• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I am a bit ticked off. The announcement happens but it's all games we've already heard about? is this just a terrible translation? Smash is "already out" but are we not getting any new reveals? That's better than nothing but still.

Are more directs gonna be announced tommorow? I feel like that's the only plausible reason these claims make sense

domriver

Smash Lord
On a realistic thing, Smash Ultimate is literally a previously-announced thing.

...But on a serious note, I don't expect a Smash reveal during it as is. Fairly disappointing, but only cause I'd have liked it a bit longer. I was already good with no Smash announcement, but it sounds like there won't be anything but news for already known games. BOTW 2 alone would be nice, though.
Its kinda what I was thinking. But 10 minutes meh.. At least we have SOMETHING to look forward to. Who knows this may be good after all. Get some rest people. Lets check this out in 9 hours and 30 minutes. xP :)

EDIT 2:
To put a little more perspective on this my fellow Geno Bros. Previously announced games. The Following fall in the realms of previously announced:
BOTW 2
Bayonetta 3
Smash Ultimate
Braverly Default 2
Metroid Prime 4.

These 4 with the exception of Smash (due to DLC) have technically been announced already. We could get more information on these. Just a thought. Its just the 10 minute i dont like bleh.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Lordy guys, I get that this was lower expectations than we were given, but can we at least wait and see WHAT is in this before we start throwing people under buses? Could be the best 10 minutes of our lives for all we know.

I'm not expecting it to be, but still.

Droodle

Smash Lord
PLOT TWIST: Guys, we got it all wrong, it's backwards!
Now I'm somewhat optimistic, though this is a good "Nintendo, read the room please".
Even if that is the case, I doubt it'll be "big" titles, more likely smaller or mid tier titles from external Nintendo partners. The shot of us getting a Smash reveal is also extremely low, as usually a full blown trailers takes 2-3 minutes long.

Unless we get another... ARMS-esque reveal... NINTENDO DON'T DO IT.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So you're essentially faulting me for the same thing as GameXplain, Imran Khan, Nathan Drake, King Zell, Zippo, Kelios, Jeff Grubb, etc? How about let's wait and see what actually happens first?
Agreed. I am sure Fatmanonice is not to blame for this.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
At this point I'm pretty sure the "Our development hasn't been delayed" was just a PR move and Mario remasters/BOTW 2/Mario Kart 9/Whatever their 2020 title was has been delayed, but they can say nothing was delayed since it's not like we can read Nintendo's minds.

Was prob a trick to keep investors happy tbh.
Okay I'm upset too, but this? This makes no sense.

''We'll just lie to the investors that are vitally important to our company!"

Yeah, that will go over REAL well for Nintendo.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Rereading the tweet, here's what I take out of it.
  • On 7/20 we'll debut the first #NintendoDirect Mini: Partner Showcase, a series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners.
THIS is saying exactly what this new format is. Basically a showcase from them to show titles from their third party partners similar to how they do the indie directs I guess.
  • We'll share a few updates on a small group of previously-announced #NintendoSwitch games.
THIS is saying what they are showing in this specific presentation, nothing but updates on previously announced games. Nothing in this tweet indicated anything first party happening AT ALL. Hell, the fact they specify previously announced means we probably aren't getting ANYTHING NEW. Expect stuff like the Doom Eternal release date or Moon RPG getting localized. Probably NMH3 as well, maybe Bayonetta 3, and if hell freezes over we might get a frame of SMT V.

Just, god damn it Nintendo, I am dead. A single first party game. It's not hard.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"Let's wait"
"No, I didn't say anything big was gonna happen at the game awards."
"No, I didn't know that this was only gonna be 10 minutes"

Fatmonice, I get you want Geno. I don't doubt that a Smash reveal is coming. But we have to accept these people got it severely WRONG.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I doubt this will happen, but isn't there the chance of a "stay tuned after the direct for a presentation from Mr.Sakurai!" like when Banjo's release date got announced?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Speedrun disappointment any% :ultpacman:

Nintendo have been slacking this year. Animal Crossing, a Xenoblade remake, and a Paper Mario game that's split far from the series' beginnings. They've gotta have something, yeah?

Staarih

Smash Master
Wouldn’t ”development partners” include first party games too (Retro etc, not that we’ll see MP4 but an example). I wouldn’t count them out completely, but then again 10 minutes is kinda short so I could see them focus on third party only. Bravely Default III, NMH3 and hipefully Bayo 3 finally.

At least some of them have to come soon as there are no current release dates for any games for the rest of the year yet.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"Let's wait"

Fatmonice, I get you want Geno. I don't doubt that a Smash reveal is coming. But we have to accept these people got it severely WRONG.
I'd hate to be that guy, but this was the insiders that did it first. Just leave him alone.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Okay I'm upset too, but this? This makes no sense.

''We'll just lie to the investors that are vitally important to our company!"

Yeah, that will go over REAL well for Nintendo.
It's not a lie until we know it's a lie, and unless you go to Nintendo HQ, you can't confirm it's a lie.

You should check out Mario Kart Tour if you think Nintendo is above dabbling into some bad practices time to time.

Edit: Either that or it wasn't a lie because they never had anything planned for holiday 2020, or there are 6 trillion games coming out this year and they are just extremely incompetent at marketing, none of these reflect well on them tbh.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Welp, probs no smash... Thatvreally sucks...

I swear if we dont see nmh3 or bayonetta 3 ill be pissed...

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I think it's worth pointing out that Kelios (dude who got the direct announcement date down to the minute) is saying on Twitter that it's 1st and 3rd party coverage:

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Look, I'm 100% sure Fatman didn't intentionally mislead anyone. If he thought something different was going to happen and it didn't (yet), then he's in the exact same position as the rest of us.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Welp, probs no smash... Thatvreally sucks...

I swear if we dont see nmh3 or bayonetta 3 ill be pissed...
The way the tweet was worded makes me think games like Bayo 3 and NMH3 are incredibly likely to make appearances.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I'm hopeful that there's more here than we expect. Kelios and Zippo seemed confident that we'd have good stuff, Tiffany Treadmore is insisting there's more than we expect, and Fatman's been confident that some amazing stuff is in the works. I'm emotionally prepared for this to be a complete nothing, but I'm willing to trust that something better is coming soon.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think it's worth pointing out that Kelios (dude who got the direct announcement date down to the minute) is saying on Twitter that it's 1st and 3rd party coverage:

I'm taking Nintendo's word over any leakers at this point. I'm assuming what happened (which is how this direct stuff tends to get out) is that one of the third parties involved leaked something out somehow that indicated a direct was happening in some capacity, and they just assumed it meant it had to be atleast a normal mini because they've never done something like this before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"Let's wait"

Here's the thing though, you're talking about a lot of professionals that got things horribly, horribly wrong if nothing major happens this week. These are people in the industry. Imran Khan is not some dude off the street. That's the thing here. This isn't Sabi doing a swing and a miss for the VGAS. This is virtually every professional who has reported on major Nintendo news in the last two years.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Look, I'm 100% sure Fatman didn't intentionally mislead anyone. If he thought something different was going to happen and it didn't (yet), then he's in the exact same position as the rest of us.
I'm not mad at fatman necessarily i'm mad at all the people who mislead us and Fatman

Onibaud

Smash Rookie
just saw the mini direct annoucement, my thought is that they wil not reveal the next smash character directly, but will give a date for the reveal of the next smash character, because the direct do not last that long.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think it's too early to completely write this off. Will it be the big fish it's been teased to be? hell no but that doesn't mean they can't have an announcement worth 10 minutes of our time. Lets let it play out before pulling out the pitchforks.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
If there were 1st party announcements tho, why not just call it a regular Mini Direct? Why would they go seemingly out of their way to temper expectations?

And really even best case scenario 10 mins is only enough for like... 1 first game game trailer.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Also, here's the thing...

This is massive ****ing speculation and will probably be wrong, but what if it's just the Japanese Direct that is 10 minutes?

I know that's weird ****ing logic, but we have had directs with different content depending on the reigon in the past. Shulk was revealed in a Japan-only one. If Japanese publishers maybe just don't have as much to show off, maybe we'll be padded out by Indies and such...?

I dunno. I'm probably wrong. Either way we just wait now.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm putting my seething aside and I'm going to be cautiously optimistic

Droodle

Smash Lord
Just for some optimism. If we count out purely 1st party subsidiaries and Nintendo itself, these companies could also be considered partners.

partner.jpg

Who knows if we'll get anything from them specifically though. I'd still expect a traditional "starting" on their next "big" thing (BD 2, I'm guessing) and ending on something that 's coming later (either a surprise announcement or NMH3/Bayo etc).

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Here's the thing though, you're talking about a lot of professionals that got things horribly, horribly wrong if nothing major happens this week. These are people in the industry. Imran Khan is not some dude off the street. That's the thing here. This isn't Sabi doing a swing and a miss for the VGAS. This is virtually every professional who has reported on major Nintendo news in the last two years.
Then let them crash and burn, take that solace that everyone was wrong this time. Why the hell would Nintendo hold a third party showcase if they had plans to hold a normal direct or some kind of other presentation only a few days later? How does that even add up?

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this is just the ruthless optimist in me, but this is actually kinda fun the more I think about it. Well, assuming we get better stuff this week like all the insiders are predicting. We thought we were closing in on the end of our tale and then boom! big third act twist! Can the Genbros conquer this new bout of Nintendo stupidity? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I know we're all feeling let down and disappointed, and fed up with Nintendo's antics (to say the least). But I think personally the best thing to do now is just wait and see what happens. Let's give this direct a chance tomorrow and see how things unfold. We can't just write it off.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just for some optimism. If we count out purely 1st party subsidiaries and Nintendo itself, these companies could also be considered partners.

View attachment 279385
Who knows if we'll get anything from them specifically though. I'd still expect a traditional "starting" on their next "big" thing (BD 2, I'm guessing) and ending on something that 's coming later (either a surprise announcement or NMH3/Bayo etc).
No man, they mean third party. Here's who Nintendo considers partners.

-rsgfwmy838f_1xj3gN6nbieVn-YYPRDsiz1L_hY64k.png

Just accept we aren't getting any first party stuff tomorrow and roll with it.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Oh you know what else we'll probably get is a Doom Eternal release date. Those are the sorts of announcements I'm expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom