• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Of course it means nothing for you because it’s not Geno.
Pretty sure this is bait, but the last thing we need is discourse between Waluigi and Geno fans, and I'm saying this as someone who wants both characters. The person you replied to even mentioned how they'd like to see a Waluigi/Geno dual reveal. As for myself, I think the image might mean something, but it's fine if others think it doesn't. I mean, a bunch of non related Nintendo accounts replied to the original Pokemon post, like VIZ Media and... PUBG.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
sadly yes.

In other news. I am buying bug fables today ;) I don't think there's a better date to do it on.
Your getting bug fables too? Funny I just got that game today and I am really enjoying it so far. Its got that old school charm to it along with stunning graphics and engaging gameplay. I got just to give me a short break from my animation but I can admit that the lack of an announcement may have deflated my hype a little. I still am a believer in Monday but we don't get something by Sunday, I think we gotta wait till august.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure this is bait, but the last thing we need is discourse between Waluigi and Geno fans, and I'm saying this as someone who wants both characters. The person you replied to even mentioned how they'd like to see a Waluigi/Geno dual reveal. As for myself, I think the image might mean something, but it's fine if others think it doesn't. I mean, a bunch of non related Nintendo accounts replied to the original Pokemon post, like VIZ Media and... PUBG.
Agree. We don’t need any Waluigi vs Geno arguments. I’m no detractor Waluigi. I honestly don’t mind if he’s in as long as Geno gets in during this situation because I honestly don’t think we’re getting 2 Mario characters in the same pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I went over the old Smash 4 Mii costumes, and the only ones not yet carried over to Ultimate (aside from generic ones that no one would buy separately) are those based on Gil, Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd, and (of course) Geno.

How funny would it be if Geno was added, and his accompanying Mii costumes included all of the other four?

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Don’t want to drag out this topic any further, but I wish Geno, Waluigi, and Sora fans would be able to get along better.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I got it for free..... (review purpose)....
if you like it, don’t be afraid to talk about it. I won’t be that guy that harassed a person from liking a game that I won’t play for whatever reason.

(I know Pokémon gets hate and although I agree with the “bad” stuff about it, I still like it. I’d rather love it, but it is what it is.)

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
We are becoming punching bags by so many leakers and rumors just like what happened to Ridley in the past but I hope we get the good ending soon
I kind it kinda funny how half of the thread rightfully understands on how stupid the whole GameStop thing is and how grasping it was

And then there and whole another group that generally believe GameStop is lying and basic 101 PR is "suspicious" ‍♀

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Don’t want to drag out this topic any further, but I wish Geno, Waluigi, and Sora fans would be able to get along better.
The funny thing is that all three of them are owned by different companies (Square-Enix, Nintendo, and Disney, respectively), so realistically, you wouldn't think that they'd be seen as being in competition with each other.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I kind it kinda funny how half of the thread rightfully understands on how stupid the whole GameStop thing is and how grasping it was

And then there and whole another group that generally believe GameStop is lying and basic 101 PR is "suspicious" ‍♀
look man, we've been through some serious s*** the past couple decades. This is just how we roll.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the very least, we'll probably reach page 2999 by midnight. We've come a long way from 3 years ago.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Of course it means nothing for you because it’s not Geno.
Geno and Waluigi should both be in Smash but considering this is the Geno thread it would be wildly inappropriate if we spent significant amounts of time on another character's chances

That said there's a halfway decent chance they'd share the same direct if not the same trailer

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
I have nothing better to do, so i go to 4chan and i found this which seems like a walmart add. Did somebody watched it? (Imo looks really fake): View attachment 278928
The price is wrong on the Fighter Pass, should be $29.99, not $39. Assuming it's a US ad as $299 is the switch price here.

EDIT: Also noticed that the pass has a EU rating on it, but everything else has a US rating.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna say it. No, this flyer isn’t real. There’s no way something like that would actually happen, especially with no prove of it being real to begin with. Plus the way it’s organized is insanely sloppy. Think we should move past it now.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've been meaning to ask you all. What is an underrated track from SMRPG that you personally love? For me, its the theme from Rose Town:

For some reason, this song just makes me happy and I love its upbeat and charismatic tone to it. Definitely an underrated track and I would love it if it were one of Geno's songs if he did get in Smash
Out of all the music in Super Mario RPG, the one that stuck with me more than I expected was the Mushroom Castle music.

I went over the old Smash 4 Mii costumes, and the only ones not yet carried over to Ultimate (aside from generic ones that no one would buy separately) are those based on Gil, Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd, and (of course) Geno.

How funny would it be if Geno was added, and his accompanying Mii costumes included all of the other four?
Not funny at all... in fact, that would be horrible and just make fans of those characters unnecessarily bitter about Geno getting promoted. Just let the costumes come with other characters (assuming they don't also get promoted), the only one Geno should bring with him is the Chocobo hat.

Last edited:

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Watching Geno fans in this thread reminds me of when a dog runs out to fetch a ball its owner threw, except the owner never actually threw the ball. And each time the owner throws nothing, the dog keeps running out thinking the ball is out there. again and again and again

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Ok, so from what a I can tell, here are the announcements people expect in the direct in no particular order, as compiled by the internet:

-Mario remasters
-new smash character
-BotW 2 news
-Pokemon info (though not too much, just some updates on announced projects)
-new F-Zero
-new Golden Sun
-maybe Metroid?
-Persona on the switch?

let me know what I've missed to update this.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Watching Geno fans in this thread reminds me of when a dog runs out to fetch a ball its owner threw, except the owner never actually threw the ball. And each time the owner throws nothing, the dog keeps running out thinking the ball is out there. again and again and again
You’re not wrong, but sometimes the owner does throw the ball eventually and the dog does get it in the end. =P

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So I started playing Paper Mario: The Origami King and I gotta say, albeit it may not have the RPG elements from the first two games, by looking at it as its own thing, the game is actually quite enjoyable. However, what I'd like to address is something that's in the game (or more specifically a curious happenstance) that caught my eye (HARD). Though it's no big deal but I'll give out the usual SPOILER warning in case ya'll want to be surprised.

Early on in the game, once you gain access to Picnic Road, there's a Toad house/lab at the end of that area/zone. At first it's wrapped with the red streamer. Near it there's a red mailbox that upon hitting it with the hammer, three envelopes drop. HOWEVER, these three envelopes appear to have a red "stamp" on them. They look a lot like... Smash invitations. Of course most of these origami-esque objects tend to be Toads that have been folded, but THESE three envelopes were quite the oddity. Even RogersBase himself on his playthrough noticed it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It wasn't until giving it a bit of more thought that it clicked. As it's been discussed on this thread by some of our resident scholars, expectations for E3-tier Smash reveals this time around range between two to three characters. Three Toads folded into envelopes that look VERY similar to the Smash envelopes. Could the devs have intentionally placed this easter egg not only as a nod to the Smash series, but perhaps as a heads-up of how many reveals we might get in a potential SUPER SECRET Nintendo Direct (the one we've been expecting possibly for July 20th)? If so, this was a BIG brain move.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Not funny at all... in fact, that would be horrible and just make fans of those characters unnecessarily bitter about Geno getting promoted. Just let the costumes come with other characters (assuming they don't also get promoted), the only one Geno should bring with him is the Chocobo hat.
Oh, yeah, that's actually a good point...
...and I'm amazed I forgot the Chocobo hat.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
So I started playing Paper Mario: The Origami King and I gotta say, albeit it may not have the RPG elements from the first two games, by looking at it as its own thing, the game is actually quite enjoyable. However, what I'd like to address is something that's in the game (or more specifically a curious happenstance) that caught my eye (HARD). Though it's no big deal but I'll give out the usual SPOILER warning in case ya'll want to be surprised.

Early on in the game, once you gain access to Picnic Road, there's a Toad house/lab at the end of that area/zone. At first it's wrapped with the red streamer. Near it there's a red mailbox that upon hitting it with the hammer, three envelopes drop. HOWEVER, these three envelopes appear to have a red "stamp" on them. They look a lot like... Smash invitations. Of course most of these origami-esque objects tend to be Toads that have been folded, but THESE three envelopes were quite the oddity. Even RogersBase himself on his playthrough noticed it.

It wasn't until giving it a bit of more thought that it clicked. As it's been discussed on this thread by some of our resident scholars, expectations for E3-tier Smash reveals this time around range between two to three characters. Three Toads folded into envelopes that look VERY similar to the Smash envelopes. Could the devs have intentionally placed this easter egg not only as a nod to the Smash series, but perhaps as a heads-up of how many reveals we might get in a potential SUPER SECRET Nintendo Direct (the one we've been expecting possibly for July 20th)? If so, this was a BIG brain move.
Geno, Waluigi, AND Paper Mario?!!
3 Mario reps, one is part of the Fighters Pass, and 2 bonuses.
I know that's farfetched, but it'd be equally hilarious and amazing if it happened.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're all so close to 3000 pages XD just al ittle more :D

How many people have played paper mario? The combat system get any more rewarding in the end? :p

MattX20

Smash Hero
You're all so close to 3000 pages XD just al ittle more :D

How many people have played paper mario? The combat system get any more rewarding in the end? :p
If you mean the series in general, I've played the first 3 games and enjoyed them

Oldhead

Smash Rookie

If you really want to get the tinfoil hat out, you could say that it's Mario getting three Smash invites: one for Mario, one for Dr. Mario, and one for Paper Mario....

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, we got another Paper Mario interview, it's in Spanish but people have translated it, OH BOY, here we go.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/videoj...res-tanabe-tabata-nagaya-nintendo-switch.html

• Kensuke Tanabe: At the moment, it is not possible for us to create original characters like the Goombas or modified Toads seen in past games, or to reuse such characters from past games. However, in this installment we have been able to create the two origami characters Olly and Olivia, and wear outfits for certain Toads when it suited their role. As for the game system, beyond not making it a platform game, everything is in the hands of the development team. However, an internal opinion has emerged as to whether we really need two different Mario RPG series and in order to differentiate them we have created our titles as adventure games.
  • 1. Over the past 20 years the Paper Mario series has evolved around a dilemma: Follow or break the franchise tradition and create something different. Do you think this is so? Why?
  • Kensuke Tanabe: The Paper Mario series began as a sequel to the Super Mario RPG (1996) game for Super Nintendo. In the process of coming up with a new artistic style, we ended up with a paper version of Mario and this is how Paper Mario started. From this moment on, paper became the main theme of the series and since then we have had to think about how to use this theme in the game.
  • At Nintendo, even when we work on a new installment of an established franchise, we generally don't use the same game system that was used in the previous installment. For example, the Super Mario series made the leap to 3D with advances in hardware, and each new installment makes use of unique systems. The same can be said for 2D Mario games, as we have seen with Super Mario Maker. In this regard, Paper Mario is no exception and we hope that the series will continue to change in the future.

• Kensuke Tanabe: With the exception of the central system of each series, in all the titles I've worked on, from The Legend of Zelda and Metroid series, to Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and more recently Luigi's Mansion 3, I have always wanted to create and incorporate new systems. This philosophy I have when creating games also applies to the Paper Mario series. However, even when all games are created with this same philosophy, sometimes fans welcome games and sometimes they don't. In general, for the Paper Mario series, the only element that has remained stable in each installment is the theme of paper.
  • 4. The combat system was one of the most criticized elements of the previous Paper Mario. Is it something you have taken into account when creating the new one?
    Kensuke Tanabe: For Paper Mario: The Origami King I have decided to move away from the theme of paper for battles. Instead, I've opted for a 360-degree fighting concept. In this installment, it is possible to defeat enemies at once by aligning their positions within the assigned time frame. This battle system is still turn-based command selection, but I think adding the puzzle solving element gives players a new experience.
Hahaha, Mario RPG's are dead aren't they.
This right here really aggravates me. I seriously have no idea what is so hard to make unique characters. Super Mario Odyssey managed to introduce and feature a wide variety of new and unique characters. The fact that they can't do this with PAPER MARIO of all things, a franchise that was once known for its unique cast of characters, is just appalling.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Eh I doubt it. Assuming Origami King was always slated for July, a direct revealing a character or 2 would've happened a month before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom