• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Think about it this way--now that it's probably going to be a disappointment, it'll be way easier to get some sleep, aye?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here’s my take on the announcement tweet. Those are two separate sentences that contain two separate thoughts.

“a series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners” This is kind of what they were alluding too when they were saying they were reevaluating how directs would be presented. There may be smaller directs focused on specific partners/third parties. I think all the rumors about Microsoft are accurate, MCC for Switch, or even the fabled Game Pass/game streaming for Switch could be coming.

“We'll share a few updates on a small group of previously-announced #NintendoSwitch games” This is an entirely separate statement not connected to the first; this direct will have both a focus on outside partners/developers AND give updates on existing Nintendo titles. Super Smash Bros Ultimate is an existing Nintendo title...
10 minutes however amounts to a sizzle reel where you don't get much of any of the games focused even if this is the case. A common Smash trailer for example (if it's not just ''BTW Smash Figher from X Soon.") is typically 2 to 3 minutes long alone.

It just doesn't seem likely.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Only 10 minutes? That changes stuff. Welp. I hope it's many things shown instead of one thing.

Otherwise, you could have just said that it's a direct for that one thing instead of making it seem like it is a general type of direct (mini or otherwise).

IT'S SOMETHING, AT LEAST. Even if some people are saying it's worse than nothing. I disagree. At least we're not left with zero things. There's attention.

This could keep the company going forward when any eventual showcases are more 'broad' and 'informative' as the world settles down like that whole September thing with Third Party companies.

:bowser:.
It's BARELY something. A 10 minute presentation focused on nothing but previously announced third party games? When, I repeat, Nintendo has 0 (Z E R O) upcoming first party releases for 2020 right now? Come on.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
No need to call Fatman or anyone else out guys. As Fatman has said time and again sometimes real info gets muddled and doesn't match reality.

That being said...Nintendo Switch: we have games...just not ones you want or any that we made. Oh yeah, also, **** Geno.

Well anyway...goodnight all. This month may still have news for us yet. Don't lose hope.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I wonder if there will be another presentation announcement in the direct? Seems odd its only 10 minutes and we have no clue what the 2nd half of 2020 looks like
I mean, there are some games that we don´t know for certain about like Bayonetta 3, SMT for Switch, MP4, BOTW2... So in essence, we might hear about the rest of the year but its game that is already announced so to speak

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I really hope nobody expects anything huge out of this, ESPECIALLY not any Smash news.
They waited until the middle of the night to announce this tiny 10 minute youtube video premiere. I'm expecting maybe some Bayonetta 3 footage and some other small third party announcements and that's it.

Its becoming very obvious that Nintendo has absolutely nothing for the rest of the year which is a huge bummer and I have to wonder how it happened considering the great momentum the Switch had. Maybe the pandemic screwed stuff up, but I don't know. This has been a pretty bad year for Nintendo.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Here’s my take on the announcement tweet. Those are two separate sentences that contain two separate thoughts.

“a series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners” This is kind of what they were alluding too when they were saying they were reevaluating how directs would be presented. There may be smaller directs focused on specific partners/third parties. I think all the rumors about Microsoft are accurate, MCC for Switch, or even the fabled Game Pass/game streaming for Switch could be coming.

“We'll share a few updates on a small group of previously-announced #NintendoSwitch games” This is an entirely separate statement not connected to the first; this direct will have both a focus on outside partners/developers AND give updates on existing Nintendo titles. Super Smash Bros Ultimate is an existing Nintendo title...
They probably would have inserted an also just to make sure they were truly established as separate things so that probably means it's solely just the equivalent of a direct sizzle reel extended to 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds as much as I hate to say it

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'd honestly rather have nothing than to be led on to think something big will happen only for a 10 minute presentation on the Switch port for Life of Black Tiger.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really hope nobody expects anything huge out of this, ESPECIALLY not any Smash news.
They waited until the middle of the night to announce this tiny 10 minute youtube video premiere. I'm expecting maybe some Bayonetta 3 footage and some other small third party announcements and that's it.

Its becoming very obvious that Nintendo has absolutely nothing for the rest of the year which is a huge bummer and I have to wonder how it happened considering the great momentum the Switch had. Maybe the pandemic screwed stuff up, but I don't know. This has been a pretty bad year for Nintendo.
Pretty bad is an understatement. This might be Nintendo's worst year of all time.

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
If they don't announce a general direct at the end of this announcement I'm convinced we got nothing to look forward to until like September lmao.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Wait, I read it wrong! "Nintendo, read the room please"

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Is this really the time?
tumblr_nbtd6vW4zS1qdvp4lo3_250.gif

There's plenty to be excited about and I'm not just referring to Smash. A lot of this stuff has been a long time coming and I don't think anyone is being dishonest when they say it will definitely be worthwhile.
After today,some people are likely to move on while the Geno fanbase itself will move onto its next mountain.
there's bigger stuff coming tomorrow and just leave it at that.
"lmao calm down guys, just wait for the rest of the week"

Oldhead

Smash Rookie
is there ANY actual confirmation that it’s 10 minutes? Someone said “Japanese people online are saying it’s 10 minutes” and everyone has taken that as law

Trevenant

Smash Lord

It was definitely the pandemic tbh. And isn't Bayo 3 technically Nintendo? It's still Nintendo exclusive so they still should have published the game iirc

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
It's BARELY something. A 10 minute presentation focused on nothing but previously announced third party games? When, I repeat, Nintendo has 0 (Z E R O) upcoming first party releases for 2020 right now? Come on.
You know what? Now that I'm thinking about it. We might get Bakugan Type of titles being shown during the stream and considering how that went...

Ugh.

I didn't mind much but if it's something like that AGAIN, I am going to be distraught.

I just want to be slightly hopeful for good titles. Not necessarily Smash Bros (which COULD be shown) like what we're used to.

An ARMS like announcement could be seen with a character from a series. Which like I said a couple of pages back, I WOULD NOT want.

This direct can go either way.

:bowser:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Pretty bad is an understatement. This might be Nintendo's worst year of all time.
The thing that confuses me the most is that for the first time in decades, Nintendo is developing for ONE console instead of two. They don't have to juggle a home console and a handheld anymore, so you'd think their output would have increased a bit.
I remember them mentioning that their development hasn't really been affected by the pandemic, so I really wonder what's going on.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
We got our Direct, but boy, it sure came with a Kong's paw.

What the hell is up with Nintendo? I'd understand if it's the pandemic, but they've gone on record to say that things have been on-track for the most part. They just literally have nothing. How do they manage to drop the ball this hard?

I'm not even mad tbh, I'm just kinda flummoxed and... ridiculously amused at the perceivable incompetence.
Nintendo senior staff probably still uses fax machines and carrier pigeons. To say that they would struggle with transitioning to working at home is an understatement. It's gonna be a long, long time till Nintendo gets on full steam again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
'Previously announced' because we all know Geno is coming, duh.
On a realistic thing, Smash Ultimate is literally a previously-announced thing.

...But on a serious note, I don't expect a Smash reveal during it as is. Fairly disappointing, but only cause I'd have liked it a bit longer. I was already good with no Smash announcement, but it sounds like there won't be anything but news for already known games. BOTW 2 alone would be nice, though.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Well hey, technically Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are all previously announced games. Right? Riiiiight? Yeah nah, we're probably not getting anything that exciting. I still believe Fatman when he says we have cool stuff coming up, but I'm not expecting to see said cool stuff in tomorrow's direct.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone's upset, but one thing to consider before we all get mad at Nintendo (not saying everyone is, just felt it's worth a mention incase people are inclined to)

While in theory they should have had things planned for E3, we don't know for sure the details on that. Some say they're on track, some say their marketing has fallen behind. From their point of view, they just dropped a little kernel for fans, the vast majority of which didn't expect anything. They didn't say they were going to reveal anything.

The issue here is that these dang leakers keep hyping heavily enfranchised fans up! Our expectations run wild based on vague rumors. I love leaks and speculation, but they're so often flat out wrong, or not quite right, that we (myself included) have to learn to take them with a grain of salt. We can't jump on the hype train and just go chugging full speed, no matter how legitimate things sound.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
inb4 "previously announced" means "according to GameStop, Geno was already announced"

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
While I've still not lost faith in Geno coming to Smash in light of everything that's happened. I'm not straying off the path, he's coming to Smash

But...

Yeah, no way a Smash reveal is happening tomorrow, they wouldn't drop it in a micro-direct that's more or less going to be shadowdropped because the announcement for it happened at midnight

Nintendo really has nothing for this entire year huh? I keep hoping they'll surprise us but they keep letting us down while Xbox and Sony plow ahead

Yay for more Bakugon-tier reveals I guess

1595219365580.png

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm pretty sure the "Our development hasn't been delayed" was just a PR move and Mario remasters/BOTW 2/Mario Kart 9/Whatever their 2020 title was has been delayed, but they can say nothing was delayed since it's not like we can read Nintendo's minds.

Was prob a trick to keep investors happy tbh.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

This is a 10-minute mini direct, not a 20-30 minute mini, with Nintendo already have a lot announced but have been silent for a while like BOTW2, SMT on Switch, and Bayonetta 3... Some new announcement is definitely not coming in a 10 minute long direct with a focus like they are claiming. Especially not a Smash Bros related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom