• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nintendo still hasn’t tweeted anything today...

And I see CP7 may not be Geno; oh well, we still got good stuff backing him up, and he could still be later if not next! At least something was heard, too, even if not concrete, so it’s probably safe to still be confident.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
As ***** as their predictions sound, they're probably right knowning our luck. GameXplain was on the non believing side when the Grinch Leak was going on and they were right. These guys might not be leakers, but they do have some connections with Nintendo.
They were right; they just approached and handled it lackluster which ended up strengthening Team Real.

A channel that typically makes a 45 minute analysis video from a 13 second clip. So here comes this 'leak' that's making the speculation scene explode overnight. Many Smash channels were discussing it, breaking it down and offering their take. Gameexplain........wasn't. Several days went by and nothing, which really stuck out to people. Then they refetence it, but its a two minute video where it quickly says its fake but in a minor dismissive tone, their 'proof' was weak (concerning the Banjo image, ironically, and that they found the source picture, but that was wrong) that even Team Fake called them out on it. Then they put their foot down and said they will not talk about this 'leak' anymore and people need to drop it. People found this to be very out of character for them and got suspicious. Then thinking of their Nintendo connections, many argued that they were told to bury it, making it look more legit to people.

Ultimately Gameexplain was right, but the way they reviewed it cane off as very strange.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like there's easier explanations for the sudden "pessimism":

-Certain people genuinely don't know.

-People are purposely trying to lower expectations for the full intended effect.

I'll point out GameXplain's recent prediction video and how it's basically the opposite of what they put out for the VGAs. For the VGAs, they had crazy over the top predictions and you want to know how many came true? Literally none. This recent prediction video is a lot more tame and doesn't really have anything that hasn't been hard leaked or super heavily implied already. It's a totally different approach. They hyped up something that was one of the most disappointing presentations last year and now they have tepid and safe predictions going into this Direct. I feel this is intentional and, honestly, good on them because the more people that go into tomorrow thinking it's going to be about as painful and awkward to watch as an old dog taking a dump, the better.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel like there's easier explanations for the sudden "pessimism":

-Certain people genuinely don't know.

-People are purposely trying to lower expectations for the full intended effect.

I'll point out GameXplain's recent prediction video and how it's basically the opposite of what they put out for the VGAs. For the VGAs, they had crazy over the top predictions and you want to know how many came true? Literally none. This recent prediction video is a lot more tame and doesn't really have anything that hasn't been hard leaked or super heavily implied already. It's a totally different approach. They hyped up something that was one of the most disappointing presentations last year and now they have tepid and safe predictions going into this Direct. I feel this is intentional and, honestly, good on them because the more people that go into tomorrow thinking it's going to be about as painful and awkward to watch as an old dog taking a dump, the better.
Thank you for speaking with sense, Fatman.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Here’s my hot take of the day - we won’t get a Smash reveal tomorrow if it’s a Mini Direct. I know that there’s not too much evidence to go off of but in the last one, only the fact that the character was from ARMS was revealed. Smash in my opinion is too big to just be thrown out there with no prior buildup.

At most I’m guessing it’s going to be an announcement of a Sakurai Presents where #7 is actually revealed. I think it’s probably the most likely outcome (besides maybe no Smash at all) if it really is a Mini Direct.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Let's just do a quick rundown.
  • Fighter 7 was 100% meant to be announced at E3
  • Likely out in September/Maybe October now according to the amiibo releases
  • The new tab being removed implies something getting revealed soon
  • Every single Nintendo presentation since Ultimates announcement has had something for Smash, even ones where they didn't explicitally reveal a character they still announced SOMETHING. There's no reason for them not to reveal something here and honestly no reason not to have a real trailer unlike ARMS either.
  • Sakurai stating development has mostly been proceeding smoothly due to it being DLC rather than a full game.
Plenty of stuff pointing towards them revealing 7 tomorrow, this idea we are going to get no Smash reveal until September is ludicrous. Now what seems clear about 7 itself?
  • Early on in the pass, implying either another first party or a third-party already present in Smash.
  • Again, was going to be at E3, implies someone reasonably big according to past precedent.
  • Hasn't leaked out in any meaningful way. Implies either a first-party, or at the very least a more secretive/obscure third party. Certainly not western, probably not Capcom either given their track record.
So that leaves us with...
  • Nintendo
  • Sega
  • Square Enix
  • Namco
SNK isn't getting anything else and I don't think Nintendo is too interested in adding Bill Rizer for Konami, unless they suddenly do a complete 180 on Bomberman. I know people will argue that Square would get leaked because of what happened last time but that was a complete mess of questionable sources and leaks that really shouldn't have come out in the first place. It's not like Cloud got leaked in Smash 4 anyway apart from one cryptic forum post.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As more and more hours go by, the more nervous I am that the supposed Direct tomorrow will be a shadowdropped Mini Direct. Their is nothing wrong with Minis, but I seriously don't wanna get spoiled with this Direct like I did with the last Direct. If that is the case, then I actually hope their ISN'T a Smash character revealed tomorrow, so that when they do reveal CP7, I can be surprised.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing I will say is that I'm excited about the upcoming Smash news is because how muddied the waters are. Last year, pretty much everyone specifically knew Hero and Banjo were coming. It wasn't a well kept secret. A week before their reveals I don't think it's a small exaggeration to say that most of the fanbase expected one or the other. Now it's a lot different. It's very obvious people aren't getting told the same things, making it confusing what's actually going to be shown. Without naming names, here's what I've been told to expect from different people I talk to:

-One third party character, will be accompanied by a new game announcement.

-Two third party characters, two separate trailers.

-A first party character and a third party character, same trailer.

-A first party character and a third party character, separate trailers.

That's a lot of different narratives and I don't think anybody 100% knows what's going to happen.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Another thing I will say is that I'm excited about the upcoming Smash news is because how muddied the waters are. Last year, pretty much everyone specifically knew Hero and Banjo were coming. It wasn't a well kept secret. A week before their reveals I don't think it's a small exaggeration to say that most of the fanbase expected one or the other. Now it's a lot different. It's very obvious people aren't getting told the same things, making it confusing what's actually going to be shown. Without naming names, here's what I've been told to expect from different people I talk to:

-One third party character, will be accompanied by a new game announcement.

-Two third party characters, two separate trailers.

-A first party character and a third party character, separate trailers.

That's a lot of different narratives and I don't think anybody 100% knows what's going to happen.
Pretty interesting stuff to say the least

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well, it seems not just GameXplain, but Nate appear unconvinced we're going to hear anything regarding Smash. I'll be honest; Not, uh. Feelin' all that great about the current prospects anymore.

View attachment 279238

EDIT: Further down the thread, just a couple minutes after this, Nate suggests if we do get more info, it'll likely just be an ARMS-esque teaser. Whoof.
If we are getting an arms-esque teaser, this is whats comes in mind
Another Pokemon charachter or another Zelda charachter. I would have said Fire Emblem as an alternative if we didn't have so many already. That type of presentation wouldn't work with Mario and DK franchise I would argue.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Blame Nintendo for starving us of information and conditioning us to expect nothing but the bare mininum.
This is really the only reason. If Nintendo didn't suck at communicating with their client-base, this would be SO much different. You dont see anyone complaining about xbox or sony because at least they have actually tried to communicate even for the minimum of news through the year.
The way Nintendo is behaving is giving me PTSD on how much I had to wait for Final Fantasy VII Remake news after like 4 years lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Bros, go play some other games, I know you all have other games to play and if you dont, go sit outside, bird watch, people watch, hell, do anything other then drive yourself crazy over a ****ing direct. You all are gonna make yourselves sick

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I don't buy the FP7 not being revealed in the direct. The amiibos are coming in a few months already and the "new" in the fighter tab of the main site of smash ultimate disappeared in LESS than a month. Plus the company making trailers for smash started working in April, and even if they dont have gameplay to show they can just reveal it with a cinematic only like Terry.

Also Nate didn't know about the direct existing before Kelios's tweet started to explode more, and now Nate agrees with him lol. He also didn't know about Pokemon Snap, he doesn't know everything, he has said so himself and even the people on Era.
"Smash too soon" is speculative and I don't buy it given the site updating to remove "New" from Min Min and the playlist updating a few days ago. Those are literally the only two things that are actual hints for a character reveal
Are you guys talking about the main site of Smash Ultimate Right?

I went to Smashbros.com, went to the character index (which is numerical order by default) and the "NEW" tab is still on Min Min.

This doesnt even have to do with Geno

But MAN

Nate Drake and GameXplain’s predictions made me feel sick to my stomach.

they both said no Smash reveal until later in the year and speculated the arms nonsense happening again.

Complete hype killer right there.
Did they specify the franchise? I only can see it on Pokémon when it comes to first party franchises, and maybe the likes of Tales when it comes to Third Parties.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So is there any precedent for a direct being announced this late or should I pour all my hopes into a mysterious shadow drop tomorrow?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Bros, go play some other games, I know you all have other games to play and if you dont, go sit outside, bird watch, people watch, hell, do anything other then drive yourself crazy over a ****ing direct. You all are gonna make yourselves sick
Why don't you go do that? I understand what you mean but it's like, let people speculate and get excited on their own terms, you don't need to try and police the thread.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
This post was warned for trolling and “high-roaring” behavior. - Venus
Why don't you go do that? I understand what you mean but it's like, let people speculate and get excited on their own terms, you don't need to try and police the thread.
I mean, I am Im more worried that you are gonna get too obsessed with this no news and stress yallselves sick

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I already beat Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, and a lot of what I did for hobbies are still under lockdown like the local library and renting books/movies. Gamers just want some positive news for a change, and it's not exclusive to just the Geno thread

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I already beat Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, and a lot of what I did for hobbies are still under lockdown like the local library and renting books/movies. Gamers just want some positive news for a change, and it's not exclusive to just the Geno thread
then my message is for everyone then. I know it isnt the same for everyone but I watch twitch, listen to music, Just sit in the backyard. I cant beat animal crossing or rhythm games so I flip flop between Taiko amd AC. I legit mean well and I legit just dont want people stressing themselves sick from expecting nintendo to give them news. It will drive you crazy

D

Deleted member

I’ll believe a bit longer we get something.

in terns if a character.

Hopefully Direct soon?

D

Deleted member

I don't think folks have to worry about Smash. Sakurai and his team know what they're doing. Even the most controversial picks had a plethora of content. Even a gen 8 Pokemon would be interesting in terms of content.

You SHOULD be more concerned with Nintendo's game line up this year. We know nothing about what they had planned for E3. That's what I'm pessimistic about.

I don't worry about Smash at all because Sakurai delivers, unlike Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw how many pages this thread shot up, I was sure the direct had been announced and I freaked.

The truth was a bit more disappointing. Still hopin' for good vibes this coming week. :)

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
then my message is for everyone then. I know it isnt the same for everyone but I watch twitch, listen to music, Just sit in the backyard. I cant beat animal crossing or rhythm games so I flip flop between Taiko amd AC. I legit mean well and I legit just dont want people stressing themselves sick from expecting nintendo to give them news. It will drive you crazy
I get the sentiment and I agree if a persons ONLY concern in life is a Nintendo direct ... that would be bad/sad that's all you got going on. But that's pretty much impossible for a person's only concern or focus in life is a Nintendo Direct. That's a huge stretch. The irritations is a right one since Nintendo has been dead silent. There is nothing wrong with expressing frustrations for a lack of action or just SOME kind of information to the public after PUBLICLY SAYING EVERYTHING IS ON TRACK for releases and games wise.

I'd rather call them out on their lack of communication/marketing when they are "in the wrong" then just sitting there and think and say "Nintendo does no wrong, we should not question them. Just stop being mad at them since all they do is the right thing."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , with how things have been going on lately do you still think FP2 will still mostly be 3rd party or do you think it will mostly be Nintendo or half and half?
It's a confusing situation because there's decent evidence more first party content is coming but not necessarily packs. I think the remaining 5 packs of Season 2 will focus on specific third parties (Square, Microsoft, Capcom, Namco, and Activision) and there won't be another true full Nintendo pack like Min Min. Despite this, there's not going to be a Season 3 either so we're back in the same situation we were literally last August where I knew there would be content after the Fighter's Pass but the parameters of how hadn't been established yet, just that it was coming.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Remember, only the leakers said there would be some kind of Direct tomorrow. Not Nintendo themselves.

Although some people are still anxious for news, given it has been so long.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
This would be interesting to speculate! Which characters do you think would make for a fitting shared trailer with Geno?

Prince of All Cosmos definitely feels fitting. Having a whimsical design like Geno, both are star-related characters who serve a higher authority and are sent down to a planet on an important mission.

Markomaro just say Tomorrow with a Gif of Scar from The Lion King: https://twitter.com/Newmarkomaro/status/1284907324180701184?s=20
Brought back memories of that one gag video that was posted before the September Direct last year that parodies Scar and Mufasa's "You should've been first in line" scene but with the direct announcement, and Scar was a leaker,

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I went to Smashbros.com, went to the character index (which is numerical order by default) and the "NEW" tab is still on Min Min. .
Main page, not the actual fighter page.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This is really the only reason. If Nintendo didn't suck at communicating with their client-base, this would be SO much different. You dont see anyone complaining about xbox or sony because at least they have actually tried to communicate even for the minimum of news through the year.
The way Nintendo is behaving is giving me PTSD on how much I had to wait for Final Fantasy VII Remake news after like 4 years lol.
They are both releasing consoles soon, with Sony even deciding to increase production of units. Meanwhile, Nintendo can barely muster the care to show a game.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Remember, only the leakers said there would be some kind of Direct tomorrow. Not Nintendo themselves.

Although some people are still anxious for news, given it has been so long.
That's true. What if this was all just a big goose chase? Maybe the actual date of the direct falls on the one year anniversary of no normal directs sometime in September. :sadeyes:

JayZoob

Smash Rookie

I went to Smashbros.com, went to the character index (which is numerical order by default) and the "NEW" tab is still on Min Min.

Did they specify the franchise? I only can see it on Pokémon when it comes to first party franchises, and maybe the likes of Tales when it comes to Third Parties.
I noticed that also that on the character page Min Min still says new, but I am mostly referring to the home page that had a New tag on the fighter and stage options. That tag is gone and was on Byleth till shortly before Min Min was revealed

Trevenant

Smash Lord
As more and more hours go by, the more nervous I am that the supposed Direct tomorrow will be a shadowdropped Mini Direct. Their is nothing wrong with Minis, but I seriously don't wanna get spoiled with this Direct like I did with the last Direct. If that is the case, then I actually hope their ISN'T a Smash character revealed tomorrow, so that when they do reveal CP7, I can be surprised.
At this rate it probably will be unless they announce it around when they announced the AC direct which is unlikely
I think you are probably taking it too much at face value. Yes, people would like more news but I haven't seen anyone take it so seriously to an extent that they could possibly become unwell. That's what made me establish that they know video games are just video games and not to be taken as seriously as you are making out how people believe them to be. Don't really need to police discussion as that's pretty much all I see going on.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If there’s going to be a presentation, either a full Direct or Mini, there’s going to be a Smash announcement. It’d be one thing if Nintendo was holding quarterly or announcements every 4 months, but like you guys obsessively say all the time, it’s basically been a year since the last full direct and many months since the last mini direct. If they keep the same schedule, we’ll have one more mini direct and one more Direct’s worth of announcements until the end of 2021. You don’t think they’re going to do one Smash announcement now but will do 5 that way? Sure, they could hold more Sakurai presents or individual announcements, and sure, they might, but I doubt they’ll do 5 of those being the initial announcement.

I can’t see a presentation without a Smash announcement. I’m personally still going with FP7 reveal and FP8 teaser (or reveal) if we’re really considering that the DLC schedule is still on track. I don't think we have any reason to believe the release schedule has been delayed that much, so Fall 2020 and Winter 2020 for FP7 / FP8 doesn’t seem crazy at all. Sure, we could get the announcement for FP8 around when FP7 releases, but if we’re still going with the current state of announcements, you really think we’re getting a Direct now and in 2 months?

Obviously I could be wrong, but just thinking this through logically, it’d be incredibly strange to have some sort of Direct presentation after many months and not have something shown from one of their top selling franchises, especially since Smash is technically the only thing we know for sure they’re still working on besides BotW2 (and I suppose Metroid but that’s been cancelled once without any clear indication it’s been on track once restarted).

No need to be pessimistic about all this. Nintendo’s not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo were going to announce the direct, they would've done it hours ago at the usual time. There will either not be a direct tomorrow or it will be silently posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom