right now and that's the true issue at hand over everything that's been happening today.

Firox

Smash Master

They meant that fans shouldn't attack the insiders...

Dude, halt thy rage boner and read the posts you're complaining about.
That wasn't explicitly stated in their post, and even if it was, the picture was insinuating that Nintendo fans deserved less from Nintendo. Maybe you should halt thy contrarian boner and read my posts before complaining about them.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I´m laughing that this might even be considered a positive foresight of the monday´s direct at this point.

Well, aside from the hazing of a particular bull**** optimistic user in this thread and natedrake losing his **** on resetera. We should speculate on the possible direct contents with REALISTIC expectations:
RogueCompany is one of them. Doom eternal release date is another.
Possible; SMT v. We need at least one niche exciting announcement. My bet is on this one. Haven´t heard **** from Atlus on this title.
Not betting on Kamiya´s Bayo cause he´s probably still busy.
I'm going to be a smug prick and say I'd called it!

D

Deleted member

The direct has 42K likes and 40K dislikes. Learn that Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That wasn't explicitly stated in their post, and even if it was, the picture was insinuating that Nintendo fans deserved less from Nintendo. Maybe you should halt thy contrarian boner and read my posts before complaining about them.
They were quoting another post.

You're taking the wrong thing thing from that post.

Heck even Fatman liked it. It was pro insider, not anti consumer!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I already have, for the third time this week, because the dude doesn't deserve any hate. People are taking their anger out on him and they're so stupid and shortsighted. Now he's not gonna give us anything else. Toxic fans being toxic as usual.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying they are, but for the sake of argument, what if they're wrong? I can't believe you won't be more devastated to learn they're wrong, than you would be if you'd never had that expectation to begin with.
Eh, I'd say that's a different issue though. From what people are saying, it sounds like leakers have been right about the existence of the direct and right about games that Nintendo is making, but incorrectly assumed that these things went together. Incorrect assumptions based on incomplete information is one thing, them being completely wrong about games existing at all would be a whole different problem.

Edit: Heck, they didn't even guarantee what would be in the direct. It was more "I've heard good things and I've heard a direct, so maybe they line up, who knows."

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I get why people are disappointed but given the fact that insiders are so pissed/dumbfounded and that there are going to be more installments of these minis I have a feeling that the hype was warranted. They clearly were teasing at genuine things. But Nintendo likely decided last minute not to do that so the things they were hinting at didn’t get shown.
But if that’s true and so many people were hinting at Geno.........

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like if these mini directs happen biweekly or maybe monthly, it could be really cool.

But that would require constant streams of information and I'm not confident on that.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm just genuinely confused what Nintendo is thinking. We know more big games coming to Switch that AREN'T releasing in 2020 than ones that are.

Did they just decide 2020 was a wash after everything went down? Are we really going to go the next two months atleast without a major release FROM ANYONE on Switch? Because we sure as hell ain't getting anything in August, and the fact they seem to be making more of these implies there's no big general direct actually planned right now.

I get why people are disappointed but given the fact that insiders are so pissed/dumbfounded and that there are going to be more installments of these minis I have a feeling that the hype was warranted. They clearly were teasing at genuine things. But Nintendo likely decided last minute not to do that so the things they were hinting at didn’t get shown.
But if that’s true and so many people were hinting at Geno.........
See my thing with these mini's is that they are clearly branding the format for THIRD PARTIES. Which is fine but it just begs the question where the first party stuff will be then.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Three weeks seems optimistic. Given that this was called the July 2020 partner showcase, I'm guessing this will be spread out over the next three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom